Disputes boutique Cecil Abraham And Partners provides the full range of dispute-related services, including advisory, strategic and preventative work alongside litigation experience. Its broad roster of clients encompasses major domestic companies, media conglomerates and high-net-worth individuals as well as not-for-profit entities. Arbitrator Cecil Abraham leads the practice, which covers corporate and commercial, banking and securities, insurance and maritime litigation. The team is also experienced in shareholders disputes, privacy and breach of confidence claims, land disputes, construction matters, public and administrative law work and competition disputes.
Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Logan Sabapathy & Co
Logan Sabapathy & Co’s dispute resolution department centres on Logan’s practice as counsel, assisted by his juniors. Logan’s work covers all areas of commercial law, with a particular focus on complex commercial and corporate disputes. Over the years, he has acted for clients in a broad range of cases with multi-millions in dispute. Some of …View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Malaysia
‘Cecil Abraham assisted us (and continues to assist us) with various complex high value Malaysian law disputes with our customers. CA’s deep bench strength, consistently good technical skill and market knowledge are the key assets which drove us to engage them.’
‘The team has a great reputation, the highest standards of work ethics and professionalism and thus provides the client with great confidence about their particular case. Definitely the go-to firm for civil and commercial disputes. Outstanding, especially when the stakes are high.’
‘Cecil Abraham, with his more than 50 years of experience and expertise in the legal profession, is devastatingly effective in dealing with commercial disputes before the courts. He is very much the doyen of the legal profession in Malaysia and the standout litigator in Malaysia by far.’
‘The team of advocates there are really committed. They engage full time with the clients and instruct advocates to ensure that the case is presented well. In particular, I would like to state that Dato Sunil Abraham, Tan Sri Cecil Abraham with his vast experience and Mr Syukran Syafiq, make a strong formidable team that I would regard as one of the best in Malaysia.’
‘The Chambers of Cecil Abraham & Partners have broad experience in all sorts of civil litigation matters, from construction disputes to complex constitutional law matters and they have experience in international arbitration matters. Cecil Abraham is the pre-eminent litigator in Malaysia. The firm of Cecil Abraham and Partners is very much our preferred choice for complex high-profile disputes involving matters in Sarawak.’
MRCB George Kent Sdn Bhd
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
Lynas Corporation Ltd and Lynas Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Kining Exeton Sdn Bhd
Raub Australian Gold Mining Sdn Bhd
Yayasan Wilayah Persekutuan
Shopee Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd
NRY Architects Sdn Bhd
Siemens Industry Software Gmbh & Co. Kg (Germany)
Ireka Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd
Yinson Holdings Berhad, Yinson Energy Services Sdn Bhd and Lim Chern Yuan
Hitachi Zosen Corporation
ISM Sendirian Berhad
Trefound Properties Sdn Bhd
Hap Seng Trading Sdn Bhd
PLS Plantations Berhad
Amanah Raya Berhad
Equities First Holdings, LLC
- Acted for Shopee Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd in a test case relating to the liability of ‘service providers’ by reference to e-commerce platforms under the Copyright Act 1987.
- Acted for Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad (MRCB) in respect of four separate arbitrations relating to the Desaru Coast development.
- Acted for Kining Exeton Sdn Bhd in a matter related to the decision of the Federal Court in Ireka Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd v PWC Corp Sdn Bhd and other appeals  1 MLJ 311 on 21 September 2020.
The dispute resolution department at Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff is particularly well known for its strength in corporate and commercial litigation, frequently acting for both public and private companies in boardroom takeovers and shareholder issues. Additionally, the team regularly handles disputes concerning land and property, commercial fraud, family law, trusts and estates, construction, and insolvency and banking issues. Domestic and international arbitrator Christopher Leong is noted for his experience across corporate and commercial litigation, shareholder disputes and securities litigation; he also advises on constitutional and administrative law as well as public interest litigation.
‘The partners, the lawyers and the firm are able to respond to our queries in a timely manner. Good knowledge of the law.’
Heitech Padu Berhad
SPC Diatech LLC
Asmara International Limited
Dagang Net Technologies Sdn Bhd
Silver Ridge Holdings Berhad
Lysaght Group of Companies
Lion Group of Companies
BP Healthcare Group of Companies
Parkson Group of Companies
MeCan Group of Companies
Liquidator from Deloitte Corporate Solutions Sdn Bhd, liquidator of Idaman Unggul Berhad
The market-leading disputes practice at Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill has specialist experience in corporate disputes (an area where SM Shanmugam is noted), general commercial litigation, banking and insolvency litigation and construction and real estate disputes. The department has particularly strong experience in acting for government-linked companies, international corporations and energy and utility industry clients. Nitin Nadkarni heads up the firm’s international arbitration practice, and has extensive experience in litigation arising from infrastructure projects across Malaysia, Indonesia and the MENA region. Lambert Rasa-Ratnam jointly leads the wider team with Kumar Kanagasingam. Up-and-coming partner Darshendev Singh focuses on disputes relating to construction, engineering, oil and gas and infrastructure projects.
‘The team is always available and ever ready to assist us with our queries and matters. Their response over email is rapid, giving us the peace of mind they are ever ready at all times. They have fully embraced social media communication and online meetings. Their weekly regular webinars and writeup goes to show how comfortably they have embraced tech in this traditional business which many other large firms are struggling with still.’
‘SM Shanmugam is a very experienced and reliable litigator. His adaptability to our dynamic and rapid work environment along with his broad experience in dispute resolution has proven to always be a winner in each representation and advisory rendered. I have introduced him to my fellow business partners for his strategic advisory, and they are only full of praise of his competence and knowledge. His prompt replies, knowledge of the law, experience and attention to details is a strong trait of his. His “tactical” delivery always gives us the assurance that we are well protected with his strategic advice.’
‘The team is technically sound, experienced and responsive. These are their key strengths which are comparable with other well known legal firms. The practice also has many areas of specialisation particular in commercial matters.’
‘They have individuals who are experts in their field. They make sure to keep the clients informed at every stage along the way. They are able to transform and use technology to improve the practice in order to continue to service the client during the disruption in Covid-19 critical periods.’
‘The lawyers are very diligent in reviewing the facts provided by the client and always seek supporting documents. Dato’ Nitin Nadkarni is outstanding.’
‘The LHAG team is very hands-on, responsive and accessible. There appears to be no slack in their services (even when they work remotely). The partners and associates are very knowledgeable, supportive and never fail to deliver. For a large and reputable set up such as theirs, the billings remain reasonable and services are value for money. ’
‘I have worked with Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill’s (LHAG) dispute resolution team for about ten years now. A decade is a long time to work with anyone by any measure, but when it comes to legal disputes the passage of time tends to be marked with a lot of stress and uncertainty. The team at LHAG has somehow made this past decade more bearable despite such challenges, and more importantly, at all times I have felt reassured that our organisation’s litigation matters are being looked after by LHAG’s extremely competent team with the utmost care and diligence.’
‘Definitely a powerhouse when it comes to litigation and dispute resolution. Impressive competency and advocacy.’
Carlsberg Marketing Sdn Bhd
SMRT Holdings Berhad & N’osairis Secured Technologies Sdn Bhd
Fuji Logistics (M) Sdn Bhd
Dopag Dosiertechnik und Pneumatik AG & Dopag Far East Sdn Bhd
LOGOS Property Pty Ltd (LOGOS)/Area Ventures Sdn Bhd (AREA)
Lotte E&C Malaysia Sdn Bhd (Lotte)
Iswarabena Sdn Bhd
MTD ACPI Engineering Berhad (MAEB)
Siemens Malaysia Sdn Bhd (SMSB)
Mewah Group/Mewah-Oils Sdn Bhd/Mewaholeo Sdn Bhd
Kumpulan FIMA Berhad/Percetakan Keselamatan Nasional Sdn Bhd
CCCC Sixth Engineering (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd/China City Construction Sixth Construction Bureau Group Company Limited
Cypark Resources Berhad/Cypark Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Ara Damansara Development Sdn Bhd
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd
Motorola Solutions Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Matrix Concepts (Central) Sdn Bhd/BSS Development Sdn Bhd
DKLS Construction Sdn Bhd
The disputes practice at Raja, Darryl & Loh handles litigation across a broad range of sectors, spanning the construction, consumer goods and services, infrastructure and healthcare industries, as well as the technology, telecoms, energy and real estate sectors; medical negligence claims are also a niche specialism. Ng Sai Yeang leads the group; she focuses on finance and corporate litigation, handling shareholder disputes, boardroom claims and receivership and insolvency litigation. Raja Eileen Soraya has extensive experience in civil and commercial litigation, dealing with professional negligence, corporate fraud and breach of fiduciary duties cases, defamation and media litigation and administrative law proceedings.
Petron Malaysia Refining & Marketing Bhd
Petron Oil (M) Sdn Bhd
The Edge Media Group
- Represented creditors of AirAsia X Berhad (AAX) in respect of the application by AAX to the High Court for an order to convene creditors’ meetings under a scheme of arrangement pursuant to the Companies Act 2016.
- Won an appeal in the Court of Appeal representing a consultant plastic surgeon in a claim against him for medical negligence.
- Successfully defended a company and some of its directors/shareholders in an action in the High Court pursuant to section 346 of the Companies Act 2016 premised on alleged oppression, unfair discrimination and prejudice.
Jeyanthini Kannaperan leads the litigation practice at Shearn Delamore & Co, which is highly recommended for banking and finance, restructuring, insolvency and corporate disputes. It represents corporations, financial institutions and government practitioners in white-collar crime prosecutions as well as civil cases. The professional negligence group is a particular stand-out within the department, and Rodney Gomez is a key name for construction and engineering arbitration proceedings, adjudications and litigation. In addition to corporate and commercial litigation, Yee Mei Ken regularly defends media clients and news publishers in defamation and libel cases, while newly promoted partner Lilien Wong focuses on disputes involving e-commerce, telecoms and social media issues.
‘The strength of the firm lies in the depth of their manpower which stands out among all other legal firms. Shearn was one of the pioneer legal firms in the country and the fact that they have grown stronger year after year shows that they have kept up and are able to deliver what their clients need.’
‘The firm has excellent people in dispute resolution as it relates to construction contracts. They have got in-depth, excellent knowledge of international arbitration and relevant court cases.’
‘A multi-faceted team with diverse experience. Shearn is our go-to firm for matters involving property, leases, employment and disputes.’
Malaysian Resources Corporation Berhad
Medical Protection Society
Yuk Tung Construction Sdn Bhd
Ircon International Limited
CRSE Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Berhad
Giatreka Sdn Bhd
Pestech Technology Sdn Bhd
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn Bhd
Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd
- Acted for a foreign bank and its local branch with a joint exposure of over half a billion ringgit in a sale of maritime assets.
- Represented the LFI in a number of legal actions which arose out of a Musharakah Venture Facility.
- Representing an LFI to take over a conduct of a number of on-going suits involving a claim by the LFI’s customer/related parties challenging the LFI’s authority to lend under the previous licensing regime.
With a team of more than 15 senior counsel, the disputes practice at Skrine stands out for its experience across a wide variety of litigation. Key areas of expertise include commercial, civil, construction, banking, finance and tax disputes, as well as insolvency, shipping, aviation, anti-dumping and commercial fraud cases. Arbitration proceedings are also a core strength for the practice, with members of the group appearing in arbitrations conducted by the ICC, SIAC, AIAC and HKIAC. Leong Wai Hong, who has practiced in Singapore as well as Malaysia, heads up the practice, which fields up-and-coming partner Sharon Chong, who stands out for her aviation-related experience, representing lessors, financiers, reinsurers, airlines and regulatory bodies.
‘We chose Skrine after trying out many other practices. But once we started with Skrine, everything seemed to click into place for us. Not only were the several teams that we had to deal with extremely professional and attentive, their attentive and very proactive approach has been most appealing. The firm’s charges we also find reasonable when compared to the tremendous amount of time the teams have spent on our matters.’
‘The team is outstanding in the market. I would not hesitate to recommend the team if I have any matter related to the region.’
‘Sharon Chong Tze Ying – I have worked with her since 2015 and her skillset, integrity, intelligence and dedication to the case and client surprises me all the time.’
‘They go the extra mile in delivering the best solutions for the client.’
‘They are brilliant people who take their job seriously. Able to provide advice within tight timelines.’
The Customs and Tax Administration of The Kingdom of Denmark
FIAMM Energy Technology
Gerber Products Company
Mulpha International Berhad
International Business Machines Corporation(IBM)
Marina Bay Sands
Las Vegas Sands Corporation
ING Bank NV
PT Braun Pharmaceuticals Indonesia
Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad
ICBC Aviation Leasing
Sime Darby Group
Malaysia Airports Group
Hunza Properties Berhad
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
Ernst & Young
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited
Pentadbir Tanah Daerah Johor Bahru (Land Administrator of Johor Bahru)
State of Kelantan, Director of Land and Mines and Director of the Forestry Department of Kelantan
Keller (M) Sdn Bhd
Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd
MCC Overseas (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Dhaya Maju LTAT Sdn Bhd
Treasury Wine Estates
1Malaysia Development Berhad
PT Sandipala Arthaputra
Malaysia Airports (Sepang) Sdn Bhd
- Represented the Customs and Tax Administration of the Kingdom of Denmark, the plaintiff in a civil suit against multiple Malaysian entities and their officers to recover approximately RM 1 billion.
- Represented 1Malaysia Development Berhad (a Government Linked Company) and its subsidiaries in an action against the former Prime Minister of Malaysia, Datuk Seri Najib Razak, former Board members and former senior employees, and another action against Low Teck Jho (Jho Low) and his family members who are alleged to have participated in fraud on 1MDB.
- Acted as counsel for PTD in two Federal Court matters pursuant to written fiats issued by the Johor State Legal Advisor. PTD’s appeal at the Federal Court arising out of land acquisition for the construction of a centralised sewerage treatment plant (CSTP) in a RM240 million rehabilitation and rejuvenation project of the upstream Sungai Segget, Johor Bahru, Johor (Project).
Rahmat Lim & Partners is a key choice for liquidation, winding-up, insolvency and loss recovery disputes, regularly representing a diverse roster of clients ranging from financial institutions, public and private companies and accounting firms to liquidators, receivers and managers. Other core strengths in contentious work include commercial and corporate disputes, banking claims, minority oppression and shareholder disputes, and employment litigation, as well as probate and administration, professional negligence, securities and trust proceedings. Group head Jack Yow is a stand-out name for industrial relations and employment litigation, while Chong Yee Leong heads up the firm’s projects and international arbitration department.
‘The team fully understands the needs of the client and fully supports the in-house legal team of the client in all dispute resolution matters.’
- Acted for the liquidator of London Biscuit Berhad in the liquidation of London Biscuits Berhad, a public listed company in liquidation to obtain court sanction of sale of its assets.
- Acted for ACC Offshore (M) Sdn. Bhd. in a claim for misrepresentation and tort of conspiracy and causing loss by unlawful means in a claim for damages in the sum of US$12,771,380 (approximately MYR50.8 million).
- Acted for Resolution Alliance Sdn Bhd in a dispute relating to the legality of a blanket approval issued by the Minister of Finance on the recommendation of Central Bank of Malaysia for sale of non-performing loans following the 2007 global financial crisis.
Shook Lin & Bok is well known for handling banking and finance litigation, frequently acting for regulatory authorities and government-owned entities. Key areas of work include acting in asset recovery claims, receiverships and insolvencies, as well as corporate disputes. The team also stands out for its track record in handling land and real estate disputes. The group can draw on a deep and experienced bench, which is jointly led by Yoong Sin Min, Chan Kok Keong, Romesh Abraham and Lam Ko Luen.
Other key lawyers:
‘They are committed to give their best and will go “all-out” to fight the matter for their client.’
‘The group has a good sense of teamwork and a great collaborative effort to complete a task in the most effective and efficient way.’
‘SLB is well-organised and systematic. The legal fees charged are also reasonable given its stature and standing.’
‘The lawyers that I have worked with are very responsive, and they know their stuff well. They are very willing to listen to proposals and suggestions from clients, which is very important. Communication is really a two-way process in SLB. The senior partner with who I have worked within the dispute resolution department in SLB is Mr Romesh Abraham, a lawyer of nearly 40 years’ experience. He knows his job very well. He is very well supported by his juniors.’
‘We work closely with Alysha Onn and she is quick to understand our situation and the circumstances, asking appropriate questions to understand the situation and processes better. She is detailed and her command of the written language is good.’
‘Strong and established within the legal industry. Competent, professional and always ready to help. Definitely a firm to put on your speed dial.’
‘Ms Yoong Sin Min, with her vast experience and knowledge, is definitely an exceptional legal counsel.’
‘Mr Chan Kok Keong is always ready to assist and is steadfast and reliable. His calm demeanour is definitely a plus point when assisting clients handling a litigation crisis.’
AmBank (M) Berhad
United Overseas Bank Ltd
Hong Leong Bank Berhad
Public Bank Berhad
GLM Emerald Hills (Cheras) Sdn Bhd (subsidiary of Guocoland (M) Bhd)
CIMB Bank Berhad
CIMB Islamic Bank Berhad
- Represented AmBank (M) Bhd and its holding company in striking out a high-profile civil suit filed by the former Prime Minister of Malaysia.
- Succeeded in the Court of Appeal to have a jurisdiction clause in a contract interpreted in a foreign client’s favour (United Overseas Bank Limited) in a dispute concerning approximately RM500 million.
- Defended Prasarana Malaysia Bhd (owner and operator of the nation’s urban rail and stage bus services) against trespass, negligence and nuisance claim by Klang developer totalling more than RM643 million.
Wong & Partners
Wong & Partners represents major local conglomerates and publicly-listed companies as well as large multinational companies in a broad range of commercial and contracting litigation including fraud cases. A core specialism for the group lies in acting for companies in actions against employees for misfeasance, fraud and theft of confidential information. The practice is also particularly well known for handling arbitration and adjudication proceedings in the construction and engineering sector, including those concerning large-scale and high-profile construction and infrastructure projects. Group head and accomplished arbitrator Kherk Ying Chew specialises in IP and technology disputes; she also deals with employee disputes, breach of directors’ duties claims, liquidation proceedings and winding-up litigation.
‘The lawyers of Wong & Partners (W&P) always do their best for us so that ultimately we were able to obtain the best result in a lawsuit started in 2018. We fully trust them thanks to their thoughtful, well-organised, comprehensive and practical advice.’
‘The team are very professional, provide quick responses, are transparent and work together very strongly. They always give their best endeavours to provide the best services to their clients. They are also very resourceful and easy to communicate with.’
‘When a company has a legal case, it is important that proper, truthful and professional guidance is provided by a legal firm. Wong & Partners is very professional and provides honest and fair opinions to us as a client.’
Hitachi Systems Digital Services
Southern Industrial Gas/Air Liquide
Jones Lang LaSalle
Osram Opto Semiconductors (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Metrod (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
- Represented Kebabangan Petroleum Operating Company Sdn Bhd – a joint-operating company of Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd, ConocoPhillips (Sabah Gas) Ltd and Shell Energy Asia Ltd, for the purposes of the Kebabangan Cluster gas fields in offshore Sabah, Malaysia – in a claim of approximately MYR 410 million, against a supplier known as Mikuni Sdn Bhd and its directors for supplying counterfeit valves.
- Represented Panasonic Appliances Air-Conditioning Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. on a substantial claim of MYR 30.5 million against a local supplier for serious allegations of purported mismanagement, misrepresentation and possible abuse of position by a global air-conditioning manufacturer against a local supplier of parts which are used in the production of air-conditioning units to be supplied globally pursuant to an outsourcing supply agreement.
- Successfully represented Hitachi Systems Digital Services (Singapore) Pte Ltd. (Hitachi Singapore) at the High Court of Kuala Lumpur, in its claim of approximately USD 5.2 million, against Cuscapi Malaysia Sdn Bhd and Cuscapi Berhad (collectively, Cuscapi) in respect of the sale and purchase of certain hardware equipment and defended Hitachi Singapore against the counterclaim by Cuscapi.
With a number of litigation experts heading up the practice, Ariff Rozhan & Co is well prepared to handle a broad spectrum of disputes, encompassing corporate, commercial, banking and finance disputes, as well as insurance, reinsurance and energy claims. Ariff Rozhan also handles arbitration proceedings and forensic investigations; he leads the team together with Christopher Arun Francis , firm co-founder William Lim Wee Chong and Ezane Chong Ing Tze , who also advises on family and private client disputes.
‘Ariff Rozhan is an experienced and capable litigator who has practiced in both London and KL. He is very much focused on complex cases with an international element. What stands out to me is his hands-on approach where he carefully reviews the work of his team on his cases.’
‘Ariff and William stand out as they are both hard-working and dedicated to their cases and clients. Ariff has handled some important cases for international clients.’
‘Ariff Rozhan & Co is a fantastic firm. The team is strong in every aspect and focused on delivering the best services for clients. There is no weak link in the team and by not allowing themselves to grow too big, they have avoided the inevitable dilution of quality. The lawyers there are very bright, understand the markets they operate in and are not afraid to collaborate with others where it is in the client’s interest.’
‘Ariff Rozhan is a first-rate advocate. He is an absolute pleasure to deal with and very few individuals in Malaysia have an understanding of a case as he does. He is experienced in multiple jurisdictions and this adds to his authority and understanding of issues when advising clients.’
‘Ezane Chong is an excellent lawyer. There is no one better than her at handling clients and delivering on the required services. She is very intelligent and has the ability to digest large amounts of information at speed and cut through it to identify the key issues that need to be dealt with.‘
‘William Lim is a hard working lawyer who is prepared to go the extra mile for his clients. He is very bright and always thinks ten steps ahead of his opponents. He is able to cut through the issues of a case incisively and take it forward achieving the best result for his clients. He is also an excellent mentor to the junior lawyers at the firm, is very approachable and clients love him.’
‘Ariff Rozhan is very accessible and responsive. ’
‘Highly dedicated team with profound knowledge of all procedural rules surrounding Malaysian litigation and securities legislation.’
Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd
DAR Al-Handasah Consultants
Perunding Jurutera (D.A.H) Sdn Bhd
JCT Limited (public listed company in India)
Rahim & Co International Sdn Bhd
Genting Plantations Berhad
Asia Insurance Company Limited
TAHB Auto Sdn Bhd
- Advising and representing a subsidiary of Boustead Heavy Industries Corporation Berhad, in opposing winding up proceedings brought against them, arising out of an alleged debt of RM56,044,740 for work/services in relation to the construction of six Littoral Combat Ships awarded by the Ministry of Defence, Malaysia.
- Acting and representing Dar Al-Handasah Consultants, a member of the Dar Group of Companies, together with its subsidiaries, in a dispute relating to the design and construction of the Butterworth Outer Ring Road connected to the second Penang Bridge, Malaysia, before the High Court in Kuala Lumpur.
- Defending JCT Limited (a publicly listed company in India) in the High Court and Court of Appeal, in an action brought by creditors of the Plaintiffs in Malaysia, involving issues of undue preference under s293 of the Malaysian Companies Act, 1965 read with s53 of the Bankruptcy Act 1967, which are only applicable to a liquidator.
Cheah Teh & Su specialises in corporate litigation, including handling directors’ and officers’ liability claims, minority shareholders’ actions and winding-up litigation. The firm also has a strong presence in the construction sector, handling land-based litigation, construction arbitrations and adjudications, and employment disputes. Principal partner Teh Meng Teck is experienced in shareholders’ litigation and has an active asset recovery and insolvency practice; he jointly heads up the group with commercial litigation expert S Sivaneindiren .
‘The dispute resolution team led by Mr Teh Meng Teck is technically sound and very dedicated in the job. Attention is given to details and giving sound and practical advice and solutions. The team works efficiently and there is no issue in reaching out to them. Engagement is good.’
‘We engaged Cheah Teh & Su for a civil suit after talking to more than six different law firms. The team was simply the best who took lots of time listening to our case and provided us with their honest legal opinion. Comparing their knowledge and skill level with different firms which we met, Cheah Teh & Su understood the substance of the case in the very first meeting and took their time to thoroughly study our case before providing their legal opinion.’
‘They have been representing us in our legal cases since 2000. When we first met, they were actually acting for the party that we were acquiring. We found them very professional, resourceful, competent and fully committed to their job. Since then they were our main legal counsel.’
‘The firm has staff that are committed to your legal case. Research done adequately to ascertain the strengths of your case. Have good communication lines within the firm and with client to ensure early preparation for the case.’
Genting Malaysia Berhad
One Amerin Residence Sdn Bhd
Darul Usahasama Sdn Bhd
Bangi Resort Development Corporation Sdn Bhd
Kenanga Investment Bank Berhad
MTD Capital Berhad
Malaysia Debt Ventures Berhad
Rex Industry Bhd
Safeguards SEA Sdn Bhd
Gagnar Corporation Sdn Bhd
MTU Services (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Teraputics Sdn Bhd
Perbadanan Kemajuan Negeri Selangor
Sky Elite Broadcasting Sdn Bhd
- Represented Tan Boon Huat at the Federal Court to oppose Tan Boon Lee’s application to review the decision of the Federal Court. Tan Boon Lee was declared a vexatious litigant by the Federal Court and his civil suit was struck out.
- Represented GENM and its related companies in various real property, land and planning law matters.
- Represented One Amerin in an arbitration matter and succeeded in obtaining an Arbitral Award in favour of One Amerin. In related court matters in the Shah Alam High Court, we successfully opposed the contractor’s application to restrain the arbitration and the contractor’s application to remove the arbitrator.
The disputes practice at Christopher & Lee Ong conducts a wide range of general litigation, arbitration proceedings and adjudications, and is best known for handling banking, corporate and commercial, construction, employment and shipping cases. The group also has a strong track record in a broad range of other civil litigation concerning tort law, real estate disputes, wills and succession matters and insolvency and receivership claims. Practice head John Mathew is an experienced arbitrator.
‘They give practical advice and legal fees are fair and reasonable. They do legal research quickly and comprehensively. They are responsive at all times when we contacted them.’
‘They provide customised advice on the dispute at hand, as not all disputes are the same.’
Siemens Malaysia Sdn Bhd and Siemens AG
Itochu Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Malayan Banking Berhad
TH Plantations Berhad
Marubeni-Itochu Steel (M) Sdn Bhd and Marubeni-Itochu Steel Inc.
Everest Point Sdn Bhd and Amanahraya Development Sdn Bhd
TMF Trustees Malaysia Berhad
Alliance Investment Bank Berhad
China Commercial Foreign Trade (Singapore) Pte. Ltd.
- Successfully obtained an ex-parte injunction to, among others, restrain the presentation of a Letter of Credit issued by CIMB Bank Berhad (Singapore) in the value of approximately USD 6.165 million by the defendant, KLS Diversified (M) Sdn. Bhd.
- Successfully acted as counsel in this matter for the purposes of the proceedings before the Federal Court, the apex court in Malaysia.
Gan Khong Aik and Foo Joon Liang jointly lead the disputes practice at Gan Partnership, which handles a broad variety of corporate and commercial litigation, as well as banking and finance disputes. The team is also well-known for handling corporate governance work, boardroom risk issues and crisis management advisory matters. Other key areas of work include construction and engineering claims, antitrust and competition litigation, and restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
‘I am suitably impressed by the team and Foo Joon Liang and Bahari Yeow in particular, as they make time to understand clients’ instructions/intent and always have their best interests (be it on the merits of the case or even cost-effectiveness) at heart. In addition, when they are not in full agreement with the clients’ instructions on a course of action, they do not hesitate (but in a professional and respectful manner) to advise accordingly.’
‘Lim Zhi Jian – instrumental and a very commercial yet legally “sound-minded” practitioner. Humble and always willing to listen and provide the most commercially viable solutions to resolve potential disputes.’
‘Bahari Yeow – Very knowledgeable and able to provide immediate advice on complex subject matters.’
Employees Provident Fund
Asian International Arbitration Centre
Bina Puri Group of Companies
Sunway Group of Companies
IGB Group of Companies
Zelan Construction Sdn Bhd
IWG Group of Companies
OSK Properties Bhd
AmInvestment Group Bhd
Lonpac Insurance Bhd
Boon Wah Air-Conditioning Engineering Sdn Bhd
Pinggir Mentari Sdn Bhd
Sunshine Construction Sdn Bhd
Elite Alliance Engineering Sdn Bhd
Swee Premix Sdn Bhd
- Acted for in an action on the setting aside of an arbitration award worth USD4.5 million arising from a Time Charter Party Agreement before the apex court.
- Acted in a matter involving novel questions of law on the Employees Provident Fund Act 1991 at the apex court.
- Acted in a shareholders’ dispute involving a novel question of law arising from the Companies Act 2016 and the Arbitration Act 2005.
Specialist dispute firm Lim Chee Wee Partnership focuses on commercial litigation and international arbitration proceedings. Core areas of work include contractual disputes, boardroom and takeover issues, fraud investigations, recovery work, corporate restructuring matters, insolvency claims, and aviation and estate disputes. Lim Chee Wee heads up the team with Lee Shih and Kwan Will Sen, who has significant expertise in competition law and aviation disputes.
‘This practice is extremely well managed. Very proactive and excellent advisory and well coordinated strategy litigation for all their clients.’
‘A hand-picked team of the brightest minds, deploying the best advocacy in the business.’
‘High quality boutique with very strong quality of product. Small but punchy!’
‘Focused practice. Clients know the lawyers as they are very focused to their area of strength. With the specialised services to the client’s demands, the cost is very competitive hence made LCWP the best contender for the job comparable with other established well know firms. The firm also has a very good data system and has in place the required digital technology to communicate with the clients. In terms of collaboration, we have had a fantastic experience with the founding partners as they really understand their clients well. In future, perhaps the firm could improve on diversity of people engaged.’
‘There are well versed with their particular areas of law and very responsive. Clients can feel comfortable, confident and assured with the legal services received.’
‘The team led by Lim Chee Wee is extremely capable, very responsive and engenders confidence and trust with clients and parties they represent and work with.’
‘Unlike many other firms, this one gives significant partner attention to the case. Fast turnarounds. Result focused.’
‘I have found the LCWP team to be dynamic, knowledgeable and strategic in their advice to our clients. In addition to being responsive and efficient, the LCWP team is incredibly perceptive in identifying the business priorities of the client as well as the commercial “pain points” for the other side in a dispute. The team is also passionate about the law and what they do, which makes working with LCWP an enjoyable experience.’
Top Glove Corporation
BOC Aviation Ltd
Malaysia Competition Commission
Securities Commission Malaysia
Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Ltd
Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd
- Acted for the subsidiary of MISC Bhd in the RM2 billion arbitration, adjudication and court litigation against Sabah Shell Petroleum Company.
- Acting for Boustead Naval Shipyard Sdn Bhd to restructure its RM1 billion debt by way of a scheme of arrangement. This restructuring is critical in order to rescue a combat ship project which is of national interest.
- Acted in this significant matter in relation to AirAsia X Berhad’s application for leave to convene a creditors’ meeting to approve its proposed scheme of arrangement for a settlement sum of RM200 million against a RM64.15 billion debt.
MahWengKwai & Associates‘ dispute resolution group is best known for handling real estate and construction disputes, encompassing adjudications, arbitration proceedings and litigation. Other areas of work include debt recovery claims, banking litigation and commercial disputes. Raymond Mah , Gan Chong Chieh and Hannah Patrick jointly head up the practice.
‘They have been very contactable during this period. Even though the legal case has dragged on for more than four years, the team has still been following on closely. It is also interesting to note that they allow payment in cryptocurrencies.’
‘They are very attentive and use personal means such as WhatsApp to communicate and call. They are highly responsive as well, so any changes and updates are prompt.’
Muhamad Nazri Bin Muhamad
R. Yogeswari a/p R. Raman
Zurich General Insurance Malaysia Berhad
Tang Seng Cheong & Tang Sau Yin
Metropolitan Square Joint Management Body
Sime Darby Property Berhad
Wong Jie Min, Adrian, Wong Kum Chee, Heng Ah Meng, Yu Ching Leong, Heng Ah Choon, Heng Ah Aa
Manjaria Sdn Bhd
WEA Engineers & Associates Sdn Bhd
Leong Wai Cheong & Leong Kuen Wai
Industrial Concrete Products Sdn Bhd
SKA Technology Sdn Bhd
Dato Chong Chim Tiong
Linde Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Represented Muhamad Nazri Bin Muhamad against JMB Menara Rajawali for a declaration that the JMB is required to determine and fix only a single rate of maintenance charges applicable for all types of parcels.
- Advised and represented Zurich General Insurance Malaysia Berhad in various claims brought by the insured.
- Advised and represented Industrial Concrete Products Sdn Bhd in complex and high value claims.
Headed by the highly regarded Conrad Young , Sreenevasan Young is an exclusive dispute resolution set (advocates and solicitors) handling a variety of corporate and commercial disputes, as well as breach of trust, libel claims, probate and estate disputes, professional negligence, banking and insurance matters. Other key names at the firm include Lau Mark Chi-Ming and Ravindran Shanmuganathan .
The dispute resolution practice at Tay & Partners handles a range of banking litigation and insolvency matters, representing local banks, financial institutions, corporations and corporate borrowers. The team is experienced in debt recovery and restructuring work, enforcement of securities matters and receivership and liquidation claims. Group lead Leonard Yeoh also has experience in employment litigation and industrial relations claims.
‘The team supports by not only handling the dispute, it also assists the client in managing public relations.’
‘The partner in charge (Leonard Yeoh) is an excellent litigator. He is aggressive in his approach and is very well-versed in public relations management.’
Country Garden Danga Bay Sdn Bhd (a subsidiary of Country Garden Holdings Company Limited which is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange)
Grohe Malaysia and Lixil Group Corporation
Openet Telecom Malaysia and AMDOCS
Green Steel Pty Ltd
White Horse Marketing
Malayan Banking Berhad
Cuckoo International (MAL) Sdn Bhd
- Represented Country Garden Danga Bay and contributed to a landmark decision in Malaysia. New laws were created. The jurisdiction of the Tribunal for Homebuyer Claims has been defined in this case and the law on estoppel has also been advanced.
- Represented Country Garden in contesting a claim by 49 purchasers of condominium units and have successfully struck out 33 purchasers’ claims before the High Court.
- Acted for the directors of Grohe to resist a claim for, among others, defamation and workplace injury.
Zain & Co
Anita Sockalingam leads the disputes practice at Zain & Co; she is best known for her expertise in banking law and for handling complex commercial litigation. The team also has strong experience in construction litigation and arbitration proceedings, land acquisition disputes, and labour and employment matters, as well as corporate restructurings, probate and administration claims, bankruptcies and winding-up disputes.
‘The team is easily accessible whenever we require an urgent response (even during weekends). They always make it a point to highlight the latest developments in law so that the client is aware of any implications that may arise.’
‘In terms of legal fees, they are always open to negotiate on the most reasonable rate that a client is comfortable with.’
‘Miss Anita Sockalingam has been very knowledgeable in all aspects of law and has never failed to give us excellent services and opinions. She has also done a very good job in training her junior lawyers which is good succession planning.’
‘Zain & Co through their partnership with Dentons have continuously provided top notch legal advice and dispute resolution services. They have successfully integrated cloud platforms to ensure that their clients are always in the loop and have access to all relevant documentation. Zain has always taken practical, commercially oriented and cost-saving approaches to all its cases and has provided excellent guidance on various legal matters.’
Projek Lintasan Sungai Besi-Ulu Klang Sdn. Bhd.
General Wireless Operations Inc.
Sime Darby Plantation Berhad
Institut Jantung Negara Sdn Bhd
Turnpike Synergy Sdn. Bhd
Projek Lintasan Kota Holdings Sdn Bhd
Hitachi Vantara Sdn Bhd
- Acted for the client in resisting an action to challenge charges created by the (project) employer in favour of the client as security for monies owing to the client.
- Acted for Sime Darby Plantation Berhad and The Pataling Rubber Estates Ltd in land references relating to the acquisition of land from the landowners’ fully operational palm oil estate, in which objections were simultaneously filed by the Lembaga Lebuhraya Malaysia being the acquiring authority, on behalf of the concessionaire company, West Coast Expressway Sdn Bhd (WCE), wherein the latter parties had sought for a decrease of the compensation awarded by the Land Administrator, Kuala Selangor.
- Acted in a wide range of litigation, arbitration and adjudication disputes in relation to mega elevated expressway project(s) in the Klang Valley.
Zul Rafique & Partners represents clients in a broad range of civil, commercial and corporate claims, encompassing securities and derivative actions, debt recovery claims, insolvency litigation and shareholder disputes. Other core specialisms cover media and defamation cases, public and administrative law mandates, and insurance and coverage disputes. T. Kuhendran leads the specialist construction dispute resolution and arbitration team, while P Jayasingam heads up the general litigation and employment and industrial relations practice groups.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive and puts every effort to ensure that the client has the best case presented in court. Excellent pre-trial preparatory work with client.’
‘My dealings are primarily with P. Thavaselvi. She gives 110% to her clients in terms of responsiveness and effectiveness of advice rendered.’
LGM Properties Corp
Nationwide Express Holding
PETRONAS Refinery and Petrochemical Corp
Hwang Capital (Malaysia) Bhd
East Coast Economic Region Development Council
PETRONAS Dagangan Berhad
Labuan Shipyard & Engineering Sdn Bhd
Sapura Industrial Berhad
Bank Pembangunan Malaysia Berhad
PC Manufacturing Solutions Holdings Sdn Bhd
Iskandar Investment Bhd
CMC Engineering Sdn Bhd
Pembinaan Mitrajaya Sdn Bhd
Ferrier Hodgson MH Sdn Bhd
Exyte Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Public Bank Berhad
Gadang Holdings Bhd
SGC ETEC E&C (M) Sdn Bhd
Boustead Petroleum Marketing Sdn Bhd
Nationwide Express Holdings Berhad
Bank of China (Malaysia) Berhad
CHEP (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Plantation Berhad
Telekom Sales & Services Sdn Bhd
Telekom Malaysia Berhad
Pengerang Refining Company Sdn Bhd
Radimax Group Sdn Bhd
Cita Kapital Sdn Bhd
Medivest Sdn Bhd
Lola Rose Jewellery Limited
Suria KLCC Sdn Bhd
- Successfully obtained an order to enforce an adjudication decision granted in favour of the main contractor i.e. the client (plaintiff) in the sum of MYR10,053,537.15, and successfully resisted the employer (defendant)’s application to set aside the same.
- Acted for Bank Rakyat in a claim against their former chairman and managing directors and several other individuals/entities for, among others, breach of fiduciary duties and recovery of an approximate sum of RM14,000,000 which the Bank contends was wrongfully paid out to third parties.
- Succeeded in obtaining Letters of Administration from the High Court in Labuan for a client in Indonesia whose father had passed away leaving assets in the form of shares in a Labuan company.
The disputes practice at AmerBON is comprised of a criminal law set led by Amer Hamzah Bin Arshad and a civil set led by Edmund Bon Tai Soon. The firm stands out for handling corporate fraud, white-collar crime and money laundering prosecutions, as well as shareholder disputes, public interest litigation and occupational health and safety cases.
‘Experience and knowledge in litigation, corporate and human rights- an important, unique combination that is key to business operation (especially in the space of emerging sustainability and the ESG agenda).’
‘The teamwork is excellent. They are very responsive and communicate with the client efficiently. They answer all queries and advise their client on the strategy of the case.’
‘The firm comprises a team with members who always bring fresh and modern ideas to best cater to the clients’ needs. Unlike most firms in Malaysia, it has managed to be up to date without the cost of compromising experience and expertise. They represent you to get the best outcome possible, with competitive fees.’
‘Amer Hamzah, head of chambers (criminal) is professional, calm, charismatic, experienced and knowledgeable. More importantly, he has a way of making clients feel respected and at the same time secure.’
Bersih & Adil Network Sdn Bhd, Malaysian Academic movement (Gerak), Suara Inisiatif Sdn Bhd (Suaram), The Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH), Save Rivers Sdn Bhd, The Centre for Independent Journalism (CIJ) & Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara (Aliran)
Nurul Rifayah Binti Muhammad Iqbal & 17 others
Datuk Azhar Azizan Harun and Dato’ Mohd Rashid Hasnon
Asylum Access Berhad (operating as Asylum Access) and Aimal Sdn Bhd (operating as Amnesty International Malaysia)
Valarmathy a/p Supramaniam
Muhammad Aiman Hafizi
Datuk Seri Panglima Abdul Azeez bin Abdul Rahim
Amirruddin bin Nin
Chong Ton Sin & Ngeo Boon Lin
Yio Lim Choong, Gam Chai Ling, Low Rui Tai, Liew San Yuan & Ng Wee Hau
NWP Holdings Bhd
SWM Greentech Sdn Bhd
FGV Kernel Products Sdn Bhd
FGV Palm Industries Sdn Bhd
FGV Holdings Bhd
Yew Onn Chong
The London Borough of Havering
Faekah binti Haji Husin, Rohany binti Dato’ Talib, Afra’eza binti Abdul Aziz, Mustapha bin Mohd Talib, Rahimah binti Kamarudin, Abdul Halim Mohamed Yusof & Tuan Nazuri Tuan Ismail
- Acted for the clients in a claim by the plaintiffs (MBI) to return RM2.7 million. MBI alleged that the clients committed breaches of trust and fiduciary duties, and conspiracy to injure. The clients succeeded in resisting the claim in the apex Federal Court.
- Acting for the client in the on-going court actions connected to a dispute among the shareholders and directors: the validity of an Extraordinary General Meeting is being challenged.
- Acted for Datuk Seri Panglima Abdul Azeez bin Abdul Rahim, charged with corruption and money laundering offences in the total sum of RM144.5 million.
Cyrus Das Advocates & Solicitors
Dispute resolution boutique Cyrus Das Advocates & Solicitors handles appellate work in the Malaysian Federal Court. Well-known senior practitioner Cyrus Das focuses on constitutional and administrative law mandates, and also handles corporate and commercial cases.
Harold & Lam Partnership
Dispute resolution is at the core of Harold & Lam Partnership‘s practice, headed up by Harold Tan Kok Leng and Rohan Arasoo A/L Jeyabalah. The team handles a wide range of litigation, centring on commercial and contractual matters; the team’s expertise also encompasses employment, insolvency, oil and gas, banking and finance, tax and family disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Chan Jia Ying
‘I have worked with Rohan Arasoo from Harold & Lam Partnership on many cases. I find him and his team very efficient and resourceful, which makes working with them very easy and seamless. Their knowledge of the areas of law we have dealt with in our cases together is also very good, as is their use of technology.’
‘I mainly deal with Harold Tan who is supported mainly by Jia Ying. This team is very knowledgeable, experienced, responsive, diligent and thorough, or if you like, efficient and effective.’
‘HLP has defined their practice through attentive client care and in-depth knowledge in the areas of construction and commercial disputes. Their close-knit team makes it easy and smooth for legal matters to be sorted out and the adoption of the latest IT capabilities makes them versatile in handling a multitude of matters regardless of location or complexity of the subject-matter.’
Syarikat Bukit Granite Sdn Bhd
Ocned Water Technology Sdn Bhd
Ong Yew Teik
Roxwell Group Sdn Bhd
Al-Ambia Sdn Bhd
Setiakon Builders Sdn Bhd
NBC Land Sdn Bhd
Eterbina Development Sdn Bhd
Target Resources Sdn Bhd
EPP Equipment Sdn Bhd
Altus Oil & Gas Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Fajarbaru Builder Sdn Bhd
- Successfully represented the client in a contractual dispute involving the sale of shares in the sum of RM 8,018,225. The dispute was first filed in the High Court in 2007, and subsequently went all the way to the apex court and which finally resolved in the client’s favour.
- Successfully represented the client in its claim against the glass and aluminium façade subcontractors in a high-rise office building project.
- Defending a High Court action commenced by a subcontractor to claim for monies allegedly payable in respect of a project relating to the construction of a highway, amounting to RM 90 million.
Izral Partnership focuses on civil, commercial and corporate litigation and arbitration proceedings. Mohd Izral Khairy is a key name in the firm for fraud and forensic investigations, asset tracing work and preservation and defamation cases. Wong Guo Bin specialises in employment and fraud disputes and construction arbitrations, while Tharminder Singh and Aravind Kumarr focus on shareholder disputes and corporate insolvencies.
‘Always go the extra mile to understand the client’s issues and to understand the background of each case. Provide consistent quality advice on strategy and tactics throughout a dispute. Will fight to the end for the client. Also have good experience in HR matters.’
‘Wong Guo Bin has the ability to provide clear and concise advice that is to the point. He is able to grasp the issues quickly and is a steady hand even in the heat of battle. Will jump into the trenches with you until the war is won.’
‘The partners I have worked with are very knowledgeable and experienced in their respective areas of law. They are very supportive and reliable (including being available for discussion and advice at all times- including after office hours and at short notice). The firm has a strong support team which gives you the confidence that your case will be in good hands. ’
‘They continue to be the “go-to” firm for fraud cases because of their sound legal advice and case strategy. They are able to spot things others can’t see by doing extensive investigations into a matter and then putting the puzzle pieces together to paint an easy picture for everyone to see how the fraud occurred. I have never seen another law firm capable of doing what they do in civil fraud. They have also fully embraced the digital era by being able to work on the go and liaising with their clients and collaborating remotely. Despite the various lockdowns imposed in Malaysia, this firm has continuously been reachable by clients and collaborating firms.’
‘Mohd Izral Khairy is a leading figure in Malaysia for civil fraud cases and is the main reason why Izral Partnership is the firm they are today. His in-depth knowledge on the law and ability to strategically put up the best case possible for his clients (whether his clients are suing or being sued) is well regarded.’
‘Aravind Kumar constantly provides sound commercial advice and always communicates without legal jargon so his clients are able to understand their cases better.’
‘Izral Partnership is unique in that they have an excellent team of juniors, senior juniors, and seniors. Their strength is to take a complicated case and forensically analyse the facts and issues and come out with a coherent storyboard moving forward. Their research skills are very good and their client handholding is likewise very good.
‘I have worked primarily with the senior partner Izral and his set of juniors in many cases. Izral’s strength, apart from being able to marshal his team and get the best out of them is to think of strategies and solutions in respect of the cases we do together. Izral’s mind is always ticking.’
Eco World Development Group Berhad (and group of companies)
Seriemas Development Sdn Berhad
Star Media Group Berhad (and group of companies)
First Nationwide Group (and group of companies)
TH Heavy Engineering Berhad (and group of companies)
Kumpulan Hamzah-Kwong Hing Realty Sdn Bhd (and group of companies)
Malaysian Allied Health Sciences Academy Sdn Bhd (and group of companies)
Media Prima Berhad
UDA Holdings Berhad
Beverly Group Sdn Bhd (and group of companies)
- Successfully acted for TH Heavy Engineering Berhad and its 80% owned subsidiary in striking out a legal action seeking for damages of MYR 74.8 million.
- Successfully acted for BBCC Development Sdn Bhd in setting aside an ex-parte injunction wrongfully obtained against it in respect of certain construction works linked to the Bukit Bintang City Centre development.
- Successfully acted for MAHSA in striking out a civil action by an individual premised on the non-existent right of a private cause of action under the Personal Data Protection Act, 2010.
Josephine, L K Chow & Co‘s dispute resolution department covers a range of litigation, encompassing commercial and corporate matters, construction disputes and estate claims as well as arbitration proceedings and adjudication actions. The team is jointly led by Cyndi Chow Li Kian , Yip Huen Weng and Edward Saw Keat Leong.
‘Apart from their expertise in handling legal matters in Malaysia, they have lawyers who speak Japanese which makes it easy to communicate (especially when we require the involvement of our head office in Japan).’
‘Their understanding of Japanese language and culture is a big advantage.’
‘Ms. Cyndi Cho is knowledgeable and very efficient.’
St John Ambulans Malaysia
Dato Yeo Kim Thong
Dato Dr. Low Bin Tick
Kirana Management Corporation
Nissei Build Asia Pte Ltd
Ong Lu Peng (Howard)
Liew Hock Leong (Bob)
Scrumptious Delight Sdn Bhd
- Acting for Scrumptious Delight Sdn Bhd, who had been sued for the alleged non-payment of outstanding rental by Smart Legacy Sdn Bhd, the licensor of the Empire Food Court in MYTOWN Shopping Centre, a well known shopping centre in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, for the tenancy of one unit of a premise at the Empire Food Court.
- Representing LIMMAS (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, a Malaysian company selling personal protection equipment and nitrile gloves. In fighting the Covid-19 pandemic, LIMMAS was embroiled in its own battle against two local companies, HAC Global Sdn Bhd and HAC Medical Sdn Bhd for the fraudulent use of LIMMAS’s trade name and certification on the nitrile glove packaging of HAC Companies brand of gloves (BOSCO).
- Representing St John Ambulans Malaysia, Dato Yeo Kim Thong and Dato Dr. Low Bin Tick in a suit filed by PJ Uniform Sdn Bhd to impeach the Judgment and Order obtained by St John Ambulans Malaysia against PJ Uniform Sdn Bhd in year 2014 for trade mark infringement and passing off. PJ uniform Sdn Bhd also claims for damages for fraud, conspiracy to defraud and tortious interference.
Lee & Koh
Lee & Koh covers a broad variety of disputes, with a notable focus on corporate and commercial disputes, corporate banking litigation and insolvency claims, restructuring and receivership mandates as well as family, probate and general litigation. The practice stands out for handling highway and land-related cases in particular. Koh Yew Chong, Irwan Ismail, Justin Leong Chee C’Jun and Chong Choh Yoon jointly head up the group.
‘The person we work with is Justin Leong – he is clear and bold and is good at providing information. This helps clients get a clearer understanding of the law and knowing what aspects they can move ahead on.’
AmBank (M) Berhad
AmBank Islamic Berhad
Besraya Sdn Bhd
CIMB Bank Berhad
Denai Alam Riding Club Sdn Bhd
Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (Kuala Lumpur Town Council)
Industrial Concrete Products Sdn Bhd
Lebuhraya Kajang-Seremban Sdn Bhd
New Pantai Expressway Sdn Bhd
Plaza Premium Lounge Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Reservoir Link Sdn Bhd
West Coast Expressway Sdn Bhd
- Advised West Coast Expressway on the acquisition of lands for the construction of the expressway.
- Advised AmBank Islamic Berhad on Islamic Banking disputes.
Liza Khan & Sankey
Boutique firm Liza Khan & Sankey represents clients ranging from multinational companies and non-profit organisations to government-linked entities. Areas of experience include corporate and commercial disputes, insolvency and receivership claims, company and securities law, probate issues, trust litigation and defamation cases. Commercial litigator and arbitrator Norliza Rasool Khan jointly heads up the practice with Sunita Shalini Sankey, who handles employment, family, mental health and land disputes.
‘The team has provided overall really good, business savvy advice where needed. Turnaround time is usually quite efficient and the firm can always be relied on for urgent matters with short turnaround times. The quality of the work is quite above par and Ms Liza sees to everything that goes out by her team to ensure the standard is maintained. They are easy to approach and always go the extra mile to ensure the advice given is holistic.’
‘The team is extremely effective and efficient. In that, they emphasise a great deal in the incorporation of technology to providing better; quicker and more responsive legal assistance. They are simply available 24/7. Simply commendable.’
‘The partner, Sunita Sankey is a hands-on solicitor. She is supportive and able to present the pros and cons of a situation. Unlike many lawyers who encourage more legal cases, Sunita prioritised the cases, and advised not to have cases which winnings may not bring great benefit. She builds good rapport with client and provides regular updates. This team is strong in corporate cases and civil cases.’
‘I like the personal touch and involvement of the partner. Response from the partner is usually very prompt.’
Alfa-Meli Oilfield Services Sdn Bhd
Herbalife Products (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Datin Noor Habibah Binti Arshad
Envac Scandinavia A.b. Human Resources Development Fund
Herbalife Global Business Centre Sb
Suria Labs Development Sdn Bhd
Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd
Sepang International Circuit Sdn Bhd
Mimir Sdn Bhd
Tan Peng Sam
Rachel Lau Mei (Past President of Malaysia Gymnastic Federation)
Tan Poh Lee
Malaysian Trustees Berhad
Bumi Data Mining Sdn Bhd
Vroc Sdn Bhd
- Defending Alfa-Meli Oilfield Services Sdn Bhd and another for purported breach of an Engineering Contract and Fabrication contract and settlement Agreement dated 2 December 2013.
- Represented an individual in a multi-suit and multi-party series of disputes between members of a family following the incapacity and subsequent demise of the patriarch.
- Representing Datin Noor Habibah Binti Arshad in her claim against a major bank in Malaysia for equitable relief of unjust enrichment and breach of constructive trust.
Specialist dispute resolution practice Malik Imtiaz Sarwar represents clients in corporate and commercial litigation, civil disputes including fraud claims, estate claims, real estate disputes, defamation cases, and constitutional and administrative law mandates. Name partner Malik Imtiaz Sarwar is also a highly regarded arbitrator.
Highly experienced adjudicator, arbitrator and mediator Nahendran Navaratnam leads the team at dispute resolution boutique Navaratnam Chambers. Navaratnam handles litigation involving commercial and company law, contracts, land law, tax, media and competition issues, as well as trust and equity claims, defamation cases, project and energy work, and financing disputes.
‘I always find it a privilege to work with Navaratnam Chambers. They see arguments that would ordinarily escape many other lawyers. They are at the top of their game in carrying the most difficult and complex arguments.’
‘Nahendran Navaratnam – his ability to reduce the most complex arguments into bite size pieces is most impressive.’
‘The firm is a barrister-like set and is engaged for advocacy-related work. One of the top-tier firms in town.’
‘Mr Nahendran Navaratnam is a brilliant advocate. He is able to break down complex legal arguments in simple terms, and is highly persuasive. A true gentleman and he sees through issues and legal arguments with clarity.’
‘Navaratnam Chambers is unique purely because of Mr Nahendran Navaratnam, the principal partner who acts as counsel in many of his cases. He is a lawyer of extreme distinction. He not only thinks outside of the box, he can think outside of the whole crate of boxes! His knowledge of the law is second to none, his articulation and delivery is also second to none.’
Led by name partner Rosli Dahlan, the dispute resolution group at Rosli Dahlan Saravana Partnership handles the full range of contentious mandates and is a key name for appellate advocacy work. Dahlan has notable expertise in cross-border claims and regularly handles public, administrative and constitutional matters, while D.P. Naban excels in tax litigation.
Tan Sri Dato’ Haji Muhyiddin Yassin
1Malaysia Development Berhad
SRC International Sdn Bhd
DKLS Sunshine Sdn Bhd
YB Maria Chin Abdullah
Sapura Energy Berhad
Petroliam Nasional Berhad (PETRONAS)
YB Khaliq Mehtab
Measat Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Plantation Berhad
- Representing Prime Minister YAB Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin in a defamation Suit against former Member of Parliament Datuk Dr Mohd Puad Zarkashi.
- Representing DKLS in a judicial review against the Penang State Government on a compulsory land acquisition of DKLS’ land. Successfully reached a settlement where the State withdrew acquisition and paid compensation to client.
The dispute resolution department at Steven Thiru & Sudhar Partnership is best known for construction and energy sector arbitration proceedings and litigation, where it represents public utilities providers and power plants. The group also handles a broad range of banking, commercial and insurance disputes. Steven Thiruneelakandan , who has extensive experience in infrastructure and project-related litigation, jointly heads up the practice with arbitrator Sudharsanan Thillainathan.
‘Have excellent team work. Prepare documents well and good presentation in Court. Able to challenge the opponent and prove the facts to the Court. People are friendly and professional. Billings are reasonable, technology is advance, diversity and collaboration are good.’
‘Accessible, diligent, and dependable team.’
‘The firm provides prompt response and quality advice supported with sound decision. Always available when needed. The firm also provides knowledge sharing article on some cases of interest that it is handling from time to time via email.’
Asia Pacific Higher Learning Sdn. Bhd.
MRT Corp Sdn Bhd
Dah Sing Insurance Agency Limited
Tenaga National Bhd
Dah Sing Insurance Company (1976) Limited
Austen Powder (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
KSK Group Bhd
Liputan Canggih Sdn Bhd
Great Eastern General Insurance (M) Berhad
Pengurusan Aset Air Berhad
- Acting for the KSK Group Bhd, the employer for the 8 Conlay Project, in resisting the former main contractor’s originating summons for interim measures against the employer pending arbitration in respect of construction assets on site consequential to the termination of a construction contract.
- Acting for AirAsia Berhad (AAB) and AirAsia X Berhad (AAX) on their application to strike out 2018 suits from Malaysian Airports (Sepang) Sdn. Bhd.
- Acted as counsel for Asia Pacific Higher Learning Sdn. Bhd in a dispute pertained to the decisions made by the respondent in the evaluation and accreditation of the local medical programmes and the termination of the offshore medical programmes.