Ellex handles a broad range of registration matters and infringement disputes relating to copyright, trade marks, designs and domain name rights. The practice has particular experience in the media and entertainment, pharmaceuticals, heavy industry, software development and publishing sectors. Ants Nõmper, who has extensive expertise in telecoms and data protection law, leads the practice. Mari Must is noted for her experience in trade marks and unfair competition.
IP, IT and telecoms in Estonia
Other key lawyers:
‘Mari Must has deep knowledge in copyright matters and has taken time to acquaint herself with the specifics of our field of activity. With through understanding of procedural law, she makes a perfect choice for IP disputes.’
‘The team has long term experience in the field of IP and IT areas.’
JCDecaux Eesti OÜ
Telia Eesti AS
Bayer Pharma AG
Daiichi Sankyo Europe
The Estonian Authors’ Society
Estonian National Broadcasting
AS Eurostep Digital
- Advising the Estonian Authors’ Society on an ongoing basis in connection with compensation of damages for organising public performance of music at a concert without a license agreement.
- Assisted Back to Work with the launching of a digital immunity passport pilot project.
- Advised Estonian Lottery (Eesti Loto) on a project to upgrade the current lottery system.
Sorainen's practice is highly recommended for both IP and technology matters. Key areas of work include trade marks, domain names, unfair competition, parallel import, counterfeiting and IP disputes. The practice also handles data protection, regulatory and compliance, and telecoms disputes. IT and telecoms specialist Mihkel Miidla jointly heads the team with IP expert Kaupo Lepasepp, who also advises on setting up international distribution networks.
Kaupo Lepasepp; Mihkel Miidla
Dassault Systèmes and Vero Software
- Advised Milrem, a defence company, on IP licensing relating to autonomous vehicles.
- Managed Google’s local trade mark portfolio in all three Baltic states.
- Advised Allfilm, an Estonian film production company, on IP relating to a complicated film project.
The team at Cobalt handles patent and trade mark litigation and prosecution, and also advises on data protection and privacy concerns. Sector strengths include pharmaceuticals, online gambling, online payments and advertising. Egon Talur leads the practice.
Chapter 4 Corp. DBA Supreme
The Absolut Company Aktiebolag
Havana Club Holding S.A
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
IBM Eesti OÜ
Saint-Gobain Glass Estonia SE
Jysk Linnen`n Furniture OÜ
Salv Technologies OÜ
Estonian Institute of Historic Memory
- Represented Starbucks in trade mark litigation.
- Advised Chapter 4 Corp. DBA Supreme on registering a trade mark.
- Advised Saint-Gobain Glass on data processing agreements with multiple insurance companies.
Eversheds Sutherland Ots & Co is particularly known for IP litigation. Other key areas of work include software and copyright licensing and agreements. Practice head Tambet Toomela has extensive experience of privacy and data protection. The team has a roster of international clients and strong cross-border capabilities.
Titanium Systems OÜ
Epicor Software Estonia OÜ
Icosagen Cell Factory OÜ
Concise Systems OÜ
Cambridge Assessment Overseas Ltd
- Advised Carsleep on the development of a new and innovative automotive parking platform.
- Advised All Media Eesti on developing a legal licensing scheme for acquiring rights to a platform and the digital marketing technology behind it.
- Advised ZAUM Studio on the development and distribution of an award-winning video game Disco Elysium.
Hedman Partners focuses on assisting start-ups in industries including banking, real estate and legal services. Practice head Toomas Seppel is key to this area of work. Other strengths for the practice include copyright and audio-visual matters. The team also handles a good deal of data protection and privacy work.
‘Lawyers are very careful about details, always investigate related indirect risks which may arise. Knowledgeable and experienced team.’
‘Hedman Partners are the lawyers who you can rely on, they 100% have your back and do their best to protect clients’ interests.’
Ministry of Justice
Estonian Film Institute
G. Ots Tallinn Music School
Fotograafia Tallinn OÜ
OYE Network OÜ
Nordic Institute for Interoperability Solutions
- Represented the Ministry of Justice in a long-term dispute with various Estonian authors’ and performers’ societies concerning blank media levy.
- Advised the Estonian Film Institute on a variety of mandates pertaining to the intellectual property matters of audio-visual works.
- Advised Fotograafia Tallinn OÜ on copyright-related matters and other commercial IP issues linked to the day-to-day operations of a photo art gallery.
Magnusson's pan-Baltic and -Nordic practice deals with licensing, compliance and data protection, with strong offerings for fintech and e-payment services clients. The team also advises innovative tech start-ups and emerging growth companies. Other areas of work include cryptocurrencies, online gambling and cyber security issues. Elvira Tulvik heads the practice.
‘Very good team, well rounded, juggle tasks between them. Very high execution ability, lovely to work with compared to other firms.’
Inter Cars S.A. and Inter Cars Estonia
Elers Medical Finland
Games with Attitude
Trustmoore Corporate Services
KTZL Action Group
Betra Blockchain Business Academy
Homeless Bob Production
- Advised Inter Cars Eesti OÜ, a subsidiary of Polish company Inter Cars S.A., regarding compliance with GDPR requirements.
- Advised Elers Medical Finland OY, a Finnish medical technology company that operates internationally, on intellectual property law issues.
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ
Advokaadibüroo PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal OÜ handles a broad range of IP work, including trade marks, copyright, patents, industrial design and IP litigation. Other key areas of work include data protection, e-commerce advice, IT public procurement and software contacts. Priit Lätt, who has specialist experience in the internet of things and in cryptocurrencies, heads the practice.
WALLESS (former Derling Primus)
IP work at WALLESS (former Derling Primus) includes trade mark infringement matters, anti-counterfeiting actions and unfair competition disputes. Other key areas of work include software licensing, cyber security and privacy concerns. The team acts for clients in the technology, retail and start-up spaces. Practice head Toomas Taube has extensive experience in trade mark litigation, copyright licensing and transfer transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Estonian subsidiary of Michelin Group
LMT, Latvian Mobile Telephone
Ampler Bikes OÜ
IPF Digital Group
Data Print OÜ
- Represented AS Liviko in multi-jurisdictional trade mark disputes with Swedish vodka producer The Absolut Company AB.
- We advised Icefire, a software solutions provider, on multiple intellectual property, IT, contract law and employment law matters.
- Acted as the administrative contact person for HP in Estonia for its IP rights.
KPMG Law in Estonia
KPMG Law in Estonia advises public agencies and private companies on IT law and software IP, with a strong offering for start-ups and emerging growth companies. Practice head Karin Kaup has experience in data protection, IP transactions and patent registration.
‘KPMG Law has highly professional experts, they are willing to accept difficult and complex tasks and even in a very short time-frame provide high-quality analysis. The commissioned work included both technical and legal aspects, but KPMG Law was quickly able to gather a suitable team and the result of their work proved to be most reliable in all aspects.’
‘The KPMG Law team is willing to accept very difficult tasks and provide most reliable and high-quality analysis in short time-frame. The team-members are professional and skilled, they can be relied upon on both technological and legal matters.’
‘Team members had the necessary knowledge, experience, and habits needed to consult us and to solve the problems which we had with setting up the data security routines and activities in our company. It was to feel that the team members had broad knowledge and long term practice with personal data security.’
AS Ekspress Meedia
Eesti Post AS
L’Oreal Baltic SIA
Ministry of Justice
Estonian Authors’ Society
Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications
Forecast Foundation OÜ
- Advised Ministry of Justice on the applicability of Article 17 of the DSM Copyright Directive to Estonian businesses.
- Advised Malwarebytes on software licensing.
- Advised Mooncascade on an assessment of GDPR compliance.
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm has a strong offering for start-ups and emerging growth companies, particularly those focusing on innovative technologies, fintech and cryptocurrency. Data protection and digital agreements expert Liisi Jürgen leads the IT team. Karolina Ullman heads the IP side of the practice, and has experience advising on issues relating to music publishing and film agreements.
Karolina Ullman; Liisi Jürgen
‘Team is very professional and competent. They are experienced in the field and the service is developed well.’
‘We have very good collaboration with Silja Elunurm. Silja is a vey professional and focused to the client questions. Always has time for listening and discussions.’
Manticore Labs OÜ
Estonian Ministry of Social Affairs
University of Tartu, Institute of Genomics (Estonian Biobank)
LV Mehhatroonika OÜ
Reveron Baltic OÜ, dr. Fogel
- Advised Manticore Labs on a successful settlement agreement regarding a trade mark dispute with a German bank.
- Advised the Ministry of Social Affairs on technology that will enable the use of genetic predisposition information and recommendations based on the patient’s consent for disease prevention and more effective medical treatments.
- Represented a doctor against the Estonian Data Protection Inspectorate.
NOVE's team is led by data protection specialist Mari Matjus. The group is particularly sought after by industry associations to assist with drafting legislation in this space. Its client base includes telecoms and IT companies, start-ups and emerging growth companies and virtual currency exchange providers.
RASK advises on complex technology projects and is a key name for start-ups. Other key areas of work include product compliance, cryptocurrency and blockchain, artificial intelligence and IP protection. Timo Kullerkupp, who has a strong background in tech transactions, leads the team.
‘The team at Rask has expertise in a long list of different fields. Over the course of our cooperation they have helped us with multi-jurisdictional cases involving parties around the globe and always been speedy and on time with their work.’
SA Tallinna Teaduspark Tehnopol
Modera Software AS
Digital Sputnik Lighting OÜ
Net Group OÜ
The Global Hack MTÜ
- Advised Cheveron, a robotics and technology company, on licensing and development.
- Advised Net Group OÜ, a technology company, on negotiating co-operation terms with local IT services providers in Rwanda and Tanzania.
- Represented Ridango, an e-ticketing company, in five shareholder disputes.
TGS Baltic focuses on privacy and data compliance advice, with specific sector experience in healthcare and finance. The team also handles commercial licensing and contracts, and IP disputes. Senior associate Mari-Liis Orav heads the team; she advises on the transfer of IP rights and on software development.
‘TGS Baltic gathered a team with different backgrounds to solve a problem, which entailed questions from data protection and IT. They conducted a more thorough analysis than expected – I really saw an extra effort.’
‘They have excellent specialist knowledge in intellectual property matters and they are easily able to adapt their advice to the specific case and situation ’
Interflora Inc., Fleurop-Interflora
Rimi Eesti Food
- Represented EstateGuru, a marketplace for short-term property-backed loans, in a case concerning how to prove a contract entered into through the internet has been concluded.
- Advised YUM! Restaurants, the franchisor of KFC restaurants in the Baltics, on different data protection matters, including GDPR compliance and international data transfers.
- Provided day-to-day support to global ICT company Fujitsu Estonia in its various IT contractual and data protection matters.
‘ALTERNA has a dedicated team that offers personalised service that is always of high quality. Efficient lawyers who find the best solutions for the client. ’
‘I highly recommend Annika Vait who is precise and comprehensive. She is solution-oriented, finding only the best outcomes for her clients. A strategic thinker whose work results never disappoint me.’
‘ALTERNA is an outstanding firm for commercial legal advice. They offer strategic and considered legal service. A smart and quick team of professionals.’
DK Konsultatsioonid OÜ
E-Riigi Akadeemia Sihtasutus
KV Service OÜ
VMT Ehitus AS
Xolo (former business name LeapIN Business Services OÜ)
Incproit Solutions OÜ
Estonian Association for Property Maintenance
Eventus Ehitus OÜ
Uuesalu Arendus OÜ
Narva linn (Narva city)
Best Apartments OÜ
- Advised Best Apartments OÜ, which offers rental real estate via IT-platforms, on preparing new client contract forms after a business restructuring.
- Advised TaEthni OÜ, a company offering IT-services, on agreements for service providing and assignment of intellectual property rights.
- Advised Uuesalu Arendus OÜ, a real estate development company, on data protection matters regarding the installation of a video camera to private roads.
FORT is known for advising public sector institutions on technology, such as the state ID card system. Other areas of work include telecoms regulatory and software development, especially as it relates to fintech. Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff and Merit Lind lead the practice; both advise on regulatory issues.
Kuldar-Jaan Torokoff; Merit Lind
‘The Team is really strong on business law. Also building-, environment- and contract law. They are quick and the advice is precise and accurate.’
‘They have the utmost expertise in the field of IP transfer and its application in IT and telecom domains.’
‘FORT is excellent in providing solutions that are useful and implementable in practice. They really understand the full nature of the case at hand and dig through all the necessary details, even the technical ones. Their approach is practical and goal-oriented ’
‘FORT team is really client-oriented, very professional, agile and adaptive. As a client you can be sure that your interests are their highest priority. One of the strengths that differs FORT from other legal service providers in the industry is their strategic thinking and ability to always think two, three, four steps ahead.’
Catapult Labs OÜ
Eesti Loto AS
Estonian Police and Border Guard Board
- Acted for the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board in litigation with Gemalto regarding the security vulnerabilities of Estonian ID cards.
- Advised the Estonian Police and Border Guard Board on the production of new Estonian travel documents.
- Advised Enterprise Estonia on a new IT service for clients.
TARK handles data protection, IP protection and advises technology start-ups on regulatory compliance. The team has particular experience in the retail, media, transport, pharmaceuticals and start-up sectors. Privacy expert Marit Savi jointly leads the practice with Hannes Küün.
Hannes Küün; Marit Savi
Mindworks Industries OÜ
SDA Akademia OÜ
- Provided MyFitness with daily advice on data protection and privacy matters.
- Advised hotel Swissotel Estonia OÜ on data compliance.
- Advised construction retailer Bauhof Eesti on data compliance.