The ‘extremely professional, talented and technically expert’ Clifford Chance has an ‘experienced and world-class public law team, with great knowledge of the regulated sectors'. The firm has expertise in litigation and a focus on financial institutions combined with strength in the public contracts and infrastructure, telecoms, energy, pharmaceutical and financial regulatory sectors. The practice is also known for advising on regulatory law. The ‘fantastic, hardworking and vastly knowledgeable’ Jaime Almenar leads the team and specialises in general administrative law, including litigation, telecoms, financial regulation, environmental law and public procurement. José María Barrios left to join Deloitte Legal in 2018.
Public law in Spain
‘The team demonstrates a cross-sectional and extensive knowledge of the matters related to public law’
‘The team shows initiative, anticipation and flexibility in resolving the issues’
‘We have a high level of trust in their associates and, specifically, their knowledge in public law’
‘Clara Alcaraz is an excellent professional’
‘Best in class team, led by Jaime Almenar, with the valuable addition of Fernando Irurzun in 2018’
‘They have outstanding knowledge and experience plus a holistic approach to any issue, which lets them give you a very accurate view of any legal aspect that might affect the topic they are analysing’
‘Where Jaime Almenar has an edge over his peers is his creativity in finding answers and solutions to problems where others fail. You can assign him almost any issue (not only in relation to public law) and he will analyse it quickly and exhaustively from each and every legal angle. Last but not least, his work ethic is phenomenal and you can count on him to present his work before the board with total confidence’
‘Jaime Almenar has technical expertise, leadership skills, problem-solving skills and work ethic’
‘Jaime Almenar provides a clear and useful approach to all regulatory issues. He is a really top adviser on energy matters’
Ares Capital/Grupo Moove
Acquico Diagonal 177, S.L. (Hines)
- Advising Metro Ligero Oeste in an appeal against the balancing of the economy of a works concession contract to carry out a rail passenger service.
- Advising Santander Bank on the legal requirements to use some offices as work-café spaces.
- Advising Iberdrola on a whole range of regulatory matters, such as self-supply, electricity payments capacity and remuneration of renewable energy.
The multi-disciplinary team at Cuatrecasas has experience in a range of public matters and administrative litigation proceedings. The firm is known for its expertise in public procurement and public-private partnerships (PPPs), regulatory advice and environment-related work. Practice head Luis Pérez de Ayala specialises in administrative and regulatory law. Also notable is Alberto Raventós, who focuses on litigation in the civil, criminal and judicial review courts, as well as accounting and constitutional litigation. The team is advising the Spain-based listed renewable energy company Saeta Yield on regulatory issues, as well as on commercial matters relating to the takeover bid for the company proposed by Terraform Power.
- Advising AIMCo on all regulatory issues related to acquiring an undisclosed majority stake in Eolia Renovables de Inversiones, the owner of 38 assets with a net capacity of 669MW.
- Advising Asendia on the liberalisation of the postal sector and the provision of mail distribution services previously carried out by Correos under monopoly conditions.
- Advising Swissport on the appeal against the awarding of the bid for handling services in the Aena airport network in the Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo is known for its 'fantastic teamwork' and a combination of ‘expertise and a creative deal-making attitude'. The multi-disciplinary practice provides ‘availability and timely responses’ and covers a range of public law-related work, with particular skill in regulatory issues. Public law expert Carlos Vázquez leads the team and his experience includes water, energy, environment, administrative HR and tax law. Also notable are Juan Alfonso Santamaría Pastor, who focuses on administrative and public finance law, and counsel Irene Fernández Puyol, who advises on public procurement, infrastructure and water, as well as urban development law and government procurement. In a recent highlight, the department advised the leading private shareholder in Aena, TCI, on litigation against the Spanish competition authority (CNMC) in relation to Aena’s tariffs.
‘The public law team is highly specialised technically, but what differentiates it is the personalised treatment of the client’
‘I want to highlight Juan Alfonso Santamaría Pastor’
‘Very smart, great communicators, have helped us navigate various complicated legal issues’
‘Estibaliz Aranburu and Irene Fernández Puyol are both excellent and very responsive’
‘Juan Alfonso Santamaría Pastor has very extensive experience and excellent knowledge of the field but luckily is still very active and always available and service oriented’
‘Irene Fernandez Puyol and Miguel Angel Garcia Otero are highly appreciated by our organisation. We can always count on them’
‘Great expertise and knowledge of the infrastructure field in Spain’
‘Pragmatic approach and understanding of industrial client concerns’
‘Carlos Vázquez and his team are outstanding in public law’
‘They are a key element to succeed in the execution of very complex projects’
‘They are a real authority in the regulation of water and environmental law in general’
Cámara de Comercio de Madrid
Federación Española de Municipios y Provincias (FEMP)
Ferrovial / Cespa / Cintra
Taconic Capital Advisors
Técnicas Valencianas del Agua
Obrascon Huarte Lain (OHL)
Ansaldo STS España
- Advised TCI, the leading private shareholder in Aena and a member of the Aena’s board of directors, on the litigation against the CNMC in relation to AENA’s tariffs.
- Advised the Spanish Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (FEMP) on the framework agreements for the trading platform for all local entities in Spain.
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch on the administrative and regulatory aspects of the concession agreement for the public works of the high-speed rail project connecting Figueres and Perpignan.
The ‘pragmatic and result-oriented’ Garrigues focuses on administrative law, planning and environmental law, and has experience acting for various local authorities thanks to its presence across multiple jurisdictions. In addition, the practice is experienced in advising public and private entities across the various fields of public law, including public procurement, consumption, gambling, energy and infrastructure. Administrative law specialist Alfredo Fernández Rancaño leads the team and can call on the expertise of Javier Fernández Rivaya, who is experienced in regulatory and contractual matters.
‘Highly committed team, invest time and effort to understand the customer’s needs and accommodate them’
‘Rigorous and reliable, great command of administrative laws’
‘Good territorial spread in most of Spain’s regions’
‘Solid command of applicable laws and regulations’
‘Reliable, service oriented, flexible and results oriented’
‘Quickly understands what the client needs to find the solution quickly’
European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
Iberdrola Generación, S.A.U.
Centros Comerciales Carrefour, S.A. And Carrefour Property España, S.L. (Group Carrefour)
Financiera De Desarrollo Nacional
Organización Nacional De Ciegos Españoles (Once)
Aena, S.M.E., S.A.
Endesa Red, S.A.
Red Eléctrica Corporación, S.A.
Centene Corp./ Ribera Salud/ Primerosalud
Banca March, Arta Capital, Mutua Madrileña Y Azora Capital
Greystar Real Estate Partners -AXA IM – Real Assets- CBRE
- Advised on the different stages of the design and construction of new buildings for the EUIPO in Alicante.
- Advising Iberdrola Generación España on various matters related to the electricity sector and on administrative procedures and judicial review litigation in the field of electricity generation and, in particular, nuclear generation.
- Providing ongoing administrative advisory services to Centros Comerciales Carrefour and Carrefour Property España.
Pérez-Llorca specialises in regulatory, litigation and public contracts work, particularly in relation to the infrastructure sector. José Ramón de Hoces advises on administrative and regulatory matters in public law, with expertise in public procurement, public sector restructuring and privatisation processes. He co-leads the practice with Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo, who is known for public procurement, litigation, infrastructure, transport and project finance. Also notable in the team are Elena Veleiro, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and has experience in public procurement, specifically in PPPs; counsel Ana Cremades, who joined from the Ministry of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda in 2019; and Alberto Ibort, who was promoted to partner in 2020 and has expertise in town planning and environment.
Government of Spain
Government of Portugal
Government of Ecuador
- Advised Aena and the government of Spain on the enforcement of the Supreme Court ruling which declared the violation of the fundamental rights to privacy of several inhabitants of the Ciudad Santo Domingo urbanisation by the noise of aeroplanes flying over the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport.
- Advising the central bank of Portugal, Banco de Portugal, and the Portuguese Resolution Fund with regard to the various proceedings currently pending in Spain where the resolution of Banco Espírito Santo by the Portuguese resolution authorities is being challenged.
The ‘magnificent professionals’ at Uría Menéndez cover a range of public law issues, including finance, energy and infrastructure, transportation, telecoms, water and health, with particular expertise in the mining sector. The ‘professional and available’ firm also combines strong regulatory and litigation practices, with notable experience in public procurement and contracting. ‘Fantastic litigator’ Mariano Magide leads the practice and is known for his ‘understanding of Spanish and European law as well as industry and the market knowledge’. Notable in his team are José Miguel Fatás, who advises on all aspects of administrative law, especially in the pharma and financial sectors, and Jesús Remón, who focuses on national and international arbitration and litigation.
‘Excellent is the description for the Uria public law department: excellent knowledge, excellent availability, excellent work, excellent communication skills with public administration, excellent in the litigation procedures they handle’
‘They have a very practical point of view and knowledge of the activity of the company, so their advice is not just accurate but also based on the company’s needs’
‘They are much better in advice on public law than other legal firms in Spain’
‘Absolutely recommended. No doubt’
‘Despite being a senior partner and professor at the university, Mariano Magide is always available and provides advice on any issue’
‘Mariano Magide maintains strong relationships with public administrations. He is always focused on the best option for the company, which is much appreciated’
‘Mariano Magide is the top mining expert in Spain’
‘Barbara Fernandez Cobo is a hard worker who always keeps the client informed and is available for any question any time, giving different options and solutions. It is a pleasure to work with such an effective lawyer’
‘Great team and absolutely to be recommended’
‘It is a pleasure to work with the team at Uria because they work efficiently, and give exceptional and high-quality advice’
‘Pedro Ravina is an excellent lawyer, always available and very good at looking for legal solutions. He is empathic and honest’
Quirón Salud (Fresenius Group)
Grupo Agbar-Suez Environnement
Cintra (Ferrovial Group)
Ferrovial Servicios (Ferrovial Group)
- Advised Aena on the process to approve its 2020 tariffs (including a consultation process with airline associations) and representing the client before the National Court in the defence of a claim filed by two of the largest airline associations challenging its 2019 tariffs.
- Acting for Vodafone in a claim before the Supreme Court filed by the CNMC against the decision that declared the €43.5m fine imposed by the regulator on the company null and void.
- Advised Cedinsa Group on various aspects of the concession contracts under which it operates motorways, including several contractual disputes with public authorities.
The ‘very responsive, extremely professional and skilled’ Baker McKenzie is experienced in advising on public law matters and arbitrations in international, national and regional courts. The firm has regulatory and administrative law expertise, with a focus on the application of administrative legislation and the regulated sectors. The practice is also known for advising on foreign investments, methods of entry, bidding and M&A activity of Spanish infrastructure groups outside Spain. Antonio Morales joined from Latham & Watkins LLP in 2019 and specialises in energy and natural resources, with experience in arbitration. He co-leads the team with Barcelona-based Xavier Junquera, who combines a ‘deep knowledge base and extensive experience in urban law’, with ‘exceptional response times and availability’; his expertise lies in public law and regulatory issues.
‘Xavier Junquera is a very experienced and knowledgeable attorney. He is responsive and straightforward’
‘The Baker team provides the benefits of an internationally renowned law firm with a global presence with an intimate knowledge of the local legal environment’
‘The team have local expertise, but work to international standards (not generally the case in Spain), understand the needs of international investors and clients, and speak English fluently’
‘I would rank the Baker team number one’
‘Xavier Junquera is outstanding and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Working with him is a pleasure from both professional and personal perspectives. His knowledge and expertise are unparalleled, as is his professionalism and conduct’
Acciona Construccion, S.A and Acciona Construction USA Corp..
Chiesi España SA
CINTRA USA LLC, Cintra SA
- Advised Ferrovial on all public law matters related to the acquisition of a company that owns and operates ten hydroelectric power stations and two ferroalloy factories located in various municipalities of A Coruña.
- Acted for Cyopsa-Sisocia in three different appeals regarding the rejection of three claims for payment made against the Spanish Ministry of Public Works and Transport in relation to public road construction, due to the extra costs borne by the client.
- Advising Armonea’s subsidiary in Spain (La Saleta) on a sale and lease back transaction for ten care homes for the elderly located in Spain.
CMS Albiñana y Suárez de Lezo is known for advising the Spanish public sector on matters of administrative law, public procurement and regulatory law. The firm has particular expertise in public procurement processes, as well as disputes in the area. Former state attorney and public law expert Ignacio Grangel joined in 2019 from the private sector to head the firm’s public law and regulated sectors department. Co-leading the team with him are César Albiñana, Javier Torre de Silva and Juan José Zabala.
‘Experience, availability, adaptability to the conditions and requirements necessary to complete the work’
‘Experience and great technical and practical abilities’
‘Javier Torre de Silva stands out for his excellent professional quality at all levels’
‘CMS is among the best offices in Spain’
‘Javier Torre de Silva deserves a special mention because of his advanced knowledge of public law’
Ferrovial Group (including Fundación CI3 and Cintra)
UTE Sarriá de Ter (Aldesa Construcciones – Coalvi)
Boluda Corporación Marítima
Red Eléctrica de España
- Advised Banco Popular with regards to three disciplinary proceedings initiated by the CNMV against the bank for alleged infringements of the MiFID regulation.
- Advises Ferrovial Group on public law issues, especially matters related to Brexit.
- Advised Caverel Assets, one of the leading service companies dedicated to private-hire driver (VTC) licences, on challenging new regulations restricting their use and claiming from the state the corresponding compensation for this regulatory change through both the administrative and judicial channels.
The ‘excellent, goal-oriented and 100% focused’ Hogan Lovells International LLP specialises in cross-border work and advises on the full spectrum of issues, from judicial proceedings against local or national public entities to bidding processes and waste management matters. Santiago Garrido is an expert in environmental law, climate change, public procurement and the energy and natural resources sectors. He co-leads the practice with Lucas Osorio, who focuses on infrastructure and PPP-related advice.
‘They look for the most efficient result from an economic point of view.’
‘Mutual confidence and maximum collaboration’
‘Deep knowledge of the Spanish public law business approach’
‘Availability and engagement’
‘They have full and perfect knowledge of Spanish and international law, and they know how to defend our interests based on the law’
‘Lucas Osorio and Santiago Garrido are highly reliable’
‘They work non-stop to deliver the appropriate answer at all times’
‘Their knowledge of the Spanish legal system is remarkable’
Via Olmedo (Vías)
SIGRE Medicamento y Medio Ambiente
Refinería Balboa (Grupo Gallardo Balboa)
Transportes Ferroviarios de Madrid, S.A. (Globalvía)
- Advising HomeAway on various regulatory matters involving the tourism sector, land planning matters, and Spanish public administration issues.
Linklaters specialises in the regulated sectors, notably energy, infrastructure and telecoms, providing standalone advice as well as supporting the transactional practice. The firm advises Ibex-35 index and large non-listed companies on public law issues. On the transactional side, the practice works with the corporate, banking and dispute resolution departments on various matters. José Giménez leads the team and has broad advisory and contentious experience, particularly in sectors with a regulatory component.
Red Eléctrica de España
- Advising Santander, CaixaBank and Bankia on their claim for damages against the government over the Castor gas storage facility, for money they advanced to cover the hole in the failed project’s finances.
- Advising Iberdrola on several regulatory matters.
- Advising Telefónica on a dispute regarding the monthly access fees to be paid for the use of its unbundled local loop service (bucle de abonado).
Best known for advising on government contracts, Ramón y Cajal Abogados has particular expertise in concessions and PPP schemes, as well as providing regulatory advice. The department acts for clients across the energy, water, waste, transport, pharmaceuticals, health and social services, and telecoms sectors. The firm also has experience in defending clients before the contentious administrative courts in sectors including energy, water, waste, transport, pharmaceuticals and health. Pablo Silván leads the team and focuses on advising clients in the infrastructure, public services and energy sectors.
‘Speed and efficiency in resolving the issues raised where time was of the essence’
‘Deep knowledge of the matter and of all the facts, data and difficulties that surrounded it, so that the final result was adapted to the required needs’
‘Their dedication to the matter not only in its most theoretical aspect, but the detailed analysis of the facts and data that surround it, as well as their empathy towards our needs and their dedication and attention to our timeline and way of working’
Almería Gypsum Ltd. (a subsidiary of the Etex Group)
Iridium Concesiones de Infraestructuras (ACS Group)
Madrid Calle 30
Mémora Servicios Funerarios
General de Galerías
Hotel Business Association of Madrid
- Acted for Almería Gypsum in different proceedings derived from the decision not to renew the extension of a mining concession of a gypsum quarry.
- Acting for ArcelorMittal in actions against the Spanish Ministry for Ecological Transition regarding access to the electrical distribution network from one of the company’s factories in Spain.
- Advising Madrid Calle 30 on public procurement and regulatory matters, particularly regarding the performance of the M-30 public works concession.
The ‘talented, hardworking and dedicated’ Allen & Overy advises on a range of administrative and regulatory issues, focusing on key sectors including infrastructure, public procurement, transport, energy and TMT. Practice head Pablo Mayor has ‘immense knowledge of public administration and the courts of justice’, as well as experience in advising on administration and private entities. Recent highlights include advising Disney Channel on all regulatory and administrative matters in Spain.
‘The A&O team are really strong because they have very good knowledge about public law issues, and know how to manage them rapidly’
‘They have deep knowledge about public administration and how it works’
‘They are very fast in giving responses to all the legal doubts we have regarding our regulatory framework’
‘They have great capabilities in consulting and acting in front of courts’
‘Pablo Mayor has excellent technical knowledge about public law and administration’
‘Victoria Martin is an excellent and extraordinary team member. She has superb knowledge about public laws and always gives us the fast and high-quality responses that we, as a big corporate, need to deal with public law issues’
‘Knowledge on the subject and speed of response’
‘Knowledge of the administration and of their economic importance for the company is outstanding’
‘Pablo Mayor has an instinctive ability to quickly understand the economic details of the issues, and his capacity to adapt to the demands of the clients is unmatched’
Distrito Castellana Norte (formerly Desarrollo Urbanístico Chamartín)
SICE (ACS subsidiary)
- Advised MTV, the basic cable and satellite television channel, on all regulatory and administrative matters in Spain.
- Advised Cellnex on all matters relating to the services provided by the company, including consultations, administrative proceedings and contentious administrative proceedings before the courts.
- Advising BBVA on administrative law issues (including the implementation of the partial redevelopment plan for Paseo de la Castellana, the main north-south avenue in Madrid).
Specialising in regulation, DLA Piper has particular experience in project finance for infrastructure, as well as public administration and procedures. The firm's focus includes public procurement procedures and the public infrastructure, energy, industrial, chemical, healthcare and military sectors. José Ignacio Monedero advises on renewable energies, infrastructure, the pharmaceutical industry, public procurement, environment and public administration. He co-leads the practice with business public law expert José Manuel Sala.
‘Deep knowledge of regulated sectors’
‘Ability to work with numerous groups of companies and internal lawyers at the same time’
‘Timely follow-up of matters’
‘Extensive experience in public law’
‘Extensive experience in large public projects’
‘José Manuel Sala Arquer and José Ignacio Monedero are recommended’
St Jude Medical / Abbott
Lubrizol Advanced Materials Spain
Saint Jude Medical
- Advising St. Jude Medical on public contracts and tenders involving the company and its operations in Spain.
- Advised CaixaBank on banking contracts with the public administration.
- Advised Grupo Gallardo Balboa on contractual, administrative and environmental matters.
Public law boutique GTA Villamagna Abogados specialises in cross-border matters related to regulation. As well as experience in a range of litigation, the firm provides sector-specific knowledge, with notable expertise in energy, infrastructure and construction. Ernesto García-Trevijano has particular strength in the energy sector and co-leads the practice with public law specialist Marta Plaza, who is known for public procurement work.
‘The firm has important experience in the field of public law and, in particular, contracts with the public sector’
‘Its best quality is the ease of finding solutions to the most complicated problems and transmitting tranquility at all times’
‘Ernesto García-Trevijano stands out’
‘Marta Plaza and Jesus Estrada are recommended for their good work’
UTE Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales, S.A. – Cadagua, S.A.
Members Of The National Orchestra Of Spain
Autopista Madrid Sur Concesionaria Española, S.A.; Autopista Madrid Levante Concesionaria, S.A.; Autopista Guadalmedina Concesionaria Española, S.A.
Concesionaria Costa Del Sol, S.A. And Caixabank, S.A.
Ibisan Sociedad Concesionaria, S.A. (FCC subsidiary)
Althea Healthcare España, S.L.
Cespa Gestión De Residuos, S.A.U.
Obrascon Huarte Laín S.A. (OHL)
Ence Energía Y Celulosas, S.A
- Advising the temporary business association formed by Valoriza Servicios Medioambientales and Cadagua on the settlement procedure as a result of the termination of the contract for the construction and operation of a thermal sludge drying unit in Madrid.
- Advised the members of the National Orchestra of Spain regarding changes to the employment relationship between members and the public administration, which bring them closer to the status of civil servants.
- Advising Autopista Madrid Sur Concesionaria Española, Autopista Madrid Levante Concesionaria Española and Autopista del Guadalmedina Concesionaria Española on several state liability claims they have filed before the Spanish Council of Ministers.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP’s public law practice has an industry focus, primarily in the energy and natural resources, environment and infrastructure sectors. Regulation and litigation are also key strengths for the firm. The team is co-led by Iria Calviño, who has experience advising major corporations, global investment banks, equity sponsors and public entities in domestic and cross-border transactions; Ignacio Paz, who is an infrastructure, energy and natural resources specialist; and Miguel Riaño, who is focused on energy, environment, infrastructure, natural resources and public law matters.
‘A good team, very complementary and receptive to client proposals’
‘Iria Calviño is a very good professional, and very client-friendly’
‘The strength of the public law team is its high level of knowledge in the energy sector’
‘They stand out for their availability and empathy for the client, and for the good quality to price ratio that makes them very competitive’
Pamplona Capital Management
Ingesport Health and Spa Consulting
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles
Antin Infrastructure Partners
DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief U.A
- Advised Pamplona Capital Management on the potential acquisition of up to 100% of the share capital of the Spanish company Grupo Ibérica de Congelados, which operates certain installations in Spanish ports under port concessions, as well other establishments for the storage and distribution of seafood products.
- Advised DIF Infrastructure V Coöperatief on the acquisition of a hospital concessionaire in Spain.
- Advised Ingesport Health and Spa Consulting on the €200m refinancing of its existing debt granted by Intermediate Capital Group, including reviewing the public works concession agreements, public services management agreements, ground leases and public domain concessions by means of which Ingesport and its subsidiaries operate sports centres.
DWF-RCD advises on a range of administrative and public law matters, as well as specialising in IP, technology transfer, litigation and regulatory issues. The firm is known for advising on entrepreneurship policies, urban planning and public research organisations. Ignasi Costas focuses on the regulatory and public law aspects of innovation, technology transfer and research results. He co-leads the practice with Eva Gimenez Corrons, who has expertise in administrative and urban planning, as well as public contracting and local law. Also notable in the team is Alejandro Griffiths, who was promoted to partner in 2019 and has particular experience in international procurement.
‘Knowledge and customer care’
‘Very involved with deep understanding of the public sector’
BROSETA Abogados is active advising public administration bodies and institutions, as well as representing public entities and companies in public law matters. The firm’s expertise covers the energy sector, PPPs, public procurement, urban law and litigation. The team is co-led by Rosa Vidal, Rosa Sanz Cerezo, Fernando Cacho and Nuria Portell.
Eversheds Sutherland Nicea's primary specialities are infrastructure, public services, PPPs and public procurement. As well as litigation and arbitration expertise, the firm provides particular experience in the pharmaceutical, health and transport sectors. Alberto Dorrego de Carlos focuses on government contracts, public infrastructure, administrative concessions and PPPs. He co-leads the practice with Andrés Jimenéz Diaz, who advises on public procurement, the granting of contracts and public-private co-operation.
‘The team puts into play the experience of the whole office, at the service of our interests’
‘Alberto Dorrego brings together experience, ability and skills that are very difficult to find in other professionals in his field’
‘Especially noteworthy is its capacity for strategic vision in relation to regulatory frameworks and political environments’
Merck Sharp & Dome (MSD)
Alsa (National Express)
Marcas De Restauración
Suez Spain – Agbar
- Advising Alsa on its dispute with the Madrid Regional Transport Consortium regarding several regional transport concessions.
- Advised Fecalbus on an administrative action challenging the tender documents published to govern the public service transport concession contract for several Spanish roads.
- Representing Pfizer in an administrative and judicial action challenging the resolution issued by the Spanish authorities regarding the 2018 reference price system of medicines.
EY Abogados specialises in regulatory matters, providing advice and representation before the courts and regulatory authorities. The firm has experience acting in disputes related to administrative concessions and construction contracts, particularly cross-border issues in the construction, aviation and telecoms sectors. Félix Plasencia Sanchez focuses on regulation and public law. He co-leads the practice with Pilar Fernández Bozal, whose expertise includes public contracts, concessions, sanctioning procedures and environmental law.
‘Work capacity, motivation, involvement’
‘Félix Plasencia Sanchez and his team have the ability to analyse and understand the basic problem and propose different possible solutions in co-ordination with our company’
‘They have great technical knowledge on the subject and they approach the resolution of conflict from a practical and effective point of view’
‘Félix Plasencia Sanchez has a good team of professionals’
Gestión De Infraestructuras De Castilla-La Mancha/ Agencia Del Agua De Castilla-La Mancha
Radio Televisión Madrid
Excavaciones Viuda De Sáinz
Autonomous Government Of Castilla-La Mancha
- Advising AstraZeneca on adapting to legislation on the common administrative procedure for public administrations.
- Advising Compass Group on issues related to public contracts with public administrations and public entities in Spain.
- Advised Agencia del Agua de Castilla-La Mancha on the regularisation of numerous contracts for the construction and use of waste water treatment stations.
Andersen advises private companies and public authorities on a range of contentious and non-contentious public law issues. The firm has experience in advising on public contracts and the implementation of private initiative participation models in public infrastructure development projects. José Vicente Morote leads the team and focuses on public and regulatory law, public procurement and regulated sectors, particularly infrastructure, construction and urbanism. Also notable is former state attorney Miguel Nieto, who joined in 2019 from Administrador de Infraestructuras Ferroviarias and specialises in infrastructure.
‘Strength and know-how about the issues and the ways to resolve problems with the public administration’
‘Strong level of professionalism’
‘This firm, despite being a large law firm, works as a boutique. You always get prompt feedback from them’
‘A strength of this team is that they anticipate different scenarios and their pros and cons’
‘Andersen is a multi-disciplinary firm that is characterised by providing a global service in the field of public law’
‘Its main strength is the advice it provides to public administrations, being practically the only firm of this size that offers it’
‘José Vicente Morote is an excellent professional with great preparation and technical capacity. He is one of the best in this area’
‘Full availability and knowledge of the areas where we work’
‘José Vicente Morote is a great professional’
‘Jaime Aguilar is phenomenal in negotiations with suppliers’
Valencian Institute Of Oncology Foundation (Ivo)
DMS (Desarrollo De Medios Y Sistemas)
UTE Energía Galicia
UTE Plaza 1
City Sighseeing World Wide
Commonwealth Of Municipalities In Southern Madrid
- Providing Avanzalia Solar with a legal and taxation due diligence report.
- Advising Inditex on the administrative law issues surrounding the establishment of a logistics centre by one of its subsidiaries on a plot subject to tender by Valencia Plataforma Intermodal y Logística.
- Acting for Acciona in a claim against the state for damages suffered as a consequence of the entry into force of a royal decree introducing urgent measures to guarantee the financial stability of the electricity system, and subsequent development regulations.
Ashurst LLP has experience in public regulation, public procurement, public infrastructure contracts, energy regulation and public sanctioning procedures. Practice head Pablo Garcia-Manzano joined the firm in 2018 from the Spanish Ministry of Energy, Tourism and Digital Agenda, where he was Deputy Secretary of State. He brings broad expertise in public law, particularly in relation to the infrastructure and energy sectors.
‘The previous experience of the partners gives them a global vision of the issues that other offices do not have’
‘Jose Antonio Rodriguez stands out for his solid experience’
Iridium (ACS Group)
Shareholders of NGC Banco S.A.
- Acting for Grupo Eulen on filing a special appeal relating to contracting.
- Advising Parcesa, Parques de la Paz on an alleged abuse of dominant position case in the Spanish funeral sector.
- Advised Elliott Advisors on a potential investment in a Spanish listed company.
The 'quick, efficient and experienced' MA Abogados provides a range of public law advice related to the maritime and ports, social and healthcare, and inland transport sectors. The firm has experience in contentious administrative proceedings, public authority liability and procurement procedures, as well as the execution of public contracts. Public law specialist Sofía Acuña Dorado co-leads the practice with Salvador Bueno Miguel, who focuses on public economic law and advice to local and regional public administrative bodies.
‘MA ABOGADOS provides complete legal advice in civil, commercial and administrative law’
‘They are able to provide not only proper advice but also full legal support in case of litigation’
‘They provide quick and efficient legal support and they know our business very well’
‘MA Abogados’ public law department stands out because they act with integrity, make a difference in the execution of their work, are interested in their clients, and work as a team’
‘The continuous training of its employees is the firm’s main asset’
ONTIER provides 'great knowledge of the subject matter’, as well as ‘experts with a focus on understanding customer needs and providing clear insights on the legal implications and recommended courses of action'. The firm’s specialities include constitutional law, litigation and advising on competition mandates within the scope of administrative proceedings, notably anti-competitive practices, state aid and disputes. Pedro Rubio Escobar is an expert in procedural, administrative and arbitration law. He co-leads the practice with the ‘approachable, available, diligent and trustworthy’ Jorge Álvarez, who focuses on administrative matters.
‘They supported us through all the required legal steps to set up a newly formed legal entity, including advising on the cumbersome relationships with the regional government’
‘Fast reaction times, always available to help and react to urgent requests with short-term deadlines’
‘Great knowledge of the legal scenarios we had to deal with, providing those small but critical details that allowed us to complete the project successfully’
‘Knowledge of our company, and the sector’
‘Total availability of the partners and managers of the office’
‘Jorge Álvarez stands out for his experience and knowledge in the field’
‘The innovative spirit, the desire for achievement, personal and professional customer support’
‘Pedro Rubio is a magnificent professional and an excellent person. Always affordable, and a great communicator’
‘Bernardo Gutierrez de la Roza brings an entrepreneurial spirit, continuous innovation and an enormous capacity to generate alliances. His role as CEO of the firm says it all’
‘Jorge Alvarez Gonzalez delivers expected outcomes in a timely manner’
‘Pelayo Garcia-Bernardo Albornoz has great knowledge in the field, and is quick and clear in communications and the turn-around of requests. Trustworthy and professional, always a pleasure to work and interact with’
Antonio Del Valle Ruiz
Vector Ronda, group of companies
Fomento de Construcciones y Contratas
Corporación de Recursos Iberia
Ministerio para la Transición Ecológica
Fundacion Barrié de la Maza
Ayuntamiento de Gijón
Ayuntamiento de Castro-Urdiales
Pequeños y Medianos Astilleros Sociedad De Reconversion (Pymar)
- Advised Telice in a judicial procedure challenging an administrative fine imposed by the National Commission on Markets and Competition (CNMC).
- Acted for Antonio Del Valle and some former members of Banco Popular’s board of directors in an appeal before the Court of Justice of the European Union against the Single Resolution Board and the European Commission’s resolution action taken in respect of Banco Popular Español.
- Advised Corporación Recursos Iberia in a judicial procedure challenging the revocation by the regional government of Andalucía of the authorisation for the transmission of mining rights for the Lomero-Poyatos goldmine in the province of Huelva.
PwC Tax & Legal Services
The multi-disciplinary practice of PwC Tax & Legal Services advises public administrations at national, regional and local levels, as well as leading corporations in the private sector. The department covers the spectrum of public law work, from public sector restructuring and public procurement to PPP schemes and contentious administrative proceedings. In addition, the firm provides regulatory expertise, including in the life sciences, health, energy and planning sectors. The team is co-led by Arancha Bengoechea, Fernando Calancha Marzana, David Mellado, Rafael Fernández Bautista and José Luis Nores.
Metro De Madrid,S.A.
Comunidad De Madrid
Principado De Asturias
Generalitat De Cataluña
- Advising Aena on a wide spectrum of matters related to public procurement in special sectors.
- Assisted Ciralsa, Autopista de la Costa Calida and Accesos De Madrid Concesionaria Española with public contracts termination procedures.
- Advising Mundiplan on the tender for a public contract for the organisation, management and execution of a social tourism programme for the elderly and maintenance of employment in tourist areas, tendered by the Institute for the Elderly and Social Services (IMSERSO).