Projects and energy in Serbia
BDK Advokati AOD is consistently involved in Serbia's most notable projects. Dragoljub Cibulić is the energy and infrastructure practice head; his experience includes advising on the procurement, development and financing of large infrastructure projects. Milan Dakić is a construction contracts expert.
‘This is a most experienced and professional team that acts on very complex matters.‘
‘Dragoljub Cibulić is highly recommended thanks to his professionalism and expertise.‘
‘Milan Dakić is a brilliant lawyer.‘
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
International Finance Corporation
Deutsche Investitions- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft
Societe de Promotion et de Participation pour la Cooperation Economique
China Road and Bridge Corporation
Enlight Renewable Energy
Société Générale Bank Serbia
- Provides ongoing assistance to Rio Tinto with the development of a lithium and borate mining project in Serbia.
- Advised EBRD, IFC and OeEB on the financing of the Belgrade Vinča waste-to-energy facility.
- Advised the lenders (EBRD, IFC, Proparco and DEG) to French airport operator, Vinci. on the project financing for the privatisation of Belgrade Airport.
JPM Jankovic Popovic & Mitic fields experts in energy, renewable energy, gas, mining, PPPs, direct foreign investment and project finance. It is particularly noted for its experience in exemption proceedings under the EU Gas Directive. Mining and energy department head, Jelena Gazivoda, advises on all stages of mining projects. Nikola Đorđević is an energy law specialist.
‘JPM has for years been absolutely dominant on the legal energy market in Serbia. It has been involved in the most important energy projects realised in the natural gas sector. No firm on the Serbian legal market has such a team, expertise or understanding of the natural gas industry.‘
‘It has an excellent understanding of Serbia’s regulatory framework and practice, and it has very good communication lines with various regulators. The team is proactive and gets things done.‘
‘JPM provides a unique offering of high-quality and experienced local law advice across a broad spectrum of sectors. This is supplemented by JPM being better connected to governmental and regulatory authorities than most other firms in the market. The responsiveness is superb and fee earners across the board have a very high level of English, which makes for very efficient working and clear guidance.‘
‘Jelena Gazivoda is a person of ultimate trust. She is very smart, sharp, intelligent, dedicated, responsive, solutions oriented and the driving force of the JPM team.‘
‘Jelena Gazivoda is the best energy lawyer on the Serbian market. In addition to her high professionalism, knowledge and experience she is a person of character, a true leader and the one to whom clients can devote the most complex tasks.‘
‘Jelena Gazivoda inspires through her leadership and she has the same effect on her clients.‘
‘Nikola Đorđević is hardworking and very dedicated. He also knows the industry very well.‘
China Shandong International Economic & Technical Cooperation Group
Transportgas Srbija doo
Distribucijagas Srbija doo
Rakita Explorations doo
- Advised JP Srbijagas and Transportgas Srbija on ownership unbundling under the EU Gas Directive.
- Acted for China Shandong International Economic & Technical Cooperation Group, as concessionaire parent company and project sponsor, on the construction and operation of a section of motorway that will connect Banja Luka with Prijedor and Novi Grad.
- Acted for Gastrans doo in exemption proceedings before the Energy Agency of the Republic of Serbia and Energy Community Secretariat.
Karanovic & Partners regularly advises on landmark energy projects that require the multi-disciplinary team's corporate, real estate and banking and finance expertise. Miloš Vučković has worked on many of the largest energy projects in the region. Petar Mitrović has significant experience in cross-border energy project financings.
Zijin Mining Group Co
Economic Consulting Associates
- Advised Windvision Operations doo on the bank financing for a wind project.
- Acted for the IFC and the EBRD on the €215m financing of Čibuk 1, a large commercial wind project.
- Advised Zijin Mining Group Co, a Chinese mining and metals company, on the privatisation of RTB Bor, one of the largest copper mining and smelting complexes in Europe.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr Miloš Laković's multi-disciplinary group advises on energy transactions, development projects, M&A, privatisations, and PPPs. Other areas of strength include regulatory matters, public procurement, competition law and dispute resolution. Energy department head Miloš Laković has a strong track record in electricity generation projects; Slaven Moravčević is an energy specialist; and Matija Vojnovic's practice covers both M&A and projects. Senior associate Aleksandra Petrović assists with major energy and industrial projects.
‘The lawyers of Schoenherr in Belgrade are responsive, hardworking and efficient, and they provide clear and reliable advice on Serbian law. They are very experienced in large-scale construction projects procured through international contracts.‘
‘The lawyers’ level of English is high, they support clients during the drafting of contracts, and give ongoing legal advice during the execution stage of construction contracts in Serbia. Their experience in international arbitration proceedings is also especially valuable in avoiding disputes.‘
‘The overall experience, including everyday communications, fulfilment of agreed schedules, quality of advice and reliability represent good value for money and makes the firm a real partner in all business situations.‘
‘The firm has developed a full-range projects and energy practice over the years, not just in Serbia but also in the region, and it handles complex projects with great success. Apart from the main partner Miloš Laković, the practice comprises senior lawyers and is supported by other brilliant teams.‘
‘Miloš Laković has outstanding industry focus, which is very rare for Serbia. He has both legal and leadership skills.‘
‘Senior associate Aleksandra Petrović completes the team. She is a great individual and very professional, and can be relied on in all business situations with the confidence that clients’ business activities are covered legally.’
Siemens Wind Power
Montenegrin power utility – Elektroprivreda Crne Gore
Government of Montenegro
Shanghai Electric Power
City of Belgrade
New Power Generation International
- Advised AzVirt, a large road construction contractor in Azerbaijan, on the construction of a bridge section of a Belgrade bypass road.
- Acted for The Thumbay Group on the establishment of a Gulf Medical University and a Thumbay Hospital in Belgrade.
- Advised the City of Belgrade and EBRD on a PPP project that involves the construction of four underground parking garages.
Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz is highly rated for renewable and conventional energy projects, as well as energy efficiency matters. Radivoje Petrikić is experienced in development projects throughout the CEE region. Energy project specialist Ivan Gazdić was hired as Belgrade projects and infrastructure head from Bojović Drašković Popović & Partners. Former energy and infrastructure head, Đorđe Popović, became Telenor's chief corporate affairs officer.
Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport
Poseidon Group and Mitiska REIM
- Assisted Resalta with several PPP energy efficiency projects in Serbia.
- Advised Zijin Mining on the acquisition of a mine in Serbia.
- Advised the Belgrade Airport and the Serbian government on a concession project in Serbia.
‘The team has great projects and energy expertise. It is always available to advise and it understands clients’ needs. The practice is also extremely cost-effective.‘
‘This is a great team that is efficient, organised and highly versatile.‘
‘It is a firm with some of the most prestigious mandates in the energy sector.‘
‘The lawyers’ experience is unrivalled in the region and the practice is truly a role model firm for energy deals.’
‘This is a premium law firm for truly premium clients.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a person to call to get the deal done.’
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a great energy lawyer. His case management skills are remarkable.‘
Yugorosgaz Transport doo Niš
- Advised Russian energy conglomerate, Rhinestone Trading, on the establishment of a NewCo in Serbia and its entrance on the Serbian market.
- Assisted Gazprom’s subsidiaries, Yugorosgaz AD and Yugorosgaz Transport doo Niš, with regulatory issues.
- Advised Gazprom and its Serbian subsidiary, Gastrans, on the energy matters surrounding the construction of a gas pipeline.
Harrisons Solicitors' experience includes the privatisation of major energy and natural resources assets, as well as foreign investments in Serbian projects. Consultant Goran Martinovic is an expert in privatisations and public tender procedures.
International School of Belgrade
- Advised the International School of Belgrade on the construction of a new international school in Belgrade, which involved land acquisitions and project negotiations.
Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners is particularly noted for major mining-related projects. The team also assists with day-to-day energy law issues. Petar Stojanovic is an M&A, FDI and privatisation expert.
‘JSP is a local firm that is top-notch in its legal analysis, creativity and responsiveness.‘
‘The whole JSP team is very professional and reliable. It is a pleasure working with its lawyers.‘
JP Elektroprivreda Srbije
Kamen i Pesak doo
Infrastructure Development and Construction
Teknox Group Serbia
Green Tech Solutions
- Advised Kamen i Pesak doo on mining-related regulatory issues.
- Acted for Panasonic on a high-value electric power supply agreement.
- Advised Infrastructure Development and Construction on the energy law implications surrounding the construction of the Serbian section of the Turkish Stream gas pipeline project.
Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss' team includes several experienced energy and infrastructure specialists. Miroslav Stojanović regularly advises long-term client Naftna industrija Srbije, a joint venture company between Russian Gazprom Neft and the Republic of Serbia, on energy, renewable energy and commercial law-related regulatory issues.
Suez Environment SA
Naftna industrija Srbije
- Advised a diversified base metals mining company on the potential indirect acquisition of Nevsun entities in Serbia.
- Assisted Suez Group with a PPP project for treatment and disposal services for residual municipal solid waste in Belgrade.
- Advised a consortium, comprising major infrastructure companies, on a concession for the financing, development, maintenance and management of Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport.
RAJIĆ Law Office
RAJIĆ Law Office predominantly advises on oil and gas matters. It has also extended its services to renewables and environmental matters. Managing attorney Jovan Rajić regularly acts on large energy projects.
‘The team provides good advice and the lawyers are very well trained and expert in dispute resolution, corporate law and construction procedures.‘
‘The firm offers a fantastic balance between quality of service and the rates it charges. The lawyers are great professionals and capable of solving even the most problematic legal matters. They solve all problems with remarkable accuracy.‘
‘Due to its knowledge of the market and legislation, the team provides a great service and identifies the true needs of clients, greatly reducing uncertainties during the decision-making process.‘
‘This is a practice that continues to grow and that provides in-depth and thorough work.‘
‘Jovan Rajić provides profound and extensive advice on each occasion and is completely reliable.‘
‘Jovan Rajić is a young but very experienced lawyer, with a deep understanding of the market and relevant legal framework.‘
China Energy Engineering Group Co
Tianjin Electric Power Construction Company
Lukoil Srbija AD
- Advises Jugoinspekt on quality and quantity control and certification services in the oil and gas industry.
- Acted for Mondoluka Plus on the development of a waste treatment facility.
- Advised Union Šped on the development of a hazardous goods storage space.
Joint law office Marić in cooperation with Kinstellar frequently advises on major energy and infrastructure projects in Serbia and other parts of the former Yugoslavia. Qualified to practice in Serbia and New York, Branislav Marić is particularly experienced in advising international investors.
- Advised Ezpada Comodities AG on obtaining an electricity trading licence in Serbia.
- Acted for Exportno-Importná Banka Slovenskej Republiky on the financing for the construction of biogas plants.
- Advsied China Machinery Engineering Corporation on a potential major project involving the construction of a coal–fired power plant.
Poseidon Group & Mitiska REIM
Turkie Maarif School
- Advises Poseidon Group, a London-based real estate developer and its sponsor, Mitiska REIM (a Belgium real estate fund), on the development of a retail park in Serbia.
- Advised Elicio on a wind farm project.
- Assisted Elias Eco DOO Beograd with a project involving a new plant for the destruction of industrial and medical waste.
Mihaj, Ilic & Milanovic Law Firm advises on the development of energy production facilities in Serbia, as well as in Montenegro, Macedonia, Albania and Georgia. Tanja Unguran assists with renewable energy, oil and gas and mining projects, and Nemanja Ilic has a broad energy law practice.
‘The team’s strengths and key capabilities are good organisation and good communication. It is also a very respectful team, completing tasks on time.‘
‘The lawyers are always available, reply on time and very effective and supportive.‘
Ayen Energy Trading
Alpiq Energy SE
МVM Partner Zrt
- Advises Enel Trade, an Italian multinational manufacturer and distributor of electricity and gas, on legal matters related to its daily business operations.
- Advised CJR Renewables on the construction of a wind park.
- Assisted Switzerland-headquartered energy company, MET Holding, with the establishment of a joint venture with Gazprom Neft-owned NIS.
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW) advises on regulatory compliance, corporate transactions, commercial contracts and project financing in the energy and natural resources sector. Nenad Stankovic is noted for energy and infrastructure developments, and mining and minerals matters.
Innovation Fund of the Republic of Serbia
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development