Addleshaw Goddard has handled a number of high-profile construction and payment recovery disputes. In one example, Saif Al Mamari acted for Alec Engineering and Contracting Oman LLC in a payment dispute against Carillion Alaw concerning the construction of Muscat International Airport, where the former was a sub-contractor and the latter was the main contractor. Moreover, Nasser Al Habsi acted before Sohar International Bank in a payments dispute against a major construction company. Jamie Kellick joined Kennedys in Dubai.
Dispute resolution in Oman
ALEC Engineering and Contracting Oman LLC
Driver Consult Oman LLC
Sohar International Bank
- Acted for SIG in relation to a debt recovery matter in Oman.
- Defending Technique LLC (Technique) against a commercial claim filed against it by an Omani lessor.
- Acted for the British Council in seeking recovery of monies owed against a company that owned the Al Wael Educational Institute, following the jailing of the principal of the institute for fraud.
Al Busaidy, Mansoor Jamal & Co is ‘exceptional for dispute resolution and litigation’ and ‘works with internationally recognised barristers and offers the best of global skills and reach with local knowledge’. Practice head Mansoor Jamal Malik is an England and Wales-qualified barrister with rights of audience before Oman’s Supreme Court and Appeal Court, and is an Appeal Court panel arbitrator. He represented two banks in their joint claim against a cement company and its guarantor for funds owing on a facility for the partially completed construction of a cement plant. Also leading the team is Said Hilall Al Busaidy, who has acted before the courts of first instance, appeal and Supreme Court.
‘Exceptional for dispute resolution and litigation.’
‘Works with internationally recognised barristers and offers the best of global skills and reach with local knowledge.’
National Bank of Oman
Commercial Bank of Qatar
Bank Muscat SAOG
Habib Bank Limited
Bank Dhofar SAOG
Al Omaneya Services Company SAOG
Muscat Finance Co SAOG
United Finance Company SAOG
Sohar International Bank SAOG
Bahwan group of companies
Subsidiaries of French multinational ENGIE
Power Mech Projects Limited
Public Authority for Food Reserves
Public Authority for Stores and Food Reserves
Oman Tourism Development Co SAOC
AIG MEA Limited (Oman Branch)
Al Hassan Group
Al Argan Towell Investment Company
Amiantit Oman Co. LLC
Bahwan Engineering Co LLC
CC Energy Development S.A.L. (CCED)
Oman Construction Material & Trading Co. LLC
- Represented Sheikh Suhail bin Salim al-Mukheini Bahwan and his group of companies in a payment dispute.
- Represented a subsidiary of Lush Cosmetics Ltd in a shareholders’ dispute.
- Defended KPMG against a claim brought by a former client of KPMG for alleged negligence in the conduct of the company’s audits for the 2000 and 2001 financial years and for the resulting losses.
Dentons covers the spectrum of commercial disputes, but is most prominent in disputes concerning construction and environmental pollution. Dali Al Habboub is a key figure and advised Astana Property Management on a dispute where a beneficiary attempted to apply to the court to instruct the bank to dissolve a bond against the client. Haleem Amir Mohammed acted for the International Oil Pollution Compensation Fund in a case involving losses arising out of the sinking of the Nesa-R3, a tanker carrying 816 tonnes of bitumen. Abdelrahman Mohamed Elnafie retired.
Oman National Transport Company
Dyncorp International LLC
International Oil Pollution Compensation Fund
HSBC Bank Oman
SNF Oman LLC
Al Sulaimi Group
- Representing HSBC in a dispute relating to debt recovery.
- Acted for a client in a dispute related to the construction and operation of a water desalination plant.
- Acted for the Ministry of Finance of Oman in relation to a claim against several parties in connection with wrongful utilisation of subsidised diesel fuel.
Al Tamimi & Company handles disputes pertaining to contractual breaches and payment issues. Ahmed Al Barwani leads the practice and is admitted before Oman courts and has rights of audience before the Court of Appeal.
Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP is particularly skilled in construction and tax-related disputes. Simon Ward leads the team and defended Oman Air in a $1.5m claim alleging improper storage of cargo. He also represented Sohar Global Construction and Contracting Co in a tax dispute against the Secretariat General of Tax Oman, which challenged a tax assessment made by the latter. He is supported by recently promoted partners Dominic Pilkington and Mehdi Al Lawati, and counsel Hamood Al-Rawahi.
Sohar Global Construction and Contracting Co LLC
Sambu Construction Co Ltd
- Represented Oman Methanol & Muscat Insurance Company in a claim arising from design failures in a methanol plant. The proceedings have been initiated on behalf of the underwriters of Oman Methanol.
- Acted for Sohar Global Construction and Contracting Co in a tax dispute with the Secretariat General of Tax Oman.
- Advised MPE Engineering in a dispute in the Omani courts related to oil and gas installations.
Said Al-Shahry & Partners (SASLO) is very strong in disputes concerning employment and construction, with expertise in both litigation and ADR. Managing partner Said Al-Shary leads the team and is particularly skilled in construction arbitration. Hani Bawani is highly skilled in international arbitration, as well as in disputes involving shipping and insurance. Thamer Al Shahry is another key figure and has acted in cases concerning infrastructure projects and labour law.
Ahli Bank SAOG
Al Maha Ceramics Company SAOG
Bank Muscat SAOG
Dhofar Power Company SAOC
Muscat Electricity Distribution Company SAOC
OCTAL SAOC FZC
Oman Development Bank SAOC
Oman Drydock Company SAOC
Oman Ground Handling LLC
Oman Aviation Services SAOC
Oman Oil Refineries and Petroleum Industries Company SAOC
HSBC Oman SAOG
Oman Qatar Insurance Company
Oman Shipping Company SAOC
Port of Duqm Company SAOC
Rural Areas Electricity Company SAOC (TANWEER)
Salalah Beach Resort SAOG (Salalah Hilton)
CPEC – Architectural & Engineering Consultancy
Shell Marketing Company SAOG
Oman Oil Marketing Company SAOG
W.J. Towell Group
Barwa Bank (QJC) – Qatar
ACWA Power Barka SAOG
Carillion Alawi LLC