Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie has a strong international contentious and non-contentious IP practice with a broad range of industry expertise that includes consumer goods, TMT, financial services, healthcare and energy. Practice head Daru Lukiantono advises across the full spectrum of IP law, from brand management and enforcement, to data privacy and brand litigation. Associate partner Wiku Anindito is also noted and advises clients in the pharmaceuticals, consumer and luxury goods and hospitality industries.
Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP has dedicated its highly valuable service to the protection of intellectual property rights in Indonesia through Winarta Intellectual Property Practice (WIP). The professionalism and good capabilities of the firm in handling various cases of intellectual property have made WIP as one of the leading firms in Indonesia. We believe that all staffs, lawyers and …View Profile...
Intellectual property in Indonesia
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Other key lawyers:
Amazon Technologies Inc.
Dart Industries Inc.
Monster Energy Company
Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha
Palmerston Ltd / Hutchinson Group
WD-40 Manufacturing Company
British American Tobacco
- Advising Unilever, N.V. on managing its trademark portfolio.
- Managing the trademark portfolio of the group of CK Hutchison Holdings Limited (“Hutchison”) in Indonesia.
- Advising Amazon Technologies, Inc. on managing its trademark portfolio in Indonesia.
Januar Jahja & Partners
Januar Jahja & Partners has a well-established presence in the intellectual property litigation space, as seen with its successful representation of DC Comics in the highly publicised trademark cancellation action case. Managing partner Prudence Jahja specialises in trademark prosecution and litigation. Jahja is 'clearly an expert in her field' and has 'excellent communication skills'. Foreign legal consultant Andrew Diamond is also noted and has been driving growth and expanding the firm's patent offering.
Other key lawyers:
‘Ms. Prudence Jahja is clearly an expert in her field. Excellent communication skills as well as thoughtful advice and a service-minded approach make her an outstanding choice for our intellectual property needs in Indonesia. After working with another firm in Indonesia for decades, we are quite frankly relieved to have complete confidence in entrusting our work to Ms. Jahja.’
‘We’ve worked most closely with Prudence Jahja and Andrew Diamond. We find them to be excellent professionals and are lawyers who really understand both the client’s needs and the local IP situation in Indonesia.’
‘Great service, proactive & professional.’
Tencent Holdings Limited
Japan Tobacco Inc.
Societe des Produits Nestle S.A. (“Nestle”)
WeWork Companies, LLC
Sunkist Growers, Inc.
Giant Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- Represented DC Comics in a trademark cancellation action against an Indonesian food producer.
- Successfully defended PT. Bogamulia Nagadi (Tempo Group) in a trademark cancellation action on appeal to the Indonesian Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented Giant Manufacturing Co., Ltd. in a trademark cancellation action and subsequent settlement proceedings.
SKC Law is a full service intellectual property law firm that advises on prosecution, commercialisation, enforcement and litigation of intellectual property. Purnomo Suryomurcito heads the intellectual property protection and enforcement offering. Nidya Kalangie is in charge of the intellectual property prosecution team and Andrew Conduit assists the firm's foreign client base with intellectual property dispute resolution and general advisory.
Purnomo Suryomurcito; Nidya Kalangie; Andrew Conduit
‘Based on our experience, SKC team is very responsive and proactive.’
‘Open to feedback, timely, communicative.’
adidas International Marketing B.V.
Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa, PT. (Gojek)
Casio Computer Co., Ltd.
Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
Gajah Tunggal Tbk., PT.
GS Yuasa International, Ltd.
Hensley Industries Inc.
Honda Motor Co. Ltd.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals (HK) Ltd.
Petrosea Tbk., PT.
Robinson LLC (instructing for Apple, Beats, HP)
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Trias Holding AG
Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd
Zippo Manufacturing Company
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse advises across the full spectrum of intellectual property law, from trademark and patent prosecution, to anti-counterfeiting and enforcement. Nick Redfearn acts as the global enforcement head and deputy CEO and the dispute resolution team is led by Tania Lovita. Kin Wah Chow has a strong contentious and non-contentious practice, with an emphasis on patent infringement. Lisa Yong also has a broad practice with impressive cross-border experience. Arifia Fajra heads the patent agency group and handles a wide variety of patent prosecution and validation cases. Yurio Astary is also noted and heads the trademark group; Astary's client portfolio covers a range of sectors including financial services, tobacco, luxury goods and pharmaceuticals.
Lisa Yong; Kin Wah Chow; Tania Lovita; Arifia Fajra; Yurio Astary; Nick Redfearn
PT Global Tiket Network (tiket.com)
PT Social Bella Indonesia (Sociolla.com)
Starbucks Coffee Company
GS Yuasa International Ltd.
H-D U.S.A, LLC, or Harley-Davidson
PT Cocomas Indonesia
Halliburton Energy Service, Inc.
- Successfully represented GY Yuasa Corporation in cancelling a third party’s trademark registration for GSJ mark in Class 9 based on well-known mark and bad faith.
- Successfully acted for Bank of America in cancelling the domain name BOFA.ID registered by third party. The domain name is part of an ongoing fraud that has been perpetrated against Bank of America employees and customers.
- Representing Apotex Inc in an appeal against the lower court decision on the infringement action against Novell Pharmaceutical.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has an experienced contentious and non-contentious practice with a strong presence in the technology, media and communications sector. The firm has a strong media client base which includes TikTok Pte. Ltd. Co-founding partner Chandra Hamzah is well-regarded in the intellectual property space and co-heads the practice alongside Dewi Soeharto, who is another recognised intellectual property specialist. Dewi advises on all aspects of intellectual property law, from copyrights and trademarks, to patents and trade secrets.
Chandra Hamzah; Dewi Soeharto
TikTok Pte. Ltd.
Morinaga Milk Industry Co. Ltd.
PT Unilever Indonesia Tbk
PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk (Alfamart)
PT Midi Utama Indonesia Tbk (Alfamidi)
PT Petrokimia Gresik
PT Sekolah Cikal
PT Sekolah Integrasi Digital
PT Amaan Indonesia Sejahtera
PT Prima Andalan Mandiri
Beekman 1802, Inc.
L.A. Gear Inc.
Okra International Co. Ltd.
Acava Limited (Part of AJEGROUP)
PT Nusantara Segar Global
PT Digital Kresindo Ekapratama
Les’ Copaque Production Sdn. Bhd.
Suez Top Ventures Sdn. Bhd.
Columbia Asia Healthcare Sdn. Bhd.
- Advised PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk and PT Midi Utama Indonesia Tbk on their copyright infringement case.
- Advised PT Petrokimia Gresik on trademark infringement involving a range of fertilizer products.
K&K Advocates is an intellectual property boutique law firm that advises domestic and international companies, as well as state owned enterprises. Key sectors of expertise for the practice include healthcare, energy, luxury and consumer goods. Managing partner Justisiari Perdana Kusumah heads the litigation, enforcement and arbitration practice and has experience drafting intellectual property legislation. The intellectual property prosecution practice is led by Risti Wulansari, a 'truly valuable asset', with a broad prosecution and advisory practice.
Justisiari Perdana Kusumah; Risti Wulansari
‘Specialized in trademarks, with strong and skilled partners and good connection with the relevant authorities. ’
‘Risti Wulansari is very cooperative and gives great advise, including alternative doable solutions. I thoroughly enjoyed my time working with her, and came to know her as a truly valuable asset to the team.’
Gojek (PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa)
PT Porto Indonesia Sejahtera
British American Tobacco Indonesia
PT Mobile Premier League
PT. Achilles Advanced Systems
Soho Global Health
PT Pharma Health Care
The Sunrider Corporation DBA Sunrider International
PT Telkom Indonesia (Persero) Tbk (Telkom)
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Procter & Gamble Home Products Indonesia
The Gillete Company LLC
BTN Persero TBK
Shell Brands International AG
PT Paragon Technology and Innovation
Shanghai Savvy Intellectual Property Agency
Oakley Inc and Luxottica S.P.A.
PT Citra Mahasurya Industries
Bird & Bird ATMD
Kim & Chang
Herbert Smith Freehills
PT Global Media Visual (MOLA TV)
Vidio Dot Com
Azman Davidson & Co.
PT Unilever Indonesia
- Assisting PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa (GOJEK) in handling their IP Portfolio that includes trademark, patent, design, and copyright.
- Assisted Hugo Boss with filing a cancellation claim at the Indonesian Commercial Court against third party’s trademark that consisting “HUGO” name submitted on the basis of bad faith.
- Advising ByteDance on copyright matters, in relation to their upcoming feature in their TikTok application prior to launch in Indonesia.
Roosdiono & Partners
Roosdiono & Partners handles a large amount of intellectual property-related commercial litigation and arbitration mandates, as well as an increasing amount of patent prosecution work. Endra Prabawa is an intellectual property specialist with extensive experience advising on the protection of patents, trademarks, copyrights and industrial designs. Ajeng Yesie Triewanty was promoted to partner in 2020 and was involved in the Indonesian National Arbitration Center’s (BANI) high profile trademark case.
Endra Prabawa; Ajeng Yesie Triewanty
‘A proactive team that understands the needs of clients, and appreciates that clients need proactive and business friendly or commercial solutions to their legal problems.’
‘Endra is the head of department and is very responsive. Ajeng is the up and coming partner. Both are savvy litigators and have helped client navigate through the often complex legal process in Indonesia.’
GuangDong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp., LTD
Zyro Inc, UAB
Reckitt Benckiser Corporate Services Ltd
Blackshark Technologies (Nanchang) Co. Ltd.
PT Ritel Bersama Nasional (JD.ID)
PT Jingdong Indonesia Pertama (JD.ID)
Sampingan PTE. LTD. and PT Sampingan Mitra Indonesia
PT Tower Bersama Infrastructure Tbk
PT Darya-Varia Laboratoria Tbk
BANI Arbitration Center
- Advising BANI Arbitration Center in a trademark cancellation lawsuit, as well as managing their trademark portfolio.
- Assisting GuangDong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp., LTD with more than 60 patent applications.
- Acting as proxy for more than 20 patent filing applications by ZTE Corporation.
Tilleke & Gibbins handles a broad range of trademark searches, registration and prosecution of marks for clients, particularly in the automotive, technology and life sciences sectors. Wongrat Ratanaprayul heads the practice and has a broad intellectual property practice. Bangkok-based Somboon Earterasarun heads the Jakarta office and has substantial experience advising on intellectual property protection and managing trademark portfolios.
Wongrat Ratanaprayul; Somboon Earterasarun
- Successfully advised Orignal Buff S.A., a well-known apparel manufacturer with a trademark cancellation action against an Indonesian trademark holder with a confusingly similar mark.
- Advising Xiaomi with trademark prosecutions in Indonesia.
- Advised Audi AG on opposing an application which was submitted in bad faith by a local party in Indonesia.
Iman Sjahputra & Partners
Iman Sjahputra & Partners is a boutique law firm that specialises in intellectual property. The practice has an international client base with many of its clients coming from the US and Japan. Managing partner Iman Sjahputra heads the practice and is a member of the Indonesian Advocate Association (PERADI) and a licensed Indonesian IP consultant. Key changes in the team include the promotion of Willy Isananda to junior partner.
Iman Sjahputra; Wawan Santoso
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive and strategic thinking- transparency of costs and procedures.’
‘Yeny Risnawati is reponsive and clear/concise answers- much appreciated.’
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc.
Seiko Epson Corp.
NTT Docomo Inc.
Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd.
Diageo Brands BV
Hino Motors Ltd.
Sogo & Seibu Co. Ltd.
John Hardy Ltd.
Gildan Activewear Inc.
The Commonwealth of Australia
Nippon Sheet Glass Company Ltd.
Asahi Kasei Corp.
NGK Spark Plug Co Ltd
Jarrow Formulas Inc.
Nissin Food Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Advising Sungai Budi Group on its trademark infringement (counterfeiting) case.
- Advising Cinco Corporation on its trademark portfolio in Indonesia.
- Assisting Nippon Sheet Glass Company Ltd. in overcoming a rejection of its trademark applied to Indonesia using the Madrid Protocol.
Inter Patent Office
Inter Patent Office has a broad contentious and non-contentious practice in Indonesia. Managing clients’ trademarks and industrial designs portfolios is a key area of work. Managing partner Hendra Widjaya heads the practice and has particular experience assisting clients in trademark and patent prosecutions. Anny Gunadi is also noted and advises clients on trademark portfolio management and international trademark registrations.
Other key lawyers:
‘Inter Patent Office is a well managed firm which works systematically. They do not just do the job as instructed, but also give some suggestions for the client.’
‘The good thing about working with Inter Patent Office is they also value our time to always finish the works as estimated and incredibly fast response to our instructions and questions.’
PT Dexa Medica
PT Ferron Par Pharmaceuticals
PT Fonko International Pharmaceuticals
PT Beta Pharmacon CT Corpora group
PT Bank Mega Tbk
PT Trans Corpora
PT Trans Studio
PT Trans Property
PT Trans Retail Indonesia
PT Para Bandung Propertindo
Orang Tua Group
PT Terang Dunia Internusa
PT Akulaku Silvrr Indonesia
PT Akulaku Finance Indonesia
PT Pintar Belanja Indonesia
PT Inovasi Kredit Indonesia
PT Kalikali Media Indonesia
PT Bank Net Indonesia Syariah Tbk
Ther-A-Pedic Associates, Inc.
PT Berkat Animasi Internasional Indonesia Shueisha Inc.
Harvest Corporation Japan
BEABA (Société par Actions Simplifiée)
- Advising PT Terang Dunia Internusa on international trademark registration matters in Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, China, United Kingdom and Norway.
- Representing Dexa Medica group in its trademarks management portfolio works in Indonesia, and in South East Asian countries, Middle Eastern countries, African countries, European countries, Canada and United States.
- Assisting Akulaku group with managing its trademarks management portfolio works in Indonesia.
Makarim & Taira S. advises on a broad range of trademark registration and licensing matters and showcases in-depth knowledge of Indonesia's intellectual property regulations. The practice has particularly expertise in the hospitality sector. Managing partner Lia Alizia heads the practice. Senior associate Norma Mutalib is also noted and displays expertise in handling intellectual property matters relating to hotel franchising and management.
Other key lawyers:
Hilton Worldwide Manage Limited
Louvre Hotels Group
Millennium & Copthorne International Limited
Federal-Mogul Bremsbelag GmbH
HKG Epitherapeutics Limited
- Advised Hilton Worldwide Manage Limited on registering trademarks at the Indonesian Trademark Office.
- Advised Louvre Hotels Group on filing and securing their trademark registrations in Indonesia to support their hotel activities in Indonesia.
- Assisted Federal-Mogul Bremsbelag GmbH with maintaining trademark applications and registrations in Indonesia.
Soemadipradja & Taher advises clients on the full life cycle of intellectual property assets. The team showcases strong regulatory and compliance expertise and works closely with government entities, particularly the Directorate General of Intellectual Property Rights. Key sectors of expertise include the automotive, oil and gas, technology, and luxury goods sectors. Practice head Romi Emirat is a licensed advocate and intellectual property consultant.
‘Rommy Emirat played an outstanding role in assisting with every AHM IPR law matter. Rommy lead the S&T team and was able to provide a tailored and successful IPR litigation strategy based on what we could see was an in-depth understanding of both the relevant law and the practical/procedural aspects.’
Rahmat Lim & Partners
Bris & Partners
Seino Holdings Co. Ltd.
- Advised Intertek Plc. on the Indonesian intellectual property law aspects of a proposed acquisition.
- Advised BRIS & Partners on the protection of its client’s trademark.
- Advised K.R.S. Corporation on the intellectual property aspects of its acquisition of four subsidiaries of the Kiat Ananda Group.
Dedy Kurniadi & Co Lawyers Office has a broad intellectual property offering that covers copyrights, trademarks and patent registrations. The practice has a strong focus on the media and entertainment sectors. Managing partner Dedi Kurniadi is a key point of contact.
Rajamada & Partners‘ intellectual property practice is led by registered IP consultant and founding partner Mada Silalahi, who has expertise in patent and trademark registrations. Silalahi is also a member of the Associations of Indonesian Advocates.