Insurance in Denmark
Bech-Bruun's team, which is led by Anne Buhl Bjelke, demonstrates strength across corporate and regulatory issues, reinsurance mandates and insurance-related mediation and litigation. The group is frequently instructed on high-value disputes spanning professional indemnity, all-risks insurance, product liability, marine insurance, personal injury, life insurance and coverage claims. In addition, Bjelke, who regularly assists international life and non-life insurance companies, handles cross-border insurance portfolio transfers. Jes Anker Mikkelsen has experience in cases before the Maritime and Commercial High Court, Danish High Courts and the Supreme Court, as well as disputes settled by mediation.
Anne Buhl Bjelke
Other key lawyers:
Jes Anker Mikkelsen; Camilla Søbjerg Nielsen; Mogens Gaarden
City of Aarhus
Dansk Supermarked A/S
Enstar EU limited
Howden Insurance Brokers AB (part of Hyperion Group)
Velliv (previously Nordea Liv og Pension)
Santander Insurance/Santander Life Insurance
UK Defence Club
- Representing accountants at a Faroese insurance company Betri in two professional indemnity lawsuits in the wake of the collapse of the Faroese Eik Bank.
- Representing Protector Forsikring in an indemnity lawsuit related to allegedly contaminated mink feed, which may have caused nationwide transmission of a disease affecting large numbers of minkeries.
- Representing HDI-Gerling Verzekeringen N.V. in a court case concerning cigarettes stolen in Denmark during transport.
Product liability expert Georg Lett and life insurance specialist Pernille Sølling co-head DLA Piper Denmark’s insurance practice, which is frequently instructed in high-profile, multi-jurisdictional insurance, reinsurance and liability disputes. Representing a range of Danish and foreign insurance companies, business enterprises, pension companies and insurance intermediaries, the department also has experience in W&I insurance, insurance policies related to M&A, and cases concerning crime insurance, product liability and professional liability claims. Dispute resolution practice head Anders Julius Tengvad is also active in contentious insurance matters.
Georg Lett; Pernille Sølling
Other key lawyers:
Anders Julius Tengvad; Morten Schultz
‘I have to mention my primary contact Morten Schultz. Not only a legal expert, but also a unique personality which never has given me anything but confidence.’
‘Simply the best lawyers for insurance and pension work. With great knowledge covering a legal area that is very complicated.’
‘Great legal and practical knowledge. Great process experience.’
‘Very professional lawyers with extensive knowledge in insurance and pension law, especially Pernille.’
Euro Accident Liv
Copenhagen FinTech Lab
Risk Point A/S
Europæiske ERV Rejseforsikring
- Representing Garantifonden for skadesforsikringsselskaber in a highly publicised €13m claim against Howden insurance Brokers AB, Gable Insurance AG (in bankruptcy) and Barbican Speciality Reinsurance Company; the claim is pursuant to reinsurance policies written by Barbican in favour of Gable with a Danish insurance agent called Husejernes Forsikringsagentur as cover holder and Howden as an insurance mediator.
- Defending AP Pension in a group of individual cases, filed after a class action suit involving 220 claimants was dismissed.
- Currently defending AXA XL and AIG as co-insurers in a complex case concerning coverage under recall insurance covering also product replacement regarding worldwide deliveries of defective products.
Under the leadership of Henriette Gernaa, Gorrissen Federspiel's group is skilled at handling complex insurance and reinsurance disputes, and also advises on transactional and regulatory issues. From a contentious viewpoint, the group represents insurance companies, reinsurers and brokers in a wide range of disputes and international arbitration proceedings including product liability and product recall claims, professional liability issues, commercial liability matters, personal injury claims and workers’ compensation work. Non-contentious areas of focus include Solvency II regime matters, fund issuances and insurance business restructurings. Peter Appel and Jens V. Mathiasen are particularly active in maritime insurance matters.
Other key lawyers:
Peter Appel; Jens V. Mathiasen; Jacob Skude Rasmussen; Lotte Eskesen; Kenneth Hvelplund Pedersen
‘The team are very analytic when cases are examined.’
‘The group is dedicated with individuals working 24/7 to help clients.’
FSN Capital Partners
West of England P&I
- Represented FSN Capital Partners in arbitration proceedings regarding warranty claims totalling $150m.
- Representing Deloitte in proceedings instigated by several of the bankruptcy estates of the (former) OW Bunker group.
The team at Kennedys primarily acts in insurance and reinsurance disputes, with a particular focus on corporate and commercial insurance matters, including coverage and defence work. Acting for a wide variety of Danish, Scandinavian and international insurers and reinsurers, the practice handles personal injury claims, provides regulatory advice and advises insured companies on coverage issues on behalf of insurers. The team is led by Morten Erritzøe Christensen, who also has a track record in D&O, IPO, professional indemnity and cyber-related claims.
Morten Erritzøe Christensen
Plesner’s insurance group is spearheaded by Torben Bondrop, who is ‘one of the most well-respected, experienced and knowledgeable insurance lawyers in Denmark’. The team represents several large domestic and international insurers and pension funds in insurance and reinsurance matters, most notably in product liability, commercial liability and personal injury claims. Other key areas of strength include matters relating to workers' compensation, property damage and regulatory issues, particularly in connection with the establishment and restructuring of insurance companies and pension funds. It is also active in reinsurance matters and insurance-related mediation.
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Hasseriis Iversen
‘The team has very strong – and always updated – competencies, are always available when needed, and the response time is very short, which is an extremely important factor for me’
‘The professional skills are absolutely sublime and the individuals that I work with both have really strong personalities. They are trustworthy, provide a feeling of security and they are responsive to alternative thinking if you present an alternative point of view to a legal issue.’
‘What makes the team unique is that they work closely together as a unit. No information is lost, and the lawyers’ cooperation on the cases creates great value and efficiency.’
‘Torben Bondrop and Charlottes Hasseriis Iversen stand out as individuals. They are both extremely skilled lawyers and practitioners; and at the same time, they are very decent and likeable people, which one can always trust.’
‘Torben Bondrop is an excellent lawyer – solid, diligent and easy to work with.’
‘Partner Torben Bondrop is one of the most well-respected, experienced and knowledgeable insurance lawyers in Denmark. He is also a brilliant litigator.’
BNP Paribas Cardif
AnaCap Financial Partners
Dental Accident Appeal Agency
- Acting for PFA Pension and Danica Pension in a large number of disability insurance claims, where there is a suspicion of fraud.
- Defending Topdanmark and its policyholder HME in the High Court against a large recourse claim from Zürich Insurance and Codan (RSA) based on a very large fire in the Danish science centre, Experimentariet, which also damaged adjacent buildings.
- Defending Gjensidige Forsikring against a large PI claim under a construction project policy.
The insurance team at Accura Advokatpartnerselskab focuses on insurance litigation and commercial arbitration work, with notable experience in D&O, professional indemnity, product liability, project insurance and W&I disputes. As well as acting for domestic and international insurer clients, the group also receives instructions from pension funds, engineering companies and insolvent corporations. Jacob Møller Dirksen, who leads the group, also has experience in cross-border coverage issues.
Jacob Møller Dirksen
‘Jacob Møller Dirksen has a solid background within insurance especially in regard to W&I insurance, management liability insurance, professional liability insurance and product liability insurance. He has a unique practical angle on these types of insurance because he has deep insight into the cases which are usually covered under such insurance.’
‘Jacob Møller Dirksen has a natural elegance – he makes a mark in the world by his results and excellent skills, not by making a fuss around himself.’
‘They have a small but good team.’
‘Good customer service.’
Crawford & Company
MSIG Insurance Europe AG
- Representing multiple insurance companies in multi-party construction liability and insurance disputes following the massive fire at Experimentarium (Copenhagen Scientific Center).
- Advising a global insurance company on matters of coverage, double insurance etc. regarding a directors and officer’s insurance taken out by a well-known Danish listed company relating to the sale and scrapping of a vessel in Asia.
Handling a variety of matters containing dispute resolution and insurance issues, boutique firm ARK Advokatpartnerselskab is split into a number of sub-specialised practice groups. Jesper Ravn heads up the compliance, fraud, personal injury, employers liability, private insurance and life insurance teams; Allan Kvist-Kristensen spearheads the product liability, risk management and property insurance groups; and Thomas Dall Jensen focuses on professional indemnity and finance-related matters.
Jesper Ravn; Allan Kvist-Kristensen; Thomas Dall Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Anne Mette Myrup Opstrup
Velliv Liv og Pension
- Representing Købstædernes Forsikring at the Eastern High Court in a case regarding whether the client was the correct defendant or if the injured should have taken out a subpoena against the insured company instead.
- Representing Thisted Forsikring in relation to a recovery claim regarding a train accident in 2018.
- Acted for 15 Danish insurance companies in a fraud case, where a policyholder had taken out accident insurance policies with 17 insurers within two and a half years prior to him getting his finger amputated in an alleged accident; the Appeals Court found the policyholder to have acted intentionally.
The ‘very approachable, knowledgeable and experienced’ Christina Steen heads up Horten’s wide-ranging insurance practice, which regularly assists an assortment of major domestic and international insurers and brokers. In its contentious work, the group is instructed in a large variety of D&O, cyber crime, product liability, construction liability and coverage claims. Steen is also adept at handling commercial disputes and professional liability matters, particularly in litigation and arbitration proceedings relating to the liability of executives and board members.
‘Horten has very good experience within the insurance sector and provides very good and practical advice.’
‘Christina Steen is very approachable, knowledgeable and experienced, and gives very practical advice.’
Zurich Insurance (US)
Allianz Insurance (Europe)
Willis Towers Watson
Gable Insurance AG (in bankruptcy)
The Appeals Board of the Patient Compensation Association
- Acted for the City of Copenhagen in legal proceedings regarding directors’ and officers’ liability.
- Representing a former board member of Chubb in legal proceedings regarding director’s liability due to decisions on unequal division of marital assets, which is claimed to have inflicted a loss on the Danish Tax Authority.
- Advising various W&I insurers underwriting W&I insurance relating to M&A transactions.
Instructed by a variety of life and non-life insurance companies, captive insurers and pension funds, Kromann Reumert has a particular focus on corporate and M&A transactions in the insurance space, with additional expertise in contentious matters. Non-contentious insurance specialist Jakob Rosing and regulatory and corporate expert Jens Steen Jensen head up the practice, which counts product liability and marine insurance work among its key areas of expertise. Litigation and arbitration practice head Jens Rostock-Jensen also has a track record in class actions and coverage matters.
Jakob Rosing; Jens Steen Jensen
Other key lawyers:
Jacob Høeg Madsen; Jens Rostock-Jensen
‘Very skilled within insurance, both administration and complex challenges.’
AIP Management (PKA)
Arch Re Accident & Health
Chubb Insurance Company of Europe
Forsikring & Pension
Global Dental Insurance
P+ (former DIP & JØP)
Norli Pension Livsforsikring
Velliv, Pension & Livsforsikring
Royal and Sun Alliance (RSA Group)
Dahlberg Assurance Agentur A/S
Lockton Companies LLP
- Advised on the merger of pension fund Juristernes og Økonomernes Pensionskasse and Danske civil- og akademiingeniørers Pensionskasse into P+, Pensionskassen for Akademikere, which combined have more than 90,000 members and DKK120bn in assets.
- Representing Echelon Financial Holdings in a €45m arbitration against the New Nordic Advisors group alleging misrepresentations by EHF at the time EHF sold Qudos insurance to New Nordic Advisors group.
- Represented XL Insurance in a cargo recovery claim under a charter party with a Danish disponent owner for damage to three wind turbine blades during sea carriage from Hull to Belfast in early 2018.
Considered ‘true experts in insurance law’, the ‘extremely well-coordinated and well-resourced’ insurance team at Poul Schmith has recently handled litigation and arbitration in the private insurance market, expanding beyond its previous focus on state-related insurance and liability issues. The department, which is led by Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen, acts for a wide variety of insurance companies, insurance brokers and insured companies in insurance disputes and court proceedings concerning product and professional liability claims. Sigrid Majlund Kjærulff, who was promoted to partner in 2020, is another key name to note.
Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen
Other key lawyers:
Christian Bo Kolding-Krøger; Sigrid Majlund Kjærulff; Inge Houe
‘The practice has a depth of knowledge about the insurance sector, across jurisdictions.’
‘My experience of this team is that they are extremely well coordinated and well resourced. It comprises strong and experienced lawyers. There is consistency in the service delivery and they understand their clients’ needs. They have excellent advocates who provide solid legal advice in a very commercial manner. They are true experts in insurance law.’
‘Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen is a fantastic advocate – he is smooth and compelling. He also provides extremely commercial advice and fully understands his clients’ needs.’
‘The team has been extremely responsive and goes to great lengths to accommodate client needs.’
‘Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen has a detailed knowledge of Danish insurance law and practice and is delightful to work with.’
‘Very professional and in-depth handling of cases. Always take their time to discuss different issues. Advice is objective and deliberate. Calm and patient in any matters.’
‘Professional, skilled, kind and empathetic.’
AXA XL, a division of AXA
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty
CHUBB European Group
Sedgwick Leif Hansen A/S
QBE Insurance (Europe) in bankruptcy
Markel International Insurance
VSW − Die Versicherergemeinschaft für Steuerberater und Wirtschaftsprüfer
Garantifonden for Skadesforsikring
- Representing AXA XL in an international arbitration regarding insurance coverage and subrogation rights in relation to certain renewable energy facilities.
- Representing Garantifonden for Skadesforsikring, the Danish Guarantee Fund for Non-life Insurers, in a dispute regarding whether the Danish Guarantee Fund, as a consequence of the bankruptcy of the Danish insurance company Alpha Insurance, is liable to indemnify the Norwegian Guarantee Scheme for payments to certain injured Norwegian workers.
- Acting for AP Pension in a number of complex cases regarding alleged insurance fraud, mainly relating to work ability loss, and claims brought by the insured before The Insurance Complaints Board.
At Lundgrens, the insurance group specialises in life insurance and high-profile professional liability matters, acting for accountants, board members and lawyers. In particular, the group has notable litigation and arbitration expertise and is frequently instructed in claims arising from bankruptcies, financial losses and tax issues. The team is led by Jesper Hjetting, who has additional experience in establishing insurance companies and formulating insurance terms in contracts. The group also assists with insurance matters relating to real estate transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Nicholai B. Sørensen; Michael Amstrup
Topdanmark Life Insurance
HDI Gerling Insurance
Dahlberg Insurance Brokers
APC Insurance Brokers
Willis Tower Watson
SISA, Pension Fund
The Danish Guarantee Fund for Non-Life Insurance Companies
Lægernes Pension (Danish Physicians’ Pension Fund)
APC, Pension Brokers
ISP (Danish Engineers’ Pension Fund)
- Acted as counsel to the former mayor of Taarnby, who was a former member of the board of directors of Amagerbanken, in a case concerning director’s and officer’s alleged liability.
- Represented the former CEO of the now-collapsed Eik Bank in a professional liability case brought by Finansiel Stabilitet.
- Represented the former public accountant of the collapsed bank Løkken Sparekasse in a professional liability matter.
Lundsgaard & Partnere’s insurance team is led by Søren Lundsgaard, who has extensive experience in professional liability cases, representing directors and board members in court proceedings and preliminary investigations. As a litigation boutique specialising in litigation and arbitration proceedings, the firm also acts in general commercial and D&O disputes, as well as advising on the interpretation and preparation of new insurance products. The team has cross-border insurance experience, especially in litigation concerning Faroe Islands and Greenland entities.
‘I think the experience and skill when handling complex D&O court cases is near the very top of the Danish market – if not the top. The dedication and knowledge are highly respected by us.’
‘Søren Lundsgaard is a very clever insurance litigator.’
‘I primarily work with Søren Lundsgaard. I believe he stands out due to a combination of, on one side, knowledge and experience – something that some other peers also have – but in, on the other side, the tactical understanding of defending a D&O claim, from the complex legal arguments down to the practicalities of getting the D&O’s to work together in the most efficient way. It is of outmost importance to have an understanding of all the dynamics in a D&O case in order to make the best strategy and I have always been impressed with Søren’s tactical approach.’
AIG Europe Limited
Codan Forsikring A/S (RSA)
FSN Capital Partners A/S
- Represented private equity fund FSN Capital Partners A/S in a dispute against a warranty & indemnity insurance company for a insurance cover claim of €50m.
- Representing four members of the former management of the cooperative bank Andelskassen J.A.K. Slagelse in relation to an action brought by Andelskassen J.A.K. Slagelse with a claim for compensation of DKK14m.
- Represented a former chairman of the board in a case regarding board members’ liability in relation to the bankruptcy of the Danish bank Amagerbanken, with a claim originally amounting to more than DKK1bn.
Jointly led by Kolding-based Ulrik Christrup and Christiane Feist in Hamburg, the insurance team at Andersen Partners is best known for handling insurance litigation and arbitration proceedings, particularly for clients with operations in Kolding. The practice focuses on representing clients in claims proceedings relating to fire, transport damages and product liability issues.
Ulrik Christrup; Christian Feist
Michael S. Wiisbye , Jan Presfeldt and Michael Kjær Lauritsen jointly lead the Nielsen Nørager insurance practice, which has expertise ranging from dispute resolution to insurance contracts; professional liability litigation, commercial issues and product liability claims are particular areas of focus for the team. Singled out for his ‘exceptional insurance knowledge’, Wiisbye has experience in arbitration proceedings and cases before the Supreme Court concerning fundamental principles in Danish insurance and tort law.
Michael S. Wiisbye; Jan Presfeldt; Michael Kjær Lauritsen
‘Excellent knowledge of insurance.’
‘Michael Wiisbye stands out.’
‘Quick, informal and practical approach.’
‘Michael S. Wiisbye is a market leader in insurance disputes. He stands out due to his exceptional insurance knowledge and a very solid and calm way of litigating.’
‘Nielsen Nørager is a highly respected Danish law firm and the insurance partners are well known for their dispute resolution work and their ability to obtain a high level market knowledge relevant to the cases they conduct.’
24 international insurance companies and insurance consortiums in the so-called Siri Case.
- Represented Codan in a large insurance case regarding insurance coverage relating to the death of a very large stock of pigs.
- Represented a large construction company in the High Court of Greenland regarding a large insurance claim based on liability in connection with a large construction project.
- Represented Tryg Insurance in an Eastern High Court case establishing legal principles concerning whether ex gratia insurance coverage, which according to the insurance contract could have been rejected, obligated the insurance company to cover such damages in the future.