Dispute resolution in Pakistan
Axis Law Chambers
Axis Law Chambers has a strong and varied practice with considerable strength in international arbitration. It is also emerging as one of the top firms for power sector disputes and is widely acknowledged for its expertise in cases involving constitutional challenges. Other strengths lie in disputes over international trade law, human rights litigation, and environmental law. It is now one of the ‘go-to’ firms for dispute resolution in matters relating to insurance, anti-trust, labour, and procurement-related disputes. The team also garners praise for its experience in advising on all aspects of regulatory and administrative law disputes. Waqqas Mir, Sameer Khosa, and Syed Shahab Qutub are all seasoned litigators.
‘Members of the team are readily accessible. More importantly, they prepare the cases with diligence and pursue with conviction‘.
‘The individuals who we have worked with have been outstanding in listening to us, in their comprehension of the nature of the issues, and also in their advice to us while going along. We have the impression that all members of the team would do likewise, therefore, feel unfair to compare with others in this firm. Compared to the competitors, we feel assured that we are dealing with a capable and professional team‘.
National Transmission and Despatch Company
Independent Media Corporation
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
Levi Strauss Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd
Federal Board of Revenue
M/s Honda Atlas Cars (Pakistan) Ltd
Pakistan Telecommunication Company Limited
Diamond Paints (Pvt.) Ltd
Huaneng Shandong Ruyi (Pakistan) Energy (Pvt.) Limited
Laraib Energy Ltd.
Infrastructure Development Authority of Punjab (IDAP)
Government of Balochistan
Addleshaw Goddard, LLP
Sinotec Co. Limited
Essem Hotels Limited
Power Construction Corporation of China
Coca-Cola Beverages Pakistan Ltd
School for Contemporary and Islamic Learning
- Successfully represented the National Transmission and Despatch Company (“NTDC”) against an Iranian corporation, in a power sector arbitration under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce, Paris (“ICC”) before an ICC appointed arbitral Tribunal and won an award for damages and compensation worth an estimated $4.5m.
- Representing four broadcasters in a constitutional petition before the Lahore High Court challenging an auction that was held by the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) and its subsequent decision to issue the new licenses for the Satellite Television Broadcast – the petition raises significant questions about the role of the electronic media regulator including its statutory duty to exercise discretion in a structured manner, and to establish a transparent licensing framework.
- Acting in a significant public interest action that has been filed before the High Court to challenge the practice of state functionaries of conducting virginity tests and intrusive examinations of victims / complainants of sexual assault.
With offices in three different cities and manned by two partners and five associates Haidermota & Co Advocates fields a large and well-recognised litigation team. Under the leadership of Kazim Hasan and Jahanzeb Awan the group is well placed to handle all aspects of complex commercial disputes with particular sector expertise in areas as diverse as banking, telecoms, white-collar crime and constitutional law. It is also skilled at assisting in both domestic and international arbitrations. Hasan regularly represents banks in recovery cases before all the High Courts of Pakistan. Awan frequently appears before the Supreme Court of Pakistan and the High Courts of Sindh, Islamabad, Lahore and Perhawar on a broad range of contentious matters.
‘Haidermota & Co is a highly reputable law firm comprising of professionally competent lawyers. The lawyers have expertise in all kinds of civil and constitutional matters‘.
‘The individuals Mr Kazim Hasan and Mr Jehanzeb Awan are all accomplished lawyers and always willing to assist customers in the legal issues that they are faced with. They are accessible, responsive and very professional in their dealings‘.
Sui Southern Gas Limited
Siemens Pakistan Engineering Company Limited
United Bank Limited
National Bank of Pakistan
EY Global Limited
SIZA Foods (Private) Limited
Commercial Bank International PSC
M/s Capital Asset Leasing Corporation Limited
TransAsia Refinery Limited
Karachi Electric Supply Company Limited
Takaful Pakistan Limited
Getz Pharma (Private) Limited
Pakistan Petroleum Provident Fund Trust Company (Private) Limited
- Advising National Bank of Pakistan in litigation that has been instituted by a large number of employees against the National Bank of Pakistan claiming various matters such as an entitlement to salary, perks and emoluments and is further advising the client in respect of a comprise arrangement for claims that have been made against National Bank of Pakistan.
- Representing Siemens Pakistan Engineering Company in an action relating to various additional costs that had incurred because of a delay.
- Advising United Bank Limited in an action that was filed with a view to resisting recovery proceedings being initiated in U.A.E.
The first-rate and dedicated team at RIAA BARKER GILLETTE handles the full range of litigation as well as domestic and international arbitration. It frequently advises on civil, commercial, corporate and regulatory matters as well as white-collar crime before the courts at all levels in Pakistan. The team has extensive experience of handling difficult constitutional challenges, labour disputes, family and succession cases as well as banking actions and tax appeals. Asma Hamid leads the team and Yousaf Khosa is another known name for his work on corporate disputes in particular. Omer Soomro has represented clients in commercial arbitrations both locally and overseas.
‘The team is very professional and goes deep inside the plethora of documents. The team’s contractual & legal acumen is simply splendid. When comparing with other legal firms, RIAA Barker Gillette takes the lead through its consistent hard work‘.
‘Yousaf Khosa is very competent in FIDIC contracts and the provisions of law. His capabilities in cross examining the claimant contractor’s witnesses has really made the difference‘.
The Hub Power Company Limited
Chevron Pakistan Lubricants (Private) Limited
Sinohydro Corporation Ltd.
Syed Ali Haider Zaidi
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd.
U.B. Chemicals Co.
Sindh Industrial Trading Estates
Samsonite Group entities
Star Hydro Power Limited
Almoiz Industries Limited
Savvy Links (Private) Limited, Mehran Power (Private) Limited, Faran Power (Private) Limited, and Habib Sugar Mills Energy (Private) Limited
- Filed a suit on behalf of Hubco before the High Court of Sindh against the Central Power Purchasing Agency (“CPPAG”) challenging CPPAG’s actions in setting-off amounts owed to Hubco under the Power Purchase Agreement – the firm was able to obtain an interim order preventing CPPAG from setting-off the alleged liability for residential furnace oil against the payments that were due to be made under the Power Purchase Agreement.
- Acting for Samsonite in legal proceedings relating to a dispute with a distributor over the continued sale of various Samsonite brands despite the termination of the distribution agreement.
- In a matter that is attracting considerable media interest, the firm is advising on a constitutional challenge that has been filed before the Sindh High Court, Circuit Bench at Hyderabad alleging that the establishment of a reservoir for the storage of extracted groundwater would contravene environmental, wildlife and land acquisition laws.
ABS & Co. is best known for its commercial and constitutional litigation expertise. The team under the leadership of Ahmer Bilal Soofi and Salman Hanif Rajput frequently appears in both the High Court and the Supreme Court. It is also well-regarded for its skill at handling tax and employment/labour law disputes. Its arbitration practice continues to thrive and the department is increasingly advising on white-collar crime. Bakhtawar Bilal Soofi is an associate at the firm’s office in Lahore and is recommended for his experience in constitutional matters. Amna Abbas left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘ABS & Co. is a firm on which you can rely on for expertise and best practices. Excellent litigators‘.
‘I have worked closely with Mr. Bakhtawar Bilal Soofi (Sr. Associate) and found him to be an exceptional lawyer with a special ability to communicate solutions in a very knowledgeable and friendly manner. Trustworthy, creative and technical, Mr. Soofi has provided excellent support and advice on the company’s strategy in relation to a high-stakes matter’.
Engro Corporation Limited
Dawood Hercules Limited
Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA)
Siddiqsons Tinplates Limited
United Bank Limited (UBL)
Habib Rafiq Limited
Medipak Private Limited
Water and Sanitation Agency (WASA)
- Represented National Bank of Pakistan in a major employment dispute relating to the MTO and non-MTO status of its employees.
- Represented Mughals Pakistan Private Limited in a major construction dispute in excess of PKR 9bn against EOBI.
- Representing Paksat Private Limited in more than 20 different arbitrations against various electronic and broadcasting media channels.
FGE Ebrahim Hosain is recommended for its work in complex commercial, civil and constitutional law disputes. It receives a steady flow of instructions in cases in the oil and gas sectors and is skilled at handling disputes relating to public procurement, construction and joint ventures. Names to note include Zahid Ebrahim, Shabnam Noorali and Khwaja Hosain ( who heads the Lahore office).
Khalid Anwer & Co. has a strong reputation for its work on a whole host of contentious matters and continues to be involved in various high-profile constitutional and commercial disputes. Khalid Anwer is highly regarded. Managing partner Raashid Anwer is also recommended and regularly appears before the Supreme Court of Pakistan and the High Courts on a number of constitutional and commercial matters as well as in domestic and foreign arbitrations. Syed Mustafa Ali is an Advocate of the High Court of Pakistan and is well-respected too for his work on a range of constitutional, banking, commercial and employment cases.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have been working with Khalid Anwer & Co. for decades and we have total confidence in its ability to handle all kinds of disputes and legal issues. Mr. Raashid Anwer is a very seasoned litigator and very well respected‘.
‘M/S Khalid Anwer & Co. is the most renowned law firm of Pakistan with unmatched legal expertise and experience. The lawyers have always been very effective and result oriented and very well understand the needs of the clients’.
‘We have engaged the firm in many complex dispute resolution cases and queries and hence have always been extremely satisfied with its performance. The lawyers are very well versed with the amendments in laws and have the ability of out of the box legal solutions. We are always amazed and extremely satisfied with how they have provided the legal services‘.
‘We as a company deal with Barrister Syed Mustafa Ali and find him to be extremely professional and well versed. He is very hardworking and always ensures that he provides exceptional services’.
‘The team at Khalid Anwer & Associates is very proactive and accurate in dealing with legal cases. This makes it the unique team to work with‘.
‘The team responds instantly to legal queries‘.
Pfizer Pakistan Ltd.
Lucky Energy (Pvt.) Ltd.
Sindh Education Department.
Pakistan International Bulk Terminal.
Arif Habib Group
Sapphire Textile Mills Limited
Gul Ahmed Textiles Mills Limited
Umer Group of Companies
Naveena Exports Limited
Naveena Industries Limited
Ismail Industries Limited
National Foods Limited
ATC Technology Consultants
Lucky Tex Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited
Continental Biscuits Limited
- Successfully acted for Pfizer all the way to the Supreme Court in a case about an order that had been passed by the Drug Appellate Board.
- Representing Pakistan International Bulk Terminal (PIBT) in a dispute with the Competition Commission of Pakistan (CCP).
- Successfully represented Lucky Energy (Pvt) in a case against K – Electric.
Orr, Dignam & Co. handles a broad spectrum of contentious matters from mediation and arbitration through to civil litigation. It has a dedicated team that acts for a significant number of domestic and overseas clients and works in conjunction with a number of foreign law firms in international arbitrations. The team is well-equipped to advise on issues ranging from constitutional challenges to trade mark appeals and corporate disputes and acts for various multinational companies, banks, multilateral agencies, and public sector companies. Sajid Zahid and Taha Alizai are the main contacts.
Rana Ijaz & Partners
Rana Ijaz & Partners is known for its work with clients on various contentious commercial and contractual matters before the various local courts and in arbitral tribunals. Recent highlights have included acting as co-counsel in two international arbitration cases. Rana Sajjad Ahmad is well-regarded and Rana Muhammad is another key member of the team. The practice is also adept at defending clients in matters involving white-collar crime, banking crime and corporate crime as well as other matters such as environmental issues.
Other key lawyers:
International Turnkey Systems
- Acting as co-counsel in collaboration with Curtis Mallet-Prevost Colt & Mosle LLP for two leading distributors/suppliers of electronic products in two international arbitration cases that have been filed against one of the world’s largest multinational conglomerates – the amount in dispute is around $21m.
- Representing a leading distributor/supplier of electronic products in a civil suit that has been filed against it in the District Court, Islamabad, for the recovery of approximately $21m – in view of the international arbitration clauses in the distribution agreements between the parties, the firm is challenging the jurisdiction of the court and is seeking a stay of the proceedings under the Recognition and Enforcement (Arbitration Agreements and Foreign Arbitral Awards) Act 2011.
- Representing a leading distributor/supplier of electronic goods in a civil suit that has been filed against it in the Civil Court, Lahore, for the recovery of approximately £6m – in view of the international arbitration clauses in the distribution agreements between the parties, the firm is challenging the jurisdiction of the court and is seeking a stay of the proceedings under the Recognition and Enforcement (Arbitration Agreements and Foreign Arbitral Awards) Act 2011.
Ahmed & Qazi
Ahmed & Qazi acts for a variety of banks, brokers, fund managers and other participants in the financial services industry as well as media conglomerates. Head of litigation Bahzad Haider is an advocate of the Supreme Court of Pakistan and has extensive experience of advising on a range of commercial law issues before all five High Courts in Pakistan.
At Mohsin Tayebaly & Co the department under the leadership of Arshad Tayebaly has particular expertise in advising on banking and finance litigation as well as contentious company matters. The team represents a sizeable number of banks that operate in the country as well as several major corporations and advises clients on constitutional, commercial and civil matters before the High Courts and Supreme Court of Pakistan. The team also receives plaudits for its work on contentious competition matters. In addition it has considerable skill in all forms of alternative dispute resolution.
‘The lawyers are readily available at the time of need and are always willing to extend the service in the best possible way‘.
‘Led by the committed, astute, experienced and user friendly Arshad Tayebaly, the disputes team provides exceptional service in both domestic and international disputes‘.
Nestle Pakistan(subsidiary of Nestle S.A)
Gul Ahmed Energy Limited& group companies
Royal Group Pharmaceutical
Amreli Steels Limited
Standard Chartered Bank(Pakistan) Limited
EY (Ernst & Young) FordRhodes – Pakistan
Engro Corporation Limited
Byco Petroleum Pakistan Limited
Pakistan International Container Terminal Limited
Other key lawyers:
AHM & Co
AHM & Co is an emerging force that covers the full array of contentious matters from mediation to arbitration and litigation. It frequently advises key domestic clients on a wide range of matters such as constitutional challenges, insurance appeals and corporate disputes. Adam Hassan Malik and Saadat Ali Saeed are the most prominent members of the team that regularly represents clients in the courts of first instance, all the way to the superior courts.
‘The team at AHM & Co stands out from other law firms due to its sheer dedication and its case management portal. The team ensures that any strategy is a mutual strategy and makes us feel included in every decision pertaining to resolving the disputes‘.
‘Adam is a particularly stand out individual at AHM & Co. Adam is diligent, he provides quality advice and never gives up‘.
‘ I have found Adam Malik to be very dedicated, very responsible and he is always available to respond to the queries no matter how petty the query is, this makes the client feel valued. His knowledge and research skills are outstanding and he has always helped us‘.
Federation of Pakistan Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Pak Qatar General Takaful Limited
Pak Qatar Family Takaful Limited
All Pakistan Motorcycles Spares Parts importers and traders association
Crescent Star Insurance Limited
All Pakistan Stainless Steel Importers Association
The Chancellors Overseas
Adamjee Life Assurance Co Ltd
- Representing an insurance company before the Sindh High Court in winding up proceedings that have been filed by a creditor.
- Representing an unsecured creditor before the Lahore High Court in a minority action against the mismanagement of a public limited company under Section 286 of the Companies Act 2017.
- Representing a trade association before the Lahore High Court in proceedings relating to the cancellation of a license.
The barristers and advocates at Hafeez Pirzada Law Associates regularly appear before the Superior Courts in Pakistan and are frequently involved in domestic and international arbitrations. The team also advises on various criminal matters. Abdul Sattar Pirzada, Qazi Umair Ali and Mamoon N. Chaudhry are the leading members of the team.
Khan & Associates frequently acts for clients before the Pakistani courts and handles numerous cases on the domestic enforcement of foreign arbitration awards and judgements. Mansoor Khan is well-regarded and often appears before the Lahore, Sindh and Islamabad High Courts in addition to the Supreme Court of Pakistan. Khan is also rated for his work in international arbitrations.
Other key lawyers:
Raja Mohammed Akram Co.
Raja Mohammed Akram Co. has a solid reputation for its experience in litigation and arbitration matters. Clients include major local and international corporations and it has considerable expertise in a number of sectors such as petroleum, gas, telecommunications and the media. The nimble team frequently represents banks too in actions relating to the recovery of debts as well as representing companies in insolvency proceedings, minority oppression cases, and winding-up petitions. In addition, it is recommended for its experience in constitutional cases. Senior partner Salman Akram Raja is one of the key members of the department.
‘Umar Akram Chaudhry is hardworking and very well versed in all areas of litigation. Good and polite lawyer‘.
‘Excellent team in place. The team develops a very thorough and profound understanding of each issue prior to providing any legal advice. This helps cover all the legal angles of the issue‘.
‘Mr. Salman A Raja is the key individual who I deal with at the firm. He is very knowledgeable, respected, and very experienced. His in-depth legal and commercial understanding of any matter helps him to develop the best solution for his clients. His relentless focus on the quality of his work for his clients is unrivalled‘.
Orient Power Company (Pvt) Limited
Hong Kong Hui Hua Global Technology Limited
Service Industries Limited and others
MOL Oil and Gas Co. B.V
ORIX Leasing Pakistan Limited
Pakistan Petroleum Limited
MCB Bank Limited
Pak Elektron Limited
Highnoon Laboratories Limited
Sardar Ahmad Hayat, Agha Faisal Fayaz, Aslam Awais, Rana Liaqat Ali Khan and Karamat Ali
Nishat Hotel and Properties Limited
Continental Insurance Company Limited
All Pakistan Textile Mills Association
Fatima Fertilizer Company Limited
WR Edible Oil Refinery
Lake City Holdings (Pvt) Limited
Mr. Arif Hasan
Mr. Muhammad Zubair
Shahid Nabi Malik
Independent edia Corporation Pvt Limited
Independent Newspaper Corporation Pvt Limited
Dr Kaiser Bengali
Nishat Chunian Limited
Zhejiang Uniview Technologies Co. Limited
Engro Fertilizer Limited
Pakarab Fertilizer Limited
Careem Networds Pakistan (Pvt) Limited
Dewan Petroleum (Pvt) Limited
Reliance Aviation Tech Services Limited
Attock Refinery Limited
Mr Azfer Kamal Hamid
Secure Logistics (Pvt) Limited
Kohinoor Tectile Mills Limited
Nisar Spinning Mills Limited
Reliance IT Solutions Limited
Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority
All Pakistan Sugar Mills Association
- Representing Orient Power Company(Pvt) Limited in proceedings for the recognition and enforcement of a foreign arbitral award that was issued under the auspices of the London Court of International Arbitration.
- Representing a major state-owned Chinese company in its contractual dispute with the Oil and Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) involving claims and counter- claims worth more than $100m relating to an EPCC contract for a LPG gas processing plant.
- Representing a consortium of sugar mills challenging the enquiry report on the increase in the prices of sugar in proceedings before the Islamabad High Court.
Rizwan Faiz Associates
Islamabad-based Rizwan Faiz Associates has developed niche expertise in handling construction law disputes as well as disputes in the power and energy sectors. Recently it has also handled a range of contentious matters in the aviation sector. It has now also established a presence in its sub-offices in Lahore and Peshawar and is also known for its work in public sector disputes. Other strengths include its experience in complex arbitration proceedings both nationally and internationally. Rizwan Faiz Muhammad; Afzal Khan Shinwari and Haroun Sharif head the department that also advises private individuals on matters such as defamation, media laws, and family cases.
‘It has a vibrant young team that is quick to understand and resolve complex issues and has a hunger to make a name for the firm. The lawyers are quickly progressing‘.
‘It has an experienced team that puts its client first and caters to the individualised needs of the clients. The law firm is unique in forging professional relationships with the organisations they represent. The law firm has dynamic management and a diverse team to cater to the variable needs of the clients‘.
National Highway Authority (NHA)
Elite Estates (Pvt.) Ltd
GENCO Holding Company Ltd
Jamshoro Power Company Limited
Central Power Generation Company Limited
Northern Power Generation Company Limited
Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)
National Transmission and Despatch Company (NTDC)
Pakistan Electric Power Company (PEPCO)
Army Welfare Trust Investments (AWTI)
Askari General Insurance Company (AGICO)
Nuctech Pvt. Ltd (a Chinese owned company)
Pak LNG Ltd (PLL)
- Represented National Highway Authority in the international ICC Arbitration that was held in June 2018 in London – it is continuing to advise in ongoing post arbitration proceedings in Paris and in the Pakistani courts in a Rs.5bn claim arising out of the project for the M-3 (Faisalabad –Khanewal) Motorway.
- Filed a total of seven writ petitions before the Islamabad High Court on behalf of three thermal power generation companies against various decisions of the power regulatory authority (NEPRA) imposing substantial fines on them.
- Successfully represented Pakistan International Airlines in a case about the appointment of the CEO before the Islamabad and Sindh High Courts.
Sajeel Mirza Mann & Shah
Sajeel Mirza Mann & Shah frequently deals with major cases such as corporate disputes and multi-jurisdictional matters. The team is well-equipped to deal with arbitration and mediation as well as alternative dispute resolution. Names to note include Islamabad-based Hasan Murtaza Mann who is a High Court advocate. Taimur A. Mirza is the Karachi office managing partner and Sajeel Sheryar is the managing partner for the Islamabad office.
Vellani & Vellani
Vellani & Vellani has a strong team that is adept at handling a broad range of substantial and complex cases as well as well as major arbitrations. With Mohammad Abdur Rahman at the helm the team routinely acts in contract claims, recovery suits, winding up petitions as well as advising on labour law matters and the enforcement of security against defaulting borrowers. Rahman’s litigation experience spans a broad range of sectors with a focus on areas as diverse as real estate, shipping, taxation and intellectual property in addition to constitutional matters.