Allen & Overy Luxembourg advises on funds and corporate-related cross-border real estate work, in addition to handling a sizeable amount of local "bricks and mortar" mandates for developers and end-users. Counsel Serge Hoffman heads the team and has a strong track record in real estate M&A transactions and lease agreements.
Real estate and construction in Luxembourg
Allen & Overy Luxembourg
Fonds d’Urbanisation et d’Aménagement du Plateau de Kirchberg
Union Investment Real Estate
Lux-Immo Airport S.A.
Tristan Capital Partner
- Advised the Fonds d’Urbanisation et d’Aménagement du Plateau de Kirchberg on the development of ArcelorMittal’s new headquarters building in the Kirchberg area of Luxembourg.
- Advised Lux-Immo Airport, a Luxembourg-based company that manages buildings in the European Bank and Business Center (EBBC) near the Luxembourg airport, on the transfer of two buildings located in the EBBC to Leaseinvest Real Estate.
- Assisted the financial services investment arm of a large Hong Kong and China-based group with the acquisition of a company constructing a mixed occupancy building with a total surface area of more than 30,000 square metres.
Benefiting from 'excellent real estate knowledge' as well as a market-leading investment fund offering, the 'very strong' team at Arendt & Medernach has a pre-eminent reputation for acting for asset managers on the structuring of their funds and on the subsequent real estate investments. Christian Point is active across a wide array of real estate mandates from a funds and "bricks and mortar" perspective. Claude Niedner is noted for real estate fund structuring.
‘The team’s innovative and solution-oriented approach is very impressive.‘
‘They have profound knowledge of the market, and good connections with the authorities.‘
Global Logistic Properties
AXA Real Estate Investment Managers
CB Richard Ellis
LCN Capital Partners
- Advising longstanding client Leaseinvest Real Estate on numerous Luxembourg-based transactions, including the acquisition of two additional buildings in the European Bank & Business Center nearby Luxembourg’s airport.
- Acted for LaSalle Investment Management on the acquisition of full ownership by LaSalle of the management functions of Encore+, Aviva’s flagship open-ended Continental European real estate fund as well as of the acquisition by LaSalle of the Real Estate Multi-Manager business of Aviva Investors.
- Advised real estate investment company, Signa, on the formation of a real estate joint venture with the combination of HBC Europe and Karstadt Warenhaus GmbH’s retail operations.
Led by Albert Moro , Clifford Chance's 'reactive and responsive' eight-strong team provides 'business-driven solutions' to clients across the panoply of real estate matters, including on the acquisition and disposal of properties, and the formation of regulated and unregulated real estate funds. 'Outstanding' counsel Sébastien Schmitz 's wide-ranging real estate offering includes expertise in office and commercial lease contracts, property acquisitions, and town planning and environment matters for numerous financial and commercial companies and real estate developers.
‘We appreciate the intellectual competence of the individuals and their capability to listen.‘
‘They manage to provide the right mix of legal framework and workable solution proposals in their well-structured memos.‘
‘Sébastien Schmitz is very responsive and provides business-oriented advice, which is mindful of potential ramifications in the future.‘
'Very knowledgeable of the local market', Dentons has expertise across real estate and construction matters relating to the retail, office and residential sectors. The firm is particularly noted for its representation of international clients, which are appreciative of its ability to guide them through 'local customs', while also providing 'very effective legal advice'. Leasing work remains a strength of the team, and it is able to provide balanced and perceptive advice by virtue of its work on behalf of tenants and landlords. 'Hardworking' team head Martine Gerber-Lemaire is well versed advising on acquisitions and disposals, funding and investment, in addition to the structuring of regulated and unregulated real estate investment vehicles. 'Knowledgeable and reactive' senior counsel Christel Dumont is also recommended.
‘The team is very reactive to matters arising and to moving projects forwards.‘
‘Martine Gerber-Lemaire has strong leadership qualities and works hard to achieve positive outcomes for her clients.‘
‘Christel Dumont is extremely good at presenting information to an international investor which is unfamiliar with the local market.‘
Korea Investment Management
European Stability Mechanism
- Advised La Française on the acquisition of a 31,000 square metre office property on behalf of South Korean investors.
- Assisting Fidentia Luxembourg with the sale of a plot of land in Leudelange, a city in the suburbs of Luxembourg.
- Advised Blackstone on the sale of Le Dôme, the 21,457 square metre building, to Axa Investment Managers Real Assets.
'One of the best in the market for real estate transactions because of its sound legal knowledge, extensive experience and practical approach', Elvinger Hoss Prussen advises funds, developers and construction companies across the gamut of office, retail and residential real estate matters. 'Practical and commercial' counsel Stéphanie Pautot is an integral member of the team as a result of her 'precise analysis and hands-on approach' on acquisition and disposals, local development projects, financings, lease negotiations and due diligence. Léon Gloden heads the team.
‘The team ensures the defense of the client’s interests.‘
‘The quality of the advice is excellent.‘
‘The very impressive Stéphanie Pautot provides intelligent and precise advice.‘
AGORA S.à r.l. et Cie s.e.c.s.
Codic Luxembourg S.A.
R Property Holdings S.à r.l.
- Advising Agora, the developer of one of the most important real estate projects in the region, on the development of land previously occupied by the steel industry in the South of Luxembourg (Site Belval).
- Assisting Codic Luxembourg with the urban development of the “Area of Aldringen” which is located in the heart of the city of Luxembourg.
- Advised on the tax and legal aspects of the acquisition by a Luxembourg company of French assets in real estate.
Jointly headed by the 'client-focused' François Collot and 'extremely practical' Yasmine Poos, KLEYR GRASSO's three-partner team has 'excellent knowledge of the Luxembourg real estate rules'. Work includes advice to funds on their real estate investments, as well as for developers and corporates on major commercial real estate projects. The team also handles real estate and construction litigation and is noted for its 'great know-how of market practice and case law in Luxembourg'.
‘The team is extremely efficient, precise and to-the-point.‘
‘The firm is able to quickly provide you with a practical analysis and is also able to follow up with litigation in the Luxembourg courts when necessary.‘
‘François Collot is reliable and competent and provides very appropriate advice on litigation and contractual matters.‘
‘Yasmine Poos has a lot of expertise in the Luxembourg real estate and commercial property market.‘
‘Yasmine Poos and Mélanie Trienbach are very technical and have an excellent knowledge of the real estate Luxembourg rules. They are able to assist their clients in negotiation with the authorities.‘
‘Henry de Ron provides very good support.‘
Thomas & Piron
Ministère du Développement Durable et des Infrastructures
LES JARDINS DE LUXEMBOURG
- Advised Lux-Airpoty, the operator and facility manager of the Luxembourg airport, on leasehold issues with private aeronautic sports associations in the context of the termination of the initial lease agreement and the negotiation procedure to conclude a new lease agreement.
- Assisting real estate development company and construction group, Thomas & Piron, with public law, construction law, real estate law, sale and purchase agreements as well as contractual law issues.
- Advising real estate development company and construction group, Jardins De Luxembourg, on public law, construction law, real estate law, sale and purchase agreements as well as contractual law issues.
Leveraging the firm's strengths across M&A, finance, funds and tax, Linklaters' multi-disciplinary team provides 'practical and insightful advice' to a broad range of institutional investors, banks, developers, funds and end-users across the gamut of commercial real estate matters. Clients are particularly appreciative of the firm's ability to provide a 'uniquely global perspective' and to advise on cross-border downstream real estate investments as a result of its vast international network. Patrick Geortay takes the lead on the overall co-ordination of the real estate team. Counsel Anton Cox is the firm's key contact in relation to downstream real estate investment work.
‘For our company, which invests in multiple jurisdictions, it is important to be able to go to one firm that can provide industry-leading advice in whichever country and industry we are focused on.‘
‘The team provides exceptional research, pertinent industry updates and other resources that we’ve been able to leverage as a powerful value add.‘
Besix RED Luxembourg
GLL Real Estate GmbH
Lux TP (part of the Besix Group)
Hannover Leasing GmbH & Co. KG
ProLogis International Funding II S.A. and Prologis European Logistics Fund, FCP-FIS
King Street Capital Management
Shurgard Self Storage SA
Round Hill Capital
CBRE Global Investors
- Advising GLL Real Estate Partners on the acquisition of all shares in Rosenstiel, owning a retail, office and residential complex located in the city centre of Luxembourg.
- Advising Fidelity International on the acquisition of all the shares in Beaubourg, owning Luxembourg’s headquarters (in the process of being built) of Proximus and Tango, the Belgian and Luxembourg telephone operators.
- Acting for Round Hill Capital on the formation of a Luxembourg joint venture with KKR, in order to invest in European student accommodation.
Baker McKenzie provides 'practical and business-minded advice' across a range of commercial property matters, both from a domestic and cross-border perspective. Jointly headed by Jean-François Findling and Jean-François Trapp, the team advises funds, developers, family offices and end-users on corporate-related real estate matters.
‘Practical and business-minded advice.‘
- Advised a Singapore-based real estate group on a proposed acquisition.
- Assisted a real estate investment fund with a partnership restructuring.
- Advised a major German real estate investment firm on the negotiation and redaction of a complex office lease agreement.
Jointly headed by Mario Di Stefano and Renaud Le Squeren, DSM Avocats A La Cour advises a diverse array of stakeholders, including funds, banks, developers and contractors, on corporate real estate, zoning and planning, and real estate acquisition projects.
Led by Véronique Hoffeld, Loyens & Loeff's real estate team provides overarching expertise across the spectrum of real estate matters, including as it relates to investment, management, development, taxation and regulatory matters. With experts based in Netherlands and Belgium, the team also excels in providing holistic Benelux-related real estate advice.
Brookfield Asset Management Inc
European Investment Bank
- Advising European Investment Bank, as main panel member for all real estate legal advice, including on the negotiation of contracts, related to the construction of its new building in Luxembourg.
- Acting for Formart in various construction disputes both in settlement negotiations and judicial proceedings.
- Advising AXA Real Estate Investment Manager on its acquisition of LeDôme, a large office complex in the heart of Luxembourg City, from US private equity firm Blackstone.
'Very well connected both domestically and internationally', MOLITOR Avocats à la Cour SARL provides 'proactive and tailor-made advice' to investors, developers, owners and public authorities on all facets of real estate matters. Leveraging the firm's strong commercial litigation pedigree, the firm is also regularly engaged in contentious real estate and construction matters. Stéphanie Juan and Paulo Lopes Da Silva are the practice co-heads.
‘All the people that work on a case are well informed about the content. This is due not only to excellent internal organisation but also a good working climate within the team.‘
‘Stéphanie Juan: has a lot of knowledge and can apply this to tricky subjects. She is brilliant in researching the doctrine and the jurisprudence.‘
‘Counsel Sophie Lamothe is very pugnacious and smart in solving complicated problems.‘
Thewes & Reuter
Thewes & Reuter has a 'high level of real estate experience and knowledge of Luxembourgish court procedures' and is consequently particularly strong at handling disputes arising in the sector, as well as on any public law-related matters, including planning and building permits. Marc Thewes is the main contact.
KUWAIT PETROLEUM LUXEMBOURG
CFL (LuxembourgNational Railway)
- Advising real estate developer Baltisse on various legal issues relating to its real estate portfolio, including on a renovation project of a 35-year old building in the central business district of Luxembourg (Boulevard Royal).
- Acting for Post Luxembourg on issues relating to its move into new headquarters, work which included the process of terminating all leases of existing tenants in the building in accordance with the law.
- Representing A&P Kieffer Omnitech in a dispute over the construction of a golf club.
Leveraging the firm's banking and funds offering, Wildgen has a particular strength handling funds-related real estate mandates and real estate finance matters. Romain Viard provides 'high-quality and efficient advice on real estate matters'.
Other key lawyers:
Romain Viard provides high quality and efficient advice on real estate matters.