Energy in Greece
Bernitsas Law is distinguished through the breadth of its expertise, handling instructions in the thermal, oil and gas, renewables and hydrocarbon sectors while also leveraging expertise in transmission assets, distribution networks and gas transportation. The group also handles the development and financing of energy projects and recently advised a consortium of international financing institutions on the project financing of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline. Market leader Yannis Seiradakis heads up the practice, which also demonstrates strength in the privatisation of state-owned assets, regulatory matters and environmental considerations. Associate Eleni Stazilova is an active member of the team with expertise in project finance and energy-related transactions, public procurement issues and public private partnerships.
China Three Gorges
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
European Investment Bank
Hellenic Petroleum SA
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power
National Bank of Greece SA
RWE Supply & Trading
YHS STRYMON SA
- Advising Gastrade on its development of the Alexandroupolis Independent Natural Gas System (INGS) project, a cutting edge technology project which comprises an offshore floating unit for the reception, storage and re-gasification of LNG, and a system of a subsea and onshore gas transmission pipelines.
- Advising joint venture company ICGB AD on the development of the Gas Interconnector Greece-Bulgaria (IGB Pipeline), which will provide a direct link between the national natural gas systems of Greece and Bulgaria.
- Advising YHS Strymonas, the developer of a hydropower plant in the Strymonas river in the Macedonia region, on the provision of financing by the National Bank of Greece (NBG Greece) as bondholder agent and bondholder, and NBG Bank Malta (NBG Malta) as bondholder.
With a focus on energy projects and project finance transactions, Karatzas & Partners is acting as local counsel on the Trans Adriatic Pipeline, a €3.9bn project which will span from the Greek-Turkish border through to Albania and across the Adriatic Sea to Southern Italy. The team possesses comprehensive experience in the oil and gas, wind and solar sectors, and is also renowned for its day-to-day and regulatory advice. Alexandros Metallinos leads the practice alongside Christina Faitakis, who is an acclaimed name for projects in the renewable energy sector; she is currently acting for Piraeus Bank on the financing of a wind park, which is to be constructed in the Peloponnese.
Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP)
National Bank of Greece
Paneuropean Oil and Industrial Holdings (POIH)
European Investment Bank
Investment Bank of Greece SA
- Acting for Piraeus Bank on the financing of a wind park to be constructed in the Peloponnese area.
- Advising the National Bank of Greece on the financing, through multiple series of bonds and bond loans, of six different wind parks to be constructed by Eltech Anemos in Greece.
- Advised DEPA on consultations regarding a new law regulating a) the unbundling of the natural gas distribution and the natural gas networks in Greece; and b) the corporate restructuring of DEPA and its respective separation into two different entities.
Kyriakides Georgopoulos Law Firm is a key name for energy infrastructure projects and advice on industry-specific regulation, M&A, project finance, project agreements, corporate and tax planning work. Gus Papamichalopoulos is a go-to name in Greece and the wider SEE region for electricity, renewables and oil and gas work, and jointly heads up the practice with Elisabeth Eleftheriades. Papamichalopoulos recently acted for a consortium comprised of Snam, Enagás and Fluxys on its €535m acquisition of a stake in DESFA from Hellenic Petroleum and the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund. Senior associate Aristotelis Katranis is recommended for regulatory matters.
AXPO TRADING A.G.
ABO WIND A.G.
ALPIQ ENERGY SE
BLUE GRID GAS & POWER
Calfrac Well Services LTD
China Overseas Infrastructure Development and Investment Corporation
Deutsche Erneuerbare Energie GmBH
ENAGAS INTERNACIONAL S.L.U.
EDF EN HELLAS
Repsol Exploracion S.A.
MET HOLDING AG
NORTHLAND POWER INC
PUBLIC POWER CORPORATION RENEWABLES S.A.
Neptune Energy Group Holdings
Seven Energy AG
State Grid Corporation of China
State Grid Europe Limited
WINDOWS INTERNATIONAL S.A.
- Advising the sponsor of the infrastructure project related to the licensing and construction of a gas interconnector between Greece and North Macedonia.
- Acted on the potential acquisition of a minority stake (approx. 20%) in a project to build and operate a new offshore LNG terminal in the sea of Thrace to be developed by Gastrade.
- Assisted EDF EN Hellas with its business endeavours in the Greek RES market with a particular focus on the licensing and implementation of its business plan related to the construction, development and operation of a specific portfolio of Hybrid Power Stations (HPS) planned to be located on the non-interconnected system of Greece.
Metaxas & Associates Law Firm
‘Among the top legal firms in Greece for energy’, Metaxas & Associates Law Firm is noted for its ‘profound expertise in the EU regulatory framework’ and its experience in handling energy M&A. Antonis Metaxas, who has a ‘rare combination of professional and academic knowledge’, oversees the department alongside Efstathios Kakounis, who is praised for his ‘excellent counselling on complex energy issues’. The team also handles development, project financing, legislative compliance, competition and contentious matters with experience appearing before the Regulatory Authority for Energy, the European Commission and EU Courts. The practice was recently bolstered by the arrival of Ioannis Floros, who joined from a position as chief legal counsel to the Minister of Finance.
‘It should be mentioned that their level is closer to European standards rather than typical Greek, while Professor Metaxas’s impressive expertise in energy regulation has been valuable for our needs. I find that his academic background made the difference concerning the depth of consultation we received from them.’
‘It should be underlined that the whole team has had high-level expertise in energy regulation issues. Besides Professor Metaxas, who really combines professional and academic background that is rare to find in Greece, I cooperated closely with Mr. Kakounis who has been excellent legal counsel for us, offering detailed and precise advice and demonstrating impressive knowledge on Energy, EU Corporate and Commercial Law both on national as well as European level.’
‘Personal involvement and deep knowledge of Mr. Metaxas, in the fields of our interest.’
‘Academic experience of partners and collaborators in a variety of subjects. Prompt response and actions.’
‘I consult Metaxas & Associates in cases where I need truly profound expertise in Energy Law in regard to the EU regulatory framework. They have been very efficient in their work in a level that was closer to European standards rather than typical Greek standards for the provision of legal services.’
‘My cooperation has been mainly with Professor Metaxas whom I highly recommend. He’s a distinguished professional and academic, continuously working to enrich and expand his know-how on the energy sector, which works at the advantage of his clients.’
‘We have worked with Professor Metaxas who is an outstanding professional highly known and recognised in the market.’
‘Among the top legal firms in Greece for energy regulatory and policy issues.’
‘High skills and deep knowledge. Commitment to results. Productive thinking.’
Enel Green Power Hellas S.A.
Major RES Producers (active portfolio of more than 5 MW each)
Members of the Panhellenic Rooftop Photovoltaic Association (PA.SY.FO.S)
Major Industrial Electricity Consumers
- Acting for Enel Green Power in its dispute with the Greek Market Operator on the retroactive cuts of its feed in tariffs.
- Representing over 1200 members of the Panhellenic Rooftop Photovoltaic Association in drafting and filing a series of lawsuits before the Administrative Courts, challenging the validity of the ‘New Deal’ legislative act, which affected rooftop photovoltaic electricity producers.
- Representing the biggest renewable energy investors in challenging the legality of the administrative acts implementing the adopted ‘interruptibility scheme’.
Clients praise Norton Rose Fulbright for its ‘great track record in the Greek energy sector combined with its ability to bring in experience from abroad’. The department advises state-controlled and private energy companies on local and cross-border projects, public law issues, construction and engineering work, M&A, dispute resolution and environmental matters. Practice head Dimitris Assimakis is regarded as ‘one of the very best energy law practitioners in the market’; the team also handles antitrust, competition and regulatory matters, working closely with the firm’s EU energy competition and regulatory team in Brussels. Financial institutions who are investing or lending in the sector also instruct the team, which recently advised Eurobank Ergasias, Alpha Bank and National Bank of Greece on the refinancing of the Agios Georgios wind farm. Senior Associate Minas Kitsilis delivers 'great due diligence work'.
‘ I have worked together with Dimitris Assimakis for many years. Excellent Energy law practitioner, one of the very best on the market.’
‘The knowledge and performance of NRF in the energy sector is at an exceptional level and the cooperation with them is a guarantee for the successful handling of the most complex projects. I have been fully satisfied with the performance of NRF during our cooperation.’
‘I have worked with Dimitris Assimakis and his team (Minas Kitsilis and Christina Korinthios) and I may qualify the team as excellent, client oriented, available and efficient. I very much enjoy the collaboration with D. Assimakis team.’
‘They have great experience and track record in the Energy sector in Greece but they can bring experience from abroad in case needed as they are an international firm. Providing know-how from other markets which are tested is of great importance in local transactions.’
‘Due Diligence work is very thorough and communication is efficient. They are available to address matters quickly. Dimitris Assimakis and Minas Kitsilis perform great in Due Diligence work.’
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
European Investment Bank (EIB)
Hellenic Republic (Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Environment and Energy)
Hellenic Wind Energy Association (ELETAEN)
National Bank of Greece
Public Power Corporation
Public Power Corporation Renewables
Tokio Marine Kiln
- Advised Alpha Bank on the limited recourse financing for the development, construction and operation of a greenfield wind power project developed by a Greek subsidiary of Total Eren in Karystros- Evia, Greece.
- Advising Eurobank Ergasias on the refinancing of 12 operating renewable energy projects.
- Advising PPC Renewables on the financing of a small-scale wind and hydro projects portfolio.
Zepos & Yannopoulos is well-versed in all aspects of the energy sector including oil, electricity and natural gas matters with experience in projects, M&A, regulatory issues, privatisations, contracts and day-to-day operations. The team also specialises in the drafting of electricity operational codes and is led by Anastasia Makri, who is particularly adept at negotiating transaction documents. In a recent highlight, the group advised Repsol on its hydrocarbon exploration and exploitation activities in Greece including regulatory and environmental matters. Enel Green Power is also a client and instructed the group on the financing, construction and development of a wind park in Evia.
BLUE GRID GAS & POWER
EDP RENEWABLES EUROPE SLU (EDPR)
ENEL GREEN POWER SA
IBERDROLA ENERGIAS RENOVABLES
PETROL, SLOVENIAN ENERGY COMPANY D.D.
REPSOL & REPSOL EXPLORACION SA
SOLAR GR OOD
- Assisted the consortium of Vitol and Sonatrach with its bid for the acquisition of Hellenic Petroleum.
- Advising EDPR on the development and implementation of the Aerorrachi Wind Farm Project.
- Acting for EDP Renewables Europe SLU on the acquisition from Volterra of two wind park projects in continental Greece.
Active in the oil, natural gas, electricity and renewable energy sectors, Dryllerakis & Associates has a client roster, which includes Hellenic Petroleum, Systems Sunlight and Larco. Emmanuel Dryllerakis heads up the practice, and focuses his practice on M&A, competition, financing and privatisation matters. In a recent highlight, the team advised new client Enel Green Power on the development of seven wind farm projects.
Systems Sunlight S.A.
ENEL Green Power SA
Hellenic Petroleum S.A
- Advising Sunlight Systems on regulatory and permitting matters regarding the operation of a recycling plant.
- Handled the termination and re-negotiation of the electricity supply agreement of Larco, a leading Greek mining and metallurgy company.
- Acting for a client on the planning of a new RES plant.
Fortsakis, Diakopoulos, Mylonogiannis & Associates Law Firm is highly recommended for its ‘in-depth knowledge of the energy sector’. Praised as a ‘top expert in the field’, Theodore Fortsakis heads up the practice alongside Dimitris Diakopoulos, who is noted for his ‘efficiency when handling sensitive and complex issues’. The team is particularly well-equipped to act on electricity generation and distribution issues and the development and operation of renewable energy projects; it also handles M&A, regulatory and contentious matters. Clients include domestic and international entities with several public energy utility companies completing the roster.
‘Top notch firm especially in the fields of corporate and energy law, combining solid academic credentials and a high expertise record in advising and representing clients.’
‘ProfessorTh. Fortsakis is a top expert in the fields of Administrative, Tax and Energy law. Dimitris Diakopoulos is very efficient when handling sensitive and complex issues. I also rate highly a young partner of the firm, Nikolas Avgouleas.’
‘In-depth knowledge of energy sector.’
‘The firm is one of the top legal firms in Greece for legal support in development and financing of renewable energy projects. (Moreover, it is one of the top firms in issues of public administrative law and on taxation law).’
‘Deep knowledge and continual update of all the legal issues related with energy and renewable energy in Greece. Effectiveness and business approach in the commercial transaction. They are lawyers who really want to support making a business deal and not just cover themselves towards their clients.’
DEPA SA (Public Gas Corporation)
EDA Attikis SA (Attica Natural Gas Distribution Company)
Solar Cells Group
Venergia Group of Companies
ENTEKA SA and ENTEKA Group of companies
Hellenic Wind Energy Association (HWEA/ELETAEN)
- Acting for DEPA in the disputed tax treatment of income tax already withheld by the company’s subsidiaries.
- Advising EDA Attikis on a permanent full-time basis on the entire range of legal and regulatory matters relating to its operation.
- Representing Solar Cells Group before the Administrative Courts in a wide spectrum of cases regarding state aid recovery and state liability due to unconstitutional legislation.
Clients note KLC Law Firm’s capacity to ‘suggest innovative solutions to complex legal issues’ thanks to its experience handling the ‘spectrum of transactional, regulatory and dispute resolution matters’. Key areas of expertise for the team encompass energy law reform, privatisations, M&A and litigation, including international arbitration. Led by the ‘profoundly knowledgeable’ Alexandros Tsirigos, the team also handles every stage of energy-related projects including the construction, finance, licensing and operational elements.
‘During our contact with the team, I was deeply impressed by them. They are professional, responsive and friendly.Any documents, comments and other feedback they provide demonstrate their high standard as energy lawyers. We will recommend the team to our clients and colleagues beyond all doubt.’
‘I would highly recommend partner Alexandros Tsirigos. We have been working with lawyers from various countries on energy projects. Mr. Tsirigos is one of the few lawyers I’ve seen who provides legal documents with great efficiency. In our communication, Mr. Tsirigos always show great professionalism and patience, and provides accurate comments and feedback.’
‘KLC has a integrated and dedicated team comprising its energy practice. They all are business-oriented, efficient, quick and have a very solid and deep legal knowledge. Moreover, they are able to suggest innovative solutions on complex legal issues, having dealt with energy law across the spectrum on transactional, regulatory and dispute resolution matters.’
‘Alexandros Tsirigos heads the energy practice. He is distinguished for his strategic thinking and organization skills combined with a profound knowledge of energy law, both on transactional and regulatory aspects. I have also closely worked with Xenofon Papayiannis in privatization projects in the energy sector. Combining a strong transactional and tax background, he has a unique ability to provide firm, business oriented solutions to complex legal issues.’
‘We were served mainly by Xenophon Papayiannis, who literally became part of our in-house legal team. Very professional, always available, never one to push back a work stream. Delivers as promised.’
‘Xenophon Papayiannis is extremely dedicated, with an increased sense of integrity and a deep knowledge of the subject matter. He excels in identifying, presenting and managing legal risk.’
‘Our team at KLC is extremely commercial, very responsive, and with a very clear and acute understanding of the risks that we seek to navigate.’
‘Alexandros Tsirigos is our partner at KLC and he is extremely responsive, and his work is of very high quality.’
HELLENIC REPUBLIC ASSET DEVELOPMENT FUND (HRADF)
IGI POSEIDON S.A.
EDISON INTERNATIONAL SPA
QATAR PETROLEUM GROUP
ELDORADO GOLD / HELLAS GOLD
PHOENIX SOLAR A.G.
- Advised HRADF on the international public tender for the privatisation of Hellenic Petroleum.
- Advising IGI Poseidon on the development of major gas infrastructure projects.
- Advising Halyvourgiki on licensing and regulatory matters.
The ‘quality of service’ at Lambadarios Law Firm allows it to handle instructions in the electricity production, commerce, oil and gas, mining, wind, hydro, solar and photovoltaic sectors. George Panopoulos is a ‘standout energy law specialist’ and leads the department, which has a workload spanning M&A, project developments, refinancings, restructurings and litigation. The recent recruitment of Yannis Kourniotis from Bernitsas Law notably bolstered the practice; he has extensive experience in energy-related project finance and PPP work.
‘George Panopolos is a standout upcoming energy law specialist.’
‘Lambadarios Law Firm has a deep understanding of the construction industry and a thorough knowledge of the legal practice, both in advisory and at litigation/arbitration level. Their teamwork is remarkable, so that they present no perceptible weakness. They definitely are one of the two or three top choices for any company active in the construction sector and for litigation/arbitration.’
‘George Panopoulos is the partner with whom I have mostly worked. Available and responsive, George manages to put in plain words even the most complicated legal question. He is a person one can trust without any second thought.’
‘The level of specification, width of range of projects in the Energy sector, alongside the quality of services delivered at fair price are the key competitive advantages of the firm, putting them in the top tier of the sector in Greece.’
‘George Panopoulos: High standard of client service, exceptional knowledge of the Law and exceptional communication skills. Out-of-the-box thinking alongside the commercial approach to problem-solving are his key professional characteristics.’
Public Power Corporation PPC
Kavala Oil S.A.
Energean Oil SA
Glencore – Carlyle
Public Power Corporation
Black Sea Trade & Development Bank
- Advising DEPA on the €1bn restructuring of the group and subsequent privatisation for €300m by the HRADF.
- Advising DEPA on the privatisation process run by the HRADF for the sale of the commercial Public Gas Corporation to an interested investor.
- Advising a consortium comprised of Glencore and Carlyle Group on the international public tender for the acquisition of a majority stake and the privatisation of Hellenic Petroleum.
The practitioners at PotamitisVekris Law Firm are ‘knowledgeable, quick and efficient’, advising on all aspects of the relevant regulatory frameworks, project developments, project financings, oil and gas projects and the acquisition of pipeline and operating assets. Practice head Euripides Ioannou represents numerous international sponsors and lenders in addition to local entities; he was recently engaged by the Hellenic Real Estate Asset Development Fund to advise on the sale of its 66% stake in DEPA, Greece’s largest gas distributor. Associate Dimitra Rachouti is an active member of the team with expertise in RES and natural gas projects.
Euroasia Interconnector Ltd
TERNA ENERGY S.A.
Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund
National Bank of Greece
- Advising Euroasia Interconnector, appointed by the EU Commission as project promoter of the European Project of Common Interest (PCI) of the Israel-Cyprus-Greece electricity interconnection.
- Advising the National Bank of Greece on the leveraged acquisition financing relating to the acquisition by Egypt’s Elsewedy Electric of 64MW of wind and hydro assets from Greek wind energy company RF Energy.
- Assisting China Energy (formerly Shenhua Group, a leading Chinese energy Group) with its participation in four wind projects in Northern Greece.
Watson Farley & Williams – Greek Branch
Watson Farley & Williams – Greek Branch’s team consists of ‘highly-skilled individuals’ with a ‘high degree of quality and professionalism’. Virginia Murray is a leading name for acquisitions and financings within the energy space and leads the department together with regulatory and environmental expert Marisetta Marcopoulou. The practice advises on all issues pertaining to energy projects, from conception, licensing and supply matters through to operational issues. Senior associate Maira Galani is a key name to note for energy-related M&A and project finance mandates.
‘WFW advise us in our relationship with the financing bank and is supporting us in the ongoing selling procedure. All the jobs have been carried out with an high degree of quality and professionally.’
‘We have been working for years with Ms. Virginia Murray and her colleague Maira Galani and we appreciate her professional capabilities and her kind but firm attitude.’
‘WFW team is highly experienced and eager to dive in the core of the things under consideration; always at the forefront of legal advice and consulting. Versatility, eagerness to take-over, and engagement in cases certainly provide the best result in a demanding business.’
‘Highly-skilled individuals, always solution-oriented and close to the business, is the key to success. Meticulous and efficient work is the key element to success. Partnering is always an element that WFW individuals have in common and I believe this is driving their success.’
‘The team is among the top legal firms in Greece in relation with renewable energy issues, in licensing and financing’
‘Deep knowledge of the Greek RES landscape. Continue to follow-up on all the recent development in the sector’.
TOTAL EREN SA
EDF EN (FRANCE AND GREECE)
ALPHA BANK SA
JASPER WIND HELLAS SA
ENERGY WIND TECHNOLOGIES (NETHERLANDS)
PPC RENEWABLES SA
RF ENERGY SA
EUNICE ENERGY GROUP
NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE SA
- Advised National Bank of Greece on the provision of non-recourse acquisition financing to a consortium comprising Snam, Enagás and Fluxys to fund its acquisition, through Senfluga Energy Infrastructure Holdings, of a 66% stake in the Hellenic Gas Transmission System Operator.
- Advising Themeli on a Greek bond-loan project financing for its new wind farm from National Bank of Greece, including security documents governed by foreign law.
- Advising companies in the Eunice Energy Group on the refinancing of three operating wind projects and extensions of each of those projects through a Greek bond-loan project financing with the National Bank of Greece.
Alexander Vassardanis & Partners
Alexander Vassardanis & Partners fields an ‘outstanding team with the highest standard of professionalism and an in-depth knowledge of energy’. Energy projects across the petrochemical, power plant, renewables and natural gas sectors are a keystone of the practice, which also assists clients with all stages of the oil and gas process, from exploration through to production and sale issues, and the development of processing facilities. Aphrodite Vassardani heads up the department, leveraging her ‘extensive experience in energy’.
‘Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is an outstanding law firm with the highest standards of professionalism and in-depth knowledge of energy.’
‘Our relation is with Ms. Aphrodite Vassardani, who is an outstanding lawyer. She has impressed us with the depth of her legal knowledge, her professionalism and her dedication to the achievement of excellence. She has extensive experience in energy. She has our highest recommendation.’
‘Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is a top law firm, the leader in Greece which has always handled our cases with great success. Alexander Vassardanis & Partners is the leading law firm in this practice area, compared to other firms. I have no hesitancy in recommending Alexander Vassardanis & Partners as a top law firm in this practice area.’
‘Aphrodite Vassardani is an excellent, first-rate lawyer. Her very high quality of work has been invaluable. We trust the high standard of her work. She is a leading lawyer in this practice area.’
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners
Ioannis Vassardanis & Partners is active across the entire range of energy matters including those in the natural resources and utilities sectors. The team advises on all stages of projects concerning the transmission, distribution and production of power, oil and gas. International companies frequently instruct the group on matters which extend beyond Greece and Europe to North Africa and the Middle East. Also among the practice’s core strengths are transactions, disputes, regulatory and legislative issues. Ioannis Vassardanis is the key contact.
ASEA BROWN BOVERI S.A.
- Providing day-to-day advice to a client on issues relating to an energy project in Iraq.
- Providing day-to-day energy advice to a client in relation to a significant power project in Lebanon.
- Advising a client on day-to-day issues pertaining to the performance of a gas fired combined cycle power plant project in Iraq.
Kelemenis & Co
Kelemenis & Co is knowledgeable of energy matters in Greece and the broader SEE region. Its work includes transactional, regulatory and commercial matters. The renewables, hydrocarbons and power sectors are areas of specific expertise.
At Koutalidis Law Firm, the group's energy expertise ranges from project developments and investments, privatisations and dispute resolution through to a range of day-to-day advice including licensing issues and maintenance contracts. The practice is also highly experience in infrastructure projects.
Moussas & Partners Attorneys at Law provides ‘in-depth knowledge of the energy industries from renewables to natural gas’. The practice has a varied caseload which, in addition to projects and M&A, also includes regulatory, contentious and environmental mandates and a range of commercial matters. Nicholas Moussas, who a listed arbitrator of the Greek Regulatory Authority for Energy, heads up the practice and is singled out for his ability to ‘think outside the box’.
‘They have in depth knowledge of a wide range of issues relating and affecting the energy industry from renewables to natural gas, and are able to assist with a wide range of issues, from contracts to litigation.’
‘Nicolas Moussas, good negotiator, thinks out of the box, has strong legal/technical skills. Maria Malikouti, meticulous and hard working.’
Mytilineos Holdings SA and its business units:
(a) EPC Business Unit: METKA
(b) Metallurgy Business Unit: ALUMINIUM OF GREECE
(c) Electric Power Business Unit: PROTERGIA
- Successfully represented Protergia in an ICC Arbitration against DEPA.
- Successfully represented Korinthos Power in an ICC Arbitration against DEPA.
- Successfully represented Mytilineos Holdings in a landmark bilateral investment treaty dispute under the UNCITRAL arbitration rules against the Republic of Serbia.
Evangelos Politis heads up the practice at Politis & Partners, which is reputed for its ‘great experience and business sense’. The team is adept at handling all relevant matters though is particularly experienced in renewable energy deals in Greece and abroad. In a recent highlight, the group advised Eurobank on the refinancing of two companies controlled by Mytilineos Group, which are developing and operating a portfolio of three wind parks in Greece.
‘Experience and professionalism. The partners and associates of Politis Law Firm are always close to us using their experience to identify solutions that work.’
‘Great experience and business sense. They are adding value to all involved parties by addressing matters swiftly and efficiently.’
Eurobank Ergasias S.A.
SPI Energy Co. Ltd (SPI)
CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP (ENGIE)
- Recently retained by the Greek Ministry of Environment & Energy to support the Hellenic Republic on the contractual and regulatory aspects of the privatisation of Hellenic Petroleum, one of the largest oil companies in the Balkans.
- Assisting SPI Energy with the acquisition, sale and development of various photovoltaic projects throughout Greece.
At Rokas Law Firm, practice head Mira Todorovic Symeonides is highly-regarded for her ‘deep industry knowledge and actionable solutions’. The team possesses specialist knowledge of regulatory matters and, thanks to the firm’s footprint across the SEE region, has also developed a strong reputation for cross-border matters. Day-to-day support is provided to a number of clients with other key areas of expertise extending to licensing procedures, start-ups in the energy sector, litigation, transport and supply work, environmental matters and acquisitions.
‘Their knowledge of our sector and the people within the sector are unparalleled.’
‘Mira Todorovic Symeonides was exceptional. A pleasure to work with. Deep industry knowledge and offered actionable solutions.’
‘They have expertise in civil, commercial and energy law.’
‘Mr Theodorou is a very good expert in civil law. Mrs Teodorovic is a very good expert in Energy law.’
NRG Trading House
- Assisting HRADF with granting the concession for the construction and operation of an underground offshore gas storage facility.
- Advised NRG Trading House on its sale of 90% of shares to the company Motor Oil Hellas.
- Represented DEPA in a dispute against the Greek TSO (DESFA) with regard to a compensation claim related to charges for booked gas transmission capacities.
Sarantitis is particularly highly regarded for its work in the renewables space and also has the capacity to assist domestic and international clients with the full range of energy-related activities in Greece. In addition to regulatory matters, the team counts commercial, employment, tax and litigation issues among its core areas of expertise. Wind farm, solar, thermal energy and biogas projects are also key strengths with the practice also expanding its expertise to include electricity mandates. Theodora Monochartzis serves as department head.
DG ENER (Directorate General for Energy of the European Commission)
Union of Greek Electricity Traders
EDL Hellas Ltd
Sentrade (Strategic Energy Trading Energean S.A.)
- Advising EDL Hellas in relation to company/corporate matters.
- Filing, on behalf of the Greek subsidiary of the Alpiq Group, a number of administrative petitions before the Administrative Court of Appeal of Piraeus against the Greek State.
- Engaged in the establishment, structuring and full legal representation of a union of licensed multinational companies, which are active in the supply and trading of electricity in Greece, in order to formulate an organisation that will represent the interests of the associate companies and assist with the liberalisation of the Greek electricity and energy market.