Tuca Zbârcea & Asociatii has a first-class IP practice, capable of handling the full spectrum of related matters. The standalone team fields an impressive collection of certified IP counsel, including patent attorneys. The team's work spans trade mark, copyright and patent registrations, disputes and infringement claims, franchising agreements and critical support on major transactions in IP-heavy industries such as technology, manufacturing and telecoms. Ciprian Dragomir leads the advisory side of the practice, while Ioana Hrisafi manages the litigation function. The team has several well regarded associates, including Bogdan Halcu, Dana Blaer and Sergiu Cretu.
Intellectual property in Romania
Ciprian Dragomir; Ioana Hrisafi
Other key lawyers:
Bogdan Halcu; Dana Blaer; Sergiu Cretu
‘We have been working with this law firm for the past few years and they haven’t let us down, proving their professionalism and fiery passion for law on a daily basis. They are everything we wanted in a law firm and more – integrity, professionalism, good communication skills, good judgement, perseverance and knowledgeable.’
‘A reliable and qualified firm, especially in the field of geographical indications.’
‘This law firm has been of tremendous help to us throughout these years, providing counselling on the full range of legal issues. They even represented us in court in a trademark infringement case. I personally believe this team is one of the best in the market and, irrespective of the legal matter we asked them to handle for us, they constantly lived up to our expectations. Their IP lawyers are well-versed attorneys, with the background and experience of a large firm and so they are able to bring a breath of capabilities to well serve their clients on a personalized level.’
‘Tuca Zbarcea law office is definitely delivering to the highest standards and this, combined with their exceptional business approach, makes them market leaders.’
‘Ciprian Dragomir – In our view, he is a super IP lawyer, one of the best in the market. Our experience with him as regards IP has been nothing short of professional and amazing.’
‘Bogdan Halcu – a brilliant lawyer truly dedicated to his profession. I’m impressed with the breadth of his knowledge, the level of care, attention, and professionalism in all he does.’
‘Dana Blaer is very hardworking, responsive and professional. A real team player and very dedicated to her clients.’
‘Sergiu Cretu is a young practitioner, who has amassed considerable experience in dealing with various IP and data privacy issues. I like that he is always proactive and straightforward, inspiring confidence and professionalism.’
Untold SRL, organiser of the “Untold Festival” and Neversea SRL, organiser of the “Neversea Festival”
Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
Atlassib SA and Transmixt SA
Romanian Football Federation
Telekom Romania and Telekom Romania Mobile
Clever Media Network
- Advising Vodafone Group Plc on IP related issues linked to the client’s acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in several European countries, including Romania for an enterprise value of €18.4 billion.
- Day-to-day legal assistance to Carrefour Romania in relation to various intellectual property related issues affecting its operations on the Romanian retail market, including several alleged trademark and design counterfeit cases and in relation to the infringement of the rights related to a non-registered Community Design.
- Advising and representing Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne in several cases where Romanian Customs have seized several transports of sparkling wines from the Republic of Moldova, allegedly intended to be released for consumption in jurisdictions where the “Champagne” PDO does not enjoy protection.
Buzescu Ca is a popular choice for global and domestic clients from across a variety of sectors, including technology, IT, pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, and energy. The team typically handles complex trade mark, patent and copyright issues, including infringement claims, anti-counterfeiting, IP transfers, filings, and franchising agreements. Practice head Adrian Tomescu is highly experienced on strategic matters. Clients also benefit from the expertise of Peter Buzescu and highly rated associate Corina Papuzu.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Buzescu; Corina Papuzu
‘The team are extremely practical and offer hands on advice. They are very efficient and turn around the work very quickly. Their advice is easily understood sand simple for us to implement. Given that we are a UK company they ensure that we have considered all implications of our actions so that we have a full picture of the legal options.’
‘Corina Papuzu’s advice is to the point and she provides it with great efficiency.’
GESTION DE INVERSIONES CAROMA, S.L.
ELECTRICA FURNIZARE S.A.
- Represented Alvogen, and its Romanian subsidiary, in several complex court cases concerning alleged patent infringements, a motion to suspend the approved price of a generic drug, and a bid to contest the public procurement award for the generic drug.
- Advised Facebook on the validity of an intellectual property transfer agreement and the transfer of the IP rights of an employee’s work.
- Advised the global cosmetics company L’Oreal, on filing legal actions to cancel two trademarks based on its previously registered AZZARO trademarks.
Musat & Asociatii has a substantial IP practice covering a variety of disciplines within the space. Practice head Paul George Buta has over 15 years experience in the market, and his expertise in areas of administrative law, including competition and antitrust, is demonstrative of the firm's multi-disciplinary approach. The team collaborates regularly with the firm's corporate and disputes team to ensure a broad range of expertise. In addition, the firm features certified IP attorneys with strong specialisms in contentious and non-contentious trade mark, copyright and patent law. Clients single out associate Julieta Sfeclă for praise.
Paul George Buta
Other key lawyers:
The team handled a very complex, cross-border project that needed specialized input on EU, IP and competition law. What is unique about them is that you get this blend of specialized advice in one department so both efficiency and professionalism is very high.’
‘The practice is different from other law firms I met, as this firm (renowned as being a school of lawyers) is training its lawyers in providing excellent advice in many areas of practice, which is very valuable because in this manner the lawyers handling a case can have an overview of the case from multiple perspectives. ‘
‘Paul Buta is an excellent strategist with deep knowledge of IP, EU and competition law and a very good negotiator. He is a top lawyer that should be recommended to all clients that need innovative and professional advice.’
‘Julieta Sfecla is a very practical person with great knowledge of the Romanian and EU regulations in the IP field and she dedicates a great time in explaining the legal framework to her clients so that they understand the implications of each of their actions.’
DEUTSCHE TELEKOM AG
CDK GLOBAL (FINLAND) OY
SAVE THE CHILDREN ORGANIZATION
Private individual – successor of the renown Romanian writer Mircea Eliade
- Acting as portfolio manager for the trademarks of Deutsche Telekom AG in Romania.
- Advising the Romanian branch of Save The Children Organization, including contentious matters concerning the infringement of its exclusive trademark rights.
- Represented the heir of the renowned Romanian writer Mircea Eliade to prevent losing the rights to late writer’s works, by obtaining in only one day a judgment prohibiting the sale of the respective works.
RTPR | Radu Taracila Padurari Retevoescu SCA has a wide-ranging IP department with several high profile practitioners. Among these, of counsel Lucian Mihai, is a long-standing expert on Romanian IP issues, while litigator Valentin Berea has an enviable track record representing clients on copyright and trade mark disputes. The firm is especially strong in the media space, representing major studios and TV broadcasters. The department also has good experience of patent infringement claims.
Lucian Mihai; Valentin Berea
‘RTPR has an experienced litigation team with an excellent knowledge of copyright. The expertise of Professor Dr. Lucian Mihai makes RTPR a first choice in copyright and other IP matters. ’
‘Professor Dr. Lucian Mihai – reputable professor and excellent lawyer who can easily navigate you through complex IP litigation. He is definitely the no. 1 choice in IP matters, be it legal opinions or litigation.
‘Valentin Berea – is a flexible and experienced lawyer who has the ability to provide practical solutions and clear advice. ’
Bookster (Development Consulting SRL)
British American Tobacco
Paramount Pictures Corporation
Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.
Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
Universal City Studios Productions LLLP
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
- Representing Deroni Ltd., a large food products producer, on a series of IP disputes for the protection of its trademark “Deroni” in Romania.
- Representing Bayer in a patent infringement litigation to protect its European patent for a pharmaceutical formula.
- Advised Focus Sat, a satellite television company, on the broadcasting rights and IP rights relating to its right to provide to its provision of UEFA Champions League, Europa League, Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga and Romanian League 1 football matches and other sports events.
Formed in 2019, Simion & Baciu Law Firm is an impressive boutique that has made strong headway into the market. Name partners Ana-Maria Baciu and Cosmina Simion had already established themselves as leading market figures, and retain a strong following among clients across various industries, including retail, life sciences, software, automotive, e-commerce, and consumer goods. The firm's work includes anti-counterfeiting procedures, infringement claims, as well as day-to-day strategic and commercialised IP advice and portfolio management. Fellow partner Andreea Bende is also well regarded.
Ana-Maria Baciu; Cosmina Maria Simion; Andreea Bende
‘Clear advice, proactive advice with supporting attitude. Flexible and available to find solutions.’
‘Excellent local market knowledge and incomparable experience in IP and gambling.’
‘The team settled in very quickly in their new set-up and I am happy for them. They know a lot about IP, but also about the gaming industry. Good solutions for every IP problem.’
‘Ana-Maria Baciu is absolutely amazing: she has great knowledge, very good business understanding, solution oriented, high ethic standards and much more. She is definitely the best in this field.’
‘Andreea Bende is a young talented partner who is always responsive and understands exactly the client’s needs. I entrusted her with cases for my most important client.’
LIBRA INTERNET BANK SA
MAXBET ENTERTAINMENT GROUP
SKY INTERNATIONAL AG
PHILIP MORRIS INTERNATIONAL
HEINEKEN ROMANIA SA
BITDEFENDER IPR MANAGEMENT LTD.
BRAND EMOTION SRL
LAGARDERE TRAVEL RETAIL SRL (PART OF LAGARDERE GROUP)
ENGIE ROMANIA SA (PART OF ENGIE GROUP)
FRENCH REVOLUTION SRL
ARSIA PRODUCTIONS SRL
SEKISUI ALVEO AG
MORODAN SHOP SRL
BET ACTIVE CONCEPT SRL (PART OF FORTUNA GROUP)
- Assisting AB SKF in connection with a major customs seizure of counterfeited ball bearings affixed with the SKF trademark and logo.
- Assisting Sky International AG in connection with a trademark infringement and unfair competition claim launched in 2017 against several infringers. The action seeks a pan-European injunction.
- Advising Bilka Steel in securing its design rights in Romania and in the EU, by responding to opposition procedures as well as a cancellation claim brought by one of its direct market competitors.
Zamfirescu Racoti Vasile & Partners is an extremely popular choice, particularly for contentious IP matters. The firm has a leading patent litigation operation that is regularly instructed on high-profile claims across a range of sectors, including life sciences, healthcare, manufacturing, energy, and food and drinks. The team also regularly handles trade mark infringement claims, while on the copyright front it has close links to the music and media industry. Practice head Alina Tugearu comes highly recommended, while name partners such as litigators Cosmin Vasile and Calin-Andrei Zamfirescu are often brought in on high profile issues.
‘ZRVP has always been our go-to law partnership for any sensitive disputes that we wanted to handle externally, when we were in need of the best IP lawyers. And they have proven that they are the best every time without exception. It is a combination of the perfect grasp of the law and practice with a business sense and a strategic vision that seems to give such excellent results.’
‘They are truly professionals, very well prepared, business savvy and very dedicated to the client, we have been very happy to having them on our side.’
‘Very good practices, senior expertise and also solid professional approach of few delicate projects. I was impressed about the strategic approach of the project, good documentation of the case and – that is very important – the solutions on the table and also the implementation process.’
‘They have a very friendly approach in dealing with clients and I have always felt treated more than correctly, fees included.’
‘We work with partners Cosmin Vasile and Alina Tugearu. Cosmin is a strategy guru, he has always found the best solutions for us and has implemented very smartly and efficiently. Alina completes the team with the dedication and consideration to the details that make the difference, at the same time having excellent advocacy skills which have killed in court. We are happy to have them by our side, they make us feel protected.’
‘Alina Tugearu is the best, she has helped us through the most sensitive of issues very prompt and dedicated.’
‘Calin Zamfirescu was called in when his experience and reputation was required to tip the balance in our favor and it has always worked.’
Dassault Systemes France
Cabinet M. Oproiu, European Patent and Trademark Attorneys
The Union of Romanian Composers and Musicologists
Network One Distribution
Nova Tech Integrated Solutions
- Defended OMV Petrom against a damages claim filed by the heir of Ion Basgan, a Romanian engineer and inventor, famous for the discovery of the effect that bears his name (“the Basgan effect”), for the alleged abusive exploitation, during the communist regime, of two patents related to the oil drilling industry.
- Advising Dassault Systemes France on the unauthorised use of its Catia software in Romania and the related infringement of its IP rights.
- Advised Network One Distribution, a major electronics distributor in Romania, in an infringement claim against a local competitor that registered an almost identical trademark.
bpv Grigorescu Stefanica has a long-standing track record advising clients on complex IP issues. The firm's strong TMT client base ensures a steady flow of high-end IP issues, including filings, infringement claims, and broader strategic protection advice on how best to use and exploit their IP within Romania and the wider region. This includes support on cross-border transactions as well as advice on national and community-protected status. Anca Albulescu leads the experienced team, which includes specialist managing associate Cristina Randjak.
Other key lawyers:
WBV Weisenburger Bau + Verwaltung GmbH
MLS Invest Trading
- Advised Google on obligations and requirements under Romanian law, including from a data protection and intellectual property law perspective.
- Successfully represented Mondialacqua whose majority shareholder is the American group Culligan Water, in a dispute against a competitor who registered, in 2012, a utility model for a public water fountain with technical characteristics similar to a Mondialacqua`s product.
- Successfully represented the owner of Ready to Box Chopstix brand, a supplier of Asian traditional and modern cuisine, regarding the protection of national and community trademarks.
CMS has a broad practice with good expertise in IP litigation, trade mark registrations and related strategic advice. The firm's strong regional presence gives it an edge for major international clients with cross-border IP issues, including many in IP-heavy industries such as TMT, life sciences and consumer goods. The firm was recently involved in several significant enforcement proceedings and is active on the data protection side. Several of the firm's top litigators have good experience, including Horia Draghici, and the team includes several specialised senior associates, including Valentina Parvu.
Horia Draghici; Valentina Parvu
Radio Max Romania
Express Install Distribution
Romanian Business Consult (RBC)
- Advised a top multinational professional services company on a highly complex outsourcing deal.
- Advised a leading rice producer on defending its trademark rights before the Romanian State Office for Patents and Trademarks (OSIM) and assisting with fighting the counterfeit of their products in Romania and other European countries.
- Advised one of the biggest companies in the global chocolate and confectionery market on defending its trademark rights before the Romanian State Office for Patents and Trademarks (OSIM).
DLA Piper Dinu SCA's IP team regularly handles a broad portfolio of matters. The firm is especially strong representing clients in the technology, telecoms and e-commerce sectors, including several start-ups in the fintech sector. The team also provides good support to the corporate team, including on IP transfers in major M&As and restructurings. The firm's international network gives it a significant edge on such cross-border mandates, particularly for clients requiring a regional strategy. Practice head and former judge Ana-Maria Andronic comes highly recommended by clients.
‘Recommended for their dedication to finding the best solution and the comprehensiveness of the analysis. Ana Maria Andronic is a very nice person and a pleasure to work with.’
NETOPIA INVESTMENTS SRL
SEEDBLINK CROWDFUNDING SRL
ROAD GRAND TOURS INC.
GEMINI SOLUTIONS SRL
BRIGHT SPACES SRL
SIMARTIS TELECOM SRL
- Assisted Netopia in relation to all its IP assets in the context of its group restructuring and the cross-border transfer of intangibles.
- Advised Seedblink on establishing Romania’s first online crowdfunding platform and related IP issues.
- Advised Ringhel on the negotiation of a complex software licensing transaction with a business partner in the energy sector.
The Bucharest branch of the Greek firm Drakopoulos has a strong reputation for helping international and domestic clients on IP portfolio management issues. Trade mark registrations, protection and anti-counterfeiting strategies feature high on the agenda. The firm also advises on infringement claims, patent licensing and domain name protection. Clients come from across various sectors, including consumer goods, software, life sciences and retail. Well-regarded practice head Adrian Roseti is a registered IP agent.
‘Effective and efficient advice, with accurate cost estimates and work completed well and on time. Accurate advice, with timely and courteous reporting.’
‘Adrian Roseti has helped us with opposition and cancellation work in Romania on behalf of our client. He has provided effective and efficient advice, with accurate cost estimates and work completed well and on time. He has advised accurately, acted as promised and instructed and won for our client in all matters. He has been timely and courteous with his reporting and responses. We will continue to use Adrian for Romanian matters and would recommend him to others looking to act in this area.’
- Advised Nestle in a trademark infringement case against Rommac.
- Assisted Epic Games in initiating legal action against various companies selling counterfeit products.
- Advising Subway on an ongoing basis on various IP matters, such as trademarks assignments, licensing formalities, maintenance and enforcement of the licensing agreements.
MILCEV BURBEA Intellectual Property & Law Office is a well regarded boutique in IP prosecution and protection. The firm regularly represents clients in patent, trade mark and copyright infringement claims, and assists numerous high-profile luxury brands on anti-counterfeiting measures. IP portfolio management is also a key area of work, and the team provides strong domestic and international support on registrations and strategic issues. Name partners Gabriela Milcev and Iulia Burbea have versatile practices, with good expertise in contentious and non-contentious matters. Clients also rate associates such as Veronica Floroiu and Florina Enache.
Gabriela Milcev; Iulia Burbea
Other key lawyers:
Veronica Floriou; Florina Enache
‘Milcev Burbea is the go-to IP firm in Romania. They confidently handle any trademark prosecution and enforcement matters whether for Romania or for the EU at a great value.’
‘Milcev Burbea is a law practice with a homogenous team of highly qualified attorneys in Intellectual Property Law. The team of attorneys provide high quality advice and thorough representation in court, that always helped us in our activity.’
‘Every matter handed over to this office is treated with high importance, and all matters are analyzed and handled by a team of attorneys, and not individually. This type of approach is very reassuring for us, as it always turned our to be beneficial to have more than one opinion and more than one strategy / solution to each issue. ‘
‘Gabriela Milcev is a highly qualified professional in the Intellectual Property Law field and always brought satisfaction in the disputes she, together with her team of professionals, assisted us and our clients. The high success rate in such disputes and also her capacity to resolve disputes through negotiations and mediation procedures make her one of the best in this field, in our opinion. Another essential quality we highly appreciate is her willingness to personally deal with the cases handed over, regardless of her seniority.’
‘Both named partners are highly involved in all aspects of the firm and are excellent lawyers in their own right; however, much of the day to day communications are capably left to the associates. I have worked with Veronica Floriou on a number of matters and she communicates clearly and completely. Recently, I have worked with Florina Enache and found her to similarly communicate clearly and completely. ‘
MIP METRO GROUP
TOTAL SOFT S.A.
MEDIASHOP HOLDING GMBH
ASOCIATION FOTBALL CLUB RAPID BUCUREȘTI
IRIS – Cristi Minculescu, Valter& Boro (Iris music band)
SUN STARS & SONS
- Assisting Uipath on the worldwide registration of its trademarks, reaching more than three hundredapplications and registrations.
- Representing Rolex in numerous criminal cases started in Romania concerning the sale of counterfeit Rolex watches, including representations before the Police/Customs Authorities and in front of the Courts.
- Contentious support to MIP Metro Group on the protection of its trademarks “METRO”, “LA DOI PASI” and “REAL”.
Nestor Nestor Diculescu Kingston Petersen has a specialised IP practice led by well-regarded senior associate Alina Tace. The department manages trade mark portfolios for an impressive range of domestic and international clients in the media, automotive, consumer goods and IT sectors. As well as providing strategic support on day-to-day commercial IP issues, including registrations and licensing matters, the practice works closely with colleagues in the disputes team to handle contentious infringement claims.
Alina Tace (formerly Dumitru)
‘The team was fully involved in every project, providing high professionalism, qualification, understanding of our needs and excellent technical skills.’
‘Even in tough situations, this team has managed not only to identify multiple solutions but also to direct our firm in choosing the most appropriate one, on a case by case basis.’
‘Very knowledgeable and proactive IP practice which makes this firm a standout.’
‘Alina Tace is a standout in the IP field. She adopts a proactive, skilled and collaborative approach to IP to ensure the best outcome for clients. Her technical knowledge, solutions oriented approach and strong engagement with clients is particularly noteworthy.’
Electronic Arts Inc.
Grab Holdings Inc.
Engie Romania (formerly GDF Suez)
Pro TV SRL
Smithfield Romania SRL
World Wildlife Fund/Allens
House of Cosmetics ApS
Copenhagen Care Brands ApS
Day Group/Day Assets Management SRL
Nala Cosmetics SRL
Bluehouse Capital Advisors Limited
- Advising Engie on IP matters, including the administration and prosecution of the company’s entire trademark portfolio.
- Assisted Grab with all Romanian IP aspects related to its strategic partnership and transaction with Telenav Inc., a provider of connected-car and location-based services.
- Advising Pro TV on various IP matters, including the administration and prosecution of the company’s entire trademark portfolio at a multi-jurisdictional level.
Popovici Nitu Stoica & Asociatii is especially noted for its experience advising software companies, as well as clients in the media, sports, technology and manufacturing sectors. Software related work includes domain name protection, development, licensing, registrations and related corporate advice. The practice is also active on the litigation front, including trade mark protection disputes and copyright infringement proceedings. Cristian Popescu leads the well-regarded team, which works closely with other key departments, including corporate and dispute resolution.
Pietta Glass Working
- Sole adviser to Simona Halep, on all her IP related matters, including on the negotiation and execution of several endorsement agreements, including an apparel agreement with Nike; the development of her official website and the registration of new relevant trade marks.
- Advised Auchan in its process of promoting the film and soundtrack “Untamed Romania” and relevant trademarks/rights.
- Advised Greentek in developing DARA brand, a new smart lighting product.
Schoenherr si Asociatii SCA clients benefit from a broad mix of IP-related services. The department, led by Sorin-Eduard Pavel, is an important adjunct to the firm's active corporate team, regularly providing IP support on cross-border M&As and restructurings. The team also has a strong standalone function, representing clients on IP infringement claims and anti-counterfeiting measures. The firm's regional presence is an advantage for IP-related multi-jurisdictional proceedings and strategies.
Marchesi Antinori S.p.A
Bano Healthcare GmbH
- Assisting a major multinational toy manufacturer on a series of custom intervention proceedings and incidental litigation cases regarding third parties’ attempted introduction of counterfeit toys, similar to the ones produced by the company, into Romania.
- Assisting a major oil and gas group on various intellectual property projects in Romania, including court cases and trademark opposition/contestation proceedings in front of the national trademark office.
Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law has a dedicated team of IP lawyers led by the highly-rated Ana Maria Kusak. The practice provides strong support on complex corporate transactions, including advice on IP transfers and day-to-day strategic matters, including licensing and franchising issues. The team also has good expertise in contentious copyright, trade mark and design protection, and has been involved in several significant infringement claims. Senior associate Elena Stan is also well-regarded.
Ana Maria Kusak
Other key lawyers:
‘I would characterise them as pros that squeeze everything from the objectives assigned. They get into details thoroughly, cover every aspect of the matter. They put empathy as well into their cases.’
‘Key strengths of the Stratulat Albulescu’s IP team include being very quick in providing answers, proactive and with excellent legal knowledge. All lawyers provide very professional legal advice in very short time frames and are able to understand the complex factual background of a case very quickly. Stratulat Albulescu Attorneys at Law is a great firm to work with.’
‘The strength of the SAA team is the wide knowledge of all the fields we touch when reviewing our franchise contract. The team has been constantly available and supportive in replying to the parties.’
‘Ana Kusak is an experienced lawyer with well-qualified associates (such as Senior Associate Elena Stan). She is able to provide a bespoke and cost-effective approach to each case. Ana leads her team very well and has very clear strategic thinking.’
World Class Romania S.A.
Drop & Go S.R.L.
Florentino Delure S.R.L.
Î.M. Vinăria Purcari S.R.L.
PREMIER IMOBILIAR ACTIV S.R.L.
BRAIN UP COLLECTIVE S.R.L.
Web Editing Development S.R.L.
Titluri Quality S.R.L.
- Advising World Class Romania S.A. on trademark related matters, copyrights and complex data protection issues. Recently, this included IP support on the launch of World Class Online, as a response to the worldwide continuous digitalization, including an evaluation of the Romanian “Word Class” trademark and the assignment of the similar Polish and Serbian trademarks.
- Advising Î.M. Vinăria Purcari S.R.L. on the protection of its trademark portfolio, both in opposition proceedings and trademark registration proceedings at a national and European level.
- Assisted Web Editing Development S.R.L. on a complex business transfer agreement with MEDIAFAX GROUP S.A., containing 55 national trademarks, 27 domain names, and copyright over the entire websites’ content.