IP, IT and telecoms in Estonia
Ellex works across the full practice area, advising clients in the technology, telecoms, and media industries, alongside a unique capability in patent litigation, thanks to the dual qualification of senior associate Mari Must as a trade mark attorney. Clients include Bayer Pharma and the Estonian Author's Society. Practice head Ants Nõmper represented AstraZeneca in a damages claim against KRKA relating to the sale of a generic medicinal project in breach of the client's patent.
All Media Eesti AS
Daiichi Sankyo Europe
Bayer Pharma AG
Telia Eesti AS
Estonian Authors’ Association
- Acting for Bayer in a series of disputes relating to damages over infringement of the client’s intellectual property.
- Advising the state-owned SA Viljandi Haigla on the procurement procedure for the purchase of the hospital’s new central information system.
- Advising Tera Ventures, an Estonia-based early stage tech venture capital fund, on the formation and launch of its second fund – Tera Ventures Fund II – with a target fund size of €55m.
Sorainen has a particular strength in IP work, including trade mark registration, customs registry, and trade mark disputes. In headline work, it is notably representing Nascar in a dispute with Amaxa Pharma. On the IT side, the firm focuses primarily on data protection and privacy, alongside cryptocurrency work, regulatory compliance, and advice to clients in the telecoms industry. The practice is led by experienced IP lawyer Kaupo Lepasepp alongside Mihkel Miidla, who is strong in IT and telecoms-related work.
Kaupo Lepasepp; Mihkel Miidla
Sandoz d.d. Estonian branch
Atria Eesti AS
Olympic Entertainment Group
- Representing Nascar in a trade mark dispute against Amaxa Pharma.
Egon Talur leads the practice at Cobalt, which primarily handles data privacy and IP concerns, alongside representing clients in trade mark litigation. It is a popular choice for clients in the IT sector - fraud prevention company Dataminer is a client - as well as online gambling companies. Senior associate Viive Kaur is a specialist in trade mark litigation and copyright law.
- Composed internal GDPR-compliancy procedure and internal rules for Dataminer OÜ.
- Advised Studioworks OÜ on setting up its internal data privacy structure, with a focus on employees and internal privacy notices.
- Acting for Open on IT agreements.
Derling Primus' workload includes advising on trade mark issues for a range of clients, as well as handling day-to-day IT and procurement considerations, supporting start-ups, and advising a number of banking clients on licensing, alternative payment and privacy considerations. Other clients operate primarily in the IT, tech, and retail sectors. The practice is led by Toomas Taube, a specialist in IP advice and enforcement alongside trade mark litigation. Hannes Vallikivi acts for clients in the financial services sector on IT matters. Ave Piik left the firm.
EMC Computer Systems Austria GmbH
Estonian subsidiary of Michelin Group
Latvian Mobile Telephone (LMT)
IPF Digital Group
- Advising Teva Pharmaceutical on the supplementary protection of certain pharmaceuticals.
- Advising Icefire on multiple intellectual property, IT, contract and employment law matters.
The 'outstanding' Tambet Toomela leads the practice at Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co, which has a strong focus on IP litigation. It also acts for clients including Samsung Electronics on IP and data protection matters, as well as drafting commercial IT agreements. The firm advises a number of international clients, most notably Cambridge University, and has strong cross-border capabilities, with matters including software management and IP disputes.
‘They are quick to react and have demonstrated good understanding of touching points of legal and business matters. Their work in IT and IP related matters, including contractual matters, is exceptionally good.’
‘Very competent, committed, fast to respond and flexible team.’
All Media Eesti AS
Cambridge Assessment Overseas Limited
Defendec Holding OÜ
Icosagen Cell factory
- Advised Cambridge University on the negotiation and drafting of a service agreement for providing English language proficiency test services to Estonian public schools.
- Advising Samsung on various IP and data protection matters.
- Represented Titanium Systems in an IP dispute with Car Target.
Elvira Tulvik heads the practice at Magnusson, which handles data protection, compliance, and licensing matters, with a particular specialism acting for fintech clients and e-payment providers, including Folkefinans and Spectrofinance. Senior associates Sille Eerik and Mirjam Võsu are noted for their expertise in IT law. In a difficult market for traditional banking transactions, the team advises businesses on obtaining operation licences in Estonia for operating a virtual currency exchange and offering wallet services.
Inter Cars S.A. and Inter Cars Eesti OÜ
FinnFleet Tankers OÜ
eMoore Malta Ltd
Tallinna Mänedžeride Kool OÜ
Tommi Grill OÜ
KSA Logica OÜ
Link Telecom OÜ
Spectro Finance UAB
Elers Medical Finland OY
- Advised TelePay OÜ, a virtual currency brokerage company, on obtaining operation licences in Estonia for operating a virtual currency exchange and offering wallet services.
- Advising Elers Medical Finland OY, a leading Finnish medical technology company that operates internationally, on intellectual property law issues.
- Advised beauty products e-shop, MyLook OÜ, on ensuring compliance with data protection requirements.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ
The team at Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ acts for clients from multiple industries in litigation and advisory work. In one highlight, the team is representing Gemalto, the producer of Estonian ID-card chips, in a series of complex civil disputes against the Republic of Estonia and Idemia France, valued at around €200m. Other work includes day-to-day IT advice and patent litigation. IP and IT specialist Priit Lätt leads the practice alongside Imbi Jürgen. Mari-Liis Orav is now with TGS Baltic.
Priit Lätt; Imbi Jürgen
Estonian Authors’ Society and other eight collective societies (including the Estonian Performers Society and the Estonian Association of Phonogram Producers)
Estonian E-Residency team
SK ID Solutions
- Representing Gemalto AG – the producer of Estonian ID-card chips – in a series of complex civil disputes against the Republic of Estonia and Idemia France.
- Representing EAÜ and other collective societies against the government in a case regarding the blank tape levy.
- Representing Alvogen and Synthon in a patent dispute against Teva.
Hedman Partners 'understands start-ups better then anyone else in Estonia' and has a core focus acting for Estonian start-ups in numerous industries, including legal services, transport, banking and real estate. The practice also handles data protection and IT services matters, and also receives a steady stream of instructions relating to the music industry. On the litigation side, the group is representing the Estonian government in a copyright dispute against Estonian authors and performers societies. The 'hands-on' Toomas Seppel, who was promoted to partner in 2019, heads the team.
‘Hedman Partners has built strong competence and expertise in startup sector, advising numerous investment rounds and exits from both sides of the table. There is a firm belief and trust in their commercial knowledge.’
‘Hedman understand startups better then anyone else in Estonia.’
Dream Group OÜ
Mikaels Labs OÜ
Government of Estonia
- Advised Hugo on its launch of the HUGO.legal marketplace for lawyers.
- Representing the government of Estonia in a copyright dispute against Estonian authors and performers societies.
- Advising Haut.AI on IP matters, including setting up an IP portfolio and IP transfer as a part of an investment deal.
KPMG Law in Estonia
Advokaadibüroo KPMG Law advises several international, largely Baltic-wide, clients primarily on data protection and GDPR-related issues, alongside fintech and payment services work. Clients include Eesti Post, Valio and Versobank in liquidation. Practice head Risto Agur specialises in data protection, IT and banking-related work. The team was further bolstered by the arrival of Lauri Liivat from Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co in January 2019; he focuses on assisting tech start-ups and emerging growth companies.
‘Competent team, strong legal expertise, thorough knowledge of their field, and the reputation of a trustworthy law firm.’
AS Ekspress Meedia
Eesti Post AS
Valio Eesti AS
International Education Association of Estonia MTÜ (IEAE)
Toyota Motor Europe
L’Oréal Baltic SIA
- Advising Versobank on selling the bank’s software and IT systems.
- Advising Picote Solutions on the sale and transfer of its Finnish, EU and US patents and patent applications.
- Undertook a legal compliance assessment of Toyota’s consent management practices.
'Stand-out' senior associate Rauno Kinkar leads the practice at LEXTAL, which specialises in fintech, cryptocurrency licensing, and matters related to web-based services. It is a popular choice for start-ups sector, particularly those focused on the provision of payment services and AI development, as well as those in the media sector. Kinkar and Ants Karu provide ongoing advice to autonomous vehicles company Starship Technologies on data protection and day-to-day IT considerations.
Starship Technologies OÜ
Eesti Üliõpilaskondade Liit
HVK Business OÜ
Osaühing Polven Foods
CV Keskus OÜ
SBC Technologies AG
- Advising on compliance work as the Data Protection Officer of the Starship Group, as well as all other day-to-day legal consultations.
- Successfully represented Polven in a civil case where a competitor was claiming violation of its trade mark package design.
- Advised Wolfprint on numerous cross-border licensing and development agreements with technology giants.
LINKLaw advises primarily on IP, data protection, and IT projects within the media industry, with a particular focus on television and film, including production companies and video streaming services. Kairi Kurisoo leads the practice, bringing her experience in commercial law and transactions to bear in advising corporate clients on fintech and enterprise software.
‘Very professional and personal legal service and experienced lawyers.’
Asymmetric Studios OÜ
Viru Keemia Grupp AS
ELKE Mööbel OÜ
Daetwyler Eesti AS
Q-step logiciel OÜ
Services Eesti OÜ
Energiasäästu Invest OÜ
- Advising on the IP elements of Asymmetric Studios’ The Adventures of Pinocchio.
- Advising Viru Keemia Grupp on the implementation of new enterprise resource planning software.
- Advising Energiasäästu Invest on the development of on-demand video platform Kino, including agreements for software and portal development, usage terms of the portal, and data protection policies.
NJORD Law Firm
The practice at NJORD Law Firm is led by newly promoted partner Liisi Jürgen. The group advises a variety of clients in new and existing fields of technology, including cryptocurrency, fundraising platforms, business consultancy and healthcare. Work varies from financing to day-to-day IT and technology considerations. The firm's range of capabilities is best demonstrated by its advice to Digital Mind on a series of legal issues related to its business consultancy products, which include electronic signatures, E-ID, and authentication protocols, with a particular focus on cross-border business co-operation.
Heathmont / mSolutions
OneTouch Technologies Ltd
SafeEnt Ltd (Global Gaming)
Digital Mind OÜ
Mölnlycke Health Care OÜ
PrepayWay Systems Estonia OÜ
- Advised Digital Mind on electronic signatures, authentication issues and e-ID.
- Advised Fundwise on contractual issues, including drafting terms and conditions, contracts, data protection, e-commerce and consumer rights, online investment transactions, and assisting with negotiations.
TGS Baltic's team specialises primarily in data protection compliance work and advice to clients in the healthcare and pharmaceutical industries, alongside general IT and IP advice for corporate and banking clients. The practice is led by Sander Kärson and Peeter Viirsalu, who handle licensing, IP considerations and cybersecurity matters. The firm's capabilities in IP are demonstrated by its representation of the Estonian Authors' Society in a number of disputes relating to the intellectual property of the group's members.
Sander Kärson; Peeter Viirsalu
Estonian Authors’ Society
Estonian Centre of Architecture
AAA Legal Services
Intellectual property boutique AAA Legal Services focuses on trade mark and patent registration and enforcement. The team is experienced in Estonian and international trade mark registration, patent applications, and all forms of intellectual property disputes, including litigation and extrajudicial negotiations. Key names include Urmas Kernu and Almar Sehver.
FORT's practice has two key specialisms: handling complex regulatory issues within the telecoms industry; and advising on software development projects within the IT sector, particularly online payments and fintech in line with the firm's banking and finance capabilities. The practice is led by experienced corporate and financing lawyers Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff and Kirsti Pent, who assist clients with contractual and regulatory issues respectively.
Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff; Kirsti Pent
Estonian Association of Internal Architects
Software Technology and Applications Competence Centre
- Advised Kredex on developing new financial services administration software.
- Advising eKool on the development of a new version of its school management software.
- Advised Tbhawt Manufacturing on the IP and licensing elements of the establishment of its wind turbine factory.
RASK Attorneys-at-Law primarily advises technology and telecoms companies on new tech issues such as crytocurrency, blockchain, and AI, alongside handling regulatory compliance and contractual matters. The team also represents clients in IP litigation. The practice is led by Timo Kullerkupp, while associate Karl Erik Esko is widely regarded as an emerging authority on IT and blockchain issues. The firm has a notable focus on start-ups and funding platforms, recently agreeing a partnership with tech incubator Technopol, which has expanded the firm's international client reach.
Net Group OÜ
Nordlin Ehitus OÜ and Privaat AB OÜ
Modera Software AS
- Advising Cleveron on software and product development arrangements.
- Advising Net Group on entering the African market for e-government solutions.
- Successfully representing Nordlin Ehitus and Privaat AB in a dispute over the IP rights of the architectural designs for a prominent education facility in Tallinn.
Hannes Küün and Marit Savi lead the practice at TARK, which acts for corporate clients on data protection and privacy compliance issues, as well as being active in IT disputes. Clients include My Fitness and Estonian Railway.
Hannes Küün; Marit Savi
Fliis Trade OÜ
SDA Akademia OÜ
- Advising Swissotel Estonia OÜ on data protection/GDPR compliance matters.
- Advising Bauhof Eesti on data protection/GDPR compliance matters.
- Advising MyFitness AS on daily compliance with GDPR matters