Allen & Gledhill LLP's stellar practice benefits from an in-house technology consultant experienced in securing and implementing IT procurement and development projects, in addition to top-level specialists in the fields of technology, telecoms, media, and IP. Key areas of focus include acquisition and financing of technology companies and their intellectual property, cloud deployment and strategy, data protection compliance, and large-scale outsourcing projects, often with an international angle. Kok Leong Tham stands out for his reputation in commercial and contractual matters, advising on franchising, outsourcing, and technology transfer arrangements. Head of telecoms Tan Wee Meng; IP specialists Dr Stanley Lai, SC, Gloria Goh, and Eugene Ho, as well as Alexander Yap for fintech, complete the main team.
TMT: local firms in Singapore
- Advising the Government Technology Agency on Singapore’s National Digital Identity Project and SingPass, Singapore’s public digital services that allows users authenticate themselves and to access services easily and securely online.
- Advised StarHub on its entry into a strategic technology partnership with PCCW Solutions, to enable StarHub to optimise its information technology operations, lower costs and accelerate its technology transformation.
- Advising StarHub on the formation of a consortium with M1 Limited to submit a bid for 5G spectrum pursuant to the Info-communications Media Development Authority of Singapore’s Call for Proposal for the Provision of 5G Mobile Networks and Services in Singapore.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP is a highly regarded practice for local, regional, and international TMT mandates. Known for his expertise in cybersecurity and data protection, Rajesh Sreenivasan recently worked with the World Bank’s engagement with Guinea, Cote d’Ivoire, and Nigeria in the strengthening of their respective national digital identification systems. Steve Tan, 'a leading expert in data privacy', is frequently engaged by blue-chip clients to assist on data misuse issues, data storage, and data protection drafting. Lionel Tan advises on contentious issues involving internet fraud and breaches of confidential information. Benjamin Cheong and Tanya Tang are also highly sought after for their experience in a broad range of advisory and transactional mandates.
‘They have good expertise in a wide range of practices’
‘Benjamin Cheong. He is personable and can engage well with the business units.’
‘Steve Tan – exceptional PDPA experience, good insights as to how the PDPC works, heads up on forthcoming changes to the PDPA, easy to work with, professional yet friendly, reasonable rates, good referrals, and recommendations to his colleagues in other departments.’
‘Subject matter experts – particularly in the data privacy arena. Possess great commercial sense and able to provide practical advice. Always reliable and consistently delivers first-class work.’
‘Steve Tan – he is an icon in the data privacy arena. Has a great depth of knowledge as the subject matter expert and one of the sought after authorities in this field. very Is responsive and able to provide quick, practical advice.’
‘Steve Tan and his team are highly engaged and responsive. They are good with client and matter management in their role as lead counsel. They deliver good quality advice in a timely manner’.
‘Steve Tan is a leading expert in data privacy and has provided us valuable insights and recommendations managing the matters which he was engaged by Sephora. Steve is candid and firm in his advice, yet finds flexibility and takes time to understand his clients’ needs. He has a good level of engagement with the legal team as well as other business teams.’
ByteDance Pte Ltd and TikTok Pte Ltd
The World Bank / International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Huawei International Pte Ltd
Singapore Life Pte Ltd
National Institute of Education
Housing and Development Board
Ant Financial Services Group (formerly known as Alipay)
Development Bank of Singapore (DBS)
Ascendas-Singbridge Pte Ltd
ZhongAn Technologies International Group Limited
Liberty Wireless (Circles Life)
Sephora Asia Pte Ltd, Sephora Singapore Pte Ltd, Sephora Digital SEA Pte Ltd
Endurance International Group
Red Bull Media House Gmbh
NetLink Management Pte Ltd (in its capacity as trustee of NetLink Trust)
Engie SA (formerly GDF Suez SA)
Hangzhou Tigermed Consulting Co., Ltd
Beijing Tourism Group
ABS-CBN Global, Ltd
Institute for Human Resource Professionals
Logan Property (Singapore) Company Pte. Limited
Kulicke & Soffa Pte Ltd
Yanlord Commercial Property Investments Pte Ltd
- Advised ByteDance and its subsidiaries in their expansion into South East Asia (SEA). ByteDance is recognised as “the world’s most valuable startup”.
- Acted for social media giant Facebook on its S$1.4 billion first-in-Asia data centre in Singapore.
- Advising ZhongAn Technologies International Group, a Chinese Internet-based insurer in a ground-breaking insurtech deal, in which Grab has partnered with ZhongAn to establish a joint venture company in a move to enter Southeast Asia’s digital insurance distribution business.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow 'has the broadest range of competency of any legal firm', according to one client, and is a top global name for IT procurement, telecoms, data privacy, cloud computing, and TMT IP-related matters. Practice head Ken Chia advises across a broad range of mandates but best known for outsourcing, software licensing, and systems implementation projects. Lim Ren Jun is the key figure for data protection, cybersecurity, and regulation in the consumer, media, and health sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice has the broadest range of competency of any legal firm. You have a point of contact who is associated with you and they will understand your issue and coordinate in any area of the practice locally and internationally. Many other firms struggle with complexity and capacity in the same respect.’
‘The individuals are highly competent, yet they are human and grounded in good values. There is no area that you can engage them on that they are not across.’
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP continues to expand its Singapore capability with the hire of Jeremy Tan, former head of CMS Holborn Asia' commercial and TMT practice, and senior consultant Gigi Cheah from Norton Rose Fulbright, strengthening its cross border expertise and network in the technology sector. Renowned for its strong global transactional and contentious adeptness, the firm is particularly sought after for assistance on data protection, regulatory and compliance, IT infrastructure project and in handling of IT disputes. Daniel Song is involved in multi-jurisdictional procurement and regulated outsourcing matters.
‘They have lawyers that have local hands-on experience with regulators and this is really useful for the in-house lawyers.’
‘Jeremy Tan from Singapore has always been our go-to person whenever we need a hands-on, responsive, and business-minded lawyer to deal with unprecedented and complicated issues surrounding data, technology, business model, and cross-border regulations. His advice has always been sound, succinct, highly pragmatic, and most importantly, focused on our business needs. It has been a great pleasure working with Jeremy, who is completely reliable and I would highly recommend him to the in-house community.’
Circles Life (Liberty Wireless)
- Assisting a global card scheme operator on its South East Asia regional privacy evaluation and compliance project.
- Advised a market leading global partner and customer loyalty management solutions provider in relation to its end-to-end partner and customer loyalty management cloud-based solution.
- Advising a global technology and data company on its data privacy compliance primarily in relation to cross-border flow of data in the region.
Particularly strong in the telecoms area, but also equally able to handle technology, media, and IP-related mandates, Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP has 'strong background knowledge, expertise, and experience' in the TMT industry. Gilbert Leong has a strong following from telecoms clients and is a go-to lawyer for commercial contracts, data protection, licenses, and related disputes. IP consultant Woon Chooi Yew and Catherine Lee make up the other key figures.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has strong background knowledge, expertise, and experience on the legal work they supported us. The team supports us in IT and related matters.’
‘Gilbert Leong, Dentons supports our IT legal matters. He has the background of most of the contracts due to his many years supporting our industry, which is a bonus as he is able to provide insights into the contracts. As such, his advice is based on a holistic view of the industry. Gilbert is not only the pioneer of our contract templates, he also has the legal expertise and technical knowledge to provide valuable advice.’
Secur Security Group (“SSG”)
Ocean Protocol Foundation
- Acting as Singapore legal advisors and coordinating legal counsel to Ocean Protocol Foundation, in respect of a global token distribution launch of cryptographic tokens known as Ocean tokens.
- Advising a Chinese-based client on legal and commercial landscape in Brunei relation to media, streaming media and intellectual property; in relation to programmes offered via streaming.
- Represented Secur Security Group, a vendor of the Health Sciences Authority, in criminal proceedings and crisis management following a highly publicised cyberattack.
Lim Chong Kin leads the comprehensive TMT offering at Drew & Napier LLC which is regularly engaged to draft various technology contracts, and assists in outsourcing, software integration, and software licensing. The practice retains a strong media and telecoms regulatory advisory capability, alongside complementary offering in data protection and transactional support. New partner hire David Alfred joined from Personal Data Protection Commission in February 2020, and has over 20 years’ experience in data protection, cybersecurity, and regulatory enforcement.
Other key lawyers:
Info-communications Media Development Authority
Personal Data Protection Commission
Take-Two Interactive Software
- Obtaining Regulatory Approval to Provide Telecommunication Services in Data Centres as a Services-Based Operator
- Advice on Telecommunication Licensing Requirements and Obtaining Regulatory Approval for Provision of Enterprise-Grade Cloud Calling and Contact Centre Services
Pinsent Masons MPillay
The Singapore arm at Pinsent Masons MPillay operates as part of global TMT practice is increasingly active in cutting edge areas of technology and IT, such as fintech and cryptocurrency, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity. Bryan Tan maintains a busy practice advising on joint ventures and acquisitions, venture capital work, contracting agreements, e-commerce, and risk management concerns. Alexander Shepherd is the go-to specialist for commercial and regulatory work in the telecoms sector. Senior associate Nathanael Lim is praised for his work in 'nuanced and increasingly complicated transactions' across a broad spectrum of sectors.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team headed by Alexander Shepherd is very experienced in TMT deals not only in Singapore but also across APAC. The ability to deliver efficient legal solutions to complex deals and drawing from the team’s wealth of knowledge and experience are the key strengths. Alexander and his team were able to support our large TMT deal negotiations in Hong Kong while his team is based in Singapore to demonstrate the team’s commitment and agility.’
‘Alex Shepherd is a direct and efficient operator who will not dance around the issues and never afraid to speak what he thinks is right and makes sense for the client. Alex is able to draw from his wealth of knowledge and experience to help clients structure deals and develop negotiation strategies in a practical way. ‘
‘This is an extremely responsive team that I tell all my colleagues is the only one we can truly rely on if a matter in hand is sensitive, fast-moving, and combative, and we do get a few of these in our (venture investing) practice. Not only does the firm counsel on the right thing to do by law, but they also do truly understand our commercial interests, ability to carry costs, timeframes involved – and have done an exceptional job enabling us in all geographies we operate in, from Southeast Asia to Europe and US, through their excellent network of trusted affiliates and specialists.’
‘Bryan and Nate are of course always the super-stars – Bryan for heavy-hitting stuff, deep strategy, lining up reputable fellow lawyers in Singapore and beyond if multiple firms are needed to participate on alignment, and such; and Nate for nuanced and urgent work in increasingly complicated transactions.’
‘They are a team that I can trust to get the job done. They are responsive and service-oriented, and in tune with the latest tech trends.’
‘Nathanael Lim is easy to work with, and someone you can trust to get the job done every time.’
‘Very experienced and practical digital law team that is well versed in all aspects of copyright law.’
‘Bryan Tan has extensive experience in the industry with a clear articulation of legal concepts.’
‘An international firm with offices around the world, Pinsent Masons Singapore office boasts an impressive client list of leading global and regional tech/TMT companies. They have the experience and capabilities to provide strong legal and client services to both SMEs and multinational corporations.’
Sony Music Entertainment Asia
- Advised Wavecell, a privately held communications platform-as-a-service (CPaaS ) provider based in Singapore, in its sale to New York-listed 8×8 for around $125 million in cash and stock, marking the US firm’s entry into the South East Asian market.
- Advising a venture capital fund, as the lead arranger and minority shareholder, on the sale of Kaidee, Thailand’s largest online classified site.
WongPartnership LLP robust team is active on IT rollouts, licensing, regulatory and commercial mandates and is particularly visible in media, where it assists on the entire content creation cycle. The practice is spearheaded by Lam Chung Nian, who takes the lead in handling contentious and non-contentious issues such involving TMT aspects of IP transactions, cybersecurity and data protection, and contractual agreements in the telecoms sector. IP lawyer Kylie Peh is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Wong Partnership has strong capabilities in the digital space. They have provided extensive support to us – in the following areas: Singapore regulatory (payment services), gaming laws and related legal advice including in respect of Content and IPR.’
‘Chung Nian has provided us extensive and excellent support on Singapore and jurisdictional advice on gaming laws, IPR, and content-related matters. Chung Nian is very responsive, personable, and provides practical advice.’
‘Responsive, prompt, thorough We have found their advice to optimally balance business needs and legal risk. We find their pricing to be transparent and startup-friendly. Compared to other firms, we hesitate much less about the cost while approaching WongPartnership because we have come to trust them.’
‘Their ability to understand business needs and to shape and advise accordingly the appropriate contract structure to ensure every possible legal risk is mitigated without giving the impression to the counterparty the contract is aggressive.’
‘Whilst many top law firms are competent in advising on legal and regulatory expects, what makes this practice unique is its depth of understanding of the technology and media industry as well as its a keen understanding of relevant technologies, which is crucial in a practice’s ability to provide advice that is accurate, concise and to the point.’
‘Head of the department, Lam Chung Nian, is one of the few lawyers in Singapore that has developed significant expertise in the tech and media space. He is able to provide reasoned and trustworthy advice on the most complex and novel issues, which often crop up in these areas of law.’
adidas Singapore Pte Ltd
ChuanQi IP Co., Ltd
Daimler South East Asia Pte Ltd
- Advising Government Technology Agency on the development of Punggol Digital District as part of Singapore’s Smart Nation initiative
- Advising OCBC, a multinational banking and financial services corporation headquartered in Singapore, on the implementation of SGQR, the world’s first common QR code specifications for e-payments that facilitates the creation of a single multi-tenanted QR for each merchant
- AdvisingTemasek Holdings (Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund)and Ensign Infosecurity(a joint venture between Temasek Holdings and StarHub Ltd), on various technology licensing and distribution agreements between Ensign and its technology partners, whichinclude IronNet Cybersecurity and D’Crypt, in the establishment of its marquee client offering, the Cyber Analytics Centre for Excellence
Managing partner Krishna Ramachandra is the lead partner at Duane Morris & Selvam LLP which is noted for its depth in fintech and blockchain technology. The firm also assists in telecoms acquisitions, media regulations, licensing, data protection, and regulatory issues, as well as related corporate transactions involving elements of TMT.
Globe Telecom, Inc.
PT iForte Solusi Infotek
Red Dot Power
- Advised PT Profesional Telekomunikasi Indonesia’s (Protelindo) proposed $164 million acquisition of more than 1700 telecommunication towers from PT XL Axiata Tbk.
- Supporting Dentsu Inc. on its licensing of the media rights for the 2020 Olympic Games, 2022 Winter Olympics and 2024 Olympic Games for 22 countries in Asia with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and in drafting and negotiating sublicense agreements for those media rights with local broadcasters.
- Advised Red Dot Power in establishing a business platform in the digitization and democratization of energy services which will involve parties such as Power Ledger (a blockchain enabled software platform for trading renewable energy) and the Ministry of Trade and Industry in Singapore.
Launched in 2019 by Bryan Ghows, former managing partner at Taylor Vinters Via, Ghows LLC is a boutique practice specialising in transactional and dispute work in IP and TMT sectors. Ghows has over thirty-five years' experience in the industry and is a recognised figure for commercial and contractual TMT work, particularly in licensing and technology regulations. He is joined by associates Venessa Phoa and Jasmine Toh (who followed him from his previous practice) who are skilled in data protection and cybersecurity.
‘The firm’s strength is the readiness and delivery in resolving legal issues and help bottom out issues in a commercial approach. Ghows LLC is diligent in pursuing a solution to every problem and look for a resolution upfront that is in the client’s best interests, avoiding unnecessary setbacks, delay, and postponements.’
‘Jasmine Toh and Bryan Ghows were the main lawyers advising the directors of our org. Their key strengths include responding quickly to emails, keeping files up-to-date, ensuring that interested parties know what is going on, and work with clients to successfully reach a favorable result. Both attorneys are knowledgeable and experienced in the substantive areas of law, as well as the procedural aspects in defending and handling every aspect of the most complex legal issues.’
i-Admin Pte Ltd
Epayslip Pte Ltd
Axiom Hub Pte Ltd
Axiom IT Solutions Pte Ltd
Hong Bao Media (Holdings) Pte Ltd
WorldRoamer Pte Ltd
Ambi Labs Limited
Spark Systems Limited
SMACK Holdings Ltd
CatchPlay Inc.; AsiaPlay Pte Ltd
Cycling Without Age Singapore Ltd
- Advising and providing legal support to industry-leading Singapore-based payroll and human resources services companies Datail Group and Epayslip Pte Ltd on the development and release of new cloud-based payroll software, including on data protection and privacy issues.
- Advising Singapore-based SaaS company and an award-winning Microsoft Partner, Axiom Hub Pte Ltd (and related entity Axiom IT Solutions Pte Ltd) on their distribution and reseller agreements, and the licensing of their IPR and software in this region.
- Advising and acting for acclaimed Hong Kong-based climate and clean energy technology company Ambi Labs Ltd and Singapore entity Ambi Labs SG Pte Ltd in negotiations concerning distribution, partnership and development agreements with a large Singapore electricity company and its subsidiary.
OC Queen Street
As an integrated member of Osborne Clarke’s international legal practice, OC Queen Street offers full-service support in TMT related corporate and commercial mandates, regulations, and dispute resolution. The department is guided by 'visionary' Chia-Ling Koh, who is 'a local authority in digital and fintech work'. He is active alongside a network of offices to coordinate cross-border projects and transactions, particularly those involving Singapore law aspects in fintech, artificial intelligence, and e-commerce.
‘OC QueenStreet led by a veteran multi-disciplined lawyer, Mr. Koh Chia Ling, is well known for its strong FinTech practice. The practice is known to be nimble, agile, and has a knack for understanding complex financial regulations, guidelines, and MAS policy positions and the interplay between technology and finance, i.e, Fintech.’
‘Chai Ling is not your typical “run-of-the-mill” lawyer. He has a master’s in technology and continues his relentless pursuit of knowledge in that field, which few lawyers can lay claim to.’
‘Chia Ling enjoys the trust of his very well-connected professional network of friends and industry associates across APAC’s financial and technology sectors, including regulators. He is closely in touch with market developments. It is always a joy to engage Chia Ling in conversation.’
‘Koh Chia Ling – I would describe him as a technologist who knows the law’
‘This firm is unique as it is designed to cover all needs of clients in the digital and fintech industry. It is a full-service firm for the industry and more.’
‘Managing Partner, Koh Chia Ling, is a visionary who has mastered his craft by establishing this firm, he has very clear objectives and is a local authority in digital and fintech work for clients. His firm has grown very steadily since establishment.’
Oversea-Chinese Banking Corporation, Limited
TPG Telecom Pte Ltd
Lazada South East Asia Pte Ltd
Tripadvisor Singapore Private Limited
GrabTaxi Holdings Pte Ltd
SingNet Pte Ltd and Singtel Mobile Singapore Pte Ltd
Xero (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Covidien Private Limited (“Medtronic”)
- Advised OCBC on commercial work, banking secrecy work, personal data work, financial services regulatory work, and telecommunications work.
- Advised TPG on financial services regulatory work.
- Advised Lazada on commercial work.
Winnie Chang is the main contact at OrionW LLC, which demonstrates depth across TMT, fintech, and data protection, with a focus on matters involving, cybersecurity, blockchain, content, and IP licensing, software, and IT outsourcing.
‘The firm provided advisory services relating to corporate contractual agreements and Technology, media and telecommunications. The ability and professionalism to handle different legal issues/queries and good representation at a fair service fee.’
RHTLaw Asia LLP
In January 2020 RHTLaw Asia LLP entered into a formal alliance with Taylor Wessing, thereby integrating Singapore and international capabilities as part of a wider network to offer expertise across a broad range of commercial and regulatory matters in the media and technology sectors. Core areas of depth are technology infrastructure, particularly in the operation of data centres, cloud services, cybersecurity, data protection, and telecoms. Erwan Barre is the main partner. Jonathan Kok left for Withers KhattarWong LLP.
LVM Holdings Pte Ltd
Jaguar Land Rover Singapore Pte Ltd
Infocus Asia Pte Ltd
- Acted for existing investor, GeoPost who, together with two sovereign wealth funds, led the latest Series D funding round for logistics provider Ninja Van.
- Advised on Singapore Law in relation to the data protection and the transfer of employees from Mellanox Technologies Singapore Pte. Ltd. to NVIDIA Singapore Development Pte Ltd. The entire dealcovers the global acquisition by NVIDIA of Mellanox.
- Advised Telenav, a leading provider of location-based platform services, on the Singapore aspects of the acquisition by Grab, a Singapore-based technology company offering ride hailing transport services, of the technology underlying the OpenTerra platform, with a licence back ofthe platform to Telenav for the continued development of the platform.
Shook Lin & Bok LLP's corporate and finance lawyers practice at the intersection of technology, regulation, and commerce, handling primarily TMT M&A transactions, licensing and distribution of media and technology assets, data protection, and regulatory compliance issues. David Chong, Ying Ming Ho, and Eric Chan are the main contacts.
- Assisted Cloud9 with launching internet-based telecommunications services in Singapore by providing regulatory advice and assisting with its application for an operator licence with the Infocomm Media Development Authority.
- Acted as Singapore Counsel for South Korea’s top food delivery app owner Woowa Brothers in relation to its acquisition of an 87% stake by German food delivery company Delivery Hero for $4 billion.
- Acted as Singapore counsel to Fujifilm in its acquisition of an additional 25% stake in Fuji Xerox from American Xerox Corporation for US$2.3 billion, making Fujifilm Xerox a wholly owned unit of Fujifilm.
Focusing on technology and data protection aspects within e-commerce, finance, and healthcare sectors, Taylor Vinters Via LLC handles the full range of commercial, contractual, and regulatory issues. Yingyu Wang's practice spans TMT-related transactions, fintech, blockchain, and other cryptocurrency-related work mandates.
‘The team is very helpful. To the point support provided.’
‘The team at Taylor Vinters works fast and is extremely responsive.’
‘The corporate team led by Yingyu Wang has extensive experience advising TMT clients. They are not only able to handle Singapore local law advice, but also cross border transactions involving various jurisdictions in Southeast or even East Asia. It has been a great pleasure working with a team which is responsive and client-centric. The Standard of the services is on par if not better than other larger international firms, particularly in the TMT legal market.’
Aeon Co Ltd
Plato Medical Pte Ltd
Turtletree Labs Pte Ltd
Acala Pte Ltd
Switcheo Exchange Pte Ltd
- Advised a FinTech company in a transaction with a major telco in Philippines.
- Advised and represented AEON in its collaboration with Ocado.
- Advised a FinTech client on the financial services laws and managed legal counsel in other jurisdictions in the region.