Danubia Legal is a highly reputable firm for patent, trade mark infringement and opposition, copyright and unfair competition matters. Its team is distinguished for its specialist knowledge and experience of patents involving pharmaceuticals, chemicals and biotechnology, as well as plant and animal varieties. Other areas of activity include technology, software and mechanics. It also handles cases relating to designs and utility models. Key figures in the group include Judit Lantos, trade mark specialist Zsófia Klauber, József Tálas and Eszter Szakács.
Intellectual property in Hungary
Other key lawyers:
Zsófia Klauber; József Tálas; Eszter Szakács
Clients praise Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda‘s IP practice for offering ‘good value for money’ and the ‘very approachable’ team, which is co-led by Ivan Bartal and Áron László. The group’s areas of expertise include trade mark litigation, portfolio management, commercial IP transactions and data protection. It is also knowledgeable about IP issues that interface with emerging sectors of TMT, such as smart cities, car2car communication and blockchain.
Ivan Bartal; Aron Laszlo
‘quick, practicable, business-minded, smart, good value for money. ’
‘Very approachable, ready to do the extra mile for you, reliable’
‘Ever since moving our IP protection to the Oppenheim team, we have a 100% success rate, including in such high profile cases as the recent award of an injunction against our key competitor.’
Wizz Air Hungary Kft.
Hell Energy Magyarorszag Kft.
Vodafone Shared Services
- Representing Gömböc in the registration of the shape of the Gömböc, a mathematical invention. The case has been heard by the European Court of Justice and will now go before the Hungarian Supreme Court.
- Acted for QX World in opposition against competitor’s trade mark application, trade mark application refused in two instances before EUIPO.
- Advised listed company 4iG, one of Hungary’s leading IT and telecommunications technology providers, exclusively on all IP/IT and data protection related aspects of the planned acquisition of T-Systems Hungary from Magyar Telekom Nyrt. belonging to the Deutsche Telekom Group.
SBGK has the pre-eminent practice for the defence and enforcement of IP rights, and it has a strong track record in IP litigation before Hungarian, European and international authorities and courts. The firm is particularly known for its strength in trade mark and patent infringement, invalidity and opposition matters. Clients include leading pharmaceutical companies, manufacturers, artists and consumer brands. Edit Földvár joined from the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office, where she has over 30 years of experience leading in biotechnology and biochemistry patent litigation. Katalin Szamosi and Péter Lukácsi are the lead figures for transactional and contentious patent, trade mark, industrial design and copyright-related matters. Gabriella Sasvári is knowledgeable about IP portfolio management, trade mark-related contracts and unfair competition. Eniko Karsay and senior associate Ádám György are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Edit Földvár; Péter Lukácsi; Gabriella Sasvári; Eniko Karsay; Ádám György
Exeltis Magyarország Kft.
Ferrero Magyarország Kft.
Hungarian Fashion and Design Agency
Ikarus Egyedi Autóbuszgyár Kft.
Ikarus Wealth Management Kft.
Media Markt Saturn Holding GmbH (MMSH)
MEDICOR Elektronika Zrt.
Now Exeliqbus Kft.
Rubik’s Brand Limited
Valor Hungariae Zrt.
Zsolnay Porcelánmanufaktúra Zrt.
- Representing the Rubik’s Brand Ltd. related to a 3-dimensional trademark case before the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Representing Exeltis Magyarország in a case referred to the Court of Justice of the European Union in relation to the interpretation of Article 9 (7) of the Enforcement Directive. The case is significant in determining compensation claims resulting from unjustified preliminary injunction, based on prior alleged patent infringement.
- Assisting Valor Hungariae Zrt, a state-owned company acting for Hungarian inventors on the domestic and international market, with R&D contracts, relevant IP advisory, international IP portfolio management, and in drafting, reviewing and enforcing research and commercial contracts.
At Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda, Bálint Halász is the main contact in the Budapest office. He specialises in the protection and enforcement of patents, trade marks, designs, copyright and unfair competition claims, as well as portfolio management. Data protection and commercial IP are other drivers of work. Senior associate Bettina Kövecses, who leads the consumer and retail group, advises on trade mark and design prosecution and enforcement. She is also recommended for branding, licensing, know-how and trade secrets protection, including strategic or investment transfer of IP rights.
Other key lawyers:
Szecskay Attorneys at Law's 'experienced and dynamic team' is skilled in the prosecution and defence of trade mark, patent and copyright infringement. It's non-contentious offering is also strong, with the group advising clients on trade mark registrations, portfolios and commercial advice relating to copyright, licensing and IP issues in software and telecoms. Gábor Faludi is highlighted for his experience in industrial property and copyright law, and he regularly acts for artists, designers and international brands. Gusztáv Bacher is an 'outstanding expert' in patent litigation before HIPO and EUIPO, and advising on R&D collaboration agreements and licensing. András Szecskay handles patent and trade mark litigation, while associates Gábor Faludi Jr and Dávid Kerpel focus on advertising law and portfolio management.
Other key lawyers:
Gábor Faludi; András Szecskay; Gábor Faludi Jr; Dávid Kerpel
‘Very experienced, dynamic team, modest in communication. They have a good understanding of client’
‘Mr. Bacher is an outstanding expert in the field of IP, with valuable experience in litigation. Assertive communication is characteristic and he has a special sense of balancing between client needs and realistically achievable result.’
Ceva Santé Animale
Richter Gedeon Nyrt,
Chapter 4 Corp.
Zwack Unicum Nyrt.
- Representing the Hungarian subsidiary of CEVA Santé Animale SA , a French company, against Bayer Animal Health, which considers CEVA’s new veterinary product as being an infringement of its European patent No. 2 164 496.
- Representing Richter Gedeon Nyrt., as defendant, against Bayer’s claim for patent infringement for marketing the contraceptives Symicia and Volina, which contain drospirenon (a contraceptive), and in claiming compensation from Bayer for losses arising from the unfounded preliminary injunction ordered by the court due to an alleged infringement.
- Advise Zwack on trade mark matters (prosecution, opposition, infringement) both in Hungary and abroad (as well as at the European Union Intellectual Property Office (Alicante).), and on the terms of distribution/licence agreements.
At CMS' Budapest office, Dóra Petrányi is the go-to figure for TMT and pharmaceutical companies for advice on patent enforcement and prosecution. She also regularly represents manufacturers, online retailers and consumer goods brands in domain name matters. The practice is also experienced in soft IP, particularly in the sectors of software, media and entertainment copyright. Senior associate Ágnes Sólyom is recommended for transactional IP.
Other key lawyers:
Magyar Telekom (Deutsche Telekom subsidiary)
Partner in Pet Food (Pamplona Capital Management)
RTL Group (Bertelsmann Group subsidiary)
Cirque du Soleil
- Advising Microsoft on enforcing its IP rights in its commercial chain as well as on IP license agreements with its commercial partners.
- Representing Partner in Pet Food (Chiven) in two European trade mark opposition cases and a cancellation case. In addition, the firm assists the client with the negotiation of a co-existence agreements with both opposing companies.
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Partner Baker & McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law is noted for its activity in soft IP, often assisting Hungarian and international companies with the management of Hungarian IP portfolios, copyright, domain name infringements and anti-counterfeit action, supported by global platforms such as GIPM (Global IP Manager) and MAPS (Managed Anti-Piracy Solutions). Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Zsófia Lendvai are experienced in trade mark infringement and opposition matters.
Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi; Zsófia Lendvai
Alere Group (Abbott)
Tokaj WineRegion Development Council
National Council of Pálinka
Te Döntesz Kft
- Assisting multinational brands such as General Motors, Alere Group (Abbott), Mango and Ferrer with trademark portfolio management in Hungary.
- Successfully advised National Council of Pálinka on trade mark cancellation proceedings in Japan and had the trademark cancelled before the Japanese trademark office.Palinka is a registered geographical indication in the EU but due to a bad faith trademark application in Japan, it was not possible to include it as a protected geographical indication into the EU-Japanese Free Trade Agreement.
- Advised Hungarian writer and influencer, Fanni Hozleiter on a pro bono basis on trade mark and copyright issues arising from a film that is planned to be made about her life.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners fields an 'excellent team with great practice in intellectual property', which handles the full scope of transactional, brand protection and contentious IP matters. The practice is complemented by the firm's expertise in data protection, TMT and competition law. Iván Sólyom is the key figure.
‘Excellent team with great practice in intellectual property. ’
‘Top legal experts with excellent professional references.’
Mid-Europa and Waberer’s International Nyrt. (“Waberer’s)
Philip Morris international (PMI)
Foundation for the Protection of the Traditional Cheese of Cyprus named Halloumi
Szentkirályi Kékkúti Ásványvíz, subsidiary of Karlovarské minerální vody
- Advised Vodafone on the acquisition of Liberty Global’s operations in Hungary as part of a global deal.
- Advising Philip Morris international on trade mark and brand integrity protection (civil and criminal actions against counterfeiting and contrabanding).
- Acting for the Foundation for the Protection of the Traditional Cheese of Cyprus (‘Halloumi’) in enforcing rights against trade mark infringement in the context of a collective trade mark registered for Cypriot cheese product manufacturer.
Dentons' 'high-end team' has a solid reputation for soft IP, particularly in relation to trade marks and copyright. On the transactional side, the team utilises its global network to handle cross-border licensing and IP transfers mandates, as well as coordinating IP litigation and GDPR-related matters. Practice head István Réczicza is assisted by counsel Tímea Bana on industrial property law, and he is also experienced in drafting film license agreements as well as software development contracts.
Other key lawyers:
‘High-end team with great practice in intellectual property. ’
‘Top legal and regulatory experts with excellent professional relationships and valuable network.’
- Advising a leading media network on project negotiations connected to the launch of its over the top (OTT) media distribution service (branded HBO GO) in Hungary and other 11 countries in Europe.
- Represented an international self-driving vehicle technology developer before the Hungarian National Authority for Data Protection and Freedom of Information (NAIH) for data protection and regulatory issues.
- Advising UFA Hungary, a Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia, the international television content production and distribution subsidiary of Bertelsmann’s RTL Group, on IP and data protection matters including program production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters.
DLA Piper is noted for its involvement in IP matters that are connected with the media, film and entertainment sectors. It recently advised a multinational producer on the copyright clearance and acquisition of film rights of a famous Hungarian novel. Transactional IP, franchising, trade marks and branding are other core areas of activity. Mónika Horváth heads up the practice.
‘We were touched by the exceptional professionalism of DLA members not only in intellectual property matters but also in representing the foundation on all kind of legal matters. We have always got precise and useful answers to our questions from DLA people, even when the subject was quite estranged from the normal “range of legal matters” normally dealt with by DLA.’
‘We were lucky to find DLA Piper and are grateful that we could build and maintain a very good partnership with them.’
Zero Point Zero Productions Inc
Pioneer Stillking Birds Kft / Amazon Content Services LLC
Csodalámpa Alapítvány (Make a Wish Foundation)
Unipie APP Kft.
Bernard Matthews Foods Limited
Universal Television Emerald Productions LLC (NBCUniversal Television Company) and Pioneer Stillking Treadstone Kft (Pioneer Stillking Films company)
Hocus Pocus Productions Ltd (Netflix company) and Pioneer Stillking Claw Kft. (Pioneer Stillking Films company)
British International School Limited/Nord Anglia Education
- Advised Csodalámpa Alapítvány (Make a Wish Foundation) on development of the “Project Magic”, a scheme using magicians, therapists and other health practitioners teaching magic tricks to rehabilitate sick people and develop their skills, coordination, visual senses and cognitive capabilities based on a book by Mr. David Copperfield. Assisted in acquiring the license from Mr Copperfield to use his book for the project and drafted the cooperation agreement with all participants to assist in realizing the project under the lead of Magic Lamp Foundation.
- Advising Bernard Matthews/Boparan Group on the sale of SáGa, a leading Hungarian poultry producer, to the Hungarian Master Goods Group.
- Advising Universal Television Emerald Productions LLC US producer (an NBCUniversal Television Company) and Pioneer Stillking Treadstone Kft, as Hungarian legal counsel, on the production of a television series currently entitled “Treadstone”.