Intellectual property in Hungary
Danubia Legal fields several key practitioners, who handle IP litigation, cancellations, and opposition cases, with particular experience in handling arbitration proceedings and ADR arising from domain disputes. Its expertise covers patent, trade mark, copyright and unfair competition matters. The team works closely with Danubia Patent and Law Office, which handles prosecution, enforcement and portfolio management. Judit Lantos' recent highlights include representing technology companies in trade mark opposition proceedings. Zsófia Klauber is another recommended trade mark practitioner. On the patent side, József Tálas and Eszter Szakács are particularly active in the pharmaceuticals industry, representing multinational companies in high-profile patent litigation.
- Represented Bayer Pharma in a preliminary ruling proceeding related to a patent enforcement.
- Successfully represented Incyte Corp in a preliminary ruling proceeding before the CJEU related to the granting of an SPC.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda advises on the IP aspects of M&A transactions including IP protection, the acquisition and exploitation of IP rights and GDPR compliance issues; the team also has notable strength in IP litigation. Ivan Bartal and Áron László are highly recommended.
‘Always highlights the main risks and weights them from the client’s prospective‘.
- Representing Gömböc concerning a Hungarian 3D trade mark application protecting the Gömböc, a decorative object and toy.
- Acting for IVS in a complex patent litigation against the owner of the only Hungarian nuclear power plant, MVM.
- Advising Scania Hungária on a range of matters including brand protection, media and advertising matters, sponsorship agreements.
SBGK stands out for its experience in trade mark litigation, as well as patent, design and copyright protection matters. Managing partner Katalin Szamosi is 'always on hand and approachable', and leads a 'solid and experienced' team which includes trade mark specialists Gabriella Sasvári and Péter Lukácsi; the latter also advises on unfair competition, advertising and franchising matters. Eniko Karsay handles patent litigation, and Ádám György focuses on design and trade mark matters.
‘The team at SBGK knows the Hungarian market very well and can be relied upon to provide accurate and reliable advice‘.
‘Katalin Szamosi is always on hand and approachable‘.
Exeltis Magyarország Kft.
GANZ DANUBIUS Kereskedelmi Kft.
Ikarus Egyedi Autóbuszgyár Kft.
Ikarus Wealth Management Kft.
Illés Csók és Társa
Kraft Foods Schweiz Holding GmbH
Rubik’s Brand Limited
Zsolnay Porcelánmanufaktúra Zrt.
- Represented Rubik’s Brand regarding the validity of the EU trade mark protecting the black and white 3D representation of the Rubik’s Cube.
- Acted for Kraft Foods Schweiz Holding GmbH in a trade mark infringement dispute against Bonbonetti, a well-known Hungarian sweets manufacturer, in connection with its Milka lilac trade mark.
- Defending Exeltis Magyarország Kft. Bayer in a patent infringement against Bayer.
The intellectual property team at Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda assists with a combination of contentious and commercial matters across the full range of IP rights. It has notable expertise in acting for clients in the life sciences and pharmaceuticals sectors, which the team advises on patent litigation and licensing matters. Among its recent mandates, practice head Bálint Halász and senior associate Bettina Kövecses acted for a pharmaceuticals company in trade mark matters and patent litigation, and assisted a multinational company with a mix of patent litigation, parallel import and trade mark matters.
KVINT-R Kft N
Hello Wood Kft
HYAMATRIX Hungary Kft
Gold Medicina Kft
- Acting for KVINT-R Kft in a trade mark cancellation action.
- Advising Speedfitness on registering its key brand as a community trade mark.
- Representing Polyduct in a design infringement and a separate design cancellation action.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law's recent highlights include defending Richter Gedeon against Bayer's patent infringement claim arising from the marketing of the contraceptives Symicia and Volina, which contain drospirenon; and in a separate case, defending the client against Pfizer's patent infringement claim relating to the marketing for a product containing sildenafil. Gusztáv Bacher has notable experience in enforcement proceedings before the HIPO and EUIPO, and acting in domain name disputes. Managing partner András Szecskay and of counsel Gábor Faludi Jr are also key names to note.
‘Responsive and always has good understanding of client’s requirements‘.
Richter Gedeon Nyrt
Zwack Unicum Nyrt.
Organix Brands Limited
Benkó Dixieland Band Orchestra
Budapest Festival Orchestra
Chapter 4 Corp.
- Representing the members of the Benkó Dixieland Orchestra in a trade mark dispute against the son of the band’s founder who has filed a trade mark application for the name Benkó Dixieland Band in order to prevent the members of the orchestra from using the previous name.
- Advising Nanushka on its worldwide trade mark application strategy, distribution and supply agreement, and a domain name dispute.
- Acting for Chapter 4 Corp in a worldwide trade mark dispute concerning the SUPREME trademark.
CMS handles a mix of transactional IP work including portfolio management issues and IP disputes. Recent highlights include advising an energy sector client on a technology licence and IP portfolio restructuring matters; assisting a life sciences company with the enforcement of trade mark rights; and acting in a domain name infringement dispute for new client MoneyGram. Dóra Petrányi is 'an excellent leader who has outstanding knowledge of IP law and many other practice areas such as TMT and competition, which makes her a very well-rounded professional'. Senior associates Ágnes Sólyom and Eszter Csapó are also highly recommended. Associate Gábor Bertók was a new arrival in 2020.
‘Dóra Petrányi always gives the good advice and her strategic thinking helps move things forward and reaching the preferable outcome‘.
‘Dóra Petrányi is an excellent leader who has outstanding knowledge of IP law and many other practice areas such as TMT and competition, which makes her a very well-rounded professional‘.
Hungarian Association of Hungarian Sound Engineers
CEE Equity Partners
Partner in Pet Food
- Advising Microsoft Hungary on the enforcement of its copyright rights and commercial IP issues.
- Acting for Magyar Telekom and its affiliate on the acquisition of a wide range of copyright and neighbouring right protected contents.
- Representing Partner in Pet Food in two major European trade mark opposition cases.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law counts a number of multinational brand owners including General Motors, Alere Group, Spanish fashion brand Mango and British American Tobacco as clients, and advises them trade mark portfolio management issues as well as opposition matters. Recent highlights also include acting for a number of multinational clients in domain name infringement disputes, and representing a manufacturing company in trade mark and design rights infringement disputes, as well as an enforcement action against the counterfeit products. Zsófia Lendvai and Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi are the key names to note.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Ines Radmilovic; Dr. Ádám Liber
Alere Group (Abbott)
British American Tobacco
The Tokaj Wine Region Development Council
Pálinka National Council
Oriental Soup House
A major global construction company
Film production company
American Chamber of Commerce
Te Döntesz Kft.
- Representing Fragola in opposition proceedings against an EU trade mark application from the Netherlands, and filing two EU trade mark applications for the word Fragola and device mark.
- Representing The National Council of Pálinka in trade mark cancellation proceedings in Japan.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners
Lakatos, Köves and Partners regularly advises on the IP aspects of M&A transactions. It also has notable experience in brand protection issues and IP litigation. Iván Sólyom and Péter Lakatos are noted.
Philip Morris international
Szentkirályi Kékkúti Ásványvíz, subsidiary of Karlovarské minerální vody
- Advising Vodafone on the IP and data protection aspects of its acquisition of the Hungarian assets of Liberty Global.
Dentons handles trade mark and design matters and has particular expertise in copyright royalty and levy regimes. Its client roster features a mix of global corporate names and a broad spectrum of Hungarian entities. Managing partner István Réczicza is the key name to note, and is recommended alongside counsel Tímea Bana, who is 'an outstanding lawyer'.
‘Timea Bana is always to the point and very helpful’.
Airbus Defence and Space
UFA Hungary (RTL Group S.A.)
- Advising UFA Hungary on IP and data protection matters including program production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters.
- Advising Airbus Defence and Space on its IP matters relating to its operations in Hungary.
- Advised a multinational technology conglomerate on a copyright matter.
DLA Piper advises on the IP-related aspects of film and television projects including licensing and clearance matters. Its recent instructions also include trade mark infringement and opposition matters. Mónika Horváth is recommended. Gábor Bertók, formerly an associate in the team, left the firm in 2020.
Assigned Productions Limited
Hocus Pocus Productions Ltd
NBCU Television/Universal Television Emerald Productions
Legendary Features Productions US, LLC
Turner Entertainment Networks, Inc.
Big Country Films Ltd
Crocus Productions, Inc
Ninja Productions Limited
- Acting for British International School Foundation in a number of trade mark registration proceedings.
- Represented Eventbrite in a domain name dispute.
- Successfully represented Fidifarm, a leading manufacturer of nutritional supplements and over-the-counter medicines, against a Hungarian distributor in a trade mark infringement case.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda handles a mix of IP licensing, opposition, infringement and cancellation matters, as well as domain name disputes. Kinga Hetényi and associate Márk Kovács are the names to note.
Esterházy Betriebe GmbH, Eisenstadt
HARIBO Hungária Édességgyártó- és Forgalmazó Kft.
Basilur Tea Export (PVT) Ltd.
SAMSONITE IP Holdings S.á.r.l.
OMV Refining & Marketing GmbH
- Continuously assisting Haribo Hungária Édességgyártó- és Forgalmazó Kft. with the management of its trademark portfolio in Hungary.
- Advised Basilur in a trade mark cancellation proceeding against a local, unofficial distributor.