Ellex is a leading firm with specialised IP experience. The team engages in work related to registration matters, trade marks and copyrights and infringement disputes. The team also represents clients in a number of major cases, including complicated IP prosecution projects and advising global players in their IP strategies. Ants Nõmper is a widely recognised property and IT law expert and handles complex matters with innovative aspects. Mari Must specialises in all aspects of trade marks including prosecution, transactional work, oppositions, cancellation, litigation and enforcement at domestic and EU levels. Merlin Liis-Toomela works on all aspects of data protection, IP rights and IT law.
IP, IT and telecoms in Estonia
Other key lawyers:
Mari Must; Merlin Liis-Toomela
Telia Eesti AS
Bayer Pharma AG
The Estonian Authors’ Society
Meta Platforms, Inc.
Estonian National Broadcasting
- Advising and representing the Estonian Authors’ Society on an ongoing basis in connection with compensation of damages for unauthorised use of copyrighted works, the largest compensations reaching over 600000 EUR.
- Advising NPM Silmet OÜ in a patent dispute initiated by Rhodia Operations S.A.S.
- Representing Bayer Pharma AG in three parallel proceedings concerning the infringement of the client’s patent for an anti-cancer drug that uses sorafenib as its active ingredient.
Sorainen has a strong track record for IP-related matters, covering portfolio management, trade mark registration work, complex disputes and domain name registrations, acting for both Baltic and international clients. The team is well-placed to support on matters which intersect competition and regulatory law and is home to Kaupo Lepasepp, a specialist in IP transfers, the protection of confidential information and unfair competition matters. Mihkel Miidla has a focus on internet, communications and technology affairs and is the go-to man on all issues related to GDPR, telecom and IT-related matters. Mirell Prosa is noteworthy for her deep understanding of corporate and data protection law, regulatory, intellectual property and M&A. Olivia Kranich advises clients in a range of different services including patents, copyrights, pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Kaupo Lepasepp; Mihkel Miidla
Other key lawyers:
Mirell Prosa; Olivia Kranich
‘The practice is very dedicated to the client’s needs and has the business of the client in its mind when advising.’
‘The team is highly qualified and available to assist at short notice. The firm is actively engaging clients in business development and looking for personal feedback on how to be of more assistance (tech and services wise).’
‘The practice has a personal approach to every case and defines the relevant matters for the client. Understands the nature of our business and as well adapts to the client’s working hours by being available outside the normally expected working hours.’
‘Team is well informed and balanced – good commercial knowledge.’
‘Pure professionals, from the initial contact until final billing.’
Estonian Film Industry Cluster
The Temnikova & Kasela Art Gallery
- Advised Innovaatik, a major provider of healthcare management software solutions for dental and veterinary clinics in Estonia, on ensuring the compliance of its software and preparing contractual terms for its use.
- Advised the Estonian Film Industry Cluster on various legal matters, including the planned reform of actors’ rights led by the Association of Professional Actors in Estonia.
Cobalt covers the full spectrum of IP, IT and regulatory issues, with a specialism in patent litigation, regularly engaging in work related to data privacy, trade mark law. Egon Talur is experienced in advising clients in IP assets restructuring, and in the design and implementation of tax efficient business structures. Viive Kaur advises clients on various IP projects, such as advising the establishment of an organisation for a new collective representation system for authors in Estonia. Anna Kosar has extensive experience and knowledge in the field of IP and data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Viive Kaur; Anna Kosar
Mindvalley Inc / Mindvalley OÜ
CybExer Technologies OÜ
Wolfprint 3D OÜ
Starbucks Coffee Company
Unimagined Technologies OÜ / Sustained
- Advising a well-known real estate developer in a dispute with Estonian Data Protection Authority on the requirements of disclosure of their trade secrets.
- Advising an IT-forensics company in their data protection compliance project, drafting relevant process descriptions and template documentation for the specific data processing they are involved in.
- Advising an IT company (leader in their field of activities) in updating their terms of service and other client-facing documentation for individuals and business clients, as well as licences for their partners for using their software.
The ‘experienced’ team at Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co handle copyright, industrial property, data protection and telecoms work; it often advises international and domestic corporations such as Coca-Cola and Samsung, though also caters to smaller entities and private individuals. Tambet Toomela consults clients on various IP-related related matters, such as acquisition, registration, licensing and protection, trade mark disputes and data protection. Erika Tuvike has extensive experience in supporting clients on the division of IP rights in the context of employment relationship and also regularly advises software service providers.
Other key lawyers:
‘Experience of lawyers in the specific legal area and also in the specific industry sector (they have good track record in health care sector). Transparent billing, keeping deadlines. Brings solutions.’
‘Tambet Toomela, fast, offers solutions, experienced on many legal fields, sees connections. Erika Tuvike, very thorough, detailed. Meets deadlines.’
Hedman Partners is proficient in representing technology start-ups in IP and IT-related work, often assisting on optimal licensing models and the establishment of comprehensive IP portfolios. The firm also engages with advice on trade mark registration, terms and conditions and data protection compliance, both in the Baltics and Scandinavian regions. Toomas Seppel is well regarded for his skill at assisting technology start-ups with their licensing model and IP portfolio establishments. Kati Pino stands out for her skill in advising clients on trade mark registration and enforcement, including negotiating co-existing agreements with trade mark owners.
Other key lawyers:
MTÜ Filmi Esmasalvestuse Tootjate Ühing
Arsenal Innovation Lab
Estonian Film Institute
- Advised skincare start-up HautAI on its strategic partnership with Ulta Beauty, the largest beauty retailer in the United States.
- Represented MTÜ Filmi Esmasalvestuse Tootjate Ühing in a precedent-setting dispute against the Ministry of Justice.
LEXTAL‘s IP and IT team operate both domestically and across the Baltics, focusing on data protection, innovative technologies, software development agreements, internet services, trade mark law and copyright law. Rauno Kinkar is a member of the IT/IP Committee of the Estonian Bar Association and provides digital law solutions. Henri Ratnik stands out for his work surrounding legal issues regarding innovative IT matters, IP, web3 and data protection (GDPR).
Other key lawyers:
‘I like the Lextal team for their speed at resolving issues. Our company is a fast growing start-up company that provides services Globally. That means we should get legal support at any moment and this is what makes Lextal unique for the type of companies like we are.’
‘They are super professional, they know bits and pieces of IP, technologies and frame to legal ground. They are super fast responding and taking commitments that keep us safe.’
‘Lextal team is genuinely interested in new technologies and innovative businesses. They don’t give you off-the-shelf solutions but actually take time to dig in and understand the need from the client side.’
Starship Technologies OÜ
Eesti Üliõpilaskondade Liit
Eurora Solutions OÜ
BOLT Technology OÜ
Sidekik Inc and Sidekik OÜ (NFTPOrt)
SALTO X OÜ
GenNet Laboratories AS
Ready Player Me
- Advised Starship Technologies OÜ (and the entire group) in all legal matters in Estonia – including new large deals with local retailers.
- Advised BOLT Technology OÜ in their compliance work on Omnibus directive and general risk assessment and TOS overhaul.
- Advised SALTO X OÜ in negotiations with the Estonian authorities in creating a tokenised option programme.
Magnusson is acclaimed for its work within the Nordic and Baltic regions, advising on data protection, licence agreements, various DLT, crypto assets and currencies, public offerings and other forms of financings. The team is called upon for a number of matters involving cyber fraud disputes and enforcement of rulings on cyber assets in Estonia and other countries. Elvira Tulvik is the head partner and his supported by Mirjam Trisberg, well regarded for her work in IP and media law; she is notably a member of the Tennessee Bar, in addition to the Estonian Bar Association.
Other key lawyers:
Inter Cars S.A. and Inter Cars Estonia OÜ
Elers Medical Finland Oy
KTZL Action Group
Envst United Action
Optimus Enterprise OÜ
Dream Finance OÜ
SEG Management PIY Ltd
P.H. Primary OÜ
Caruma S.p Z.O.O.
- Advising OmniMatrix OÜ belonging to a large multinational group that includes the trade marks OmniMatrix and Nordikcoin and providing virtual currency exchange services.
- Representing over 3000 local and international investors in large class action bankruptcy and criminal proceedings regarding the biggest crowdfunding fraud in the Baltics with claims as high as 18m euros.
- Advising MyLook OÜ, the leading e-commerce company for beauty products in Estonia, on payment processing, provision of credit, data security, intellectual property, marketing and compliance.
NJORD Law Firm advises on a wealth of matters, including IP-related disputes, combatting counterfeited goods and the creation IP strategies. The team also enjoys distinct expertise regarding proactive digital services, digitisation of private and public services, e-signatures, e-identity, authentication and healthcare digitisation. Clients include government agencies, universities and large software development companies. Head of the IP team is Karolina Ullman, who is notably a member of the Swedish Bar. Liisi Jürgen is an expert in IT law and data protection and has advised the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications regarding e-signature and authentication issues.
Karolina Ullman; Liisi Jürgen
Coolbet (VG Estonia OÜ)
Inchcape Motors Estonia OÜ
Promoty Marketing OÜ
Tommi Mäkinen Racing OÜ
- NJORD provides Coolbet with day-to-day legal advice on data protection and technology law. The client’s parent company, GAN Ltd, is listed on the US stock exchange
- Helping the client to fulfil data protection related obligations to establish compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Advised GLE Group on complex data protection issues, which concerns the processing of personal data in fintech solutions, taking into account Estonian, EU and Canadian law.
WALLESS‘s team is one of the oldest and experienced IP, IT and Telecom teams in Estonia, having operated in the market for over twenty years. The firm receives repeat mandates from areas including trade mark infringement matters, anti-counterfeiting actions, customs seizures, and technology-related transactions. The team is headed by Toomas Taube, who represents and advises several intellectual property holders in border enforcement of IP rights and imports compliance, with a long-term experience in trade mark litigation.
HP Hewlett Packard Group LLC
LMT, Latvian Mobile Telephone
Cramo Estonia AS
Ampler Bikes OÜ
Nordic Label Oy Ab and Tilgmann Oy Ab
Modular Technologies OÜ
IPF Digital Estonia AS
- Advising HP Hewlett Packard Group LLC in trade mark infringement and customs interception cases in Estonia.
- Acting as IP rights holder’s contact person in Estonia for Sony Corporation, Vodafone Group Plc, ASICS Europe B.V., Cisco Technology Inc, Cisco Systems International B.V., SRI Sports / Cleveland Golf.
- Assisted up-and-coming travel technology company Turnit upon conclusion of major SaaS agreement with Samtrafiken i Sverige and advises Turnit on various projects around the world.
ALTERNA is led by Annika Vait, who handles IP, IT and telecoms matters, including the development, defence, registration, acquisition and selling of IP rights. The team also focuses on data protection matters, webpage usage policies, preparing IP-related services documentation packages, licenses, franchise agreements and confidentiality matters.
‘The team working in law firm ALTERNA is very knowledgeable, meaning that the legal service offered is professional and of high quality. The team has strong writing ability – the legal documents composed by them are clear and well-reasoned. Furthermore, their creativity is definitely worth mentioning – this helps the clients to find the solutions to the legal issues the clients face, as each matter is unique, and each client is handled differently.’
What I value with communicating law firm ALTERNA is that they use many different modern technological means of communication, including video meetings, and cloud platforms for data sharing. This makes the whole client relationship faster and flexible. The responses for the legal questions are very quick and thorough.’
‘I recommend the partner and attorney-at-law Annika Vait, as she is knowledgeable and excellent legal professional who works towards the client’s aims. When dealing with the client’s matter, she is a logical thinker, and she draws attention to every aspect of it and responses to the client’s question in a way that is easy to understand. Also, Annika pays a lot of attention to the details, as she is focused, and goal orientated.
E-Riigi Akadeemia Sihtasutus
OPTIMO Robotics OÜ
VMT Ehitus AS
KRM Advisor OÜ
Estonian Association for Property Maintenance
Eventus Ehitus OÜ
Uuesalu Arendus OÜ
Narva linn (Narva city)
Baltic Restaurants Estonia OÜ
Opus Development OÜ
BM Certification Estonia OÜ
- Counselling start-up company Optimo Robotics in working out and composing all main business contracts consisting their business secretes (data protection) and licensing the rights.
- Making data protection audit and composing an overview to well-known real estate company.
- Counselling Varatõusja OÜ in negotiation process of buying the rights to publish local newspaper. This deal would have been great value to local social community.
FORT is acclaimed for its work within the telecom sector, where it regularly advises on complex telecom regulatory issues and critical infrastructure matters. The firm is also involved in advising on IT-based innovative solution development projects in the public sector, balancing public service needs and innovation with regulatory and compliance issues. Merit Lind deals with clients in the IT sector, consulting crowdfunding platforms, alternative payment solution providers, start-ups and fintechs.
‘Professional and really operative approach.’
‘Flexible and professional.’
‘Above all, I would recommend Merit Lind for her communication skills in addition to her professional knowledge.’
IT and Development Centre, Ministry of the Interior
Estonian Police and Border Guard Board
Eesti Loto AS
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
The Government Office of the Republic of Estonia
SportID International OÜ
Verifone Baltic SIA Estonian branch
Burfa Media OÜ
- Received a mandate from the Estonian Government (via Police and Border Guard Board) to lead the complex preparations for the upcoming transactions for the development, production and servicing of the new era government-issued electronic identity documents as well as for the set-up of the new trust services trust chain under eIDAS Regulation.
- Advising Aktsiaselts Eesti Loto in IT/IP related matters, projects and disputes, including with the development of various product offerings, cross-border cooperation projects and the purchasing of large-scale IT solutions for the core client’s business.
- Advised EveryPay AS (an IT solution provider for payment services) in the transaction with AS LHV Group in which LHV will acquire 100% of EveryPay shares, for EUR 8 million.
NOVE advises on data protection matters, in additon to trade mark disputes. The firm also participates in legislative drafting in IP and has represented numerous authorities in amendment proposals to the Amendment of the Copyright Act. Mari Past is focused on data protection, competition compliance, medical regulatory and negotiations of complex business deals, while Arsi Pavelts specialises in representing clients in IP, IT and data protection. Key sectors include the film industry, manufacturing, finance and healthcare.
Sten Tikerpe; Mari Past; Mart Parind
‘The team members have knowledge and experience in both the fields of law and IT. What makes the team unique is that they are one of a kind as far as I know in Estonia – no other firm has truly committed to IT law bringing in so many strong experts and committing to bringing transparency to how IT is governed in Estonia.’
‘What makes NOVE unique is that it is hands-on practical experience that Mr Tikerpe in particular possess. This makes him uniquely qualified to truly understand the big picture with its particularities and challenges that perhaps a team of individual specialists would not.’
‘The team that I have worked with is attentive, understand the nuances necessary for business to thrive, are always looking for ways on how things could be possible (in terms of enabling government sector innovation), while at the same time minimizing the risks such undertaking could have. They are professionals in the best sense.’
Estonian Authors’ Society, Estonian Association of Phonogram Producers, Estonian Performers’ Association and Estonian Composers’ Association
Estonian Reform Party
West Tallinn Central Hospital
Law firm Azanda & Associates
Ernst & Young Baltic
- Advised HansaFilm and film producer Armin Karu with regard to production of the record-breaking cinema hit Melchior the Apothecary, the first Estonian film to be streamed on Amazon.
- Advising and representing Värska Vesi AS in resolving disputes regarding the legendary trade mark Värska, a very strong local mineral water brand.
- Advising CIVITTA Estonia, the headquarters of a leading consultancy firm in Central and Eastern Europe and the Nordics, on data protection compliance.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal offer a multidisciplinary approach to IP, IT and data protection matters, combining its core practice with expertise in tax, advisory and assurance competence. Practice head Priit Lätt heads the team and is renowned for representing clients in trade mark and software disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Great service and understanding of the client’s challenges!’
‘Priit Lätt: Good expertise and negotiation skills .’
Estonian Authors Society
Motion Picture Association
Solid World DAO
SK ID Solutions
Estonian E-Residency team
Estonian Actors Union
Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
The North Estonia Medical Centre
Estonian Ministry of Interior’s IT and Development Centre (SMIT)
Rush Street Interactive
- Represented ten collective societies in a dispute with the Estonian Government in relation to the unpaid private copying levies.
- Advised LimeWire to successfully raise $10.4 million in a private sale of its crypto token LMWR.
- Advised a spin-off transaction as a result of which the blockchain-based enterprise Solid World Decentralised Autonomous Organisation (DAO) grew out of the eAgronom startup, which is developing a carbon credits trading programme.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law assists clients in IP-related due diligence exercises, trade mark protection, licensing matters, employment-related IP counselling, document drafting and disputes. Timo Kullerkupp, who also specialises in IT law, consults clients on complex sector-specific regulations and is the head legal advisor in a new Estonian deep tech program titled The North Star, which focuses on collaboration with the leading universities and scientists.
Timo Kullerkupp; Karl Erik Esko
‘The Rask team is very professional and punctual. Their punctuality and reactiveness has really made our collaboration fantastic. There is a professional team member for any legal support you might need. International law and various languages.’
‘Tarmo Peterson – reactiveness, professionalism and time keeping.’
Hepta Group Airborne OÜ
Modera Software AS
Net Group OÜ
HotelBuddy Technology OÜ
TGS Baltic handles IP/IT matters within data protection and litigation and receive instructions from a variety of client sectors including financial, technology, automotive, insurance, public, pharmaceutical and creative. Peeter Viirsalu‘s industry experience focuses on IP disputes and distressed assets. Viirsalu is one of the experts who advised the Estonian Ministry of Justice on the insolvency law reform involving the Reorganisation Act in amendments being enacted in July 2022. Senior associate Mari-Liis Orav co-leads the team, leveraging a track record in personal data protection mandates.
The practice is very professional and competent.’
‘The team in Estonia is fast and very collaborative, they also have their own different teams who will handle different subjects. Everything was smooth and good.’
‘High academic level.’
‘The team is diverse and highly capable, with both general and up-to-date knowledge about various data protection matters, as well as specific knowledge in the field of healthcare. The senior associates are very hands-on and responsive, communicating always in a clear manner.’
‘Excellent law firm with great Know-how related to data privacy for the Baltics.’
‘Partners availability was exceptional and very professional. They understood clearly our wishes and stood up for us exactly the way we wanted.’
Merck Sharp & Dohme OÜ
KFC Europe S.à r.l.
Zaka Startup 2, j.s.a.
Interflora Inc. and Fleurop-Interflora
Paxful, Inc. and its subsidiary Peaceful Tech OÜ
Eesti Autorite Ühing / Estonian Authors’ Society
Fujitsu Estonia AS
The City of Tartu and Tartu 2024 Foundation
Auto-Bon Baltic OÜ and AutoHalle Aktsiaselts
Inchcape Motors Estonia OÜ
ERGO Insurance SE
Smarten Logistics AS
Eesti Tudengisatelliidi Sihtasutus / Estonian Student Satellite Foundation or ESTCube
Primero Finance OÜ
Timbeco Woodhouse OÜ
Bondora Group AS
Private persons Veljo Vingissar, Jüri Roosa, and Freddy Tomingas
- Advising the collective management organisation Eesti Autorite Ühing / Estonian Authors’ Society on various issues regarding IP rights.
- Assisting Veriff – one of the fastest-growing start-ups (300+ employees) in Europe with offices in the U.S, the UK, Spain and Estonia, whose core business is offering AI-powered remote identity verification services – with their international privacy compliance project.
- Successfully advising Interflora – operating the leading and best-known flower ordering service, supported by over 58,000 carefully selected affiliated flower shops in over 150 countries – in a trade mark dispute against Interflower in the Industrial Property Board of Appeal.
Triniti represents a large number of media organisations in general compliance matters and disputes concerning defamation. Karmen Turk is a leading expert in IP and TMT, having represented notable media and IP-related clients in court proceedings. Maarja Pild is known for her work in data protection, media and IP matters; she has coordinated large scale GDPR and IP projects for various clients and has represented clients in IP matters in the Court of Justice of the European Council.
AAA Legal Services
AAA Legal Services fields a specialist IP team with services across the Baltic States. The team provides quality legal and IP counselling, representing clients in conflicts before the Patent Office, Board of Appeal and the wider courts. Almar Sehver is the managing partner and counsels numerous clients in IP protection strategy and contracts.
Almar Sehver; Villu Pavelts; Jürgen Toome
ELRON (Estonian Passenger Train Operator)
Thule Sweden AB
- Advised Daimler AG (now Mercedes-Benz Group AG) in enforcement of their design rights for wheel rims against copy rims under the European repair clause exemption rules.
- Represented Apple, Inc. before the Industrial Property Appeals Board in its appeal of the Patent Office’s refusal of the trade mark EVERYONE CAN CODE.
- Represented Treesystem s.r.l. in enforcement of their patent rights for solar park frames anchoring system, achieving preliminary discovery (walk-in into factory and seizure of documents) and preliminary injunction prohibiting the infringement. Main case ongoing.
KPMG Law in Estonia
KPMG Law in Estonia is experienced in IT law which it combines with a tenacity for contract, IP, business and procurement law matters. The team is especially well-versed within the start-up space and has also overseen a number of GDPR advisory projects. Karin Oras serves as team head, and has recently led in advising on IP transfer transactions for Coolbet. Urmas Kukk is noted for her expertise in privacy and personal data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communication
Ministry of Social Affairs
The Health Insurance Fund
Rural Development Foundation
- Advised Ministry of Social Affairs on privacy impact assessment of the implementation of the personal medicine project.
- Advised Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communication on comprehensive security auditing of election information systems and related processes.
- Advised Tallinn Airport on audit of the internal regulations for processing personal data.
LINKLaw advises a variety of unique clients in the IP and IT fields, including film producers, film portals and different IT-companies. Kairi Kurisoo leads the team and has a broad portfolio of work in the IP space, with a focus on counselling IP/IT corporations involved in M&A.
‘The practice has a deep and broad understanding of the IT business, with its risks, opportunities and liabilities involved. The practice has an outstanding knowledge of the IT LAW, DPA, GDPR and various security policies applied in the IT business.’
‘The practice provides quality service on time and is honest in their opinion. The practice barristers speak and write impeccable English apart from a number of other European languages, which is a big help in today’s IT business.
‘Committed, service minded and flexible, competent, can deliver very fast if situation requires. They support with wider view to solutions/cases for decision making and road mapping.’
Energiasäästu Invest OÜ (Netikino)
Asymmetric Studios OÜ
Viru Keemia Grupp AS
GENIUS SPORTS SERVICES EESTI OÜ
Q-step logiciel OÜ
ASA Quality Services OÜ
- Advising Sterotek Film, the documentaries, TV-programs, music videos etc. production company, on its various everyday legal matters.
- Advising Energiasäästu Invest OÜ (Netikino), the web cinema portal, on its various everyday legal matters, as portal usage terms and agreements with producers and right owners.
- Advising Feeport OÜ, developer of the software platform solutions for seamless cross-border flow of e-commerce goods, in drafting its license terms and other contractual terms for offering its services.