The IP practice at Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Sp.k. covers all elements of IP protection and enforcement of copyrights, trademarks and patents, including licensing, transactions, prosecution, enforcement, advertising and representation before a range of courts. In particular, the team handles IP portfolios for international clients active in the pharmaceutical, tobacco and FMCG sectors. Marcin Fijalkowski leads the team and is supported by senior of counsel Marek Rosiński, senior associate Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania, who is adept at representing clients before EUIPO and WIPO, and counsel Jakub Falkowski, who heads the innovation team. The group recently grew at associate level.
Intellectual property in Poland
Baker McKenzie Krzyzowski i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has extensive knowledge of intellectual property topics. The training provided is very substantive and of high quality.’
‘They provided us excellent advice, think very strategically and know exactly what they do.’
‘BM team has been advising us on various matters for years and I am very pleased with their service, solution and business-oriented approach and good value for money services.’
‘Marcin Fijalkowski is the partner in Warsaw office I am working with on all IP and unfair competition law issues. He proved many times his value and helped us to protect our rights. In my view, he brings perfect mix of legal knowledge and experience combined with industry awareness and solution oriented approach.’
‘Marcin Fijalkowski – great knowledge, flexible and adapts to the requirements of a corporate client.’
‘Katarzyna Tobiasz Dumiania – great knowledge, self-confidence, easy communication.’
‘Marcin Fijalkovski has advised us excellently in a patent issue including a court case. He is very pragmatic, has an excellent knowledge and is also good at liaising with our representatives in other countries.’
Unilever Polska Sp. z o.o.
- Represented Pipelife in a patent dispute brought by its competitor, Wavin, in front of the Warsaw IP Court.
- Represented CEDC in front of the EUIPO Board of Appeal in the high profile opposition against Underberg’s ‘grass blade in the bottle’ trademark.
- Represented Podravka in front of the Supreme Administrative Court in the long running dispute against Prymat over its packaging of Kucharek.
Bird & Bird Szepietowski i wspólnicy sp. k. provides advice to domestic and international clients on the full scope of both hard and soft IP mandates. This includes freedom to operate analysis, licensing, R&D, brand management, trademark, patent and design litigation and prosecution, transactions and unfair competition matters. The practice has a focus on the electronics, life sciences, aviation, telecoms, media, sports and FMCG sectors. The department is jointly led by experienced IP litigator Marta Koremba, patent expert Piotr Dynowski, internet and digital transformations specialist Paweł Lipski and commercial lawyer Tomasz Zalewski.
‘They understand our goals and demands well, give us advice and they are acting to achieve that.’
‘The cost per hour they charge is not individual, but uniform. And the cost is very reasonable. They understand the costs we spend and give advice commensurate with those costs.’
‘The biggest strength of the team is its ability to adjust to the client’s needs and its ability to understand the specificity of the business and flexibility.’
‘Mateusz Dubek responds quickly to our demands. He responds to us with the results of asking team members as needed. Also, our request needs to be addressed not only in Poland but also in European countries. He communicates our goals to lawyers in other countries so that we can respond quickly.’
‘Marta Koremba is naturally gifted in providing strategic direction and readily provides solutions to challenging situations in IP litigation. She is practical and very much alive to our business objectives which she aligns well with her advice. When we have had requests for fee adjustments, she was more than willing to be flexible to accommodate us.
‘Mateusz Dubek’s talent lies in being technically excellent and he is easily the most detail-oriented solicitor we have worked with. He has an impressive understanding of the standards of evidence, including the format, type and quality of it. As a result his work always hits the mark.’
‘Mateusz Dubek’s bespoke and technical approach to litigation sets him apart from the more standard attitudes you encounter at other firms. Furthermore, he is proactive in his communication and seeks to keep us abreast without us having to chase – his advice is concise and commercially practical.’
‘Marta Koremba has outstanding knowledge connected with a business-oriented approach. Working with her is always a pleasure.’
Max Co., Ltd.
IGT Poland Sp. z o.o.
FS File Solutions/Kelo
Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Prosecco
Edwards Lifesciences Corp.
Stock Spirits Group
Monster Energy Company
Polskie Linie Lotnicze LOT S.A.
- Advised Nokia on some aspects of its FRAND disputes with Daimler over the use of its Standard Essential Patents for certain technologies used in connected cars.
- Advising Consorzio di Tutela della Denominazione di Origine Prosecco, which is responsible for the promotion and commercialisation of Prosecco wine and the holder of the protected designation of origin “Prosecco” on enforcing the PDO rights against several Polish wine distributors.
- Advising Chomikuj.pl, owned by FS File Solutions on all contentious matters related to the platform.
Szymon Gogulski and life sciences specialist Ewa Skrzydło-Tefelska head the IP practice at Soltysinski Kawecki & Szlezak, which has both domestic and cross-border capabilities. The team is adept at representing clients in disputes before before EUIPO and CJEU regarding trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition and domain name infringement matters. Additionally, it provides legal support to the IT industry, manages international IP portfolios and handles IP protection matters and transactions. Jacek Myszko is a notable team member advising clients in the pharmaceutical, medical device and food products sectors on regulatory projects. The team has been further bolstered by the addition of Marek Oleksyn in September 2021.
Other key lawyers:
‘Accessible, knowledgeable, reliable, and a pleasure to deal with.’
‘We have been working with Arkadiusz Wójtowicz on various trademark matters in the automotive industry. He is very responsive and provides clear and concise advice.’
‘SKS is an excellent firm. We have worked with their IP team and all went smoothly. SKS lawyers are outstanding professionals, have a long-standing experience, perfect English skills and are extremely responsive. Fees are clear and transparent. We would recommend SKS to any of our clients doing business in Poland.’
‘I have had consistently good advice from the team.’
‘Ewa Skrzdlo-Tefelska is a great lawyer, she deserves full respect. She does not only have academic knowledge but can transform that knowledge into effective advice.’
‘Ewa Skrzdlo-Tefelska is my “go to” person for trade mark questions in Poland.’
‘Szymon Gogulski – very knowledgeable and commercial. He has great integrity and impresses not only with his legal skills but with client service’
Podlaska Wytwórnia Wódek Polmos SA
Velvet Care Sp. z o.o.
Nesperta Sp. z o.o.
Inter Cars SA
PCC Rokita / PCC Exol
Spyke Technology Sp. z o.o.
Browar Fortuna Sp. z o.o.
Eurotel Sp. z o.o.
Authentic Brands Group
- Represented Cinkciarz.pl in front of the General Court of the EU in appeal proceedings against a decision of EUIPO refusing to grant protection to a trademark comprising of a logo composed of two overlapping circles with the symbols of the Euro and the US Dollar.
- Represented Eurocash in several trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Advised Podlaska Wytwórnia Wódek Polmos SA on the trademark for Chopin.
Traple Konarski Podrecki & Partners's IP team supports clients across a range of matters, including trademarks, patents, advertising, copyright and anti-counterfeiting. The team’s strength also lies in disputes before the Polish Patent Office, EUIPO and Polish courts, and pre-dispute matters. Pawel Podrecki heads the team. Anna Sokołowska-Ławniczak who has ‘extensive knowledge of different IP law fields’ and Tomasz Targosz, who is praised for his ‘excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector’ are also lawyers of note.
Other key lawyers:
Anna Sokołowska-Ławniczak;Tomasz Targosz
‘The lawyers at Traple Konarski Podrecki i Wspólnicy are not only very well prepared to work with a client and cooperate with other entities, but they also have high soft skills, meaning it is easy to conduct a dialogue with them. In their work, they make use of new technologies both when it comes to contact with the client in matters of content and when settling accounts.’
‘Always flexible with a business-oriented approach for managing legal tasks, fast responsiveness and a strong team.’
‘The staff give a feeling of trust and confidence to their clients, they are operating very fast in a wise way, being effective in their work and being very friendly to the firms and people who entrusted them to solve their problems in a legal way.’
‘Very good level of knowledge and experience.’
‘Every person in TKP is always keenly interested in the matters which it pursues, they’re quick to deal with issues, always thoroughly analyse the facts without skipping any detail, and they’re a very competent and helpful team.’
‘Tomasz Targosz, thanks to his excellent knowledge of the pharmaceutical sector, especially in view of patent matters, provides a high-end support. His many years of hands-on experience allows him to deal with the most complicated legal cases, including court cases, in a very efficient and orderly way.’
‘Tomasz Targosz has also a gift of presenting even very complex legal considerations in a simple and concise manner, which translates into an unambiguous presentation of the situation for business, and as a consequence, shortens and simplifies the in-house decision-making process.’
‘I worked with Anna Sokolowska Lawniczak and really appreciated her dedication to the client, care for detail and extensive knowledge of different IP law fields (we worked both on design and patent matters). Certainly a lawyer to recommend.’
Lotte Wedel sp. z o.o.
MASPEX Group S.A.
Stowarzyszenie Filmowców Polskich
Fundacja Darka Michalczewskiego
Van Pur S.A.
Polfa Tarchomin S.A.
ZF Polpharma S.A.
Blachprofil 2 sp. z o.o.
- Acting for Lotte Wedel on various IP matters including litigation.
- Representing Maspex Group sp. z o.o. in IP litigation, especially in trademark litigation regarding the TIGER brand.
- Advising the Polish Filmmakers Association on the implementation of a raft of laws relevant to copyright, rights applicable to online transmissions and in court proceedings against an entity who runs several dozen cinemas under the brand “Cinema City” in Poland.
Wardynski & Partners
Wardynski & Partners provides clients with a full range of advice regarding trademark, copyright, patent and design law, including unfair competition cases, domain name matters, trade secrets and transactions. The department also represents clients before courts and the Polish Patent Office, and has a particular focus on disputes regarding regular and non-traditional trademarks. Its client roster includes those from the luxury goods, fashion, cosmetics, food and beverages, pharmaceuticals, automotive and FMCG industries, ranging from start-up companies to well-established corporations. The team is jointly headed by Włodzimierz Szoszuk and Anna Pompe-Ciszewska.
‘Very professional, prompt accurate advice and very helpful.’
‘Highly responsive, practical advice and suggestions and very competent with legal issues and strategy.’
‘High quality, practical approach and good cost/benefit relation.’
‘Good work of Anna Pompe.’
Pilot Corporation of Europe
The Scotch Whisky Association
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- Represented the client in a matter of infringement of copyright and moral rights of the deceased artist painter Marek Żuławski against the Institute of National Remembrance.
- Acted for Gränges AB in a large transaction which was subject to European Commission clearance and involved verifying a portfolio of Aluminium Konin trademarks and designations and negotiating sale of those assets.
- Represented Scorpios Sp. z o.o. and successfully opposed the EU word trademark SOFIA as clashing with the word-graphic trademark SOPHIA.
Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k.
The IP practice at Allen & Overy, A. Pedzich sp. k. has strengths in handling major patent litigation, enforcement and infringement in addition to advising on significant non-contentious matters such as transactional mandates involving core IP assets. The team is particularly active in the life sciences sector, advising core pharmaceutical clients as well as telecoms companies. Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozlowska leads the practice with her client roster including both domestic and international companies. Senior associates Justyna Ostrowska and Michał Gajdus are also key members of the team.
‘Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozlowska and Michal Gajdus are clearly outstanding. Both are dedicated to the matter, highly professional, highly experienced, stick to timelines, easy accessible and highly responsive, easy to work with also in a larger (cross-border) team. It is a pleasure to work with them.’
‘Allen & Overy provides the highest possible level of advice. The IP team is very skilled not only in the field of intellectual properyy law but also broadly in the scope of litigation.’
‘I have cooperated with Krystyna Szczepanowska-Kozlowska and Michal Gajdus. Both are exceptionally intelligent and engaged attorneys They always provide advice based on the newest case-law. They are both very responsive, creative and business-oriented. As a client I am always sure that these attorneys have full control over the case and all the details.’
Polski Fundusz Rozwoju
- Advised Novartis on a multi-jurisdictional case concerning intermediary and subsidiary liability for patent infringement in Poland.
- Advising Bayer on the protection of a patent infringed by public entities that procured the infringing products via public tender proceedings.
- Represented Multikino, a large cinema operator, in a significant dispute regarding its domestic collective management organisation.
IP enforcement specialist Tomasz Koryzma heads the practice at CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang Posniak i Bejm sp.k.. The fashion and luxury goods, chemical and pharmaceutical and technology sectors are core focuses of the team, and trademark enforcement is a key part of the team’s offering, as well as trademark prosecution. The practice also recently expanded its offering, and now handles portfolio management for the team’s global clients. Senior associate Aleksandra Kuźnicka-Cholewa is another key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Aleksandra Kuźnicka-Cholewa; Karina Zielińska-Piątkowska; Maciej Olejnik; Alicja Zalewska-Orabona
‘Vast capacity, high competence and professionalism, orientation on business gains. The team is a unique blend of young, energetic lawyers and senior staff with unique legal and business experience.’
‘All the lawyers we work with at CMS Poland are personally committed to us and always interested to meet with us, hear about our views and business developments, and discuss ways of how we can improve our collaboration and the service that they are offering us.’
‘They are genuine experts in their fields, knowledgeable about the issues we are currently facing, and pro-active in identifying potential new legal threats that may lie just around the corner.’
‘They are great at listening to us in order to manage our expectations, understand our needs and deliver value for us.’
‘We were further impressed with the firm’s sense of communication and urgency.’
‘CMS Poland has been a tremendous asset for our company and allowed us to be confident and aggressive in our IP pursuits.’
‘The personal attention and breadth of knowledge that they bring to the table in trade mark law is consistent and greatly appreciated.’
‘They demonstrate expertise across all relevant IP legislation and deliver timely, cost effective and practical commercial advice and have been instrumental in helping us with legal and strategic decisions.’
Lilou sp. z o.o.
- Advising L’Oréal as an exclusive IP enforcement and anti-counterfeiting advisor in Poland.
- Represented ITP in both patent and trademark related cases.
- Advising HP on a countrywide IP protection project aimed at enforcing its patents against producers and importers of patent-infringing ink cartridges.
Dentons provides a full IP service to clients and has a highly regarded trademark prosecution practice; the team has established itself as a main adviser and portfolio manager for many companies. The practice also advises on trademark enforcement, patent and trademark litigations, licensing and transactions. Karol Laskowski leads the team, and is supported by counsel Marek Trojnarski and Aleksandra Politańska-Kunicka.
Other key lawyers:
Marek Trojnarski; Aleksandra Politańska-Kunicka
‘Excellent legal services, taking into account the client’s business needs.’
‘Marek Trojnarski is an excellent lawyer with a lot of expertise, professional experience and is always willing to help.’
The Coca-Cola Company
Fibo AS, Industriveien
Viacom International Media Networks
Agencja Rozwoju Przemysłu
Media IP Rights
DLA Piper handles the full range of IP matters for domestic and international clients, spanning patents, trademarks, copyrights and unfair competition disputes in areas including fashion and new technologies and highly regulated industries such as banking, insurance and healthcare. Ewa Kurowska-Tober is head of the department with a focus on copyrights, trademarks, unfair competition and advertising law. Counsel Krystian Maciaszek and senior associates Olga Leśniewska and Alicja Woln are also core members of the group.
‘A good ability to organise and motivate the team, persistence in making the achievement of projects possible, and putting the extra time for completion of projects.’
‘Motivation, experience and attitude to work are strengths of the team.’
‘Good availability, collaboration, and timely responses.’
‘I have worked mainly with Krystian Maciaszek – very professional, outstandingly polite, responsive and helpful.’
‘Krystian Maciaszek is honest, has great technical knowledge of the law, is available and has good time responses.’
Benjamin Moore & Co, B. M. Polska
Levi Strauss & Co.
Republic Technologies International
- Representing Zofia Chylak-Widmańska in IP matters, including handling several pre-trial and court cases against entities who offer products infringing the client’s rights.
- Representing Benjamin Moore & Co. and its Polish distributor in preliminary injunction and main court proceedings related to a trademark infringement matter.
- Representing a large clothing and apparel brands in a trademark infringement case related to a dispute around the termination of several commissionaire agreements concluded by the client’s subsidiary with Poland-based agents.
The IP team at DWF Poland Jamka Sp.k is capable of handling large and complex copyright and trademark project management mandates, litigation, enforcement and unfair competition, as well as supporting IP-related transactions. The team is particularly adept at working for clients in the entertainment industry, including audio-visual producers, publishers, broadcasters and artists. Oskar Tułodziecki, counsel Marta Wysokińska and senior associate Anna Wietrzyńska-Ciołkowsk are the key names.
‘The DWF Poland Jamka sp.k. Intellectual Property practice provides a very high level of service.’
‘Extremely knowledgeable, careful, precise in research and opinions, with excellent business judgement and real-world skills.’
‘DWF´s team is excellent in the IP area.’
‘DWF provides excellent legal service in Poland and is extremely knowledgeable in many different aspects of IP. We have only worked with them in the field of Intellectual Property and were extremely satisfied.’
‘Oskar Tułodziecki is an experienced lawyer in copyright and IP matters, and has in the past very skilfully navigated both Polish and international clients through complex litigation matters with his team. He also has excellent client relationships. I fully trust his judgement and advice, and know clients are in good hands.’
‘Oskar Tułodziecki and Marta Wysokińska provide solid and straight-to-the-point advice. They also manage extremely well cross border cases and have an in depth knowledge of the entertainment industry.’
‘Oskar Tułodziecki is a great professional with deep knowledge and experience in the IP area, and our cooperation has been always very beneficial to the respective clients.’
‘Oskar Tułodziecki is extremely knowledgeable, careful, precise in his research and opinions, with excellent business judgement and real-world skills. In addition to being very smart and knowledgeable about intellectual property law both in Europe and in the US, he is an excellent negotiator with good business judgement, people skills, and a strategic approach to problems.’
Motion Picture Licensing Company
Polska Fundacja Narodowa
CentralNic Group plc
Polish History Museum
- Assisted Costa Coffee regarding the coordination and supervision of a 13-territory project regarding third party trademark use in terms of TM and competition law.
- Assisted the Motion Picture Licensing Company in concluding license agreements (also by way of enforcement actions) and advised on the possible scope of exploitation and licensing of the motion pictures by way of using copies already made available to the public and running the necessary cross checks on statutory licenses vs. lack of license.
- Assisted Polska Fundacja Narodowa in multiple matters regarding promotion of Poland and its goodwill inter alia by way of preparing a legal framework for production in the US and distribution worldwide of two documentaries.
Hasik, Rheims & Partners
IP and media law boutique firm Hasik, Rheims & Partners has expertise in trademark enforcement, notably relating to sporting events, anti-counterfeiting strategies and IP infringement cases and copyright and patent disputes. Additionally, the practice advises on music law and issues relating to copyright collective societies, areas where Aleksandra Sewerynik is particularly active. Daniel Hasik, Eric Rheims and Anna Kruszewska jointly lead the team. Patent litigator Norbert Walasek joined the team from Wardynski & Partners and senior associate Joanna Wozniak is also notable.
‘They are the best IP litigation team in Poland. They know IP really well, know how to write complaints and how to negotiate. We work with them on every complex IP litigation case in Poland.’
‘HRP team is very committed to their work, they have a very individual and professional approach, they conduct through analysis of cases and provide realistic and pragmatic feedback.’
‘ HRP always comes well prepared for cases (100% success ratio as for now). What is very exceptional is that the majority of our cases are resolved through well conducted negotiations and agreements which saves a lot of unwelcome stress and time consuming process when court is involved. Their approach to negotiations is most appreciated.’
‘Excellent team. Top in country and best experience I have had in continental Europe. Diligent, detail oriented, timely, transparent in pricing, consistent, and always extremely logical.’
‘Anna Kruszewska is extremely knowledgeable, strategic, communicative, on point, gets to the heart of issues expeditiously, doesn’t take shortcuts and does the work to where it needs to be to effect the positive outcomes.’
Daniel Hasik is a great strategist, he can plan an effective IP protection strategy no matter what is the development phase of the product to be protected. He also embraces all aspects of IP protection and can quickly point out and address major issues.’
‘Daniel Hasik is the leading figure, with strategical thinking, experience in trademark and design enforcement. Nobert Weselek is a strong associate with deep knowledge and experience in enforcement.‘
‘Joanna Wozniak has expertise in IP law, is thorough, focused on the case and details, pragmatic in her opinions, and performs accurate and in-depth assessments over cases. Daniel Hasik – expertise in IP law, great overview of the case from various perspectives, very detailed in opinions and input over cases both locally and internationally.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Tangle Teezer Ltd.
Association of Polish Broadcasting Employers “MOC TV”
Association of Broadcasting Employers “MOC RADIO”
MIT Enterprise Forum CEE
- Acting for Secto Design against diverse imitation on the grounds of copyright and unfair competition in a series of disputes.
- Acted for CD Projekt in a dispute regarding Sapkowski’s request for royalty payments to CD Projekt of EUR15m as additional renumeration for the right to use Wiedzimin as a basis for the games concerning the Witcher series.
- Represented ACO Group in a patent infringement case. regarding Hauraton’s infringement of the patent in Mexico, Germany, France and Poland.
The team at Kochanski & Partners is led by founder and senior managing partner Piotr Kochanski, Karolina Marciniszyn and Krzysztof Zieba, head of the FMCG, retail and automotive and trade and distribution group. The team is adept at defending and filling trademarks and patents, as well as IP-related transactions, particularly for clients in the pharmaceutical, media and FMCG sectors.
‘Kochanski & Partners is a national law firm with a strong foothold in the local Polish market, yet with an outstanding international network and a wonderful IP team.’
‘The firm impresses in particular with its incredibly swift, outstandingly expert handling of cases and the trustworthy way in which it deals with our clientele at all times. They can rely completely on legal experts of Kochanski & Partners.’
‘The firm has been our first point of contact for IP issues in Poland for over ten years. It is obviously one of the best addresses there.’
‘We count our contacts there, Karolina Marciniszyn and Krzysztof Zieba, among the best IP lawyers in Poland. They are extremely experienced, have a huge amount of knowledge and great strategic skills, work in a targeted and clear manner, are impressively responsive and so are obviously the first port of call for IP issues in Poland for us.’
‘Responsive, proactive and commercially minded.’
Coca-Cola HBC Polska
Ringier Axel Springer Polska
Kerry Luxembourg S.a.r.l.
Haston City Hotel
Froneri International Limited
- Advising Natural Pharmaceuticals on IP matters including trademark prosecution, infringement and opposition.
- Representing Hasco in numerous litigations including trademark cancellations, oppositions and patent infringements.
- Representing Ringier Axel Springer Polska in numerous litigation cases, including trademark and domain name disputes, and landmark cases.
Kondrat & Partners
IP and pharmaceutical law expert Mariusz Kondrat, Andrzej Przytuła, Magdalena Jezierska-Zięba and Ewa Niesiobędzka-Krause jointly lead the patents and trademarks team at Kondrat & Partners. The group handles domestic and cross-border matters, including trademark matters for pharmaceutical companies and litigation cases involving infringement, look-a-like and fake products and counterfeit goods. The team is adept at representing clients before the Polish Patent Office, EPO, EUIPO and WIPO.
Alvogen Pharma Trading
- Advising US Pharmacia on searching, applying, filing and registering trademarks in Poland and globally.
- Advising Olimp Labs on searching, applying, filing and registering trademarks.
- Advising P4 on registering trademarks before the Polish Patent Office and EUIPO.
The IP department at Czyzewscy Kancelaria Adwokacka handles mandates for clients in the film, TV, media, publishing, video gaming and music industries. Recently, the group has handled book to film adaptations, clearing rights and OTT distribution. The department is led by Krzysztof Czyżewski and senior associate Dariusz Tarabasz, who handle both transactions and court proceedings.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has wide practical knowledge and is smart and available.’
‘Straightforward and straight to the point advice.’
‘I think this the team’s strength is in technology and collaboration. Also very personal approach to all cases.’
‘They are flexible and brilliant and never ever let me down.’
‘Krzysztof Czyżewski is always available when needed, even when out of the office. He takes the time to explain all the details of procedures.’
‘Most efficient lawyers I’ve worked with. Extremely fast and professional at the same time.‘
‘I work mostly with Krzysztof Czyżewski and he is simply the best.’
Ringier Axel Springer
- Represented HBO in a court case concerning the use of a location site in a TV series.
- Acted for Telemark as production counsel in three TV series produced for Netflix.
- Successfully represented Wydawnictwo Pascal against trademark, copyright, unfair competition and title claims against a newly released book.
Domanski Zakrzewski Palinka‘s IP practice is adept at representing clients in IP disputes and opposition proceedings covering trademarks, copyright, designs and patents. The team has particular expertise in copyright matters regarding architectural works, computer programs, films and music, as well as representing clients in registering and monitoring EU matters. Aleksandra Auleytner heads the department.
Golden Media Polska
Grupa Łódź Kaliska
- Represented FoodCare Poland relating to disputes concerning two of its most significant brands, Tiger and Frugo.
- Advised Olimp Laboratories Sp. z o.o. on trademark infringement claims in connection with the client’s pharmaceutical products portfolio and represented the client during the trademark infringement court proceedings.
- Acting for Golden Media on the infringements of trademarks of a prime-time TV show.
JWP Patent & Trademark Attorneys sp.k.
Specialist IP firm JWP Patent & Trademark Attorneys sp.k. fields a strong set of senior lawyers: managing partner and litigator Dorota Rzazewska, head of the IP litigation department Tomasz Grucelski, head of the life sciences patent group Piotr Godlewski, and head of the trademark practice Magdalena Maksimowska. The team handles patents, trademarks, designs and copyright-related mandates for clients across a wide range of sectors, frequently advising on filing, prosecution, portfolio management, due diligence and transactional matters.
‘Tomasz Grucelski: excellent lawyer.‘
‘Highest standards, practical, innovative and client-tailored approach, sensibly selecting proper tools to maximize protection of our rights in the challenging reality.‘
‘Professionals with both in-depth legal knowledge and extensive experience, very creative and always enthusiastic lawyers that can guide you to achieve your company’s goals. You are always left with the feeling that they are your perfect choice.‘
‘The team is very responsive, flexible and open to discussion so as to establish a creative solution that goes beyond your expectations.‘
‘Tomasz Grucelski, who handles our infringement issues and represents us in court litigations, is always personally involved and absolutely devoted to the case at hand, reaching the highest levels of professionalism in conflict resolutions.‘
‘The service Tomasz Grucelski provides is truly outstanding, he really makes a difference.‘
‘They are transparent, professional, they know how to handle cases and you always know what you pay for.’
‘Special mention to the leading expert Dorota Rzazewska. She knows trademark law inside out, making her an outstanding expert in the field. She has very good knowledge of Polish and also European legal practices.‘
CD Projekt S.A.
Polfa Tarchomin S.A.
Nutropharma sp. z o.o.
ADAMED PHARMA S.A.
GERDA sp. z o.o.
Smithfield Polska sp z o.o.
Animex Foods Sp z o.o.
Promatic Group sp z o.o.
INTERMAG sp. z o.o.
Sevroll-System sp. z o.o.
Astin Sp. z o.o.
Balex Metal Sp z o.o.
Amocarat sp z o.o.
Mactronic sp z o.o. sp. k.
Zenner Poland sp. z o.o.
Europejski Fundusz Leasingowy S.A.
Biogradex Holding sp zo.o.
Neel sp zo.o.
Centre for Technology Transfer CITTRU
Blachotrapez sp. z .o.o.
GRUPA WILMAR Marek Wilczyński S.K.A.
Polski Bank Komórek Macierzystych S.A.
LDS Lazewski Depo & Partners is adept at handling patent and trademark litigation, as well as providing day-to-day advice to clients. Marek Lazewski is particularly strong in handling the IP management of pharmaceutical products as well as trademark enforcement strategies. Michal Siciarek is skilled in litigation concerning copyright and unfair competition.
Other key lawyers:
‘I found them absolutely professional and very precise and effective.’
‘If somebody has an IP case in Poland, I can really recommend them.’
‘The law firm LDS is our preferred lawyer for any trademark matters taking place in Poland.’
‘We receive excellent assessments in a very short turnaround time.’
‘The advice we receive is always on point, not too short, not too long and business oriented.’
‘The LDS team is available on short note for urgent matters and also under pressure they provide a great result.’
‘Marek Lazewski is a great litigator and always comes up with good ideas, strategies and possible steps, also in complex cases. He is very clear on giving advices and creates a confident and positive attitude. Marek also handles prosecution cases the same way and is our go-to person for any trademark matter.’
‘Michał Rybarczyk gives very clear and helpful advice on complex matters. He is very efficient and understands the business concept very well, so that we feel to be in good hands.’
UAB “SCT Lubricants”
- Representing UAB “SCT Lubricants” in the invalidity proceedings instituted by Wolf Oil Corporation N.V before the Supreme Administrative Court.
- Acting for Aiwa Corporation in opposition proceedings against the national trademark application No. Z.486037 “AIWA” of AIWA CO., LTD in Poland.
LSW Bieńkowski, Laskowski, Leśnodorski, Melzacki and Partners sp.k.
Maciej Ślusarek and Maciej Kubiak co-chair the IP department at LSW Bieńkowski, Laskowski, Leśnodorski, Melzacki and Partners sp.k.. The team has a core focus on assisting with the acquisition of rights to use work subject to copyright, as well as advising on trademarks, patents and designs, negotiating contracts and handling disputes in the IP space. Its client roster includes advertising and PR agencies, media houses and video content producers.
Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Krajowa Izba Producentów Audiowizualnych
Vicis New Investments S.A.
Watchout Studio sp. z o.o.
Polska Izba Książki
Gemini Polska sp. z o. o.
Instytut Monitorowania Mediów
House Media Company sp. z o.o.
Platige Image S.A.
Ego Film sp. z o.o.
Mr Andrzej Krzywy and Mr Piotr Kubiaczyk
Ekipa Prime sp. z o.o.
Animoon sp. z o.o
- Advising Rochstar on acquiring rights, development, production, and exploitation of numerous prime-time TV shows.
- Representing Chłopi sp. z o.o., the producer of the film The Peasants based on the Nobel prize-winning novel by Władysław Reymont, with the script adaptation written by Dorota Welchman and Hugh Welchmann.
- Advising Ekipa during the production of sequels The Day and Another 365 Days that will be distributed by Netflix.
Established in 2018, IP boutique Patpol Legal is adept at handling anti-counterfeiting issues and parallel import cases, as well as advising on unfair competition relating to patents, copyrights, trademarks and designs. It is especially recognised for its patent protection work for domestic and international clients. Dariusz Piróg heads up the practice.
Peikko Group Oy
Xerox Corporation and Xerox Polka Sp. z o.o.
EPEE Polska Sp. z o.o.
SEIKO HOLDINGS KABUSHIKI KAISHA
Harman International Industries, Inc.
- Representing Xerox regarding an opponent that was introducing to the market goods marked with trademarks Xerox is entitled to.
- Acted for Seiko in cases concerning parallel import of goods, in particular watches, marked with trademarks of which Seiko is the proprietor.
- Represented Harman in various criminal cases and custom seizures of counterfeited JBL and Harman/Kardon products, marked with the client’s trademarks.
WKB Wiercinski, Kwiecinski, Baehr‘s IP practice advises domestic and international clients active in the media, online services and life sciences sectors. Disputes expert Agnieszka Wiercińska-Krużewska heads up the department, advising on copyright, industrial property and unfair competition. She is supported by managing associates Paulina Maślak-Stępnikowska, Aleksandra Bączykowska and Emanuel Wanat.
‘I can trust every piece of advice provided by WKB.’
‘The perfect collaboration between the experts within WKB ensures that we receive a comprehensive legal advice covering several different areas of law.’
‘I highly recommend cooperation with the WKB corporate team, which are always available and provide high quality legal assistance even on short deadlines.’
Kobalt Music Rights Agency Limited
Wolters Kluwer Polska Sp. z o.o.
XL Energy Marketing sp. z o.o.
X-Trade Brokers S.A.
- Advised Giant Ventures on the Polish aspects of its investment into Airly sp. z o.o. and provided comprehensive legal support during the entire transaction process, in particular undertaking a legal due diligence of the company, as well as providing support in negotiating transaction documents.
- Advised Orkla Group on the sale of its Polish skin care business, including the Soraya and Dermika brands, to Bielenda.
- Representing Kobalt Music in the action against a Polish collecting society SAWP for the payment of foreign artists’ royalties.
Drzewiecki, Tomaszek i Wspólnicy Sp.k.
Andrzej Tomaszek leads the team IP department at Drzewiecki, Tomaszek i Wspólnicy Sp.k.; he has expertise in acting for clients in the food, automotive, electronic, construction, textile, chemical and pharmaceutical, publishing and entertainment industries. Krzysztof Szczecina and Justyna Karsz-Piwko are also key team members.
International Olympic Committee
Leithart AG Schweiz and and The Lorenz Balsen Snack-World
Sp. z o.o.
Honda Motor Co. Ltd
Red Bull Polska sp.o.o.
- Providing Red Bull Polska sp.o.o. with day-to-day legal advice on licence agreements in the field of intellectual property and trademarks.
- Represented the International Olympic Committee in opposition proceedings before the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland.
- Acted for Honda Motor Co. Ltd as injured parties in numerous criminal cases regarding the trade of goods marked with counterfeited trademarks
The team at EY Law advises clients on the implementation and protection of IP rights and customs protection of EU IP rights, as well as conducting litigation, including counterfeiting cases, and assisting with IP transfers and licensing. Technology expert Justyna Wilczynska-Baraniak leads the practice with expertise in global strategic IP advisory work and litigation provided for multinational clients from various sectors on brand protection within the EU.
‘Prompt communication to the client regarding the risks and processes in advance.’
‘Willing to help the client, informing the clients on the potential matters or issues during projects and prompt support for the case of challenges’
‘Justyna Wilczynska-Baraniak managed to build a strong IP team that is recognised in the Polish market.’
‘I work with Justyna Wilczynska-Baraniak for more than 5 years. She focuses on AI and data and she is well recognised in this field. She is a good and smart lawyer and skilled litigator. It is good to have her in your team. Always diligent and well prepared for the case.’
Da Grasso Sp. z o.o.
- Advised a multinational mass media television company on a transfer of IP, joint ownership and leasing of IP.
- Represent Da Grasso in a recent dispute with its former co-worker and franchise owner concerning acts of unfair competition related to software programs and trademark infringement.
- Advised Fitbit Inc. on enforcement actions on e-commerce platforms.
Kulikowska & Kulikowski
Specialist IP firm Kulikowska & Kulikowski is strong in litigation and is split into two teams – the trademark practice led by co-founder Jarosław Kulikowski and the patent team jointly chaired by co-founder Paweł Kulikowski and Alicja Piotrowicz. Other names of note include Monika Witkowska, who specialises in industrial design litigation, and Beata Wojtkowska, who thrives in trademark protection matters, especially regarding distinctiveness and reputation.
‘They are direct, business focused and pragmatic.’
‘High level of experience and knowledge, very open relation.’
‘The firm provides highly-qualified legal support and customer-focused advice.’
‘The firm combines incredible depth and an impressive understanding of intellectual property.’
‘A mix of full professionalism, knowledge and a family-like atmosphere is a key factor that I value in our business relationship.’
‘A very open-minded team and very creative.’
‘They are very reactive and proactive and their advices are always exhaustive. In addition, their fees are very reasonable.’
‘We notably worked with Monika Witkowska to obtain the withdrawal of counterfeits on selling platforms with great success. The products were speedily withdrawn and the client was very happy with the results obtained by this firm at a reasonable cost.’
Procter & Gamble companies
Philip Morris International
Mute Creative Design Group
- Acting for Intersnack Poland sp. z o. o. in a case of infringement of the shape of crisps, registered as a 3D trademark.
- Advising VDS Czmyr Kowalik sp.k. on the handling of a design infringement case concerning a door handle for a fittings manufacturer.
RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners
Aneta Pankowska heads the department at RKKW – Kwasnicki, Wrobel & Partners. The team handles transactional matters as well as litigation for domestic and international clients in the media, information technology, food, cosmetics, textiles and automotive sectors. The team's workload includes advising on copyright protection, unfair competition, protection of personal data and the protection of personal rights.
Other key lawyers:
Aleksandra Staniaszek; Marcin Michalik
‘RKKW has a team of experienced lawyers who have extensive knowledge, are characterised by professionalism and have a full understanding of the needs of the client.’
‘One step ahead and anticipate and prevent potential negative actions from the opponents.’
‘RKKW distinguishes itself from other law firms by securing the interests of the company in all areas in terms of protecting the personal rights of the company and its managers, and ability to foresee and remedy possible scenarios, to manage the team, and above all, to actively seek the best solution.’
‘Throughout our cooperation, the RKKW’s team has demonstrated excellent skills in preparing analyses, court submissions, opinions, and conducting legal research.’
‘Since the beginning of our cooperation, the services provided by RKKW have been at the highest level of professionalism.’
‘Aneta Pankowska: We appreciate her professionalism, involvement, individual approach to our cases, and great managerial skills. Thanks to her considered and simultaneously prompt legal actions, our company successfully opposes any actions that unlawfully violate its personal rights.’
‘Aleksandra Staniaszek supports litigation actions in disputes regarding the infringement of personal rights. She has experience in intellectual property litigation, which allows her to implement effective solutions to our company’s cases. We appreciate her precision and professionalism.’
‘Marcin Michalik’s out-of-the-box ideas, ease in presenting the client’s position during the proceedings, and excellent communication skills are highly distinctive.’
Gheorghe Marian Cristescu
The Historical Museum in Sanok
HCS sp. z o.o.
Tamara de Lempicka Estate LLC
Tar Heel Capital sp. z o.o.
- Representated a client specialising in 3D printing technology in proceedings connected with the unlawful use of trade secrets and placing on the market an innovative device constructed using trade secrets of the client.
- Representing the client in proceedings against employees and the competitor, who committed different acts of unfair competition against client’s interests.
- Assisted a client in all cases of copyright infringement, including by foreign entities.
SMM Legal‘s IP clients are active in the energy, R&D, telecoms, banking and healthcare sectors, and the team advises on transactional, regulatory and contentious matters, as well as trademark portfolio management. Head of the department Rafał Sikorski advises across a range of IP matters, including unfair competition cases and industrial property law.
‘SMM Legal’s IP team has a creative and bold approach to unprecedented and innovative cases. Moreover, they are able to put together interdisciplinary teams capable of solving the most complex, cross-sectional issues.’
‘The team provides the highest level of legal services in the field of intellectual property rights, taking into account the legal regulations and ecosystem in Poland, Europe and the world. The team presents proposals for legal solutions that are most effective tools for financing innovative R&D projects.’
‘Rafał Sikorski is an IP and competition law specialist with a unique combination of a great academic’s knowledge with seasoned practitioner’s experience.’
‘Rafał Sikorski has the courage to advise clients on innovative and complicated matters which have not yet been tested in practice.’
Stockmeier Chemia Sp. z o.o. i spółka sp. k.
Międzynarodowe Targi Poznańskie Sp. z o.o.
INT4 sp. z o.o. sp. k.
Polskie Wydawnictwo Rolnicze sp. z o.o.
- Advising IP2Innovate in matters related to the interpretation and development of EU law related to remedies in patent law, particularly patent law injunctions.
- Advising Spółdzielnia “Pokój” on unfair competition assessment of practices on the Polish market by one of the client’s competitors.
- Advised MPT Poznań Expo on the extension of its publishing business by acquiring the rights to two press titles and an internet site for the fitness sector from the previous publisher.
The IP team at Taylor Wessing Poland handles advisory, regulatory and litigation services, as well as trademark portfolio management and patent litigation strategies for clients in the gaming, e-commerce, energy, telecoms, healthcare and food sectors. Trademark tax restructuring expert Przemyslaw Walasek heads the group, supported by senior associates Agnieszka Sztoldman, who focuses on healthcare and life sciences expert, and Marcin Przybysz, who is particularly notable for IP infringements.
Other key lawyers:
Agnieszka Sztoldman; Marcin Przybysz
‘Taylor Wessing are professionals. The company always responds quickly to inquiries. The staff is client-oriented, polite and friendly. Taylor Wessing quickly and clearly resolve issues. I was pleased to cooperate with Taylor Wessing.’
‘Have used TW Poland for a number of TM matters, including TM opposition cases with very good results.’
‘The practice is very professional, client-centric and provides state-of-the-art advice on digital and personal data protection issues, which are very relevant for our organization.’
‘Przemylaw Walasek is highly experienced and versed in trademark matters.’
‘Przemyslaw Walasek is an outstanding professional.’
‘Every staff member is very approachable, helpful and professional.’
‘Value for work done is exceptional, as is the quality of service.’
‘Agnieszka Sztoldman and Przemyslaw Walasek are professionals in their field.’
TikTok Information Technologies UK Limited
Alois Dallmayr Kaffee oHG
Brand Loyalty Special Promotions B.V.
Primavera Life GmbH
ADAMA Agricultural Solutions Ltd.
Adamed Pharma Group
Heijmans Vastgoed B.V.
Perrigo International Inc.
- Advising TikTok Information Technologies UK Limited on various IP-related contentious matters.
- Advising Broadway Malyan on revising and negotiating its design project agreements with general constructors regarding transfer of copyrights to the design project.
- Acted for Heijmans Vastgoed B.V. in the enforcement of a preliminary injunction in the context of copyright infringement.
Wolf Theiss advises clients on patent, trademark and copyright litigation and protection strategies, as well as assisting with unfair competition law, internet domain name recovery, personal data security and structuring licensing agreements. M&A as it relates to IP assets is also within the team’s capabilities. Its client roster includes companies in the life sciences, technology, gaming and consumer goods sectors. The team is jointly led by Marcin Rudnik and Jakub Pietrasik.
‘The team is very knowledgeable and able to provide rapid response advice on cyber matters.’
‘Rapid replies to our requests and genuine care about customers.’
NOMAGIC Sp. z o.o.
Foundation “Czerwone Noski” Klown w Szpitalu
Vienna Insurance Group AG
PLUMERAI Sp. z o.o.
Trudell Medical Limited
Halifax Capital Partners
- Advising NOMAGIC on IP, IT and TMT matters.
- Representing “Czerwone Noski” Clown doctors in a trademark infringement case which is currently in the negotiation phase.
- Advised Vienna Insurance Group AG on its acquisition of Aegon’s insurance business in Hungary, Poland, Romania and Turkey, being responsible for all legal and regulatory aspects of the acquisition of the insurance business.