Market-leading boutique Simion & Baciu Law Firm is particularly popular with major technology and media clients, as well as global pharmaceuticals and consumer goods companies, including such notable names as Teva and Philip Morris. Clients benefit from a broad range of expertise in IP registration and prosecution, licensing and franchising agreements, and IP rights transfers. The contentious side of the practice is equally active on anti-counterfeiting and trade mark infringement measures. Key partners include Ana-Maria Baciu, Cosmina Simion, whose ‘media background makes the exchanges as smooth as if they were embedded in the business’, and Andreea Bende. Clients also single out associate Zsofia-Judit Halmagyi for praise.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Simion & Baciu Law Firm
A law firm with an independently acclaimed approach to legal services and client service, SIMION & BACIU is an intellectual powerhouse providing the best combination of legal advice, business savvy and humanness that quickly became a reference on the Romanian business law market.View Profile...
Intellectual property in Romania
Ana-Maria Baciu; Cosmina Simion; Andreea Bende
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very motivated to address the client’s needs in a most appropriate and efficient manner, taking special consideration in maintaining a close and personal contact with the client.’
‘The team is very responsive and gives very clear advice. They know their job and it is very easy to communicate and work with them. I mainly work with female team members and they are very experienced and straightforward.’
‘The team (especially Andreea Bende and Zsofia-Judit Halmagyi) are very responsive and give very clear advice. They know their job and it is very easy to communicate and work with them. The fee quotes are very competitive and always realistic.’
‘They try to understand the business side of the project and the concrete needs of the company, so as to offer a solution as practical as possible.’
‘Simion & Baciu combines private law standards with intellectual property boutique expertise superbly. From this regard, their level of expertise exceeds any other we have come across on the market. They are knowledgeable, highly responsive, quick in their analyses, reliable and thus good value for money.’
‘Cosmina Simion’s historical media background makes the exchanges as smooth as if they were embedded in the business.’
‘Andreea Bende’s know-how on trade mark prosecution and strong handling gives us the confidence to rest assured that our trade mark portfolio is well monitored and protected. We also note the work of Zsofia-Judit Halmagyi.’
Sky International / Sky
URB Rulmenti Succeava
BTK Befrachtungs- und Transportkontor
Philip Morris International
PRO TV SRL (part of CME Group)
Bitdefender IPR Management
Maxbet Entertainment Group
TEVA Pharmaceutical Industries |TEVA Pharmaceuticals
Nooka Space Limited
Green Project / Irina Popescu
- Successfully represented Teva Pharmaceutical Industries and Teva Pharmaceuticals before the first instance court in a case challenging the validity of a Supplementary Protection Certificate issued for a medical product pertaining to a competitor, based on a previously issued basic patent.
- Advising Philip Morris on the protection of its trade mark rights against third party competitors using similar signs for identical goods on the Romanian market.
- Defending Bilka Steel against cancellation claims launched against its registered community designs.
Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii fields a 'very strong and reputed intellectual property practice'; clients come from across a broad spread of industries, including consumer goods, life sciences, sports, media, technology and engineering. The multidisciplinary team includes a six-lawyer advisory group, which is led by 'extremely diligent, responsive and enthusiastic' Ciprian Dragomir, and also includes 'excellent' managing associate Dana Blaer. Clients also benefit from a strong litigation arm, overseen by 'pragmatic and persuasive' Ioana Hrisafi with support from ‘constructive and straightforward' managing associate Mihaela Maxim.
Ciprian Dragomir; Ioana Hrisafi
Other key lawyers:
Dana Blaer; Mihaela Maxim
‘Very strong and reputed intellectual property practice, well known for the advice given in connection with the prosecution and enforcement of trade marks, patents and designs. Also strong as regards copyright and combating counterfeiting of goods. This is a diverse team with a diverse background, their lawyers regularly representing clients in a variety of IP disputes. In my view, the professionalism, the speed of service, the quality of service this team provides is just above and beyond.’
‘I strongly endorse Ciprian Dragomir. He is extremely diligent, responsive and enthusiastic and he has huge expertise in the IP field. Dana Blaer is also an excellent lawyer with significant IP knowledge. She was more than happy to put in some extra work to understand complicated topics and to provide us with solid recommendations as regards the next steps and related risks. ‘
‘Mihaela Maxim has the constructive and straightforward approach that we would always expect from our company’s legal advisers. She is efficient and always gives our cases her undivided attention. Litigation partner Ioana Hrisafi is another name on the list of highly recommended individuals. She is pragmatic and persuasive, putting forward rock solid arguments in our defence.’
‘The IP team is highly experienced and reliable, with broad experience as regards general IP advisory, but also IP-related litigation. They are successful in representing and advising clients as regards copyright infringement, anti-counterfeiting, trade mark and patent issues. In my opinion, Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii are the go-to firm for intellectual property matters.’
‘I would like to recommend Ciprian Dragomir and Dana Blaer for their IP expertise and also Ioana Hrisafi and Mihaela Maxim for their IP litigation skills. They are intelligent and tenacious, fast to act, well-prepared and solution driven.’
‘I very much appreciate in the Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii team that they are always available, provide quick feedback in case of crisis, with several lawyers (of different seniority, and different views on the matter) picking up the topics. This is of a nature to build clients’ confidence, that the best possible advice was provided, both from the legal expert’s point of view and the wider picture of business-oriented professionals.’
‘The advice is always well documented, with a practical approach, which makes it easier for the client to implement a certain measure/act in a specific way. I particularly appreciated Dana Blaer’s dedicated attitude, and Ciprian Dragomir’s direct involvement in the cases he supervises.’
‘The individuals I worked with were confident and well informed about their tasks.’
Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
Creative Media Development
Romanian Football Federation
The Estée Lauder Companies
- Advising Ivatherm, a Romanian cosmetics brand, on various IP brand protection matters arising from the client’s operations in Romania and Europe.
- Advising on a wide range of IP and litigation issues regarding the George Enescu International Festival and Musical Contest.
- Assisting Carrefour Romania with various IP-related issues affecting its operations on the Romanian retail market, including handling several alleged trade mark and design counterfeit cases.
Buzescu Ca represents a notable selection of major brand name consumer goods and cosmetics giants, including ‘L’Oréal, in addition to major engineering, manufacturing and pharmaceuticals companies. The team is equally at home with day-to-day IP portfolio management as with high-profile IP litigations, and also supplies bespoke transactional support on M&A and licensing deals. Adrian Tomescu leads the well regarded team, which also benefits from the expertise of founding partner Peter Buzescu and recommended associate Corina Papuzu.
Other key lawyers:
Corina Papuzu; Peter Buzescu
Vázquez Aldana, Hernández Gómez & Asociados
- Successfully assisted L’Oréal with the filing of legal actions for the cancellation of certain trade marks.
- Represented Finastra in litigation started by a former employee in relation to the development of software concerning the payroll data management system.
- Represented FKP Sojuzplodoimport in multiple litigation cases in Romania concerning the international trade marks for Stolichnaya Russian Vodka and Moskovskaya Russian Vodka.
MILCEV BURBEA Intellectual Property & Law Office
MILCEV BURBEA Intellectual Property & Law Office is a well regarded IP boutique with a diverse portfolio of clients, including key players from the consumer goods sector and luxury brands - such as Rolex - as well as major names from the media, pharmaceuticals, tecnology and financial services industries. The firm handles trade mark, copyright, design and patent matters, including prosecution and enforcement mandates; these range from registrations, to customs enforcement and anti-couterfeiting measures, with the team’s litigation mandates often reaching the highest courts. Iulia Burbea has a strong focus on the IP litigation side, while Gabriela Milcev often handles portfolio management. Veronica Floroiu also advises on trade mark and copyright protection.
Iulia Burbea; Gabriela Milcev
Other key lawyers:
Mip Metro Group
Total Soft S.A.
Banca Transilvania S.A.
Romaqua Group S.A.
Sun Wave Pharma
Asociation „Fotbal Club Rapid Bucuresti”
Sun Stars & Sons
Yoox Net-A-Porter Group
Nomad Skybar S.R.L.
- Advising robotic automation software company UiPath on its IP portfolio management.
- Advising the restaurant Nomad Skybar on its national IP strategy, including trade mark protection.
- Representing Rolex in a campaign against various companies which were using trade names that were free-riding the client’s brand.
Musat & Asociatii is helmed by versatile practice head Paul George Buta, who provides strong contentious and non-contentious expertise, and is ‘a very good strategist in litigation and negotiations'. Several global brands, including Deutsche Telekom and the Walt Disney Company, instruct the firm on a range of patent, trade mark and copyright issues; the group's client roster also includes a breadth of clients operating in the chemicals, pharmaceuticals and technology industries. Other key team members include Dan Minoiu and associate Julieta Sfeclă, who is ‘can anticipate market moves‘.
Paul George Buta
Other key lawyers:
Dan Minoiu; Julieta Sfeclă
‘The only team I know which is fully integrated (IP, litigation, competition law, criminal law) and has everything that you could need ready on hand. Most accurate and complete analysis.’
‘Paul George Buta provides a very wide perspective on all possible risks and opportunities in IP and other areas. He is a very good strategist in litigation and negotiations and anticipates everyting that could happen.’
‘Julieta Sfeclă is very attentive and responsive and can anticipate market moves.’
‘Their team is professional, friendly and has plenty of experience in the IP field. Their deliverables are of excellent quality and on time.’
‘Interacting with their people is easygoing, nevertheless they are very professional. Always available when you need them. I have worked particularly well with Paul George Buta, Julieta Sfeclă and Dan Minoiu.’
CDK Global (Finland)
The Walt Disney Company
- Assisting with Deutsche Telekom’s trade mark portfolio management in Romania.
- Representing CDK Global, a major producer of fleet management software, in trade mark and copyright infringement proceedings against its former licensee.
- Representing the Romanian branch of Save The Children in litigation against a local association with an identical name.
For RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA, IP litigation features prominently on the roster, and the team has recently taken on several significant cases in the media and entertainment sectors concerning online piracy. Of counsel Lucian Mihai has also developed a strong track record for patent disputes in the pharmaceuticals sector. Other key team members include litigation specialist Valentin Berea, and managing associate Andrada Rusan, who is singled out as ‘a strong IP litigator with impressive capabilities in the field of trade marks and copyright‘.
Lucian Mihai; Valentin Berea
Other key lawyers:
‘Knowing that I am working with a team that is equipped to provide expertise in a wide range of specialised sectors offers me and my clients more comfort. I particularly value their legal experience and ability to coordinate a practical strategy in court disputes and pursue it until a favorable outcome is obtained.’
‘Every member of their intellectual property team is knowledgeable about organisational structures and takes corporate policies into account when evaluating potential solutions for clients and balancing their needs. In addition, whenever we worked with RTPR, I always felt like I was working with people who paid attention to detail and who took great care and dedication in their professional conduct.’
‘They provide valuable and practical advice on the whole range of IP matters: contentious and non-contentious aspects of trade marks, patents, acquisition of IP rights, licensing agreements, and more. Well versed in both advisory and litigation, the team has the legal expertise, industry knowledge, and depth to deliver significant results in cases regulated by the national and European legal framework.’
‘I have mainly worked with Andrada Rusan who is an outstanding lawyer. She is a strong IP litigator with impressive capabilities in the field of trade marks and copyright. Andrada exemplifies creativity and rigour and does not hesitate to look for an innovative solution when one is needed. She works on projects with calm, speed, and exceptional skill.’
Motion Pictures Association of America
MGI International Sale
- Representing Lidl Discount in a dispute with Vel Pitar, a major bread producer in Romania and holder of a portfolio of trade marks containing wholewheat, relating to the use of wholewheat on bread packaging.
- Representing Deroni, a manufacturer and distributor of eco-friendly canned vegetables and fruit, in a series of IP disputes for the protection of its trade mark and trade name against a major competitor in Romania.
- Advising Alpha Bank on the registration and maintenance of its entire trade mark portfolio.
The IP team at Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners is praised by one client as ‘the utmost that one can get in IP litigation'; the firm represents a broad range of brand and patent owners in the full range of contentious IP matters, including antipiracy and counterfeiting, industrial design and copyright infringements, and domain name disputes. IP litigation head Alina Tugearu is recommended as ‘one of the best professionals on the market‘, and combines with ‘visionary‘ practitioner Cosmin Vasile to ‘make the best team‘.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been impressed from the outset by the firm’s strategic vision, which has set the difference in terms of approach in all pending projects. ZRVP has always been a very commited and close partner with excellent results and flexible billing policies.’
‘We have worked closely with Alina Tugearu on some sensitive IP matters, and she has guided us in taking the best decisions, with the aid of a highly specialised IP team.’
‘ZRVP’s IP team is the utmost that one can get in IP litigation, as their incredible experience in dispute resolution, combined with excellent grasp of the IP domain, always finds the best solutions in a dispute. They have handled the most complex and intricate patent matters for us with complete success.’
‘Alina Tugearu and Cosmin Vasile make the best team – Cosmin is the visionary setting the strategy and Alina has the knowledge, the passion, the determination and the advocacy skills to get to the end result.’
‘Good, best and wise. I ‘ve been working with ZRVP for more than 12 years now for several cases, all of them handled properly. The quality of the solutions was very good, and they were able to solve our last cases in a very elegant manner, in a direct negotiation.’
‘Understanding the various fields of activity means a lot, and understanding the general context when analysing a case is very important. For this I highly recommend Alina Tugearu as being one of the best professionals on the market.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme Corporation
Cabinet M. Oproiu, European Patent and Trademark Attorneys
Network One Distribution
Rovere Mobili/Philosophy Design
Propaganda Creative Services
- Representing Merck Sharp & Dohme Corporation in three patent cases before the Bucharest Tribunal filed by generic companies Teva, Egis and KrKa against the client.
- Successfully represented OMV Petrom against a damages claim filed by the heir of Ion Basgan, a Romanian engineer and inventor, for the alleged abusive exploitation, during the communist regime, of two patents related to the oil drilling industry.
- Successfully represented Boromir Ind in a dispute stemming from the infringement of its intellectual property rights over the slogan ÎMPARTE BUCURII, used in promotional campaigns for its pastry and bread products.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has a longstanding reputation for providing advice to established technology companies and start-ups, and this naturally feeds into a broader IP offering. The firm handles the full spread of advisory and litigation matters, and is regularly instructed by major clients such as Google. IP portfolio management, domain name protection, privacy and data protection, and licensing advice are all mainstays of the practice. Managing partner Catalin Grigorescu leads the IP and TMT practice, with strong support from associate Andreea Botez.
Other key lawyers:
Smart ID Dynamics
Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
BCR Private Pensions
Footprints For Retail
- Advising Google in Romania on all matters relating to product compliance and IP.
- Advising Google on the implementation of its Extended News Preview project in the context of Romania’s recent transposition of the EU Copyright Directive, including creating a database with all the eligible publishers.
- Advised venture capital fund Draper Esprit on its Series B lead investment in FintechOS, including a due diligence analysis of the target company focusing on IP matters.
DLA Piper Dinu SCA
DLA Piper Dinu SCA is well connected to the TMT industry, and is regularly used by Romanian technology growth companies and start-ups on their IP matters. The firm actively advises on IP licensing agreements and day-to-day portfolio management, including broader trade mark and copyright strategies and IP due diligence for investors, as well as acting in contentious enforcement proceedings. The firm’s international network is regularly utilised for cross-border IP management and enforcement. Counsel and practice head Ana-Maria Andronic has over 15 years’ market experience.
Fameup (Inovatie Alia)
- Advising Brainstash on all its legal matters, both local and international.
- Assisting Bright Spaces with the registration of a UK trade mark portfolio.
- Advising Fameup (Inovatie Alia) on tailoring its intellectual property legal framework, including drafting commercial contracts with influencers, brands and the general terms and conditions of the website and software.
Drakopoulos is a Greek firm whose Bucharest office has a particularly strong focus on IP matters, including trade mark registration and protection, anticounterfeiting measures, patent licensing, and domain name protection. The firm’s offering stretches across South Eastern Europe, with clients ranging from established multinational brands such as Subway and Nestlé, through to technology and software companies and start-ups. Romania-based partner Adrian Roseti has strong experience of contentious proceedings and related customs seizures.
- Successfully challenged several applications that included – wholly or partially – replication of Nestle’s trade mark applications.
- Advising Subway on an ongoing basis on various IP matters, including trade marks registrations, licensing formalities, maintenance and enforcement of licensing agreements.
- Advising COFCO on its IP portfolio management and maintenance in Romania.
IP mandates form a key part of Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen‘s wider commercial offering. The firm is typically instructed by clients from key industries, including pharmaceuticals, software, consumer goods, media, automotive and fashion, to advice on day-to-day portfolio management issues, in addition to providing M&A support, and assisting with IP licensing and franchising. The team also has a strong track record on the contentious side, and recently handled a significant trade mark opposition on behalf of a major telecoms client. Managing associate Florina Firaru leads the team following the departure of Magda Popescu to establish her own firm. Senior associate Alina Tace is another key contact.
Other key lawyers:
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii is noted for its ‘very specialised expertise and aptitude to do world-class legal work‘. The firm handles a wide range of trade mark, patent and copyright issues, and has developed a strong niche within the sports sector, where it assists the Romanian tennis player Simona Halep and the former footballer Gheorghe Hagi with image rights and other related issues. The firm has also been active on cases in the technology, life sciences, and telecoms sectors. Bogdan C. Stoica oversees the offering.
‘Due to the fact that I worked solely with Bogdan Stoica, I can say that as a client I was impressed by how fast and efficiently him and his team work. I wanted to work with Bogdan knowing that this firm is the best in Romania. The quality of the work and the proficiency that his team possessed is unequalled.’
‘What this team really has is its very specialised expertise and aptitude to do world-class legal work. The team is a true multidisciplinary collaboration, more than the sum of the participating individuals’ knowledge.’
Romanian Cycling Federation
Passavant Energy & Environment
- Defending the IP rights of Orange Romania before the national IP Office in relation to the YOXO trade mark against the YOOX Net-a-Porter Group mark.
- Representing Hexagon Structures in a trade mark dispute with Hexagon.
- Advising Romanian professional tennis player, Simona Halep, on all her IP-related matters, including on the negotiation and execution of several endorsement agreements, including with Nike; the development of her official website; and the registration of new trade marks.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA advises a broad mix of domestic and multinational clients, and the Bucharest team forms a core part of the firm's broader offering throughout the CEE region. The comprehensive practice handles the full spread of IP protection, marketing and management, and works closely with the corporate department on related transactional matters. Practice head Sorin-Eduard Pavel is an authorised patent, design and trade mark attorney who ‘can explain complex issues in a way that is easy to understand‘.
‘Schoenherr helps us to protect our software products and to register our new trade marks. They advise us during patenting processes by offering us the best alternatives to bring our product to the market. Their expertise covers all intellectual property rights offering quality and care for detail in a highly competitive market.’
‘Sorin-Eduard Pavel is very knowledgeable on trade marks and can explain complex issues in a way that is easy to understand. We really appreciate the great research he did to identify the potential legal issues of our trade mark and what we should do to avoid them. He also advised us in relation to an intellectual property dispute by exploring the alternatives and assisted us to come out on the best terms possible.’
Power Horse Energy Drinks
Gallup International Association
Wolters Kluwer Romania
- Advising Wolters Kluwer on the management of the company’s trade mark portfolio in Romania.
STOICA & Asociatii – Attorneys at Law is well regarded particularly for contentious matters, although the firm also assists clients with a wide range of advisory patent, copyright, trade mark and industrial design issues, as well as acting in cancellation and infringement claims. Clients benefit from the expertise of the ‘reputable‘ Valeriu Stoica, who combines with Dragoș Bogdan and senior associate Mihai Stănescu to offer a ‘strategic approach to the legal issues, which are carefully analysed to best serve the client’s interests‘.
Other key lawyers:
Valeriu Stoica; Mihai Stănescu
‘Reliability, trust and initiative. Working with Stoica & Associatii gives you the guarantee that the matter will be handled in the best manner.’
‘The strength and persuasion ot the court stage of the reputable Valeriu Stoica and his team ( I name here Dragoș Bogdan and Mihai Stănescu) combine happily with their strategic approach to the legal issues, which are carefully analysed to best serve the client’s interests.’
- Assisting Bayer with securing its patent rights by obtaining a preliminary injunction against an international generic medicine producer, preventing it from effectively entering the Romanian market.
- Representing the Romanian mineral water producer, Carpathian Springs, in litigation regarding the alleged infringement of a community trade mark concerning the shape of a water bottle belonging to a competitor.
- Representing Icom Oil, a Romanian petroleum, fuel and oil products trader, in litigation against the holder of the trade mark Icom oil.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law's cross-practice group guides clients through all stages of the IP journey, from day-to-day portfolio management, through to M&A-related corporate support and contentious infringement claims. In addition to technology start-ups, the firm assists various clients in the retail, advertising, media, and health and fitness industries. Practice head Ana Maria Kusak is ably supported by managing associate Elena Stan, who is singled out as 'a practical lawyer with excellent knowledge in the IP field‘.
Ana Maria Kusak
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely friendly and responsive – a pleasure working with them!’
‘Stratulat Albulescu was our first choice when we needed a law firm for IP and trade mark-related topics, both based on the good relationship that we’ve developed in the last years but also because of the proven capacity of the team to represent us in a timely manner, while always obtaining good results.’
‘I have worked directly with Elena Stan and her team and we are thankful for a very smooth process. After we’ve set a few introductory calls to discuss about the results we wanted to obtain, the Stratulat team has given a structured approach, with minimum and efficient interactions and managed to reflect the relevant and important information in the final documents.’
‘The team has vast experience in all areas needed for start-ups. We used their services and guidance for a seed investment round and we are extremely happy with the results, as we feel confident we are protected.’
‘Elena Stan – helped us sort everything we needed.’
‘Highly experienced attorneys who are extremely knowledgeable in their field. It has been a pleasure to work with their team.’
‘Over the past several years we worked closely with Ana Maria Kusak and Elena Stan. I can definitely say that working with Ana for so many years says a lot about our professional relationship and that I really appreciate her for all her exceptional professional qualities.’
‘It is my opinion that Ana Maria Kusak’s main strengths are the following: she is an excellent lawyer, very easy to deal with, client-oriented and always there to help you. Elena Stan always delivers very strong advice, being a practical lawyer with excellent knowledge in the IP field.’
World Class Romania
Î.M. Vinăria Purcari
Rogalski Damaschin Public Relations
Cordia Corarilor Development
- Advising the wine company, Î.M. Vinăria Purcari, on the protection of its trade mark portfolio, including acting in opposition proceedings in front of the European Union Intellectual Property Office and the Romanian Office for Inventions and Trademarks.
- Representing Titluri Quality, which owns a large trade mark portfolio, in a significant trade mark dispute.
- Advising Sound Feed with regard to copyright matters, including assisting with revision of the licensing, distribution and marketing agreements to be managed through the platform.