Al Busaidy, Mansoor Jamal & Co's team has 'a deep understanding of Oman's energy market, laws and regs and administrative processes'. It is particularly active in corporate transactions involving Omani energy companies. In addition, it advises on the development of energy projects and has also been involved in the privatisation of energy assets. The practice is led by Mansoor Jamal Malik and the 'excellent' Marcus Pery. Malik is well-respected, with decades of experience in this sector. Asad Qayyum left the firm.
Projects and energy in Oman
Mansoor Jamal Malik; Marcus Pery
Other key lawyers:
‘The practice is uniquely experienced in Oman law as it relates to the energy and electricity sector, with a team of dedicated energy law specialists . We have found their expertise to be superior to other local firms we have had to deal with in this area.’
‘They have strong experience in the oil and gas sector, as well as in general corporate matters, and provide timely advice.’
‘I do a lot of oil and gas work in Oman and try to work exclusively with AMJ for Oman law matters. AMJ has a deep understanding of Oman’s energy market, laws and regs and administrative processes. Responsive and practical advice.’
‘They provide solid legal advise and the team is highly cooporative across all expertise from juniors to partners.’
‘Mansoor Jamal Malik is a leading light in the Omani market. I would not want to work with anyone else in Oman for a first-of-a-kind transaction.’
‘Mansoor Malik is my go-to, but Marcus Pery is also excellent.’
‘The best firm in Oman for energy and infrastructure transactions. Responsive. and knowledgeable about the market.’
ABB Asea Brown Boveri Ltd
Ad-Dhahirah Generating Company SAOC
Al Asilah Desalination Company SAOC
Al Batinah Power Company SAOG
Al Rusail Power Company SAOC
Al Suwadi Power Company SAOG
Dhofar Generating Company SAOG
Dredging,Environmental&MarineEngineering (DEME nv)
Electricity Holding Company SAOC
Engie Middle East, South and Central Asia & Turkey
Marubeni Middle East & Africa Power Limited
Musandam Power Company S.A.O.G.
Myah Gulf Oman Desalination Company SAOC
Oman Global Logistics Co SAOC and its subsidiaries
Oman Investment Authority (formerly the State General Reserve Fund (Oman))
Phoenix Power Company SAOG
Shinas Generating Company SAOC
SMN Barka Power Company SAOC
SMN Power Holding SAOG
Sohar Power Company SAOG
United Power Company SAOG
Wellbore Integrity Solutions
- Advised Nama Holding on divestment of 49% of its shares in Oman Electricity Transmission Company SAOC (OETC), Oman’s state-owned power transmission company, in favour of State Grid International Development Ltd, China (SGID) in the first major privatization by the Middle East’s largest non-OPEC oil producer.
- Acted for United Power Company SAOG on the transfer of Manah Power Plant, the Oman’s first IPP project, to Nama Holding.
- Advised Stratum Reservoir on the Oman aspects of its acquisition of the geosciences laboratory business of Weatherford International plc and in particular on structuring of the acquisition of the Omani assets and liabilities of Weatherford International’s geosciences laboratory business in Oman.
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (in association with Al Rashdi, Al Juma and Ewing Advocates and Legal Consultants)
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (in association with Al Rashdi, Al Juma and Ewing Advocates and Legal Consultants) advises on various projects and energy matters such as exploration and production sharing agreements, as well as project development. The team also advises state bodies on procurement for projects, and also assists firms with bidding for tenders. Mary Allan and Ben Ewing lead the practice. Senior associate Charles Dolphin also advises on high-value matters.
Mary Allan; Ben Ewing
Other key lawyers:
Majis Industrial Services SAOCNo
Oman Power and Water Procurement Company SAOCNo
NAMA Holding CompanyNo
Dubai Electricity and Water AuthorityNo
DEME Concessions NV
Port of Duqm Company SAOC
Petrogas Exploration & Production LLC
KCA Deutag Drilling Gmbh
Daleel Petroleum Co. LLC
Arabian Gas and Oil Development Company
Abraj Energy Services SAOC
Zawawi Powertech Engineering LLC
SEM Energy Limited
- Advising Oman Power and Water Procurement Company SAOC on its procurement of three new IWPs, North Al Batinah IWP, Dhofar IWP and Masirah IWP.
- Drafting (and negotiating with the applicable counterparties) all of Majis’ industrial water utility project related agreements, including various forms of Majis’ construction, offtake and product/services sale agreements and industrial water assets operation and maintenance agreements.
- Advising Oman Power and Water Procurement Company SAOC on Oman’s first Waste to Energy IPP. This has involved advising on the appropriate contractual structure and tariff structure as well as the partial redesign of OPWP’s standard risk allocation for IPPs, to reflect the different risks applicable to a waste-to-energy project.
Dentons' experienced projects and energy team has a proven track record of handling corporate and commercial matters in this area. The team's energy work includes advising state bodies and private corporations on matters such as project development, exploration and operation contracts, as well as procurement. Elsewhere, the team advises on projects in the healthcare, utilities and real estate sectors. Andrew Figgins leads the team, which also includes senior associate Yasser Taqi ('a star on the rise'). Figgins is noted for his 'wealth of experience in the oil and gas sector'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Andrew Figgins leads an experienced team of energy sector lawyers at Dentons Muscat. Andrew is an excellent communicator and is very receptive to in-house client needs having worked in-house earlier in his career. We interact seamlessly on a number of of key projects in Oman and he coordinates between our various business interests and other partners within the Dentons global partnership as and when required. Knowledge of the sector and the players in the market, is key to the Dentons delivery of sound and pragmatic advice for an international company operating across many jurisdictions. I would have no hesitation in recommending this team for Energy and Projects in Oman. ’
‘The Dentons Projects and Energy practice is unique because it genuinely ticks all the boxes. It has deep Omani experience, excellent and knowledgeable practitioners, a commercial focus on what the client’s needs are and world- class experts at hand in Dentons’ global network.’
‘Andrew Figgins is an excellent and knowledgeable oil & gas practitioner. However, what makes Andy really stand out is his practicality and user-friendliness. Yasser Taqi is a star on the rise. Bright, hard-working and with a commitment for excellence.’
‘Dentons has a strong presence and significant experience in regional projects. They have a particularly strong team for dispute resolution and advising on contractor claims.’
‘Dentons Muscat’s Oil and Gas team is very ably led by Andrew Figgins who has a wealth of experience in the oil and gas sector. The team is very capable, professional and very responsive to our needs. In terms of fees they are always trying to provide cost effective services by adjusting level of fee earners involved on matters, discounts and other proactive methods of trying to reduce our legal spend. In relation to the advice it is practical, sensible and reflects a good commercial understanding of our business and its commercial drivers.’
‘The team is diversified, from local lawyers with international experience to international lawyers with strong capabilities and experience. Whenever we required Dentons support, the local office has always been able to connect us to international lawyers from other offices. Generally, the team in Oman has strong experience in the utilities sector and has always provided the services in a timely and professional manner.’
‘A true blend of all the benefits of a global firm with a local practice. Very well connected in the local markets, where flexibility is key and you may need to show up at the doorsteps of a Minister in hours. Well ahead of local competitors in practice organization, tools, and knowledge of international markets. The experience of the senior lawyers is a combination of in-house as well as law firm expertise, which really benefits the conversation. They have been where you are. ‘
‘The lead partner on our transaction in Dentons Oman was Andy Figgins. Andy was outstanding to work with – very knowledgeable of the industry due to his deep corporate in-house experience and very tied into the local legal network and Government advisors. His role was key in being able to successfully close our transaction. Andy was always available and responsive, which was essential given time differences to our head office and the necessity due to COVID to conduct the entire negotiations remotely. We would recommend Andy to any oil & gas companies operating in or assessing opportunities in Oman.’
ACWA Power Global Services LLC
Oman Society for Petroleum Services (OPAL)
Supreme Council for Planning of Oman
Oman Environmental Services Company SAOC (Be’ah)
Maysan Properties SAOC
Lines & Visions Consultants
Oman Power & Water Procurement Company
Oman Ministry of Oil and Gas
- Advising ACWA Power, the winning consortium for the first industrial scale solar generation photo-voltaic (PV) independent power project (IPP) in Oman.
- Advising the Government, represented by the Supreme Council for Planning, on the development of the country’s first integrated housing project which represents a departure from the Government’s traditional method of granting vacant plots of lands to citizens. The project is seen as a solution for the housing problem anticipated by the Government.
- Advising the Ministry of Oil and Gas on a number of upstream and downstream matters, including the negotiation and renewal of Block 5 Exploration & Production Sharing Agreement and on drafting the new natural gas sale agreement templates for the sale of the Government’s gas entitlement to industrial consumers in Oman.
Addleshaw Goddard's team has 'excellent knowledge of the Omani market', as is evidenced by its advice to clients on the financing and development of projects. The team handles both conventional and Islamic financing deals. Practice head Roger Byrne is recommended by clients for his experience of both the Omani market and Omani law. Also notable is that the group leverages the resources of the wider international network to handle cross-border matters, including M&A.
‘Work and have worked with them very closely in Oman where are definitely one of top tier firms in this area. Combine very good knowledge of Omani law with excellent knowledge of Omani market. ’
‘Highly recommend Roger Byrne as partner that both leads their team, and does a substantial amount of work on matters on which work with them. He combines very good knowledge of Omani law together with excellent knowledge of Omani market that facilitates delivery of excellent service.’
Sharqiyah Desalination Company SAOG (SDC)
State Grid International Development Limited (SGID)
Sohar International Bank SAOG
Oman Gas Company SAOC
Qatari Diar Ras Al Hadd Development Company SAOG (QDRH)
Mazoon Electricity Company SAOC
Bank Muscat SAOG
- Advising Sharqiyah Desalination Company SAOG on the development of a solar PV plant to provide power for the Sur Desalination Plant. Providing advice on the drafting of the project documents, regulatory issues, and amendments to the existing project documents for the desalination plant.
- Acting for Bank Dhofar SAOG on the project financing for the Oman Tank Terminal Company facility for $300m and associated security package for the oil and gas tank storage facility at Duqm adjacent to the refinery plant owned by Oman Oil Company.
- Advised State Grid International Development Limited on its successful circa $1billion acquisition of a 49% stake in Oman Electricity Transmission Company SAOC. This deal marks the completion of this phase of Oman’s electricity sector privatisation programme.
Al Alawi & Co. Advocates & Legal Consultants' projects and energy practice spans the range of matters in this area, including project finance, procurement and commercial matters, such as energy supply contracts. The team's clients include a number of Omani state-owned entities, as well as Omani and international banks. Corporate partner Sahil Taneja leads the practice. Riza Ismail advises on both conventional and Islamic financing of projects.
Other key lawyers:
Salalah Free Zone Company SAOC
Qatar National Bank (Singapore Branch)
Al Yusr Islamic Banking, Oman Arab Bank
Oman Drydock Company LLC
Oman Power & Water Procurement Company (OPWP)
Oman Global Logistics Group SAOC (ASYAD)
Shumookh Al Sharqiya Construction & Investment LLC (SSCI)
- Advising Salalah Free Zone Company on a complex restated natural gas supply arrangement with the Ministry of Oil and Gas in pursuance of a new revenue framework.
- Advised Oman’s power and water procurement authority on the procurement phase of the Sultanate’s first clean-coal-fired independent power project.
- Advising Oman Drydock Company on a consolidated shipbuilding agreement relating to the construction of 101 vessels at the Company’s dockyard in the recently established special economic zone in Duqm.
Said Al-Shahry & Partners (SASLO)'s project development practice acts on transactions in the utilities, oil and gas, renewables and hospitality sectors. The team is particularly active in desalination projects, and it also advises clients bidding for PPP tenders, as well as joint ventures involving overseas investors. Thamer Al Shahry leads the team.
Thamer Al Shahry
Other key lawyers:
Graham Mouat; Said Al Shahry; Jeremy Pooley
GS Inima Environment S.A.
Consortium comprised of GS Inima Environment S.A., SOGEX Oman Company LLC and Aljomaiah Energy and Water Company
ACWA Power Barka SAOG
Al Asilah Desalination Company SAOC
Al Ghubra Power and Desalination Co. SAOC
Al Jizzi Transformers and Switchgears LLC
Dhofar Power Company SAOC
GS Energy Corporation
Martin Engineering GmbH
Muscat Electricity Distribution Co. SAOC
Oman Oil Marketing Company SAOG
Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company SAOC
Qurayyat Desalination SAOC
Rural Areas Electricity Company SAOC (TANWEER)
Seven Seas Water Corporation
Shell Oman Marketing Company SAOG
- Acting as the Omani law adviser to GS Inima Environment S.A. on the Independent Water Project (IWP) V at Barka, which involves the design, construction, ownership, financing, operation and maintenance of a high efficiency desalination facility based on seawater reverse osmosis technology, with a capacity of 100,000m3 per day (22 MIGD) of potable water output plus a capacity of 100m3 per day (0.02 MIGD) of permeate water output.
- Acting as the Omani law adviser to a consortium (comprised of GS Inima Environment S.A., SOGEX Oman Company LLC and Aljomaiah Energy and Water Company) in relation to the Independent Water Project (IWP) at Ghubra which involves the design, construction, ownership, financing, operation and maintenance of a high efficiency desalination facility based on seawater reverse osmosis technology, with a capacity of 150,000m3 per day (33 MIGD) of potable water output during the early water period, and then 300,000m3 per day (66 MIGD) of potable water output during the operation period.
Led by Thomas Wigley, Trowers & Hamlins LLP's team makes use of its 'excellent understanding of the local and regional market', advising on supply and exploration agreements, as well as the development of projects. Wigley is 'always up-to-date with current market trends' and has over 15 years of experience in Oman.
‘A great law firm to work with. I found the projects and energy team very practical and solution-focused. They have done numerous deals in the region and are well versed in advising on energy projects in the GCC region. ’
‘I had the pleasure of working with Thomas Wigley from the Oman office. The work done by him and his team was of good quality. The team is pro-active and delivers on quick turnaround times.’
‘High level of senior team (partner) level involvement adds tremendous value to the advice provided ’
‘Excellent understanding of the local and regional market’
‘Tom Wigley is always up-to-date with current market trends, not only locally but regionally. This is particularly useful in a government-heavy environment. Excellent value for money, particularly compared with peers in the local market.’
Electricity & Water Authority, Bahrain
Palestine Electricity Transmission Company
Dubai Electricity and Water Authority
Oman Power & Water Procurement
Federal Electricity and Water Authority
PT Medco Energi Internasional Tbk
Salalah Port Services
Nakheel Oman Development SAOC
Oman Environmental Services Holding Company SAOC
- Advising Marafiq in relation to an IWP to be constructed within SEZAD (Duqm), which will share existing infrastructure with a nearby oil refinery. Marafiq holds a concession to provide utilities in SEZAD and so is expanding its generation and desalination capabilities. Drafted a bespoke Water Purchase Agreement for this project and advised on various ancillary matters.
- Advising Nakheel Oman Development Company (NODC) in relation to its operations in the Sultanate, including in relation to a waste offtake arrangement in Muscatas well asa country-wide food distribution network and in relation to its operations at its date plantation in Nizwa, Oman.
- Advising PT Medco on a Farm-In in relation to Block 56 in Oman.The transaction is particularly complex given the number of existing participants and multiple changes to the ownership shares.