Clients especially benefit from BDK Advokati AOD‘s membership of the South East Europe Legal Group (SEE Legal), an organisation comprising independent law firms from 12 SEE jurisdictions, which has developed a regional practice group for energy and renewables, utilities and natural resources. Heading up the practice, senior partner Dragoljub Cibulić is a greenfield real estate, energy and infrastructure projects expert. Also integral to the team is Milan Dakić, who is experienced in International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) contracts and construction arbitration. Finance specialist Dragoljub Sretenović was recently made counsel.
Firms in the Spotlight Projects and energy
Radoicic & Associates Joint Law Office
Radoičić & Associates Joint Law Office has been operating for many years with its headquarters in Belgrade. In the course of our business, we have achieved successful business cooperation with numerous companies. We successfully provide legal services in all fields of law. Our Law Office is particularly specialized in the fields of Projects and energy; …View Profile...
Projects and energy in Serbia
‘They are very precise and available.‘
‘The solutions and their views are clear and well explained.‘
‘It was a pleasure to have Dragoljub Cibulić on our project.‘
‘Dragoljub Cibulić is an outstanding lawyer.‘
China Road and Bridge Corporation
UK Export Finance
Government of Montenegro
Enlight Renewable Energy
The European Federation of Energy Traders
- Providing ongoing support to China Road and Bridge Corporation in relation to the period between the signing and closing of a transaction involving the development of an industrial and high-tech park.
- Advising Metito Utilities on the development of a wastewater treatment facility in northern Serbia.
- Advising JPMorgan and UKEF on a €430m UK Export Finance guaranteed loan to the Republic of Serbia for the construction of a 110-km motorway from Pojate to Preljina (the Morava Corridor).
A market-leading practice for major projects, energy and natural resources work, JPM Jankovic Popovic Mitic‘s group is regularly instructed on large project financings, substantial PPPs, concessions and direct foreign investments. A go-to adviser for work throughout Serbia and the SEE region, senior partner Jelena Gazivoda routinely assists with complex issues across the projects and energy spectrum. Nikola Đorđević‘s expertise covers substantial transactions and regulatory issues and Ivan Petrović has a wide-ranging practice that covers project development, financing and construction work. Marija Vukčević is the senior associate to note.
‘JPM is the best provider of legal services in the projects and energy sector. What they know, nobody else on the Serbian market knows. Apart from their expertise, they are a compact team of great individuals, who are always available, effective and collaborative, and work at the highest level.‘
‘The team has a great understanding of local law and practice, as well as the country’s energy and infrastructure sector.‘
‘The team is capable of translating its comprehensive knowledge into practical advice for clients, and always has a problem-solving attitude.‘
‘An abundance of experience in structuring and leading complex transactions.‘
‘The firm continuously invests in its training of younger lawyers as well as technology, allowing it to grow.‘
‘Jelena Gazivoda is a tour de force, always on top of things, and very hands on and knowledgeable.‘
‘Jelena Gazivoda is a person of utmost trust for literally anyone who has ever had the opportunity to collaborate with her.‘
‘Nikola Đorđević is an experienced, thorough and hardworking lawyer.‘
Underground Natural Gas Storage Banatski Dvor
Balkan Mining and Minerals
- Assisted Gastrans with the preparation of the Gastrans Network Code, which will detail the contractual obligations for users of the natural gas transmission system.
- Advised Balkan Mining and Minerals, a subsidiary of Australian mineral developer Jadar Resources, on its development of the Rekovac project.
- Advised JP Srbijagas, the Serbian state-owned natural gas provider, on its acquisition of the remaining 50% of shares in Progresgas-Trejding.
The energy and natural resources, infrastructure and transport team at ‘solutions-oriented‘ Karanovic & Partners is constantly involved in headline projects in the electricity, renewables, mining, and oil and gas sectors. The group’s expertise ranges from the construction of power plants, power purchase agreements and energy trading, to mining law and public procurement. Active in corporate and commercial, real estate and energy law matters, Miloš Vučković has notable specialisms in renewables and mining. The ‘always available‘ Petar Mitrović‘s experience includes energy project finance, and Katarina Tomić is the associate to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive, fast-working, tough and solutions oriented.‘
‘The law firm with the best energy expertise in Serbia, thanks to the knowledge of its lawyers and overall practice.‘
‘They are very dedicated to each client, and are able to understand the overall issues associated with project development.‘
‘Petar Mitrović is always available to listen and provide advice to clients.‘
Zijin Mining Group
Serbia Zijin Mining
Economic Consulting Associates
City of Belgrade
- Advised Elicio, an international Belgian renewable energy producer, on a senior secured loan with UniCredit Serbia to finance the construction, commissioning and operation of a wind power plant.
- Acting as regional adviser of choice for French renewable energy power producer Akuo on the acquisition of a wind power plant project in Serbia.
- Advised Rakita Explorations on project matters regarding the Cukaru Peki deposit in East Serbia (the Timok Magmatic Complex).
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr‘s sizeable energy practice advises on both international and domestic transactions, development projects, M&A and privatisations. Other areas of expertise range from PPPs, regulatory work and public procurement to competition law and disputes. Miloš Laković is a renewable energy project specialist; name partner Slaven Moravčević specialises in energy, real estate, and corporate and M&A matters in this field; and corporate and M&A leader Matija Vojnović‘s track record includes advising on major energy projects. Attorney at law Aleksandra Petrović also assists with significant energy and industrial projects.
‘The firm provides a continuously excellent service.‘
‘Demonstrated good quality, top expertise, full engagement, absolute reliability and flexibility – qualities that are important to clients.‘
‘I can rely on the firm’s lawyers, who offer the best solutions and are always responsive, no matter what time of the day an urgent request may come their way.‘
‘Comprehensive knowledge, perfect analysis, an analytical attitude, and the ability to offer innovative solutions.‘
‘This team has proven its expertise in energy projects, both regionally and worldwide.‘
‘Slaven Moravčević is an excellent professional, and obviously skilful and experienced. He has a deep knowledge of different sectors and regulated industries, and applies this to his day-to-day work. He is also very pleasant to work with.‘
‘Miloš Laković and Aleksandra Petrović are deeply devoted to their work and always available. They are also sharp thinkers, good listeners and even better advisers – they hit the nail on the head in most situations and provide excellent solutions.‘
‘Miloš Laković and Aleksandra Petrović are great for the quality of their work, accuracy and responsiveness.‘
Serbian Ministry of Mining and Energy
JP Elektroprivreda Srbije
Elektroprivreda Crne Gore
Shanghai Electric Power
City of Belgrade
New Power Generation International
University of Belgrade – Faculty of Transport and Traffic Engineering
Serbian Agency for Road Traffic Safety
- Advising the Serbian Ministry of Mining and Energy and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on setting up an incentive scheme for electricity produced from renewable sources in Serbia.
- Advising Rio Tinto on the development of the large Jadar mining project in Serbia, including the regulatory aspects.
- Advised Elektroprivreda Srbije on its acquisition of 51% of the share capital of HES Gornja Drina, a concession project company established for the construction and operation of a hydropower plant system.
Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz‘s Belgrade team consistently advises on the development of energy projects in Serbia. The team is especially appreciated for its expertise in energy matters. Admitted to practise in both Serbia and Austria, Radivoje Petrikić has longstanding experience in CEE-related project developments. Leading both the Belgrade infrastructure and projects practice and the real estate and construction team, Ivan Gazdić is also an energy law specialist. The second line of key advisers includes attorney at law Marija Marošan, who advises on real estate law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Flexible services and adaptable to client’s needs.‘
‘Good communication levels.‘
‘A really great team.‘
‘Radivoje Petrikić is exceptional.‘
Mercuria Energy Trading
Best in Parking – Holding
GFA Consulting Group
Delta Real Estate
- Advised UGT Renewables on the development and construction of solar power plants in Serbia.
- Advised Mercuria Energy Trading on the potential purchase of a portfolio of wind farms and photovoltaic projects.
- Advised TTS Group on the privatisation of Jugoslovensko rečno brodarstvo, a large shipping company.
BOPA Bojanovic & Partners‘ practice specialises in a range of industry sectors, including waste management, oil trade, and natural gas and electricity trade. The firm also fields specialists in power exchanges and transmission system and distribution system operations. Areas of expertise include regulatory work, energy-related M&A and competition issues, and certification related to the EU's Third Energy Package. The team is also sought out for its advice on environmental protection issues, the establishment of energy entities, and the construction of energy and waste management facilities. ‘Exceptional energy lawyer‘ Vladimir Bojanović heads the sizeable projects and energy department.
‘BOPA is famous for its work in the energy sector.‘
‘Their capabilities are unmatched in terms of the specialties of the lawyers, the size of the team and their dedication to their work.‘
‘A firm that truly delivers.‘
‘Very strong international expertise.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a great energy practitioner.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is an exceptional energy lawyer.‘
- Advised General Electric on the corporate restructuring of its group of companies, and potential licensing and other regulatory requirements.
- Advised Gazprom subsidiaries Yugorosgaz and Yugorosgaz Transport, which handle the distribution of natural gas in Serbia, on regulatory matters.
- Advised Gazprom on the large TurkStream pipeline project.
With extensive energy and projects experience, Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners‘ track record in large-scale developments includes major mining and gas pipeline projects, and the team also assists with day-to-day energy law-related issues and regulatory matters. With over 30 years’ experience in corporate law practice, Milan Joksović acts for large foreign companies on greenfield investment projects, and senior partner Petar Stojanović is consistently sought out for his experience in major mining and energy-related projects (both in Serbia and in Montenegro). Srdjan Tolpa and Goran Vučić also play key roles in the department.
‘The team is very professional, highly skilled and efficient.‘
‘For us, quick and professional responses in English (as well as in German) are of the highest importance – we are more than satisfied with Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners.‘
‘Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners was the perfect firm to support us during the whole process of establishing our new company in Serbia – and it is still a strong adviser for any legal question that we have.‘
‘Excellent, highly educated and experienced lawyers.‘
‘We appreciate their responsiveness, quick and efficient approach, and practical solutions.‘
‘We feel that we are in safe legal hands when advised by JSP.‘
‘Milan Joksović and Srdjan Tolpa’s professional attitude to their work went beyond our expectations.‘
‘Goran Vučić has high levels of expertise and good organisational skills – he advises the client in such a way as to find the best possible and most practical solution.‘
Kamen i Pesak
Infrastructure Development and Construction
- Advised Infrastructure Development and Construction on the energy law implications surrounding the construction of the Serbian section of the TurkStream gas pipeline project.
- Advised private investors on the purchase of the Gradina quarry in central Serbia.
- Advised Robert Bosch on a greenfield factory project.
Highly experienced in significant PPP projects and concessions, Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss‘ practice is able to leverage the firm’s widely respected banking and finance and regulatory experts. Qualified to practise law in both Austria and Serbia, Miroslav Stojanović‘s specialist areas include PPP projects, along with energy and infrastructure matters. In recent project development work, Nataša Lalović-Marić led the advice to Japanese company Toyo Tires on its greenfield investment in Serbia. In September 2021, Andjelka Todorović was promoted to partner, ‘which is testament to her abilities‘.
‘User friendly and responsive, with both good knowledge of the law and an ability to translate it into practical client-facing advice.‘
‘Anđelka Todorović is a real star. She has just been made up to partner at a young age, which is testament to her abilities. She is already the go-to lawyer in the Belgrade team for projects and public procurement work.‘
‘In addition to Anđelka Todorović’s deep command of her core areas of expertise, she is extremely hardworking, responsive, personable and a pleasure to work with.‘
Beo Čista Energija
Naftna industrija Srbije
Toyo Tire Corporation
Elpedison Power Generation
Erste Group Bank
UniCredit Bank Srbija
- Advising Suez Groupe SAS, I-Environment Investments and project company Beo Čista Energija on a €300m waste-to-energy project that involves a 25-year PPP contract.
- Advising Japan-based Toyo Tires on its high-value greenfield investment into Serbia, consisting of the construction and operation of a factory for the production of tyres.
- Advising Naftna industrija Srbije on various energy and renewable energy-related regulatory issues.
The energy team at Bojovic Draškovic Popovic & Partners is led by Uroš Popović, who is experienced in advising on mining, waste management, biofuels and smart grids, as well as hydro and wind power. The infrastructure practice is headed by Marija Bojović, ‘a true expert‘. At senior associate level, Milica Pešterić has over ten years’ experience in Serbian energy sector matters, while Mario Kijanović is ‘a very experienced, extremely reliable attorney‘.
‘We have only absolutely positive words for them.‘
‘Their team comprises very experienced individuals, who are extremely responsive, knowledgeable and capable of handling any task, regardless of the size or complexity.‘
‘What really sets them apart is their business-oriented and pragmatic approach to every project.‘
‘We highly recommend working with them.‘
‘Marija Bojović is a true expert, with lots of experience and a client-focused approach to every project. She always respects the deadlines, strives to find the best solution, and has excellent overall legal knowledge.‘
‘Mario Kijanović is a very experienced, extremely reliable attorney, who always ensures that the best course of action is taken.‘
Turkie Maarif School
- Advising CWPR Services in relation to the design of two wind farms in Serbia.
- Advising Kima Solar on the development of a large solar power plant.
- Advising South Korean company Elias Eco on a project in Serbia, which involves the erection of a plant for the destruction of industrial and medical waste.
The only English law firm in Serbia, Harrisons Solicitors also runs a London office. Recent highlights for the group ranged from advising on a major airport project to being instructed in relation to wind farm developments and significant energy and natural resources privatisations and foreign investments in Serbia. With over 30 years’ experience, consultant Goran Martinovic, whose expertise includes privatisation and public tender procedures, leads the firm’s major projects in both Serbia and Montenegro.
The International School of Belgrade
- Advising Al Dahra on both its investment in the modernisation of assets purchased from agricultural company PKB and the modernisation of agricultural production.
- Advising the EBRD and Erste Group on post-financing matters that relate to the Kovačica wind farm, one of the largest wind farms in Serbia.
- Assisting Al Rawafed with undertaking a significant investment in agriculture, which includes purchasing land and the development of irrigation systems (among other matters).
In addition to Mihaj, Ilic & Milanovic Law Firm‘s advice on energy production facility developments in Serbia, the practice assists with energy matters in Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania and Georgia. Clients also particularly laud the group’s strong dispute resolution credentials. Tanja Unguran‘s track record includes advising on some of the first private investments in Serbia’s energy sector, and Nemanja Ilic‘s energy projects practice covers renewable and alternative energy sources.
‘Highly experienced and solutions-oriented practice.‘
‘They take a very diligent approach to advising on sensitive legal issues.‘
‘They have lawyers with a number of specialisations and take a highly professional approach to providing legal advice.‘
‘In terms of legal service, they are always responsive and make great efforts to ensure they are available, either through written advice or on the phone.‘
‘Both the partners and associates are very competent and have good legal skills.‘
‘A boutique practice with a team of good, hardworking lawyers.‘
‘Nemanja Ilic has outstanding experience and a good business approach. I especially value that he always keeps the bigger picture in mind, thanks to which he gives us reliable legal advice and helps us avoid any risks. He also possesses exceptional sector knowledge.‘
‘Jelena Papic is very valuable to us and able to explain complicated matters in a straightforward way.‘
- Acted for a major energy sector client that is developing a wind power plant in Serbia.
- Advising an energy project client on the development of biomass thermal power plants in Serbia.
- Advising on the development of a combined thermal power plant.
MVJ marković vukotić jovković
MVJ marković vukotić jovković has substantial experience in major regional projects, assisting clients with all phases, from the development stages through to financing and exploitation. Typical mandates cover project structuring, due diligence, renewable energy matters, and greenfield and brownfield investments, along with mining matters, regulatory compliance, and power purchase, PPP and concession agreements. Co-heading the group are cross-border infrastructure projects specialist Dušan Đorđević and energy and infrastructure expert Uroš Marković.
‘The firm’s outstanding expertise, combined with its unreserved dedication and responsiveness, were essential for minimising the risks and enabling the success of the project.‘
‘The ad hoc involvement of the firm’s relevant experts for each of the various legal issues that emerged during the course of the project was impressive, and didn’t cause any changes in pace or the quality of the collaboration.‘
‘The expertise demonstrated at each stage of the project lifecycle, whether in relation to public procurement law issues, contract drafting or complex contractual issues, makes the firm a great partner for infrastructure and energy projects in Serbia.‘
‘The approach of MVJ is pragmatic and solutions oriented.‘
‘Dušan Djordjević is always to the point, with astute and in-depth legal skills that are combined with great industry knowledge. His expertise in FIDIC contracts can really make a difference to situations that look like a dead end.‘
‘Dušan Djordjević’s analytical approach does not leave any room for unpleasant surprises.‘
‘Uroš Marković’s communication skills, combined with his legal expertise, make him a great negotiator.‘
‘Uroš Marković continues to impress with his legal knowledge and organisational capabilities.‘
China State Construction and Engineering Company
New Europe Gaz
REMAG Metall Austria
Optim Project Management
South Banat Biogas Energy Hazelnut
New Energy Solutions
Umka Cardboard Mill
- Advising Siemens Energy on the Trans-Balkan Electricity Corridor project, involving the reconstruction of 15 high-voltage substations (among other matters).
- Advised Shandong Hi-Speed Group on the concession for the construction, operation and maintenance of a motorway.
- Advised several European energy trading companies on European Federation of Energy Traders agreements.
NKP Law office
Real estate, construction, and projects and infrastructure boutique NKP Law office was launched in 2019. In a short time, the firm has established an impressive client base of special purpose vehicles (SPVs), public sector organisations, consultants, main contractors, specialist subcontractors, energy companies and investors. ‘Solutions-oriented‘ practice head Jovan Nikcević specialises in FIDIC-based projects and disputes, and Vlado Kapor advises on a range of projects and energy-related matters.
‘This office covers everything that is required for complex infrastructure projects, including (but not limited to) contractual, administrative, commercial, financial and project management matters.‘
‘Comprises lawyers with experience that is based on international standards.‘
‘Unlike many other law firms, this firm does not find problems but avoids them. They are solution seekers, who have great patience, knowledge and experience.‘
‘It is a real pleasure working with NKP. Its staff is excellent, comprising lawyers with exceptional international experience.‘
‘The lawyers from NKP are able to support clients on a daily basis, and are responsive, professional and responsible.‘
‘Jovan Nikcević is one of the best lawyers I have ever worked with, not only because of his knowledge and experience in managing the legal aspects of complex projects, but also because of his social and business skills that were evident during the long-lasting negotiations.‘
‘Jovan Nikcević is a multitasking expert, who has great patience and is always solutions oriented.‘
‘Vlado Kapor is an expert in permitting issues, as well as energy project development-related administrative proceedings.‘
BEO Clean Energy
Suez Vinca Operator
Montavar Metalna Lola
Energetski Kompleks Kovin
- Advised Beo Čista Energija (an SPV comprising global utility company SUEZ, Japanese conglomerate Itochu and pan-European equity fund Marguerite Fund) on a €370m project for a new sustainable landfill and energy-from-waste facility to be constructed in Belgrade.
- Advised construction and engineering company M Enterijer Gradnja as the main contractor on the construction of a building at the Faculty of Organisational Sciences.
- Advised Montavar Metalna Lola, a specialist in piping and welding, on a contract for the prefabrication and installation of a delayed coker unit.
Advising on both transactional and regulatory work, Prica & Partners‘ client base comprises oil and gas, renewable and power companies, as well as project developers, investors and construction businesses. Heading up the practice are energy, infrastructure and project development expert Ana Čalić Turudija and energy and infrastructure specialist Danica Gligorijević. The associate to note is Jovana Obradović, who regularly advises on the acquisition, sale and development of energy and infrastructure assets.
Other key lawyers:
Ayen Energy Trading
- Advised Alpiq Services CZ on the expected implementation of a new carbon border adjustment mechanism for non-EU countries.
- Advised energy company MET Holding on obtaining and retaining the status of privileged power producer for its indirect subsidiary, Wind Park Plandište.
- Advising the local subsidiary of MET Holding on both supply agreements and regulatory issues.
Acting for multinationals, domestic entities and public sector organisations, Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW)‘s broad energy, natural resources and projects offering ranges from project development to procurement work, corporate transactions and project financing. Areas of particular expertise include renewables (covering hydroelectric, agricultural biomass and biogas-related matters), waste management, infrastructure projects and privatisation matters. International business law specialist Nenad Stankovic is routinely sought out for energy and infrastructure development projects in Serbia and Montenegro.
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies
- Advised Veolia on a precedent-setting PPP project with the Municipality of Vrbas for the management and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Acting as local counsel to Kornikom EOOD Bulgaria in investment arbitration proceedings against the Republic of Serbia, which concerned the purchase of 70% of the capital of the Kovin coal mine.
- Advised META Group for International Development Ireland (and the European Commission’s Directorate-General for European Neighbourhood and Enlargement Negotiations) on the Western Balkans Proof of Concept Scheme project, which aims to assist with taking promising inventions in the Western Balkans to market.