Bernitsas Law is a one-stop shop for market-leading energy matters; it handles major conventional energy transactions while also advising on the full life cycle of major projects and compliance with the relevant regulatory and legislative requirements. In addition, the team is a go-to option for environmental law matters and is notably active in the renewable space, where it advises on wind, solar, hydroelectric and geothermal schemes. Department head Yannis Seiradakis advises on the structuring, development, financing and implementation of major projects and transactions, and is closely supported by Eleni Stazilova, a specialist in energy-related public procurement and PPP. The team also handles gas transportation and storage and supply of energy mandates, in addition to transmission and distribution network matters. In addition to renewables, it has specialist expertise in the hydrocarbon, oil and gas, electricity, water and mining sub-sectors.
Energy in Greece
Other key lawyers:
Eleni Stazilova; Panayotis Bernitsas
China Three Gorges
CNIC Corporation Limited
Hellenic Petroleum SA
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power
National Bank of Greece SA
RWE Supply & Trading
YHS STRYMON SA
- Advising Gastrade, the project company, on the development of the Alexandroupolis Independent Natural Gas System (INGS) project.
- Advising an international consortium on its participation in the tender conducted by the Hellenic Republic Assets Development Fund (HRADF) for the privatisation of DEPA Infrastructure.
- Advising an energy consortium on its participation in the tender conducted by the Hellenic Republic Assets Development Fund (HRADF) for the privatisation of DEPA Commercial.
Karatzas & Partners supports its clients at every stage of energy projects, from inception through to construction and subsequent operation, handling both project finance and development requirements. The team also handles the full array of day-to-day energy-related matters, including regulatory issues. A key differentiator for the group is its track record as the go-to option for pipeline transactions, with Alexandros Metallinos notably continuing to serve as local counsel on the Trans Adriatic Pipeline, a multibillion-euro project spanning from the Greek-Turkish border through to Southern Italy. Metallinos and Christina Faitakis, one of the pioneering names in Greece’s renewable energy market, jointly head the department and are supported by recently promoted partner Valia Apostolopoulou.
Christina Faitakis; Alexandros Metallinos
Other key lawyers:
National Bank of Greece SA
Allianz EM Loans S.C.S.
Cordiant VII Infrastructure & Real Assets Debt
Arcano Fund AC Advantage Credit Strategies
Lucid Trustee Services Limited
Lucid Agency Services Limited
- Advised National Bank of Greece SA and NBG Bank Malta Ltd, as the lenders, on the financing of two wind parks fully developed by a special purpose vehicle, Volterra Lykovouni SA, operated jointly by Volterra S.A. (a member of AVAX Group) and PPC Renewables S.A., with a total capacity of 53.7 MW constructed in Viotia.
- Advised a syndicate of funds on the financing of Sergiore Limited through a senior secured term loan facility agreement, granted for the purposes of the acquisition of the shares of Waydot Consultants Limited and its ultimate subsidiaries, established and operating in Greece, holding a portfolio of 68 solar assets.
- Advised DEPA S.A. in relation to a consultation on the amendment of the law regulating the unbundling of the natural gas distribution and the natural gas networks in Greece, and the corporate restructuring of DEPA SA and its respective separation into two different entities.
At Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm, senior partner and practice co-head Gus Papamichalopoulos is an expert in energy-related M&A, project finance, EPCs and regulatory affairs; he holds the distinction of serving as vice chairman of the Institute of Energy of South East Europe and is frequently involved in key projects in the region, supporting on construction, financing and operational matters. The department is also led by Elisabeth Eleftheriades, who provides privatisation, due diligence and project documentation expertise, and Ioanna Antonopoulou, a banking and project finance lawyer who specialises in the energy sector. The electricity, renewables, and oil and gas sectors are all key focuses for the group, which also supports its energy clients on the full spectrum of relevant corporate affairs. Senior associate Aristotelis Katranis is an up-and-coming name for natural resources and environmental law matters.
Gus Papamichalopoulos; Elisabeth Eleftheriades; Ioanna Antonopoulou
Other key lawyers:
Evi Dimitropoulou; Kimon Tsakiris; Aristotelis Katranis
ABO WIND A.G.
ADMIE S.A. (Hellenic Independent Electricity Transmission Operator)
ALPIQ ENERGY SE
ARIADNE INTERCONNECTION S.P.L.C.
AXPO TRADING A.G.
BLUE GRID GAS & POWER
Calfrac Well Services LTD
China Overseas Infrastructure Development and Investment Corporation
DESFA S.A. (Hellenic Independent Gas Transmission Operator Company)
Deutsche Erneuerbare Energie GmBH
EDF EN HELLAS
ENAGAS INTERNACIONAL S.L.U.
FREEPOINT COMMODITIES EUROPE LLP
ILIA ENERGY INC.
IREDL International Renewable Energy Development
MET HOLDING AG
Neptune Energy Group Holdings
NORTHLAND POWER INC
Seven Energy AG
State Grid Corporation of China
State Grid Europe Limited
- Represented Snam S.p.A., Fluxys and Enagas in their €525m acquisition of DESFA S.A.
- Selected as the exclusive legal adviser to the State Grid Corporation of China (SGCC), in its role as strategic investor, on matters arising from the implementation of the Independent Power Transmission Operator S.A. (IPTO)’s business plan.
- Advised ITA Group, as the sponsor of the infrastructure project, on the licensing and construction of a gas interconnector between Greece and the Republic of North Macedonia, which received a licence from the Greek Regulatory Authority for Energy (RAE).
Famed for its ‘deep knowledge of every aspect of the energy sector’, Lambadarios Law Firm has a considerable focus on contentious energy matters, including litigation, arbitration and administrative claims. The team also thrives in relation to oil and gas, electricity generation and renewable energy-related transactions, with its recent engagement on the privatisation of DEPA, a state-owned natural gas company, evidence of its prowess in the privatisation and deregulation field. Managing partner Constantinos Lambadarios and George Panopoulos led on the matter; they jointly front the practice alongside the ‘very experienced’ Yannis Kourniotis, who specialises in energy-related project finance, acting for both sponsors and lenders.
George Panopoulos; Yannis Kourniotis; Constantinos Lambadarios
‘Expertise in the local market within a demanding and changing energy sector. Legal opinions from business perspective. Attention to detail. Availability. On-time delivery.’
‘The team are professional and well educated. Yannis Kourniotis and George Panopoulos are well known in the local market.’
‘The team is highly experienced in energy and renewables financing and large infrastructure and concession projects, as well as acquisitions. Also, the team is highly efficient and can execute very complex and challenging transactions within very demanding tight deadlines. The team is in a position to negotiate effectively on behalf of its clients.’
‘Yiannis Kourniotis is a very experienced lawyer, and has acted on numerous transactions in the energy, infrastructure and concessions sectors.’
‘Lambadarios Law Firm is one of the oldest and most well-reputed law firms in Greece, covering almost all areas of law.’
‘The energy law expert with whom we have worked is George Panopoulos, a lawyer with an increasingly strong reputation in the market.’
‘Deep knowledge of every aspect of the energy sector, providing not only legal consultation but also consultation and support in private investment deals and collaborations.’
‘Managing partner Constantinos Lambadarios and George Panopoulos are highly qualified, skilled lawyers who provide excellent consultation and solutions in every field of the energy sector. They are the support that makes you feel confident, no matter what challenge you have to deal with.’
Public Power Corporation PPC
Glencore – Carlyle
National Bank of Greece
Black Sea Trade & Development Bank
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator
- Advising DEPA SA on its corporate transformation (demerger) valued at approximately €1bn, which will lead to the complete privatisation of the gas sector, including gas networks and the retail sale of gas in Greece.
- Advised DEPA S.A. on the sale of DEPA Infrastructure for €700m and DEPA Commercial for €400m, the largest privatisation in 2020.
- Advised Glencore, a global mining company, and Carlyle Group, a US private equity firm, on their €1.3bn bid for a 50.1% stake in state-owned company Hellenic Petroleum, the largest oil refiner and filling operator in Greece.
‘True experts in energy law and regulation’, the team at Metaxas & Associates Law Firm provides ‘thorough knowledge of the energy sector, in terms of both domestic and EU legislation’. On the projects front, the team advises on every stage, including development, project finance and construction. It is also extensively experienced in contentious affairs, providing representation before the Hellenic Competition Commission, the Regulatory Authority for Energy and the EU courts. Antonis Metaxas, who is 'a leading pioneer in energy law', heads the department alongside Efstathios Kakounis. Their team also advises on licensing procedures, competition issues, energy-related M&A and legislative compliance, and specialises in the representation of RES electricity producers, electricity suppliers and major industrial clients. At the junior end, clients regularly single out 'excellent' senior associate Ioannis Floros for recommendation.
Antonis Metaxas; Efstathios Kakounis
Other key lawyers:
‘I have the highest opinion of the Metaxas & Associates team after having worked with them. I feel they do high-quality, detailed work, they are true experts in energy law and regulation, and they approach their practice in a really professional and client-oriented manner. Antonis Metaxas has managed to assemble a really good team of experts, which makes you feel secure that you are being advised by one of the best legal teams in energy law matters in the country.’
‘Efstathios Kakounis really is a top-quality legal expert in energy law, and I would definitely recommend him. Antonis Metaxas has also been really good; his expertise is truly impressive. This is a very highly skilled team of experts in this field. Their level of specialisation is perfect for highly complex and demanding cases. They are the experts you need on your side for complex issues in energy law and regulation.’
‘It was refreshing to realise that the whole team has high-level expertise in energy regulation issues. Besides Antonis Metaxas, who combines professional and academic knowledge that is unique in Greece, I had the chance to work with Efstathios Kakounis and Ioannis Floros, who have been excellent legal counsels for us, offering detailed and precise advice and demonstrating an impressive knowledge of energy regulation on a national as well as a European level.’
‘They have a thorough knowledge of the energy sector, in terms of both domestic and EU legislation. You can be sure of dealing with lawyers who have a deep understanding of the sector.’
‘A senior associate worth mentioning is Ioannis Floros. He has excellent legal depth, offering detailed and precise advice.’
‘Knowledge of global energy trends is the key issue for providing exceptional strength in the complex Greek energy field. This is what makes this practice unique among others.’
‘Antonis Metaxas is a leading pioneer in energy law. He follows the trends in the market and takes the lead on many consultations, with a crystal-clear business perspective of how his involvement could be beneficial for both businesses and the public. His partners and associates embrace his mission and demonstrate a personal touch as a result of daily hard work, experience gained, and up-to-date education.’
‘They have been very effective and professional in the way they have provided their service. I had prior knowledge of their expertise in energy regulation, but it has been good to see that they remain foremost experts on these issues in Greece.’
ENEL GREEN POWER HELLAS S.A.
AIOLOS AEROTECHNIKI S.A.
REDEN SOLAR 2020, S.A.S.
HELLENIC HYDROCARBON RESOURCES MANAGEMENT S.A.
GEN-I GROUP/GEN-I ATHENS
HERACLES GENERAL CEMENT COMPANY
Panhellenic Association of Photovoltaic Power Producers
VOURDOUBAS ENERGEIAKI M.E.P.E
Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
PETROGAZ ENERGY S.A.
- Advised ADMIE, Greece’s Independent Power Transmission Operator, on complex energy regulation issues regarding ownership unbundling requirements.
- Provided DESFA, the Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator, with advice on complex regulatory issues regarding the congestion management of its LNG terminals.
- Advised Reden Solar SAS on the purchase of a 15MW PV portfolio and conducted legal due diligence on complex corporate structures of the sellers.
Norton Rose Fulbright fields a ‘dedicated energy team’, which is ‘very experienced in M&A for energy projects’. Its other areas of specialism include competition and regulatory matters, disputes, energy trading and public procurement. The group also excels in other aspects of energy projects, such as project finance, construction and engineering matters, as well as environmental, safety and planning affairs. It regularly acts for international financial institutions that are lending or investing into the Greek energy market and focuses particularly on the renewable energy sector. Dimitris Assimakis and Minas Kitsilis joined Reed Smith LLP.
‘The team is very experienced in M&A for energy projects.’
‘The individuals are very experienced in the Greek energy market.’
‘A dedicated energy team with in-depth knowledge of the energy sector. Excellent cooperation with the firm’s offices in other European countries, especially London.’
‘Individuals are always reachable and willing to make the extra effort to accommodate the lender’s requests and queries.’
Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners
Hellenic Wind Energy Association (ELETAEN)
Independent Power Transmission System Operator (ADMIE)
National Bank of Greece
Public Power Corporation
Public Power Corporation Renewables
Regulatory Authority for Energy (RAE)
- Advised juwi AG and juwi Hellas S.A. on the sale and contracting of Project Kozani, a 204.3 MWp solar PV power project developed close to the city of Kozani in Macedonia, to ELPE Renewables, a subsidiary of Hellenic Petroleum.
- Advising Valorem on various issues relating to its recent entry into the Greek renewable energy market through the acquisition of a 82 MW wind projects portfolio and the filing of applications for the licensing of a 150 MWp solar PV projects portfolio.
- Advised NKT Cables on the tender for the electricity interconnection of the island of Crete with the Athens metropolitan area (Attica).
‘Extremely experienced in the field of energy’, Zepos & Yannopoulos specialises in M&A, regulatory, privatisation, contractual and day-to-day advice. The practice is headed by Anastasia Makri, whose broad experience also covers large-scale projects and contractual matters; she is closely supported by compliance, regulation, transactional and licensing expert Sofia Chatzigiannidou. Key sectors include renewables, oil and gas, electricity, natural gas and hydrocarbons. A recent testament to the group’s capacity high-profile mandates is its instruction by Hellenic Petroleum to advise on the €130m acquisition of a cluster of SPVs owning a 204MW photovoltaic park located in Greece’s Macedonia region.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely experienced in the field of energy, with many years of knowledge on the issues of the legislative framework of energy policy in Greece. The main positive elements are, among others, the speed of execution of work, the immediate settlement of any issues related to what is legally valid in the case of each energy project, and the quality of work that always satisfies us.’
‘I consider the whole team of Zepos & Yannopoulos to be specialised in the field of energy and excellent in their legal work in the energy sector. Of course, I have to single out Sofia Chatzigiannidou and Anastasia Makri for their excellent work.’
BLUE GRID GAS & POWER
DEPA COMMERCIAL SA
EDP RENEWABLES EUROPE SLU (EDPR)
ENEL GREEN POWER SA
IBERDROLA ENERGIAS RENOVABLES
REPSOL & REPSOL EXPLORACION SA
- Acting as counsel to EDP Renewables Europe SLU on the acquisition from AirEnergy (a major energy producer and supplier) of a wind park project of 33MW capacity in continental Greece.
- Ssuccessfully advised Mytilineos on Phase I and Phase II of the acquisition of a majority shareholding in DEPA Commercial S.A., the state-controlled gas supplier, as part of a tender process for the group’s privatisation through the disposal of the majority shareholding held by the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund SA.
- Successfully represented Repsol in a landmark case before the Supreme Administrative Court upholding the client’s rights to seismic surveys in the context of hydrocarbon exploration in Northern Greece.
Dryllerakis & Associates primarily focuses on the renewable energy market, though it is also extremely adept in the oil, natural gas and electricity sectors. Emmanuel Dryllerakis leads the department, leveraging his long-established capability for complex M&A, competition, financing and privatisation matters. Alongside Cleomenis Yannikas, he is currently acting for Hellenic Petroleum in the sale of its 35% stake in DEPA Infrastructure, a state-owned gas distribution network currently subject to an extremely high-profile privatisation. Other key strengths include RES projects, energy-related due diligence, environmental work and tender procedures.
Other key lawyers:
Cleomenis Yannikas; Maria Stoumpidi
‘In particular, I would recommend the team for the education and knowledge level of its lawyers, their experience levels and the good atmosphere of cooperation they provide.’
‘They work with great interest and willingness.’
Enallaktiki Energeia S.A.
ENEL Green Power Hellas S.A.
Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator S.A.
Hellenic Petroleum S.A.
Systems Sunlight S.A.
- Advising Libra Group on a large-scale M&A project, regarding the legal due diligence and acquisition of a RES portfolio, comprising more than 60 photovoltaic power plants.
- Advising Enel Green Power SA with regard to ongoing investment projects, plus day-to-day advice.
- Advising Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator S.A. with regard to several day-to-day issues.
At Fortsakis, Diakopoulos, Mylonogiannis & Associates Law Firm, ‘its diversified portfolio of services makes the team an ideal choice' for energy matters. Falling within its notably broad range of expertise are electricity generation and distribution, the development and operation of renewable energy projects, energy-related contracts and regulatory affairs. Theodore Fortsakis, ‘one of the most prominent lawyers in energy law in Greece’, is also a specialist in related litigation and arbitration; he leads the department together with energy-related M&A expert Dimitris Diakopoulos, who is praised as ‘one of the most effective lawyers in the market’. A key differentiator for the group is its ‘very good comprehension of energy frameworks’, most notably in the natural gas and RES fields.
Theodore Fortsakis; Dimitris Diakopoulos
Other key lawyers:
George Mylonogiannis; Nikolas Avgouleas
‘Timely responses to inquiries and deadlines; reasonable availability of attorneys; excellent outcomes.’
‘ The lawyers have excellent academic backgrounds and strong legal knowledge.’
‘The firm has a long tradition in energy law in Greece. It combines high academic standards with actual, in-the-field experience. Its diversified portfolio of services makes the team an ideal choice.’
‘Theodore Fortsakis is one of the most prominent lawyers in energy law in Greece, and in Europe in general. Dimitris Diakopoulos is one of the most effective lawyers in the market. He is a real doer who is committed to achieving results.’
‘They have a very good comprehension of energy frameworks, as well as the energy stakeholders.’
‘Their interest in the client, personal approach and availability make them stand out from other competitors. I highly recommend Nikos Avgouleas.’
Statkraft Markets GmbH
DEPA SA (Public Gas Corporation)
EDA Attikis SA
Solar Cells Group
IGI Poseidon SA
Hellenic Wind Energy Association (HWEA/ELETAEN)
- Advising and assisting IGI Poseidon SA in relation to the tendering procedures for the EastMed-Poseidon Pipeline Project.
- Advised Statkraft Markets GmbH on the regulatory requirements in order to be granted an electricity trading licence and provided assistance and guidance for the fulfilment thereof and represented the client before the RAE.
- Acting as legal counsel to EDA Attikis, advising and representing the client before the courts on every matter relating to the company’s operation.
KLC Law Firm has notable expertise in energy-related privatisations, M&A and disputes, as well as projects, for which it is equipped to handle the finance, construction, licensing and operational components. The team has been particularly active in the renewables sector of late, assisting with the due diligence, development and financing of large-scale RES projects across Greece. Executive partner Alexandros Tsirigos, a litigation and transaction specialist, leads the department, which has a particular focus on energy law reforms and projects pursuing the liberalisation of the energy market.
Other key lawyers:
FIRST STATE INVESTMENTS
SHANGHAI ELECTRIC POWER GENERATION ENGINEERING (SEC)
IGI POSEIDON S.A.
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF)
EDISON INTERNATIONAL SPA
QATAR PETROLEUM GROUP
ELDORADO GOLD / HELLAS GOLD
POWER CAPITAL (RES)
- Acting for Edison Group, which is participating in a 50/50 consortium with Hellenic Petroleum in the international tender conducted by the Hellenic Republic Assets Development Fund (HRADF) for the privatisation of DEPA Commercial.
- Advising Shanghai Electric on the licensing, regulatory and contractual matters relating to its acquisition, development and financing of a solar projects portfolio of around 30 MW.
- Advising IGI Poseidon, Edison’s 50/50 Greek joint venture with DEPA, on regulatory and licensing matters related to the development of the Poseidon and EastMed gas infrastructure projects aiming to connect Eastern Europe, Russia, Turkey, the Caspian Region and the East Mediterranean gas markets to Italy and Central/Western Europe via Greece.
Hailed as a ‘one-stop shop’, Moussas & Partners Attorneys at Law is ‘able to support on the entire spectrum of energy activities including construction, M&A, project finance and contentious matters’. Led by Nicholas Moussas, the team is well equipped for construction, M&A and regulatory mandates, including those with public procurement, environmental, EU and administrative elements. It enjoys a particularly strong reputation for the financing of power plant and renewable energy projects, and is highly active in contentious matters, acting on a broad array of litigation and international arbitration.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Malikouti; Vassilios Moussas
‘Nicholas Moussas always takes a hands-on approach and has a very innovative way of thinking about how to approach difficult cases.’
‘Able to support entities active in the energy sector with respect to the entire spectrum of activities, including contentious and non-contentious matters. A one-stop shop.’
‘Nicholas Moussas and Maria Malikouti are recognised energy experts and have acted in a number of energy deals and in pioneering litigation concerning renewables, fossil fired plants and gas activities. Top-notch lawyers, easy to contact and valuable long-term partners.’
Mytilineos Holdings and its business units: (a) EPC Business Unit: METKA (b) Metallurgy Business Unit: ALUMINIUM OF GREECE (c) Electric Power Business Unit: PROTERGIA
Hellenic Halyvourgia Sα
- Represented steel company Hellenic Halyvourgia S.A. in a dispute before the Greek courts concerning a regional monopoly in gas supply, and in ADR proceedings with an electricity producer in Greece regarding the re-adjustment of the prices of power supply.
- Successfully represented Protergia SA and Korinthos Power SA in two ICC arbitration proceedings against DEPA SA, the largest natural gas importer in Greece.
- Successfully represented Mytilineos Holdings in a landmark bilateral investment treaty dispute under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules against the Republic of Serbia in relation to an investment in RTB Bor, the state-owned copper-mining complex.
The ‘focused and proactive’ energy department at PotamitisVekris Law Firm is headed by Euripides Ioannou, who is skilled in electricity, renewables and oil and gas-related regulation in addition to the acquisition and financing of energy assets and projects. His team is also highly regarded for PPP, upstream oil and gas matters, and transfer infrastructure concessions. Ioannou works closely with associate Dimitra Rachouti, who regularly advises on the structuring, development and acquisition of energy projects, primarily focusing on the renewables space. The team also specialises in environmental law, due diligence, and the transmission and distribution of electricity and natural gas.
Other key lawyers:
Dimitra Rachouti; Anthea Terlegas
‘They are very focused and proactive.’
Euroasia Interconnector Ltd
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
National Bank of Greece
Motor Oil Hellas S.A.
Cubico Sustainable Investments Limited
- Advised two leading international oil and gas companies on gas market regulation in Greece relating to a major gas pipeline traversing the country.
- Advised Motor Oil (a leading Greek oil refining group) on its €45.8m acquisition of a PV projects portfolio with a total capacity of approximately 47MW from Mytilineos Group (a leading Greek energy group).
- Advised China Energy Group (a key state-owned enterprise) on its acquisition of 75% of four wind projects with a total capacity of 78MW in Northern Greece from Copelouzos Group (a leading Greek energy group).
Rokas Law Firm fields a team of ‘real experts in energy law with considerable experience and an important track record’; it is headed by Mira Todorovic Symeonides, whose ‘long experience in the energy sector brings a valuable contribution to complex energy projects’. She also advises her clients on energy-related regulatory, M&A, commercial contract and licensing mandates. Sector strengths include electricity and RES, in addition to the transport and supply of oil and gas. Multi-jurisdictional instructions are a particular forte owing to the firm’s expansive SEE footprint.
Mira Todorovic Symeonides
Other key lawyers:
‘Rokas Law Firm works to a very high standard. They pay attention to detail and examine matters in depth. In comparison with other firms, Rokas Law Firm provides the most up-to-date and detailed information that we need. It is evident that the team has an extensive understanding of the energy sector and the relevant legal and regulatory framework of Greece and of the EU. They are able to address our needs perfectly.’
‘Mira Todorovic Symeonides is always helpful and offers the highest level of expertise. She is very serious about her work and looks into all possible aspects of the issue under examination. It is clear that she is very attentive to her client’s needs and has advanced knowledge of energy law and energy policies, and is fully informed of the latest or upcoming developments.’
‘The energy law team has real experts in energy law with considerable experience and an important track record. Their collaboration was effective and their responsiveness was appropriate even during the lockdown in the pandemic.’
‘Mira Todorovic’s long experience in the energy sector brings a valuable contribution to complex energy projects. She also has the required business acumen to provide legal advice on a large project with many stakeholders.’
‘The thing that separates Rokas Law Firm from most of the other firms is their absolute attention to the finest of details and their precision in delivering their services. These qualities should be regarded as prized assets of the firm and come from their longstanding experience in the field of energy.’
‘Business and customer target-focused, vast experience in different business areas, hardworking.’
‘Dedication to the tasks assigned and a commercial way of thinking.’
‘Gave us an insight into the Greek market and practice quickly and efficiently.’
- Advised the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund (HRADF) regarding the granting of the concession for the construction and operation of an underground offshore gas storage facility with PriceWaterhouseCoopers Business Solutions S.A. (as the financial adviser) and SEAL ENERGY Pty Ltd (as the technical adviser).
- Advised SolarCentury Holdings Ltd. UK on the acquisition of a 284 MW PV solar project approved as a strategic interest project for Greece.
- Represented DEPA S.A., a major Greek natural gas supplier, in a dispute with the Greek transmission system operator DESFA with regard to a compensation claim related to charges for booked gas transmission capacities.
Clients note Watson Farley & Williams – Greek Branch’s ‘strong experience in the renewable energy sector’ and expertise in energy investments and projects as its key distinguishing features. Headed by Virginia Murray, a transactions and acquisitions expert, the team supports clients at every stage of major projects, handling licensing, supply, financing and operational issues. At the junior end, senior associate Maira Galani provides the group with specialist knowledge of energy-related M&A, regulations and environmental law.
Other key lawyers:
Maira Galani; Marisetta Marcopoulou
‘The team is excellent in providing high-quality services in the field of energy law. It has deep knowledge and vast experience in all the relevant fields and especially those relating to private contracts for energy investments and projects.’
‘Virginia Murray is the perfect combination of a overseas lawyer who has effectively entered the Greek environment. She can provide valuable advice and support, looking matters from diverse points of view. Apart form Virginia, I have deep respect for the effectiveness and commitment of Marisetta Marcopoulou.’
‘Watson Farley & Williams stands out for its strong experience in the renewable energy sector and the constant availability of the team.’
‘We particularly appreciate the flexibility, availability and practical advice of Virginia Murray.’
TOTAL EREN SA
EUROPEAN BANK FOR RECONSTRUCTION AND DEVELOPMENT
ALPHA BANK SA
JASPER WIND HELLAS SA
EMERGYA WIND TECHNOLOGIES (EWT)
547 ENERGY (QUANTUM ENERGY CAPITAL)
RF ENERGY SA
CUBICO SUSTAINABLE INVESTMENTS LIMITED (UK)
EUNICE ENERGY GROUP
NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE SA
METKA EGN LIMITED
- Advised Cubico Sustainable Investments on its acquisition of K-Wind Kitheronas Energy, which owns and operates the 21 MW Kitheronas onshore wind farm in central Greece, from Intracom Holdings.
- Advised METKA EGN, a subsidiary of Mytilineos, on its acquisition and subsequent sale to Motor Oil Hellas of two portfolios comprising 24 and 41 Greek PV projects, respectively, for €45.8m.
- Advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) on a senior unsecured loan facility of up to €160m to Public Power Corporation, the largest power producer and electricity supplier in Greece, to support its working capital needs following the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic.
Alexander Vassardanis & Partners
Enjoying a ‘deservedly sound reputation in the field of energy’, Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is well equipped to handle energy projects both in Greece and abroad, with the team's recent workload spanning Egypt, Russia and Bahrain, among other jurisdictions. The ‘brilliant’ Aphrodite Vassardani serves as department head; she is extensively experienced in all manner of project types, including natural gas, oil and gas, petrochemical, LNG, power plants and all forms of renewables.
‘We are extremely satisfied with the very high level of their legal services and their professionalism. Alexander Vassardanis & Partners has built a deservedly sound reputation in the field of energy.’
‘Aphrodite Vassardani is a brilliant and very experienced lawyer. She has impressed us with the depth of her legal knowledge, her professionalism and her dedication to the achievement of excellence. We always have an excellent collaboration. She has our highest recommendation.’
‘Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is always committed to the effective outcome of our cases. We have value their very high-quality work. ’
‘Aphrodite Vassardani is an excellent lawyer. We trust her and her ability to handle complex cases successfully. She is a leading lawyer in energy.’
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners is home to ‘vast experience’ in major projects for the distribution and production of power, renewables and oil and gas. The team, which is led by managing partner Ioannis Vassardanis, also focuses on disputes, transactions, regulatory, financing and legislative matters in the energy sector, with a notable focus on risk mitigation. Cross-border matters and the representation of foreign companies is a distinguishing trait for the practice, which has a strong track record of advising on projects in the Middle East and North Africa in addition to those in Europe.
Other key lawyers:
‘The law firm has long been active in the energy sector and has vast experience in advising on the prevailing legal framework , enabling us to make the right business decisions.’
‘Ioannis Vassardanis and Eleni Tsakri provide their services on a first-priority basis, something that is most important for timely and safe decision making from my side.’
ASEA BROWN BOVERI S.A.
Politis & Partners demonstrates a clear focus on renewable energy deals, both domestic and international, and advises conglomerates, equity funds and sovereign entities in respect of large-scale projects. Managing partner Vangelis Politis, whose 'knowledge of the energy industry is second to none', is currently advising the Greek Ministry of Environment and Energy on contractual and regulatory considerations pertaining to the privatisation of Hellenic Petroleum.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team’s strengths are its general knowledge of industry terms and factors relating to the energy sector due to its experience managing several clients and transactions in the sector over the years. The firm offers a very personalised and professional service, with the managing partner taking a very active and engaged role with his clients.’
‘Vangelis Politis stands out from his competitors by always being available to offer timely and invaluable advice and counsel, no matter how busy he is or how many other engagements he has. His knowledge of the energy industry is second to none due to his long track record of transactions he has managed with various large clients over the years.’
SPI Energy Co. Ltd (SPI)
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (ENGIE)
Heliex Power Ltd
- Advised SPI Energy on the acquisition, sale and development of various photovoltaic projects throughout Greece.
- Advised CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP with regard to its client’s entry into the Greek natural gas market.
- Advised Survey Digital, a growing company in the PV industry, on contract drafting, corporate matters, ADR procedures and regulatory matters.
Sarantitis is primarily focused on the renewable energy space, where it routinely advises on wind farm, solar, thermal energy and biogas projects. Under the leadership of Theodora Monochartzis, the team also assists with regulatory, corporate, commercial, employment, tax and dispute matters in the energy sector. In recent years, it has also carved out a strong reputation for advising entities investing into Greece’s electricity trading market.
Other key lawyers:
Gregory Vlachos; Dolly Kostara
Union of Greek Electricity Traders
DG ENER (Directorate General for Energy of the European Commission)
EDL Hellas Ltd
Sentrade (Strategic Energy Trading Energean S.A.)
- Advised Petrogaz S.A. on various matters in the field of energy trading and supply.
- Advising the Union of Greek Electricity Traders on all legal matters arising from its operations.
- Advised the Directorate-General for Energy (DG Ener) of the European Commission on the Greek regulatory framework covering particular aspects of legislation in both the electricity and gas transmission sectors.