Construction in Hong Kong
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' construction practice is 'led by very experienced partners, with a capacity for managing multiple disputes of significant size to a very high standard'. On the non-contentious side, the team is instructed on contractual matters, project financing, and tender submissions. Paul Starr heads the group, which include project specialist Sam Farrands and disputes expert Donovan Ferguson.
‘King & Wood Mallesons’ team is very experienced, commercial and dedicated‘.
‘Paul Starr has an excellent strategic approach‘.
‘Donovan Ferguson is very commercial and understands clients’ needs‘.
Ningxia Tianyuan Logistics Group
Dragages Hong Kong
Hong Kong Competition Commission
China Machine New Energy Corporation (CNMC)
- Advising Ningxia Tianyuan Logistics Group on negotiations with the Ministry of Railway Development in Ghana regarding a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) agreement for developing Ghana’s Western rail line.
- Assisting Bouygues Batiment and Dragages Hong Kong with a HK32bn tender submission for the development and operation of an integrated sports precinct in Kai Tak.
- Representing the Hong Kong Competition Commission in an action brought in the Competition Tribunal against a number of decoration contractors involved in a public housing project, concerning alleged anti-competitive conduct.
The 'very strong' construction team at Pinsent Masons is very experienced in handling high-value, high-profile infrastructure projects. Recent work includes contractual issues, development matters, and contentious matters, including arbitration. Vincent Connor and Dean Lewis share leadership of the practice, which includes disputes expert Alvin Ho, legal director Tim Hallworth, construction expert Peter Clayton, and Nicholas Turner, who has expertise in assisting clients with procurement matters.
‘Dean Lewis has a wealth of experience, legal acumen, and the ability to find creative solutions’.
‘Alvin Ho couples excellent technical ability with strategic thinking, and provides timely and sound advice‘.
‘Nicholas Turner is an effective communicator, and understands the construction industry‘.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (HK) LLP
Noted for its 'deep sector experience', Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner (HK) LLP's construction practice handles a range of contentious and non-contentious infrastructure mandates. The team is jointly led by Ilan Freiman – who is very experienced in handling public infrastructure projects and urban developments – and Glenn Haley, who is very well known for his expertise in dispute resolution regarding construction projects. Senior associate Mike Docherty and counsel Patrick Daley are also names to note.
‘The team is always accessible and provides clear and concise advice‘.
‘Ilan Friedman and Glenn Haley both have deep sector knowledge, and provide a very client-friendly service‘.
Clyde & Co LLP
Gilbert Kwok leads the construction team at Clyde & Co LLP. The group handles contentious and non-contentious infrastructure mandates for a wide range of clients, including contractors, developers, architects, investors and public bodies. Counsel Christopher Short and senior associate Vivian Wong are also recommended. In 2019 Ian Cocking and Dennis Wong left to set up construction firm Cocking & Co LLP.
‘Christopher Short stands out for his cool-headed, client-friendly approach‘.
The Bank of East Asia
Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL)
- Acting for the Bank of East Asia in a dispute with a cladding sub-contractor company regarding an alleged breach of its sub-contract due to defective work.
Hogan Lovells' 'proactive' team is 'well-versed in construction law and provides practical and helpful advice'. Practice head Timothy Hill is very experienced in advising across the whole life cycle of construction projects and is also adept at handling construction disputes. The ‘hardworking’ Damon So's civil engineering background is 'a definite asset to his clients'. The 'energetic' senior associate Joyce Leung is also singled out as a rising star.
Mayer Brown's construction team counts arbitration as a key strength and has also been busy handling mandates from the hospitality, leisure, public utilities and transport sectors. Geoffrey Chan leads the practice, in which Menachem Hasofer, Mei Ling Lew, Venna Cheng and counsel Felicia Lee are key contacts.
Wynn Resorts Macau
Hong Kong Housing Society
West Kowloon Cultural District Authority (WKCDA)
Airport Authority Hong Kong
- Representing MTR Corporation in an inquiry into alleged defective construction work at the Hung Hom station extension on the Sha Tin-Central link railway project.
- Assisting West Kowloon Cultural District Authority (WKCDA) with contractual matters and tender documents for the West Kowloon Cultural District development project.
- Acting for Wynn Resorts Macau in the post-completion phase of the Cotai resort development project.
Deacons' team handles construction project mandates for contractors, public entities and prominent developers, and is noted for its 'deep knowledge' regarding construction disputes. Kwok Kit Cheung leads the team, in which Joseph Chung and Justin Yuen are key contacts.
‘This team has very strong manpower resources who are experienced in construction disputes‘.
The 'very commercial' construction team at DLA Piper stands out for its 'hands-on and thorough approach to resolving disputes', and 'demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the industry' for a number of big-name clients. The 'effective and practical' May Ng co-leads the practice with Harris Chan and Kevin Chan. Senior associate Sandy Au and associate Queenie Chan are also names to note.
‘The team delivers tailored advice; it is efficient and results-oriented‘.
‘May Ng is exceptionally dedicated and extremely responsive – an outstanding lawyer‘.
‘Queenie Chan is dedicated and can be counted on to get the job done‘.
Hip Hing Overseas
Steven Yip and Malcolm Chin jointly lead the construction team at Minter Ellison, which 'provides practical solutions to clients'. The group has been advising developer and contractor clients on litigation, arbitration and complex construction projects.
The Government of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Housing Authority
Chun Wo Group
China Harbour Engineering Company
- Assisting China Harbour Engineering Company with an alleged bridge design infringement dispute arising out of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge project.
- Representing PYPUN-KD & Associates in the inquiry into alleged defective construction works at the Hung Hom station on the Sha Tin-Central railway link project.
- Acting for property developer Jarton in a dispute with its foundation contractor concerning a residential project based in the New Territories in Hong Kong.
HFW's team led by Martin Downey counts dispute resolution as a key strength within the construction practice, and frequently handles arbitration mandates for government authorities and public bodies. Construction insurance forms is another significant area of instruction for the team. Ben Bury , who is highly experienced in arbitration work, is also a key name.
Other key lawyers:
‘HFW go the extra mile for clients‘.
‘Ben Bury is an accomplished and impressive lawyer; he is responsive, friendly, personable and a delight to work with‘.
LC Lawyers LLP is noted for its capabilities in large-scale infrastructure projects, and is especially active in the public utilities, transport, and energy sectors. Lynia Lau is the key practitioner.
Norton Rose Fulbright has been especially active in contentious work, representing construction companies in contractual and shareholder disputes, among other areas. Arbitration is another core area of expertise for the team. Alfred Wu is the main practitioner to note.
Hang Lung Properties
Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings
- Representing Champ Prestige in an ongoing multimillion-dollar shareholder dispute regarding an investment in and development of a skyscraper in Miami.
- Defending Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings against a claim for a breach of contract regarding a sale and purchase of a commercial development.