Firms in the Spotlight Dispute resolution
Logan Sabapathy & Co
Logan Sabapathy & Co’s dispute resolution department centres on Logan’s practice as counsel, assisted by his juniors. Logan’s work covers all areas of commercial law, with a particular focus on complex commercial and corporate disputes. Over the years, he has acted for clients in a broad range of cases with multi-millions in dispute. Some of …View Profile...
Chambers of R. Sivagnanam & Associates
DISPUTE RESOLUTION The Chambers of R Sivagnanam & Associates or “RSA Chambers” as we have come to be known, was established in July 1999. At the beginning we stood at the threshold of “Y2k” and the aftermath of the 1997 Economic crisis.View Profile...
Dispute resolution in Malaysia
Dispute resolution boutique Cecil Abraham And Partners handles a range of both arbitration and litigation with experience in contractual, tortuous, privacy and breach of confidence claims, white collar crime and corporate governance disputes as well as contentious public and administrative issues. Cecil Abraham heads the practice and boasts a breadth of expertise.
Chooi & Company and Cheang & Ariff's practice spans corporate and commercial litigation as well as criminal law and public interest disputes. 'Top litigator' Loh Siew Cheang heads the practice and focuses on high-profile business and corporate disputes, while Ira Biswas has particular insolvency law, commercial frauds, and banking litigation expertise. Other names to note include Christopher Leong, who has experience in a range of corporate disputes, as well as administrative law, and public interest litigation; Cindy Goh Joo Seong, who handles a range of commercial disputes, intellectual property and contentious tax matters, and senior associate Ariel On Xiu Tao.
Loh Siew Cheang
‘With the uncertainties of litigation, the least you can do is be certain of the quality of the lawyers representing you.‘
‘They were able to intricately dissect the issues and able to execute or defend the issues that we had.‘
‘A top litigation practice in KL.‘
‘Cindy Goh is an exceptional litigation lawyer with an ability to provide in-time practical advice that makes business sense.‘
‘Cindy Goh Joo Seong genuine interest in getting good outcomes for her clients. Forte is in intellectual property.‘
‘Dato Loh Siew Cheang is the leading authority on company law and a formidable appeal advocate.‘
‘Tan Ming Li is approachable, practical and experience in corporate matters.‘
‘Chong Wei Lung is practical, experienced and knowledgeable.‘
‘Abdullah Abdul Rahman-strategic and experienced litigation.‘
‘Dato’ Loh is highly experienced with a good ability to get an overview of highly complex litigation and very sound judgment.‘
‘Kelvin Seet a top litigator, very much a details man – a safe pair of hands, with good insight and an imaginative approach to problem-solving.‘
Loob Holding Sdn Bhd
Convoy Global Holdings and its group of companies (Hong Kong)
Chew Meu Jong
Boulevard Plaza Sdn Bhd
AirAsia X Berhad
Azimuth Marine Sdn Bhd
Econsave Cash & Carry Sdn Bhd
Arkema Thiochemicals Sdn Bhd
Green Packet Berhad
- Successfully represented Semantan Estate in an trespass action against the Government of Malaysia for where it was successfully argued that a compulsory acquisition process in the 1950s was unlawful.
- Acted for Loob Holding Sdn Bhd in arbitration proceedings against La Kaffa International Co in a dispute related to a franchise agreement.
- Advised a company based in Papua New Guinea in an action against a previous general manager, director and supplier for amongst others, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of trust and obtaining secret profits.
Led by 'experienced and capable partners', Lee Hishammuddin Allen & Gledhill's dispute resolution team handles a full range of contentious matters including commercial disputes, banking and insolvency litigation, and construction and real estate disputes with clients benefiting from it being 'part of a seamless, multi disciplinary firm'. With a breadth of experience across civil and commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings, Lambert Rasa-Ratnam heads up the practice which includes: Nitin Nadkarni, who heads the international arbitration team, and Kumar Kanagasingam who is highlighted for banking and insolvency disputes. Other names to note include 'persuasive and quick thinking' capital market and securities litigator SM Shanmugam — who is 'a formidable figure both in and out of the courtroom' — and Darshendev Singh who handles a range of litigation and alternative dispute resolution with a particular focus on those relating to construction, engineering, oil & gas, and infrastructure projects. corporate litigation expert Rosli Dahlan has left the firm to form Rosli Dahlan Saravana Partnership.
‘SM Shanmugam has a positive energy and a can-do attitude, even in the face of adversity; no legal or technical challenge is insurmountable.’
‘High level of professionalism and the urge of meeting client’s needs.‘
‘They are a dependable team of lawyers, very result-oriented, extremely thorough and always well-prepared for meetings/negotiations, and produce quality results despite deadline pressure.‘
‘With them, I always feel that my company’s matters were in adept and trustworthy hands.‘
‘Darshendev Singh is very focused and constantly thinking outside the lines to come up with creative ways to solve a complex problem.’
‘Nitin Nadkarni is an excellent litigator and strategist.’
Cypark Resources Berhad
Winix America Inc
Securities Commission Malaysia
DRB Hicom Berhad (Puspakom)
Two subsidiaries of S P Setia Berhad: Perumahan Kinrara Berhad and Bandar Eco-Setia Sdn Bhd
Malaysian United Indigenous Party or Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM)
Versatile Creative Bhd
Malayan Banking Berhad
- Represented Cypark Resources Berhad in a claim brought by Huls Engineering Sdn Bhd for payment for work carried out by Huls Geosynthetics and a counterclaim for rectification costs and damages as a result of Huls Geosynthetics’ delay in completing the works in relation to the development of a solid waste disposal sites.
- Acting for Puspakom in a claim against Strateq Data Centre fro recovery of critical server and network equipment belonging to Puspakom.
- Represented Winix America Inc in a dispute concering foreign manufacturer’s obligations and warranties for supply of goods where the negotiations and contract took place in America and the goods were shipped from South Korea to Malaysia.
Strong across arbitration, adjudication and litigation, Raja, Darryl & Loh's dispute resolution is best known for its strength in handling medical negligence, construction, media and tax matters. Practice head Murugaiah Rajasekaran has experience across general corporate, commercial and civil litigation; Wei Mun Chang and Hon Leng Choon focus on construction disputes, and Raja Eileen Soraya Raja Aman is a name to note for defense of medical negligence and malpractice claims and media law. Arbitration specialist Huey Miin Ooi counts oil and gas, power generation and manufacturing among his sector specialisms while litigator Sai Yeang Ng has particular banking and finance expertise.
Other key lawyers:
Chang Wei Mun; Choon Hon Leng; Raja Eileen Soraya; Ooi Huey Miin; Ng Sai Yeang
Medical Protection Society of the United Kingdom
ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Malaysia Inc
S P Setia Group
Petron Malaysia Group
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Berhad
The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd
Dominant Opto Technologies Sdn Bhd
- Represented Serudong Power Sdn Bhd in arbitration proceedings against Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd to recover a shortfall in capacity and energy payments under a Power Purchase Agreement.
- Represented Indian and Singaporean incorporated oil and gas companies that are embroiled in a cross-border arbitration with the Government of India related to a production sharing contract for an oil and gas field in India.
- Represented KL Eco City Sdn Bhd in a claim arising from the collapse of a pedestrian bridge across the Klang River, connecting KL Eco City to the Mid Valley City.
The 'very reliable, knowledgeable, efficient' dispute resolution practice at Shearn Delamore & Co handles a range of commercial, corporate and banking disputes, and carves a particular niche in professional negligence litigation. Practice head Jeyanthini Kannaperan handles a range of banking and finance, land and corporate disputes; Rabindra S Nathan represents clients in corporate and commercial litigation, banking, insolvency litigation and international commercial arbitration, while Rodney Gomez has particular experience in infrastructure and construction disputes. Other names to note include K Shanti Mogan, who has particular technology, data protection and entertainment sector experience; Dhinesh Bhaskaran is an expert in product liability, medical malpractice and insurance disputes. Robert Lazar retired from the practice.
‘Shearn Delamore & Co. team provides sound legal advice, in-depth analysis of complex issues and effective & innovative solutions to various issues.‘
‘The team handles arbitration constructively and pragmatically.‘
‘They have a very reliable, knowledgeable, efficient and hard-working team who help clients in understanding the various issues and suggest best solutions and way forward.‘
‘Highly efficient and always available, they are very practical and sensible and easy to work with.‘
‘Exceptional analysis of the law and the wider context of the case.‘
‘Rodney Gomez and his team are very knowledgeable, efficient and hard-working team. They always provide appropriate solutions to problems with in-depth analysis of complex issues within the tight timelines of international arbitration.‘
The Nielsen Company (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Muhammad Jimmy Goh Mashun
Star Media Group Berhad
GS Realty Sdn Bhd
Cosmopolitan Avenue Sdn Bhd/ Mammoth Empire Holding Sdn Bhd
Malay Mail Sdn Bhd
- Defending the Administrator for Malaysian Airline System Berhad in claims brought by the next of kin of flight crew and crew members for compensation arising from the crash of MH17 on 17th July 2014.
- Defending SSTwo Mall Sdn Bhd in claims brought by three of its tenants for wrongfully termination following closure of a Shopping Centre midway through the tenancies.
- Represented a foreign multinational in a dispute relating to its proposed acquisition of a majority stake in a public listed pharmaceutical group.
With 'one of the largest dedicated teams for complex disputes in the Malaysian market', Skrine's dispute resolution practice offer 'consistently high quality work' delivered by 'professional and responsive quick thinkers'. 'Outstanding lawyer' Wai Hong Leong handles a range of commercial litigation and arbitration proceedings and heads up the team which includes 'excellent advocate' Chee Wee Lim, who has experience across the oil and gas offshore sector, regulatory disputes and fraud litigation; Preetha Pillai, who focues on fraud litigation, and administrative and public law litigator Vijay Raj. Other names to note include international arbitration and insolvency specialist Lee Shih and Sharon Chong Tze Ying who has expertise across aviation, competition disputes and regulatory enforcement proceedings.
Wai Hong Leong
‘They act for some of the largest companies in high-value disputes and have strong depth of expertise and institutional knowledge.‘
‘Lim Chee Wee is strategic and tactical. Undoubtedly the grandmaster in this area of practice.‘
‘Sharon Chong is very willing to roll up her sleeves and get the work done. Meticulous, with a strong work ethic and very easy to get along with.‘
‘Leong Wai Hong was knowledgeable in the area of the law in my case and it was very assuring that I had a lawyer of such high calibre acting for me .‘
‘Lim Chee Wee’s quiet cross examination style put witnesses at ease and resulted in them making admissions which they were not aware were damaging to their company’s case.‘
‘Lee Shih is a rising star and a confident advocate, who gives sound commercial advice.‘
‘They are ably supported by associate Geraldine Goon, who works hard on the detail of the matter in the background and is one to watch for the future.‘
‘Ashok Kumar is a very competent litigator able to think quick on his feet.‘
‘Jocelyn Lim is a very capable litigator more than able to hold her own. She is very easy to work with.‘
‘Associate Joanna Tan is very helpful and efficient. Was able to provide advice and assistance independently.‘
Securities Commission Malaysia
Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
Nam Cheong Ltd
Malaysia Competition Commission
Top Glove Berhad
PETRONAS Gas Berhad
Bintang Subsea Ventures (M) Sdn Bhd
Pelangi Prestasi Sdn Bhd
Prestariang SKIN Sdn Bhd
- Acted for Gumusut-Kakap Semi-Floating Production System Labuan Ltd (a subsidiary of MISC Bhd) in a RM2bn arbitration against Sabah Shell Petroleum Company.
- Represented BDO Consulting Sdn Bhd in a landmark Federal Court matter that changed the law on liquidated damages in Malaysia.
- Acted for Echelon Claims Consultant in a dispute relating to the duty of a lawyer in the case of a fraudulent land transfer.
The dispute resolution team at Rahmat Lim & Partners has experience across a full range of contentious matters and attracts praise for its 'knowledge of the local environment'. Practice head Jack Yow focuses corporate, banking, industrial relations and employment law litigation, while Chong Yee Leong heads the projects and international arbitration practice, which includes Kamilah Kasim and 'strong junior partner' Allen Choong who has particular projects disputes and international arbitration experience. Other names to note include Chong Boon Leong for arbitration and arbitration-related disputes and commercial litigators Daphne Koo and Yap Yeow Han.
Jack Yow; Chong Yee Leong
‘The firm has deep resources and able to staff a full team to deal with our matter. Junior members have been well trained and able to assist with the matter effectively.‘
‘They have good availability and attention to the clients, as well as agility in preparing the required legal documentation.‘
‘Chong, Boon Leong provides sound legal advice and is able to connect and engage parties involved effectively.‘
‘Allen Choong keeps on top of multiple work streams and gives the client timely updates on progress.‘
- Acted for Kontron Asia Pacific Design Sdn Bhd and Kontron S&T AG in claims against nine defendants for inter alia, breach of director’s duties, tort of conspiracy and dishonest assistance.
- Acted for Syn Tai Hung Trading Sdn Bhd breach of duty to exercise reasonable care, skill and diligence against its former CEO.
- Acted CSquared Link Holdings in the recovery of funds which were transferred to the defendants through a cyber fraud attack.
Shook Lin & Bok's dispute resolution practice has experience across a full range of litigation and arbitration. The group is jointly led by Sin Min Yoong — who is strong for banking and finance, land law and commercial litigation — and labour and industrial disputes expert Romesh Abraham. Ko Luen Lam focuses on arbitration, construction disputes, civil and corporate litigation. Former managing partner Nagarajah Muttiah left the practice to establish Nagarajah Advocates and Solicitors.
Sin Min Yoong; Romesh Abraham
Other key lawyers:
Wong & Partners has experience in a full range of contentious matters and counts disputes relating to construction and engineering, intellectual property, employment, islamic finance and debt recovery among its specialisms. Noted for his stregnths in civil litigation, arbitration and corporate compliance, Kherk Ying Chew heads up the practice which includes Mohd Arief Emran Arifin who has experience across a range of litigation and arbitration proceedings.
Kherk Ying Chew
Other key lawyers:
BT Malaysia Sdn. Bhd
Sonoco Products (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
BEWG (M) Sdn Bhd & Loyal Engineering Sdn Bhd
PCPP Operating Company Sdn Bhd
Syarikat T.D. Sdn Bhd
Adev Ventures Sdn Bhd
- Defending BT Malaysia against a claim brought by a service provider, Perintis Kembara, relating to the legality of a commercially negotiated arms-length contract.
- Acting for global leading rubber glove manufacturer Green Prospect in a dispute with contractor as to whether the contract between the parties was a a lump sum or re-measurement agreement.
- Representing PCPP Operating Company, a subsidiary of Petroliam Nasional Berhad, in adjudication proceedings relating to a lease agreement with Malaysia International Shipping Corporation for mobile offshore production units.
Lee & Koh's disputes practice is instructed in corporate, commercial, and banking litigation, insolvency disputes, as well as contentious private client family and probate matters. Corporate litigator Yew Chong Koh, who has particular banking sector expertise, heads up the team alongside Irwan Ismail, who has experience in Islamic finance disputes, and banking and insolvency disputes expert Justin Leong Chee C’jun.
Yew Chong Koh; Justin Leong Chee C’jun; Irwan Ismail
AmBank (M) Berhad
AmIslamic Bank (M) Berhad
CIMB Bank Berhad
New Pantai Expressway Sdn Bhd
Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (Kuala Lumpur Town Council)
Reservior Link Sdn Bhd
Ernst & Young
- Acting for AmIslamic (M) Bank in a claim made by borrower, SM Mahasalam Land Snd Bhd for misrepresentation and also a declaration that the Facility Agreements are null and void.
- Representing the highway concessionaire, Besraya (M) Sdn Bhd, in defence of a purported breach of contract brought by liscencee, Exclusive Deal Sdn Bhd.
- Represented New Pantai Expressway Sdn Bhd in a claim brought against Fabulous Equity Sdn Bhd for the non-payment of the Goods and Services Tax payable under the Licence Agreement.
Dispute resolution boutique Ariff Rozhan & Co counts prominent domestic companies such as Malayan Banking and Maybank Islamic and international corporates among its impressive client roster. Practice head Ariff Rozhan has a breadth of litigation experience across several sectors including insurance, energy and construction. William Lim Wee Chong's experience spans the automotive, energy, insurance and offshore services and regulations, while Christopher Arun Francis is a name to note for banking, health and pharmaceuticals, media, education and IT sector disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Arun; William Lim Wee Chong
Malayan Banking Berhad
Asian Trade Investment Bank LTD
Penang Port Sdn Bhd
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
Maybank Islamic Berhad
Dar Al-Handasah Consultants
Genting Plantations Berhad
CNLT (Far East) Berhad (In Liquidation) v JCT Limited
LCC Dengkil Palm Oil Mill Sdn Bhd
Tokio Marine Insurans (Malaysia) Berhad & Hyundai Marine & Fire Insurance Co., LTD Japan Branch
- Successfully represented Malayan Banking Berhad and Maybank Islamic Berhad in their claim for inter alia, damages, cyber fraud and conspiracy against over 50 defendants in relation to monies wrongfully taken and received.
- Representing Tenaga Nasional Berhad, the largest electric utilities provider in Malaysia, in a multi million Ringgit claim against its Insurers under an Industrial All Risks Insurance Policy for loss and damage of property suffered after an incident at its SJ Woh Hydro Power Station.
- Acting for Genting Plantations Berhad in a dispute against a major producer of cement and aggregates, in relation to the latter’s failure to perform proper rehabilitation works on a quarry land measuring 119.846 acres, which results in various environmental and health issues.
Christopher & Lee Ong's disputes department acts for both individuals and large corporates in a range of litigations, arbitrations, and adjudications. The group's experience includes handling banking, corporate, and insolvency disputes, as well as contentious employment, shipping, and construction matters. Practice head John Mathew focuses on civil and banking litigation, while Li Meng Han has particular experience in employment and construction disputes. Other names of note include Niak Hiong Keong for a range of corporate and commercial disputes. Chee Kwan Ong was appointed as the Judicial Commissioner of the High Court.
‘Two words: very professional.‘
‘Ong Chee Kwan and HK Niak handled my case with care and compassion. They were diligent and professional.‘
‘They are very intelligent and helpful as they are able to assist our corporate to resolve any contentious and non-contentious matters, and also willing to fit in with our corporate needs by attending our urgent issues.‘
‘Han Li Meng is acting professionally at all times, very thoughtful, proficient and knowledgeable with Malaysian laws.‘
‘Everyone in the team were responsible and information sharing in the team was great.‘
‘Their advice was accurate and practical. It was based on real on the ground experience.‘
‘John Mathew is a very experienced lawyer, he’s just like my walking dictionary pertaining to legal matters. He is able to provide his professional opinion on timely basis without any delay.‘
‘John Mathew always make himself available for meeting up even with short notice for urgent matters. He is friendly and approachable.‘
Siemens Malaysia Sdn Bhd and Siemens AG
Itochu Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Malayan Banking Berhad
TH Plantations Berhad
Marubeni-Itochu Steel (M) Sdn Bhd and Marubeni-Itochu Steel Inc.
Everest Point Sdn Bhd and Amanahraya Development Sdn Bhd
TMF Trustees Malaysia Berhad
- Acted for a former employee of a multinational healthcare company in a case that considered the standard of care to be exercised by a management level employee to prevent fraudulent actions perpetrated by a subordinate.
- Represented a prominent advocate and solicitor in Sabah, Malaysia in a dispute arrising from the non-payment of legal services rendered to UNP Plywood Sdn Bhd.
- Successfully represeted MEG Consult in a construction dispute both at adjudication and in court against the owner of Damansara Uptown Development project arising from the client’s terminatation of the contract due to non-payment of its professional services.
Dispute resolution boutique Gan Partnership offers 'a fast, timely, personalised service' across a range of contentious matters. Corporate disputes experts Gan Khong Aik and Foo Joon Liang, who has particular experience in construction and securities transaction disputes, jointly lead the practice. The team benefits from the additions of corporate and commercial litigator Effendy Othman from Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law).
Khong Aik Gan; Joon Liang Foo
Other key lawyers:
DiGi Telecommunications Sdn Bhd
Tanjung Balai Quarry Sdn Bhd
Sungai Long Industries Sdn Bhd
Mah Sing Group Berhad
Hap Seng Land Bhd
OSK Properties Bhd
Masenang Sdn Bhd
Tenaga Nasional Bhd
Sabah Electricity Sdn Bhd
AmInvestment Bank Berhad
AmBank (M) Bhd & Group of Companies
Tan Sri Dato’ Sir Tiong Hiew King
RHB Trustees Berhad
Malaysian International Tuna Port Sdn Bhd
Syarikat Pembenaan Karun Sdn Bhd
Iswarabena Sdn Bhd
Tuck Sin Engineering & Construction Sdn Bhd
Bina Puri Group of Companies
Sunway Group of Companies
Lonpac Insurance Bhd
United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd
Celcom Axiata Berhad
NZ New Image (M) Sdn Bhd
Hong Leong Industries Bhd
Master Mulia Sdn Bhd
TPPT Sdn Bhd
Dato Ng Geok Hwa
The Pacific Insurance Bhd
Chubb Insurance Berhad
MSIG Insurance (Malaysia) Bhd
ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Malaysia Inc.
ExxonMobil Business Support Centre Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- Represented Sunway Quarry Industries in a RM11m action for a breach of a quarry agreement.
- Defended Standard Financial Adviser in a professional negligence claim.
- Represented Y-Teq Auto Parts in a claim against the estate of its former director claiming that the company is the beneficiary of the insurance pay out and that three cars held by the director were held on trust for the company.
Specialist dispute resolution firm Izral Partnership handles a full range of civil, commercial and corporate litigations and arbitrations. The team, which acts for a combination of individuals and companies, is jointly led by Mohd Izral Khairy, Tharminder Singh and Guo Bin Wong, who all have broad experience across the disputes field.
Mohd Izral Khairy; Tharminder Singh; Wong Guo Bin
Eco World Development Group Berhad
The Star Media Group Berhad
First Nationwide Group
TH Heavy Engineering Berhad
TH Properties Sdn Bhd
Kumpulan Hamzah-Kwong Hing Realty
Siemens Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Malaysian Allied Health Sciences Academy Sdn Bhd
- Successfully acted for Genting Development Sdn Bhd (GDSB) – a multi-million dollar property holding company – in an application to remove private caveats lodged by representatives of GDSB’s late minority shareholder on GDSB’s lands.
- Represented HiiChiiKok Equities Sdn Bhd in a dispute concerning a loan agreement and a share pledge agreement with a Hong Kong entity.
- Represented the heirs of the late founder of the Genting Group of Companies in disputes relating to family trusts created in their favour.
MahWengKwai & Associates' dispute resolution practice handles a range of contentious corporate and commercial matters and is particularly strong in the real estate and construction sectors. Real estate and construction disputes expert Raymond Mah heads up the team which includes Richard Wee who has experience across corporate and contractual disputes, as well as contentious equity, trusts, tort and criminal matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have a good knowledge of legal process and empathy with client.‘
China Pacific Property Insurance Co. Ltd.
Institut Sukan Negara
PJ Centrestage Joint Management Body
Paktor Pte Ltd
Paktor MY Sdn Bhd
Amano Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Cicet (Malaysia) Corporation Sdn Bhd
Metropolitan Square Joint Management Body
KCSB Konsortium Sdn Bhd
Green Nature Grandeur Sdn Bhd
Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd
Notre Dame Sdn Bhd
Sime Darby Property Berhad
Pristine Power Sdn Bhd
- Representing Sime Darby Property Berhad in its prolonged dispute with their landscape contractor, Garden Bay Sdn Bhd in respect of the balance contract sum that was payable to Garden Bay for a project in Denai Alam, Shah Alam.
- Successfully defended Notre Dame Nursery Sdn Bhd, Notre Dame Sdn Bhd and the companies’ directors and shareholders against a claim by a former director for his removal as a director of our clients’ companies both at the High Court and the Court of Appeal.
- Represented the National Sports Institute of Malaysia to defend a claim for damages by three athletes which were dissatisfied with their deselection from the PODIUM Programme.
Litigation specialist firm Sreenevasan Young handles commercial, civil and corporate disputes. Gopal Sreenevasan and Phaik Leng Leong are frequently instructed in corporate and shareholder disputes, while Conrad Young and Ravindran Shanmuganathan boast broad contentious corporate and commercial experience. Mark Lau is another names to note, particularly for representation of bank and insurance sector clients.
The dispute resolution practice at Tay & Partners has expertise across a range of contentious matters. Leonard Yeoh heads up the practice, as well as the industrial relations group, and has experience in both litigations and arbitrations, while Soo Chuan Cheah focuses on corporate and commercial disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Cheah Soo Chuan
Air Asia Berhad
Shanghai Pangyuan Construction Machinery Rental Co., Ltd. & PY Rental Sdn Bhd
Tatum (KL) Sdn Bhd
J Nishiki Sdn Bhd
Saint-Gobain Weber (M) Sdn Bhd
OCK Group Berhad
Radius Fuel Cards Sdn Bhd
- Representing real estate development company, Country Garden, in a judicial review hearing for an order of certiorari to quash the award to one of the purchasers by the Housing and Strata Management Tribunal.
- Representing Air Asia Berhad, the leading low-cost carrier in resisting the fine imposed by the Malaysia Competition Commission.
- AdvisedTatum (KL) Sdn Bhd, a luxury interior decorator company, against a company owned by Sarawak governor and former chief minister Abdul Taib Mahmud’s son, Mahmud Abu Bekir Taib in a contractual dispute in relation to unlawful termination of an agreement to supply furniture, fittings and equipment for Mahmud’s bungalow.
Zain & Co
The 'extremely thorough and knowledgeable' dispute resolution team at Zain & Co is instructed across a full range of litigation and alternative dispute proceedings. Anita Sockalingam focuses on civil and commercial disputes with particular expertise in banking matters, while Vatsala Ratnasabapathy specialises in construction litigation and arbitration, Su Ann Kok in contentious land acquisition matters, and Sharmini Durai in labour and employment disputes.
‘Vatsala Ratnasabapathy was extraordinarily thorough, knowledgeable and detailed in her approach. Her ability to understand the legal impact of different decisions/events across multiple jurisdictions allowed us to easily understand and analyze all of the factors that had to be considered.‘
Sime Darby Property Berhad
Sime Darby Plantations Berhad
Universiti Putra Malaysia
Malayan Banking Berhad
National Heart Institute
PMV Merdeka Ventures Sdn Bhd (a subsidiary of Permodalan Nasional Berhad)
Putrajaya Holdings Sdn Bhd
Projek Lintasan Kota Holdings Sdn Bhd and its subsidiaries
Singapore Airlines Ltd
Bandar Nusajaya Development Sdn Bhd (a subsidiary of UEM Sunrise Bhd)
Jambatan Kedua Sdn Bhd
Hitachi Data Systems Sdn Bhd
Malaysian Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Tenaga Nasional Berhad
ON Semiconductor Pte Ltd
Hitachi Consulting Services Malaysia Sdn Bhd
General Wireless Operations Inc (d.b.a RadioShack)
- Successfully defended a leading plantation company in Malaysia in a claim brought by an individual alleging beneficial ownership of land based on events dating back to 1968.
- Acted for a highway concessionaire in respect of a judicial review application filed by a landowner who was objecting to the design of the proposed upgrading of the highway.
- Acted for the former directors and shareholders of a private company in resisting a suit filed by the purchaser of their shares.
Zul Rafique & Partners' disputes team has a breadth of experience in contentious matters, including a range of civil, corporate and commercial, and land and tenancy disputes. It is particularly strong in construction-related matters, with experience in alternative dispute resolution methods. The team is jointly led by construction disputes expert T Kuhendran and P Jayasingam, who specialises in civil and industrial relations.
P Jayasingam; T. Kuhendran
‘I dealt with the dispute resolution’s team led by Ms Idza Hajar and the team is very driven to achieve what is intended by the client and would advise the best approach to tackle any issues regarding the matters at hand.’
‘The edge that the team has as compared to other teams that I have dealt with previously is that they are contactable and always keep you posted on every development regarding the case.’
‘Ms Idza Hajar is commendable and despite her seniority, she will be there to guide her team and she herself will be in touch and in communication with the client.’
East Coast Economic Region Development Council
Iskandar Investment Bhd
Perbadanan PR1MA Malaysia
Radicare (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Labuan Shipyard & Engineering Sdn. Bhd.
PETRONAS Dagangan Berhad
PETRONAS Lubricants Marketing (M) Sdn. Bhd.
Sapura Industrial Berhad
Koperasi Maju Ekonomi Pekerja Berhad
Telekom Malaysia Berhad
Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat
Teoh Sai Khuen
Nationwide Express Holdings Berhad & Ors
- Represented Usahasama SPNB-LTAT in an application to set aside an interim award delivered in an arbitration proceeding.
- Successfully defended Petronas Dagangan against the appeal by Golden Clay Industries Sdn Bhd of a High Court decision which had dismissed Golden Clay’s allegations of fraudulent misrepresentations relating to a supply agreement between the parties.
- Acted for Telekom Malaysia in the appeal of a breach of contract claim brought by KLK Electronic.
Made up of experienced litigators, AmerBON's business and human rights group handles a range of corporate, commercial, family, construction, and real estate disputes, as well as criminal law issues. The group also handles public interest cases on a pro bono basis. Amer Hamzah Arshad and Edmund Bon jointly head the team and focus on criminal and civil proceedings respectively.
Amer Hamzah Arshad; Edmund Bon
‘When handling our request demonstrated they are not only professional but also willing to go beyond and always try to find the best solutions.‘
‘Amerbon is professional in is dealings, patient in clarifying legal issues, and will verify and sieve through issues which are not so relevant to pursue the most practical approach.‘
‘Edmund Bon’s leadership is outstanding, he always responds in a timely manner with sensible judgement when giving advice to us. Very practical but at the same time politically sensitive.‘
‘Edmund Bon has a good presence in court; he promptly reviews issues to follow up with his team members immediately after each court hearing.‘
Wu Sor Hwa, Artisan Persona Sdn Bhd, and Primary Capital Sdn Bhd
Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Air Negara (SPAN)
Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd
Slag Cement (Southern) Sdn Bhd
Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)
- Represented Wu Sor Hwa, Artisan Persona Sdn Bhd, and Primary Capital Sdn Bhd in an action to enforce a buy-out clause against the defaulting party.
- Acted for Suruhanjaya Perkhidmatan Air Negara (SPAN) in a judicial review application brought by Hatimuda Sdn Bhd following SPAN’s refusal to grant Hatimuda a renewal of a water supply and sewerage permit.
- Defended Pahang Cement Sdn Bhd against an occupational safety and health prosecution following a fatality involving a contractor at the cement plant in July 2017.
Cyrus Das Advocates & Solicitors
Cyrus Das Advocates & Solicitors handles a range of disputes, including corporate and commercial matters, and has an impressive reputation, particularly for administrative and constitutional cases. With extensive litigation experience, Cyrus Das has a great reputation in the Malaysian market and is well respected by peers.
Josephine, L K Chow & Co's litigation department is split across two offices and handles a range of corporate, contract, commercial, construction, family, intellectual property and employment disputes for both domestic and international clients. Petaling Jaya-based Cyndi L K Chow handles a range of corporate, IP, family, and real estate litigation, while Yip Huen Weng, who is based in the Kuala Lumpur office, is instructed in a range of litigation, adjudication, and arbitration matters, particularly in construction disputes.
Cyndi Chow Li Kian; Yip Huen Weng
Dayou Textiles Corp. Sdn Bhd
SBT Co. Ltd
Hisense (M) Sdn Bhd
TNL Plastic Manufacturer Sdn Bhd, HSL Auto Engineering Sdn Bhd
Kirana Management Corporation
Mitsui Copper Foil (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.
Woodlandor Roof Systems Sdn Bhd
Dexon Electrical Engineering Sdn Bhd
- Defended Dexon Electrical Engineering in a negligence claim from a plaintiff who suffered serious injuries on a construction project site on which Dexon was a sub-contractor.
- Represented SBT Co. in a civil claim against Medan Quantum Sdn Bhd for failure and refusal to pay SBT upon receipt of the motor vehicles.
- Acted for Dayou Textiles Corp in a dispute relating to its application to extend the private caveat (on an ex-parte basis) on a land under S.326 of the National Land Code 1965 following allegations of fraud and misrepresentation against Dayou.
Dispute resolution boutique Malik Imtiaz Sarwar is well-regarded for corporate, commercial, civil and constitutional litigation, as well as arbitration proceedings. Named partner Malik Imtiaz Sarwar has a strong reputation for handling disputes at all levels and across multiple sectors.
Malik Imtiaz Sarwar
Litigation and arbitration specialists at Mohanadass Partnership handles a range of domestic and international disputes. Managing partner Mohanadass Kanagasabai has experience advising on a range of corporate, contractual and commercial disputes, particularly in the construction, engineering and oil and gas sectors.
Dispute resolution boutique Navaratnam Chambers has a breadth of experience across corporate, commercial and administrative litigation, as well as in arbitration, mediation and adjudication proceedings. With a broad litigation experience, Nahendran Navaratnam heads the practice; Wong Wye Wah has particular expertise across energy, insurance, telecoms, media and IT sector disputes.
Other key lawyers:
The 'approachable, professional and reliable' disputes team at TKP Law represents a client roster of largely Malaysian companies in contentious corporate, commercial, civil, and criminal instructions. Calvin Khoo focuses on corporate and commercial disputes while James Joshua Paulraj handles a range of matters including commercial, corporate, and civil litigation; Palaraman Taneswaran is a name to note for criminal litigation.
Calvin Khoo; James Joshua Paulraj; Palaraman Taneswaran
‘The whole team was very professional and dedicated, easy to approach and always contactable. The responded to queries and requests very quick and without reminders.‘
Dato’ Mohamad Rais bin Zainuddin (LSAB IBS Sdn Bhd)
Dato’ Seri Haji Abdul Rashid bin Abdul Rahim
XiddiG Cellular Communications Sdn Bhd
Foo Tuck Meng
Yang Berhormat Datin Paduka Dr. Tan Yee Kew
Aerohawk Air Sdn Bhd
Ikhtiar Seni Sdn Bhd
Juta Permai Sdn Bhd
APEC Global Resources Sdn Bhd
ACT Hubs Sdn Bhd
Aviation Corporation Development (M) Sdn Bhd
Surimas Lumayan Sdn Bhd (Member of the Exsim Group of Companies)
Pentas Flora Sdn Bhd (Member of the Exsim Group of Companies)
Cosmopolitan Avenue Sdn Bhd (Member of the Mammoth Group of Companies)
Ekowood Malaysia Sdn Bhd
Ekowood International Berhad
SCOMI Group Berhad and all its subsidiaries
QC Scientific (M) Sdn Bhd
M. S. Star Travel Agencies Sdn Bhd
Alstron Mining Sdn Bhd
Malaysian Chinese Tourism Association
- Defending SCOMI Group Berhad and its subsidiaries in a dispute brought by the Employees’ Provident Fund of Malaysia.
- Representing property owners in defense of allegations of meter-tampering and/or electricity theft made by Tenaga Nasional Berhad.
- Acted for 1,065 investors in a claim brought against Genneva Malaysia Sdn Bhd and Bank Negara Malaysia for breach of contract.
- Successfully defended an individual in a murder charge by submitting that self-defence is an absolute defence.
- Represented Inovatif Engineering in the Federal Court in a case seeking clarification on the applicability of a particular statute and the enforcement of an expressly erroneous adjudication decision.
Disputes boutique Tommy Thomas has a breadth of experience across the full range of commercial disputes. Key names to note include Alan Gomez, whose experience spans from financial services and corporate disputes to commercial litigation and arbitration; securities litigator Ganesan Nethi and consultant Sitpah Selvaratnam, who specialises in international trade and maritime law, are also worthy of note.
Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law)
Zaid Ibrahim & Co (a member of ZICO Law)'s dispute resolution team is instructed by a range of Malaysian and foreign clients, both individuals and corporations, across a range of contentious matters. Firoz Hussain Ahmad Jamaluddin, who specialises in corporate and commercial litigation, construction arbitration and public law, heads up the team. Alvin Julian has a breadth of experience in litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Since the publication of our last guide, Effendy Othman and Sabarina Samadi both joined Gan Partnership, though Samadi has since taken an in-house role at Vestigo Petroleum.
Dato Firoz Hyssein Ahmad Jamaluddin
Other key lawyers:
- Representing Federal Land Development Authority (FLDA) in claims relating to individuals’ entitlement to land that had been awarded to FLDA by the Sabah State Government.
- Acted for Apex Equity Holdings in a claim for a validation order for a share buy back scheme undertaken by company contrary to its constitution.
- Instructed by Government of Malaysia as stakeholders for the proceeds of sale for the vessel EQUANIMITY.