The healthcare and life sciences department at Clifford Chance remains a ‘go-to’ firm in this space, fielding a team ‘made up of very experienced lawyers in the sector’ benefiting from extensive knowledge ‘about the problems of the industry’. In particular, clients seek the team for its ‘excellent quality of work’, with key areas of expertise including IP, patent litigation, regulatory work and M&A transactions. The group is led by a four-partner team in Barcelona; ‘benchmark‘ partner Miquel Montañá and Josep Montefusco head the dispute resolution offering, Guillermo Guardia spearheads corporate matters, while Carme Briera showcases a strong specialism on the regulatory front. Associate Adrián Crespo combines IP and dispute resolution experience to support the team on IP and unfair competition proceedings.
Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences in Spain
Miquel Montañá; Josep Montefusco; Guillermo Guardia; Carme Briera
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is made up of a group of very experienced lawyers in the sector, knowledgeable about the problems of the industry and with a portfolio of clients that allows them to benchmark. Especially strong in the drug pricing and reimbursement system, among other specialties. Very few teams in other firms in Spain have the industry knowledge that Clifford Chance has.’
‘The experience acquired after years of specialization is an important plus for this team. The team has the figure of Miquel Montaná, a benchmark in Spain and Europe in his specialty. Miquel is fully involved in the firm’s affairs and contributes his knowledge from decades of full dedication to the life sciences sector.’
‘They are lawyers with a lot of experience and knowledge in the matter. Excellent quality of work.’
‘Clifford Chance attorneys are very efficient. The quality of their work is excellent as well as their response time. They are very close with the client and have the ability to explain technical issues to legal and business profiles.’
‘The Clifford Chance IP team is one of the ‘go-to’ teams for Life Sciences/IP work in Spain. Their pragmatic and responsive approach, combined with their depth of knowledge means that they are often a key part of the multi-jurisdictional teams a client may assemble.’
‘Josep Montefusco, Adrian Crespo and Ana Beneto are a formidable team advising on technical and strategic IP matters in the Life Sciences sector. Their depth of knowledge, coupled with their responsiveness and their pragmatic approach makes them extremely effective and highly valued by clients.’
Illumina Cambridge Limited
Bial Portela & Cª
Nutrition & Santé
Phunciona Gestión Hospitalaria
- Representing a world-leading provider of genomic-based diagnostic tests in the field of cancer in patent infringement proceedings against competing entities accused of patent infringement.
- Representing Illumina in patent infringement proceedings against MGI Latvia Tech SIA and Commercial Rafer.
- Representing Pfizer in a reorganisation project involving the separation of its consumer health division.
As a leading boutique, Faus Moliner is recognised for being ‘one of the best in pharmaceutical law‘, with a focus on the life sciences and medical devices sector that extends to national and multinational companies, big pharma corporations and smaller biotech start-ups. Leading the practice in Barcelona is founding and managing partner Jordi Faus, who is considered a ‘benchmark in legal advice in the pharmaceutical sector’, evidenced by his longstanding focus on pharma policy projects, compliance projects, commercial agreements and transactions. Also a founding partner, litigation expert Xavier Moliner is another key contact, often handling administrative as well as civil and commercial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Xavier Moliner; Lluis Alcover
‘They are one of the best in pharmaceutical law. They also have very good negotiating skills.’
‘Jordi Faus has great knowledge of the sector and an outstanding negotiating capacity. Lluis Alcover is efficient and pragmatic.’
‘Faus & Moliner have a great knowledge of the pharma market and offer practical and operational legal solutions.’
‘Flexibility, knowledge of the pharma business and adapting to the needs of the client.’
‘Total closeness, availability, experience, knowledge, adaptation.’
‘The Faus & Moliner team stands out for many reasons: their human quality, their availability, their practical approach to solving customer problems and their deep theoretical and practical knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry. They are without a doubt the benchmark firm for matters in the sector.’
‘Jordi Faus is a benchmark in legal advice in the pharmaceutical sector. His experience, technical knowledge, negotiating skills and contacts in the different spheres of influence in the industry are invaluable to clients.’
- Advised various companies in connection with the procedures to be followed in Spain for a medicinal product to be reimbursed by the Spanish National Health System.
- Representing various industrial and insurance companies in cases involving claims filed by consumers, alleging damages allegedly caused by defective medicinal products or medical devices.
- Advised Novartis and Pfizer in connection with rulings of the Spanish Transparency Council regarding the publication of confidential information related to the price of various products.
Fieldfisher JAUSAS continues to consolidate its position as a leading firm in the life sciences field after 50 years in the sector. Led by renowned practitioner Héctor Jausàs, a seasoned specialist in the pharmaceutical industry, the firm exhibits a ‘high level of expertise in general pharmaceutical legislation’, with additional experience acting in regulatory, compliance, antitrust, employment, IP, data protection and corporate matters. Jausàs is accompanied by senior associate Gemma Colomer, who draws on previous experience working for companies in this sector to advise on regulatory issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘Specialists in the pharma sector that offer real solutions to real cases.’
‘Humility and simplicity in responding to queries. Great people and great professionals.’
‘They are lawyers with extensive experience in the sector. The quality of the work they do is very good.’
- Assisted an international health technology company in establishing its internal policy on interactions with HCPs and the public via social networks.
- Represented a leading pharmaceutical company before Spanish courts against a shortage-related fine.
- Advised a leading pharmaceutical company in addressing competition concerns regarding their supply agreements with the health service.
Uría Menéndez‘s health group offers a multidisciplinary offering underlined by an impressive track record, acting in contentious and non-contentious matters while keeping ‘well aware of new developments‘ in the field. The practice is led by a three-partner team, each with their own focus. In Madrid, Teresa Paz-Ares is a key name to note on the regulatory, commercial and transactional front, while Mariano Magide is highly sought by clients for public law issues. Barcelona-based Montiano Monteagudo is a recognisable name when it comes to IP matters. At the associate level, standout lawyers include Beatriz Cocina and Francisco Javier García, who is noted as ‘highly experienced‘. IP specialist José Massaguer retired in January 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Beatriz Cocina; Francisco Javier García; Ingrid Pi
‘The assignments made to this firm have always been attended to under the prism of teamwork between the different lawyers in the area in question, generating an environment of full trust with the client.’
‘The predisposition and agility in responding to queries without delay and the great knowledge of law by the lawyers.’
‘The Uría lawyers are up-to-date not only with developments in this area but also with other adjacent and relevant ones for companies in the sector. It can cover all needs without having to rely on several providers.’
‘Ingrid Pi has outstanding technical skills and deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical business. She is also good in proposing preventive actions.’
‘The team has skilled lawyers with a focus on new developments in the life sciences industry. They are well aware of new developments and always responsive.’
‘Francisco Javier García Pérez is highly experienced , especially with respect to multi jurisdictional clinical trial projects. He is responsive and reliable.’
Reckitt Benckiser Healthcare
Nuevo Hospital de Burgos
- Advising one of Spain’s largest private hospital groups and several concessionaire companies on the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advised several pharmaceutical companies and the Pharmaceutical Industry Association on matters related to the possibility of promoting medicines which are still pending a resolution on price and reimbursement.
- Advised an American venture capital fund on the due diligence and bidding process of the Spanish-based fertility services giant IVI-RMA.
Baker McKenzie‘s healthcare group is appreciated for being ‘knowledgeable about its client’s business’, with a practice covering regulatory, commercial, tax, IP, data protection, litigation and M&A advice. Barcelona-based partner Montserrat Llopart, noted as a ‘reference’ in the market, leads the team alongside Cecilia Pastor in Madrid. With over 55 years of combined experience, Llopart provides expert advice on a range of regulatory matters and specialised contracts, while Pastor focuses on commercial contracts and corporate restructurings. Bolstering the firm’s regulatory and compliance offering is Ester Navas.
Other key lawyers:
‘Baker McKenzie provides added value superior to other offices. In addition to providing quick and correct legal advice, they are knowledgeable about its client’s business and the way of working and they adapt to it. In addition, they complement their work with personalized and face-to-face training sessions focused on our day to day.’
‘The plus is the knowledge of the business and the day-to-day of the legal department. They are aware of ways of working and the internal demands. They care about knowing the needs of the business in order to be able to give legal advice appropriate to specific needs. Montserrat Llopart is a reference.’
Archer Daniel Midlands
BMS – Celgene
Bristol Myers Squibb Company
Carestream Health Spain
Chiesi España, S.A.
Johnson & Johnson
Laboratorios Farmaceuticos Rovi
Menarini / Menarini Diagnostics
- Acted as lead counsel for Zimmer Biomet in EMEA in its worldwide spin-off process of its spine and dental business.
- Acted on behalf of Becton Dickinson to create the new Embecta company.
- Advising AbbVie on the post-acquisition integration of Allergan into AbbVie, for both Spain and Portugal.
Bird & Bird
The life sciences practice at Bird & Bird offers a multidisciplinary approach to clients in the pharmaceutical market, with key areas of work including patent litigation, corporate and commercial transactions, IP, product liability and regulatory matters. Public law specialist Coral Yáñez, Lourdes Ayala, an expert in corporate and M&A, Manuel Lobato, who specialises in IP and pharma, and IP litigator José Miguel Lissén jointly lead the practice. Enrique Rivas is a standout from the associate ranks, active in regulatory matters. Teresa Mercadal departed the firm in August 2021.
Coral Yáñez; Manuel Lobato; José Miguel Lissén; Lourdes Ayala
Other key lawyers:
Edgewell Personal Care Spain
Procter & Gamble
- Advising Edgewell Personal Care Spain SL in relation to a file opened by AEMPS based on an inspection that was carried out on companies in the sunscreen cream market.
- Advising Lyophilization Services of New England on the bidding process for the sale of 100% of the share capital of the company for a company valuation of $1.5bn to PCI Pharma Services.
- Advised AQuAS in relation to two pre-commercial public procurement projects linked to regulatory aspects in the areas of life sciences and innovation.
With a presence in Barcelona, Madrid and Málaga, powerhouse firm Cuatrecasas fields a specialised team, which is regularly retained by biotechnology, medical devices and personal care companies as well as hospitals and research institutes. Matters for these often involve M&A, regulatory, digital health, pharmaceutical compliance, data protection, intellectual property, litigation and tax advice. The five-partner leadership team features Elena Cuatrecasas and Mariano Ucar, responsible for M&A, Jorge Robles, a regulatory specialist, IP expert Jorge Llevat, and Irene Moreno, who has notable experience in antitrust issues.
Elena Cuatrecasas; Mariano Ucar; Jorge Robles; Jorge Llevat; Irene Moreno
- Advised Lacer on its sale to Italfármaco.
- Advised Esteve Química on the acquisition of the business unit, as well as the factory of Uquifa.
- Adviced Hipra on selling 250 million doses of the Covid vaccine to the European Union.
Noted for its ‘detailed knowledge of the sector’, Eversheds Sutherland exhibits a notable focus on patent litigation and licensing matters, with further expertise in regulatory compliance and product liability. Litigation and patent expert Kiko Carrión leads the practice alongside the ‘outstanding‘ Marta González and Alberto Dorrego. While González is noted for patent infringements, product liability claims and unfair competition, Dorrego is recognised for his experience in public procurement, infrastructure and concessions. Senior associate Eduardo Buitrón is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘These are flexible teams of lawyers with knowledge of their clients’ business. In addition, the relationship and communication is fluid, which leads to increased trust. This is, without a doubt, its strength compared to other firms.’
‘Teamwork. Deep knowledge of the topics of the sector. Excellent communication.’
‘Detailed knowledge of the sector and great proactivity.’
‘Marta González and Francisco Carrión are two outstanding attorneys. They are very proactive.’
Ion Beam Applications
Merck & Co
Becton & Dickinson
The life sciences and healthcare group at Garrigues demonstrates ‘excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector and great technical expertise’, with a particular focus advising pharmaceutical companies and manufacturers of healthcare products on M&A transactions and regulatory compliance. Other key areas of work for the firm include intellectual property, financing, data protection, tax law, antitrust law and product liability. José Fernández-Rañada heads the Madrid-based team, which includes IP specialist Carolina Pina and public procurement expert Javier Manchado.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector and great technical expertise.’
‘Jose Fernandez-Rañada is one of the best lawyers in Spain. His knowledge and his adaptation to the culture of a client’s company makes him provide an even better service.’
‘Incredible service on many topics with an emphasis on business, data protection, intellectual property, labour.’
‘Excellent professionals at a technical level, at the level of speed and availability and quality of care, always connecting with specialists in different subjects and always focused on getting the best possible solution.’
AstraZeneca Farmaceútica Spain
- Advised MCH and other investors on the acquisition of the B2B business of Grupo Uriach.
- Advised GED on the sale of Cytognos, a Spanish company specialised in flow cytometry solutions for blood cancer diagnosis.
Gómez-Acebo & Pombo
The life sciences practice at Gómez-Acebo & Pombo stands out for its ‘proven experience and extensive knowledge of the sector‘, focused on R&D and innovation in the field. Led by renowned practitioner Irene Fernández Puyol, noted by clients for having ‘great intelligence when it comes to proposing solutions‘, the team advises a wide range of multinational biotechnology, pharmaceutical, botany and medical device companies. On the IP and unfair competition front, Jesús Muñoz-Delgado is a standout, while Barcelona-based partner Rick Silberstein exhibits ‘exceptional talent‘ when acting on corporate matters. Also in Barcelona, Alex Carbonell is a key contact for M&A transactions. In September 2021, former department co-head Eduardo Castillo left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘The life sciences team at Gomez Acebo are made up of professionals with proven experience and extensive knowledge of the sector and the applicable regulations.’
‘They have always shown a great overview as well as an understanding of the business areas that helps them properly focus the solutions to be proposed.’
‘High level of professional solvency and knowledge, transversality and overall vision, understanding of the client’s needs.’
‘The support of Richard Silberstein in corporate management tasks and in advising on complex commercial matters has stood out for his high level of knowledge, together with an exceptional talent for understanding and understanding the needs of the company, which is of enormous value.’
‘Irene Fernández Puyol in the area of regulatory and administrative law has an enormous capacity for work and her great intelligence when it comes to proposing solutions with high added value.’
DKV Seguros y Reaseguros
- Advised Moderna Pharmaceuticals on its establishment in Spain and on various issues related to the authorisations for the approval of the Covid-19 vaccine at the European level.
- Advised Altan Pharma and Altan Pharamaceuticals on the sale of its business in Spain through a bidding process.
- Advised Atrys Health on its entry into the Continuous Market.
Hogan Lovells International LLP
Hogan Lovells International LLP‘s life sciences and healthcare focus is evident when it comes to patent and trade mark litigation, representing companies in the pharmaceutical, medical devices, biotech and consumer healthcare sectors in a range of proceedings. Leadership of the practice is divided between Gonzalo Ardila, an experienced litigator and arbitrator, Ana Castedo, an expert in all contentious aspects of patents, trade marks, copyrights and unfair competition, and Alex Dolmans, an M&A specialist. Senior associate Margarita Morales is another key contact for relevant proceedings. Changes to the team include the departure of Santiago Garrido, who left the firm in December 2021.
‘They adapt to internally imposed deadlines. They are organised and take responsibility for the issues. They file and save all relevant documentation.’
‘They are very involved in the issues to be discussed and defended, they go beyond what is strictly necessary for the profession.’
- Defending DePuy in relation to mass judicial and out-of-court claims for civil liability following the voluntary recall of metal on metal hip prostheses.
- Advising Moderna on compliance, promotional and regulatory issues, including drafting of agreements governing interactions with healthcare professionals.
- Collaborating on the procedural strategy of the Human Papillomavirus Vaccine (HPV) in different proceedings in Colombia after having won all the proceedings initiated in Spain.
As part of the firm’s public law offering, the life sciences group at Pérez-Llorca exhibits strength in patent litigation and IP matters, with supplementary expertise in regulatory, M&A and competition law issues. Leading the team are IP expert Eduardo Castillo, who joined the firm in September 2021, and Juan Manuel Rodríguez Cárcamo, a key contact for public law issues. Rais Amills, an arrival in January 2022, reinforces the team’s capabilities with regard to IP matters, while the addition of counsel Álvaro de Castro in September 2021 contributed towards the practice’s IP and unfair competition efforts.
Other key lawyers:
Spanish General Board of Official Pharmaceutical Colleges
Advanced Accelerator Application
- Represented MGI in ongoing patent litigation against Illumina.
- Advised AgomAb Therapeutics on the purchase of 100% of the share capital of Origo Biopharma.
- Represented the Spanish General Board of Official Pharmaceutical Colleges in relation to the preliminary ruling procedure before the EU Court of Justice in relation to the national system for the verification of medicines in Spain.
Andersen Tax & Legal
Andersen Tax & Legal‘s pharmaceutical and life sciences team offers multidisciplinary advice covering IP, regulatory and compliance matters, in addition to litigation. Led by José Ignacio Olleros, a corporate, commercial and compliance specialist, the firm’s client portfolio features a range of high-profile companies in the pharmaceutical, vaccine, cosmetic, healthcare and medical devices sectors.
‘They are always professional, polite and committed, in addition to forming a good team and aligning themselves when it comes to sharing the load, approaching each issue from the appropriate perspective.’
‘The treatment is personal and not simply as one more client.’
Insud Pharma Group
Aristo Pharma Iberia
Nimgenetics Genómica y Medicina
Colegio Oficial de Médicos de Madrid
Colegio de Farmacéuticos de Valencia
- Advised Kaelis World on a claim filed against INGESA regarding the breach of the agreement awared by the government on the supply of masks and other PPE during the pandemic.
- Advised Farmaindustria on compliance and data protection matters.
- Advised Insud Pharma in relation to data protection and privacy issues, as well as digital projects.
The health and life sciences group at DLA Piper benefits from an ‘effective multidisciplinary approach’, able to provide M&A, financing, tax, litigation, regulatory and competition advice. Co-led by commercial and regulatory expert Paula González De Castejón and biotechnology and medical law specialist Diego Ramos in Madrid, the team counts international pharmaceutical and medical devices companies among its key clients.
‘Sophisticated innovative solutions from a technical point of view adapted to the evolution of regulations and customised to the particularities of the business, industry and regulations.’
‘They are one of the few teams on the market that provide solutions and work that go beyond the proposals and the generally established standards.’
Genesis Cancer Care
Caisse de Dépôt et Placement du Québec
TFS Trial Form Support
GED Iberian Private Equity
- Advising Pfizer on regulatory privacy and commercial matters.
- Advised Syneos in connection with regulatory implications of certain types of activities to be carried out within the scope of clinical trials.
- Advised Genesis Cancer Care on clinical trial matters involving regulatory and privacy advice.
DWF-RCD‘s healthcare and life sciences department is closely linked to the firm’s innovation and entrepreneurship group, resulting in a diverse client base which includes universities, hospitals, start-ups, public research centres and private companies. Leading the practice from Barcelona, co-managing partner Ignasi Costas, a seasoned practitioner in the field, is accompanied by Oscar Alegre, an expert in technology transfers and R&D centres. In Madrid, Judith Saladrigas bolsters the team’s capacity in advising start-ups, spin-offs and research centres. David Pintos is another notable figure from the associate ranks.
Other key lawyers:
‘What stands out is its specific knowledge of the type of transactions in the biotechnology sector, the ability to focus efforts on what is important, the flexibility to adapt to deadlines, and its skills in the negotiation process.’
‘Oscar Alegre shows leadership in the entire process with relevant skills in negotiation.’
‘David Pintos stands out for his proactivity throughout the process, for his flexibility in dealing with his clients, for the reliability of his work, and also for the high level of English essential in negotiations with foreign companies.’
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The pharma and healthcare practice at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP covers merger control, regulatory investigations, commercial contracts, licensing and dispute resolution for a variety of clients. Iria Calviño and Paulino Fajardo co-head the team’s efforts, active on the non-contentious and contentious fronts, respectively. In February 2022, former head Lourdes Fraguas left the firm to join Italfarmaco.
‘The team is suitably diversified to provide comprehensive support that is attentive to the needs of the matter at hand and of the client.’
Peninsula Capital Advisors
Asterion Industrial Partners SGEIC
Magnum Industrial Partners
- Advised Península Capital on the pharma aspects in relation to the acquisition of 20% of Galenicum Health.
- Advised Asterion on the potential acquisition of Spain’s leading provider of medical transport services.
- Advised Magnum Industrial Partners on the disposal of the Indiba Group, a world leader in the field of radiofrequency for the physiotherapy, aesthetic and veterinary market.
HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER
Boutique firm HOYNG ROKH MONEGIER places a particular focus on cross-border IP litigation, making it active in a variety of matters surrounding the enforcement and defence of patent rights in Europe. Managing partner Luis Fernández Novoa leads the team, advising across areas such as patents, trade marks, designs, copyrights and unfair competition issues. Álvaro Velázquez supports these efforts, with experience litigating before multiple forums.
Other key lawyers:
Ceva Santé Animale
Merck Sharp & Dohme
- Representing Syngenta in patent litigation relating to an insecticide-based trapping system for fruit fly control.
- Advising ESSITY in the enforcement of its IP rights on hygiene products and dispensing systems.
Ramón y Cajal Abogados
The healthcare and life sciences practice at Ramón y Cajal Abogados is spearheaded by public law expert Jose Ignacio Vega, accompanied by TMT specialist Norman Heckh. Key areas of work for the firm include matters surrounding the corporate, regulatory, commercial and data protection fields.
Personal Healthcare National Association
Spanish Generic Medicines National Association
- Representing and defending Farmaindustria in the contentious-administrative process concerning the tendering of a contract for the supply of medicines.
- Advising ANEFP in its relations with the Ministry of Health in order to achieve the finalisation of the price intervention for surgical markers and hydroalcoholic gels.
- Representing AENE in a contentious-administrative procedure before the Supreme Court to challenge regional regulations governing dietary provision in the National Health System.