Intellectual property in Poland
Baker & McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa's 'highly skilled' IP practice is jointly led by Marek Rosiński, who is on the firm's European IP steering committee, and trade mark attorney Marcin Fijałkowski. The group's core focuses span industrial property issues (including trade mark and patent prosecutions and industrial design protection), trade mark and patent enforcement and litigation, copyright and advertising work, IP transactions and unfair competition claims. The firm's international presence allows the group to handle trade mark portfolios globally. On the litigation front, lawyers have significant experience before the Polish and European patent offices and advise on patentability, validity, freedom to operate and infringement issues. Senior associate Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania is another name to note and is regularly instructed in IP prosecution and litigation cases.
Marek Rosiński; Marcin Fijałkowski
‘Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania is an excellent patent attorney with a good eye to technical details, while Marcin Fijałkowski provides a firm legal background to litigation.‘
‘Baker McKenzie is a great firm to work with. Its IP team is highly skilled, and knows how to nail down complicated legal matters.‘
‘Brilliant lawyers and brilliant practitioners with a hands-on approach at the same time.‘
La Mer Technology
The Body Shop International
Magellan Life Sciences
British American Tobacco
- Managing the coordination of 3M’s trade mark global renewal processes.
- Represented CEDC International in a trade mark dispute related to the registration of the brand GRASOVKA.
- Advising Ecolab on its strategy regarding conflicting marks in case of potential litigation.
Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k. fields a full-service IP practice, which handles patent litigation and prosecution issues, brand management work, copyright protection matters, unfair competition cases and commercial IP advice. The group is jointly led by Marta Koremba, who assists with brand management matters, and life sciences and retail work; media, entertainment, sport, technology and communications IP expert Piotr Dynowski; and new technology, internet and advertising specialist Paweł Lipski who joined from Eversheds Sutherland Wierzbowski in 2019. Senior associate Mateusz Dubek is also recommended as an expert in contentious trade mark and design protection issues, with further experience in unfair competition claims.
Marta Koremba; Piotr Dynowski; Paweł Lipski
‘The firm must be very proud to have such a strong IP practice. They are a great set of experts and professionals. I can always rely on them. They are very practical and pragmatic.‘
‘In addition to having very good specialised skills, they have also have strong transferable skills, as well as business acumen.‘
‘Marta Koremba is a great expert and an enthusiastic leader. I’m very lucky to have her on board as an external adviser. I can always rely on her and I know that even in very difficult situations she always thinks about solutions and business needs and she is very supportive.‘
‘Mateusz Dubek is an excellent expert – devoted and always focused on business needs.‘
Stock Spirits Group
Polski Koncern Naftowy Orlen
Monster Beverage Corporation
FS File Solutions
EGIS Pharmaceuticals plc
H. J. Heinz Company
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Gedeon Richter plc
- Represented Stock Spirits Group in trade mark infringement proceedings against a Polish fruit wine and beer producer.
- Represented EGIS Pharmaceuticals in several disputes including a trade mark infringement dispute and patent invalidation proceedings.
- Represented Gedeon Rickter in proceedings initiated by Bayer Pharmer, concerning the alleged infringement of the patent for its blockbuster oral contraceptive drug by a generic product developed by the client.
Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak's team has niche experience in the enforcement of IP rights for major brands including Nike, Rolex and Tommy Hilfiger; the group also advises major IT industry companies on cloud computing and personal data issues. IP litigation is another area of expertise including disputes concerning employee rights to inventions and copyrights in the financial and medical equipment industries. The practice is regularly instructed by luxury brands on counterfeit mandates, as well as managing trade mark portfolios for multinationals operating in Poland. The team is co-led by Szymon Gogulski, a specialist in industrial property, unfair competition, advertising law and copyright protection; and patent, trade mark and design protection law expert Ewa Skrzydło-Tefelska. Mikołaj Sowiński specialises in matters spanning IP and IT law, and of counsel Aurelia Nowicka has expertise in patent law and software protection work.
Szymon Gogulski; Ewa Skrzydło-Tefelska
‘The team is extremely responsive, reliable, and takes business needs into account when giving advice.‘
‘Analysis is always extremely thorough, yet summarised succinctly to allow for easy transmission back to the business team.‘
‘Jacek Myszko is extremely intelligent, fun and easy to work with, quick to respond, and always imparts good, solid advice that we value highly.‘
Business Software Alliance
Microsoft Corp. + PL
POLMOS – Podlaska Wytwórnia Wódek
The Swatch / OMEGA
- Represented Cinkciarz.pl in opposition proceedings and invalidation actions initiated by MasterCard in the EUIPO against a trade mark comprising words and a logo in the form of two interlocking circles.
- Represented Rolex in litigation before the Polish Patent Office related to the invalidation of an infringing trade mark.
- Advised Polish football league Ekstralasa on brand protection matters.
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners' department handles the full spectrum of contentious and non-contentious matters pertaining to copyrights, patents and trade marks, with a client roster of major international brands, including Google Polska. The copyright sub-group is led by Kraków-based co-founder Elżbieta Traple, who advises the Polish authorities on legislation and handles copyright litigation before the Polish courts. Paweł Podrecki is another leading member of the team with knowledge of copyright matters and expertise in competition and civil law, as well as new technologies. Patent attorney Anna Sokołowska-Ławniczak is another name to note, and is an experienced litigator before the Polish and EU patent offices.
Elżbieta Traple; Paweł Podrecki
‘Communication with Anna Sokołowska-Ławniczak is easy, very fluid and friendly. We highlight her prompt response and professionalism.‘
‘Very good cooperation in the field of operational efficiency, communication, high personal culture and extensive substantive knowledge.‘
‘The team displays the highest moral and ethical attitude. Hard negotiators but with an elegant way and attitude. Highest competence.‘
Stowarzyszenie Filmowców Polskich
LEROY MERLIN Polska
JANSSEN – CILAG POLSKA
- Assisted Lotte Wedel with all IP matters including trade mark and patent issues, IP litigation, advertising issues, copyright matters.
- Acted for Maspex Group in IP litigation, particularly trade mark litigation regarding the TIGER brand including handling a number of cases before the Polish Patent Office, European Union Intellectual Property Office and common court in Poland.
- Represented the Polish Filmmakers Association in a case before the CJEU concerning the compatibility of the IPR Enforcement Directive with the provision of the Polish law on copyright and related rights which allows lump sum damages for infringement of copyrights in the amount corresponding to twice the appropriate licence fee.
Wardynski & Partners
The IP department at Wardynski & Partners is noted for trade mark and patent issues, and regularly handles matters pertaining to copyrights. The group has an inter-disciplinary approach and works closely with colleagues from the firm's dispute resolution, tax and new technologies groups. Unfair competition is another key area for the team, as is IP enforcement and anti-counterfeiting work. On the advisory front, the practice is well-versed in IP transactions and the commercialisation of technology and IP assets through licencing and collaborative arrangements. As team co-heads, Włodzimierz Szoszuk specialises in industrial property law, copyright, unfair competition and issues relating to the art market; while Anna Pompe-Ciszewska has a strong practice in the exploitation and enforcement of trade marks, designs, copyrights and domain names. Both also have substantial litigation experience.
Włodzimierz Szoszuk; Anna Pompe-Ciszewska
E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
The Scotch Whisky Association
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- Advised the widow of Polish artist Marek Żuławski in civil litigation with the Institute of National Remembrance concerning the unauthorised reproduction of one of his artworks.
- Representing Lego Juris in a matter concerning the infringement of its trade marks and acting in an opposition against the defendant’s trade mark application.
- Representing Yoko Ono Lennon in the Polish aspects of a multi-jurisdictional dispute concerning the infringement of trade marks owned by the client.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.'s team is singled out for its patent litigation practice, representing multinational clients before the courts in Poland and the EU. Sector expertise encompasses the life sciences, telecoms, media and pharmaceuticals industries, and the group regularly handles trade mark and copyright protection issues alongside patent work. It is also able to draw on the firm's international presence to advise clients on their global IP portfolios. Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozłowska heads up the department, which fields Justyna Ostrowska, who is an experienced IP advocate and handles a variety of contentious and non-contentious issues relating to new technologies and data protection. Senior associate Michał Gajdus specialises in industrial property, copyright and unfair competition law.
BNP Paribas Bank Polska
- Representing Orange Poland before the Court of Justice of the European Union in an unfair competition dispute relating to an alleged breach of good market practices.
- Advised a major telecoms and media operator in Poland on complex issues regarding broadcasting rights and its licensing for sport events.
- Assisting Nikon Corporation with the co-ordination of customs protection programmes in Poland aimed at the suspension of the release or detention of goods suspected of infringing Nikon’s IP rights.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Pośniak i Bejm sp.k.
Core sectors for CMS span the fashion and luxury goods, chemicals, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, technology and media industries. The team, which is led by Tomasz Koryzma, focuses on IP enforcement work, with particular expertise in trade mark and patent cases and portfolio protection issues. The Warsaw office acts as a hub for the CEE, and lawyers regularly coordinate matters across the region. Promoted to partner in 2019, Marek Oleksyn is an expert in trade marks and unfair competition cases.
‘The strengths of the CMS team are availability and solving problems fast and professionalism during the meetings.‘
‘Marek Oleksyn is very good at developing strategies and bringing value to the company.‘
‘We are very satisfied and impressed by the level of work and ethics of all team members that are involved in this. It continues to be a very difficult case, but they always rise to the occasion.‘
- Acting as a strategy partner to for L’Oréal in IP enforcement issues in Poland.
- Representing HP in patent enforcement and protection matters in Poland.
- Assisting Sky International with trade mark enforcement and prosecution in Poland.
The team at Dentons stands out for advising a range of multinationals, including Coca-Cola, Nike and Delta Air Lines, on matters including IP applications and licensing work, and portfolio management and IP protection issues. The group, which is led by Karol Laskowski, leverages the firm's global presence to handle multi-jurisdictional IP projects, covering copyrights, trade marks and patents.
‘The IP team worked seamlessly with the transactional team. They were also able to translate IP issues into understandable issues for non IP attorneys. That is rare.‘
‘Professional and smart lawyers with lots of knowledge and experience, with a pragmatic approach focusing on business friendly solutions.‘
‘Karol Laskowski is very professional but keeps a friendly atmosphere; finds solutions and delivers legal advice in an understandable way; manages his team with very high proficiency level.‘
The Coca-Cola Company
Media IP Rights
Viacom International Media Networks
Media IP Rights
SOJKA & SOJKA
Agencja Rozwoju Przemysłu
- Advising Skanska on the development and implementation of its ‘Connected by Skanska’ building integration system.
- Assisting Zott with trade mark applications in Poland, and with trade mark portfolio management issues.
- Handling brand protection services for Nike, including advising on imported goods bearing its trade marks.
Hasik & Partners
IP boutique Hasik & Partners is noted for its expertise in IP enforcement and portfolio management work across trade mark, copyright, design and patent law, as well as personal rights and media issues for clients including UEFA and Superdry. The team is jointly led by founding partner Daniel Hasik, who is a trade mark enforcement and prosecution expert, and native French-speaker Eric Rheims, who advises luxury goods and pharmaceuticals clients on IP rights protection in Poland; Rheims is also experienced in pursuing claims for damages arising from criminal cases.
Daniel Hasik; Eric Rheims
- Assisted TM Toys with negotiations with Jeronimo Martins Polska, the owner of the biggest grocery shops network in Poland – Biedronka, regarding a loyalty program in Poland.
- Successfully represented Baktat Gida Sanayi Ve Ticaret Limited Şirketi, worldwide Turkish food producers and distributors, in a preliminary injunction action against Polish meat producers Wielkopolski Indyk and Drobimex, which had delivered meat labelled with the BAKTAT trade mark to Germany.
- Representing a number of luxury brands, including Lacost, Louis Vuitton and Moschino, in trade mark criminal enforcement proceedings.
Kondrat & Partners
Kondrat & Partners is dedicated to IP and provides trade mark, copyright, patent, industrial design and trade secrets advice to a variety of Polish and international clients. The group notably acts in claims before the Polish and EU patent offices, and it is also strong for commercialisation advice. European patent attorney, advocate and founding partner Mariusz Kondrat has a strong track record in pharmaceuticals cases and jointly leads the team alongside industrial property expert Ewa Niesiobędzka-Krause, portfolio management specialist Andrzej Przytuła, and Magdalena Jezierska-Zięba, who has technical expertise across the engineering disciplines.
Mariusz Kondrat; Ewa Niesiobędzka-Krause; Andrzej Przytuła; Magdalena Jezierska-Zięba
‘The team is professional and trustworthy, they care about terms and details.‘
‘Magdalena Jezierska-Zięba is an expert in the preparation of patent descriptions in technical areas including mechanics and electronics, and is very responsive and communicative.‘
‘A thorough and reliable team.‘
‘The team is strongly driven to business effective solutions.‘
Polish Academy of Sciences
Polish Armaments Group
University of Wrocław
- Advising P4, the owner of the PLAY brand, on trade mark portfolio management, research, monitoring and registration, as well as successfully representing the client before the Polish Patent Office in proceedings connected with the colour purple, which it uses in its branding.
- Acting for SDS in disputes concerning trade secrets infringement and unfair competition.
- Advising ZPC FLIS on the full scope of IP matters.
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr handles trade mark infringement cases, drawing on wide-ranging litigation expertise. The group also advises clients on IP strategies, portfolio management and licensing matters, working closely with the firm's competition team to assist clients with distribution and franchising contracts. Anti-counterfeiting cases are another area of expertise, and the team has a notable track record in litigation concerning the production and sale of falsified products. The department is led by Agnieszka Wiercińska-Krużewska, whose expertise includes copyright, industrial property, unfair competition and press law. Senior associate Maria Obara-Piszewska has particular expertise in copyright matters.
Huta Szkła „Czechy”
X-Trade Brokers DM
Kobalt Rights Agency
- Representing Schülke in a court action against one of the key Polish manufacturers of medicinal products, medicinal devices and cosmetics, Phytopharm.
- Representing Huta Szkła Czechy in litigation commenced by Aquarel in relation to infringement claims concerning 3D trade marks for the glass packaging of perfumes.
- Representing Kobalt Music RAL, acting on behalf of a number of UK artists, in an action against the Polish collecting society, SAWP, for the payment of foreign artists’ royalties.
Czyzewscy Kancelaria Adwokacka is a go-to firm for film and media law issues, under the leadership of Krzysztof Czyżewski, and handles domestic and international projects for a variety of film studios and independent producers. The group also assists with copyright portfolio management and disputes, with particular expertise in the publishing industry. Other areas of strength include trade secrets issues, unfair competition claims and matters relating to the protection and commercialisation of video game and virtual reality IP. Maciej Jamiołkowski focuses on trade mark issues.
Ringer Axel Springer (Newsweek)
Wajda School & Wajda Studio
- Successfully represented Seweryn Krajewski Foundation in a copyright case regarding the scope of management of copyright by one of the co-authors.
- Advising Fabryka on IP issues arising out of its entertainment event.
- Advised Gary Guthman on the creation and pitch of a new musical for the Polish market.
DLA Piper's group advises clients across a variety of sectors, with high-profile companies across the toy and entertainment, emerging technology, tobacco, pharmaceuticals, banking and finance industries on the client roster. Department head Ewa Kurowska-Tober specialises in copyright and trade mark issues, particularly in regulated sectors; she is also an expert in media law and regularly advises on copyright issues related to online publishing and broadcasting. Counsel Krystian Maciaszek is a specialist in patents and industrial design, and has experience in IP litigation.
- Advising Spin Master on counterfeit issues and acts of unfair competition.
- Advising Showmax on copyright issues connected with the activity of Showmax’s on-demand services in Poland.
- Advising LVMH on managing and protecting its portfolio of trade marks in Poland.
The team at Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka handles all aspects of industrial property law, including patents, trade marks, industrial designs and geographical indications. In addition, the group has developed particular expertise in copyright matters arising from architectural works, computer software, film and music. Drawing on expertise in media and telecoms, it also handles personal property protection issues, e-commerce projects, new technologies and internet law. Aleksandra Auleytner heads up the department.
Fresenius Kabi Polska
Visa International Service Association
Visa Europe Services
Cryogas M&T Poland
- Advising Golden Media on IP issues relating to its prime-time television productions, including Warsaw Shore, Hollywood Wives, Hotel Hell, You can Dance and Perfect Housewife.
- Advising Medcom on the licensing of copyright for software used in electric trains.
- Advised PKP IC on the copyright structure relating to its cooperation with the National Center for Research.
Drzewiecki, Tomaszek i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
Drzewiecki, Tomaszek & Wspólnicy Spólka Jawna's team specialises in the prosecution, enforcement and litigation of IP, with experience in proceedings relating to copyright law, know-how, trade marks, industrial designs and patents. The group also has experience before common and administrative courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings. Andrzej Tomaszek leads the practice, and as well as IP, specialises in competition law and product liability issues.
- Advised Hasbro on the management, prosecution and enforcement of its trade marks in Poland.
- Represented the International Olympic Committee in various disputes connected to the protection its trade marks.
- Assisting Deutsche Telekom with the protection of its trade marks.
Following DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k's acquisition of K&L Gates' Warsaw offices, the team continues to be led by Oskar Tułodziecki. The group is particularly noted for handling trade mark and design portfolio protection issues, with experience in litigation, customs protection procedures and criminal proceedings with respect to anti-piracy matters.
‘This intellectual property practice provides a very high level of service.‘
‘Oskar Tułodziecki provides a very high level of service. He is extremely knowledgeable, careful, with excellent business judgement and real-world skills.‘
FG Wójcikowscy & Łyczakowski
Bohoboco/Michał Gilbert Lach
- Assisting FG Wójcikowscy & Łyczakowski with trade mark portfolio management issues, and representing it before the EUIPO and USPTO in relation to its rebranding in the US.
- Assisting CI Games with trade mark portfolio management issues in relation to its United Label brand.
- Handling Whisbear’s EU trade mark portfolio development and management work, as well as representing the client in its global trade mark prosecution efforts.
The department at Kochanski & Partners is focused on trade mark protection work, and the team has substantial experience in trade mark litigation and defence. The group also has expertise in domain name issues, including negotiations, recovery and litigation. The department is jointly led by Karolina Marciniszyn, who is an expert in industrial property litigation, and name partner Piotr Kochanski.
Karolina Marciniszyn; Piotr Kochanski
‘The team excels in providing concise practical advice and has heaps of invaluable local knowledge in navigating the waters of trademarks and domain name defence.‘
‘We regard the firm as one of the very best Polish firms for IP and IT issues. They are the obvious choice for us.‘
‘Clients like Karolina Marciniszyn’s responsiveness, reliability and her comprehensive legal knowledge with which she successfully handles even the most difficult cases.‘
Q HOME UK
Ringer Axel Springer Polska
- Successfully represented Ringier Axel Springer Polska in a copyright infringement and unfair competition dispute brought against Agencja Wydawniczo-Reklamowa Wprost.
- Defending Hasco Lek in a trade mark infringement case brought by Swiss Pharma International in multiple proceedings.
- Representing Skanska in various IP disputes, and advising the client on trade mark issues.
Lesnodorski, Slusarek & Partners' main area of focus is IP relating to the media, advertising, art and culture sectors, drawing on extensive expertise in contentious and non-contentious copyright issues. The group's clients include a number of television and film production companies, which it advises on the protection and commercialisation of their content. Advertising and media law expert Maciej Ślusarek co-leads the team with Maciej Kubiak.
Maciej Ślusarek; Maciej Kubiak
Museum of World War II
Studio Filmowe TOR
- Representing the World War II Museum in Gdańsk regarding the infringement of their personal copyrights and personal rights caused by the new director of the Museum who made significant changes to the exhibition without any prior consent of the client.
- Advising on trade mark protection for the film Loving Vincent.
- Advising Polish television production company Rochstar on acquiring rights and the development, production and exploitation of various prime-time shows.
Managing partner Dariusz Piróg heads up the team at specialist IP firm Patpol Legal, which stands out for matters including the protection of inventions, utility models, industrial designs, trade marks and copyrights. The group has significant experience before the courts in IP litigation and customs proceedings, and advises on matters relating to the violation of IP rights including anti-counterfeiting measures, unfair competition claims and IP transfers.
‘The team I work with consists of true experts in their field. I know I don’t need to spend too much time explaining the technical side of our inventions as the firm is filled with specialized seasoned patent attorneys.‘
‘Dariusz Piróg has very good experience, a systematic approach and legal sense necessary to navigate the difficult IP cases.‘
‘The team is super professional, always provided us with accurate advise which proves itself in practice. They always make themselves available and provide quick yet professional responses to all customer queries.‘
Global Marketing Enterprise
Bestway Inflatables & Material Corporation
Trek Bicycle Corporation
Polish Security Printing Works
- Represented Bestway in a case regarding internet domain infringement in Poland.
- Represented CEDO in a case concerning the infringement of a product design.
- Advising Revlon Group on anti-counterfeiting issues relating to its products in Poland.
EY Law benefited from the arrival of Justyna Wilczyńska-Baraniak from DLA Piper in 2018, who brought significant contentious IP experience and now heads up the department. The group is instructed by a range of international clients on strategic brand protection issues and IP enforcement matters, particularly in relation to digital infringements.
‘I was impressed by how the firm, Justyna Wilczynska-Baraniak and her team were very business-oriented. The team was able to advise very quickly, seeing our interests first.‘
‘Business-oriented team with good legal knowledge.‘
The Spar Group
- Providing Fitbit with ongoing legal support in the field of trade marks, IP protection on e-commerce platforms and IP custom protection.
- Representing The Spar Group in a complex proceeding concerning the termination of a Dutch-law governed license agreement by a previous licensee.
IP is a core practice for GKR Legal, which advises an extensive roster of international clients, including Audi and Volkswagen, on the full spectrum of rights protection issues. The group has experience in civil litigation, as well as criminal litigation involving counterfeited trade marks. Unfair competition cases are another area where the firm stands out; department co-heads Anna Gołębiowska and Renata Bugiel specialise in this area.
Anna Gołębiowska; Renata Bugiel
‘The team is always on the detail. They are highly professional and always prepared to assist you and provide the necessary guidance.‘
‘Renata Bugiel is an absolute pleasure to work with. During our 3 years of working together, she has always been able to find legal solutions to even the most complex matters. She is fluent in English and has brilliant communication skills.’
‘It gives sound advice and when it’s needed, strategic thinking which can be crucial for helping in decision making on a particular matter.‘
Perfetti van Melle
Abercrombie & Fitch
Bakker & Verkuijl
- Representing Audi in a case against Krzysztof Senkowski (Polcar) regarding the use of its European Union graphic trade mark (four-ring logo) on radiator grills without the Audi’s consent.
- Successfully represented Perfetti Van Melle Benelux in a civil case regarding the infringement of its trade mark MENTOS.
- Representing Geneva Laboratories in a civil case regarding the infringement of its trade mark BIO-OIL. Also representing the client in the related criminal actions.
LDS Lazewski Depo & Partners
IP boutique LDS Lazewski Depo & Partners is noted for its expertise in protection issues including work relating to industrial property copyright, unfair competition, advertising law, contract law and anti-counterfeiting. In particular, the team has experience in obtaining supplementary protection certificates for pharmaceuticals companies, pharmaceuticals patent enforcement and defence, and validation proceedings, which are handled by a standalone group led by founding partner Marek Lazewski. Justyna Rasiewicz heads up the patent litigation group, while Michal Siciarek is the key name to note for trade mark enforcement and litigation, in addition to copyright and unfair competition issues.
Marek Lazewski; Justyna Rasiewicz; Michal Siciarek
‘They are everything a reliable outside counsel should be: knowledgeable, quick, clear, transparent, solution oriented, trustworthy.‘
- Represented a client in the invalidation proceedings before the Polish Patent Office and handled a complaint to the Regional Administrative Court in Warsaw.
RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners
RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners is focused on advising domestic and foreign entrepreneurs and corporates on the protection of industrial property rights, copyright protection and unfair competition matters. The team is experienced in drafting license and copyright transfer agreements, as well as handling claims connected with infringements. The group is led by Aneta Pankowska, whose knowledge spans contentious and non-contentious IP and commercial law.
Tar Heel Capital
- Defended MAGO in a case concerning its alleged infringement of Cefla Societa Cooperativa’s European patent.
The IP team at SMM Legal is predominantly based in Poznań, under the leadership of Rafał Sikorski. With broad sector expertise, the group is able to handle sophisticated matters relating to research and development projects for state-owned companies including the National Centre for Research and Development. The impressive client roster spans multiple sectors, including the energy, telecoms, banking and healthcare industries.
‘In our view, what distinguishes the team from others is their bold and creative approach to legal problems. The firm tackles complex issues from a cross-sectional perspective, setting up specialist teams to produce comprehensive solutions.‘
‘We highly appreciate the way in which Rafał Sikorski combines his outstanding academic competence, vast practical experience and knowledge of the business environment.‘
‘What makes them stand-out when compared to other firms is first of all comprehensive nature of services, engagement in handling our matters, business-oriented approach and expertise.‘
National Center for Research and Development
Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz – PORT Polski Ośrodek Rozwoju Technologii
Międzynarodowe Targi Poznańskie
Wydawnictwo Polskiej Prowincji Dominikanów W Drodze
National Center for Research and Development
Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz – PORT Polski Ośrodek Rozwoju Technologii
- Provided comprehensive support to the National Centre for Research and Development on drafting provisions governing IP issues in a contract for a hydrogen storage project based on the problem-driven research model.
- Assisting the IT department of SGB-Bank with a variety of issues.
- Prepared a legal opinion for Enexon on the possibility to register two verbal-figurative trade marks.
Taylor Wessing LLP
The team at Taylor Wessing LLP specialises in day-to-day brand protection issues, as well as regulatory and litigation matters arising out of its international clients' operations in Poland. It also has experience in trade mark portfolio management, advising on issues including trade mark registrations and infringements and licensing arrangements. Przemysław Walasek heads up the team, which brought on senior associate Agnieszka Sztoldman from SMM Legal in 2019, adding expertise in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sectors.
Velcro Group Corporation
Leadership Academy for Poland
Scotch Whiskey Association
- Advised Velcro Group Corporations on trade mark infringements in Poland.
- Advising Adamed Pharma on day-to-day IP issues.
- Advised Bytedance on social media marketing campaigns for its product, Tik Tok, as well as supporting the client in combating trade mark infringements.