DLA Piper assists a large roster of blue-chip clients with the negotiation of employment agreements with key managers and other employees, as well as handling day-to-day issues relating to payroll, annual leave, benefits, pensions, severance, social security, collective employment issues and conflicts with the unions. It is especially strong in regulatory matters and employment litigation. The employment practice is led by Mehdi Kettani, who has been practising employment law in Morocco for more than 15 years, both as a litigator and in an advisory role.
Employment in Morocco
Finastra International Limited
NTT DATA Inc
Howmet Aerospace Inc.
Adevinta Iberica SLU
- Assisting Accor with the termination of key managers.
- Advising Société Générale on specific employment issues notably the inappropriate behaviours of employees in workplace as well as the operating of work council and the health and safety committee.
- Advising Epson on the employees’ representatives’ election process.
ASAFO & CO. MOROCCO Sarl, which opened a Casablanca office in 2019, has brought together a team of experienced partners from international law firms. Its employment practice acts for international corporations and local players in matters across the African continent, particularly those relating to the drafting of employment contracts and terminations. Practice head Mouna Boubia also handles the employment aspects of large M&A and private equity transactions.
‘The firm shows good reactivity, good creative thinking and the ability to find solutions for the clients.’
Ninety One (Ex Investec)/ SJL : Amine ALLAM
Polymedic : Nayim Khemais
Collége Lasalle : Piero Greco
Baker & McKenzie Maroc
Baker & McKenzie Maroc is increasingly involved in employment matters under Moroccan law, acting for multinational employers in contractual matters, redundancies and the defence of contentious matters. It is frequently called upon by large corporations to advise on the HR aspects of reorganisations and restructurings, including collective lay-offs. Managing partner Kamal Nasrollah oversees the practice, in which senior associate Keltoum Boudribila is an employment law specialist.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Tata Motors in connection with its implementation of a massive dismissal plan in a very short timeframe.
- Advising SAP on employment and data privacy issues in Morocco, Ivory Coast and Senegal, and on the implementation of a programme of excellence in Morocco.
- Advised US multinational computer technology corporation Oracle on general employment issues under Moroccan law.
Bakouchi & Habachi - HB Law Firm LLP has a prominent role in large cross-border M&A, which sees it advise on related complex employment matters, such as contract negotiations and non-competition agreements. The practice, which is jointly led by by managing partners Salima Bakouchi and Kamal Habachi, actis for large multinational companies, SMEs and individuals. Its recent work included assisting Société Marocaine des Tabac with the labour aspects of its restructuring process.
Salima Bakouchi; Kamal Habachi
AL OMRANE Group
(Vivo energy “Shell)
ZIZ (Energy Fields)
Société Marocaine des Tabacs
British American Tobacco
ATLAS NORD HYDROCARBURES (“Cepsa”) Wafa Immobilier
- Assisting Société Marocaine des Tabac with implementing process, legal opinions and departures as part of its restructuring.
- Assisting Nielsen in all labour law matters and in the negotiation of termination of the labour contracts, including litigation before the Court.
- Assisting Air Arabia with all labour law matters and in the negotiation of termination of the labour contracts, including litigation before the Court.
Bennani & Associés focuses predominantly on serving the needs of multinational employers, and it often acts as local counsel in partnership with international law firms. Its work spans the employment law aspects of business incorporation, restructuring and large M&A. Managing partner Mehdi Bennani and litigation head Abdellah Moustaid (who 'demonstrate an unparalleled professionalism and availability') are the main contacts. Senior associate Mahdi Yamnahaddou is noted for employment law and litigation.
Mehdi Bennani; Abdellah Moustaid
Other key lawyers:
‘Depending on areas of expertise of the the different attorneys we worked with, what we most commonly sensed is professionalism, availability, involvement in our business and strong knowledge of the local justice behaviour.’
‘They are available at any time to take charge of our requests and answer any questions we may have, which is for me and for the company a major positive point insofar as it allows me to be, in turn, proactive.’
‘My contacts within Bennani & Associés, in this case Mehdi Bennani and Abdellah Moustaid, who demonstrate an unparalleled professionalism and availability. They are also very helpful because of their legal knowledge that helps me make the right decisions and avoid any impact on my business. Moreover, in their collaborative approach, giving clear visibility to a given situation, however negative it may be, is always an asset that helps to make decisions in full knowledge of the consequences and or risk. Having them as legal consultants and lawyers is definitely a major asset for my department as well as the company I manage.’
‘They provide quick responses in comparison to the market.’
Lukoil Lubricants Africa SARL
Save The Children
IQVIA (formerly Quintiles and IMS Health, Inc.)
ST Micro Electronics
TUI AG / TUI FLY
Casa Tram (a subsidiary of RATP)
- Represented Dell Group in a labour dispute involving employees refusing to be transferred as part of a worldwide sale by Dell Inc. of its technology services business to NTT Data.
- Represented Adidas in connection with judicial proceedings before various Moroccan courts initiated by employees of Adidas Morocco to obtain compensation for dismissal.
- Advised Lukoil Lubricants Africa SARL on its entry into the Moroccan market, including advice on employment contracts and all other aspects of labour law.
CMS acts for a host of large, multinational employers in corporate, tax and employment matters in Morocco. It also assists domestic clients with contracts, dismissals, reorganisations and management restructuring. The firm's work also encompasses advice on the protection of the personal data of employees in large organisations. Managing partner Marc Veuillot oversees the firm's corporate and employment practices.
Garrigues Maroc Sarl
Garrigues Maroc Sarl is the only Iberian law firm with a practice of its own in Morocco, and is well placed to handle the needs of Spanish and Portuguese businesses; this includes advice on employment law matters concerning their local entities. The firm frequently handles employment issues arising from cross-border M&A. Lead partner José Ignacio García Muniozguren recently advised Barceló Hotels & Resorts on labour regulations and dismissals.
José Ignacio García Muniozguren
- Ongoing labour law advice to Barceló Hotels & Resorts, including queries and dismissals.
- Ongoing labour law advice to Banco Sabadell, including queries and dismissals.
- Ongoing labour law advice to canned fish manufacturer Gil Comes, including queries and dismissals.
Bassamat & Laraqui
Bassamat & Laraqui is involved in significant matters for both domestic and international clients. The firm advised national airline Royal Air Maroc on negotiated departures and economic redundancies. Founding partners Bassamat Fassi-Fihri and Asma Laraqui, who are the main practitioners, handle a growing amount of contentious employment matters as part of their broader litigation practice.
Bassamat Fass-Fihri; Asma Laraqui
Royal Air Maroc
Royal Air Maroc Handling
Banque marocaine pour le commerce et l’industrie
- Advised and set up a social plan for the national airline company Royal Air Maroc which employs 3000 people for negotiated departures and an administrative procedure for economic redundancies.
- Advice to investment fund Risma on the framework of the termination of a management contract for a hotel unit in Agadir Sofitel Agadir Royal Bay and the handing over of the employees to their initial employer, the owner of the business.
- The employees of BMCI, supported by the trade unions, demanded the application of the more advantageous methods of calculation of the seniority dues provided for in the Labor Code. The firm defended BMCI, a BNP Paribas subsidiary, in some fifty cases.
BFR & Associés continues to develop its employment work as part of its highly regarded corporate practice. It increasingly acts for multinational employers, both in the context of advisory work and contentious matters. The team recently advised a large Japanese IT company on the dismissal of employees in Morocco. Corporate partner Safia Fassi-Fihri is the lead employment lawyer. She works closely with finance partner Romain Rabillard and head of litigation Yasmina Baddou.
Safia Fassi-Fihri; Romain Rabillard; Yasmina Baddou
CCCC (China Communication Construction Company)
Duet (Private Equity)
Vantage Data Centers
ONDA (National office of Airports)
Attijari Finance Corp
Label Vie Group
Ministry of General Affairs and Governance
Africa Capital Partners
ESL / Agence Publics (ESL AP Maroc)
EMID – Al Rashideen Group (the exclusive distributor of Philipp Morris in MENA Region)
Mediterrania Capital Partners
- Acting as legal counsel to Bosch Morocco in relation to the day-to-day business and specific transactions, including employment matters.
Fraikech Associés continues to advise a wide range of authorities, state-owned entities and private companies on public law matters, including employment law. Its recent work has seen it act for foreign employers in a broad cross-section of matters, among them the termination of employment contracts. The 'highly responsive and effective' Oussama Fraikech and head of litigation Abderrahmane Fraikech are the main contacts.
Oussama Fraikech; Abderrahmane Fraikech
‘I have dealt with Oussama Fraikech whom i have found to be highly responsive and effective.’
‘Oussama Fraikech delivers on what he says he will be able to achieve, which is a valuable quality in an overseas associate when dealing with complex multi-jurisdictional litigation. The advice is commercial and succinct with objectives identified and followed through thoroughly.’
French law firm LPA-CGR has a strong track record of undertaking work in Morocco and its local employment law practice has built up a notable client base over the last decade. Working closely with lawyers in Paris, the practice led by corporate partner Lina Fassi-Fihri advises employers on labour relations in the context of large M&A transactions, as well as day-to-day employment law issues arising from local operations.
Caronway Mister Auto (PSA Group)
Total Safety Maroc
UGGC Africa provides support to a number of overseas-based employers in relation to labour law matters concerning their operations in Morocco. Ali Bougrine, Jean-Jacques Uettwiller and Laurent Sablé, who split their time between Paris and Casablanca, are the key partners. Their recent work included assisting Sienna Investment Group, which owns the Ritz-Carlton Rabat and Tetouan Hotel, with employment matters arising from a hotel management contract.
Ali Bougrine; Jean-Jacques Uettwiller; Laurent Sablé
Sienna Investment Group
- Handled the constitution and establishment of the OMEAM subsidiary in Morocco. Assistance with to corporate law and employment law relating to the relocation of 50 people from France to Morocco.
- Advising PERI on corporate and litigation matters, including the review of social and employment contracts.
- Assistance to Sienna Investment Group, owner of the Ritz-Carlton Rabat and Tetouan Hotels, as part of the implementation of the hotel management contract with the Ritz Carlton. Assistance in corporate, labour and distribution law.