Simion & Baciu Law Firm has an ‘excellent‘ practice that is ‘smart and hands on with all issues related to IP‘. The team has good credentials for IP portfolio management, including registration and prosecution strategies, IP rights transfers, licensing and franchising, as well anti-counterfeiting, trade mark infringement and litigation. The group has an impressive range of technology and media clients, particularly on the gambling side, as well as life sciences, consumer goods and manufacturing. Among the partners, Cosmina Simion is ‘a brilliant lawyer and a very trustworthy person‘, while Ana-Maria Baciu and Andreea Bende are ‘both wonderful professionals with a deep knowledge of IP law‘.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Simion & Baciu Law Firm
A partnership formed by Cosmina Simion and Ana-Maria Baciu, Simion & Baciu strives to provide excellency in various areas of law and regulated industries with a particular focus on media and entertainment, retail, FMCG, automotive, technology and life science sectors.View Profile...
Intellectual property in Romania
Ana-Maria Baciu; Cosmina Maria Simion; Andreea Bende
‘Simion & Baciu is a very experienced law firm with good knowledge of intellectual property practice.’
‘We have strongest confidence in Cosmina Simion who is a brilliant lawyer and a very trustworthy person. She has managed to gather a strong professional team around her practice’
‘Responsive and practical advice.’
‘Andreea Bende has provided very good strategic advice in relation to related contentious matters.’
‘The team is unique. They are smart and hands on with all issues related to IP. They are friendly and always offering their help. They are different from any other lawyers and/or IP counsellors. I would gladly recommend them to anyone looking for real time counseling in any IP matter.’
‘The Simion & Baciu team is excellent. Having spun off only few years ago, they are an established top tier player in the Romanian market – for good reasons. Great client service, top quality, friendly people.’
‘Andreea Bende is very smart and knowledgeable. A pleasure to work with.’
‘Speed, knowledgeable, and very business-oriented.’
‘Very good professionals specialized in their field. Very responsive.’
‘The people and their skills make this firm a unique provider in Romania: qualified and professional, responsive and responsible, cost effective and organised.’
‘The lawyers of Simion & Baciu are highly dedicated to serve their clients in an efficient and effective way, by remaining focused and professional. We appreciate especially to collaborate with Andreea Bende and Ana-Maria Baciu. They realise the real potential that lies behind an efficient collaboration with foreign partners and adapt their service level to the required quality.’
‘Responsiveness – this practice is extremely responsive and proactive in all matters. They’re also very creative and insightful in addressing complex matters and have shown particular strength in negotiations.’
‘Andreea Bende – I especially value her pragmatism, coupled with a rich creativity when it comes to finding solutions to complex problems.’
‘The whole team is responsive, reliable and very easy to work with.’
‘Andreea Bende and Ana-Maria Baciu are both wonderful professionals with a deep knowledge of IP law, they are highly responsive and practical and very easy and pleasant to work with. They both demonstrate excellent knowledge by proposing good solutions that take into account all aspects of the case providing high quality, business-minded advice’
‘Simion & Baciu combines private law standards with intellectual property boutique expertise superbly. They are knowledgeable, highly responsive, quick in their analyses, reliable and thus good value to the money.’
‘Andreea Bende’s know-how on trademarks and strong hand handling gives us the confidence that our trademark portfolio is well monitored and protected. We also note the work of their new addition to the team Zsofia Halmagyi, which is consistent with firm’s level of services.’
‘Outstanding know how. Excellent business understanding.’
‘Law firm Simion & Baciu helped us in the area regarding intellectual property with the connection to the gambling law. They have shown high level of expertise. Also they are open to collaboration regarding various legal areas with quick response.’
‘I have appreciated the quick responses each time to my queries and the technical content of each opinion that I have been provided with.’
‘I have verified a strong legal background on a specific matter that is usually a niche in the European legislation (Customs law).’
Sky International AG / Sky PLC
Urb Rulmenti Succeava SA
BTK Befrachtungs- und Transportkontor GmbH
Philip Morris International
PRO TV SRL (part of CME Group)
Heineken Romania SA
Bilka Steel SRL
Bitdefender IPR Management Ltd
Softnews Net SRL
Skin Media SRL
Nys Experience SRL
Maxbet Entertainment Group
Libra Internet Bank SA
TEVA Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd TEVA Pharmaceuticals SRL
IT Prepared SRL
Mester Media SRL
- Assisting URB Rulmenti Suceava with securing the trademark rights over the URB house brand in various proceedings before the Romanian State Office for Inventions and Trademarks, as well as before the competent courts, in a conflict with one of its direct competitors on the Romanian market.
- Assisting Sky International in connection with a trademark infringement and unfair competition claim launched in 2017 against several infringers.
- Assisting Libra Internet Bank in various trademark disputes before the EUIPO and internationally, seeking to secure and enforce the rights over its LIBRA house brand in the EU.
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a comprehensive IP team that is commended for being ‘well equipped and well versed to handle all types of IP matters‘. The advisory side is handled by the ‘extremely capable and well regarded IP professional‘ Ciprian Dragomir , where in addition to standalone IP registrations and portfolio management, the lawyers are extremely experienced in providing M&A support, as well as advice on franchising, licensing and joint venture agreements. Clients also single out ‘super hard working‘ managing associate Dana Blaer who is ‘gaining more and more prominence with her wide experience across a spectrum of IP matters’. On the contentious side, Ioana Hrisafi is an ‘excellent IP litigation lawyer‘, while the ‘terrific‘ managing associate Mihaela Maxim is ‘genuinely passionate about intellectual property‘.
Ciprian Dragomir; Ioana Hrisafi
Other key lawyers:
Dana Blaer; Mihaela Maxim
‘The IP team has a very good understanding of the client’s needs.’
‘They provide honest advice.’
‘The group is well equipped and well versed to handle all types of IP matters: trademarks, patents, copyright, geographical indications and regulatory issues, as well as related IP litigation. Their in-depth expertise in data protection, smuggling and anti-counterfeiting cases is also a plus.’
‘Undoubtedly, Dana Blaer is one of the leading figures in the IP team. She is professional, hardworking and has great empathy with the client. Mihaela Maxim from the litigation department has deep technical knowledge of intellectual property matters and is very efficient in court.’
‘The IP team is remarkable: 24/7 availability, stellar service, highly experienced IP practitioners – definitely our top choice in Romania!’
‘Ciprian Dragomir: thinks creatively, extremely capable and well regarded IP professional. Dana Blaer: she is gaining more and more prominence with her wide experience across a spectrum of IP matters, also super hard working. Ioana Hrisafi: excellent IP litigation lawyer, business-minded and extremely persuasive in courts, where she has obtained formidable results. Mihaela Maxim: terrific IP litigation lawyer, genuinely passionate about intellectual property.’
‘Wide range of area of practice; Very Good knowledge of taxation laws; Dynamic team;’
‘Easy communication, each one of them are helpful and dedicated to their work.’
Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
Farul Constanta Football Club
- Legal assistance to Expur in connection with the prosecution of trademarks.
- Day-to-day legal assistance to Carrefour Romania in relation to various intellectual property related issues affecting its operations on the Romanian retail market, including several alleged trademark and design counterfeit cases.
- Advising and representing 3M Company in a dispute regarding the infringement of a 3M brand.
Buzescu Ca fields an experienced IP practice that is ‘extremely supportive and gives thorough, commercially-minded advice‘. The lawyers have a good track record on contentious and non-contentious IP issues across a range of sectors including life sciences, technology, consumer goods and manufacturing. This extends to crucial due diligence support on M&A deals, where the firm is regularly referred work by major international law firms. Adrian Tomescu leads the well regarded team which represents several household names in the fashion industry, including L’Oreal and Pierre Cardin. Founding partner Peter Buzescu and associate Corina Papuzu also have good credentials.
Other key lawyers:
‘As a strength, I’d like to note their considerable experience and expertise. The team is very responsive, and they have also easily adjusted to the specific billing system we have in place.’
‘All of the partners and associates we engaged with were very professional, particularly Corina Papuzu and Peter Buzescu. It was a pleasure working with them.’
‘The team are extremely supportive and give thorough, commercially-minded advice.’
‘The matter we entrusted to Buzescu was an administrative procedure that was carried out successfully and on time.’
‘We don’t often need to use Romanian firms and so far we have only used Buzescu Ca for this one matter. But we found them to be knowledgeable, efficient and responsive.’
‘We dealt with partner, Peter Buzescu. Peter was very friendly and helpful. ’
Sun Pharmaceutical Industries
Alvogen IPCO and its subsidiary Labormed Pharma Trading
Otani Tire Co.
Mr. Ping Pinky Lai
Gestion De Inversiones Caroma, S.L.
- Advised L’Oreal with regard to the filing of legal actions for the cancellation of two trademarks based on previously registered AZZARO trademarks, and the relevant court representation.
- Advised Alvogen with regard to a request submitted with the Ministry of Health to amend and approve a treatment protocol, as well as on victories in several court cases concerning alleged patent infringement, and a motion to suspend the approved price of a generic drug.
- Advised Algolia with regard to the due diligence of the target company, MorphL AI, including the status of its intellectual property rights, such as the assignment and transfer of the IP rights created by employees and third party contractors.
MILCEV BURBEA Intellectual Property & Law Office
MILCEV BURBEA Intellectual Property & Law Office is a highly regarded IP boutique with a ‘very efficient and proactive‘ team of lawyers. The firm covers all corners of the market including contentious and non-contentious trade mark, copyright, design and patent issues. The practice has a good track record on registrations, customs enforcement proceedings and anti-counterfeiting measures, where it represents several high-profile brands in the consumer goods industry. The advisory side covers all aspects of portfolio management and strategy, including acquisitions and licensing. The ‘very attentive‘ Gabriela Milcev ‘is always fair in her analysis‘, while fellow partner Iulia Burbea is ‘flexible and understanding and approachable‘. Partner Veronica Floroiu is also recommended.
Iulia Burbea; Gabriela Milcev
Other key lawyers:
‘Our company works with Milcev Burbea team for a long time, for over 15 years, and we appreciate the in depth analysis of each trademark conflict and the solutions that they propose for the various situations we encounter. It is convenient that they can handle cases from the administrative stages in front of the Romanian PTO and then to represent us as lawyers in the appeal stages in front of the competent courts. We value their experience in registering international trademarks and we have worked also in defense to copyright infringement allegations. They are prompt to our requests for advice and we trust that with them our trademark portfolio is in good hands.’
‘Gabriela Milcev is our main connection with Milcev Burbea team, very attentive to all the cases that we send to her and always ready to listen and understand our commercial point of view. All the solutions that she proposes are well balancing between legal possibilities and commercial interests. She is always fair in her analysis, disclosing for us also the weak points of each situation and this is much appreciated. Collaborating with her gives you the security of receiving a quality advice.’
‘One of the greatest teams I ever worked, short and efficient without necessary empty topics or discussion. We as a customer are very pleased to have chance to work with this team.’
‘I want to mention Iulia Burbea first since most of the contacts occur with her. Considering my experience with lawyers I want to mention Ms Iulia as professional and nice person, flexible and understanding and approachable in any time if necessary. All actions done in a timely manner and professional.’
‘The team is very efficient and proactive, as well as being very helpful.’
‘Veronica Floroiu and Iulia Burbea are very efficient and proactive. They found solutions for our client’s needs with tight deadlines and at not too high costs.’
MIP METRO GROUP
SUN WAVE PHARMA
ASOCIATION „FOTBAL CLUB RAPID BUCURESTI”
SUN STARS & SONS
- Successfully represented the football club, Rapid Bucuresti, in the defence of its name “RAPID”, by cancelling a trademark registered in bad faith by an alternative football structure.
- Reprenting Romaqua Group, one of the largest producers of mineral water in Romania, in all the stages of a conflict with another local producer of mineral water over the design of a bottle.
- Representing Rolex in a campaign against various companies which were using trade names that were free-riding the “Rolex” brand.
Musat & Asociatii has a comprehensive IP practice with a good background in contentious infringement proceedings as well as registration and licensing matters. Practice head Paul George Buta , who also leads the EU and competition group, ‘is a top IP lawyer, with an academic background, who can provide innovative solutions applying the most recent insights’. Clients also recommend managing associate Julieta Sfeclă who ‘knows all there is to know about trademarks and is very familiar with what is happening in the sector in Romania and in the EU‘. The team regularly works with international firms on cross-border IP issues.
Paul George Buta
Other key lawyers:
Dan Minoiu; Julieta Sfeclă
‘Very comprehensive in their analysis of any problem, will work with other specializations within the firm to address all angles of an issue. They think and plan according to the real objectives of the business and provide the best advice to achieve those objectives. They know our business and can anticipate our goals and align their advice to our strategy.’
‘Paul Buta is a top IP lawyer, with an academic background, who can provide innovative solutions applying the most recent insights and having a very strategic approach, planning well ahead and thinking about all possible risks. Julieta Sfecla knows all there is to know about trademarks and is very familiar with what is happening in the sector in Romania and in the EU.’
‘Musat & Asocitii have been dealing with an Intellectual Property case quite important for our company for some years most satisfactorily. We were referred to them by another firm and have been a very good choice so far. Beyond the basic capabilities, which they posses them all, I would note their loyalty to clients and their capacity to anticipate any problem and/or situation. When having a litigation process abroad it is always good to know that you’ve got a professional firm dealing on your behalf and making it easy-to-understand.’
‘Paul Buta – Partner, and Julieta Sfecla – Managing Associate: both of them have a high technical and specialised IP law level.’
‘They work with us on very complex matters while being very attentive to details. They have shown great ability in understanding complex and innovative contractual mechanisms that respond to our business objectives. We have found their advice to be comprehensive and their approach to be meticulous. I have particularly liked the fact that they always think not only of what the law provides but also of what the answer of the other party is likely to be. In the numerous calls on the matter, I have found them to be very responsive and always aiming for perfection in their delivery.’
‘I have primarily worked with Paul Buta who we trust has the skills and capacity to handle such complex matters. He was open to understanding the very complicated workings of the project and has provided valuable input throughout. I especially liked that he can think in terms of not only intellectual property, media and advertising law, but also in terms of liability to the business as it is supposed to operate. He is mindful of all risks that can appear and always finds a way to make it happen.’
‘Paul Buta is the coordinator of the IP and competition team and our main point of contact. Paul is a very good lawyer who always provides business-focused solutions in a clear and comprehensive manner, straightforward and consistent with our intentions, which is essential. He has an impressive number of professional achievements in all kinds of IP litigations and has a particularly analytical and strategic thinking, which helps us with complex legal problems on the market. In our opinion, the fact that he is also a professor of law and his experience in all fields of IP and competition make him a great practitioner, an excellent strategist and one of the most valuable lawyers in Romania. Julieta Sfecla is a skilled IP lawyer, highly qualified, with a particular focus on trademarks. Julieta has great legal skills and provides sound and practical legal advice in an efficient and responsive manner. She is dedicated to working on our projects, oriented to finding what is best for the client.
‘I want to mention Paul Buta, who is outstanding at all times. He has an excellent knowledge on intellectual property and a great capacity of synthesizing. Always up to date and open for calls and quick updates.’
SAVE THE CHILDREN ORGANIZATION
- Acting as portfolio manager for Deutsche Telekom’s trademarks in Romania, providing assistance and representation in various proceedings and the extension of the trademark portfolio through new filing applications.
- Representing CDK GLOBAL OY, a leading producer of fleet management software in complex trademark and copyright infringement proceedings against its former licensee.
- Pro bono representation of the Romanian branch of Save The Children Organization against a local association with an identical name.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has made significant investments into its IP team in the past 18 months. The practice, which handles patent, trade mark and copyright issues, is now headed by experienced IP specialist and of counsel Magda Popescu who joined from her own firm in early 2021. The practice was further strengthened by the arrival of senior associate Florina Firaru, who is ‘always willing to go above and beyond to offer excellent client service‘. The ‘well resourced‘ practice ‘provides expertise in a clear and concise manner‘ and works closely with the firm’s market-leading corporate and disputes teams on related IP disputes and due diligence exercises. Alina Tace is also well regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Alina Tace; Florina Firaru
‘NNDKP has assisted various clients with trade mark filing, opposition and settlement work. Its strengths lie in being a well resourced IP team, which provides expertise in a clear and concise manner.’
‘Florina Firaru is always willing to go above and beyond to offer excellent client service.’
NALA COSMETICS SRL
House of Cosmetics A/S and Ecooking ApS
FORMULA ONE LICENSING B.V.
Smithfield Romania/Agroalim Distribution
PPR & PARTNER
Rotkäppchen‑Mumm Sektkellereien GmbH
- Successfully represented NALA Cosmetics in the trademark prosecution and enforcement of the NALA brand in Romania, and also at European level and in Germany.
- Successfully represented the Danish company, House of Cosmetics, in obtaining national, European and international trademark registrations for the brands in its portfolio.
- Representing Formula One Licensing with the enforcement of its IP rights on the Romanian market including customs seizures and active criminal case files.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has a ‘very responsive, critical thinking and flexible‘ IP team that is commended for its ‘litigation expertise and pragmatic strategy‘. The practice has a particularly good grasp of copyright disputes where it represents several significant clients in the publishing and entertainment industry. The past year saw the firm handle several major patent protection disputes for its life sciences clients. The firm is also commended for its experience on cross-border IP issues. Of counsel Lucian Mihai is a highly respected figure in the market, while disputes partner Valentin Berea and managing associate Andrada Rusan have ‘outstanding capabilities in the field of trademarks and copyright‘.
Lucian Mihai; Valentin Berea
‘Highly professional: people, collaboration, promptness.’
‘Project approach, very high knowledge level, team work – Valentin Berea.’
‘Our collaboration mostly entailed trademark cases and their international protection. I particularly appreciate their litigation expertise and pragmatic strategy that they chose when dealing with a case, pursuing it relentlessly until obtaining a favorable decision.’
‘I would like to point out that Valentin Berea, Costin Taracila, Vicu Buzac and Andrada Rusan have showed time and time again outstanding diligence in their professional conduct and a great sense of responsibility and professionalism. They are very responsive and have a proactive attitude towards all the mandates we entrust them with. The team has a sound understanding of the law across various areas, providing very well put together business-oriented legal solutions.’
‘I have excellent impressions of their expertise, responsiveness and success rate in the cases referred.’
‘I have worked in IP matters with Valentin Berea and Andrada Rusan. Both have outstanding capabilities in the field of trademarks and copyright and impressive communication culture. Apart form being fluent in English, they have excellent command of business language which was noted and appreciated by the clients we referred to them.’
‘Very responsive, critical thinking and flexible.’
‘Valentin Berea – very knowledgeable of copyright, critical thinking and always eager to help.’
Bayer Animal Health GmbH
British American Tobacco
- Represented Bayer Animal Health in litigation proceedings against Ceva Sante Animale seeking to protect its patent for a medicine that treats specific diseases in piglets.
- Representing Bookster on all aspects of a dispute with 12 publishing houses in Romania and the Romanian Association of Publishing Houses which sued Bookster for alleged unfair competition practices and copyright infringement.
- Represented Binovate Labs in relation to a pro-bono initiative during the Covid-19 lockdown, on data protection and intellectual property matters regarding a platform where individuals could generate the necessary forms requested by the authorities where lockdown measures were in force.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners is an extremely popular choice for complex IP disputes and has ‘the knowledge and the skills to achieve any results‘. The team is led by the ‘IP savvy‘ Alina Tugearu whose ‘perfect grasp over both the legal matters and the details of the case ensure an exhaustive defence’. Clients benefit from the firm’s stock of seasoned litigators, with Cosmin Vasile particularly singled out for IP matters, and being ‘very experienced in terms of business solutions and highly experienced on practice’. The team covers a wide range of trade mark, patent and copyright disputes and also has experience representing clients in the advertising industry.
Other key lawyers:
‘ZRVP is our preferred law firm for any sensitive or complex matter, with an excellent track record and speedy delivery. Their strategic vision and feel for the business has always been the reason why we use them, combined with perfect grasp of the legal matters and reasonable cost. A true partner’
‘Cosmin Vasile is one of the best Romanian lawyers, with an incredible mind that always finds the best solution. Alina Tugearu has always delivered, we trust her for any matter, her grasp of the legal matters and focus on results have always astonished us. Calin Zamfirescu is the most reputed Romanian lawyer, we are honoured to have his support for the most sophisticated matters’
‘The key phrase which describes ZRVP’s IP team is strategic vision and we have had multiple instances where this was experienced and confirmed. Cosmin Vasile and Alina Tugearu are the IP team we go to if sensitive cases appear, because we trust them to find and implement the best solution. Their most recent success in a complex patent matter proves that we are not wrong to trust them in finding the proper solutions. Our collaboration has always been successful and we have always received the best services from these open-minded lawyers who are both excellent professionals and good friends, for a fair cost.’
‘Cosmin Vasile stands out as the strategist, he simply has an innate instinct for the best and simplest solutions to the most intricate matters. His years of experience in the court room make the difference and his support gives us confidence. Alina Tugearu is IP savvy and her perfect grasp over both the legal matters and the details of the case ensure an exhaustive defence which keep us confident and protected whenever having her on our side.’
‘Good, professional team. Very good practice and client orientated solutions. Creative in terms of business approach and always positive’
‘Alina Tugearu – Very senior person, highly involved and professional knowledge. Passionate and focused on Client solutions. Cosmin Vasile – Very senior, very experienced in terms of business solutions and highly experienced on practice.’
‘ZRVP has an excellent team. We have always had great results for reasonable cost, they have been open and flexible in find the best solutions. They have proven that they have the knowledge and the skills to achieve any results’
‘Alina Tugearu is an excellent lawyer, we have a very good relationship, she always delivers and takes the time to explain the process. I trust her and this is what matters.’
Cabinet M. Oproiu, European Patent and Trademark Attorneys
Network One Distribution
Annabella Fabrica de Conserve Raureni
- Defended OMV Petrom against a damages claim filed by the heir of Ion Basgan, a Romanian engineer and inventor, famous for the discovery of the effect that bears his name (“the Basgan effect”), for the alleged abusive exploitation, during the communist regime, of two patents related to the oil drilling industry.
- Representing Atelierele Pegas in a claim filed by ZEG Zweirad-Einkaufs-Genossenschaft for the annulment of the Pegas brand of bicycle, which was created in the communist regime in the 1970s and reinvented by its current holder in 2012.
- Representing Siraj A.D. Impex, a well known Romanian company in an infringement claim against another local company that wrongfully appropriated its commercial name and registered it as a trademark.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica is commended for its ‘high level of professionalism and engagement‘ . The firm’s strong focus on the technology sector inevitably leads to a strong flow of complex contentious and non-contentious IP mandates from major clients such as Google. The firm’s expertise ranges from assisting clients with IP licensing and transactional issues, through to high-value trade mark, patent and copyright infringement claims. Practice head Anca Albulescu and managing associate Cristina Randjak are the two main contacts.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at bpv GRIGORESCU STEFANICA continually provides us with expert, tailor-made legal advice. We especially value the high level of professionalism and engagement they show in their work, irregardless of the complexity of the task. They work efficiently as a team and make use of their exceptional local law expertise to support us in a wide variety of legal issues. Over the past 6 years of working with the law firm, we’ve never received anything less than outstanding. ’
‘All members of the bpv GRIGORESCU STEFANICA team are highly skilled, legal professionals, who are able to work both independently and as part of a team. Each team member has a great knowledge of Romanian and EU law regulations and is ready to provide support even under pressure of tight deadlines. ’
Zedra Group Services Limited
- Legal adviser to Google in Romania on all matters relating to product compliance and regulatory, commercial advice, intellectual property, privacy and data protection.
- Advised the venture capital fund Draper Esprit in connection with its Series B lead investment in FintechOS, including a due diligence analysis of the target company focusing on Intellectual Property, Commercial, Corporate and Employment matters.
- Advised Fitbit Inc. regarding the mandatory registration and notification requirements for medical device manufacturers in Romania, considering both the national and EU legal framework.
CMS handles the full range of contentious and non-contentious patent, trade mark and copyright matters. The firm’s geographical footprint also gives its clients access to strong support on cross-border and regional IP strategies. The practice regularly handles trade mark registration and enforcement proceedings, and also has a good track record on IP licensing negotiations. Clients come from across the TMT, life sciences and consumer goods sectors, and the team regularly coordinates multijurisdictional matters from the Bucharest office. Senior associate Valentina Parvu leads the team, and disputes partner Horia Draghici also has good experience of IP litigations.
Radio Max Romania
Tech Data Advanced Solutions
Tech Data Distribution Sro Praga – Sucursala Bucuresti
Romanian Business Consult
- Assisted Radio Max, part of Rewe Group, in relation to co-ordinating its European obligations to pay copyright royalties to the relevant collective management organizations.
- Advising Tech Data Advanced Solutions SRL, one of the Romanian arms of Tech Data, a multinational distribution company specializing in IT products and services, with respect to their copyright royalty payment obligations.
- Assisting August Storck, a food company, in filing a successful opposition before the Romanian State Office for Patents and Trademarks (OSIM) against an alleged infringer.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA has a ‘very professional and very knowledgeable‘ IP team led by the ‘very reliable‘ counsel Ana-Maria Andronic, who has over 15 years’ experience in the market and is ‘definitely an expert when it comes to IP‘. The firm has a strong focus on the technology and creative industries, and represents several leading clients in movie production, online publishing, and advertising and marketing. This includes support on trade mark and copyright strategies, infringement proceedings and licensing agreements. Advice on the digitization of content is a particular area of strength. The Bucharest team regularly works with international colleagues on multi-jurisdictional matters.
‘Very good knowledge of the industry and diversity on the legal matters they can provide advice on. Very good teamwork within their departments that leads to a very deep understanding on how a company works, not only in theory but also in practice’
‘Very high level of professionalism. Very good knowledge of the industry, availability, capacity to explain legal matters in an understandable manner’
‘They are very professional and very knowledgeable. I have worked with them for multiple years now and every time the issues were solved on time, and especially on budget. I really appreciated them being very knowledgeable and very comprehensive in their approach. I highly recommend them.’
‘Ana Maria Andronic – very thorough and very knowledgeable; definitely an expert when it comes to IP; very professional and reliable. Corina Badiceanu – worked with her on Data Protection issues; solid explanations and very knowledgeable’.
FAMEUP (Inovatie Alia)
MC LABS SOFTWARE
- Assisted Inovatie Alia, a Romanian influencer marketing company, on intellectual property issues related to securing rights over the content created by influencers for well-known brands on the FameUp software platform.
- Assisted Nemira, a Romanian publishing house, in connection with launching an audiobook platform.
- Assisted Brainstash on its international reseller contract structure in the context of its global expansion.
The Bucharest office of Greek firm Drakopoulos has a good track record for IP advice and regularly assists clients with managing their portfolios throughout South East Europe. Practice head Adrian Roseti is a registered IP agent with strong expertise on contentious and non-contentious IP matters. The firm regularly handles trade mark infringement claims and enforcement proceedings, including the coordination of raids on counterfeit goods. Other areas of expertise include patent licensing, domain name protection and trade mark registrations.
IMPERIA & MONFERRINA
GARO & CO
- Successfully challenged several applications that included – wholly or partially – replication of Nestle’s trade mark applications.
- Undertook the management of the Romanian IP portfolio of Midea Group.
- Representing Subway on an ongoing basis, on various IP matters such as trademarks assignments, licensing formalities, maintenance and enforcement of licensing agreements.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii has good experience of trade mark, patent, and copyright matters, including those with a cross-border element. The team represents clients from across a wide range of industries, including telecoms, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and sport, and has a particularly strong focus on the software sector where it regularly assists with licensing and development agreements. The firm’s market-leading corporate team also ensures a large flow of IP-related due diligence mandates. The versatile Bogdan Stoica leads the team.
Pietta Glass Working
Passavant Energy & Environment
- Adviser to the Romanian Professional Tennis Player, Simona Halep, on all her IP related matters, including on the negotiation and execution of several endorsement agreements, including with Nike; the development of her official website; and the registration of new trade marks.
- Advising Passavant Energy & Environment before the WIPO in relation to its international application for registering a verbal trademark in multiple jurisdictions (from Europe, MENA region and Asia).
- Advising Hexagon Structures before the Romanian IP Office in relation to the registration of its trademarks’ portfolio, including legal assistance during the opposition procedures.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA has an active IP and unfair competition practice led by specialist Sorin-Eduard Pavel , an authorised patent, design and trade mark attorney. The firm has a strong stable of multinational clients which it assists on a wide range of domestic and regional contentious and non-contentious issues. Recently the firm has been involved in several high profile anti-counterfeiting programmes on behalf of clients. Further experience includes domain name disputes, trade mark infringement claims and cancellations, as well as due diligence in support of the firm’s market-leading M&A team.
Gallup International Association
Power Horse Energy Drinks
Wolters Kluwer Romania
- Advice on Romanian trademark portfolio issues for the international legal publishing house Wolters Kluwer.
- Assisting a major multinational company in a long-term, high-volume project concerning customs intervention and incidental criminal proceedings over third-party attempts to introduce counterfeit goods in Romania.
- Assisting the Austrian energy drinks producer Power Horse in trademark cancellation proceedings against the holders of the trademark GOLDEN HORSE.
STOICA & Asociatii – Attorneys at Law is extremely well regarded for its dispute resolution work, and these qualities extend to its IP offering. Clients, which include major pharmaceuticals and consumer goods companies, appreciate the ‘very technical, responsive, tenacious‘ team which ‘successfully combines a strong knowledge of the intellectual property law with a human approach‘. The firm’s expertise covers the full range of patent, copyright and trade mark disputes. Among the partners, Dragos Bogdan is praised for ‘forensically approaching each problem‘ while the ‘eloquent and convincing’ Valeriu Stoica is also extremely well regarded. Other key members include partner Andreea Micu and associate Mihai Stănescu.
Other key lawyers:
Valeriu Stoica; Andreea Micu; Mihai Stănescu
‘The team is very technical, responsive, tenacious, focused on handling the entrusted issue with creativity and strong knowledge, whilst always keeping an eye on the pragmatic outcome of their approach and being collaborative with the client.’
‘The team at Stoica & Associates successfully combines a strong knowledge of the intellectual property law with a human approach of every single matter, which makes every presentation in court genuine and trustworthy. Dragos Bogdan is forensically approaching each problem, calmly dismantling it piece by piece, making his way through the case and turning in his favor the counterpart’s arguments, whilst Professor Valeriu Stoica is mastering in an elegant manner the art of being eloquent and convincing, and delivering the legal argument so that to achieve the desired result.’
‘We are working with the team from Intellectual Property from Stoica for a while. They are top notch in this area, offering documented advice in a timely manner. Additionally, they represented us in certain IP litigation files, including preliminary injunctions.’
‘We are currently working in a very sensitive IP project with Dragos Bogdan and Mihai Stanescu. Dragos Bogdan is a highly specialized lawyer, confident and with good persuasive skills. He together with Mihai Stanescu managed to obtain for us two successful decisions.’
Mr. Ioan Dumitrescu
BRD Asset Management
The Institute for Research and Development in Beekeeping
- Representing Bayer in securing its patent rights by obtaining a preliminary injunction against an international generic medicine producer, preventing it from effectively entering the Romanian market.
- Representing the Romanian mineral water producer, Carpathian Springs, in a litigation regarding the alleged infringement of a community trademark concerning the shape of a water bottle belonging to a competitor.
- Assisting BRD Asset Management in establishing its trademark defence strategy in relation to cease and desist requests issued by a major European transport and technology corporation.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law has several experienced IP lawyers who are praised for their ‘responsiveness, flexibility and their professional approach‘. The practice is led by IP and competition specialist Ana Maria Kusak who has over 15 years’ experience in the market and particularly active on the trade mark side. Managing associate Elena Stan is also singled out for her ‘solid knowledge and track-record in IP related matters‘. Clients work across a range of sectors, including life sciences, technology, retail entertainment and fitness, and the team is also experienced in advertising-related issues. In addition to contentious proceedings, the firm advises on licensing and M&A-related due diligence.
Ana Maria Kusak
Other key lawyers:
‘Highly responsive team.’
‘The whole IP team is well prepared and has the capacity to effectively cooperate and integrate with other practice teams. What we like the most is their responsiveness, flexibility and their professional approach.’
‘During the past year I have worked with both Ana Kusak and Elena Stan. Both of them are responsive and well-prepared. Ana stands out for her coordination role, while Elena has solid knowledge and track-record in IP related matters. Both of them are positive persons spreading good energy.’
‘Attention to detail, knowledge of EU and Romanian context.’
‘Elena Stan – experienced.’
‘In terms of intellectual property knowledge, I would say they are very competitive. Our brand is locally very, very strong and there are situations on a regular base where competition or other industries tries to tag-along to get better recognition and exposure. They are defending in the best possible way.’
‘Good commitment and knowledge in this area.’
World Class Romania
Î.M. Vinăria Purcari
Dinescu Constantin Bogdan “Macanache”
Rogalski Damaschin Public Relations
Agenţia de vise
PREMIER IMOBILIAR ACTIV
- Advising the gym and fitness company, World Class Romania, on various Trademark-related issues (including trademark infringement, monitoring the trademark portfolio, blocking third parties from unlawfully using the “World Class trademarks”), copyright assignments related to the WCR App, website content, as well as dedicated software created by third parties for the client.
- Advised SelfD ID, a full-stack verifiable credential platform, in various intellectual property and data privacy matters such as IP strategy including a suitable contractual framework for employment relationships, collaboration agreements, services outsourcing as well as licensing software solutions to companies situated in the US and Canada.
- Advising the wine company, Î.M. Vinăria Purcari, on the protection of its trademark portfolio, including opposition proceedings in front of the European Union Intellectual Property Office and the Romanian Office for Inventions and Trademarks against the registration of similar trademarks.