Although Danubia Legal is a relatively new entrant to the intellectual property market, it has quickly climbed the ranks to establish itself as one of Hungary’s top specialist trade marks and patents practices. According to a client, it has ‘the go-to team for patent litigation - none compare in thoroughness or skill.’ The group comprises of litigators Eszter Szakács and József Tálas, who work with trade mark attorneys Judit Lantos and Zsófia Klauber. Another name to note is Viktor Łuszcz, who is the former president of the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office. Łuszcz is also experienced in competition and advertisement law. The firm covers the full spectrum of IP law for clients and is highly regarded for its capabilities in trade mark filings, prosecutions, portfolio management, patents and licensing.
Intellectual property in Hungary
Judit Lantos; Viktor Łuszcz
Other key lawyers:
Eszter Szakács; József Tálas; Zsófia Klauber
‘Eszter has excellent command of the specifics of IP law in relation to regulated (pharma) markets in Hungary.’
‘The go-to team in Hungary for patent litigation – none compare in thoroughness or skill.’
‘Eszter Szakacs and Jozsef Talas are an unbeatable team – the yin and yang which lead to success.’
Astoria-Tisza Holding Kft.
- Acted for Astoria-Tisza Holding Kft. on successfully reviving the well-known Hungarian ”tisza” retro shoe brand in the trade mark cancellation procedure initiated by the legal successor of the state-owned company that previously manufactured the shoe brand.
- Representing Mandelay Kft. before the General Court of the EU (Luxembourg) in four trade mark cases.
- Representing Bayer Pharma in front of the CJEU – the case concerns whether after the withdrawal of the preliminary injunction the patentee shall pay compensation to the injuncted party, and if so, how to calculate the exact amount of appropriate compensation.
Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda‘s ‘perfect team‘ is made up of ‘highly skilled professionals’, who are experienced in acting for domestic and international brands (particularly in the healthcare and food and beverage sectors) on all areas of IP. Key strengths include trade mark litigation, trade mark applications and brand acquisitions. The group also has expertise in the niche and technical areas of software asset management, development and exploitation matters. Ivan Bartal has ‘great business acumen and always provides practical assistance’ in data protection, copyright, IT and advice on M&A-related matters. Aron Laszlo is in charge of portfolio management and IP litigation, while Barnabas Mezo focuses on prosecutions before EU Courts and Hungarian IPO, as well as on trademark litigation and domain name disputes.
Ivan Bartal; Aron Laszlo
Other key lawyers:
‘Perfect team. They are always available when we need them in case of any kind of matter. Everyone in their team is doing a perfect service (communication, response, speed, attitude and is a highly skilled professional.’
‘Prudent and friendly legal office with strong M&A and technological (software) related IPR know-how.’
‘Ivan Bartal is a great person, has great business acumen and always provides practical assistance and advice. We appreciate his open-minded approach and rare capacity (of an attorney) to understand and overview complex technological matters and process flows.’
‘They are always quick and efficient and know our business (we are a creative agency with its specific set of problems) which other firms we worked did not know as well. This reduces turnarounds as their lawyers have ample experience with problems facing agencies like us.’
‘Most of the work we did was with Ivan Bartal. We have known him for a long time and he has always provided high-quality service. Knowing the jargon for the usual contracts and copyright matters is really helpful when dealing with foreign clients.’
Chinoin / Sanofi
Vodafone Shared Services
- Successfully acted for Hell Energy Magyarorszag in overturning EUIPO’s negative decisions before the General Court of the European Union resulting in trademark protection for the sign HELL for coffee-related products.
- Represented Wizz Air Hungary in a name dispute in which the court found likelihood of confusion between WIZZ and BUZZ, and ordered interim injunction against Ryanair subsidiary Ryanair Sun, who were planning to change name to BUZZ Air.
- Acted for Organica Technologies in successfully blocking an ex-employee and his new firm to use Organica’s achievements as their own for professional reference purposes.
SBGK houses a market-leading trade mark and patent disputes practice, representing a myriad of household-name brands such as Godiva Belgium, Red Bull and DIESEL in infringement, invalidity and opposition matters. The practice is also highly recommended for its non-contentious expertise in portfolio management, design and copyright and commercial matters. Manging partner Katalin Szamosi is an authority in all areas of IP, having 40 years of experience in this space. She is supported by Peter Lukacsi, an experienced litigator who is also well-versed in licensing and commercial arrangements. Trade mark attorney Gabriella Sasvári is also recommended. Adam Gyorgy is noted for being an expert in industrial designs and trade marks.
Other key lawyers:
Péter Lukácsi; Gabriella Sasvári; Ádám György.
‘We worked with Adám György. High quality service, very good contact, great experience in the field.’
‘SBGK is a great local law firm with a wide range of IP-related services and also with a great connection to the international field of law firms. Their online and tech skills have been great and made communication and review much easier. They provide professional services with high quality of legal advice and represent our company with fantastic approach and expertise.’
‘We are working with Katalin Szamosi and Ádám György. Both of them are well-known and established names in the IP circles and their work proves their reputation perfectly.’
Aeron Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság
Dám Kft. / Incababy Distribution Gmbh
Flowil International Lighting (Holding) BV
Godiva Belgium B.V./S.R.L.
Madison Rand Promotions SRL
Nanushka International Zrt.
Red Bull GmbH
Sunnei SRL / SNJ Holding Zrt.
Virtuosos Holding Ltd.
- Advising Sunnei, a famous Italian designer clothing and bag company, on the management of the entire trademark and IP portfolio.
- Providing global portfolio management services to Nanushka International, a famous retail brand.
- Represented Godiva Belgium in successfully filing an opposition to the Spanish firm’ application for PURE BEAUTY LADY GODIVA, in which the Hungarian IPO agreed that the name is too similar to Godiva Chocolates.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda is highly regarded for its wide-ranging transactional and contentious IP capabilities. Bálint Halász heads up the practice, which continues to build on its expertise in the biotech, pharmaceutical and telecoms space. It also attracts a steady stream of instructions in the retail and sports arenas, particularly in relation to the protection of trade marks and designs. Halász’s expertise spans all areas of IP, including management of portfolios, licensing, infringement litigation and advice on anti-piracy strategies.
- Assisting SPEEDFITNESS Kft. in registration of its key brands as a community trademark and brand management issues.
- Advising Polyduct Zrt. in a design infringement and a separate design cancellation action.
- Representing Naturtrade Hungary, a large health-food retailer, in trademark cases, inter alia, an opposition action against the Hungarian unlawful registration of the brand name “Eden Premium” by a former employee; as well as opposition action at the EUIPO regards the EUTMa for their brand and logo.
Szecskay Attorneys at Law is a strong choice for advice on trade mark filings and prosecutions, as well as patent, copyright and domain name infringement cases before the HIPO and EUIPO. Team head Gusztáv Bacher is well known for his work in IP in the pharmaceutical sector, which includes portfolio management and licensing agreements. Managing partner András Szecskay is praised for his ‘outstanding capabilities in litigation’. Gábor Faludi advises artists, writers and designers on copyright protection and infringements. Senior associates Gábor Faludi Junior and Dávid Kerpel are other key figures in the group, which acts for clients such as leading pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, and also Hungarian artists and musicians.
Gusztáv Bacher; András Szecskay
Other key lawyers:
Gábor Faludi; Gábor Faludi Junior; Dávid Kerpel
‘The main point is that the team is very reliable and very fast. They have great knowledge, especially in IP and copyright cases. We are very very happy to have such a good partner in Hungary’
‘David Kerpel always reacted very quickly and explained the special procedure in Hungary in detail. He also had creative solutions at the ready, which always led to the goal. His partner, Gusztav Bacher leads the team very well and gives his associates enough space to freely contribute their strengths.’
‘Great knowledge and valuable experience, good communication with the client’
‘Mr. Szecskay has a well-deserved reputation as a professional representative in IP matters, his capabilities are outstanding in litigation with a view to achieving agreement among the parties. Mr. Bacher has extensive experience and a great understanding of how the pharmaceutical industry operates.’
Ceva Santé Animale
Egis Pharmaceuticals PLC
Chapter 4 Corp (Supreme)
Zwack Unicum Rt.
Budapest Festival Orchestra
XO Trademarks LLC
CRU Hungary Kft.
MAN Truck and Bus SE
MGI International Sales Co. Limited (Hong Kong)
Latvia MGI Tech SIA (Latvia)
ART1ST DESIGN STUDIO LLC
- Represented Richter Gedeon, a major Hungarian pharmaceutical multinational in a petition to HIPO to grant a licence for manufacturing of Remdesivir, a medication which is used to alleviate Covid-19 symptoms.
- Advising DIGIC Pictures on copyright matters in connection with production of motion pictures. DIGIC Pictures is an 18-year-old animation studio based in Hungary that has made its reputation with its high-end 3D animation for feature films, commercials and within the video game industry.
- Representing the Hungarian subsidiary of CEVA Santé Animale SA, a French company, against Bayer Animal Health, which considers CEVA’s new veterinary product as being an infringement of its European patent No. 2 164 496.
CMS ‘stands out in the market with its precise, commercially well-founded and always to the point expert advice on the full scope of intellectual property matters’. The Budapest-based team is adept at managing international trade mark portfolios, technology and software licensing agreements, IP due diligence and trade mark infringements. Leading the practice is Dóra Petrányi, who is a ‘real heavyweight‘ with ‘outstanding experience’ of matters concerning life sciences and technology. Ágnes Sólyom is 'among the few truly dedicated and known IP professionals in the market'. Senior associates Eszter Csapó and Miklós Boros are noted for copyright, trade marks and content sourcing work.
Other key lawyers:
Ágnes Sólyom; Eszter Csapó; Miklós Boros
‘CMS has a great network across the globe that helped us to connect the appropriate legal expert to support many times. They have dedicated experts for certain areas that makes the work even quicker and simpler.’
‘Our partner is Dora Petranyi, who has outstanding experience in many legal areas. She is also a great strategist. Ágnes Sólyom is the senior associate, team leader with whom I work most together. She has impressive experience in IPR and provides excellent services, demonstrating professionalism and personal attention to all details. I would highly recommend both of them again and again.’
‘Dóra Petrányi is absolutely the preferred partner for all questions concerning IP in Hungary. She is highly knowledgeable, hard-working, responsive and provides effective strategic advice on a domestic and international scale.’
‘Ágnes Sólyom is very talented, highly qualified and experienced IP lawyer. She has impressively proven that she is willing and able to go the extra mile for her clients.’
‘Miklós Boros is really reliable, solution-driven, quick to respond and efficient. He is a very competent young lawyer.’
‘The team stands out on the market with their expertise advising on the full scope of intellectual property matters. I especially like the fact that their legal advice is precise, commercially well-founded and always to the point.’
‘Dora Petranyi is a real heavyweight, who always considers business drivers and comes up with the best possible legal solutions for us. A highly senior member of the team, Agnes Solyom, is amongst the few truly dedicated and known IP professionals on the market, who has just the right knowledge and is great and efficient to work with. Eszter Csapo is not only one of the best TMT sector experts but also a seasoned adviser when it comes to intellectual property or copyright matters – we fully trust her advice.’
Partner in Pet Food
Terre de Hommes
Zhejiang Dahua Technology
- Providing day-to-day advice to Microsoft. The firm continuously advises the client on enforcing their IP rights in their commercial chain and in relation to IP license agreements with their commercial partners.
- Advising Magyar Telekom on the acquisition and use of a wide range of copyright and neighbouring right protected contents.
- Assisting Partner in Pet Food with the expansion of their trademark portfolio in various countries beyond the EU. The firm also recently advised PPF in various brand usage issues in order to exclude that any branding disputes arise with competitors.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is an ‘expert, established firm‘ and a good choice for the registration, maintenance, prosecution and enforcement of trade marks. Domain name registrations, copyright and patents are also key areas of strength. Zsófia Lendvai is a top Hungarian and EU IP law specialist, leading on all the firm’s major IP disputes and transactional matters. Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi focuses on transactional IP, such as licensing and parallel trade, as well as IP issues overlapping with competition law, such as parallel imports, free movement of goods and passing-off.
Zsófia Lendvai; Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi
‘Expert, established team.’
‘Zsofia Lendvai’s knowledge of copyright law issues is excellent, Zsofia’s advice is very practical and responsive to the specific question we ask. Zsofia’s support in managing novel copyright problems is exceptional.’
BAT – British American Tobacco
Swiss Post (Die Schweizerische Post AG)
Saber Interactive Inc (US)
- Represented EGIS Pharmaceuticals in a trade mark dispute against HGA Biomed. The dispute involved two similar marks, one for Egis’ pharmaceutical and the other for HGA Biomed’s hand sanitizers. The firm successfully secured a preliminary injunction against HGA Biomed and convinced the court that the marks were confusingly similar despite the different uses of the underlying products to which each mark applied.
- Advising British American Tobacco on multiple matters in connection with its trade mark portfolio.
- Advised Swiss Post on its acquisition of a majority stake in Tresorit, a cloud services provider that offers end-to-end-encrypted cloud services for individuals and companies.The Hungarian target company’s IP rights, such as its software license agreements, IP-related documents supplementing its employment contracts, as well as patents, trade marks and domains.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners provides ‘top-quality service’ to clients on matters concerning trade marks, copyright, domains, designs and patents. Utilising its corporate and commercial expertise, the group regularly advises on licensing and technology transfer agreements, data protection and IP due diligence of cross-border transactions. On the contentious side, its represents Hungarian and multinational clients in infringement and enforcement proceedings. Iván Sólyom is also recommended, as is senior associate Péter Szaniszlai.
Other key lawyers:
‘LKT is a professionally highly committed full-service law firm. Their one-stop-shop system offers comfort and top-quality service, flawless technical support and outstanding reactivity. The team provides valuable and personalised support throughout our projects. We are extremely pleased and would highly recommend them.’
‘Iván Sólyom grasped all the relevant issues without difficulty and he was able to quickly gain our trust. We would 100% recommend him to others.’
Mid-Europa and Waberer’s International Nyrt.
Philip Morris international (PMI)
Nomad Foods Ltd.
Foundation for the Protection of the Traditional Cheese of Cyprus named Halloumi
- Advised Vodafone on the acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in Hungary as part of a global deal. Reviewed all program provision agreements concluded by Liberty Global’s Hungarian subsidiary.
- Advising LG electronics, which has manufacturing operations in Hungary, on private copy levies.
- Acted for the Foundation for the Protection of the Traditional Cheese of Cyprus, Halloumi, in trade mark enforcement and infringement.
Dentons‘ Budapest team assists clients with the exploitation and enforcement of copyright, trade marks and designs, as well as commercial and regulatory matters, including IP transfers, data protection and data privacy. István Réczicza is the main partner for IP work. In addition, he is also recommended for assistance with drafting film licence agreements, as well as software development and license contracts. Counsel Tímea Bana and senior associate Tibor Kancsár are other members of the practice.
Other key lawyers:
Tímea Bana; Tibor Kancsár
- Advising Vodafone on a wide variety of legal topics, including assistance in the implementation of the European Electronic Communications Code, data protection advice, regulatory advice regarding mobile payment compliance and competition advice.
- Advising the Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia, the international television content production and distribution subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group (Europe’s largest TV, radio and production company), on IP matters including program production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters, as well as on GDPR compliance.
- Advising EPAM Systems on its partnership agreements in connection with an EU sponsored smart town and mobility IT development project taking place in Hungary, as well as on GDPR compliance.
DLA Piper‘s practice is led by Mónika Horváth, who is ‘a source of confidence and efficiency in complex, fast-paced transactions’. The department is best known for its work in the film production sphere, with Horváth being noted as one of Hungary’s top film sector specialists; she specialises in IP-focused film production transactions and brand protection work, including trade marks infringement litigation. Zoltán Kozma, who made partner in 2021, heads up the TMT practice and is the main figure for data protection advice and litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have a perfect cooperation with DLA, no question about it.’
‘All the colleagues we have worked with at DLA are very competent, work fast and do a thorough job. Monika Horvath and her very skilled colleagues have given detailed answers on even quite unusual questions.’
‘Fast, actionable, comprehensive counsel on a wide variety of issues relating to the production of media projects.’
‘Monika Horvath and her team consistently provide valuable counsel and work product to our Hungary-based productions. In particular, Monika is a source of confidence and efficiency in complex, fast-paced transactions.’
Pioneer Stillking Birds Kft / Amazon Content Services LLC
Unipie APP Kft.
Bernard Matthews Foods Limited
Harris Squared Kft
1440 Productions UK Ltd.
CP Film Productions Ltd.
Hi Hat Films Kft
Borderlands Productions, LLC. US
Maroon Films Kft
Massive Talent Productions, Inc. US
Gold Films Kft
- Acted as Hungarian legal counsel to the Hungarian co-producer, Harris Squared Kft, in respect of “Mrs Harris goes to Paris” is a UK-Hungarian co-production by UK-based ADA Films, and the client. Assisted with the structuring and financing of the project.
- Advising Pioneer Stillking Birds Kft, on copyright clearance for various artworks and other copyright protected materials (e.g. performance, choreography, dress plans, etc) used for filming the Hungarian scenes of the picture provisionally entitled “Birds of Paradise”, and produced by Amazon.
- Advising Ty, Spin Master in connection with infringement of registered community design of toy products available legal remedies in Hungary. Representing the client against infringing companies in Hungary.