The IP, IT and telecoms team at Ellex is known for its diverse practice, covering the full range of IP and IT matters, including handling trademark portfolios and general IP-related matters, as well as representing clients in high-profile IP infringement disputes and litigation, both at a national and international level. Its clients often operate in sectors including entertainment, pharmaceutical and publishing. Practice head and IP expert Ants Nõmper is noted for cross-border IP matters, including transactions and IP-related litigation, including before the Estonian Supreme Court. Additionally, counsel Mari Must is highly regarded by her peers for her expertise in IP litigation.
IP, IT and telecoms in Estonia
Other key lawyers:
JCDecaux Eesti OÜ
Telia Eesti AS
Bayer Pharma AG
Daiichi Sankyo Europe
The Estonian Authors’ Society
Estonian National Broadcasting
- Represented the Estonian Authors’ Society in connection with compensation of damages for organising the public performance of music at a concert without a license agreement.
- Acted for Verska Mineraalvee OÜ in a dispute with Emphora Holding OÜ, the owner of the company Värska Vesi AS, regarding the labelling of a bottle of mineral water.
- Represented Orkla Eesti AS against the Estonian music composer and producer Mr Ivar Must in a dispute related to the alleged infringement of Mr Ivar Must’s intellectual economic rights.
A ‘go-to‘ team for IP-related matters, Sorainen covers day-to-day IP portfolio management and domain name and trademark registration work, as well as complex IP disputes on behalf of Baltic, Nordic, and US clients operating in Estonia. It also conducts comprehensive GDPR audits and data breach cybersecurity responses. Kaupo Lepasepp specialises in IP transfers, unfair competition matters, and the protection of confidential information. Mihkel Miidla leads the TMT team and focuses on the formation of international distribution networks and telecoms regulatory work. Senior associate Olivia Kranich is another key contact for trademarks, industrial designs, and IP involving pharmaceuticals and medical devices.
Kaupo Lepasepp; Mihkel Miidla
Other key lawyers:
‘For us, Sorainen is simply the go-to law firm in the Baltic States. The firm knows the local market very well, is exceptionally hands-on and highly responsive.’
‘The team works very fast and is efficient.’
‘In one high-profile cross-border trade mark case where time was of the essence, Kaupo Lepasepp and Olivia Kranich responded extremely quickly – and gave our case the highest priority. Hourly rates are very fair. In short: with Sorainen, we know for sure that our client’s interests are in safe hands.’
‘Olivia Kranich is very easy to work with. She gives commercial legal advice in international IP matters and is able to communicate well and listen to the client.’
NTT Data Institute of Management Consulting
Temnikova & Kasela
Sondoz d.d. Estonian branch
- Advised Allfilm with regard to production of its new thriller Burial, feature film Cerberus and TV-series A good family.
- Advised PlanB Labs on preparing for and closing the sale of Drops to Kahoot!, assisting the client also with questions regarding tax, corporate and trademark matters, as well as providing ongoing advice in regard to various trademark matters and managing the client’s trademark portfolio both in the EU and US.
- Advised Temnikova & Kasela gallery on the launch of the first-ever NFT project in the history of Estonian art, determining and regulating the parties’ rights and obligations.
Cobalt has built up a reputation for it work regarding data protection, as well as data privacy, trademark law, and regulatory issues. The team is also involved in the IP/IT-related aspects of transactions and often advises clients in the pharmaceutical, online gambling and advertising sectors. Practice head Egon Talur is noted for IP asset restructuring and IP rights management, as well as GDPR compliance documentation drafting and tax-related matters.
‘The communication was exceptional.’
‘The cooperation with Cobalt was very special due to the high commitment of the contact persons. Pragmatic results are continuously sought to find a quick and satisfactory solution for the client.’
‘Quick response, always available, time for the customer, and willing to solve the problem.’
‘Egon Taluri has a very good knowledge of tax law.’
Absolut Company Aktiebolag
EDC Eastern Drinks Company Ltd
Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
R-S OSA Service (Ragn-Sells group company)
- Represented Creative Woodworks in several disputes related to the infringement of its design rights.
- Acted for EDC Eastern Drinks Company Ltd in a trademark opposition at the Board of Appeal in Ukraine regarding its Mernaya trademark.
With extensive international expertise in copyright, trademark, data protection, and telecoms, Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co often advises major corporates on complicated IP and tech issues related to post-M&A transactions and IP-related disputes. It is also highly experienced in GDPR compliance, data protection audits, and impact assessments. Practice head Tambet Toomela has represented clients in front of the Supreme Court of Estonia in tech-related disputes and also advised on IP-related matters including acquisitions, licensing and protection, trademark disputes and data protection.
Other key lawyers:
‘Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co stands out in the competition for top level legal service and professional communication. One gets very high-level partner attention and full focus from associates. They are top notch in commercial, IP and IT contractual and legal matters.’
‘Maivi Ots is an absolute number one expert and practitioner in this field. Experience, commitment and trustworthy cooperation.’
‘They see the wider picture, never look just the specific issue but point out also other important topics that need to be handled (but we couldn’t see before). They are willing to understand our business and are quick. They have established recently convenient and high quality (also technologically) live web seminars for clients. Collaboration is on very good level, both internally and cross border.’
‘They have a different approach to relationships. I like our relationship with Tambet Toomela because often I need quick answers that require deep and long experience in the field. I value the way he works (he always sends the more detailed memo after our call), he is open and has clear opinions, and easy to work with.’
DS Smith Packaging
- Advised Mustamäe Apteek OÜ on its submission of a complaint to the Tallinn Administrative Court for annulment of the order of the inspectorate.
- Acted for Confido in relation to trademark violation claim made by the Estonian Red Cross. After successful negotiations with Red Cross, a compromise was reached involving only small technical changes to the client’s trademark.
- Advised Eckstein Farben on an alleged trademark violation.
The team at Hedman Partners advises international IT/fintech start-ups on matters including the maintenance of IP portfolios, regulatory compliance, and GDPR compliance, as well as advising on both contentious and non-contentious matters concerning copyright. Practice head Toomas Seppel leads on data protection compliance, assisting tech start-ups with IP portfolio management and establishment, and cryptocurrency licensing. Specialist data privacy counsel Andres Ojaver is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘Toomas Seppel has in-depth knowledge of how to help SaaS businesses with their legal matters, provides hands-on support, and is always available. ’
Republic of Estonia Ministry of Justice
Origenes Europe OÜ
- Represented the Ministry of Justice in a long-term dispute with various Estonian authors’ and performers’ societies concerning blank media levy for the period 2014-2017.
- Advised Fyma on the legal aspects of building a data analytics product, the subscription and licensing model, as well as preparing a data protection impact assessment and consulting with the Data Protection Inspectorate.
- Advised designer Liisi Eesmaa in connection with a copyright dispute regarding the costumes used in the Russian TV show “Masked Singer”.
Magnusson is regarded for its expertise in technology law, as well as advising on license agreements, crypto assets and currencies, data protection, cyber security, and IT/IP disputes. It has particular strengths in cross-border cyber fraud disputes, cyber forensics, and enforcement of cyber asset rulings. Clients are often foreign investors and international companies. Practice head Elvira Tulvik leads on technology and regulatory projects, while senior associate and head of the IP and media team Mirjam Trisberg is known for her work in IP and media law, particularly regarding trademark and copyright matters. She is also a member of the Tennessee Bar as well as the Estonian Bar Association. Senior associate Mait Valberg specialises in data protection and cyber security and leads the data privacy team. Additionally, IT lawyer Lev Goffert joined the team direct from Southampton University in July 2020, and focuses on data protection and anti-money laundering services.
Other key lawyers:
Mirjam Trisberg; Lev Goffert; Mait Valberg
Inter Cars S.A. and Inter Cars Estonia OÜ
Elers Medical Finland Oy
KTZL Action Group
Envst United Action
Homeless Bob Production OÜ
SmartTel Plus OÜ
Optimus Enterprise OÜ
Dream Finance OÜ
Link Telecom OÜ
- Advised OmniMatrix OÜ, a subsidiary of Norwegian company Omega Media AS operating under the trademark “Nordikcoin” and providing virtual currency exchange services, on the issuance of numerous extensive legal opinions on token qualification under Estonian law, licensing requirements and the compliance.
- Represented over 3,000 local and international investors in large class action bankruptcy and criminal proceedings regarding claims as high as €18m, where the asset recovery involved tracing assets that have been concealed with cryptocurrency transactions.
- Advised the e-commerce company MyLook OÜ on payment processing, provision of credit, data security, intellectual property, marketing and compliance.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
WALLESS is noted for its work in complicated trademark infringement, technology company acquisitions and transactions, and anti-counterfeiting actions. Its clients include international technology corporations, IT and telecoms start-ups, and manufacturers, among others. Toomas Taube heads the practice and focuses on the cross-border enforcement of IP rights and trade mark and copyright enforcement. Managing partner Hannes Vallikivi specialises in technology law relating to banking, privacy and cyber security.
Other key lawyers:
Nordic Label Oy Ab and Tilgmann Oy Ab
Cramo Estonia AS
Modular Technologies OÜ
LMT, Latvian Mobile Telephone
Ampler Bikes OÜ
IPF Digital Group
- Acted for AS Liviko in the settlement negotiations of multi-jurisdictional trademark disputes with the Swedish vodka producer The Absolut Company AB.
- Advised Nordic Label Oy Ab and Tilgmann Oy Ab on the protection and registrations of EU trademarks.
LEXTAL provides IP advice across the Baltics, with particular specialisms in data protection, trade mark and copyright law, cryptocurrency assets, and ICO counselling. Head of the team Rauno Kinkar focuses on contract law and GDPR compliance in the tech sector, as well as tech-related civil litigation.
‘The team is very good, professional and every question will be answered.’
‘Rauno Kinkar is very knowledgeable and professional.’
Starship Technologies OÜ
Eesti Üliõpilaskondade Liit
Arco Vara AS
Sidekik Inc and Sidekik OÜ
Tallinna Teaduspark TEHNOPOL SA
GenNet Laboratories AS
Optimist Digital OÜ
- Represented Wolfprint in numerous cross-border licensing and development agreements with technology giants.
- Advised the Starship group in relation to its licensing and IP maters.
- Advised Sidekik Inc and Sidekik OÜ on their international restructuring that involved migration of the group’s parent company from Estonia to the United States.
LINKLaw has niche expertise advising film production and distribution companies on all IT/IP related matters, including negotiating software agreements. It has also historically provided counsel to Estonian IT companies, capital-based retail groups, and oil and chemical manufacturers. Practice head Kairi Kurisoo is an IP specialist, especially regarding counselling IP/IT corporations involved in M&A.
‘Linklaw has a very strong team. They have specialists with very good experience in various fields who can give the right advice. They take the customer’s problem very seriously and it feels as if we are not partners but working in the same company.’
‘Working with Linklaw lawyers creates such a family feeling. I know they work for me, but they commit as if their problem or concern is theirs. I always get help from them even when there is very little time.’
Energiasäästu Invest OÜ
Asymmetric Studios OÜ
Viru Keemia Grupp AS
COOP Eesti Keskühistu
Q-step logiciel OÜ
- Advised Asymmetric Studios OÜ on the theatrical motion picture project entitled The Adventures of Pinocchio, to be based on a story and ideas owned, possessed, initiated or created by Asymmetric Studios OÜ.
- Advised Energiasäästu Invest OÜ on the creation of the internet cinema portal Netikino.
NJORD Law Firm primarily focuses on advising international IT companies and public sector clients on matters concerning counterfeited goods, trademark prosecution and blockchain regulatory issues as well as representing clients in IT/IP litigation. The team often advises universities, public sector organisations and government agencies, and fintech companies. IP and regulatory team leader Karolina Ullman is well versed in cryptocurrency and fintech matters, as well as general IP law. IT and data protection team head Liisi Jürgen specialises in health tech, consumer protection, and data protection matters.
Karolina Ullman; Liisi Jürgen
Aktsiaselts Järvamaa Haigla
REVERON BALTIC OÜ (Dr. Verner Fogel)
Manticore Labs OÜ
osaühing Inchcape Motors Estonia
Tommy Hilfiger Licensing B.V.
- Advised Nortal AS’s client on complex projects in the field of proactive e-services, e-ID and e-signing and e-authentication together with data protection and privacy knowledge.
- Advised the Ministry of Social Affairs on an upcoming IT solution that will enable the use of genetic predisposition information and recommendations based on the patient’s consent for disease prevention and more effective medical treatments.
- Assisted Woonkly with creating a platform for trading with NFT (non-fungible token) art.
NOVE is highly experienced advising on data protection, legislative drafting regarding copyright, and representing clients in high-profile trade mark disputes. Its clients include universities and major actors in the medicine, technology, and healthcare sectors. Practice leader Mari Past focuses on data protection, IP, IT, and healthcare and competition law. Arsi Pavelts is an IP, IT, and data protection litigator, while senior associate Maret Kruss is experienced in data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Arsi Pavelts; Maret Kruss
‘NOVE’s lawyers that I have met are down to earth and easy to speak to. They use simple language and clear advice. I’ve used fixed fee offers that give transparency and help better plan the budget for legal services.’
‘I have worked with Mari Matjus and Maret Kruus on data security and with Mari Matjus on competition law. Mari Matjus is fast, reliable. She goes the extra mile to help and knows the medical sector well. Maret Kruus has an eye for detail and understands well how health data is processed in hospitals.’
‘I really like to work with NOVE as their approach is very personal and friendly.’
‘Maret Kruus and Mari Matjus are really nice people with so much expertise and experience. They think the same way as we and try to find solutions.’
‘Our cooperation with them went smoothly. Their team works quickly and efficiently. They were quick to contact us with additional questions. Their knowledge and experience in a narrow sector (data processing contracts for an IT program) is very good. The contracts made for us were profound, yet they were easy to read and logically structured.’
‘We worked with the lawyers Mari Matjus and Maret Kruus. They are both hardworking and competent. We particularly appreciate their willingness to contribute more than asked. They were willing to give us in-depth explanations of the work field and to negotiate with our partners.’
‘The team is always well coordinated and it is clear who is in charge of a specific matter.’
‘Ms Mari Matjus’ diligence and calm manner sets the practice apart.’
Tartu Ülikool (Tartu University)
Estonian Authors’ Society, Estonian Association of Phonogram Producers, Estonian Performers’ Association and Estonian Composers’ Association
Värska Vesi AS
Ernst & Young Baltic AS
SIA Citadele Leasing Eesti filiaal
AS Medicum Tervishoiuteenused
ADM Interactive OÜ
AS Prisma Peremarket
CybExer Technologies OÜ
Haapsalu Neuroloogiline Rehabilitatsioonikeskus SA
Law firm Azanda & Associates
- Prepared amendment proposals to the draft Amendment of the Copyright Act regarding compensation for use of audio-visual works and recordings for personal use.
- Represented Värska Vesi AS in resolving disputes regarding the trademark Värska.
- Supported Ernst & Young Baltic AS as external advisors in all data protection matters, including client, vendor and employment relationships.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ represents clients in IP, technology, and data protection disputes and other matters, often with a multidisciplinary element where it acts alongside the firm's corporate and tax teams. Its expertise covers the full range of trade marks, copyright, and industrial design-related matters. Practice head Priit Lätt is an IP/IT specialist who has represented clients in major software, trademark and cryptocurrency disputes.
Estonian Authors Society
Estonian Association of Phonogram Produces
Gemalto (part of Thales Group)
Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
Estonian E-Residency team
Rus Street Interactive
Tank Grupp (Tank Creative Agency)
SK ID Solutions
Hanse Digital Access
Krimelte (Wolf Group)
- Represented Gemalto AG in its dispute with the Republic of Estonia related to an e-ID Card supply contract.
- Represented Estonian Authors Society and other nine collective societies (incl. the Estonian Performers Society and the Estonian Association of Phonogram Producers) in a dispute with the Estonian government in relation to the unpaid private copying levies.
- Advised GuardTime on drafting and negotiations of complex contracts with European Space Agency, Estonian Ministry of Interior’s IT and Development Centre (SMIT) and Estonian Central Bank.
RASK advises start-ups and start-up incubators on blockchain, cryptocurrency and AI as well as dealing with regulation questions concerning product compliance and protection of IP, copyright, and personal data. Practice co-head Timo Kullerkupp advises on regulatory matters, IP, IT, and tech-related transactions. Senior associate Karl Erik Esko, who is the co-head of the technology team, focuses on capital raising through funds and crowdfunding platforms, as well as day-to-day advice for IT clients.
Timo Kullerkupp; Karl Erik Esko
‘Rask has a very strong and professional team. They keep their promises and timelines. They have very good knowledge about the start-up sector which makes them unique partner for us and probably for other start-up companies. Billing is very clear and always meets their estimates. No bad surprises!’
‘Timo Kullerkupp is highly professional. Always finds a time slot even when very busy. He has excellent communication skills, makes difficult laws understandable for everyone.’
‘The team is very start-up-minded and agile. The advice is relevant and it comes quickly. While working with start-ups, there are always things that are done first time and the RASK team can each time evaluate the situation and think like a start-up too. It’s a huge bonus to have them onboard!’
‘Timo Kullerkupp – He is analytical and at the same time has a really practical way of doing things that is simply great.’
SA Tallinna Teaduspark Tehnopol
Modera Software AS
Net Group OÜ
Pro IT OÜ
Digital Sputnik Lighting OÜ
- Assisted Ridango AS in negotiating transactions with large clients and with suppliers or co-operation partners (including large telecom services providers such as Telia).
- Assisted Modera Software AS in drafting all necessary license terms and other contractual terms for offering its services globally.
- Represented Skarcon OÜ in disputes concerning decisions taken by the contracting authority in the public procurement procedures
With clients active in the financial, pharmaceutical and fintech sectors, TGS Baltic focuses primarily on advising on data protection and regulatory matters, as well as commercial licensing and IP infringement litigation in the Baltics. It often assists the corporate team with complex licensing, data protection, and trademarks, as well as data protection due diligence and ongoing IP and IT matters. Peeter Viirsalu focuses on IP disputes and senior associate Mari-Liis Orav leads on most IP, IT, and data protection projects related to business consulting.
Peeter Viirsalu; Mari-Liis Orav
‘TGS’s team always helps us to find a tailored solution for our company. They stand by us when we need them most while applying the most complex regulations into practice. They always have a strong all-around team that helps the company’
‘It has been a pleasure working together with Mari-Liis Orav and her team. Probably the most important attribute is their high execution skill. They have very unique knowledge about industry practice, especially in data protection and corporate governance, and this something we value highly when constantly developing and improving our data protection and IT security execution in company.’
‘The team of TGS Baltic is unique because almost no other law firm in Estonia combines the knowledge of data protection and the healthcare law/sector as well as they do. They have exceptional specialists in both fields (Mari-Liis in data protection and Ingeri in healthcare law) who work very well together as a team. Additionally, more junior team members are also very capable.’
‘Everything worked very well, including billing, using technology, etc. Answers arrived quickly, everything was very professional.’
‘A professionally positioned law firm with a high level of expertise and excellent procedures as well as a strong team. Special expertise in the area of GDPR.’
‘The cooperation with the legal experts in the area of IT projects and complex GDPR issues was always extremely professional and worked smoothly and very quickly. We are also very satisfied with our contacts in the ongoing cooperation.’
‘We have strong support from TGS Baltic and were able to stay in contact with our lawyer even during the weekends.’
‘For us, it’s always about communication and we have a great connection and partnership with Mari-Liis Orav and she always finds a way on how to deliver value.’
Yum! Restaurants Europe Limited
Eesti Antidopingu ja Spordieetika SA (EADSE) (The Estonian Center for Integrity in Sports (ESTCIS)
Admirals Group AS
Interflora Inc. and Fleurop-Interflora
AS Fujitsu Estonia
Paxful, Inc. and its subsidiary Peaceful Tech OÜ
Bondora Group AS
Liikluslab Baltic OÜ
Eesti Jazzliit MTÜ
Income Company OÜ
APEX HOLDING OÜ
Timbeco Woodhouse OÜ / OÜ Timbeco Woodmill
osaühing NÕO LIHATÖÖSTUS
- Advised TalTech on drafting a complex template cooperation agreement to enable TalTech to participate, together with private companies, in the applied research programme (RUP) designed to help companies increase the demand for research and development.
- Advised YUM! Restaurants Europe Limited and YUM! Restaurants International Russia & CIS, the franchisor of KFC restaurants in the Baltics, on different data protection matters.
- Advised members of a famous Estonian punk rock band Vanemõde in a trademark dispute against a former band member.
The IP/IT team at Triniti is noted for representing clients operating in the media sector in major disputes before the Grand Chamber of the European Court of Justice. It also covers copyright and social media-related lawsuits. Practice head Maarja Pild advises on data protection and media law. Karmen Turk is a respected litigator focusing on media and IP-related court proceedings.
c.v. SNB REACT
Estonian Performers Association
All Media Eesti AS
- Represented c.v. SNB REACT u.a. in a landmark counterfeit goods case (intermediary liability matters) which has been through the Estonian Supreme Court (multiple times) and the European Court of Justice.
- Represented the Estonian Performers Association in dispute determining whether EEL is entitled to demand remuneration for use of phonogram (a right arising from Copyright Act) from non-profit organisations.
- Represented an Estonian journalist and TV host in a media and intellectual property dispute in the Supreme Court.
FORT advises telecoms sector clients and public sector institutions on complex regulatory issues and regulatory and compliance matters. Practice co-head Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff focuses on contracts and regulatory matters, while fellow co-head Merit Lind is active in the information technology space on IP and IT law issues. Ivo Vanasaun is noted for advising Estonian authorities on the transaction for the manufacturing of new ID cards. Specialist counsel Katrin Alliksaar provides additional support on regulatory matters.
Merit Lind; Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff
Other key lawyers:
Ivo Vanasaun; Katrin Alliksaar
‘The team had knowledge of the relevant disciplines, as well as skills necessary to adapt existing knowledge and experience to the new fields, such as artificial intelligence and cryptocurrencies.’
‘Really professional team. Superb!’
‘Merit Lind has really good knowledge of IT and contract law.’
‘We had a very good overall impression from our co-operation, they have a deep and pragmatic understanding of Estonian regulatory requirements.’
‘Rene Frolov – knows really good local IT practices and also European Union level policies and practices.’
‘They are passionate about technology.’
‘Merit Lind is the star in Estonian IT law. Technology is clearly her passion.’
Catapult Labs OÜ
Eesti Loto AS
Estonian Police and Border Guard Board
IT and Development Centre, Ministry of the Interior
Verifone Baltic SIA Estonian branch
- Acted for the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board in landmark litigation with Gemalto regarding the security vulnerabilities of Estonian ID-cards (including the ROCA vulnerability, which affected millions of devices and smart cards worldwide).
- Advised Aktsiaselts Eesti Loto on IT/IP related matters, projects and disputes, including the development of various product offerings, cross-border cooperation projects and the purchasing of large-scale IT solutions.
- Advised the IT and Development Centre of the Ministry of the Interior on legal matters related to the Estonian government’s data centres.