TMT: local firms in Singapore
The team at Allen & Gledhill LLP is 'one of the best in the market'. Tan Wee Meng's 'breadth of expertise in the technology sector and his valuable commercial advice'. The practice handles the full gamut of TMT-related transactions and fintech matters, including cloud deployment and strategy, regional and global data protection compliance and large-scale outsourcing projects. Meng is also experienced in OTT services, cybersecurity, e-wallets, e-payments, remittance and data analytics. Kok Leong Tham focuses on commercial agreements related to IT, data protection and data privacy, as well as advising on franchising and licensing, sports, online gaming, streaming services and media. Fintech and IP specialist Alexander Yap is also of note.
‘Tan Wee Meng is one of the best in Singapore. He knows the landscape well, has a wealth of expertise and provides valuable commercial advice.‘
- Advising a football association on the appointment of an exclusive marketing and media rights holder for the Suzuki Cup.
- Advising a leading e-commerce company on the launch of its media subscription service in Singapore.
- Assisted a technology start-up with the launch of an online platform for specialist medical expertise.
Rajah & Tann Singapore LLP is the 'go to' practice for major corporate clients across various industries, including healthcare, e-commerce and insurance, as well as for regulators. Core areas of activity include big-ticket technology M&A transactions, telecoms infrastructure and regulatory issues, fintech, data protection and cybersecurity. Rajesh Sreenivasan heads the practice, which also includes Steve Tan, who is highlighted for his 'great depth of knowledge in Personal Data Protection Act matters', Tanya Tang and Benjamin Cheong.
‘The go-to firm for PDPA matters. ‘
‘Steve Tan has great depth of knowledge for PDPA matters. Strategic, sound in advice and very responsive.’
‘Good value for money.‘
The World Bank / International Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Huawei International Pte Ltd
Singapore Life Pte Ltd
National Institute of Education
Housing and Development Board
- Assisted Pintec Group with negotiating and entering into a joint venture and technology licensing arrangement with UOB.
- Advising Huawei on the Singaporean telecom regulatory framework, as well as the licensing and regulatory requirements connected with its proposed service offering in Singapore.
Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow's team is best known for its expertise in IT procurement, outsourcing, fintech, blockchain, digital and social media, cloud computing and regulatory matters. Ken Chia's practice spans software licensing through to major systems implementation projects and outsourcing, acting for customers, vendors and regulators. Anne Petterd has strong experience in procurement projects for large-scale IT projects and data privacy issues.
Other key lawyers:
Bird & Bird ATMD LLP's integrated group of corporate and commercial, intellectual property and dispute resolution lawyers advise on a wide-range of technology transactions and related matters, involving artificial intelligence, cloud computing, cybersecurity. The group also has considerable expertise in medtech, fintech, and retail tech. IP partner Lorraine Tay and counsel Daniel Song are the key names.
Other key lawyers:
‘Daniel Song is extremely approachable, has an insightful approach to commercial practices, excellent industry knowledge, strong drafting skills and is very responsive.‘
‘Daniel Song is notable when compared to any of the other pre-eminent TMT legal practitioners and his drafting and legal advice is of an extremely high calibre and quality whilst also being commercially savvy. Daniel has the added advantage of having practised in Australia and this experience makes him stand out from the crowd as he has a broader and more international perspective on the legal issues that affect the TMT industry. Daniel Song is passionate about legal issues affecting the TMT industry and is dedicated, commercially savvy, approachable and quick to respond regardless of the nature of the query.’
- Advised a biomedical company on a $35m Series B equity financing round.
- Assisted a global conglomerate with drafting an agreement to create its first autonomously animated digital influencer, Yumi.
Core areas for Dentons Rodyk's TMT practice include handling procurement and services contracts, M&A transactions in the technology sector and data privacy matters. Gilbert Leong is experienced in commercial agreements, manufacturing arrangements, software development, licensing, as well as in the areas of cloud computing and e-commerce. Woon Chooi Yew specialises in personal data protection and privacy issues, while Kenneth Oh's primary practice is in corporate finance, M&A and early/ late stage private equity.
Gilbert Leong, Woon Chooi Yew,
Other key lawyers:
Ocean Protocol Foundation
Patsystems Pte Ltd
- Acting as Singapore counsel to Sentinel Protocol on its token sale of cryptographic tokens known as Uppsala Points.
- Acted for Integrated Health Information Systems, as the central IT service provider for public healthcare in Singapore, in a Committee of Inquiry convened to investigate the cyber-attack on Singapore Health Services (SingHealth).
Drew & Napier LLC advises a mix of global carriers and regional telecoms service providers, international broadcasters, start-ups and regulators across Asia. The practice is regularly instructed on various technology contracts relating to project management, outsourcing, software integration, bespoke hardware and software, software licensing and hardware/software maintenance. Lim Chong Kin and Shawn Ting are the key contacts.
Lim Chong Kin
Other key lawyers:
Info-communications Media Development Authority
Personal Data Protection Commission
- Assisted the Info-communications Media Development Authority with conducting a comprehensive review of the Telecom Competition Code and Media Market Conduct Code, and with drafting and implementing a harmonised competition code for the telecoms and media industries.
- Advised on the cybersecurity joint venture between IronNet Cybersecurity and Ensign InfoSecurity.
Pinsent Masons MPillay
Pinsent Masons MPillay's practice, led by Bryan Tan, is 'always ready to take on new challenges' and is 'a safe pair of hands' for a diverse range of IT transactional and advisory work. Tan regularly assists clients with venture capital work, contracting, e-commerce, fintech and cryptocurrency matters. The practice bolstered its capabilities in procurement and regulated outsourcings for financial institutions, investment funds and insurance companies by hiring Alexander Shepherd from Bird & Bird ATMD LLP in May 2019. Senior associate Nathanael Lim 'has a breadth of knowledge in the legal and technical' space.
‘Bryan Tan and Nathanael Lim are not only very professional and a pleasure to work with, but always ready to venture and take on new challenges; the entire team are a safe pair of hands in this sector.’
‘Bryan Tan and Nathanael Lim are very well versed with the blockchain landscape.’
‘Bryan Tan and Nathanael Lim have strong legal grounding in the blockchain industry. Both lawyers are business savvy and are able to advise clients on the commercial issues where necessary.’
‘Nathanael Lim has a breadth of knowledge encompassing not just the legal but also the technical arena.’
Sony Music Entertainment Asia
- Advising Sony Music Entertainment Asia on TV programme Asia’s Got Talent.
According to one client, WongPartnership LLP is 'well-placed to provide on-point and commercial advice in the areas of data privacy, protection and cybersecurity'. Other areas of activity include technology and media-related investments, securitisation, M&A transactions, regulatory and licensing issues. Lam Chung Nian's practice spans intellectual property, IT, telecoms and media, with niche expertise in the music industry. Kylie Peh is the other key contact.
Lam Chung Nian
Other key lawyers:
‘WongPartnership are very responsive and know the field perfectly. They are also obviously well-known with the regulator, which is always a very important point certainly in sensitive matters.’
‘Wong Partnership’s TMT team is well-placed to provide on-point and usable commercial advice in the area of data privacy and protection and cybersecurity. ‘
‘Lam Chung Nian is business oriented but very knowledgeable and experienced. He has a very good network and strong expertise.’
- Advised Singapore Airlines Limited on its collaboration with DBS Bank to offer KrisShop on the DBS Travel Marketplace.
- Assisted Workiva Singapore with establishing its Asia-Pacific office in Singapore, including advising on the review of technology agreements, data protection and other legal compliance issues.
- Advised Sport Singapore, a statutory board under the Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth of the Singapore government, on the ActiveSG digital wallet, an e-payment feature within the ActiveSG app, allowing for cashless transactions at ActiveSG facilities.
- Advised DBS Bank on its roll-out of PayNow capabilities for corporate entities, including the preparation of terms and conditions for customers’ use of the service to address authorisation and authentication processes to be implemented for the operation of corporate accounts.
- Advising Doctor Anywhere on its telemedicine app.
According to one client, Duane Morris & Selvam LLP is a 'top-notch legal firm with great depth of understanding of the underlying business of the clients'. Led by Krishna Ramachandra, who is 'among the leading experts in both blockchain and TMT', the practice has a strong focus on fintech and blockchain technology, while also handling acquisitions, media regulations, licensing and data protection.
‘Duane Morris & Selvam is a top-notch legal firm with great depth of understanding of the underlying business of the clients. Using this domain expertise coupled with a very analytical and judicious approach to provide the legal advice stands the firm head and shoulders above the other firms in Singapore.’
‘The team at Duane Morris & Selvam comprises of individuals with a clear vision to provide out-of-the-box advice and tailor-made client solutions. Krishna Ramachandra and his team are amazing in their ability to deeply grasp the issues and provide advice on the legal approach.’
‘Krishna Ramachandra is among the leading experts worldwide in both Blockchain and TMT. Additionally, he has successfully built Duane Morris Selvam’s franchise throughout ASEAN region with key local operations and partners in each key market, including newly open markets such as Myanmar and Cambodia.‘
Digital Alpha Group Pte Ltd
Circles Asia Pte Ltd
Nanolumi Pte Ltd
Happy Ribbon Limited
- Advised Singapore-based nanotechnology company, Nanolumi Pte Ltd, on its $1m seed round fund raising.
- Advising a major mobile telecoms services provider in the Philippines on the contemplated sale-and-leaseback of its telecoms towers.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based investment company, Happy Ribbon Limited, on its participation in a Series B round of fund raising for One Animation, a Singapore-based computer graphics animation studio.
- Advising an established technology company involved in the energy industry with its plans to implement blockchain and distributed ledger technology into retail and industrial electricity distribution networks.
OC Queen Street
With a strong focus on the digital business sector, OC Queen Street's multi-disciplinary team comprises of specialists in corporate, commercial and M&A, investment funds, data protection, technology and IT regulatory issues, with a particularly strong offering in fintech and cryptocurrency, where the team is 'at the top of its game', according to one client. Chia-Ling Koh is 'extremely knowledgeable in the business of new technology in particular fintech, AI, blockchain and cybersecurity', while Ralph Lim advises venture capital and private equity funds on initial public offerings, placements and other equity fund raising exercises.
Other key lawyers:
‘No other senior lawyer in Singapore is as knowledgeable as Chia-Ling Koh in the business of new technology in particular fintech, AI, blockchain and cyber security.’
‘They are the go-to lawyers with your new digital business models. In fintech, they are probably the only two-in-one lawyers in the industry who excel in both financial services and the business of technology. Osborne Clarke’s payment services department is renowned.‘
‘Chia-Ling Koh is the leader of the solid pack of digital business lawyers. You should involve him early in your projects. He can help you strategise and not many lawyers can value add in this way.’
‘Chia-Ling Koh is the leading light at OC Queen Street. It is no exaggeration to say that no other senior lawyer in Singapore is as knowledgeable as Chia-Ling Koh in the business of new technology in particular fintech, AI, blockchain and cybersecurity. He is regarded as an elder statesman and thought leader in the field with a local and international reputation.‘
Singapore Telecommunications Ltd
Lazada South East Asia Pte Ltd
NTUC First Campus Co-Operative Ltd
- Acted for Singtel in an application by the Premier League for nine key Internet service providers, including Singtel, to block access by fans to unauthorised websites.
- Advising Expedia on commercial contracts pertaining to its sales and promotion campaigns.
- Advised Infosys on a joint venture deal with Singapore sovereign wealth fund, Temasek Holdings.
Boutique practice OrionW LLC specialises in cross-border TMT, fintech regulatory compliance and transactional projects, as well as handling data protection, cybersecurity, blockchain, software, content and IP licensing matters. Managing director Winnie Chang is 'a very capable technology lawyer' and is noted for her ability to 'create customised and scalable solutions'.
‘Great boutique law firm specialising in technology. The firm is strong on contracting complex commercial technology arrangements. The soft skills of the firm is impressive including clear and responsive communication with clients.’
‘OrionW is very strong on technology law, including regulatory, commercial and M&A matters, and my “go to” firm in Singapore. Winnie Chang is a very able technology lawyer.’
‘Winnie Chang, is knowledgeable in her fields of law and able to create customised and scalable solutions for her clients.’
‘Winnie Chang is a very able and experienced technology lawyer. She is extremely knowledgeable of the law, but stands out in particular because of her practical approach to solving business problems that present legal issues.’
RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP
Jonathan Kok and Erwan Barre jointly lead the practice at RHTLaw Taylor Wessing LLP, focusing on commercial technology, telecoms regulatory issues concerning online services and payment gateways, data protection and cybersecurity, among other areas. The duo are also able to advise on intellectual protection strategies and commercial transactions, joint ventures, capital markets and financing projects. Corporate and capital market specialists Jeremiah Huang and Ng Yi Wayn were promoted to the partnership in January 2019.
Jonathan Kok, Erwan Barre
OHMK (Tianjin) Medical Technology Co Ltd (Juva Medical)
LVM Holdings Pte Ltd
Jaguar Land Rover Singapore Pte Ltd
Infocus Asia Pte Ltd
- Assisted Generix with the structuring and negotiation of a joint venture with a local software distribution company, as well as its majority investment in Sologlobe, a Canadian software company.
- Advised Jaguar Land Rover Singapore on the privacy, data protection and other regulatory issues for the launch of the Jaguar InControl suite of services and applications into Singapore.
- Acted for the shareholders of LVM Holdings, operators of Elite Havens, on the sale of the latter to Dusit Thani Public Company Limited.
- Advised DPDgroup-GeoPost, a shareholder of Ninja Van, on the investment received from Grab.
Focusing on technology-related M&A transactions, fundraising, venture capital, regulatory matters and personal data protection laws, Shook Lin & Bok LLP's practice is headed by corporate and corporate finance partner, David Chong. Ying Ming Ho, Dayne Ho and Eric Chan are the other key figures.
‘Fast response time and commercial thinking.’
‘Ho Ying Ming – advice which balances commercial considerations with legal perspectives.’
- Advised an e-commerce company on the acquisition of Bespokify, an online bespoke tailoring business in Singapore and Vietnam.
- Acted for a fintech company and its investor on its merger with a leading e-procurement platform in Singapore.
- Advised a financial institution on its participation in Grab’s Series H financing round investment of $1.46bn.
Yingyu Wang heads the practice at Taylor Vinters Via LLC, which has 'a very good technical understanding of new technologies and its legal nuances'. Ghows focuses on IP contentious matters and transactional TMT work, while Wang specialises in the fintech and blockchain space, with complementary expertise in cloud computing, AI and personal data laws. Bryan Ghows has left to launch his own firm, Ghows LLC, in 2019.
‘The team at Taylor Vinters are impressive with their technical understanding of new technologies and the legal nuances that come with it. ‘
‘Approachable and practical advice. Always swift to deal with queries and to move to a resolution without unnecessary complexity.’
‘Yingyu Wang has an impressive understanding of different technologies, from cloud-native, to RPA, to blockchain. Her vast knowledge has aided her well in understanding the full scope of the clients’ technological development plans.‘
- Advised client on telehealth regulations.
- Assisted Deepcloud with the private sale of its tokens and initial exchange offering.
- Advised Spiking Limited on the Singapore Robo Advisory guidelines, a joint venture between the two constituent entities of the client, and the licensing of certain IP and the contribution of technical knowledge in relation to the joint venture.
- Advising client on its new blockchain-enabled ecommerce platform.