TMT: gambling law in Romania
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii is a top choice for some of the largest online and offline gambling operators in the market, which use the firm for a broad range of licensing, commercial, IP, litigation, employment and regulatory issues. The team, which is led by the highly rated Cristian Radu, also acts for ancillary companies serving the industry, including software developers, sports content providers and payment processors.
‘The gambling industry is a domain where in order to be a legal expert you also need to be very aware on technology capabilities and also have knowledge on aspects such as financial/payments, IP, privacy, marketing and advertising. Cristian Radu coordinates a team of people that have knowledge in all aspects from operational and management of the gambling industry up until the latest innovation and products which are in the market.’
Amaya Gaming (PokerStars and Full Tilt)
Betclic Everest Group
Global Collect Services
- Advising PokerStars on a wide range of compliance and regulatory issues including its 2019 re-authorisation process.
- Acting for Amelco UK, a leading sportsbook software services provider, on obtaining a second-class gambling licence in order to offer specialised sportsbook software to online operators in Romania.
- Assisting B2B service provider, Kambi Sports Solutions, with setting up its local business, including the renewal of its second-class gambling licence.
Simion & Baciu Law Firm spun out of Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen in mid 2019. Managing partners, Ana-Maria Baciu and Cosmina Simion, were the linchpins behind their former firm's market-leading gambling and gaming practice, and remain the go-to advisers for clients in this sector. The specialised team covers all areas of licensing, compliance, enforcement and the interpretation of gaming regulations, and has close interaction with the Romanian National Gambling Office. Senior associate Andrei Cosma is also highly experienced in this area.
Cosmina Simion; Ana-Maria Baciu
‘Excellent local market knowledge and unrivalled experience when in comes to Romanian laws applicable to online gambling and the regulatory regime/environment in respect of online gambling generally.’
‘Simion & Baciu is the go-to firm in Romania in the IP and Gambling space. The deep and extensive knowledge of Ana Maria Baciu and Cosmina Simion is unparalleled and this helps any business significantly in constant issues that surface from time to time.’
‘Cosmina Simion and Ana-Maria Baciu are a great double-act. They work together seamlessly to pick up client queries and requests and ensure first class service delivery. This responsiveness when coupled with local expertise, good knowledge of the drivers and needs of English law firms which instruct S&B on behalf of their clients makes S&B a compelling offering. Despite only recently having been established we have not noticed any change in service delivery and the S&B transition was extremely smooth.’
Paddy Power Betfair
Tom Horn Gaming
- Assisting Betfair with the renewal of its gambling authorisation, as well as the extension of its Romanian gambling license to cover casino games.
- Succesfully advising Maxbet on the approval process for adding several hundred new casino games to its online platform.
- Acting for Sportingbet on expanding its portfolio of casino games in Romania and also assisting with the new AML regime that has been enacted.
Cunescu, Balaciu & Asociatii
Cunescu, Balaciu & Asociatii acts for several major offline and online gambling companies, with some longstanding relationships going back over 15 years. Advice covers the full gamut of commercial, regulatory, licensing and contentious issues, and the firm has been involved in several significant joint ventures in the sector. Managing partner Dinu Petre has a strong track record.
‘A very professional office, with open minds and great human resources. I find it very easy to communicate our needs and very easy to receive solutions.’
Magic H&Ro S.R.L.
Slot Partner Malta
Stanleybet Romania Online
- Assisting GameWorld Invest with a broad range of regulatory and licensing issues, including obtaining up-to-date permits and authorisations.
- Advising Slot Branch on its joint venture with GameWorld for the common exploitation across GameWorld’s nine branches.
- Advising Wirecard Bank on obtaining a second-class gambling licence as a payment processor.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA is recommended for its regulatory and licensing work, but in recent years it has been the contentious space where Radu Balas's practice has really stood out. This has included major disputes against the authorities for online gambling companies, as well as their customers. Managing associate Daniela Călin also has plenty of experience in this area.
Hillside (Gaming) (bet365 Group)
William Hill Group
Scientific Games Group
Genius Sports Group
Inspired Gaming Group
- Acting for 270 customers of bet365 in challenging administrative fines applied by the National Office for Gambling, with a success rate of over 60%.
- Representing bet365 Group in a multimillion-euro administrative dispute against the National Gambling Office regarding the validity of its right to operate online gambling activities in Romania in 2015.
- Representing William Hill Group in a complex claim to recover fines retrospectively imposed by the Romanian authorities linked to the client’s business activities since 2010.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen's former practice heads Cosmina Simion and Ana-Maria Baciu left to form their own firm, Simion & Baciu Law Firm. However, associate Alina Tace (formerly Dumitru) has a strong focus on this area, and the firm continues to provide regulatory and tax advice to existing clients.