Commercial litigation: Beds, Bucks, Herts, Middx in South East
The commercial litigation team at B P Collins LLP is best known for its expertise in the environment, waste management, technology and pharmaceutical sectors. The practice specialises in commercial contract disputes, regulatory work, director and shareholder litigation, defamation, intellectual property and professional negligence. Matthew Brandis is the practice head. Craig Williams, senior associate Simon Carroll and associate Rajiv Malhotra are also recommended.
‘Outstanding work ethic‘.
‘Very knowledgeable and approachable‘.
‘Craig Williams and Rajiv Malhotra are outstanding lawyers. Very hardworking, straightforward, kind and caring, great contacts within the industry, approachable, knowledgeable‘.
BIC UK Limited
Biffa Waste Services Limited
P B Donoghue Group
Kawasaki Motors UK
AMF Bowling Holdings Limited / The Original Bowling Company
TMD Technologies Limited
Canon Medical Systems Limited
- Assisting state-owned seaport with defamation action by UK investors in a ‘clean tech’ oil production plant following allegations that plant was in breach of Polish environmental law.
- Instructed by client to investigate and advise on trade debt recoveries from directors under guarantee following the liquidation of UK dealerships.
- Assisted client with civil and criminal action following the wrongful removal of wheels from vehicles owned by an international haulage business having believed they were contractually entitled to do so after an invoice dispute.
- Assisting client with defending a £1.6m claim based on allegations of fraud.
- Assisted client with High Court breach of confidence action involving competing claims over key proprietary technology.
Dentons’ commercial litigation practice stands out for its expertise in international work, particularly in the field of financial disputes and investigations. The team specialises also in professional negligence and breach of contract disputes, franchising, product liability, asset finance, fraud and construction. Clients are from the banking, insurance, construction, energy, automotive, sports, retail and leisure sectors. James Fairbairn and Tim Constable head the practice from the Milton Keynes and Watford offices respectively. Watford-based Clare Stothard and Steven Mills are specialists in investment and retail banking disputes.
James Fairbairn; Tim Constable
‘Tim Constable is brilliant‘.
Mayor and Burgesses of the London Borough of Haringey (Haringey Council)
National House-Building Council
Network Rail Infrastructure Limited
Cox Powertrain Limited
- Assisting Mr Davies with a dispute concerning the misappropriate use of company assets by former directors of a company in which he was the majority shareholder.
- Advising an Asian property development company on defending a breach of contract claim worth around US$1.12m.
- Provided a range of dispute resolution services to Group One Automotive (one of the largest retailers of new and used cars in the world) in the UK.
- Advising a large Middle East retailer on defending claims of over £10m debt incurred by former subsidiaries in Spain and the UAE.
- Assisting client with defence of a multi-party claim for specific performance of a property development agreement.
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)
IBB (Iliffes Booth Bennett)’s commercial litigation team offers strategic advice on commercial fraud matters in relation to both civil recovery and criminal legal processes. Expertise also includes product liability and supply chain disputes, franchising, commercial contracts, contested debt recovery and arbitration/mediation. Clients are from the automotive, manufacturing, distribution and leisure industries. The practice is co-headed by Paul Kite and John Clement. Sarah Jackson is another name to note.
Paul Kite; John Clement
Other key lawyers:
‘I have a lot of respect for Paul Kite‘.
National House Building Council (NHBC)
Woods Food Service Ltd
Clancy Docwra Plc
Optimise Water LLP
- Assisting client with proceedings commenced in the High Court by a corporate shareholder of the company and related to the allotment, transfer and registration of shares previously held on trust as well as a wider dispute between the shareholders.
- Assisting client with proceedings commenced by a former franchisee seeking damages for wrongful termination of contract.
- Acting for an individual director and shareholder in a football agency in a matter related to a fellow shareholder who put the company into administration without adequately notifying other shareholders.
- Acting for clients in proceedings commenced by Huntec Technologies SLU and Huntec Energy Solutions for breach of contract and/or a civil liability contribution related to the design and supply of materials for a solar energy plant in the UK.
- Assisting client with a dispute with Cloud M, the supplier of managed telephony and internet services.
SA Law LLP
SA Law LLP is well known for its commercial litigation work with football clubs. The team has also in-depth expertise in other disputes, which often have a multi-jurisdictional scope and include defamation, professional negligence, asset tracing, professional discipline, IP and real estate disputes. The practice is jointly headed by Robert Ryall and Tracy Lacey-Smith. Simon Walsh and Clare Mackay are also recommended.
Robert Ryall; Tracy Lacey-Smith
‘Simon Walsh is a talented litigator, absolutely committed to his clients’ interests‘.
‘Clare Mackay’s level of service has been excellent. she is very customer and solution focused. All queries receive quick attention and a fast response, and her communication is excellent‘.
Eltek AS and Eltek ASA and Eltek Power UK Ltd
The Watford Association Football Club
Gillingham Football Club
An International University with campuses in London, UAE and Europe
Housing management service
M & Co Ltd (MacKays Stores)
Ocado Operating Limited
The Buxton Group
- Assisting client with a High Court case related to the termination of contract by the client’s caterer.
- Assisting client with a libel claim concerning defamatory comments on Facebook of which the client was object.
- Acting for client as claimant in multiple IP claims.
- Acting for client in relation to a dispute with a UK Plc that has been licensed to develop and construct a new gas storage facility in Northern Ireland. .
- Assisted client with a claim against a joint venture partner.
Sherrards Solicitors LLP’s litigation practice has a far-reaching international scope and handles complex cross-border and multi-jurisdictional matters with a focus on Russia, Ukraine and the CIS, China, North America and French-speaking countries. In the UK, the practice is best known for its expertise in the recruitment sector. Major fraud, financial services-related investigations, franchising, retail and banking-related litigation, debt recovery and insolvency, white collar crime and asset finance litigation are other areas of strength. Paul Marmor heads the practice. Barney Laurence, who was made partner in March 2018, and CIS specialist Marta Grieve are other names to note.
‘They have an international outlook with particular experience with dealing with Russian clients and familiarity with cross border business‘.
‘An excellent no nonsense firm which really understands business and how to handle complex and testing fraud and litigation matters‘.
‘Sherrards has an excellent litigation team led by Paul Marmor‘.
‘They provide advisory and litigation services of a quality similar to the services of the Tier 1 City and West End law firms, but at a fraction of the cost‘.
‘Paul Marmor is a star litigator. He is a master strategist and seeks to anticipate what the other side will do for the next move, and the move after that‘.
‘Paul Marmor is excellent in multi-jurisdictional litigation and appreciates how moves in one jurisdiction may impact on the proceedings and strategy in other jurisdictions‘.
‘Paul Marmor and Barney Laurence get on top of complex subject matters rapidly and diligently‘.
Aurora Leasing Limited
Cambria Automobiles Limited
Lauralu UK Limited
Menkind UK Limited
Winkworth Estates & Lettings
Ward Thomas Removals Limited
- Acting for a foreign construction group which has been defrauded in the UK in a very high-value fraud claim.
- Acted for a company supporting the firm’s US counterpart law firm in arbitration proceedings in the High Court in London, in an attempt to prevent further litigation in the US and to prevent the other side from suppressing or preventing full disclosure.
Debenhams Ottaway’s team has strong expertise in contentious insolvency, professional negligence and IP disputes. Cases from the technology and construction areas are on the rise. The practice is headed by insolvency expert Luke Harrison. Juliet Schalker is the name to note for professional negligence work, while senior associate Rosie Patterson is recommended for her experience in patent disputes, particularly in the pharmaceutical industry.
Pret a Manger
Fairgate Development Ltd
Griffins Insolvency Practitioners
Moore Stephens LLP
The Chartered Institute of Marketing
F&M Investments Ltd
Valentine & Co
Scheidt & Bachmann
Portas Agency Ltd
- Assisted client with the defence of a £1.7m claim for damages arising from alleged wrongful termination of a project manager’s contract on a North London development.
- Assisting client with the defence of a claim by an investment group relating to investments by two of its VCTs.
- Assisting one of the big 6 accountancy practices in an office holder claim against a cosmetics distributor for £1.22m arising out of transactions at an undervalue.
- Assisting client with two streams of litigation arising out of the administration of NJM Clothing.
- Acting for husband and wife migrants in a defamation and harassment claim against three National press groups following the publication of more than 25 untrue and inaccurate articles in the wake of the Brexit vote.
EMW Law LLP
EMW Law LLP’s dispute resolution practice covers a wide spectrum of contentious work, including property, landlord and tenant, contract, negligence, IP, warranty claims, shareholder disputes, contentious probate and insolvency and restructuring matters. The client portfolio includes prestigious names from the banking, sport, food, retail, construction, education and renewable energy sectors. The practice is headed by Damon Watt. Karen Young and Charles Clay are other key contacts.
National Accident Helpline
Roots’ Reggae Reggae Sauce Limited
Northamptonshire County Cricket Club
Northampton Rugby Football Club
Rangemaster Precision Arms Limited
Santander UK Plc
AIB Group (UK) Limited
- Acting as an independent solicitor in a £6m claim on behalf of solicitors in order to ensure that the defendants (individuals in High Court litigation) comply with the disclosure obligations placed upon them in accordance with a Deed of Settlement.
- Assisting client with a claim for breach of contract.
- Advised the client’s shareholders on a dispute with a director.
- Assisted client against a claim brought by a customer for an alleged failure to comply with a subject access request under section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Assisted client with a claim against their document management systems provider following a dispute relating to license payments.
Freeths LLP has a nationwide reputation for its experience in the drinks and leisure sectors. Logistics is another key area, with Luton airport as a longstanding client. The team is well versed in complex multi-party disputes, working side by side with the property litigation team in Milton Keynes and relying on the support of a large pool of litigators at the national level. Simon Hobbs heads the practice.
London Luton Airport
TNT / Fedex
ID Medical Ltd
Sealed Air Ltd
- Longstanding dispute surrounding the value and rights in a family business.
- Claim for breach of contract, defamation and harassment.
- 3 disputes over failure to pay invoices.
Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP
Geoffrey Leaver Solicitors LLP’s dispute resolution and litigation practice specialises in commercial property disputes, distribution and agency agreements, debt collection and director, shareholder and partnership disputes. Its work includes dealing with injunctions and freezing orders and work in areas such as insolvency, international trade and IT and e-commerce. Practice head Kenneth Stangoe, Trevor Coward, Guy Brooks and Richard Millard are the key contacts.
Jo Rolls of Opus LLP the Liquidator of Jeremy D Stone Consultants Ltd
- Assisting client and other creditors of the SEWL Ponzi fraud, which involved £78m, with a loss suffered of £23.6m.
Blaser Mills Law’s litigation department has specialist industry knowledge of consumables, including sterile products, disability aids, home care, catering equipment and agricultural feedstuff. Practice head Alka Kharbanda is well versed in contractual disputes, civil fraud, professional negligence and contentious probate, as well as in GDPR-related matters. Jackie Ray specialises in debt recovery. Commercial litigator Gary Braathen is also recommended.
‘Blaser Mills has excellent strength and depth across their team, with a very impressive client list‘.
‘Jackie Ray is an excellent client-focused lawyer who is a delight to work with‘.
‘Gary Braathen is an excellent lawyer and great tactician‘.
C F Services
First Collect International Ltd
Bunzl UK Ltd
Stannah Lift Services Ltd
GRS Roadstone Ltd
- Assisted the client with an adjudication issued in the name of an insolvent company against a defendant for failure to pay monies due under the terms of a construction contract.
- Assisted the client with the recovery of cost of fine wine that had been stored incorrectly and spoiled.
- Assisting client with cross-border claim they issued in relation to covering security service charges incurred in a gated community in South Carolina.
- The practice head obtained a freezing injunction to protect the client’s agreed fee.
- Assisted client with a dispute concerning stock supplied by the client to a petrol forecourt shop.
Machins Solicitors LLP’s commercial litigation practice is based in Luton and is headed by Neil O’Callaghan. The team members regularly work in the High Court, Court of Appeal, County Courts, First-tier Tribunal Property Chamber and Upper Tribunal. Areas of expertise include insolvency, property litigation and contentious probate. Senior assistant solicitor Janice Young is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong local practice, excellent value for money‘.
‘The team has great capability‘.
‘Neil O’Callaghan is very calm and sensible, and a very experienced litigator‘.
‘Janice Young is well qualified and very helpful‘.
Shoosmiths LLP’s commercial litigation team specialises in financial service recoveries and regulation, insolvency, enforcement of guarantees and mortgages, commercial disputes and shareholder/partnership disputes. The Milton Keynes office works in close connection with a pool of over 250 lawyers at the national level. Practice head Stuart Montgomery is an expert in commercial lending and recoveries work, with a focus on the enforcement of security documents.
The Open University
- Advised the client on proceedings against a British company in a dispute regarding surveillance equipment destined for the Iraqi National Intelligence Service.
- Acting for the HB Fuller group companies in UK, France, Germany, Italy and China in a claim against a UK manufacturer for breach of contract and negligence.
- Advising the client as supervisor of a company in CVA on a contingent claim by a creditor valued at £2 million.
Taylor Walton LLP offers a full range of dispute resolution services to clients, catering for both companies and private individuals and specialising in commercial litigation, property litigation and contentious probate. The practice is headed by James Carpenter, who is an expert in professional negligence claims, contract disputes, consumer claims, defamation, shareholder disputes and civil fraud. Tracey Harris is recommended for her expertise in employment litigation and contentious probate claims. Saljuq Haider is another name to note.
Tees Law’s litigation department has growing expertise in regulatory breaches, agricultural work and defamation. The team works in close connection with other departments to handle disputes related to takeovers and acquisitions and partnership and company contentious matters. Darren Perks heads the practice. Caroline Metcalf, Justin Robinson and Royston-based senior associate Polly Kerr are also recommended. The practice merged with Essex-based Wortley Byers LLP in January 2019.
‘I find Tees extremely approachable and the partners immediately responsive to the issue at hand‘.
‘What makes this firm unique is that it has the feel of a small family firm whilst being able to draw on the resources of a large firm. For them no job is too small or too large‘.
‘Tees has a real strength in dealing with highly contentious cases, where its non-nonsense approach tends to be reflected in the high quality of the results it provides to its clients‘.
‘Our experiences of all aspects have been excellent‘.
‘Darren Perks is extremely capable of dealing with difficult cases with a client friendly but also resolutely commercial attitude‘.
‘Caroline Metcalfe is a born fighter‘.
‘I will never regret getting Caroline Metcalf on my side‘.
‘Justin Robinson stands out because of his clear, common sense commercial judgement‘.
‘I have had the pleasure of dealing with Polly Kerr, an excellent experience‘.
‘We received a first class personal service from Sarah Stanyer. She always makes us feel like we matter and her advice to date on every matter she has dealt with has been first class and to the point.’
Fuller Smith & Turner
Turners of Soham
Bishop’s Stortford College
Strutt and Parker Farms
Stansted Airport Limited
NHS Property Services Limited
Newhall Projects Limited
- Acted for the claimants against the defendant, which had been engaged to advance a loss and expense claim arising out of works that had been carried out for the benefit of a third party.
- Assisted client with a dispute concerning the supply of alcoholic beverages for sale at a World Championship sporting event in the North of England.
- Assisted client with a contested claim against her landlord for an Agricultural Holdings Act Tenancy 1986 following the death of her husband.
- Assisted client with a matter related to damage caused by tree roots.
- Assisted client with a dispute involving the forced sale of licensed premises in the West Midlands.
The Harrow-based dispute resolution and litigation team at Harold Benjamin is particularly well versed in property litigation and deals with commercial litigation, insolvency, real estate, employment and estates disputes. The practice head is Jonathan Mahony, who focuses on hotel and construction work. Jeremy Lederman and senior associate Alim Shariff are other key litigators.
‘Strengths are response times, expert knowledge, direct and easy accessibility to qualified resources‘.
‘The lawyers have successfully married professionalism with being pragmatic and approachable‘.
‘Alim Shariff and Jon Mahony are extremely attentive. In real terms, no client question is too simple, or irrelevant for them‘.
Chill & Relax Ltd
Global Steel Holdings & Mr Pramod Lakshmi
USA Fashion (UK) Ltd
- Acting for the appellant in a Court of Appeal matter concerning the law of contract and torts of conspiracy.
- Assisted the client with opposing a claim concerning a commercial lease for damages in trespass to achieve forfeiture of lease.
- Assisting defendants with an application for summary judgment without trial.
- Assisted th client with a Queen’s Bench Division case concerning fraudulent receipts for payment of money.
- Assisted applicants with a boundary dispute involving two former Council properties.
The dispute resolution practice at Longmores Solicitors LLP has in-depth experience in commercial litigation, property litigation and contentious probate. The team is also well versed in injunctions and other emergency remedies. Recruitment and property management are key industry sectors. Practice head John Wiblin and senior solicitor John Wagstaffe are the names to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Reliable local firm, with very good subject knowledge‘.
‘Longmores are small enough to provide a partner-led service to clients, and large enough to maintain specialist expertise in a broad range of legal areas‘.
‘John Wiblin has not only expertise in law but also a commercially pragmatic approach‘.
‘John Wagstaffe is an superb lawyer. He is genuinely interested in his work, someone who takes time to think through his intended actions, intellectually very capable and a pleasure to discuss cases with‘.
‘John Wagstaffe is excellent. His subject knowledge is excellent, he gets to the point quickly and deals with our work succinctly. He has produced some excellent work and results for us‘.
Independent Clinical Services Group of companies including Accident & Emergency Agency Limited, Pulse Staffing Limited, Maxxima Limited, Pulse Healthcare Limited, General Medicine Group, Frontline Staffing Limited, Thornbury Nursing Services Limited, Health Personnel Solutions Limited, and others
James Taylor Group including James Taylor Construction Limited
Andusia Recovered Fuels Limited
Datum Shopfitting Co (London) Limited
Hertford Planning Services
MCP Property Services Limited
Paradise Wildlife Park
Online 50 Limited
Victory Place Management Company Limited
Integraspec ICF Limited
- Defending client against an unfair prejudice petition and a Part 7 declaratory relief claim regarding the shareholding of a family company and title to land.
- Assisting client with attempt to recover monies from bank after funds were fraudulently transferred out of the client’s account.
- Acting for a company and one shareholder in dispute with another shareholder seeking the return of his investment in the company.
- Assisting client with a council tax band dispute following the construction of several new housing blocks.
- Assisted client with a dispute regarding its policy on consent for lessees to keep pets in flats.
Nockolds Solicitors’ commercial and property litigation team handles complex High Court litigation, focusing on breach of contact claims, product liability claims, professional negligence, restrictive covenants, IP, insolvency and distribution agreement disputes. The client portfolio includes PLCs, SMEs and high-net-worth individuals. The practice is headed by Daniel Winter. Associates Sam Cook, Lucy Slatter and George Burton are also recommended.
‘A friendly, approachable and hard-working team, which always have a good relationship with their clients and counsel alike‘.
‘Good regional firm that punches above its weight in commercial litigation‘.
‘They have interesting work and are commercially minded in their approach to cases‘.
‘Sam Cook is smart and a good strategic thinker‘.
‘Lucy Slatter is really pleasant to work with and willing to go above and beyond for her clients‘.
‘George Burton is robust and astute in his advice and very good with clients‘.
Weston Homes Plc
Fairview New Homes Limited
- Representing a client in defending a claim for breach of an exclusive distribution Agreement valued at approximately £200,000.
- Acting for client in a dispute over the proceeds of a joint venture for the development of a block of flats and 12 houses.
- Assisting client with a claim and ombudsman complaint against a SIPP provider for losses arising from investments in illiquid products.
- Advising client on a petition to wind up a company on the basis that the company is unable to pay its debts as they fall due.
- Acted for client in a claim against a contractor for unpaid invoices pursuant to a construction contract.