Operating as part of a global network, Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Fehérváry Baker&McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law fields a highly regarded cross-border IP practice specialising in registration, maintenance, prosecution and enforcement of trade marks. The firm is also a trusted advisor on patent and copyright issues. Clients benefit from the deep integration of the firm’s different departments, particularly for complex transactions with multidisciplinary aspects. The firm has recently implemented key proprietary technologies to assist clients with trade mark prosecution and anti-counterfeit matters. Zoltán Hegymegi-Barakonyi heads up the practice with a focus on transactional IP as well as intersectional IP and competition issues, such as parallel imports and free movement of goods. Mihaly Budai is noted at the associate level.
Intellectual property in Hungary
Hegymegi-Barakonyi and Fehérváry Baker&McKenzie Attorneys-at-Law
Other key lawyers:
AVON Products, Inc.
British American Tobacco (BAT)
Federal Express Corporation
General Electric Company
Perry Ellis International, Inc.
SHELL Brands International AG
The Body Shop International Limited
Australian Wool Innovation Limited
Consejo Regulador del Cava
Magyar Suzuki Zrt.
- Successfully acted for Consejo Regulador del Cava in opposing the unauthorised filing of a Hungarian trademark for the word CAVA.
- Assisted Borsóház with the registration of its composite Hungarian trade mark.
The ‘highly skilled’ IP team at Oppenheim Ugyvedi Iroda advises international corporate clients across a wide range of industries, and is noted for its ‘tailor-fitted practical advice’. The team handles all aspects of IP work from portfolio management, trade marks, designs patents and copyright, to IP prosecution. 'Quick and bright' department head Ivan Bartal specialises in data protection, copyright, and IP issues arising from M&A transactions. Áron László leads on trade marks and designs, while seasoned litigators Andras Cserny and Barnabas Mezo take charge of tech-related matters and IP prosecution, respectively. The team is bolstered by a strong bench of associates.
Other key lawyers:
Áron László; Andras Cserny; Barnabas Mezo; Zsofia Kiss; Kristof Ormos; Dora Bernadett Kiss; Dora Geyer-Hirt
‘The team is very fast and skilled and provides tailor-fitted practical advice.’
‘They always respond in due time and have a business-minded approach. They understand the business we are in, and are capable of providing advice that helps us achieve our business objectives. If it comes at a risk, they make a point in highlighting its and giving us a risk-averse and a risk-taker solution.’
‘We work with Ivan Bartal, whom we have known for a long time to be a reliable expert in copyright and information technology matters. He is quick and bright.’
‘The team members are highly skilled.’
Vodafone Shared Services
SBGK’s long established IP practice is regularly trusted by a host of notable corporate clients and iconic global brands. The team is active across the full gamut of IP issues, from portfolio management, design and copyright on the non-contentious side, to trade mark and patent disputes, infringement and invalidity cases on the contentious side. Managing partner Katalin Szamosi leads the team with an unmatched 40 years’ experience across the breadth of IP law. Experienced litigator Peter Lukacsi specialises in licensing and commercial arrangements, while Gabriella Sasvári focuses on trade marks and portfolio management. Adam Gyorgy is also a key name, specialising in industrial designs and trade marks.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Lukacsi; Gabriella Sasvári; Adam Gyorgy
Aeron Zártkörűen Működő Részvénytársaság
Flowil International Lighting (Holding) BV
László Farkas, inventor and Dolina Ltd. patentee
LEGO Juris A/S
Madison Rand Promotions SRL
Nanushka International Zrt.
Red Bull GmbH
Škoda JS a.s
Spin Master Toys UK Limited
Sunnei SRL / SNJ Holding Zrt.
Virtuosos Holding Ltd.
Zsolnay Porcelánmanufaktúra Zrt.
- Provided portfolio management services to Sunnei.
- Provided portfolio management services to Nanushka International.
- Provided portfolio management, filing and advisory services to Flowil International Lightning.
Siegler Bird & Bird Ügyvédi Iroda’s IP team is a large-scale operation covering a wide range of relevant work. The team’s trade mark capabilities range from exploitation and enforcement to cross-border investigations and disputes. On the patent side, the team advises on compulsory licensing, trade secrets, patent infringement, and preliminary injunctions. The team is particularly experienced providing industrial property rights and trade mark advice to pharmaceutical clients. The growing IP team recently welcomed pharmaceutical expert Miklós Tar, and sports specialist Bálint Karácsony, both of whom joined from in-house positions. Department head Bálint Halász has extensive experience regarding patents, trade marks, designs, copyright, unfair competition and customs measures. Recently promoted counsel Bettina Kövecses focuses on cross-border patent litigation cases involving pharmaceuticals and medical devices. Ádám Simon is also noted at the associate level.
Other key lawyers:
Bettina Kövecses; Ádám Simon; Miklós Tar; Bálint Karácsony
‘They are really proactive and have a deep knowledge of the field. You really feel ‘safe’ in their hands. Plus, they are also really trustworthy which is vital when working together.’
‘It is always a pleasure to work with them, we have a lot of trust in their work because of its extremely high quality. A truly international firm, we have prompt and direct access to their multi-jurisdictional capacities. The whole team works as a well-oiled machine. Their lawyers are very business oriented and translate complex legal matters into simple terms that always helps us to make the best decisions.’
‘Their lawyers are very proactive and hard-working. Thanks to their deep industry and technical knowledge, they are able to identify issues that other lawyers do not immediately flag.’
‘They perfectly understand our business needs and are able to provide very precise and creative legal solutions in a very tight timeframe.’
‘The IP team is highly professional.’
‘Bálint Halász and Bettina Kövecses are a formidable team with fantastic experience of defending companies in patent infringement actions. They provide sensible and succinct advice and are familiar with the details as you would expect from technical lawyers.’
Budapest 2023 Non-Profit Private Company Limited by shares
- Advising Budapest 2023 Non-Profit Private Company on its rights protection strategy for the World Athletics Championships.
- Representing Demko-UK in a cross-border trade mark case, namely setting up a strategy for defending its brand name.
- Advising Supercharge on various IP matters, such as setting up inter-company licensing structures, protecting key brands, and strategic advisory services for the creation of an international trade mark portfolio in the EU and the US.
Boutique firm Szecskay Attorneys at Law is recognised as a trusted adviser across the full spectrum of IP law, from trade mark filings and prosecutions to patent and copyright infringement cases. The team has specific copyright protection experience in the literary, musical, commercial and software spaces, as well as having extensive litigation experience before Hungarian and European bodies. Department head Gusztáv Bacher has considerable experience in enforcement proceedings, domain dispute resolutions, and is a regular adviser on IP strategy, portfolio management and preparation for audits related to M&A transactions. András Szecskay focuses on high-value IP-related litigation in the pharmaceutical, banking, energy and telecoms sectors. IP expert Gábor Faludi is also an invaluable asset to the firm. Gábor Faludi Junior is noted at the associate level.
Other key lawyers:
András Szecskay; Gábor Faludi; Gábor Faludi Junior
‘Szecskay Attorneys at Law is a highly professional team. Their work is of the best quality, they are reliable and pay attention to every detail.’
‘András Szecskay is one of the most valued attorneys in the country.’
British American Tobacco
Ceva Santé Animale
Egis Pharmaceuticals PLC
Chapter 4 Corp (Supreme)
Zwack Unicum Rt.
Budapest Festival Orchestra (listed among the 10 best orchestras in the world)
CRU Hungary Kft.
MAN Truck and Bus SE
MGI International Sales Co. Limited (Hong Kong) and Latvia MGI Tech SIA (Latvia): members of the Chinese BGI Companies
ART1ST DESIGN STUDIO LLC
Goodwill Pharma Kft.
- Advised Gedeon Richter following the Hungarian Intellectual Property Office’s decision to grant it a compulsory licence for manufacturing remdesivir, a medication to cure Covid, and representing the client in its related litigation with the patentholder, Gilead Sciences.
- Represented EGIS in litigation against a former inventor employee seeking remuneration based on the market position and profit achieved by EGIS due to the use of the its patented service invention.
- Advising Art1st Design Studio, a design firm which is carrying out the complete reconstruction of the Citadella building in Budapest.
Noted for providing ‘concise and informative legal guidance and business-minded solutions’, CMS fields an IP department with cross-border reach across Central and Eastern Europe, catering to notable global corporations. The firm’s copyrights practice specialises in software and motion pictures, while the trade mark and property rights arm focuses on the pharmaceutical, technology, media and entertainment industries. The team also enjoys recurring mandates in cross-border trade mark portfolio management. The ‘very creative‘ Dóra Petrányi leads the department with sector-specific experience in life sciences and technology, while Ágnes Sólyom is noted for her ability to ‘see through complicated cases‘. Senior associates Eszter Csapó and Miklós Boros are noted for copyright, trade mark and content sourcing work. Katalin Horváth and Gábor Bertók are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Ágnes Sólyom; Eszter Csapó; Miklós Boros; Katalin Horváth; Gábor Bertók
‘What distinguishes CMS from other firms in this area is that they have a great reach: they have invaluable access to knowledge of the CEE markets and regulators, both locally and regionally and that they know our sector inside-out.’
‘Working with CMS’ IP team is always a pleasure, not only because they are experienced legal professionals but also because they are dedicated, very knowledgeable and client-centric. As a one-stop shop for IP, they provide concise and informative legal guidance and business-minded solutions.’
‘Dóra Petrányi is a very creative lawyer and highly intelligent. Her strategic thinking moves all matters forward.’
Magyar Telekom (Deutsche Telekom subsidiary)
Partner in Pet Food (Pamplona Capital Management)
EGIS (Servier Group)
RTL Group (Bertelsmann Group subsidiary)
Terre de Hommes
- Advising Microsoft on IP rights enforcement and license agreements with its commercial partners and customers.
- Assisting UNICEF with its projects in Hungary, most recently the negotiation of a periodical children’s book publication, including discussion of the various copyrights of the illustrators, writers and publishing companies.
- Advising software developer ChemAxon on the management of its software licensing agreements, involving a review of multiple small-to-high-risk contracts and advice on cloud software solutions.
Dentons is adept at handling all aspects of IP law, from enforcement and infringement of copyright, trade marks and designs, to data protection and privacy issues, including GDPR. The firm caters to a diverse clientele of multinational corporations, iconic global brands and domestic SMEs. The team has extensive cross-border litigation experience, regularly representing clients before the European Commission and European Court of Justice. Recently promoted to partner, Tímea Bana heads up the team, with sector-specific expertise in the telecoms, media and IT spaces. Senior associates Tibor Kancsár and András Peisch are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Tibor Kancsár; András Peisch
‘This firm is really great in terms of IP law. With them the cooperation is very smooth. They are always available and can adapt to prompt client needs. In terms of billing and technology, they are always following the new waves and are up to date.’
‘Tímea Bana is reliable, prompt if it’s necessary and provides a high level service in the field of IP law.’
Vodafone Magyarország Zrt.
UFA Hungary Kft.
- Acts as regular legal advisor to Vodafone in Hungary, notably on the implementation of the European Electronic Communications Code, data protection advice, regulatory advice regarding mobile payment compliance and competition advice.
- Advises the Hungarian affiliate of FremantleMedia, UFA Hungary Kft. on IP matters including program production, commercial issues, copyright licensing and data privacy matters.
- Advises the Hungarian subsidiary of EPAM Systems, a global provider of software engineering and IT consulting services on its partnership agreements in connection with an EU sponsored smart town and mobility IT development project taking place in Hungary.
DLA Piper Posztl, Nemescsói, Györfi-Tóth and Partners Law Firm fields a multidisciplinary, integrated IP team which draws on the firm's expertise in other practice areas to handle complex client needs across a wide range of IP issues. The firm is recognised for its work in the entertainment space; Netflix is a particularly notable client in this space, and the group is instructed to handle a wide range of IP-related work for its operations in Hungary. Mónika Horváth leads the department with extensive experience handling complex cross-border transactions, paritcularly regarding film production, brand protection and trade mark infringement litigation. Recently promoted partner Zoltán Kozma is a key contact in the areas of data protection and litigation. Mariann Rajnai and Eszter Viktória Varga are noted at the associate level.
Mónika Horváth; Zoltán Kozma
Other key lawyers:
Mariann Rajnai; Eszter Viktória Varga
‘All members of the firm are very professional and thorough in finding the best solution for our problems.’
‘Mónika Horváth is an excellent lawyer to work with.’
Magyar Turisztikai Szövetség Alapítvány
Rolls Royce Hungary
Magyar Turisztikai Szövetség
Hungarian Franchise Association
Hero Squared Kft.
Netflix Worldwide Entertainment, LLC and Pioneer Stillking Light Kft
Universal Television Emerald Production, an NBCUniversal company and Pioneer Stillking INTL
Spin Master Limited
- Advised HTA on issues pertaining to the 2020 and 2021 MTV Music Awards, which were held in Hungary.
- Provides day-to-day IP advice to Rolls-Royce in connection with its research and development operations, focusing specifically on patent, copyright and trade secrets.
- Instructed as Hungarian counsel for Netflix, handling all Hungarian production contracts, cast and crew contracts, rental agreements, and coordination with the National and Regional Natural History Museums for filming purposes.
Lakatos, Köves and Partners specialises in brand protection, IP dispute resolution, trade mark filings and renewals, and due diligence in the context of IP acquisitions. The firm sports a growing client base in the tech space. Corporate expert Iván Sólyom leads the team with a focus on data protection. Alekszej Dubalár is noted for his IP work related to mergers and acquisitions, and his sector-specific experience in the utilities and energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very diligent and responsive to client queries and the quality of service is high.’
‘LKP is a team experienced in sophisticated and complex cross-border work.’
‘Very approachable and communicative.’
Philip Morris international (PMI)
Foundation for the Protection of the Traditional Cheese of Cyprus named Halloumi
Szentkirályi Kékkúti Ásványvíz, subsidiary of Karlovarské minerální vody (Mattoni Group)
- Advised Nomad Food on its acquisition of the Ledo frozen food business, as part of Nomad’s wider acquisition of the Croatian Fortenova Group’s frozen food business.
- Providing ongoing advice to Philip Morris International on trade mark and brand integrity, including civil and criminal actions against counterfeiting and contrabanding.
Schoenherr Hetényi Ügyvédi Iroda has recently been placing more emphasis on its IP practice, gaining traction with international corporates and domestic SMEs. The team regularly advises on legal disputes related to trade marks, designs, patents, domain names, copyright and the related prosecution and litigation matters, as well as IP licensing. Márk Kovács leads the department with wide ranging IP experience overlapping with his competition capabilities. IP specialist Bálint Szabó is active across the media, music, technology and retail sectors.
Other key lawyers:
Wolters Kluwer Hungary Kft.
S. Spitz GmbH
OMV Downstream GmbH
HARIBO Holding GmbH & Co. KG
Globalization Partners Hungary Kft
- Successfully represented songwriter Henri Bratter in a copyright infringement lawsuit in Hungary.
János Tóth leads the multijurisdictional IP team at WOLF THEISS FALUDI ÜGYVÉDI IRODA with extensive experience in trade marks, patents, copyrights, unfair competition and IP litigation, as well as the protection of trade secrets. The firm’s advisory practice focuses on IP strategy, including dealing with related aspects of domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, and assisting with transfer and licensing agreements. Norbert Bálint and Peter Ihasz are also key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Norbert Bálint; Péter Ihász
‘The people of the law firm are very, very experienced and skilled, they have the highest level of expertise but they are able to combine this with practical advice, which makes the advice very valuable for clients.’
‘They are quick and to the point and make use of their “internal” law firm network to find the right point of contact for the client’s request. The very broad set up of the law firm allows this to the largest extent.’
‘Péter Ihász has huge expertise and industry knowledge, hence he fits perfectly to us as a client. He responds always promptly, to the point and gives valuable advice. Other than that he is one of the most pleasant lawyers I have worked with, may it be in person, on the phone or in written correspondence.’
Omni Creator Products Corporation
Courage Music Partners II, L.P.
Clayton, Dubilier & Rice Inc.
Guccio Gucci S.p.A.
- Advising Omni Creator Products Corporation on the launch of development activities in Hungary.
- Advising Continental on the compliance of its marketing videos with Hungarian copyright law.
- Advising AT&T on securing IP rights in insolvency proceedings in Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia.