Dispute resolution in Serbia
BDK Advokati AOD is particularly well known for its international arbitration expertise. The practice also distinguishes itself through its litigation of criminal law matters and regularly acts for claimants in defamation cases. Tijana Kojović is also able to leverage her transactional experience in her disputes practice. Senior associate Aleksandra Đurđević is a constitutional litigation specialist.
‘The outstanding strengths of this practice are following up, timely communication of issues, excellent division of tasks and great communication in English.‘
‘The team is versed in multiple fields. What makes the individuals stand out is their commitment to building strong relationships with clients.‘
‘The BDK team is extremely helpful in making clients understand the legal remedies that lay before them so as to choose the right path to end legal disputes.‘
‘This is a highly responsive and detail-oriented practice.‘
‘Tijana Kojović is an outstanding lawyer and expert in arbitration.‘
NDM Asset Resolution doo Beograd
Alliance One Tobacco
British American Tobacco
Fresenius Medical Care
- Acted for British American Tobacco (BAT) in a former distributor’s damages proceedings against four members of the BAT group for termination and non-renewal of distribution agreements.
- Acted for Turkish Airlines in misdemeanour proceedings, which related to the transport of passengers without valid travel documents or visas.
- Represented the US, as the injured party, in a criminal trial against individuals, who were accused of jeopardising lives and causing damage to property during the 2008 riots in front of the US’ Belgrade Embassy.
JPM Jankovic Popovic & Mitic consistently handles sensitive and complex cases involving commercial, competition, labour and corporate disputes, both in judicial proceedings and arbitrations. Djordje Novčić acts for companies from the financial services, insurance, IT, retail and professional services sectors. He also has extensive experience in insurance disputes. Jelena Milinovic focuses on disputes between companies, bankruptcy proceedings and damages claims.
‘This is a law firm that solves problems, rather than just servicing clients.‘
‘The lawyers are professional, co-operative, available, quick in reacting and client orientated. They also have the ability to present difficult issues in a clear and simple manner.‘
‘JPM is valued for its dedication to satisfying clients’ legal requirements. The firm cannot be recommended highly enough – it stands unrivalled in the region.‘
‘Djordje Novcic is efficient, competent and has a problem-solving attitude. He understands clients’ wishes and time frames and does everything to achieve that. He is also a professional who is easy to work with.‘
‘Djordje Novcic’s style is very client oriented and he is highly capable of interfacing with foreign corporate headquarters.‘
- Defended Victoria Group Serbia against a success fee claim under a consultancy service agreement.
- Acted for Xella Serbia in its negotiations with the Serbian state and electric power industry company for compensation damages.
- Acted for Helvetia Group, the insurer of a vessel involved in a collision on the Danube, in claims for insurance indemnity damages.
Karanovic & Partners' large, regional team's disputes specialisms include construction and M&A matters, maritime and road transport cases, and labour law claims. Milan Lazić acts in high-profile court cases as well as international arbitrations and Ivana Dišović is an employment and labour disputes expert. At senior associate level, Aleksandar Novaković focuses on civil and commercial litigation, debt recovery, insolvency and administrative disputes, and Milica Savić is an international arbitration specialist.
‘The firm has high-quality litigators.‘
‘The team is insightful, well prepared, practical and knowledgeable. It is also very responsive and client oriented.‘
‘Milan Lazić is a very diligent and knowledgeable lawyer.‘
‘Ivana Dišović is a great litigator, with very good technical expertise, drafting qualities and knowledge of court practice – no stone is left unturned.‘
University of Belgrade – Faculty of Law
MK Group Serbia
Henkel Central Eastern Europe GmbH
Société Générale Group
West Pharmaceutical Services
Addiko bank ad Belgrade
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Zijin Mining Group Co
Serbia Zijin Bor Copper doo
- Representing Henkel in a number of employment and commercial disputes in Serbia and Montenegro.
- Acted for MK Group doo Serbia (a sugar producer in Serbia), and its subsidiaries, in several high-value and complex M&A disputes.
- Represented the University of Belgrade’s Faculty of Law in various commercial and civil court cases.
Specialised in dispute resolution and founded in 2015, Mihaj, Ilic & Milanovic Law Firm acts in highly sensitive and high-profile disputes. Senka Mihaj is experienced in investment and commercial arbitration, commercial litigation and FIDIC-related disputes; and Nemanja Ilic acts in commercial disputes in both the domestic and regional courts. Marko Milanovic leads the firm’s debt collection practice. Jelena Papić, who was recently promoted to senior associate, is experienced in general commercial litigation and insolvency proceedings.
‘The key reason for co-operating with this law firm is its experience and excellence in disputes. There are not many firms specialising in disputes in this manner. Having such attorneys on the client’s side gives an advantage in litigation.’
‘MIM provides high-quality legal services. Clients very much appreciate the lawyers’ readiness to provide accurate responses to all legal questions and situations.‘
‘The communication is very professional and prompt, and the dispute resolution team is very impressive.‘
‘Clients are satisfied with how the MIM law team represents them at all stages of proceedings.‘
‘Senka Mihaj is very professional, easy to communicate with and has exceptional lawyer skills.‘
‘Marko Milanovic gives his best on behalf of clients, and is very patient and trustworthy.‘
‘Nemanja Ilic is one of the best litigators in Serbia. The level of his experience is great, which gives him the confidence to dominate trials and win cases.‘
Republic of Serbia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Novartis Pharma Services
Beppler & Jacobson
- Successfully represented the Republic of Serbia in a complex, high-value investment arbitration dispute against Zelena NV and Energo-Zelena doo under International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) rules.
- Acted for Belgrade Waterfront, which was established by a UAE private investment company that is developing an urban renewal project in Belgrade, in several high-value commercial disputes.
- Representing Air Serbia in over 50 court proceedings, which include high-value commercial litigation, damages compensation claims and labour law disputes.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr stands out for its handling of complex investment and commercial disputes, particularly multi-jurisdictional matters. Slaven Moravčević and Jelena Bezarević Pajić are both investor-state and commercial arbitration experts. Nataša Lalatović Đorđević is active in commercial and corporate litigation as well as investment and commercial arbitrations. Attorney at law Tanja Šumar specialises in handling defences for respondent states.
‘All of the lawyers are very experienced and professional; what especially makes them unique is their passion for work and dedication to the matters they work on.‘
‘Schoenherr’s arbitration team is the best, not only in Serbia and Montenegro, but also internationally. It is always one step ahead. The lawyers’ proficiency, experience, knowledge, devotion, great communication skills and, above all, readiness to be there for clients are features not often seen elsewhere.‘
‘This is a unique law office when it comes to the quality of analysis, preparation, and implementation of legal knowledge and instruments in any given dispute. The lawyers are never surprised by circumstances or opposing parties, and they always provide the highest standard of service.‘
‘Slaven Moravčević is a very well-known attorney in the region, who in recent years has devoted a lot of his time to arbitration. He has an amazing energy and makes matters move forward.‘
‘Slaven Moravčević is a perfect team manager. He prepares a strategy for each case that results only in victory. Everyone respects him and has full confidence in his opinion.‘
‘Jelena Bezarević Pajić is a highly experienced litigator with exceptional legal reasoning. She is hardworking and completely devoted to the task at hand, as well as being very well prepared every time she speaks with clients.‘
‘Jelena Bezarević Pajić is absolutely one of the best lawyers around and a real expert in arbitration and court matters. She handles cases in a most efficient and professional manner. Her organisational skills are excellent and her knowledge of law enormous. She is a problem solver and very devoted to cases, which is crucial for each success.‘
‘Attorney at law Tanja Šumar is very competent in arbitration and court matters. Her knowledge of law in general and especially arbitration is remarkable, and she is dedicated to the work she does. It is impressive how she manages to hold every detail of a case in her hands and develop strategy and argumentation on the spot.‘
Government of Montenegro
Ludwig Pfeiffer Hoch & Tiefbau GmbH & Co KG
Mera Investment Fund
- Acted for Sberbank in the collection of its €1.3bn-plus claim against Agrokor, a private food and retail concern.
- Acted for Belgian private investment funds, as claimants, in an investment arbitration against the Republic of Serbia.
- Represented the State of Montenegro in its Uncitral investor-state arbitration, which was commenced by Medusa for alleged breaches of bilateral investment treaties.
Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners represents foreign and domestic clients before courts in both Serbia and in Montenegro. Areas of expertise include commercial, employment, administrative and environmental disputes, bankruptcy-related litigation, IP infringements and enforcement proceedings. Petar Stojanovic is noted for high-value cases, including foreign arbitrations, and Dragan Psodorov is an arbitration specialist.
‘The JSP law firm is unique in its professional and expert approach, as well as its conduct during commercial and labour law disputes and international arbitration.‘
‘The JSP lawyers are knowledgeable and provide clear and concise legal advice.‘
‘The firm is characterised by its analytical abilities, attention to every detail, logical reasoning and sound judgement.‘
‘The lawyers investigate and research all available information with speed and accuracy, and they are always available and accessible. This is a unique practice in comparison to other law firms.‘
‘Dragan Psodorov is unique in the field of international arbitration. His knowledge of international law is great.‘
‘Dragan Psodorov has an exceptionally professional attitude. His case management skills are excellent.‘
‘Dragan Psodorov is highly effective in presenting substantive law while proving facts that are in the client’s interest. This all leads to arbitration decisions that are favourable to the client.‘
MSD Merck Sharp & Dohme
State Lottery of Serbia
IT-TEL construction company
- Represented long-term client, Nelt Co, in a number of litigations initiated by Sinex doo, which related to shareholders’ relations in a joint venture company.
- Acted for Rubau Construcciones, a Spain-based construction company, in a contract termination-related International Chamber of Commerce arbitration.
- Represents the State Lottery of Serbia in a dispute against Croatian company, Nirvana, which related to an alleged breach of Nirvana’s IP rights.
Mikijelj Jankovic & Bogdanovic is particularly experienced in international arbitral proceedings, and in acting before regional arbitration institutions and international courts and tribunals. Vladimir Djeric is a commercial and investment treaty arbitration specialist.
Republic of Serbia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Barlan S&M doo
Mol Serbia doo
SBB doo Serbia
New Company doo Beograd
Atlantik Group doo
TÜV Thüringen e.V.
- Represented SBB doo, a cable television and broadband internet service provider, in several media law disputes.
- Was recently appointed as counsel for Bosnia and Herzegovina in an arbitration under the Uncitral rules.
- Acted for the Republic of Serbia in an ICSID international arbitration.
Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz has a particularly strong relationship with the life sciences sector. Nedeljko Velisavljević represents clients in white-collar defence and investigations, and insolvency and restructuring matters. Attorney at law Nenad Kovačević primarily focuses on dispute resolution and bankruptcy proceedings.
‘The most important thing about this law firm is that its team is capable of handing very complicated cases with exceptional quality. The lawyers perform their tasks very diligently during every litigation, no matter the case value or parties involved.‘
‘The team comprises devoted professionals, with high expertise and diligence – exactly what clients need.‘
‘Nedeljko Velisavljević simply doesn’t know how to lose a case.‘
- Acted for Ball Corporation, a beverage can producer, in various dispute proceedings in Serbia, including a white-collar criminal matter.
- Acted for Ahold Delhaize, one of the world’s largest food retail groups, in various litigation matters, including representation before the Serbian courts.
- Represented Strabag in a number of commercial disputes in Serbia.
Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office
Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office is well known for handling complex and high- value commercial cases before the Serbian and Montenegrin courts. The practice is also highly rated for investment treaty arbitrations. Miloš Milošević specialises in civil and commercial litigation, and Marko Trisic is a commercial litigation expert. Recently promoted senior associate Ivan Ljubisavljavić is experienced in financial services disputes.
‘The lawyers manage to achieve positive court decisions in cases that are very important to clients.‘
‘The strengths of this firm are lawyers with great knowledge and analytical ability. They are professional and well-organised – clients find no weaknesses and are extremely satisfied with the service that this law firm provides.‘
‘The team is very practical and confident, and explains everything so that clients can understand.‘
‘Miloš Milošević and senior associate Ivan Ljubisavljević are co-operative and excellent lawyers.‘
Aik Bank AD Belgrade
Sberbank AD Belgrade
Credit Agricole Srbija ad Novi Sad
Vojvođanska banka Srbija AD Novi Sad
Generali Osiguranje Srbija ADOErste Bank ad Novi Sad
Continental Adria pnevmatike doo
- Acted for Sberbank and Vojvođanskabanka AD Novi Sad in a contentious issue surrounding the potential termination of a loan agreement.
- Successfully acted for Aik Bank AD Belgrade in a mortgage dispute.
- Successfully defended Credit Agricole Srbija AD Novi Sad against a damages claim.
Baklaja Igric Tintor Law Office is best known for arbitration work and white-collar crime litigation. Areas of recent growth are real estate and construction-related arbitration cases. Boris Baklaja regularly acts before the commercial courts and in arbitration proceedings. Jugoslav Tintor is a white-collar criminal law specialist.
‘The experience with this firm is most positive. Its team of lawyers is comprehensive, strategic, one step ahead, and a powerful collaborator. The lawyers fully understand the complexities of disputes.‘
‘The team gives clear answers to concerns, with potential solutions presented in a professional and congenial manner, with all the risks clearly outlined.‘
‘Boris Baklaja is an exceptional strategist and someone who is great to work with. No matter the complexity of the problem, he comes up with the best possible legal options available for a particular set of circumstances.‘
Abeks Financial Consulting
DSV Road Serbia
Byzantio Kesidis Group
- Acted for Zorka Keramika in substantial tax proceedings for allegedly unpaid VAT on services provided.
- Acted for Svolos llc in a claim for unpaid invoices for performed works.
- Acted for Austria’s Abeks Financial Consulting (before the Vienna Arbitration Centre) in its claim against a Serbian construction company for breach of contractual obligations.
Bojović Drašković Popović & Partners handles both ICC and UNCITRAL arbitrations. The team is also experienced in corporate, commercial and bankruptcy proceedings, and labour and IP disputes. Marija Bojović is an arbitration specialist and Uroš Popović acts in IP litigation. Stefan Golubović is a senior associate focused on dispute resolution.
Pluto Housing Corporation
RS Technik TRP doo
- Acted for Pluto Housing Corporation in a land ownership dispute.
- Defended French companies Canal +, Studiocanal and CE Qui Me Meut against copyright infringement litigation.
- Represented Turkey’s Halkbank in 36 different enforcement, litigation and bankruptcy proceedings.
Doklestic Repic & Gajin
Doklestic Repic & Gajin is well known for its expertise in commercial litigation arbitration and labour disputes. Marko Repic is regularly engaged by clients to co-ordinate multi-jurisdictional litigation in Croatia, Kosovo, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
‘The team is ready and available at any time to give proper advice and information. It has a great sense for strategy and timing, and will run a dispute until the final positive outcome.‘
‘The firm has a great dispute resolution team that has the ability to handle all kinds of contentious issues efficiently, including commercial disputes, labour and employment matters, and cross-border issues.‘
‘It really provides top-quality advice and legal support, and is always in full control of the matters handled. The team is business oriented, responsive, skilled and experienced – it is definitely to be recommended as this firm provides real added value to clients’ business.‘
‘The lawyers are top-level professionals, with years of adequate experience. They can solve the hardest cases and their advice is always the right one.‘
‘Marko Repic is great, responsive and always in full control of the cases handled. He is a great litigator and dispute resolution lawyer.‘
‘Marko Repic guides clients throughout the dispute in a very sensitive, persistent and smooth manner. He is experienced and has the ability to predict the opposition’s moves, which gives clients confidence of success.‘
‘Marko Repic is outstanding. His approach to clients is unique because he truly commits himself to finding the best solutions.‘
NLB Bank Montenegro
Philip Morris International
- Represented Carlsberg in litigation initiated by a former high-level manager.
- Acted for Philip Morris International before the local courts and state authorities, in relation to the regulation of the sale of tobacco products.
- Acted for Crnogorski Telekom in high-value litigation in Montenegro.
Golubović Simić & Marinković
Golubović Simić & Marinković focuses on corporate disputes, enforcement proceedings, insolvency and labour disputes. Đorđe Simić acts in matters involving the financial services, real estate, retail and healthcare sectors.
‘The team comprises only senior, highly experienced lawyers. It is a small knowledgeable group that is truly committed to clients. The lawyers are fast and straightforward, and go out of their way to find the best possible strategy.‘
‘The lawyers know how to calm clients, rationalise matters and give the best perspective. The most important thing is that clients trust their judgement.‘
‘The firm is recommended for its top litigators. Clients are glad to have them on their side.‘
‘Đorđe Simić is running a well-organised office, overseeing all matters in a timely fashion and providing excellent consultation.’
‘Đorđe Simić is a brilliant litigator. He is particularly appreciated for his strategic and detailed approach to cases. He anticipates all potential risks and has in-depth knowledge of court procedures.‘
Promobi Servisni Centar
- Represented Beorol, a manufacturer and producer of small building materials, in several disputes, including the termination of a contract.
- Defended Promobi Servisni Centar against a joint-action lawsuit, which alleges that it and a telecoms company violated consumer protection rights.
- Acted for CA Group in a dispute against a Serbian property owner over misuse of bills of exchange.
Marić, Mališić & Dostanić o.a.d. is experienced in commercial disputes, real estate-related litigation, investigations, labour disputes, enforcement procedures and bankruptcy. The firm also has a dedicated ADR practice. Veljko Dostanic acts in complex cases, from first instance to appellate levels. Oliver Radosavljevic has over 14 years' dispute resolution experience.
‘Due to the diversity of its expertise, clients can rely on the practice for any issue that arises. The lawyers are on-time, detailed experts.‘
‘The lawyers easily understand the disputes in question and provide appropriate feedback.‘
Lio Foods doo
Kesz Holding Hungary
- Defended Intereuropa ad against a case initiated by a minority shareholder.
- Defended Komercijalna Banka against 120 claims initiated by clients, both current and former, including loan-related litigation.
- Acted for Apatinska Pivara in a dispute against its former landlord, which arose from differing interpretations of a complex lease agreement.
Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss' dispute resolution team is headed by Nataša Lalović Marić, who has over 20 years' litigation and arbitration experience. Cases handled by the team vary from financial disputes to commercial matters, IP infringements and insolvency-related disputes.
Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics GmbH
UniCredit bank Srbija ad
Export Credit Insurance Organization
Hutchinson doo Ruma
OMV Srbija doo
- Represented Western Union (WU), as a co-defendant, in civil litigation proceedings before the Serbian and Montenegrin courts. These related to customers’ claims for damages, which arose out of the alleged negligence of WU’s agents in processing money transfers.
- Represented the respondent in litigation proceedings initiated by a Serbian trucking company, which involved alleged damages and lost profit claims.
- Acted for Siemens Healthcare Diagnostics in the enforcement of foreign court and arbitral decisions.
Metro Cash & Carry
Soka Gakkai International
- Represents a local subsidiary of Hungarian Gas and Oil Company, Mol, in several high- profile disputes, which relate to its business operations in Serbia.
- Acts for Heineken in various disputes, including real estate issues, enforcement procedures, employment and consumer protection.
- Advises INA, a Croatian multinational oil company, in its property disputes in Serbia.
Prica & Partners is particularly focused on international arbitration. The team also handles corporate litigation and cross-border disputes. Ana Čalić Turudija and Tijana Lalić are international and domestic arbitration specialists.
‘The practice has excellent knowledge of legislation as well as the legal, political and regulatory environment in Serbia.‘
Wizz Air Hungary
- Acted for Cofis SA, a Swiss group specialising in corporate finance and real estate project management, in the annulment of an ICC arbitration award.
- Acted for Luxury Tannery, a Serbian leather producer, in labour litigation that created new court practice regarding employee probation work .
- Successfully defended AstraZeneca in a dispute before Belgrade’s commercial court in Belgrade, which involved the alleged wrongful termination of negotiations.
Samardžić, Oreški & Grbović Law Firm
Samardžić, Oreški & Grbović Law Firm is well known for commercial litigation, international and domestic commercial arbitration, investment treaty arbitration, ADR and employment law claims. Radovan Grbović's practice includes constitutional litigation.
Abbott Medical Balkan
Etihad and Air Serbia
FCC Eko doo
The City of Kikinda
University of Belgrade Faculty of Philosophy
Sparrow doo Varvarin
- Represented Teslianumm doo, and its director, in a number of civil and criminal disputes before various Serbian courts. These proceedings were the result of the breakup of several companies’ complex business relationships.
- Acting for Valspar, an international coating manufacturer, in debt collection matters.
- Acted for Abbott Medical Balkan in litigation involving non-pecuniary damages, which were pursuant to the sale of a faulty pacemaker.
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW)'s practice takes in both litigation and domestic and international arbitration that encompass significant general commercial matters, insurance claims, employment law and insolvency disputes. Nenad Stankovic acts in complex and high-profile disputes. Attorney at law Sara Pendjer specialises in dispute resolution and insolvency.
‘The NST team is dedicated, pays attention to detail, is available when necessary, and provides clear directions for problem solving.’
‘Nenad Stankovic and attorney at law Sara Pendjer are professional, have a lot of knowledge and experience, and provide valuable advice. Clients are always satisfied with their service.‘
Rand Investment, Canada
Apatinska Pivara doo
Unicredit Turnaround Management
- Represented Apatinska Brewery in numerous cases, including disputes surrounding its distribution agreements and rebate payments.
- Acting for Proinvestments (and other clients) in damages claims by around 200 Serbian Bank Agrobanka shareholders.
- Represented Canada’s Rand Investments (and other claimants) in an international investment arbitration, which related to a breach of the bilateral investment treaties between Canada and Serbia, and Cyprus and Serbia.