Shipping and transport in Estonia
Ellex advises on a wide range of matters in the shipping space, including high-value transactions, financing, regulatory compliance, insurance, and public procurement matters, and is also active in disputes disputes. Clients are drawn from the shipping, aviation, rail, and road industries, and are in the public and private sectors. The firm's Baltic reach enables it to act on cross-border issues, including acting for the Estonian Ministry of Finance and RailBaltic, two parties involved in the Tallinn-Helsinki tunnel project. The practice is led by experienced litigator and arbitrator Toomas Vaher.
Graanul Invest AS
Tallink Grupp AS
Sportland International Group AS
Eesti Gaas AS
Rail Baltic Eesti OÜ
Magnetic MRO AS
- Advising the Port of Sillamäe on the construction of its terminal area.
- Advised AS LHV Varahaldus and AS LHV Pank on the €10m financing of the lease of an aircraft by national airline Nordica.
- Advising Rail Baltic Eesti OÜ on the construction of the Tallinn terminal for the Rail Baltic project.
Sorainen handles a varied workload, including financing, regulatory compliance, and governmental work. The team is also active in disputes and trouble asset proceedings, acting for clients from the aviation and rail industries. Other work includes innovative transport-related matters, including advising ride-hailing app Bolt, as well as several other clients seeking to innovate within the transport industry. The practice is led by Kaupo Lepasepp, an expert in administrative and competition law with a specific focus on the rail sector. Senior associate Cathriin Torop is highly regarded.
Lux Express AS
Finnair Aircraft Finance Oy
Toyota Baltic AS
Airo Catering Services OÜ
Auto 100 AS
- Acted for Finnair Aircraft Finance Oy on the recovery of four Embraer E170 aircraft from the bankruptcy estate of Estonian Air.
- Advising FinEst Bay Area Development on the planning phase of the Helsinki-Tallinn railway tunnel.
TGS Baltic acts for clients in all relevant sectors, including rail, aviation, road, shipping, fishing, and public transportation. Matters include administrative and criminal disputes, bankruptcy proceedings, transactions, and regulatory advice. The practice is led by 'outstanding' senior associate Martti Peetsalu, a specialist in litigation, restructuring, and insolvency within the shipping and transportation industries. The team advised Royal Vopak N.V and Global Ports Investments PLC on the sale of oil terminal operator Vopak to Abu Dhabi-based Liwathon, a complex deal with Baltic-wide implications. Kristina Laarmaa is now with Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law.
Port of Tallinn
Operail (formerly EVR Cargo)
Mediterranean Shipping Company (MSC)
Hellmann Worldwide Logistics
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
- Advising TTS Marine AB on the bankruptcy procedure of E-Profiil.
- Advised Royal Vopak N.V and Global Ports Investments PLC on the sale of shares in Vopak E.O.S, the largest independent oil terminal operator in the Baltics, to Abu Dhabi-based Liwathon.
Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff leads the team at FORT, which has a core focus advising clients in the aviation and logistics industries on planning and restructuring issues alongside handling disputes in the transport space. Highlights included acting for Samat in challenging the Estonian government's introduction of free public transport.
Balti Bussi Grupp
Loading Systems International BV
IVECO Czech Republic AS
Teede Tehnokeskus AS
- Representing Samat in a dispute with Harju County Public Transport Centre relating to the Estonian government’s introduction of free public transport.
- Advising Hansabuss Group on its restructuring.
- Successfully defended Alfons Hakans in an investigation by the Estonian Competition Authority into alleged excessive pricing of Alfons Hakans’ harbour towage services in Estonian ports.
TARK advises a range of clients from the rail, aviation, maritime, and motor industries. Clients include Nordic Aviation Group and state-owned company Estonian Railways. Tanel Küün leads the practice, which advises on M&A, distribution agreements and regulatory issues.
Nordic Aviation Group
HHLA TK ESTONIA AS
DSV Transport AS
AS Eesti Raudtee
AS Tallinna Lennujaam
- Advised Autospirit on the acquisition of Ascar.
- Advised Nordica on the purchase of aircraft from Falko Group.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
Toomas Taube leads the practice at WALLESS (former Derling Primus), which acts for a wide range of clients on wet and dry shipping matters, transport and infrastructure projects, and transactions in the shipping and aviation industries. A standout matter was the sale of the Port of Kunda to BMLG, in which the team advised selling party HeidelbergCement on the first sale of an entire port in Estonia. The team's transactional capability is evident in Rolan Jankelevitsh's work, while other matters include financing, contractual, and logistical advice, particularly related to shipping and maritime clients.
Gazpromneft Marine Bunker
Paldiski Sadamate AS
TrVh Collateral Agent
Remontowa Ship Repair Yard
- Advised Kunda Nordic Tsement (part of HeidelbergCement group) on the sale of the Port of Kunda to BMLG.
- Advising OÜ Adepte on the reconstruction and expansion of Varese Port.
- Advising TrVh Collateral Agent on financing the acquisition of two Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft for the state-owned Estonian flag carrier Nordica.
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co represents numerous clients within the waste transportation, aviation, rail, and public transport industries in litigation. Recent work includes challenging environmental regulations for waste transportation clients, and representing bus company Atko in a public procurement dispute. The practice is led by Toomas Pikamäe, who specialises in drafting transport agreements and representing in transportation-based disputes.
AS Eesti Keskkonnateenused
Atko Bussiliinid AS
Estonian Waste Management Association
Baltic Group International
- Drafted the agreement between Ekogaisma and a transport company for the transport of lamp waste from Estonia to a waste treatment facility in Finland.
KPMG Law in Estonia
Kristina Laarmaa joined Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law from TGS Baltic, bringing her impressive expertise in public procurement to the firm's shipping and transport practice. Laarmaa represents four out of nine Estonian public transportation centres, comprising over half of Estonia's population, in public procurement proceedings, primarily concerning regional bus services.
‘Strong understanding and knowledge about procurement. Fast and responsive, they’re like part of your own team.‘
North Estonia Public Transportation Centre
Pärnumaa Public Transportation Centre
Valgamaa Public Transportation Centre
Ida- Virumaa Public Transportation Centre
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
- Representing four out of nine regional public transportation centres in public procurement proceedings.
The practice at LEXTAL works primarily on cross-border shipping and transport disputes, alongside public sector tendering work for several municipalities. Olavi-Jüri Luik and Alar Urm are the practice heads.
Logitrans Consult OU
Alliku Grupp OÜ
Tallinna Linnatranspordi AS
RASK Attorneys-at-Law specialises in aviation work, advising and representing several notable airlines and suppliers including British Airways and Magnetic MRO. The firm also acts for clients in other transport disciplines, with work including procurement disputes, general advice, and financing. In recent work, the group successfully represented Kihnu Veeteed in a multimillion-euro procurement case. The practice is led by transaction specialist Timo Kullerkupp, who specialises in advisory and financing work.
‘Very experienced and motivated team.’
British Airways PLC
Magnetic MRO AS
Smartlynx Airlines Estonia OÜ
Kihnu Veeteed AS
Ridango AS Air Baltic Corporation AS
Pärnu Sadam AS
- Representing British Airways plc in consumer-related disputes in the Republic of Estonia.
- Advising Magnetic MRO on changes to the Aviation Act.
- Representing Kihnu Veeteed in a large public procurement dispute.