Dispute resolution in Pakistan
With offices in three different cities manned by two partners and five associates, Haidermota & Co Advocates has one of the leading litigation practices in the country. The group is recognised for its experience in handling complex commercial disputes of all types. It has considerable domestic and international arbitration expertise, as well as sector expertise in banking, telecoms, energy and other diverse areas such as fraud, white-collar crime and regulatory investigations. Kazim Hasan regularly represents banks before all the High Courts of Pakistan and has extensive experience of filing amalgamation and demerger petitions. Hasan also frequently represents clients before the Pakistani regulators. The team was strengthened by the addition of Jahanzeb Awan to its ranks from Khalid Anwer & Co..
Kazim Hasan; Jahanzeb Awan
Siza Foods (Pvt) Limited
United Bank Limited (Pakistan)
United Bank Limited (United Arab Emirates)
Capital Asset Leasing Corporation Limited
Commercial Bank International PSC (UAE)
Cybernet Pakistan (Private) Limited
TransAsia Refinery Ltd.
Pakistan Petroleum Provident Fund Trust Company (Private) Limited
- Advising Siza Foods in proceedings against the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority in the Sindh High Court.
- Representing United Bank (Pakistan) and United Bank (UAE) in proceedings before the Sindh High Court.
- Instituted proceedings under the terms of a vessel mortgage for Commercial Bank International in the admiralty division of the Sindh High Court.
- Issued a constitutional challenge to the validity of section 113-C of the Income Tax Ordinance.
- Instituted an appeal before the Sindh High Court against an order of the appellate bench of the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan.
Orr, Dignam & Co. covers the full array of contentious matters from mediation and arbitration through to civil litigation. The dedicated team advises major domestic and overseas clients and works closely in collaboration with a number of overseas counsel in international arbitrations. It is skilled at advising on a diverse range of matters from constitutional challenges to trade mark appeals and corporate disputes. The group acts for a broad range of clients including multinational companies, banks, multilateral agencies and public sector corporations. Sajid Zahid and Taha Aliz are leading figures in the market.
Sajid Zahid; Taha Aliz
- Acted for a major client in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration in Singapore.
- Defending TNT in ongoing litigation in the Sindh High Court relating to a contractual dispute.
- Continuing to advise Porsche Middle East and Africa FZE on various contentious issues.
- Successfully defended its client in a case in which the parties are now pursuing a settlement out of court.
- Representing a major company in a number of petitions filed before the Islamabad High Court by various independent power producers.
RIAA BARKER GILLETTE fields a ‘professional team’ that advises on the full array of contentious matters from its four offices in Pakistan. The team routinely represents a broad range of clients in the Supreme Court, High Courts, tribunals and other regulatory bodies. It also regularly represents its clients in the courts of first instance and in domestic and international arbitrations. With both Yousaf Khosa and Asma Hamid (who recently joined the team after serving as advocate general for the province of Punjab) at the helm, the practice is adept at handling all forms of civil, commercial, corporate and regulatory matters, including white-collar crime. Other senior additions to the team include Shafaq Rehman and Adil Tirmizey, who were promoted to the partnership.
Yousaf Khosa; Asma Hamid
Other key lawyers:
Omer Soomro; Mayhar Mustafa Kazi
‘It has a good and professional team that can provide a practical insight into Pakistani law and practices‘
‘Asma Hamid stays on top of matters and gives personal attention to cases‘
‘Omer Soomro and Mayhar Mustafa Kazi are both well equipped to handle cases professionally and with zeal. Both are very impressive and show a full command of their cases‘
The Hub Power Company Limited
Progas Pakistan Limited
Hydrochina International Engineering Company LTD Pakistan
Pakistan Chemists and Druggists Association
Syed Ali Haider Zaidi
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd
U. B. Chemicals Industries Co. Limited
Askari Bank Limited
Petroleum Exploration (Pvt.) Limited
- Advising Hub Power Company in a long-running dispute before the Sindh High Court over the set-off of payments under an agreement.
- Representing the Samsonite group in legal proceedings against a former distributor of its products.
- Representing Progas Pakistan in the filing of various petitions that involve complex constitutional questions such as challenging the scope of the judicial powers of various bodies.
- Advising Hydrochina International Engineering Company Pakistan on a challenge to the imposition of a super tax.
- Engaged by the Pakistan Chemists and Druggists Association to challenge certain aspects of a new drug pricing policy.
ABS & Co. handles all aspects of commercial disputes as well as constitutional cases. Core strengths lie in advising on construction disputes and disputes between private parties and sovereign states. Other areas of expertise include advising on disputes over copyright, trade mark and patent infringement, as well as disputes in the telecoms industry. The agile team is also known for its advice on disputes relating to national security and foreign investment. Islamabad-based Ahmer Bilal Soofi and Lahore-based Salman Hanif Rajput co-head the team. Waqas Aziz Qureshi left the firm to found his own company.
Ahmer Bilal Soofi; Salman Hanif Rajput
China Ocean Engineering Construction General Bureau (COECG)
Siddiq Sons Tinplates Limited
Quaid-e-Azam Thermal Power Limited
Punjab Thermal Power Limited
Samsons Group of Companies
Inland Water Transport Development Company
Water and Sanitation Agency, Lahore
National Bank of Pakistan
Habib Bank Limited
Mughals Pakistan Private Limited
Punjab Skills Development Fund
Punjab Population Innovation Fund
- Representing a general contractor in an arbitration regarding delays to a hotel project.
- Representing a company in a construction dispute relating to a gas field project.
- Successfully represented a client in a PKR2.5bn arbitral dispute over the construction of a hotel, which was considered under the terms of the Arbitration Act 1940.
- Appointed as amicus curiae in an extradition case by the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
- Represented a large thermal power generation company in a dispute regarding the take or pay clause that was stipulated in a gas and supply agreement.
Axis Law Chambers is especially well known for acting in major international arbitrations and constitutional challenges. It is also considered one of the ‘go to’ firms for antitrust, labour, procurement and insurance-related disputes. The team is also recognised for its expertise in administrative law issues, complex commercial issues such as shareholder disputes, and banking and finance cases, and receives a regular flow of instructions from leading foreign law firms. Names to note include Waqqas Mir, who is establishing a strong reputation in major constitutional cases.
Waqqas Mir; Syed Shahab Qutub; Sameer Khosa; Ali Zahid Rahim
‘Axis truly combines “international” law firm quality with unparalleled knowledge of local institutions and customs. Everyone with whom I worked at Axis was extremely responsive and clear, and understood the big picture within which we operated as well as being on top of the smallest details‘
‘The team is very dedicated, professional and efficient’
‘Ali Zahid Rahim possesses a very strong intellect and has a highly professional manner while being approachable and highly personable. He was on top of all the details of the case‘
‘Sameer Khosa was immediately on top of the details of the case, seeing it from all angles‘
Honda Atlas Cars (Pakistan) Limited
Laraib Energy (Pvt.) Limited
Zorlu Solar (Pakistan) Limited
Nizam Energy (Pvt.) Limited
Nishat Chunian Limited
Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan
Levi’s Strauss Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited
Pakistan Social Security and Health Management Company (PSSHMC)
- Represented a solar power company in the High Court in a challenge to various policy decisions taken by the Cabinet Committee on Energy.
- Successfully defended the Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) in the Lahore High Court in a challenge to a number of orders issued by the SECP.
- Advising Nishat Chunian Electric Company on various potential contractual claims.
- Engaged to represent Punjab Social Security Health Management Company in a public interest petition before the Lahore High Court challenging the setting up and running of government departments through public companies.
- Successfully challenged the legality and validity of a judgment and decree passed by the Islamabad Civil Court through which an arbitral award made against a power producer was made a rule of court.
FGE Ebrahim Hosain is skilled at handling complex commercial, civil and constitutional law disputes. The group regularly deals with disputes in the oil and gas sectors and advises on contentious matters relating to public procurement, construction and joint ventures. It also has considerable expertise in sports, real estate and shareholder disputes. Names to note include Zahid Ebrahim, Shabnam Noorali and Khwaja Hosain, who advises a wide range of clients, including independent power producers, multinational joint ventures, and foreign and local financial institutions and corporates on a whole host of contentious matters.
Khwaja Hosain; Zahid Ebrahim
Other key lawyers:
Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited
Pakistan Cricket Board
Peridot Developers (Pvt.) Limited
National Insurance Corporation Limited
National Fertilizer Corporation
Mindshare and Group M
Kuwait Real Estate Company Limited
Tourism Promotion Services Pakistan
Associated Biscuits International Limited
Arabtec Pvt Limited
- Successfully represented SNGPL before the Supreme Court of Pakistan in a challenge to the enforcement of various domestic arbitration awards.
- Acted as counsel for the Pakistan Cricket Board in a large claim for damages against the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- Acting as counsel for Peridot Estates Developers in the enforcement and recognition of a foreign arbitral award.
- Represented various private schools in a constitutional matter related to the right to do business and the regulation of fee increments by the provincial government.
- Represented Mindshare and GroupM in a challenge to the imposition of sales tax on certain services by the Punjab Revenue Authority.
Khalid Anwer & Co. has a strong reputation for its work on contentious matters. Clients range from Fortune 500 companies through to smaller corporate clients. Senior partner Khalid Anwer is a well-respected advocate of the Supreme Court, with many years' experience of appearing before the Superior Courts of Pakistan, and is widely regarded as a leading constitutional lawyer as well as having substantial expertise in commercial, taxation and real estate matters. Managing partner Raashid Anwer is another name to note.
Khalid Anwer; Raashid Anwer
- Successfully challenged price reduction notices issued to Pfizer Pakistan by the Drug Regulatory Authority of Pakistan before the Sindh High Court.
- Continuing to represent over 45 companies from various sectors before the Sindh High Court in challenges to the constitutionality of the Gas Infrastructure Development Cess Act 2015.
- Challenging the imposition of the Sindh infrastructure cess (a purported charge on all goods that are imported through and travelling across the province of Sindh) on behalf of various manufacturing companies.
- Represented a family in proceedings for the recovery of PKR1.2bn as payment for the acquisition of land.
- Advising on a challenge to the imposition of a super tax on foreign companies.
Ahmed & Qazi acts for a range of banks, brokers, fund managers and other participants in the financial services industry as well as media conglomerates. Head of litigation Bahzad Haider is an advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and has vast experience of advising on a range of commercial law issues before all five High Courts in Pakistan.
Khan & Associates regularly represents clients before the Pakistani courts and is currently handling numerous cases on the domestic enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgments. Mansoor Khan is a well-respected practitioner who regularly appears before the Lahore, Sindh and Islamabad High Courts as well as the Supreme Court of Pakistan. Khan is also well known for his work in international arbitrations - he has represented clients before the ICC and the ICSID tribunals.
Rana Sajjad Ahmad
Sajeel Mirza Mann & Shah deals with high-profile disputes, including contentious corporate matters and multi-jurisdictional cases. It has substantial experience in a wide range of commercial and financial disputes, as well as professional liability, construction, insurance, property and personal injury cases. In addition, the firm has developed special expertise in arbitration and mediation matters and all aspects of alternative dispute resolution. Islamabad-based Hasan Murtaza Mann is a High Court advocate. Taimur A. Mirza is the Karachi office managing partner and Sajeel Sheryar is the managing partner for the Islamabad office.
Aitzaz Ahsan & Associates handles a broad range of complex civil litigation, including large contractual disputes as well as both domestic and international arbitrations. The group also advises on constitutional matters and has particular expertise in white-collar crime and corporate disputes. Founding partner Aitzaz Ahsan is a key member of the team.
Abdul Sattar Pirzada heads the team at Hafeez Pirzada Law Associates. The barristers and advocates at the firm regularly appear before the Superior Courts of Pakistan and have successfully acted in both domestic and international arbitration matters. In addition, the team regularly advises on criminal matters.
Abdul Sattar Pirzada
- Successfully represented the Pakistan Sugar Mills Association in a constitutional petition relating to the legality, validity and constitutionality of a notification about the minimum price of sugarcane for the 2018-19 crushing season.
- Represented Sanofi-Aventis Pakistan in a constitutional challenge to a notice issued by the federal government relating to the maximum retail prices of some of the company’s brands.
- Successfully represented Stillman Company in a matter relating to the infringement of its registered copyright.
Meer & Hasan Law Associates handles all aspects of litigation from cases in the lower courts through to the Supreme Court of Pakistan. It has advised on a myriad of civil, criminal and constitutional matters as well as cases in other areas such as labour and intellectual property. Senior partner Farooq Amjad Meer is the name to note.
Other key lawyers:
Under the direction of Arshad Tayebaly the team at Mohsin Tayebaly & Co has extensive experience in banking and finance litigation as well as contentious company law matters. The adept team has recently handled several constitutional, civil and commercial matters before the Supreme Court and is currently representing clients in international arbitrations under the ICC Rules of Arbitration and the arbitration rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre as well as several local arbitrations. In addition, the team specialises in advising on cases relating to competition law.
Multinet Pakistan (Pvt) Limited
Van Oord Dredging and Marine Contractors
DV COM DATA (PRIVATE) LIMITED
GULF MINERAL FZE (PRIVATE) LIMITED
Aisha Steel Mills Limited
Habib Bank Limited
- Advising Multinet Pakistan (Pvt) Limited in challenging the demands of the National Highway Authority for the payment of dues relating to the use of a right of way for the laying of optical fibre cables along the national highways network.
- Advising its client on the filing of a petition before the Hon’ble High Court of Sindh at Karachi against, amongst other parties, Sindh Revenue Board and Trustees of Karachi Port Trust.
- Advising its client on a challenge to a notice of suspension that was issued by the department of Director General, Mines and Minerals Balochistan
- Representing the residents of Old Clifton, Karachi who have filed several suits that are pending before the High Court of Sindh at Karachi challenging the illegal use of residential premises for commercial or amenity purposes.