C & C Advogados is a full-service law firm, providing advice on litigation, IP, banking, and corporate law matters. The firm’s client base spans sectors including gaming, real estate, hospitality, and energy. Zhao Lu, Nuno Sardinha Da Mata, and Álvaro Rodrigues are the key partners in the team.
Leading firms in Macau
C & C Advogados
DSL Lawyers has a client base including prominent multinationals, and provides advice on corporate transactions, regulatory issues, and fund raisings. The team acts for companies from a range of sectors including banking, gaming, pharmaceuticals, and manufacturing. Carlos Simões leads the firm’s property team and additionally has a broad corporate practice. David Silva Lopes handles banking work, such as project finance, and also advises retailers on commercial contracts. Rita Martins is another key figure in the firm’s banking practice and is also noted for her employment work.
Carlos D Simões; David Silva Lopes; Julia Herold; Rita Martins
- Advised G4S Plc in all matters of Macau law, assisted with the restructuring in Macau, separation of the private security business from the valuables transportation business (cash delivery), with the incorporation and licensing of a new Macau company to pursue the cash delivery business and in the transfer of the business to such new company.
- Acted as Macau counsel for MGM China Holdings Limited, assisting in the relevant DD and vetting all documentation including offering memorandum, notes, purchase agreement, closing memorandum, etc., from a Macau perspective, up to the issuance of the Macau Legal Opinion.
JNV – Lawyers and Notaries
JNV – Lawyers and Notaries acts for clients from sectors including gaming, aviation, media and entertainment, and insurance. Financial services are a particular specialism for the firm; it provides ongoing advice on regulatory, labour, and commercial matters as well as handling refinancings and the issuing of bonds. Real estate and public law, such as public tender proceedings, are also areas in which the firm is highly active. Jorge Neto Valente maintains a high profile in Macau’s legal market through his work as well as his position as President of the Macau Lawyers Association. Pedro Branco has a broad practice encompassing banking and gaming law as well as litigation, and Rui Sousa handles real estate and public procurement matters. André Santos Raquel handles banking and corporate matters, particularly project finance.
Jorge Neto Valente; Pedro Branco; Rui Sousa
- Engaged as external counsel to one of the largest locally incorporated banks and provides continuous legal assistance to all aspects of the Bank’s operations, including regulatory advice, assistance in domestic and multinational commercial transactions and financings, acquisition of assets, services and equipment, labour and immigration, litigation, and corporate matters, on a daily basis.
- Engaged as external counsel to one of the largest Macau gaming operators and provides continuous legal assistance to all aspects of the gaming’s operations, including regulatory advice, assistance in financings, compliance, acquisition of assets, services and equipment, labour and immigration, litigation, and corporate matters, on a daily basis.
- Assisted the lenders with the HKD2.3 Billion refinancing of an integrated resort in Macau (hotel, casino and shopping mall).
Manuela António – Lawyers and Notaries is known for its work in Macau’s banking and finance sector. The firm counts major banks in Macau amongst its clients, advising them on loans and facilities as well as assisting on the drafting of contracts such as novation agreements. The team also acts for gaming companies on capital market transactions, such as note offerings. Aircraft leasing is another area of focus. Founding partner Manuela António and Hugo Ribeiro Couto are the two key partners in the team. It also boasts a strong bench of associates, with Tiago Assunção particularly praised by clients. The practice saw a number of departures in 2020 and 2021, with Hugo Maia Bandeira, Regina Ng, and Bernardete Fan all departing the firm.
Other key lawyers:
‘This practice is unique in its optimal and holistic approach in dispensing sound legal advice as well as providing top-quality analysis of qualitative factors relevant to and affecting each case. Integrity, dedication, trustworthiness and timeliness further enhance the delivery of a premium service at all times.’
‘The various individuals and teams are well led and guided by Dra. Manuela Antonio. Her technical knowledge, professionalism, experience, and strength of character have anchored and elevated the service standard of the firm.’
‘Unlike individual law firms, they have a large organization and have lawyers with various specialities, so they can handle various cases. They have a rich knowledge and experience of public works contracts and relevant law, and also on how the government acts in this area. Therefore, in the area of public works contracts, MA is one of the best law firms. ’
‘We work with Hugo Ribeiro Couto and Senior Associate Tiago Assunção. They support us in contract negotiations with our clients about the new and ongoing construction works as well as the translation and notarization of documents (Chinese to English, English to Portuguese). For the contract negotiations, they always give us valuable advice based on contract, legal knowledge and detailed consideration. We sometimes have to ask them to deal with various issues in parallel over a short period of time, but they always deal with it without any delay, confusion or mistakes. They always give strategies on how to protect us, or how to convince our client or stakeholders, instead of just listing the risk or opinion about the issues, and they always think from our standpoint. For the translation and notarization of the document, they always do it quickly and never miss the target date.’
The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited – Hong Kong
Citibank, N.A., (Hong Kong) Branch
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (Macau) Limited
Melco Resorts Macau Limited
Aruze Gaming Limited
Crown Melbourne Limited
KSHG – Real Estate Investments, LDA
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Golden Crown Development
Transportes Urbanos de Macau
- Acted for Studio City Resorts Finance Limited (and other Group Companies) with respect to Macau Law, on the issuance of USD 500,000,000.00 senior notes due 2025 and in the issuance of USD 500,000,000.00 senior notes due 2028.
- Advised Studio City Resorts Finance Limited (and other Group Companies) with respect to Macau Law, in the issuance of USD 750,000,000.00 senior notes due 2029.
- Acted for Melco Resorts Finance Limited (and other Group Companies) with respect to Macau Law in connection with the issuance of USD 500,000,000.00 senior notes.
MdME Lawyers‘ sizeable team is capable of advising prominent clients on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters, and is also highly active in dispute resolution. Gaming companies form a significant segment of the firm’s client base, and it advises them on matters ranging from insurance to financings. Financial services are another area of focus, including handling note issuings as well as compliance. The practice acts for major multinationals and provides advice on regulatory and compliance issues associated with entering the Macau market. The firm utilises its offices in Macau, Hong Kong and Lisbon to advise on cross-border matters. Managing partner Rui Pinto Proença leads the firm’s M&A and gaming teams, and is noted for his work in regulated sectors. Francisco Leitão specialises in dispute resolution and litigation, and José Leitão has a broad practice encompassing tendering for projects and regulatory issues, especially in the financial sector. Elsewhere, Tirso Olazabal leads the firm’s Hong Kong office and is highly active in financings, while senior associate Carlos Eduardo Coelho handles M&A transactions and listings on the HK stock exchange.
Rui Pinto Proença; João Encarnação; José Leitão; Francisco Leitão; Tirso Olazabal; Tiago Vilhena; Rui Filipe Oliveira; Helena Kok
Rato, Ling, Lei & Cortés - Advogados
Rato, Ling, Lei & Cortés – Advogados stands out in the Macau market for the geographical breadth of its practice. The firm has offices in Macau, Portugal, and in Hengqin through its joint venture, ZLF Law Offices. The team counts Chinese and multinational companies amongst its client base and advises them on legal matters in all three jurisdictions. The team’s work encompasses restructurings, corporate governance, financings, and stock exchange listings. The practice also advises clients on regulatory issues in all three jurisdictions, including advising gaming companies on operating in Macau. Frederico Rato and Pedro Cortes lead the team and are noted for the cross-jurisdictional nature of their practices. Calvin Tinlop Chui was made up to partner in 2021 and is qualified to practice in Macau and in New York State. Senior associate Helena Nazaré Valente is another name to note with a broad practice, including labour, commercial, and family law as well as litigation.
Pedro Cortés; Frederico Rato
Other key lawyers:
Paula Ling; Chang San Chi; Lei Wun Kong; Helena Nazaré Valente; Calvin Chui
‘As a representative law firm in Macau, the core competitiveness of LEKTOU is professionalism in the financial field and a rigorous and responsible work attitude. In the past cooperation, both we and other partners considered Lektou to be an indispensable law firm in Macau’s financial market. For example, we worked together on a major bond listing project in March 2021. As the listing agent, Lektou efficiently helped the issuer complete the preparation of listing documents and provided legal opinions in accordance with the relevant requirements of the Monetary and Foreign Exchange Authority of Macau. This is the first bond listing project completed by a local listing agent in Macau, which pioneered the cooperation between Macau law firms and international issuers, effectively promoted the development of the Macau bond market.’
‘My main contact is Calvin Chui. I believe Mr. Chui is professional in the financial field and takes the initiative to undertake more tasks for the smooth progress of the project, like visiting local governments and state-owned enterprise issuers in mainland China.’
Kirin Brewery Company
KNJ Global Holdings
Magnetic Pocket Limited
Vesync Co., Ltd
The Viet Thai Group
- Advised Kirin Brewery Company in the restructuring of the corporate structure that owns the Macau Beer Company.
- Advised KNJ Holdings Limited on the restructuring of the shareholding structure.
Riquito Advogados advises prominent companies based in Macau and PRC on a broad range of legal issues. The firm practices both in Macau and Portugal, enabling it to act for Macau-based companies in both jurisdictions. It is adept at providing its clients with comprehensive corporate and commercial legal advice, advising on matters ranging from land acquisition to equity restructurings. It also counts major gaming companies amongst its clients and is active in handling the negotiation of government concessions in Macau and Portugal. Founding partner João Nuno Riquito has broad expertise across corporate and commercial law as well as litigation. He is supported by senior associate Bruno Almeida, who is frequently instructed on cross-border matters.
João Nuno Riquito
Other key lawyers:
- Advising a major Macau holding company in the equity restructuring of the Macau flagship air carrier and assisting in the negotiation of a shareholders agreement.
- Advising several clients in negotiating an extension of their rights under public concessions, sub concessions and agreements with public entities, following the business disruption caused by Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising a Macau-based group in the participating in the equity restructuring and refinancing of an innovative pharmaceutical company in Canada.