Personal injury: pursuer in Scotland
Balfour+Manson LLP is consistently involved in complex cases, often involving multiple claimants or cross-border elements, in areas such as public liability, aviation and catastrophic road traffic accidents. APIL accredited fellow David Short, who heads the firm's litigation team, has a background in aviation and mesothelioma claims, while David S McIntosh handles a wide range of high-value claims relating to areas including workplace stress and traumatic brain injuries. Fatal claims arising from offshore accidents represent another key source of work for this specialist team.
Other key lawyers:
David McIntosh; Ann Logan; Julie Clark-Spence; Iain Nicol
Hugh James Solicitors
- Instructed by Hugh James to represent a number of the firm’s clients who are tea pickers in Kenya who sustained musculo-skeletal injuries during the course of their employment.
Digby Brown LLP has an impressive share of personal injury claimant work in Scotland, fielding a large team across offices in seven different regions of Scotland. The practice, which is led by Gordon Dalyell, is particularly well-known for its work on claims relating to road traffic accidents, mesothelioma and aviation disasters such as the Clutha Helicopter crash in which Mark Gibson achieved settlements for all of his clients. In 2018 the firm raised approximately 1,300 court actions, bolstered by Compensate, a new in-house funding package.
Other key lawyers:
‘A very efficient and effective model – the firm has specialist teams which mean their lawyers develop expertise in working on different types of cases, and junior staff are rotated to give them broad experience.’
- Achieving a high value settlement for a client who sustained significant injuries in a road traffic accident in 2012, preventing him from working in private healthcare in his home country, the US, and therefore including a substantial loss of earnings element.
- Pursuing a claim against Glasgow City Council on behalf of the relatives of a victim of the Glasgow bin lorry tragedy in 2014.
- Obtaining settlement for more than double the original amount sought for the pursuer in a high value mesothelioma action relating to historic exposure to asbestos during the course of the claimant’s employment at two separate companies.
- Acting for a young man who injured his hand while working on a fishing vessel.
Harper Macleod LLP handles a high volume of fatal claims and an increasing amount of claims relating to offshore accidents, with the firm seeing a 40% surge in instructions in 2018. Elizabeth Mitchell is regularly sought out by insurers to manage policyholders’ expectations when pursuing claims through their legal expense policy, while 'dedicated' senior associate Marina Harper takes charge of most fatal claims and heads up a team handling employers liability, public liability and serious road traffic accidents.
Other key lawyers:
Heather Calderwood; Marina Harper
‘The team is well informed, resourceful, imaginative, determined and experienced.’
‘Heather Calderwood is determined, practical, hard working and firm.’
‘Senior associate Amy Dickson is resourceful, pleasant and realistic. ‘
- Representing the family of a deceased man who was killed in an accident at sea, whilst working as an offshore fisherman.
- Representing a client who was a passenger in a road traffic accident which resulted in multiple injuries including a spinal cord injury which made him paraplegic.
- Acting for the parents of a young girl significantly injured in a sledging accident that occurred at a pre-school club, which required her to undergo surgery and receive psychiatric treatment.
- Acting for client who suffered permanent injuries as a result of inadequate equipment in the workplace.
Lindsays has a far-reaching personal injury practice which often handles multi-jurisdictional cases with multiple claimants, and takes on a high volume of complex claims relating to loss of society, road traffic accidents, psychological injury, asbestos exposure, and injuries sustained at work. David Armstrong brings considerable expertise to the team as a solicitor-advocate and accredited senior litigator.
‘Lindsays kept me up to date frequently about the progress of my claim and were easy to get in touch with.’
‘Associate Lauren Pasi dealt with my case and I really don’t think I could have someone better. She was very polite, hard working, friendly and kept me informed along the way.’
33 Legal Limited
Autoclaims UK Limited
Cassidy & Nicholson
Clear Law Solicitors
First Accident Assistance
Jeff Law Limited
Freedom Management Group
Scotland Injury Lawyers
Total Claims Solutions
- Achieving a high value settlement for the family of a ten-year-old boy seriously injured in a road traffic accident in 2009, when the car he was in collided with a tractor.
- Acting for multiple pursuers in a fatal claim for damages on behalf of a family member who died when an unattended vehicle rolled down a hill and struck him.
- Pursuing an action for compensation based on psychological injuries sustained by the claimant as a result of bullying and harassment over a series of years while he was working for the Royal Mail, leading to his retirement and a substantial wage loss as well as a loss of pension.
Morton Fraser’s personal injury practice achieved a 50% surge in instructions in 2018, with cyclists claims for damages being a particular area of growth for the firm. The team is known for robustly pursuing fatal claims, in particular those brought by bereaved families of victims killed in road traffic accidents, and brings further expertise handling claims in all areas where there are potential health and safety breaches, such as major construction accidents and exposure to asbestos at work. Senior associate Nicola Edgar stands out for her instruction in a wide range of employers' and public liability claims.
Other key lawyers:
DAS Legal Expenses Insurance
O’Donnell & Co
The Glasgow Law Practice (GLP)
- Representing the families of two men who were fatally injured in a road traffic accident.
- Representing the family of a child killed in a road traffic accident, in a case that involves the rare question of whether step-grandparents and step-grandchildren are entitled to damages.
- Representing the family of a construction worker killed when he fell from scaffolding.
- Representing the family in a fatal mesothelioma case.
Aided by two solicitor-advocates, Thorntons Law LLP’s large team has notable abilities in pursuing claims for workers who have sustained life-changing injuries. Gordon McBean specialises in high value brain injuries, while ‘highly skilled’ associate Kathleen-Erin Lawson leads the industrial disease team. Solicitor advocate Michelle Adam has a wealth of experience acting for clients suffering from injuries caused by workplace accidents or clinical negligence.
Gordon McBean; Clare Macpherson
‘Thorntons have a very driven and customer focused team. They are a pleasure to work with and always communicate well. ‘
‘The team’s strengths include clarity and details of instruction, feedback on reports, attention to detail and reliability when settling fees.’
‘Michelle Adam is a good lawyer and excellent with clients.’
‘Clare Macpherson is good to work with and knows her stuff. ‘
‘Gordon McBean has excellent legal knowledge, is focused on delivering good client care and is always easy to contact and plan with.’
- Represented agricultural worker who was badly injured when a cow charged him, and achieved a greatly increased settlement offer for him.
- Represented a Chinese national involved in a serious road traffic accident in Scotland resulting in multiple and complex injuries, and negotiated a high level of compensation.
- Acted for young crew member who suffered life-changing and mutilating injuries aboard works vessel.
- Representing young man who has suffered a devastating and mutilating near-amputation injury to his hand whilst working with a band saw.
Irwin Mitchell Scotland
Led by 'excellent litigator' David Bell, Irwin Mitchell has advised claimants on the fallout from several major public disasters such as the Nimrod helicopter crash and the 2012 outbreak of legionnaires disease in Edinburgh. Bell has an additional niche in claims relating to brain injuries: his team sit on the Scottish Head Injury Forum. In recent years the firm has managed a range of complex, often high profile instructions, including fatal claims turning on employers’ liability arguments and serious road traffic accidents leading to the provision of prosthetic limbs.
‘Caring professionals who strive to secure the maximum compensation for each client.’
‘Thorough and diligent in progressing claims and always willing to take the time to fully explain to clients the ins and outs of their litigation.’
‘David Bell’s experience of complex claims really helps to guide clients through the maze of their litigation. He seems to relish the challenge that a difficult case brings and really enjoys getting his teeth into a thorny problem.’
- Secured settlement for family members of a member of the military who took his own life as a result of mental health problems in a long running breach of duty claim against the Ministry of Defence, who denied liability for a number of years.
Anderson Strathern receives a high volume of instructions from the Royal College of Nursing on behalf of their staff for claims relating to accidents at work or outside of work, as well as other claims in areas such as noise induced hearing loss, assault and psychological injury. The team is led by the experienced Robert Carr and Catriona Watt; the 'excellent' Gary Burton was promoted to director in 2018, while Natalie McCartney, a solicitor advocate and prolific litigator in the Sheriff Court and the Court of Session, is now a senior associate.
Robert Carr; Catriona Watt
‘The team secured an excellent settlement with the defender paying all costs so the final bill to my trade union was zero. Superb result.’
‘Anderson Strathern offer a varied range of expertise, which is extremely useful, especially when your case is of a complicated nature.’
‘The team exhibit a friendly yet professional attitude that makes dealing with them so much easier than other firms.’
Royal College of Nursing
Harper, Robertson and Shannon
Masson & Glennie
Martin & Co
Lynn Herbert & Co
Smith & Grant
- Representing a client in an action against her employer after she was injured tripping over a bin bag of rubbish that had been left in a hospital corridor.
- Representing numerous clients against health boards in actions for damages following the insertion of trans-vaginal tape or other pelvic mesh to repair pelvic organ prolapse.
- Representing the executor of a client in a claim to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority following an assault at work.
- Represented a client in an action for psychological injury.
Jackson Boyd LLP handles high value road traffic accidents and a wide range of employers liability claims, including offshore accidents, noise induced hearing loss and construction accidents. In 2018 the team experienced notable growth: the firm's employers liability team increased its instructions by almost 50%, and its motor team saw a 30% increase in fee income. 'Extremely capable' solicitor advocate Debbie Milne has particular expertise with industrial disease claims and a strong reputation for handling brain and spinal injuries sustained at work or during public accidents.
Alan Macdonald; Debbie Milne
‘All of the team’s solicitors have great rapport with their clients and work hard to make sure that key areas are well researched/investigated and appropriate experts instructed when required.’
‘The team at Jackson Boyd are experienced, knowledgeable and proactive and provide great customer service.’
‘Professional, efficient and capable of dealing with cases across the whole spectrum of subject matters.’
‘Debbie Milne is a determined lawyer who fights her corner with real spirit and tenacity.’
‘Alan MacDonald is unflappable and completely reliable.’
- Obtaining interim payments for a client in an ongoing claim for damages following a road traffic accident in which the claimant sustained serious injuries and may require an above knee amputation.
- Acting on behalf of the wife (and six additional family members) of a motorcyclist killed in an accident in June 2015 in a high value claim involving loss of support and pension loss.
- Acting for the family of a construction worker killed in an accident during the construction of a power substation in a high profile claim involving a civil claim and a potential Fatal Accident Inquiry.
- Acting for a client who sustained significant injury in a fall at a council recycling centre in a complex case.
Slater and Gordon's team successfully pursued several mesothelioma claims in 2018, achieving high settlements for clients. The firm’s broader caseload comprises employers’ liability, public liability and fatal claims. Besides acting for individuals, the team represents trade unions such as the Scottish Police Federation and PCS Trade Union. Team head Stuart Cochran works with legal executive Karyn McPhee, who has 25 years’ experience in this field.
Other key lawyers: