Industry focus: IT and internet in France
The team at August Debouzy represents a range of leading IT providers, including Microsoft, and is active on significant TMT projects from launching digital commerce platforms to conducting data privacy audits. Other areas of expertise include working on regulatory compliance programs, cyber security issues and outsourcing matters. Litigation is handled in-house, with the team being instructed on several privacy disputes before both civil and criminal courts. New York and Paris-qualified IT specialist Mahasti Razavi, who is rated for providing 'workable solutions', leads the practice alongside Florence Chafiol and Alexandra Berg-Moussa. Up-and-coming counsel Anne-Sophie Lampe is a name to note for IP and IT litigation. Nicolas Quoy and Charles Bouffier are also highly regarded.
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Sophie Lampe; Nicolas Quoy; Charles Bouffier
‘Mahasti Razavi understands how to communicate with clients, always anticipating their needs and providing workable solutions.‘
‘Quick response to requests, holistic approach to legal issues. ’
‘The team has exceptional knowledge, and is well-versed in advising on complex cross-border organisations. They have gone above and beyond to understand our business and key risks during our time working together. They provide pragmatic advice and appreciate commercial imperatives.’
‘Florence Chafiol has a deep technical knowledge and provides exceptional practical advice. She has assisted us in finding pragmatic solutions to a complex evolving regulator and operates as a true partner to our in-house legal team.’
‘Alexandra Berg-Moussa works effectively with our French and international teams alike to share her depth of insights and knowledge about French law. Her experience enables her to provide tailored and specific strategic advice.‘
‘Dedicated, very thorough analysis and in-depth knowledge. The team also has a great capability to broaden the initial point of view and make sure every aspect of a topic has been reviewed.‘
‘Ability to influence and to add value to initial questions.‘
‘Strong availability and engagement towards their clients. We feel like the only client they have as they are fully dedicated and always by our side.‘
Total SA & Total Global Procurement (TGP)
Philip Morris France
- Assisting Microsoft with advisory strategic partnership agreements, transactional services agreements and litigation matters.
- Advised Accor on a high-profile partnership agreement regarding the set-up of a cobranded credit payment card with a major credit card provider, including negotiating the agreement.
- Advising Meero on copyright matters related to an on-demand photography company founded in 2016 which uses AI and ML algorithms to streamline photo editing, while also acting as a worldwide marketplace of photographers around the world.
Baker McKenzie fields an experienced IT department, advising leading technology user corporations, digital and OTT service providers and banks. The department also assists with rolling out strategic IT projects, including outsourcing, SaaS, digital transformation and systems integration. Transactional mandates also make up a considerable part of the work stream, with the team advising several blue-chip firms in the financial and insurance sectors on significant deals. Magalie Dansac Le Clerc in particular is a name to note for IT transactions. The practice has continued to develop its cybercrime offering, assisting several clients with investigations related to fraud and data breaches, and has also been retained on data privacy litigation. Jointly led by IT and telecoms expert Rémy Bricard and cross-border contracts specialist Laurent Szuskin, the department also features telecommunications experience in the form of Christian Blomet.
Other key lawyers:
Magalie Dansac Le Clerc; Christian Blomet
- Advised and assisted Air France KLM Group in the context of the negotiation between Air France-KLM Group and the consortium of Orange and Global Eagle Entertainment of a long-term contract.
Housing one of the market's leading IT practices, Bird & Bird's multi-disciplinary approach makes it a popular choice for French tech user companies and international providers who benefit from the team's comprehensive offering. Present on major digital transformation projects, the department is well versed in providing advice in relation to outsourcing services, systems integration, cloud computing solutions and artificial intelligence. The practice also fields a burgeoning e-commerce group covering content creation, financing, production, licensing and distribution. Merav Griguer, whose primary focus is on personal data protection, jointly leads the team alongside transaction and digital innovation specialist Stéphane Leriche. Marion Barbier and Cathie-Rosalie Joly are further names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Marion Barbier; Cathie-Rosalie Joly
BNP Parisbas Security Services
NGO EU Dinsinfo Lab
Kapsch TrafficCom AG
- Acting as the strategic advisor to Orange SA in sensitive matters relating to data, privacy and cybersecurity issues.
- Assisted BNP Paribas Securities Services in the drafting and negotiation of a major hosting and operation services agreement with Dutch Provider Schuberg Philis.
Derriennic Associés is retained by domestic and global technology providers and users, the practice is active on large-scale IT and telecoms projects, with complementary expertise in data protection and IP. In addition to this, the team has a strong track record in digitalisation and e-commerce issues, and also provides litigation and mediation services. In artificial intelligence, the department is involved in market-shaping mandates, for example when advising the Association Française de Normalisation on the creation of French AI standards. The team's highly regarded leadership group is comprised of François-Pierre Lani, Pierre-Yves Margnoux, Georges Jenselme, Bruno Ducoulombier, and Alexandre Fievée.
‘Derrienic is the top law firm in the IT industry in France. It has broad experience and expertise in the IT industry, outsourcing, data protection, IP Law, and complex IT disputes.‘
‘Pierre-Yves Margnaux is very sharp, always reactive and proactive.’
‘Emmanuel Benoit is very experienced and adapts to the client’s needs.’
‘Reactive practice with good teamwork and interpersonal skills.‘
‘Bruno Ducoulombier is very experienced in IT and always provides a quality service.‘
‘They are experts in their field, excellent negotiators and high-performers on contentious matters.‘
‘François-Pierre Lani and Pierre Yves Margnoux have a perfect practical understanding of the sector and always provide pertinent advice.‘
Medical de France
BPCE / Natixis
Audioptic Trade Services (ATS)
La Banque Postale
- Assisted the AFNOR (Association Française de Normalisation), the French national organization for standardization, with its reflections on the creation of French standards concerning Artificial Intelligence.
- Advising BPCE group/Natixis on the implementation of electronic signatures.
- Counsel to SAB, an IT engineering company and publisher of banking software packages, in the context of litigation against BAMI (Banque Michel Inchauspé).
DLA Piper is sought after for its experience in large-scale strategic IT projects. Recognised as a key player in matters related to digital transformation, the department features a comprehensive offering covering cloud computing, big data, the internet of things and AI. Key names in the department include disputes specialist Stéphane Lemarchand and Gregory Tulquois who advises companies on strategic tech transactions. Practice-head Jonathan Rofé, who is described by clients as 'adaptable with great interpersonal skills' is highly regarded in the field of IT law, having developed specific expertise in relation to big data and the internet of things.
Other key lawyers:
Stéphane Lemarchand; Gregory Tulquois
‘What distinguishes Jonathan Rofé’s team is its constant availability, reactivity and proactivity.‘
‘Jonathan Rofé is adaptable with great interpersonal skills.‘
‘An extremely strong IT practice based in Paris.‘
‘The team is excellent – leaders in the market from a technical and practical standpoint.‘
‘Excellent knowledge of the market and clear straight forward efficient advice.‘
‘Excellent lawyers, responsive, efficient, solution-orientated and efficient.’
- Advising Airbus in the context of its fast-track onboarding of customers for its aviation-oriented data platform Skywise, with the aim of negotiating and concluding agreements with a critical number of Skywise customers.
- Advised a French leader in affordable jewellery in the context of the renewal of all electronic payment terminals in its stores located in France and Monaco.
- Advised a global leader in smart transportation on the negotiation of a strategic partnership with a large motorway operator to provide tech-based management services to customers in the French market.
Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing
'Uniquely qualified in the IT and internet sectors', boutique firm Alain Bensoussan-Avocats Lexing is recognised for its work on significant digitalisation projects. The wider department covers outsourcing, integration of information systems, cloud computing and business process outsourcing, and is also involved in artificial intelligence and robotics. As well as pre-litigation, arbitration and litigation before the civil, commercial and criminal courts, the firm offers crisis management services. Founding partner Alain Bensoussan, whose 'analysis is always pertinent', is particularly specialised in new information and communication technologies law. Jean-François Forgeron, Benoît de Roquefeuil, Frédéric Forster and Virginie Bensoussan-Brulé are further key contacts.
‘Alain Bensoussan Avocats Lexing is uniquely qualified in the IT and internet sectors. The team is reactive and efficient.‘
‘I work in close collaboration with Alain Bensoussan who is direct, clear and whose analysis is always pertinent.‘
Hélène Legras, Vice-présidente d’honneur, Data Protection Officer Association
Catherine Delhaye (Valéo)
Erika Moatti (DXC)
Stéphane Alaux, Net Wash
Sarah Piot (AAA)
Frédérique Agnès (Lucy in the Sky with Data)
- Assisted the FEP Fédération des Entreprises de Propreté with the digital transformation of its players and the optimization of their business processes.
- Advised an industrial group on determining the legal and technical constraints applicable to electronic communications services dedicated to private or public clients.
Astura is primarily retained by domestic clients, ranging in size from start-ups through mid and large corporates. The department, which is well known for its transactional work, is also regularly instructed on significant contentious matters with recent work highlights related to software license infringements, failed software implementation and failed website developments. Other areas in which the practice excels includes e-payments, IP and data protection. Founding partner Matthieu Mélin , who also possesses coding skills, leads the team.
De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés houses an experienced IT practice, representing a diverse client list ranging from start-ups to large multinationals, including a longstanding relationship with Microsoft. The team, which provides 'thorough and pertinent answers' according to one client, covers regulatory, transactional and contentious work, with a strong track record negotiating digital platform contracts. A niche area of specialism is in the e-health sector, where the department benefits from the expertise of the firm's leading healthcare practice group, to advise on issues related to health data protection. Julien Horn and Louis de Gaulle lead the team. Georgie Courtois and Cécile Théard-Jallu are also highly regarded in this field. Jean-Sébastien Mariez departed the firm in 2020 to co-found Momentum.
‘Pleasant and reactive, the team understand our questions and provide thorough and pertinent answers.‘
‘Highly competent team with great interpersonal skills.‘
‘The team is composed of several specialists who together cover the full breadth of work.‘
‘Cécile Théard-Jallu is reactive and understands the needs of her clients well.‘
ASO Amaury Sport Organization
AUF (Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie)
Gouvernement de la Guyane,
Gouvernement de la Nouvelle Calédonie
Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer
- Advised Datakalab on personal data protection, and drafted various related agreements and documents.
- Assisting Hopscotch with the contractual and regulatory negotiations related to data privacy and advertising campaign.
- Assisting Orientis Gourmet with the contractual and regulatory negotiations related to data privacy and advertising campaign.
Boutique TMT firm Féral-Schuhl/Sainte-Marie is retained by software providers, banks, and large corporations to advise on the implementation of complex IT projects. The practice routinely negotiates and drafts tech-related agreements, including for software solution integration, outsourcing and software licenses, and is also instructed for contentious matters. In conjunction with Feugère, the firm was instrumental in creating the first legal network focused exclusively on compliance with the requirements set forth by GDPR and the French anti-bribery and anti-corruption law. Founding partners Bruno Grégoire Sainte Marie and Christiane Feral-Schuhl are both highly regarded in the field. Also involved is 'high-profile professional' Olivier de Courcel and IP expert Richard Willemant.
‘They are very professional, focused on goals and solid. They stick to their role, for instance, advising, not trying to decide.‘
‘Olivier de Courcel is a high-profile professional. He obviously has a deep knowledge of the matters he’s dealing with. As an expert his advice is based in a solid chain of facts and arguments, with no voids, that eases the strength of the case for negotiation.‘
- Assisted a French media group with various matters involving Internet law, IT projects and digitalization.
- Assisted a global solutions provider in the context of a mediation relating to the implementation of modules with one of its clients.
- Assisted a banking sector company in the context of the joint use of a software with a partner.
Recognised for its strong knowledge of the US and Asian markets, Gibson Dunn provides strategic advice to companies implementing complex IT projects. The team also regularly assists private equity funds on acquisitions and investments that require IT and privacy expertise, and is also active in traditional M&A transactions. Other key work includes outsourcing, cloud computing, SaaS and partnership contracts. Department head Ahmed Baladi is active on strategic digital transformation and outsourcing mandates and also has experience in advising clients on privacy and cybersecurity issues. Up-and-coming counsel Vera Lukic is another key name, particularly for tech transactions and GDPR compliance.
Other key lawyers:
Platinum Equity Advisors, LLC
Unibail Rodamco Westfield
- Advises investment fund Platinum Equity Advisors, LLC on its acquisitions and investments that require IT and privacy expertise.
With 'exceptional technical know-how in the tech and digital sector', Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I.'s 11-lawyer team is retained on significant digital transformation mandates, often working on innovative issues including open source, cryptography, retargeting, blockchain and artificial intelligence. The department is also experienced in contentious work before regulators, notably representing AFP in a procedure against Google before the French Competition Authority regarding the French transposition of EU Directive on copyright in the digital single market. Practice-head Thierry Dor is sought after by French and global clients to advise on the structuring of tech projects and on issues related to outsourcing. Counsel Julien Guinot-Deléry is highly regarded for his expertise in IT projects and related litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘Reactive experts who are always precise and competent.‘
‘High expertise combined with a proactive approach.‘
‘We appreciate Thierry Dor’s pertinent and well thought-out advice.’
‘The TMT team at Gide is always reactive and produces high quality work.‘
‘I appreciate Thierry Dor who demonstrates competent mastery of the subject matter.‘
‘Julien Guinot-Deléry is a remarkable professional.‘
‘The team has exceptional technical know-how in the tech and digital sector.‘
Ile de France Region
- Represented AFP in their procedure against Google before the French Competition Authority regarding the French transposition of EU Directive on copyright in the Digital Single Market.
- Advised the Ile de France Région on all of the data and database-related aspects of Smart Region, its new digital platform for services.
- Advised Michelin on the formation of a strategic partnership with TripAdvisor and its subsidiary TheFork.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
The 'remarkably creative' team at Herbert Smith Freehills LLP has longstanding relationships with several key players in the sector including Twitter, YouTube, and Google. Advising on major IT projects and disputes, the practice also has deep corporate expertise, with an excellent reputation for transactions in the sector, notably assisting Altran Technologies in its tender offer initiated by Capgemini. Alexandra Néri leads the Paris-based IP and TMT group, with recognised expertise in data protection and information system breaches. Counsel Sébastien Proust, who was praised as 'a creative and technical genius', is highly regarded in the e-commerce space.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very competent in the IT sector, are remarkably creative, with particular skill in data protection and on contentious matters.‘
‘Sébastien Proust is a creative and technical genius. He complements Alexandra Néri well, who is, for her part, a talented negotiator.‘
- Advised Altran Technologies as part of the friendly tender offer initiated by Capgemini on 100% of its share capital and voting rights.
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on the acquisition of 10,700 sites from Iliad in France and in Italy, and from Salt in Switzerland.
- Advised Cellnex Telecom on its strategic agreement with Bouygues Telecom for the construction and roll-out of a national fibre optic network in France.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP advises several leading internet platforms, including Facebook, on the recuperation of domain names. Practice head David Taylor is held in high regard for these cases, sitting as a domain name panellist for the World Intellectual Property Organisation, and also works on general brand protection matters. Etienne Drouard, who joined the firm from K&L Gates LLP in February 2020, is another key contact, specialising in privacy and data protection. Litigator Christine Gateau is a name to note for contentious data matters and product liability cases.
CIVC, CNAOC, EFOW (Wine producing groups) alongside the European Commission and the French government
GROUPE CANAL +
- Advised and assisted Facebook with the recuperation of domain names.
- Helped secure a final win for Google before the French Administrative Supreme Court in a case relating to the ‘right to be forgotten’.
- Advised several major internet companies on draft French or European pieces of legislation.
Recommended for its 'technical mastery of the subject matter and its human-centred values', boutique firm ITLAW Avocats has deep experience in data, internet, IT and IP law. The team is particularly active in negotiating IT and digital contracts and also conducts software audits on behalf of both licensees and editors. On the cybersecurity side, the department intervenes in preventative and crisis management cases related to security breaches. Founding and managing partner Claudia Weber is recognised for leading complex IT projects and her experience in digital marketing, contracts, e-health and data protection. Also in the leadership group, Odile Jami-Caston, Arthur Poirier and Pauline Vital are prominent, while associates Jean-Christophe Ienné and Marine Hardy are further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Christophe Ienné; Marine Hardy
‘Very close to its clients, innovative advice and deep understanding of tech contracts.‘
‘A team with rare qualities. Human focused, good values and emotional intelligence.‘
‘Flexible and agile team.‘
‘Claudia Weber is accessible, reactive and knowledgeable.‘
’I highly recommend ITLaw Avocats due to its technical mastery of the subject matter and its human-centred values.‘
‘The team at ITLaw is truly multidisciplinary.‘
‘The team is always interested in properly understanding the way the client works which makes them an efficient partner.‘
‘Claudia Weber is one of those rare people who constantly anticipate the evolution of the market.‘
Vinci Energies Systèmes d’Information
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations
Louvre Hotels Group
Digital Transformation Office (Bureau de la Transformation Digitale)
Licensing Office (Bureau des Licences)
Security Office (Bureau de la Sécurité)
- Representing the Assemblée Nationale in the negotiations of the renewal of its license and maintenance agreement.
- Advised Vinci Energies Systèmes on the legal issues and the contractual architecture to be favoured against the company Accenture.
- Assisted Vinci Energies with the drafting and negotiation of three contracts.
Jones Day assists a mix of domestic and international corporations, banks and tech providers. The practice has recognised strength in data protection, outsourcing and e-commerce and is also active in the implementation of major IT projects, providing regulatory advice to Sigfox on the requirements for operating a service allowing customers to install micro base stations to connect their IoT devices. Olivier Haas, who holds two engineering degrees, is a recognised specialist in the fields of cybersecurity, IT, IP, e-commerce and data protection. Rémy Fekete is another key name, particularly active in telecoms mandates.
‘The Jones Day French TMT team has a strong experience working in Africa and providing advice that mixes legal and business aspects.‘
‘Rémy Fekete is very good at stepping back from purely legal issues and presenting the underlying alternative high-level options that could be considered.‘
‘Jones Day has a worldwide and seamless coverage of IT and Internet-related matters. The team is very proactive and manages to combine in-depth technical knowledge of the legal issues with sound, pragmatic advice.‘
‘They understand our business needs really well and proactively reach out to us, depending on the latest developments in the legal arena, in order to provide their recommendations.‘
‘Olivier Haas has a deep knowledge of all legal issues in the field of IT, Internet and data protection. Leveraging his unique scientific background for a lawyer, he is highly responsive and manages delivering sound and business-oriented advice even on the most technical matters.‘
‘Deep understanding of the TMT space.‘
‘Helicopter view combined with a sense of detachment and integrity.‘
‘They have made it very easy for us to track our licenses and have managed a shared resource that helps us pull the information from their platform at any time of our convenience.‘
Caisse des dépôts et consignations
- Providing regulatory advice to Sigfox on the requirements for operating and marketing a service allowing customers to install micro base stations to connect their IoT devices.
- Advising Orange on the conditions under which it may bring a legal action before Moroccan courts against Maroc Telecom in relation to the unbundling of the local loop and access to other infrastructure.
- Assisted IBM with the launch of a new service consisting in a software-defined wide area network (SD-WAN) spanning more than 80 countries for its global clients.
Jean-Luc Juhan is in charge at Latham & Watkins. The team advises large multinational companies, many of them in the luxury goods sector, on the full range of regulatory, transactional and contentious matters. The practice offers a proven track record in outsourcing, fintech, IoT, systems integration and cloud computing matters. Other areas of expertise include data protection and compliance law. Juhan focuses on technology transactions and industrial partnership contracts, several of them involving the integration of alternative payment and blockchain solutions.
'Reactive and understanding perfectly the constraints on businesses', Latournerie Wolfrom Avocats is retained by a mix of public and private clients ranging from international corporations to tech providers and start-ups. Active in e-commerce, data protection, telecoms and IT mandates, the team is increasingly called on to advise on innovative technologies, including AI. In a recent highlight, the team assisted the French government with the drafting and negotiation of various IT agreements including SaaS licences. Marie-Hélène Tonnellier heads the group alongside public law expert Térence Cabot. Data privacy specialist Charlotte Barraco-David is a further key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘It’s a very experienced team with great strength in depth. For the English client, their approach is just what you would expect of a major London law firm – highly responsive, practical and with excellent communication skills.‘
‘Marie-Helene Tonnelier heads the team and is a real star. I would say she is one of the best technology lawyers in Europe and certainly in France.‘
‘The team is particularly skilled negotiating IT contracts, appearing in litigation and advising on GDPR issues. Pragmatic and high-value for counsel.‘
‘The team is available, pragmatic and knowledgeable.‘
‘Reactive and understanding perfectly the constraints on businesses the department mobilises all the resources necessary to bring a project to fruition.‘
‘I’m impressed with Marie-Hélène Tonnellier’s team. Their IP and data protection expertise is always concrete and workable.‘
‘Full mastery of the technical legal elements, in particular related to telecommunications.‘
The State of Burkina Faso
Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC)
CNOP (Conseil national de l’Ordre des Pharmaciens)
DRONE RACING LEAGUE
Eure Normandie Numérique
Expleo (ex Assystem)
European Space Agency
Free, Free Mobile
Galeries Lafayette Group
The State of Gabon
Kerudys (ex SVP Group)
Paris la Défense
Région Auvergne Rhone Alpes
Région Grand Est
Relais & Chateaux
Ville de Saint-Etienne
- Assisted Bolloré Group with all its issues relating to GDPR compliance.
- Advised Kapten on IT agreements and personal data issues.
- Assisting a Government Ministry with the drafting and negotiation of various IT agreements, notably SaaS Licences.
The 'competent, reactive, efficient and rigorous team' at LPA-CGR avocats' is active in compliance, data privacy and e-commerce mandates. The group represents clients in line with the firm's core focus on real estate and energy. In particular, the department is developing its presence in the green energy space and was retained by Greenflex to draft its grouping agreement in relation to intelligent house and energy consumption data. Practice head Prudence Cadio is experienced in auditing personal data processing systems.
‘A competent, reactive, efficient and rigorous team, performing at a high level and with capabilities on both contentious, IP and digital matters.‘
‘Prudence Cadio quickly identifies problems and how to solve them. She is a valued partner to our team.‘
EBS Isolation – EBS Energie
MY MONEY BANK
CAISSE DES DEPOTS ET CONSIGNATIONS
- Advising Bulb on the compliance of its activity with IT contract negotiation with service providers in implementing KPI and devices for determining activity performances.
- Implemented EBS Isolation’s GDPR compliance programme and assisted the client with drafting and negotiating an IT agreement.
- Assisted Greenflex with IP and IT issues.
Providing clients with 'expert advice delivered in a concise and commercial style', Norton Rose Fulbright advises clients on major IT transactions, with experience including business process outsourcing, cloud service providers, and payment solution players. As part of a global offering the practice is well placed to advise on cross-border mandates and notably assisted Digicel with the regulatory and contractual elements of its deal with Free in the West Indies. Clients also benefit from the group's data protection and cybersecurity expertise. Leading the team, Nadège Martin is highly sought after for outsourcing and transactional advice by clients in a broad range of sectors such as energy, life sciences, transport and distribution.
‘Sharp skills, an ability to detect in detail the legal consequences that could arise, a keen and very precise sense of legal argumentation, a very secure organization to support the client whatever the circumstances and a wide availability for any request or question.‘
‘Detailed invoicing with a precise summary of the facts giving rise to invoicing, periodic sending of invoices with account balance, adaptation to the digital tools used by the customer.‘
‘Nadège Martin is a remarkable lawyer, very adaptable with a deep technical understanding.‘
‘Expert advice delivered in a concise and commercial style.‘
‘Willing to work with our requirements and systems.‘
Crédit Agricole Payment Services
Crédit Mutuel /Euro Information Telecom
- Advised Digicel group, a Caribbean telecommunications operator, on all telecom aspects (from both a contractual and regulatory perspective) of the creation of a joint venture with the French group Iliad.
- Assisting Crédit Agricole Payment Services (CAPS) with the implementation of Apple Pay mobile payment service within the Crédit Agricole group.
- Advising Crédit Mutuel and Euro-Information, a Crédit Mutuel group company, on all telecom, IT, IP and data protection aspects (from both a contractual and regulatory perspective) in relation to the sale of Euro-Information Telecom (EIT) to Bouygues Telecom.
Osborne Clarke houses a large IT group, well-versed in the implementation of major digital projects, including strategic digital transformation, blockchain and AI. The department is also routinely instructed on contentious matters with recent highlights working on disputes related to cloud computing and agile contracting. Retained by banks, online platforms and French corporations, the team provides a full-service offering; regulatory and transactional mandates are dealt with in-house. The department is co-headed by Béatrice Delmas-Linel, formerly general counsel at Microsoft, Xavier Pican and Claire Bouchenard.
THE POKEMON INTERNATIONAL COMPANY
- Advised Group Casino on the March 2020 launch in Paris region of its new grocery ecommerce platform Monoprix+ based on UK provider Ocado’s technology for robotics and automated warehouses.
- Advised Onepoint on the legal and regulatory framework for the development of the health monitoring platform Copass in the Covid-19 context.
- Assisted Bpifrance with negotiating critical cloud services agreements as part of the company’s digital transformation strategy.
Aramis' team covers the full range of IT related work, with good experience working on pan-European projects. Payment solutions are another key area of expertise; the department is routinely called on by leading banks to assist with the implementation of e-payments. The group also handles litigation and data compliance work. TMT specialist Benjamin May jointly leads the practice alongside counsel David Roche who has strong experience in the fintech sector.
‘Aramis’ team has a deep knowledge of the IT sector regulations and a very pragmatic approach which focus on the issues that really create value for its client.‘
Le Crédit Lyonnais (LCL)
- Represented Yves Rocher in a litigation brought against a leading software integrator.
- Assisted RTE with its tender process related to the implementation of an AI software designed to help decision making on French electricity networks.
- Provided regular assistance to Natixis, Natixis Payment Solutions and their affiliates regarding their payment and digital projects.
At CMS, Anne-Laure Villedieu is the key name, specialising in IT and data privacy, with good experience appearing before the data protection authorities, on behalf of both domestic and international companies. Start-ups also regularly seek the team's advice, benefiting from CMS' dedicated hub and various partnerships with several universities and incubators. The practice is also retained for regulatory mandates, including compliance, project implementation, e-commerce, and the negotiation of outsourcing agreements. Particularly well-known for advising automobile clients, the department is also active in the banking, insurance, healthcare and media sectors.
‘Calling on CMS allowed us to have sharp specialists in each area of expertise (labour law, banking law, commercial law), with very good coordination between the different lawyers.’
‘CMS assigns the right level of seniority depending on the complexity of the subject to be dealt with, which leads to good value for money.‘
‘Very high reactivity, adapted to our start-up environment.‘
‘Friendly team, attentive to the client.’
- Represented Sage France in disputes against a hosting provider in charge of hosting Sage’s solutions.
- Advised CTS EVENTIM group on its partnership with the Fnac Darty group.
- Assisted Deliveroo with the IT aspects of their day-to-day operations.
Offering 'bespoke advice', boutique technology firm DBC Avocats is increasingly active in digitalisation mandates, in particular in SaaS and cloud services projects. Active in the insurance, healthcare and beverage sectors, the practice is led by the 'commercial and pragmatic' Alexandre Le Peru, who is an expert in both IP and IT law. Large IT projects continue to make up the bulk of the work, but data protection matters are also handled. The department has implemented a fully integrated software application to make it easier for clients to disclose warnings and recommendations in relation to project management.
‘DBC offers a high level of commitment in the treatment of cases on which we have been brought to collaborate.‘
‘Alexandre Le Peru is very present in the field, constantly ensures the quality of the work and is involved throughout the file. His sector knowledge and technical expertise make him a great professional.’
‘They are very reactive and have a full understanding of our business’ interests.‘
‘Alexandre Le Peru stands out for his ability to adapt to any situation and context. He is always available to help.‘
‘Bespoke advice due to excellent knowledge of our business.‘
‘Alexandre Le Peru’s knowledge of the Technology sector and his application of the law in relation to our business is excellent. Advice given is also very commercial and pragmatic.‘
‘Excellent team, young and dynamic. Excellent skill and responsiveness. Extreme professionalism in dealing with clients.‘
‘Business-oriented and pragmatic opinions. Absolute confidence in the advice given by Alexandre Le Peru.‘
DS Avocats gained capabilities in litigation, software and e-commerce through its merger with boutique IP and IT firm Staub & Associés in October 2019 and continued to assist clients with the implementation of innovative technologies, including AI. The team is well versed in negotiating integration and outsourcing contracts and also advises on software and database development, cloud computing and GDPR compliance. New co-head Sylvain Staub is an IT contract law specialist, and founder of Data Legal Drive, a SaaS platform for managing GDPR compliance for SMEs, mid-caps and large accounts. Also leading the team, Antoine Gravereaux is a go-to for digital transformation work. Catherine Verneret and Bertrand Potot are further key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Catherine Verneret; Bertrand Potot
The solutions proposed by boutique IT/IP firm Luzi Avocats 'are always pragmatic and take into account operational constraints'. Representing a range of domestic companies, including in the financial services, healthcare, engineering and software sectors, the practice is well experienced in negotiating technology contracts and implementing innovative IT projects. Litigation is also dealt with, as are software licence audits and data privacy matters. Founding partner Olivia Luzi specialises in IT and privacy law.
‘The firm adapts to our pace of operation. Great listening and understanding of our needs and expectations. We work with full confidence.‘
‘This team is very responsive and always available. The firm’s organisation makes it possible to know who the main interlocutor is, but the whole department is nevertheless aware of the file.‘
‘Boutique law firm with subject experts in IT contracting and data privacy regulations. The team is pragmatic, highly result- and production-oriented, no red tape.‘
‘Luzi Avocats is very efficient in both online meetings and physical meetings. They have all documentation accessible online.‘
‘Olivia Luzi is top of the bill. Fluent in French and English, excellent listener and negotiator, pragmatic and result-driven. Protects her clients from unneccessary contractual risks and liabilities.‘
‘The solutions proposed are always pragmatic and take into account operational constraints, including the drafting of templates and the negotiation of IT contracts. The firm also sends us regular monitoring focused on our issues.‘
‘Olivia Luzi not only has a perfect technical mastery in computer law and personal data, but also offers a pragmatic approach to issues, taking into account our operational constraints.‘
‘Luzi Avocats is without a doubt one of the very best French IT firms.‘
‘Excellent team familiar with market practices and well known in the negotiation of IT contracts and data privacy compliance.‘
CNCC – Compagnie nationale des commissaires aux comptes
SQILLS PRODUCT BV
ZETURF / ZEBET
FEDERATION FRANCAISE DU BATIMENT
TRAVELDOO (Expedia Group)
- Advised OVHClou, on the launch of its BtoB marketplace.
- Advising SQILLS Product, active in public transport sales, reservation and distribution software, on the drafting and negotiation of a major licence and implementation agreement in a public tender issued by the Swedish Rail company.
- Advised Biogaran on the drafting and negotiation of several IT contracts.
Pwc Société d'Avocats
Well-known for its expertise in the field of data privacy, Pwc Société d'Avocats houses a full-service IT practice, with capabilities spanning digitalisation, e-commerce, and blockchain. The department has also developed a strong offering in relation to cybersecurity, recently launching a range of collaborative tools and training sessions in the form of cyber-attack simulations. More routine work includes negotiating and drafting IT contracts, including for outsourcing and cloud computing services. Sandrine Cullaffroz-Jover is in charge.
Racine focuses on three areas, with recognised expertise in digitalisation, data protection and litigation. Contentious work centres around the protection of concepts, algorithms, trade marks and patents. Eric Barbry is the key name and retained by a mix of international and domestic clients, notably for assistance with their digital transformation.
‘The IT and Internet department is of an outstanding level in terms of experience, sound advice and innovation in the approach and processing of cases.‘
‘Its depth of expertise is judged above all in its ability to synthesize recommendations that are personalized and contextualized and therefore relevant.‘
‘The commitment of our counsel Eric Barbry is an undeniable quality which allows us to have unfailing support and allows us to work in a context of unparalleled trust.‘
Taylor Wessing represents a mix of blue chip global brands, start-ups, and small enterprises with novel business models and technologies. Specialised in IT transactional matters, including outsourcing, cloud computing, SaaS, and licensing, the department also houses a robust contentious team, headed by Philippe Glaser. Litigation undertaken by this group typically covers exit strategies and ADR procedures. The department also advises clients with the launch of their internet platforms, including on user-generated content and hosting liability issues. Another key area of expertise is data privacy, especially regarding breaches and losses; Valérie Aumage is the key name for these matters. Marc Schuler leads the IP/IT side of the practice.
- Advising EUROPCAR on the drafting and negotiation of a number of IT agreements.
- Assisting COMCAST with its business model transformation project in relation to its programmatic services platform from a contractual as well as privacy standpoint.
- Advising Tik Tok on several issues in relation to the exploitation of its platform.
White & Case LLP's practice advises on the full range of transactional IT issues for a diverse client list, including multinational corporates, PE firms and start-ups. Well-known for its expertise in the area of data protection, the team is also adept at handling litigation, notably advising Facebook in relation to several contentious matters outside of the US. As part of an integrated full-service global offering, the department is able to call on experts from competition, IP and corporate practice groups in 16 countries, which include the UK and Germany. Practice head Bertrand Liard, whose 'client-centric approach' is particularly valued, is a skilled litigator. Clara Hainsdorf is a key contact for IP, e-commerce and commercial contracts work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Bertrand Liard has a particularly appreciable client-centric approach. With his team, he offers his expertise in a relevant and pragmatic way.‘
Agence Française de Développement (AFD)
- Advising Facebook on pre-litigation and litigation matters affecting its social network activities outside the US.
- Advising AFD on the negotiation of several IT agreements.
- Advising Natixis on several digitalisation and regulatory-driven technology matters, including their project on digitalisation of the workplace, the acquisition of cloud services for PRIIPs compliance purposes, and privacy and personal data protection issues regarding compliance with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
‘The team is highly professional and very responsive.‘
Richemont International Ltd.
- Assisted several companies of the international luxury group Richemont with obtaining the shutdown of various websites that offered counterfeit luxury watches.
- Advised the Coopérative de Distribution des Quotidiens (CDQ) on the takeover of Presstalis’ assets and activities.
‘We were very impressed by the team.‘
‘Artemont has a very good knowledge of the sector and is well connected to some of the industry leaders. They therefore deliver tailored and pragmatic advice, always in line with the clients’ expectations.‘
‘Farid Bouguettaya is an expert in this sector. I very often recommend him to my clients who are always satisfied with his availability and his considerable human and professional qualities.‘
‘Artemont is one of the few firms that has the capacity to work efficiently and very professionally on a number of extremely diverse and varied subjects.‘
‘Farid Bouguettaya knew how to take the time to understand our business and to help us in an awesome way so as to have a competitive advantage rather than a constraint.’
Paris Fashion Shops
‘The team is very professional and shows great legal skills. The team is also very flexible and available. They manage to prioritize and always deliver on time.‘
‘The firm offers affordable fees for a very effective involvement. BEHRING is a true alternative to major internal law firms in this area.‘
‘Anne-Solène Gay is very helpful to make sure that we close our deals by having a very constructive approach while securing our contractual rights.‘
‘Behring’s strength is based on its founder’s capability and will always assist you at the highest possible level of quality. Anne-Solène Gay is always proactive and when she takes care of a task, she always reminds you of your own part of the job.‘
‘The most valuable person is Anne-Solène Gay. She is an extremely talented lawyer understanding technical subjects perfectly. Her colleagues benefit from her experience and her ability to take care of her clients’ needs.‘
SWISS POST SOLUTIONS
LA MAISON BLANCHE
WEST AFRICAN ECONOMIC AND MONETARY UNION (WAEMU)
GOVERNMENT OF TOGO
GOVERNMENT OF CHAD
GOVERNEMENT OF CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- Legal counsel of SWISS POST SOLUTIONS, advising on data protection regulation and GDPR compliance.
- Assisting QOVOLTIS with various matters such as: IT contracts drafting and negotiation; drafting general terms and conditions for online subscription and subscription via Internet and a mobile application; data protection matters.
- Carrying out an assessment of public policies and national regulations on telecommunications and digital technology on behalf of WAEMU.
Cohen & Gresser LLP
‘Good understanding of the industry; very responsive, advice to the point.‘
- Assisting Alfresco with contract negotiations with major corporate accounts, including: banks, major telecom actors and major French firms.
- Advising Altares on most of the strategic matters of the group, including pre-litigation discussions regarding data management.
- Advising Cisco on certain strategic software distribution issues and litigation.
Deprez Guignot Associés
- Advised Groupe M6 on a strategic merger called ‘SALTO’, creating a full-function joint venture company between the three major TV channels in France.
- Defending a search engine in litigation concerning GDPR.
- Advised la FEDERATION COUTURE on the set-up the first Online Digital Fashion Week.
Eversheds Sutherland (France) LLP
‘The team has a good understanding and experience of the data centre industry.‘
‘Vincent Denoyelle is the Paris partner who helps us with a lot of issues. He is pragmatic and honest and able to bring in other people from the firm.‘
Tata Consultancy Services
France Télévisions and France Télévisions Publicité
‘This team is hugely commercial. They work quickly and remove blockers to help the team they are supporting reach their goals.‘
‘Sabine Deloges is a fantastic outside counsel partner and has become an expert in our business. She knows which issues are red flags for us and when to flag them. She suggests training in areas of weakness for the team and delivers practical training with high engagement.‘
‘Ability to problem solve and reach agreement on difficult commercial issues. Understanding of IT contracting practical and legal issues.‘
‘The team is professional, reactive and specialised.‘
‘Always available and providing excellent counsel.‘
CEED (Centre Européen d’Etude du Diabète)
UNION SPORT ET CYCLE
MEDAPPCARE / DEKRA
- Assisting healthcare software developers Moon with the implementation of their projects and understanding the applicable legal requirements.
- Assisted telecommunications operator Hub One with transactions and regulatory advice.
- Assisted Bollinger with the drafting of its information system outsourcing contract.
Glory Global Solutions
Everybody On Deck
- Assisting Computacenter with the acquisition of the domestic activities of BTS, the French subsidiary of BT Group.
- Assisting Japanese multinational Glory Ltd with a major investment in French company Acrelec.
- Assisting Malwarebytes, an editor of security software, before the International Chamber of the Commercial Court of Paris after it was sued in January 2018 by Enigma Software Group.
K&L Gates LLP
‘Skilled technical lawyers with excellent industry knowledge.‘
‘Claude-Étienne Armingaud possesses excellent technical legal skills with a sensible practical commercial approach which comes through unrivalled knowledge of the sector.‘
‘Claude-Étienne Armingaud is the best at what he does, plain and simply.‘
‘The team covers the full range of work in IT law.‘
‘The IT team provides no-nonsense pragmatic advice.‘
‘Claude-Étienne Armingaud has a sharp understanding of the ins and outs of the IT sector and is extremely reactive. He also has outstanding interpersonal skills.‘
Carnegie Mellon University
Fraudsec Pty Ltd/ Whispli
World Organisation for Animal Health
- Assisting AR24 with drafting the contractual documentation both for end-users/consumers and corporate partners; advising on its GDPR compliance.
- Assisting Enigma Software with litigation against competitor Malwarebytes, pertaining to the classification of two of their software programs as potentially unwanted programs.
- Assisting Sloclap with securing the financing, publishing and distribution of its second video game with an expected release in August 2021.
Gabonese Strategic Investment Fund (FGIS)
- Advised the Gabonese Strategic Investment Fund on the negotiation of a contract relating to the migration of a computer system containing software.
- Advised ASIP Santé on several IT, IP and open data issues.
- Assisting BOCCARD with a litigation against an IT services provider, particularly for breaches to its precontractual and contractual information, serious delays implementing the solution, and project management issues.
‘Gilles Rouvier is extremely skilled in relation to both IP and GDPR. Highly comptetent lawyer.‘
‘Small, efficient , eactive and experienced team.‘
‘Competent team led by Gilles Rouvier who is an expert in IT law.‘
‘Available and pragmatic.‘
‘Very client-focused. High level of expertise combined with excellent customer service.‘
‘Gilles Rouvier stood out for me on the basis of his high level of expertise combined with excellent customer service. Very good value for service.‘
‘Firm with a strong entrepreneurial spirit.‘
‘Able to secure robust, trustworthy and long-term relationships with its clients.’
VALIANTYS SOFTWARE (ELEMENTS)
AXA GROUP SOLUTIONS
LE FONDS DE DOTATION MERCI
- Advised Leboncoin Group on the IP & IT aspects of its acquisition of the Argus Group.
- Advised IPSEN on the roll-out of a new IT platform for the management of pharmaceutical packaging artworks.
- Advised AXA Group Solutions on the drafting of 20 intra-group contracts with over 17 software companies.
Lerins & BCW
‘The team is engaged in properly understanding the needs of its clients. Very reactive and anticipating our needs well.‘
‘They have developed a deep relationship with our team, are always frank and agreeable.‘
‘Mathilde Croze is remarkable.‘
‘They are competent, available and act quickly for their clients. A pleasure to work with.‘
‘Fluid cooperation between partners and teams, with a good understanding of the subject matter.‘
‘Mathilde Croze knows the sector inside out, with a good appreciation of the mechanics of the market.‘
- Advising ActiveViam on developing its End User License Agreement based on an Open Source model.
- Assisting Insideboard with the drafting of its IT partnership agreement.
- Assisting Lafarge with its contractual offer for a road raw material sourcing SaaS platform.
Pinsent Masons LLP
‘The team, led by Annabelle Richard, is always available, competent, reactive and efficient. They are well integrated in our organisation and actively participate in our strategic development.‘
‘Annabelle Richard is competent across the whole subject matter and always anticipates our needs.‘
Vercken & Gaullier
FNCF (Fédération Nationale des Cinémas Français)
- Advised a telecommunications operator in the context of a sanction proceeding brought by the French Data Protection Authority (CNIL) following a security breach.
- Assisted a high security optical solutions company with the negotiation of a software license agreement.
- Assisted a video game developer with drafting a service and rights assignment contract for the development of a video game.
Walter Billet Avocats
‘The practice is distinguished by its deep knowledge of the sector and technical legal skills.‘
‘Alan Walter possesses an operational and financial vision which is highly appreciated.‘
‘Alan Walter’s team always takes the time to understand our strategic requirements so as to provide pertinent and relevant advice.‘
‘Alan Walter is highly intelligent and always understands the needs of his clients.‘
‘Always listen, reliable, competent and adaptable. It’s a pleasure to work with Walter Billet.‘
‘Alan Walter has a unique understanding of both law and technology. His curiosity and enthusiasm make him a real asset.‘
‘The team is works very independently and considers the business interest, which becomes visible by the team providing pragmatic advise.‘
‘I work with Alan Walter, who has a very hands-on mentality and knows our business very well.‘
Coflec (Groupe DEF)
Framatome (Areva NP)
Hôtel des ventes de l’orléanais
La Fabrique by CA (Crédit Agricole)
Make Fashion Studio
Players Paris (formerly Starloo Media)
Social Media Club France
VSB Energies Nouvelles
Yellow Korner France
VSB énergies nouvelles
- Advised FillnDrive on the contractual structure (and contractual drafting) of its services rendered to mobility operators and fill-up stations operators.
- Advised CAMCA Courtage on the renegotiation of a large-scale IT project.
- Advised Framatome on the assessment of the compliance of its processes, suppliers and sub-contractors as regards the hosting of health-related personal data.