TMT in Poland
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's team combines firmwide expertise in digital media, technology and data privacy, with local industry knowledge, providing multinational clients with solid TMT-related services. The group has developed a strong practice in matters pertaining to digitisation, innovation, cybersecurity and regulatory advice, including in relation to fintech. Department head Marek Rosinski is noted for handling strategically important matters, recently advising MasterCard on the introduction of new fintech products in Poland. Counsel Monika Gebel is another name to note, with a specialism in new technology law, e-commerce and video game law, as well as IP, advertising and consumer protection issues.
‘Excellent knowledge of local market regulations and procedures, quick reactions, prompt communication, high availability, very approachable‘
‘Radoslaw Nozykowski comprehensively explains issues in a clear manner and offers alternatives for us to choose from while providing advice on what he thinks would work best, quick to respond – even out of normal working hours‘
‘Very experienced team in legal support for various IT solutions and agreements and GDPR implementation.’
JP Morgan Chase
British American Tobacco
- Advised JP Morgan Chase on its launch of an intragroup blockchain-based network.
- Advising a joint venture created by the four largest Polish energy companies in a strategic project aiming at designing, building and starting the mass production of a new brand of electric cars in Poland.
- Advising Novo Nordisk on a business process outsourcing agreement for the provision of privacy support
In 2019, Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k. benefited from the arrival of IT and technology experts Tomasz Zalewski and Paweł Lipski from Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski, who now jointly lead the team alongside regulatory expert Piotr Dynowski. The practice, which handles regulatory, corporate, advertising, IP and competition law work, has developed particular expertise in the fintech sector. It also has strong coverage of issues related to gambling, cloud computing, IT projects and blockchain technology, as well as more traditional media and telecoms work.
‘The team is very responsive and dives into the circumstances of cases‘
‘Pawel Lipski has a great understanding of what details are actually needed in written statements and also in oral hearings. He has a great overview over the different relevant legal provisions. He also engages his associates in the client work where appropriate‘
Santander Bank Polska
The Heart Warsaw
FS File Solutions
- Regulatory and commercial law advice to Santander (including support in negotiations) in the process of purchasing SaaS based CRM solution from the world leading CRM services provider.
- Regulatory and commercial law advice (including support in negotiations) to BondSpot in the process of renegotiations of the core system / functionality outsourcing agreement with MTS (London Stock Exchange Group).
- Advice to Arkadin SAS on unified communications services in the cloud.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.
The team at CMS is noted for its expertise in IT implementation projects, data protection and GDPR advisory services, as well as advising digital businesses on their operations in Poland. The group is led by IT and data protection specialist Tomasz Koryzma and advises a range of multinational and Polish clients, including ZTE, HP and ING Alea. It is also able to draw on the firm's strong international presence, often coordinating matters across the CEE region.
‘This is an experienced, senior team. They have worked together for a long time, and really pay attention to the client’s needs‘
‘Tomasz Koryzma is an absolute star. Always calm and prepared. He knows his business and is always in control no matter how rough the case could be. He is a smooth operator when it comes to explaining difficult and sensitive issues especially to the authorities‘
- Advises ING Aleo on day-to-day issues relating to its e-commerce platform.
- Assisted DXC on the creation of a central e-health system for Poland.
- Assisted Airbnb with regulatory issues in Poland.
The practice at Dentons spans media, technology, intellectual property, telecoms and privacy advice, assisting domestic and international clients, including over-the-top providers, phone networks and international banks, with their operations in Poland. In 2019, Igor Ostrowski was promoted to global co-chair of the firm's TMT group, while local department head Karol Laskowski, a media and telecoms expert and experienced copyright arbitrator, became a managing counsel; the group also welcomed senior associate Małgorzata Domalewska from an in-house position at Telewizja Puls, adding substantial experience in film production and television broadcasting advice.
‘The practice works very efficiently and is a solution-oriented team that understands what is important for the client‘
‘Karol Laskowski is a very professional lawyer with a high level of knowledge‘
‘Professional and smart lawyers with lots of knowledge and experience, understanding the business aspects‘
Viacom International Media Networks
Eleven Sports Network
SPI International / Kino Polska
Office of Electronic Communications/UKE
- Continues to provide day-to-day legal support for the Polish BBC Worldwide subsidiary regarding BBC programs available in Poland, as well as on regulatory, corporate, tax and procedural issues.
- Continues to provide legal support for Facebook in cases before the Polish Data Protection Authority and administrative courts regarding data privacy, protection of user data and freedom of speech
- Assists Microsoft with Polish regulatory issues.
Maruta Wachta sp. j. is entirely dedicated to TMT, advising Polish and international clients engaged in the sector. It is regularly instructed on major IT projects, including outsourcing, but also has substantial experience in relation to film production, advertising, mobile content and marketing communications; as well as drawing on significant data protection and privacy expertise. Founding partner Marcin Maruta jointly leads the team alongside IT contracts specialist Maciej Zackiewicz and data privacy and security expert Marcin Serafin.
‘The biggest advantages of working with the team are the following: broad knowledge on IT processes and IT specifics and their implications in Polish and EU law, dedication to clients’ issues, talking about law in user-friendly way.’
‘In-depth knowledge of specifics of IT industry‘
‘Marcin Serafin is engaged and has a professional attitude‘
Polish Ministry of Digitalisation
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Polkomtel / Polsat Group
Operator Chmury Krajowej
EURO-NET / RTV EURO AGD
Krajowa Izba Rozliczeniowa
- Drafting critical contracts for T-Mobile
- Advising Totalizator Sportowy on the implementation and maintenance of its online gambling platform.
Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak has developed a niche in representing software companies in court proceedings relating to the violation of software rights and digital crimes. On the non-contentious front, the team advises IT industry clients, including Microsoft, on licensing issues, cloud computing and personal data matters. It also has expertise in IT outsourcing transactions, e-commerce and the full gamut of data protection matters. The department is jointly led by IP and IT expert Mikołaj Sowiński and personal data and privacy law specialist Agata Szeliga.
‘The attorneys I work with have exceptional legal knowledge but also know in depth the legal and business topics important for the customer they support‘
‘They provide not only theoretical legal advice but also the one which is very practical and indicates the concrete actions to be taken‘
‘Mikołaj Sowińsk has deep knowledge of industry combined with legal expertise and practical legal opinions‘
BSA – the Software Alliance
- Providing ongoing IT and IP assistance to Microsoft, including negotiations of customised software license contracts, representing the company in hundreds of proceedings involving digital crime practices and violation of rights to software products.
- Representation of BSA members in hundreds of court proceedings and negotiations regarding violation of rights to software products.
- Strategic and ongoing advice to Eurocash in relation to e-commerce.
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners is a TMT-focused firm that has made a name for itself for its work advising both public and private sector clients on the spectrum of internet, media, e-commerce and telecoms issues, including in relation to public procurement of IT solutions. The department is led by co-founding partner Xawery Konarski who, in addition to advising the Polish government on legislative issues, is also an arbitrator for the Arbitration Court for Internet Domains at the Polish Chamber of Information Technology and Telecommunications. Agnieszka Wachowska is another key name, and specialises in new technologies and copyright law.
‘A reputable Polish law firm with major achievements in the field of modern technologies, IP, media and telecommunications‘
‘Xawery Konarski is a brilliant practitioner, one of those who shape the modern TMT legal framework on national and international level‘
‘One of the Polish law firms which over the last decades has made a name for itself by providing reliable, high quality legal advice‘
Agencja Rozwoju Mazowsza
Skarb Państwa – Generalny Dyrektor Dróg Krajowych i Autostrad
PGNiG Obrót Detaliczny
Skarb Państwa – Główny Inspektorat Transportu Drogowego
Polski Standard Płatności
Asseco South Eastern Europe
Center for Informatics Technology
Bank Gospodarstwa Krajowego
PKO BP Finat
Cashless Trade Development Foundation
- Advising Agencja Rozwoju Mazowsza on its ‘Internet for Mazovia’ project.
- Assisting the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways with an extensive public render for a central implementation project for the completion of a national traffic management systemm, and the performance of regional implementation projects
- Advised PGNiG on the public tender procedure for a billing system.
Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka's core competencies include media law, covering publishing, television and radio broadcasting, the video games sector, and IT projects relating to healthcare. The group is led by telecoms, internet, e-commerce and data privacy specialist Aleksandra Auleytner and includes counsel Wojciech Dziomdziora, an expert in TMT-related consulting management and public affairs.
‘The practice is very professional – all necessary legal knowledge is combined with technology connections and understanding. It offers a unique combination of legal, medical, healthcare organization and IT knowledge‘
‘Their stable team makes it certain what is the expected level of services‘
‘The team stands out in good knowledge of business aspects of law and is one of not so many law firms that have lawyers with good knowledge of the video game industry‘
Bauer Publishing House
Visa Europe Services
Association of Private Media Employers Lewiatan
PIKE (Polish Chamber for Electronic Communication)
Media Saturn Holdings Polska
Wirtualna Polska (WP)
Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO
- Provides ongoing consultancy service to PKP IC in all kinds of telecommunications and IT matters including legal disputes, negotiations and contracts with Alstom Group on implementation of Wi-Fi in Pendolino high speed trains.
- Providing ongoing legal support to Nexera including drafting and securing complex telecommunication contracts, providing compliance with telecommunication, GDPR and public-aid regulations.
- Ongoing strategic advisory support to TVN: providing legal support in various media law matters and all telecommunication matters; representing the client by the Broadcasting Council and the President of the Electronic Communication Office; and advising on legislative and public affairs matters.
GWW is most noted for its telecoms expertise, assisting industry bodies and Polish and international corporates with infrastructural and regulatory matters. Leading the team is infrastructure project and implementation specialist Wacław Knopkiewicz.
‘The team has a unique combination of legal skills and business knowledge, which is really important in telecommunications sector‘
‘In addition to legal knowledge, the advisers are distinguished by experience and knowledge regarding the functioning of telecommunications undertakings‘
- Represented Multimedia Polska in proceedings regarding access to cable duct infrastructure.
Lesnodorski, Slusarek & Partners stands out for media law, intellectual property and matters related to new technologies. The team handles the spectrum of matters for clients in the television sector, assisting producers and distributors with matters such as licensing. It also has a strong data protection practice, as well as experience advising on the implementation of IT systems. Advertising and media law specialist Maciej Ślusarek jointly leads the group with copyright expert Maciej Kubiak.
MediaCom – Warszawa
- Advised Tank Productions on its film, a Polish-Italian co-production directed by Jacek Boruch, Sweet End of the Day, supporting the client with licensing issues.
- Advising Philips Polska on an e-commerce project and the implementation of a new distribution model.
- Advised WeszloCOM on a special World Cup edition of the Orły newspaper.
Wardynski & Partners
The team at Wardynski & Partners is led by Krzysztof Wojdyło, who is praised by clients for his knowledge of 'exactly what is important and where to focus'. The interdisciplinary new technologies practice is able to handle a wide variety of matters related to fintech, blockchain, cybersecurity, e-commerce and gaming. In addition, the group is well-versed in IT project implementation, telecoms and technology in a healthcare context. Artur Granicki joined the firm in May 2019, after serving as head of the fintech department at the Polish Financial Supervision Commission.
‘I recommend them for their professionalism, competence and service culture’
‘They find solutions to problems and answers to questions that do not have easy answers, knowledge and experience‘
‘They pinpointed all the most important things at the beginning and knew exactly what to do, to avoid any problems and to get the financial institution license for our company‘
Fundacja Przedsiębiorczości Technologicznej
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr is able to handle matters across the spectrum of TMT, including content production and dissemination, procurement, rights protection and licensing. In addition, the group is able to leverage the firm's capabilities in relation to intellectual property and competition law. Agnieszka Wiercińska-Krużewska leads the team, and is regularly instructed by telecoms operators and broadcasters.
‘Provides timely and thorough responses to inquiries‘
‘The lawyers try to understand and cover all aspects of an issue‘
‘The bigger picture demand from the team helps me to ask the right questions‘
Ministry of Digital Affairs
XL Energy Marketing
Fundacja TechSoup (TechSoup Foundation)
Chubb European Group
Samsung Electronics Poland Manufacturing
- Advising FremantleMedia Polska in relation to its ongoing business activities.
- Assisted the Ministry of Digital Affairs with analysing the potential effects of Brexit for telecommunication carriers in regards to roaming services.
- Assisted OLX (one of the largest Polish online sales services) with all types of transactions involving software or applications as the main asset.
APLaw Artur Piechocki
APLaw Artur Piechocki is a specialist IT and TMT law firm, providing clients with services across the telecoms and media sectors, and in relation to new technologies, IT projects, outsourcing and fintech. The group is co-led by founding partner Artur Piechocki, whose expertise encompasses new technologies and cybersecurity, as well as Ireneusz Matusiak.
‘The members of the team display uncompromising commitment and creativity. They have perfect understanding of business needs and they know the specifics of the industry and the market in which their company functions‘
‘Artur Piechocki has an excellent understanding of online marketing and sales and information technology. He is able to explain complex legal issues to non-lawyers and convince people who think compliance is nuisance, to comply with the rules‘
‘Reliability, timeliness of work, availability‘
- Ongoing advice to ComCert, a Polish IT and cybersecurity company on complex IT matters, particularly on drafting and verifying IT implementation agreements, cybersecurity solutions for banks and administrative authorities and privacy and data protection issues.
Bakowski Law Firm advises clients in the IT, telecoms and new technologies sectors on matters relating to licensing agreements, outsourcing, cloud computing, as well as marketing law issues. The department is led by Zuzanna Łaganowska, an expert in new technology regulations, telecoms law, data protection, as well as experience handling administrative law matters and proceedings.
‘Very competent, professional with a personal approach, always in touch and on time‘
‘Everyone has exceptional knowledge.’
‘The team works very effectively and in a timely manner.‘
Belgacom International Carrier Services
National Research Institute supervised by the Ministry of Digital Affairs
Polish Agency for Enterprise Development
- Advises Belgacom International Carrier Services on its activities and regulatory matters in Poland.
- Provides legal advice to SledovaniTV, a Czech telecommunication company on its activities and regulatory matters in Poland.
Clifford Chance's team, led by Marcin Bartnicki, has a strong focus on corporate transactions in the TMT space and, in conjunction with the firm's international offering, is often instructed for cross-border projects. The group also handles standalone work, including the implementation of transitional technology arrangements and data privacy. Another area where the firm has developed a strong practice is fintech, a sector in which the firm handles transactions, regulatory matters and disputes.
‘I have never seen such a hard working and diligent team. They excel in all aspects of the services and their deliverables always exceeded my expectations‘
‘Krzysztof Hajdamowicz is a top notch professional, incredibly committed to the deal, he has excellent legal skills and fights for the client‘
Ringier Axel Springer Media
Czech Media Invest
ING Bank Śląski
- Advised Axel Springer, Ringie, Ringier Axel Springer Media and StepStone on the creation of a joint venture for a online jobs portal.
- Advised Czech Media Invest on the acquisition of the regional radio assets of the multinational media conglomerate Lagardère Group
- Advised Acapela Group on a licence agreement with a state-owned company concerning digital voice generation software for the rail passenger information system.
Film and television production are core areas of expertise for the team at Czyzewscy Kancelaria Adwokacka, which regularly handles domestic and international media law-related projects. Other areas of expertise include the publishing sector, and the group is regularly instructed on licensing, distribution, defamation and publicity issues. The team's lawyers also have experience in IP and TMT litigation, particularly in relation to copyright and unfair competition. Developing areas for the group, which is led by founding partner Krzysztof Czyżewski, include trade secrets and video game law.
‘Really good & reliable lawyers. They have much bigger knowledge in copyright issues and entertainment contracts than any other east European law firm I have worked with‘
‘Krzysztof Czyzewski is not only a lawyer with a great legal knowledge but also a person understanding the business and the client expectations‘
‘The team is always reachable and responsive. You are always asked for details in order to settle the facts first and not waste time later on or found the opinion inaccurate‘
Wajda School & Wajda Studio
Advanced Accelerator Application
- Advised R&D Studio on the creation of a virtual reality application.
- Advises VICE on its online advertising for Polish audiences.
- Advising ZPR Media on matters related to the revitalisation of a television game show.
At DLA Piper, the TMT team is a sub-group of the firm's intellectual property and technology department. The group has experience in litigation and commercial issues relating to the emerging technologies, life sciences, insurance, fintech and media sectors. Data privacy is a core area for the group, which is often instructed in GDPR implementation projects. Ewa Kurowska-Tober heads the group.
‘I have found their advice to be pragmatic and solution focused, which has been of far more use than a simple reciting of the law‘
‘Flexible; presenting solutions made to measure‘
‘Outstanding knowledge of the market, covering Polish TMT aspects whilst closely advising global corporates from an international and cross-border perspective as well‘
Levi Strauss & Co. Europe
- Advising Vodafone on telecommunications regulations.
- Advising Equinix on a number of legal issues applicable to its operations in Poland.
Greenberg Traurig Grzesiak sp. k.'s practice has significant experience of the implementation and operation of IT systems, and also supports the US-based firm's transactional lawyers, providing advice on the integration of information systems and data migration. Michał Fereniec leads the team, and brings to bear experience in sports law and media rights.
Cyfrowy Polsat Group
BNP Paribas Group
Deutsche Bank Polska
- Advised Ekstraklasa on the sale of media rights for the Polish premier league to Polish broadcasters.
Doktór Jerszynski Pietras Adwokaci i Radcowie Prawni Spólka
Doktór Jerszynski Pietras Adwokaci i Radcowie Prawni Spólka is most noted for providing TMT-related advice to public and private sector clients on transactions, including issues related to licensing. Gracjan Pietras heads the team, specialising in intellectual property and new technologies.
‘A reliable balance between expert legal support and deep knowledge about specific business areas‘
‘I have never met lawyers with whom you can so quickly find common understanding of business topics; on the other hand, they are very professional on legal topics‘
Fortum Power and Heat Polska
Rubix Group International
Polskie Badania Czytelnictwa
Polski Fundusz Rozwoju
PRF Towarzystwo Funduszy Inwestycyjnych
PFR Portal PPK
Jeronimo Martins Polska
Jeronimo Martins Drogerie i Farmacja
- Advised state-owned Polski Fundusz Rozwoju in connection with the acquisition of an IT system serving a new national retirement savings programme and various IT services related to that system.
In early 2019, the team at Kochanski & Partners benefited from the arrival of former sole practitioner Maciej Mackiewicz, an expert in cybersecurity issues with a particular focus on cyber-crime and forensics, who now leads the department. Areas of expertise also include the implementation of cloud computing in the banking sector. Karolina Marciniszyn is another name to note, with substantial experience in industrial property litigation.
‘Excellent all round commercially driven advice‘
‘They are for us the obvious choice‘
‘Karolina Marciniszyn has been our first port of call in Poland for almost ten years. Clients particularly like her responsiveness, her enormous reliability and her comprehensive legal knowledge with which she successfully handles even the most difficult cases‘
Johnson Matthey Poland
Ringier Axel Springer Polska
Reckitt Benckiser Polska
- Advised One Peak Partners on data protection and IP-related matters, following its investment in Doc Planner.
- Advising PSE on the implementation of new regulations required by the Polish National Cybersecurity System, and on the viability of using blockchain for energy storage.
Konieczny, Wierzbicki Kancelaria Radców Prawnych sp.p.
Kraków-based TMT boutique Konieczny, Wierzbicki Kancelaria Radców Prawnych sp.p. is entirely focused on the new technology sector. It has significant expertise in inter-jurisdictional IT agreements, as well as licensing, app development and outsourcing agreements. It also handles IP- and data protection-related matters. The key names are Michał Konieczny, who heads the TMT desk and Łukasz Wieczorek, who mainly handles international work.
‘The team is very supportive, young and dynamic, and as a client we very much appreciate their positive energy and enthusiastic approach to new projects‘
‘Michał Konieczny is extremely diligent and driven which in combination with his knowledge of the market makes him an excellent attorney-at-law‘
‘They are business-oriented in their advice, very responsive and meet deadlines which are usually short in our organisation‘
Zurich Insurance Company
Novomatic Technologies Poland
- Advised Ailleron on the licensing of its iLumio product in the United Arab Emirates.
Olesinski & Wspolnicy's team is led by Warsaw-based Justyna Korycka and Lucyna Brayshaw in Wrocław. The group advises TMT clients on a wide range of issues, including tax reporting, GDPR implementation and e-commerce issues, as well as consultancy related work, such as financial analytics, due diligence and reporting.
‘The team has an extensive knowledge of pitfalls that can appear during ERP implementation and how to avoid them – that is worth a lot‘
‘Joanna Lentka-Wrobel was the most important person on the team and her expertise on the matter is extensive. Also her devotion to the project and her anticipation of future events is worth appreciation‘
‘The team is highly professional, willing to support and help at any time, keeping contact with client‘
Apteka Diabetyka Piotr Błaszkiewicz
Burda Media Polska
Call Center Inter Galactica
Call Center Poland
Dr Schneider Automotive Polska Sp.z o.o.
Ferring Pharmaceuticals Poland
Gigaset Communications Polska
GUOTAI – HUARONG (Poland)
Impel Facility Services
Nowex Arkadiusz Nowacki
Ten Square Games
Whirlpool Company Polska
- Advised eobuwie.pl on negotiations on multiple distribution agreements with leading global brands.
- Advised Krajowy Rejestr Długów Biuro Informacji Gospodarczych on obtaining protection for one of its subsidiaries – of brand dedicated to IT service focused and protection of identity, documents and fraud prevention.
Squire Patton Boggs Krześniak sp.k.'s team, led by Eligiusz Krzesniak, handles a steady flow of telecoms regulatory work, as well as regularly advising start-ups and fintech companies on their operations in Poland.
‘They understand our needs and requirements‘
- Advising T-Mobile Polska on a long-term agreement regarding the telecommunications wholesale access to Orange Polska’s fibre network.
- Advising Inmarsat on a pioneering project related to the launch of the world’s first integrated satellite and air to ground connectivity network, allowing high-speed plane passengers broadband Wi-Fi access across 30 European countries.