Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP has dedicated its highly valuable service to the protection of intellectual property rights in Indonesia through Winarta Intellectual Property Practice (WIP). The professionalism and good capabilities of the firm in handling various cases of intellectual property have made WIP as one of the leading firms in Indonesia. We believe that all staffs, lawyers and …View Profile...
Intellectual property in Indonesia
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is highly experienced in both contentious and non-contentious matters, with a strong background in sectors such as consumer, TMT, healthcare, manufacturing, financial services and energy. Daru Lukiantono leads the team and covers the full spectrum of intellectual property work. Also recommended are associate partners Primastuti Purnamasari, who is an expert in patent and trade mark prosecution, and Wiku Anindito, who is very strong in trade mark licensing.
Other key lawyers:
Dart Industries Inc.
Akzo Nobel Chemicals International B.V
Nissan Motor Co Ltd
Strider Sports Int’l
Inter IKEA Holding Services S.A.
CK Hutchison Holdings Limited
Januar Jahja & Partners
Januar Jahja & Partners is the IP practice of choice for a number of household names. Prudence Jahja leads the team and has extensive experience in trade mark prosecution and litigation. Other key names of note include: Andrew Diamond, who is an expert in litigation and enforcement; Walter Simandjuntak, who is very strong in patent, copyright and industrial design-related issues; and associate Nena Esse Nurasifa, who works on trade mark prosecutions and oppositions.
Société des Produits Nestlé
Japan Tobacco International
Tencent Holdings Limited
Sunkist Growers, Inc.
Wahl Clipper Corporation
SKC Law represents multinational companies in relation to issues such as enforcement, prosecution, litigation and general advisory work. Purnomo Suryomurcito is one of three practice heads and specialises in enforcement matters. Also leading the team is Nidya Kalangie, who is an expert in prosecution and litigation, and Andrew Conduit, who is highly experienced in dispute resolution and advisory issues.
Purnomo Suryomurcito; Nidya Kalangie; Andrew Conduit
‘The team is great in handling investigations and raid actions, fulfilling all the way to the close of the case; honest and trustworthy, strong connection with local authorities.’
‘SKC have a clear cost structure so that every step can be considered. ‘
Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa,
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
Gajah Tunggal Tbk., PT.
GS Yuasa International, Ltd.
Hensley Industries Inc.
Hogan Lovells Japan
Honda Motor Co. Ltd.
MCM Holding AG
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
Shanghai Moonton Technology Co., Ltd.
- Asssisted Tokopedia with IP prosecutions.
- Advising Gojek on its patent prosecution strategy.
- Advising Gajah Tunggal on global trade mark prosecutions
- Advised Adidas on its enforcement campaign.
- Advised Nike on its enforcement campaign.
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse handles both hard and soft IP in areas such as prosecution, anti-counterfeiting, enforcement and general advisory issues. Practice head Nicholas Redfearn is best known for his work in trade mark litigation and enforcement, with additional expertise in patent and design filing. Other key members of the team are Lisa Yong, who advises on portfolio management and IP strategies, and Kin Wah Chow, who is strong in the retail, media and industrial equipment sectors. Consultant Gunawan Suryomurcito is also highly recommended.
‘Great knowledge of local law.’
‘Nicholas Redfearn and Kin Wah Chow are always ready to assist clients.’
H-D U.S.A, LLC or Harley-Davidson
Starbucks Coffee Company
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Coca-Cola Company
Glaxo Group Limited
Adidas International Marketing BV
Richemont International S.A.
ABB Schweiz AG N
Levi Strauss and Co
The Walt Disney Company
PT Tauzia International Management
JFE Steel Corporation
- Advised Jack Daniel’s on its trade mark portfolio and IP protection strategy in Indonesia.
- Advised Walt Disney on its brand protection programme in Indonesia.
- Acted for BMW in a dispute concerning the domain name ‘bmw.id’.
- Managed the trade mark portfolio for Tauzia International Management.
- Assisted Hartono Istana Teknologi with drafting patent filings under the Patent Cooperation Treaty.
Iman Sjahputra & Partners runs the gamut of IP services and primarily acts for clients headquartered in the US and Japan. Managing partner Iman Sjahputra leads the team and is very active in trade mark registrations and appeals. Wawan Santoso is strong in contentious issues involving both trade mark and patent law. Senior associates Parjio and Willy Isananda are also highly recommended.
Iman Sjahputra; Wawan Santoso
‘The firm is responsive and provides a reliable service.’
‘Angga Karona provides understandable advice on trade mark applications at a high professional level.’
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc.
Seiko Epson Corp.
NTT Docomo Inc.
Hino Motors Ltd.
Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd.
Sogo & Seibu Co. Ltd.
John Hardy Ltd.
Gildan Activewear Inc.
The Commonwealth of Australia
Diageo Brands BV 1
Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd.
- Representing AW Licensing LLC in a successful trade mark appeal case.
- Advising on and successfully avoiding ABC Co’s trade mark rejection.
- Representing Meranti Corp in one of the first-ever trade mark applications using the Madrid Protocol in various countries worldwide. (AM CHECK – client name?)
- Representing Gildan in trade mark proceedings in Indonesia.
- Providing a legal opinion to a client and handling its trade mark and industrial design prosecution and maintenance in Indonesia.
Inter Patent Office
Inter Patent Office advises across all aspects of IP and is most active in managing trade mark portfolios in the pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, financial services, food and beverage, and manufacturing sectors. Managing partner Hendra Widjaya leads the team and focuses on contentious and non-contentious trade mark matters. Also recommended is Anny Gunadi, who has expertise in trade mark agreements and licensing as well as patent registrations.
Other key lawyers:
Dexa Medica Group
Orang Tua Group
Terang Dunia Internusa
Ther-A-Pedic Associates, Inc.
Trio Group Australia Pty Ltd
Sappi North America, Inc.
Kopitiam Asia Pacific Sdn. Bhd.
Harvest Corporation Japan
Sweetkiss Food Industry Sdn. Bhd.
Akulaku Silvrr Indonesia;
Pintar Belanja Indonesia;
Kalikali Media Indonesia.
LOUP NOIR GmbH
Min Gook Indonesia
Handsome Corporation Korea
- Representing Trio Group Australia Pty Ltd regarding a rebuttal submitted to the Trademark Office on an opposition raised by another party.
- Representing Sweetkiss Food Industry in submitting a response to the Trademark Office regarding the preliminary rejection received for its trade mark application for “SWEETKISS”.
- Representing Guangdong Overland Ceramics in submitting a response to the Trademark Office regarding the preliminary rejection received for its trade mark application for “OVERLAND” .
- Advising Dexa Medica Group on the management of its trade mark portfolio in Indonesia, South East Asia, Africa, Europe, Canada and the US.
- Representing Orang Tua Group, one of the largest consumer goods companies in Indonesia, on the management of its trade mark portfolio in Indonesia and other relevant countries.
Roosdiono & Partners
Roosdiono & Partners covers all aspects of IP and is particularly active in handling trade mark disputes. Endra Prabawa leads the team and advises on patent, trade mark, copyright and industrial design issues.
BANI Arbitration Center
Isagenix Worldwide LLC
Tower Bersama Infrastructure
RITEL BERSAMA NASIONAL
- Representing BANI Arbitration Centre on the cancellation of trade marks owned by BANI Arbitration, which was submitted by a new arbitration institution using the same name as the client.
- Advising Rolex on enforcing its trade marks and logo in Indonesia, particularly against three infringing trade mark applications submitted to the Indonesian Trademark Office
- Advising Isagenix Worldwide, a privately held multi-level marketing company that sells dietary supplements and personal care products, on enforcing its trade mark.
- Acting for Tower Bersama Infrastructure on the full spectrum of the client’s intellectual property protection, including trade marks and industrial designs, as well as the recordal of copyright.
- Assisting Hot Star, a company selling Taiwanese fried chicken, with two infringement cases brought by an Indonesian individual who holds the same “HOT STAR” mark.
Tilleke & Gibbins
IP specialist firm Tilleke & Gibbins is highly experienced in trade mark, patent and copyright law. Somboon Earterasarun co-heads the practice and splits his time between the Bangkok and Jakarta offices. He focuses primarily on trade mark registrations, licensing and agreements. Director Wongrat Ratanaprayul also leads the team and specialises in patent and design prosecution.
Somboon Earterasarun; Wongrat Ratanaprayul
Amazon Technologies Inc.
Monster Energy Company
- Appointed to manage John Hardy’s full global IP portfolio.
- Represented Ping An Technology on complex patent applications in Indonesia.
- Successfully opposed two trade marks for Giorgio Armani.
- Successfully opposed a trade mark in Indonesia for GrabTaxi Holdings
- Represented the theatre company behind Hamilton in a copyright infringement matter.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners has bolstered its IP practice through its merger with IP boutique Dewi Soeharto Law Partnership. Name partner Dewi Kamaratih Soeharto joined the team following the merger and jointly leads the practice. She represents a number of international companies on all of their IP issues in the region, and is particularly strong in copyright law. Also leading the team is Chandra M. Hamzah, who is notably skilled in IP litigation.
Dewi Kamaratih Soeharto; Chandra M. Hamzah
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
Narasi Citra Sahwahita
Morinaga Milk Industry
Hario Co., Ltd.
- Advised FIFA on its intellectual property rights in a matter involving Nestlé Indonesia unofficially promoting its products for the FIFA World Cup in 2018.
- Advised Indosat on its trade mark application.
- Advised BeSweet on its intellectual property rights and trade mark in Indonesia.
- Advised on copyright matters relating to music video production for Indonesian band Narasi.
- Advised Morinaga on trade mark and copyright matters.
K&K Advocates is skilled in litigation, licensing and prosecutions in relation to patent, trade mark, copyright and industrial design law. Founding partner Justisiari Kusumah leads the team and is experienced in litigation and advisory services. Also highly recommended are Risti Wulansari, who handles advisory and prosecution matters, and Fortuna Alvariza, who is skilled in licensing and registrations.
‘K&K has a very strong trademark practice group with a good knowledge for both contentious and non-contentious matters.’
Procter & Gamble
Anggada Putra Rekso Mulia
British American Tobacco
The Sunrider Corporation DBA Sunrider International
Shiseido Americas Corporation
ABC President Indonesia
Upfield Consulting Indonesia
Hub Asia Pte Ltd
- Assisting Shiseido Americas Corporation with filing new trade mark applications in Indonesia.
- Assisting Bukalapak.com with filing an outbound trade mark application via the Madrid Protocol.
- Advising Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa on its IP portfolio, which includes trade mark, patent, design and copyright matters.
- Assisting Hugo Boss with filing a cancellation claim at the Indonesian Commercial Court against a third party’s trade mark that consisted of the name “HUGO”.
- Assisting Luxottica with its brand protection strategy.
Kusnandar & Co. is currently very active in trade mark and copyright infringement issues. Founding partner Winita Kusnandar is a key figure and an expert in IP litigation. She is supported by Arno Rizaldi D. Kwok , who also focuses on contentious issues.
Other key lawyers:
Rajamada & Partners is highly skilled in trade mark disputes, particularly in the technology and manufacturing sectors. Mada Silalahi leads the team and is very active in trade mark, patent and trade secrets cases.
Waqara Jasa Bangsa
- Assisted Abakus in the dispute with a third party which registered the “WECASH” trade mark without authorisation.
- Acted for Waqara Jasa Bangsa in a dispute with a third party with ill intent to register the “WAQARA” trade mark without authorisation from the company.
- Assisted OVO Indonesia with reviewing the production of digital video containing copyrighted works (in the form of a movie) owned by third parties.
- Acted for EIK Engineering in an attempt to secure the ownership of the “EIK” trade mark in Indonesia.