Firms in the Spotlight Intellectual property
Frans Winarta & Partners
FWP has dedicated its highly valuable service to the protection of intellectual property rights in Indonesia through Winarta Intellectual Property Practice (WIP). The professionalism and good capabilities of the firm in handling various cases of intellectual property have made WIP as one of the leading firms in Indonesia. We believe that all staffs, lawyers and …View Profile...
Intellectual property in Indonesia
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie
Hadiputranto, Hadinoto & Partners, a member firm of Baker McKenzie is the only internationally affiliated corporate law firm with a strong IP practice and as such has the resources to handle the IP portfolios of major companies such as Unilever, Apple and British America Tobacco. Soft IP specialist Daru Lukiantono leads the team and is an expert in portfolio management, enforcement, litigation as well as advising on the IP elements of corporate transactions. Wiku Aninditois is an expert in enforcement and litigation, particularly when it comes to online infringement.
Amazon Technologies Inc.
Dart Industries Inc.
Monster Energy Company
Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha
Palmerston Ltd / Hutchison Group
WD-40 Manufacturing Company
British America Tobacco
Januar Jahja & Partners
Januar Jahja & Partners is a leading intellectual property boutique with a client roster containing iconic brand owners such as DC Comics, Nestle and Yum! Brands. Managing partner Prudence Jahja is an important name in the market, most notably in the areas of trademark prosecution and litigation. She co-manages the team alongside foreign legal consultant Andrew Diamond, who is particularly strong in patent drafting and registration.
‘Having a US attorney working for them gives the advantage of understanding what US corporates and applicants need.’
‘Andrew Diamond. He knows how foreign applicants think, and understands what they need from him and their patents in ID. He gives clear concise commercially relevant advice.’
‘Ms. Prudence Jahja is clearly an expert in her field. Excellent communication skills as well as thoughtful advice and a service-minded approach make her an outstanding choice for our intellectual property needs in Indonesia. After working with another firm in Indonesia for decades, we are quite frankly relieved to have complete confidence in entrusting our work to Ms. Jahja.’
Tencent Holdings Limited
Japan Tobacco Inc.
Societe des Produits Nestle S.A. (“Nestle”)
WeWork Companies, LLC
Sunkist Growers, Inc.
- Advised Bogamulia Nagadi on the defence of a trademark cancellation action for one of Indonesia’s largest conglomerates.
- Successful defense of a trademark cancellation action for Elektrim Motors.
- Advised Fluke Corporation on a petition to Ministry of Law/Ministry of Communications to block copyright infringing content on third party website.
IP specialist practice SKC Law acts for international names such as FIFA and Adidas, as well as major players in the domestic market such as Gojek and Tokopedia. Purnomo Suryomurcito leads the enforcement and intelligence side of the practice which often involves advising on criminal raids of suspected counterfeiting. Nidya Kalangie heads up the litigation and prosecution side, with expertise in both trademark and patent law. Foreign advocate Andrew Conduit works on both contentious and non-contentious matters and is mostly known for his work in assisting international clients.
‘Nimble team who understand clients needs.’
‘Purnomo Suryomurcito – his in-depth knowledge of the practicalities of IP enforcement in a market that is not necessarily very transparent.
adidas International Marketing B.V.
Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa, PT. (Gojek)
Casio Computer Co., Ltd.
Canon Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA)
Gajah Tunggal Tbk., PT.
GS Yuasa International, Ltd.
Hensley Industries Inc.
Honda Motor Co. Ltd.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals (HK) Ltd.
Petrosea Tbk., PT.
Robinson LLC (instructing for Apple, Beats, HP)
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
Sony Interactive Entertainment
Trias Holding AG
Yamaha Motor Co. Ltd
Zippo Manufacturing Company
- Advising Tokopedia on the prosecution and commercialisation strategy for its intellectual property assets.
- Advising Gajah Tunggal on international trademark prosecution to support the expansion of its business in the ASEAN region.
- Advising Gojek on a patent dispute and patent prosecution.
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse
Suryomurcito & Co. in association with Rouse stands out for its sizable team alongside its memberships of an IP specialist global network. Nicholas Redfearn is deputy CEO of the Rouse network and is well placed to handle enforcement work across Asia due to his experience in working in multiple countries across the region. Yurio Astary is a key name for the firm’s trademark work and has advised on portfolios and enforcement for Starbucks, ExxonMobil and the major domestic company Tiket.com. Trademark prosecution is a particular strength of Lisa Yong, both domestically and in other ASEAN countries. Kin Wah Chow is very experienced in handling enforcement work for international clients, most recently for Harley Davidson and Decathalon. Also recommended are Tania Lovita, who is highly skilled in domestic enforcement and litigation, and Arifia Fajra, who focuses on patent prosecution and management.
- Defending Godrej Consumer Products Limited on patent invalidation action at the Patent Appeal Commission.
- Representing GS Yuasa Corporation in a successful trade mark appeal case at Supreme Court.
- Successful acted for Levi Strauss and Co in a trade mark infringement action in relation to unauthorized use of a design trade mark.
Assegaf Hamzah & Partners’ intellectual property practice consists of IP specialist Dewi Kamaratih Soeharto working alongside the multi-disciplined commercial litigator Chandra Hamzah. Soeharto is highly skilled in soft IP and has been advising Tik Tok on the numerous copyright issues emanating from the use of music on its digital platform. Meanwhile Hamzah has been very active in copyright and trademark infringement-related disputes.
TikTok Pte. Ltd.
PT Nirvana Wastu Pratama
Smart Media4u Technology Pte., Ltd.
PT Sumber Alfaria Trijaya Tbk (“Alfamart”)
PT Midi Utama Indonesia Tbk (“Alfamidi”)
Columbia Asia Healthcare Sdn. Bhd.
- Advising WeBank on a proposed Cooperation Agreement and assisting WeBank in preparing/commenting on the Cooperation Agreement.
- Representing Alfamart and Alfamidi on an appeal before the Supreme Court to defend allegations of copyright infringement.
- Assisted TikTok to determine and negotiate royalty fees with relevant copyright holders for the use of music and other audio material on its digital streaming platform in Indonesia.
K&K Advocates is an intellectual property boutique with an enviable client roster containing major domestic and intentional names such as Hugo Boss, Gojek and Tik Tok. Managing partner Justisiari Kusumah is a respected name in the market, having assisted in drafting legislation and acted before the Indonesian Commercial Court and Supreme Court. Fellow founding partner Risti Wulansari is an expert in prosecution as well as in enforcement and advisory issues.
‘K&K team has the capability to manage the IP portfolio of big companies and the tech industry like us. Their team has a deep understanding of the IP matters and maintains a good relationship with the IP office.’
‘Risty Wulansari is the partner who handles our IP portfolio. She is a top IP counsel and very responsive. She is able to manage her team to deliver the works in a timely manner.’
Gojek (PT Aplikasi Karya Anak Bangsa)
British American Tobacco Indonesia
Soho Global Health
The Sunrider Corporation DBA Sunrider International
PT Telkom Indonesia (Persero) Tbk (Telkom)
The Procter & Gamble Company
The Procter & Gamble Home Products Indonesia
The Gillete Company LLC
Shell Brands International AG
PT Paragon Technology and Innovation
Oakley Inc and Luxottica S.P.A.
Bird & Bird ATMD
Kim & Chang
- Assisting Gojek with handling their IP portfolio.
- Assisting Hugo Boss in filing a cancellation claim at the Indonesian Commercial Court against third party’s trademark that consisting “HUGO” name.
- Providing legal advice to Bytedance on copyright matters, in relation to their upcoming feature in their TikTok application that will be launched in Indonesia.
Roosdiono & Partners
Roosdiono & Partners’ membership of the Zico Law network makes it well placed to handle IP portfolios that span across other ASEAN countries. Jointly leading the practice is Endra Prabawa, who is highly skilled in contentious IP and has acted on cases that have led to the Supreme Court. Also leading the team is Ajeng Yesie Triewanty who similarly focuses on disputes, but is also highly skilled in due diligence and transactional work.
GUANGDONG OPPO MOBILE TELECOMMUNICATIONS CORP., LTD
IICOMBINED Co., Ltd (previously was SNOOPBY CO., LTD)
INDUSTRIAS GALFER, S.A.
Blackshark Technologies (Nanchang) Co. Ltd.
PT Tower Bersama Infrastructure Tbk
- Represented Wang Ching-Lung as a defendant in 2 trade mark Infringement lawsuits.
- Assisted Guangdong OPPO Mobile Telecommunications in more than 20 national phase patent applications.
- Advised IICOMBINED who in a trade mark opposition submitted by Monster Energy Company.
Southeast Asian law firm Tilleke & Gibbins has a very strong IP practice in Indonesia, noted for advising Audi, BMW and Amazon. Those particular clients demonstrate its strengths in the automotive and technology, but the team is also highly skilled surrounding life sciences. Wongrat Ratanaprayul leads the Jakarta office and advises on all aspects of IP prosecution. Overseeing the firm’s Jakarta office is Bangkok-based Somboon Earterasarun who often advises international clients on their IP portfolios across Southeast Asia.
Beca Group Limited
Palm Angels s.r.l.
- Appointed by John Hardy to manage their global IP portfolio, including a significant trademark portfolio and more than 1,500 industrial designs and copyrights registered in Indonesia.
- Successfully assisted a well-known apparel manufacturer with a trademark cancellation action against an Indonesian trademark holder with a confusingly similar mark.
- Assisted a world-leading tobacco manufacturing company with products sold in over 180 countries in successfully appealing a permanent rejection decision by the Registrar in Indonesia and registering their valuable trademark.
Iman Sjahputra & Partners has been very active in soft IP issues concerning registrations, licensing and advertising. Managing partner Iman Sjahputra leads the practice and is a member of the Indonesian Advocate Association and a licensed Indonesian IP consultant. He is supported by senior associate Willy Isananda.
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc.
Seiko Epson Corp.
NTT Docomo Inc.
Hino Motors Ltd.
Yokohama Rubber Co. Ltd.
Sogo & Seibu Co. Ltd.
John Hardy Ltd. (jewellery company)
Gildan Activewear Inc. (one of world’s largest clothing companies)
The Commonwealth of Australia
Diageo Brands BV
NGK (one of world’s largest spark plug companies)
Yakult Honsha Co. Ltd.
- Advised NGK Spark Plug Co., Ltd. on licensing issue in Indonesia.
- Advised PT ING in relation to a trade mark dispute.
Inter Patent Office
Inter Patent Office is an IP specialist boutique known for its work in patent, trademark and industrial designs law, representing both local and international clients. Managing partner Hendra Widjaya leads the practice and is an expert in both patent and trademark prosecution work, and counts Dexa Medica - a leading pharmaceutical company in Indonesia- as a key client. Anny Gunadi is another key name noted for her work assisting local companies on their global portfolios, most recently acting for local manufacturer Terang Dunia Internusa on its EU trademark application.
Dexa Medica Group
Orang Tua Group
PT Terang Dunia Internusa
Hardwood Pte Ltd
Detmold Packaging Pty Ltd
PT Massindo International
PT Kabulinco Jaya
Exicom Tele-Systems Limited
- Successfully representing Terang Dunia Internusa in submitting the trademark appeal before the Trademark Appeal Commission for its trademark of “UNITED” in class 12.
- Assisting Terang Dunia Internusa in conducting the international trademark application of its trademark of “PATROL” in class 12 in the subsequent designated countries, and the European Union trademark application.
- Representing Dexa Medica on trade mark portfolio management.
Dedy Kurniadi & Co Lawyers Office
Dedy Kurniadi & Co Lawyers Office is known for its work in the local entertainment sector, and as such is highly skilled in copyright and trademark work, with additional expertise in patent registrations. Managing partner Dedi Kurniadi is the key name of note.
- Advising Toyota-Astra Motor on its trade mark portfolio management.
- Advising the Indonesian music group D’Masiv on its brand protection and trade mark management.
- Advising the estate of deceased songwriter Jockie Soerjoprajogo on the management the musician’s recordings.
A relatively new firm to the market, Rajamada & Partners has been assisting clients with patent and trademark registrations, cancellations and general protection. Founding partner Mada Silalahi is a member of the Associations of Indonesian Advocates and a registered IP consultant.
Hangzhou DAC Biotech, Co., Ltd
CARDIX Therapeutics, LLC
PT Hypefast Karya Nusantara
- Assisted Hangzhou DAC Biotech Co., Ltd in filing and providing legal advise in relations to the various patent application processes at the Indonesian Patent Office based on the regulations of the Patent Cooperation Treaty.
- Collaborated with Studio Legale Cartella – Manzoni, a prominent legal and IP firm in Milano, in advising and representing the client, Caberg S.P.A for the cancellation action against the “CABERG” trademark registered by an Indonesian party.
- Advised PT Hypefast Karya Nusantara on a brand protection strategy in Indonesia for the multiple apparel brands that they have acquired.