Real estate and construction in Iceland
Led by seasoned litigator Guðmundur Siemsen, the real estate and construction department at ADVEL Attorneys at Law handles work for large international and domestic clients, which benefit from the team's track record in planning issues, public procurement mandates and contractor disputes. The team is also known for its expertise in matters relating to landmarks, natural resources and geothermal energy projects and counts Iceland's largest engineering company Mannvit on its client roster. The group recently represented Reitir in a case relating to a public registrar error regarding a property in Hallarmuli, Reykjavik.
Óskar Sigurðsson and Arnar Þór Stefánsson head up the real estate and construction team at Lex Law Offices, and specialises in property law and building legislation mandates respectively. The group handles work for municipalities as well as the Icelandic State, including assisting with projects relating to hospitals, energy and natural resources companies and advising on matters pertaining to the constitutional right to peaceful enjoyment. In a recent highlight, the practice represented NLSH in a dispute regarding the construction of a patient’s hotel and several connected projects. Guðjón Ármannsson is a key contact for issues concerning administrative law.
Óskar Sigurðsson; Arnar Þór Stefánsson
Other key lawyers:
‘The service is immaculate and they are fast working people with good skills . I choose this firm for many reasons but the staff is number one, the staff is great.’
‘Óskar Sigurðsson is the lawyer I work the most with. He is solution-oriented and a strong lawyer who is really quick to solve every problem for me and my company.’
‘It’s that personal touch. It’s that quick response time. It’s the quality of the work. It’s the results.’
Nýr Landspítali ohf. (NLSH)
Landowners of Kalmanstunga and Arnarvatnsheidi
The Icelandic State
Andri Már Ingólfsson
Íbúðalánasjóður (The Housing Financing Fund)
Larsen’s’ Design and Consultation ehf.
Asahreppur, Fljotsdalshreppur, Grimsnes- and Grafningshreppur, Hvalfjardarsveit and Skorradalshreppur.
- Representing NLSH in ISK1bn arbitration proceedings regarding the construction of a new university hospital in Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Representing Kópavogur municipality in an ISK75bn court case regarding land real estate.
- Appointed as a member of the government ‘s working group for the improvement of the country‘s infrastructure due to a heavy storm in Iceland in late 2019.
LOGOS legal services
Led by public procurement specialist Hjördís Halldórsdóttir, the real estate and construction team at LOGOS legal services handles transactions, property developments, commercial leases, financing work and tax issues. The group also has a strong track record in dispute resolution and successfully represented IAV in court proceedings against the creditor of a bankrupt estate. Benedikt Egill Árnason is recommended for energy sector work, while Erlendur Gíslason is the name to note for debt settlements.
Other key lawyers:
Benedikt Egill Árnason; Erlendur Gíslason
‘Very professional service. You will always get a very quick feedback on your requests and the tasks are directed to the people with the proper skills.’
‘Hjördís Halldórsdóttir is our key account lawyer in the firm. She has excellent know how within the Construction business and has been involved in lot of our claim cases as well as general contracting support. Prompt and professional.’
‘They are knowledgeable and accessible. Benedikt Egill Árnason and Hjördís Halldórsdóttir have been my main contacts.’
Islenskir adalverktakar hf. (IAV)
Nordural Grundartangi ehf.
Rio Tinto á Íslandi hf.
Jardboranir hf./Iceland Drilling Ltd.
Munck Island ehf.
Framkvaemdafelagid Arnarhvoll ehf.
Eignarhaldsfelagid Hornsteinn ehf.
B.M. Vallá ehf.
BS eignir ehf.
Járn verktakar ehf.
Government Construction Contracting Agency (Framkvæmdasýsla ríkisins)
Byggingafélagið Bakki ehf.
Klasi ehf. / Smárabyggð ehf.
- Advising Jardboranir on various projects around the world involving drilling geothermal wells.
- Advising Vatnworks Iceland ehf., an Indian-owned vehicle, on the development of a water bottling factory in Borgarfjordur Eystri, in the East of Iceland.
- Representing ÍAV in a Supreme Court case concerning the admission of damages, due to a property developer’s refusal to award a contract to ÍAV.
Juris' real estate and construction team recently acted for the Icelandic Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs in a long-running dispute regarding the legal distinction between public and private lands with an emphasis on the status of the highlands and uninhabited territory. The group has also expanded its footprint in project finance work and advises property companies on investments in fishing rivers; it has further experience in planning and contentious matters, and regularly represents Icelandic municipalities. Team leader Halldór Jónsson and Simon Knight are the key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Krókháls 13 ehf.
Municipality of Ísafjörður
Ísloft blikk og stálsmiðja ehf.
Icelandic Ministry of Finance and Economic Affairs
Skuggi 4 ehf.
LL06 ehf./GAMMA Capital Management hf.
Kvika banki hf.
- Acting for the Municipality of Ísafjörður in a dispute regarding a 1976 assignment of rights in power production.
- Advised Aðaltorg ehf. on the construction of a modular hotel (the Marriott Courtyard hotel) at Iceland’s primary international airport at Keflavík and advising on ongoing connected issues.
- Acted for LL06 ehf. in a dispute with its main contractor.