Accura Advokatpartnerselskab acts on behalf of major players in the commercial and corporate insurance markets, specialising in insurance litigation and arbitration proceedings. It has particular expertise within D&O, professional indemnity and W&I insurances, all-risk insurance and project coverage. Practice head Jacob Møller Dirksen is regularly instructed by international and domestic clients and ‘is a leading individual with regard to M&A insurance and product liability insurance’.
Firms in the Spotlight Insurance
Insurance in Denmark
Jacob Møller Dirksen
Other key lawyers:
Daniel Haue Jakobsson
‘We used Accura as our partner-firm to assist in providing Danish law advice on a complicated construction insurance matter with jurisdiction issues. We found them approachable, responsive and very astute in understanding our client’s requirements.’
‘Daniel Haue Jakobsson – Knowledgeable, responsive and easy to work with.’
‘The team distinguishes itself by being particularly knowledgeable in M&A insurance, professional liability insurance and product liability insurance.’
‘Jacob Møller Dirksen is a leading individual in regard to M&A insurance and product liability insurance – his thinking is smart and he has a good understanding of the complexity in the matters.’
‘Extensive experience in Danish insurance law.’
‘Mainly dealt with Jakob Møller Dirksen, who provided good practical advice in a helpful and timely fashion. Very easy to deal with, and responsive.’
Crawford & Company
HDI Specialty SE
MSIG Insurance Europe AG
- Representing multiple insurance companies in one of Denmark’s largest current multi-party construction liability and insurance disputes following the massive fire at Experimentarium (Copenhagen Scientific Centre).
- Appointed liquidator and later trustee for the €370m insurance company Gefion Insurance A/S with more than 425,000 active policyholders situated in Ireland, the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Poland and Denmark.
- Advised Alm. Brand on its acquisition of the Danish business of Codan from the Tryg and Intact Groups for DKK12.6bn.
Bech-Bruun specialises in insurance disputes, with particular experience in litigation concerning professional indemnity, product liability, life insurance and marine insurance claims. Practice head Anne Buhl Bjelke is a corporate and regulatory insurance law expert and has experience in high-profile dispute resolution as well as running portfolios of insurance claims. Another name to note is Jes Anker Mikkelsen , who has extensive shipping, offshore and energy insurance expertise. The group also handles warranty and indemnity insurance claims.
Anne Buhl Bjelke
Other key lawyers:
Jes Anker Mikkelsen; Camilla Søbjerg Nielsen; Mogens Gaarden
‘They are very proactive, have an extensive knowledge of insurance broking and work under tight deadlines.’
‘Bech-Bruun are my go-to firm in Denmark because they are proactive and commercial as well as being strong on the law.’
‘Very knowledgeable and pragmatic. Understands the industry and how the regulators work.’
‘Bech-Bruun has a team with insight into all aspects of the insurance business. Regulatory affairs, underwriting and risk. The team is big enough to be ready available and they are transparent in their terms of assistance and billing.’
‘Anne Buhl Bjelke has second to none knowledge about insurance regulatory and corporate issues and provides advice that is practicable and user friendly.’
American International Group (AIG)
Amager Ressource Center I/S (ARC)
City of Aarhus
Enstar EU limited
HDI-Gerling Verzekeringen N.V.
Howden Insurance Brokers AB
JT3 Klima A/S
Santander Insurance/Santander Life
UK Defence Club
Velliv (previously Nordea Liv og Pension)
- Represented Danica Pension in litigation filed by one of Danica Pension’s business customers, an employer, regarding a large company pension scheme concerning more than 1,000 employees. The litigation concerns the employer’s termination of the contract with Danica Pension.
- Representing Howden Insurance Brokers AB as defence counsel in litigation in the wake of the insolvencies of Gable Insurance AG and the Danish policy provider, Husejernes Forsikring.
- Assisted Gjensidige Forsikring with the acquisition of the Danish insurance company NEM Forsikring.
DLA Piper Denmark is regularly instructed on multi-jurisdictional insurance disputes and is prominent in pension cases. The team represents Danish and foreign companies, businesses and insurance intermediaries on a range of issues, including professional and product liability claims, crime insurance and shipping and transport insurance work. The department has a strong contentious arm, with Georg Lett and Anders Julius Tengvad focusing on litigation and arbitration mandates, while Pernille Sølling specialises in life insurance and pensions law and is a favoured adviser for Danish pension funds. Lett, Tengvad and Sølling jointly head up the practice.
Georg Lett; Anders Julius Tengvad; Pernille Sølling
‘We have without exception experienced an exceptionally high professional standard as well a most service-minded approach.’
‘We experienced partner Pernille Sølling as an expert in Danish insurance law, second to none as well as a service-minded adviser.’
‘Super customer service and are always super at discussing strategy.’
‘Pernille is always up to date on practice and is extremely competent in court.’
Euro Accident Liv
Copenhagen FinTech Lab
Risk Point A/S
Europæiske ERV Rejseforsikring
- Representing Garantifonden in a claim pursuant to reinsurance policies written by Barbican in favour of Gable with a Danish insurance agent called Husejernes Forsikringsagentur as cover holder and Howden as an insurance mediator.
- Defending AP Pension in a group of individual cases, filed after a successful class action suit involving 220 claimants was dismissed.
- Defended AXA XL and AIG as co-insurers in a complex case concerning coverage under recall insurance also covering product replacement regarding worldwide deliveries of defective products.
Gorrissen Federspiel has a broad insurance practice, with mandates ranging from complex insurance and reinsurance disputes to transactional, regulatory and specialist marine insurance work. On the contentious side, Henriette Gernaa leads the group that is noted for its expertise in professional negligence claims; the team acts for major accountancy businesses and captives as well as insurers in negligence cases and D&O liability claims. Morten Nybom Bethe takes the lead on non-contentious matters, covering Danish and EU regulatory advice as well as advising on the mergers and demergers of insurance companies.
Henriette Gernaa; Morten Nybom Bethe
Other key lawyers:
Peter Appel; Jacob Skude Rasmussen; Lotte Eskesen; Kenneth Hvelplund Pedersen
‘The individuals are very approachable and quick at returning my phone call if I need urgent assistance. Many of the partners have a broad spectrum of knowledge.’
‘Excellent insight in insurance, accessible and professional.’
‘Accessible, professional and fair prices.’
‘The team is very responsive and always to the point. They have a deep knowledge of all areas of insurance (with a particular stronghold in Marine insurance) and understand how to operate complex insurance matters in a business context. They are strong and very reliable in insurance litigation and arbitration.’
‘Peter Appel is very responsive and always available. His insight into and knowledge about insurance matters (in particular in the context of the maritime industry) is unique, and his support and dedication is outstanding. He forms and positions arguments that are effective and pertinent from a legal and commercial perspective. He is a strong, credible and thorough litigator. He is forthcoming and straightforward to deal with.’
Intact Financial Corporation
FSN Capital Partners
West of England P&I
- Assisted Intact Financial Corporation in connection with the acquisition of RSA’s operations in the UK and Canada, RSA’s non-Scandinavian international business as well as the activities in Scandinavia together with Tryg.
- Representing FSN Capital Partners in arbitration proceedings regarding warranty claims totalling $150m.
- Representing Hardhaus AS in a claim based on gross negligence relating to the capsizing of a floating dock.
Specialising in insurance disputes, Kennedys has a strong track record in handling major cases in Denmark, assisting with the full spectrum of insurance and reinsurance issues with a focus on corporate and commercial insurance. Practice head Morten Christensen is a litigation specialist, concentrating on D&O issues and IPO claims, as well as professional indemnity insurance. The group also has a growing workers compensation practice, led by associate Thomas Arleth and senior associate Heidi Bloch, and handles coverage and defence work as well as regulatory compliance mandates.
Other key lawyers:
Thomas Arleth; Heidi Bloch
‘Highly qualified experts in the insurance industry. Individually tailored solutions for each specific request. When dealing with cross-border issues, Kennedys involves its lawyers from different jurisdictions, which allows it to consider the issue deeply and to ensure all the aspects are reviewed.’
Plesner‘s insurance team ‘ranks as one of the top teams within the industry field.’ It represents several of the largest insurance and pension funds in Denmark, advising on a variety of matters including insurance for loss of earning capacity, personal injury issues and matters relating to fire, storm, theft and other property damage. The team is also active in reinsurance matters and matters related to insurance mediation. The ‘highly respected’ Torben Bondrop is ‘one of the most sought-after insurance lawyers’ in the industry and leads the team that includes regulatory expert Charlotte Hasseriis Iversen.
Other key lawyers:
Charlotte Hasseriis Iversen
‘I know that the team is among the absolutely most talented lawyers in the industry. Furthermore, I know the lawyers in the team as extremely proper and sympathetic with a very high ethical standard.’
‘The insurance team at Plesner ranks as one of the top teams within the industry field. They have been and remain one of the most sought out top law firms within Insurance. They represent the largest insurance firms in Denmark and provide solid advice.’
‘The team at Plesner thrives with challenging disputes and complex cases and is able to handle all types of insurance cases with an outstanding professional attitude and overview. They are very easy to work with and have great personalities.’
‘Partner Torben Bondrop is one of the most sought-after insurance lawyers in the Insurance law industry and is highly respected and experienced. He often goes to court and is an excellent litigator and very esteemed. He is also an excellent tactician as well as extremely trustworthy.’
‘Strong analytical and organisational skills. We are impressed by Plesner’s ability to coordinate and drive forward an insurance transaction of very significant proportions. In every contact we have had with the team, they have been on top of things and had a rational and pragmatic way forward.’
‘Market-leading team of insurance law specialists with the skills and the experience to deal with every single aspect of Danish Insurance Law and Tort Law.’
‘Charlotte Hasseriis Iversen – Deep insight in regulatory matters related to M&A and transactions broadly. Very service-minded and to the point advice plus good insight and understanding of dynamics with regulatory authorities.’
BNP Paribas Cardif
Alm. Brand Forsikring
AnaCap Financial Partners
Dental Accident Appeal Agency
- Assisted Tryg A/S with its acquisition, together with Canadian Intact, of British RSA for a total consideration of DKK60bn.
- Assisting PFA Pension and Danica Pension with a large number of disability insurance claims, where there is a suspicion of fraud.
- Assisting Topdanmark and its policyholder HME A/S in a High Court case and an arbitration case concerning large subrogation claims from Zürich Insurance, Codan (RSA) and Tryg Insurance based on a very large fire in a Danish public institution by the name of ‘Experimentariet’ also damaging several adjacent buildings.
Boutique firm ARK Advokatpartnerselskab specialises in litigation and dispute resolution in the insurance and pension industries, acting for commercial businesses and public authorities. The group is divided into a number of sub-specialised practice groups with Jesper Ravn taking the lead on insurance fraud, cyber and crime insurance, and compliance issues; Allan Kvist-Kristensen heading up the product liability and risk management, and property insurance teams; Thomas Dall Jensen focusing on professional indemnity and financial lines work, and Anne Mette Myrup Opstrup handling personal injury claims and life and health insurance matters.
Jesper Ravn; Allan Kvist-Kristensen; Thomas Dall Jensen; Anne Mette Myrup Opstrup
Velliv Liv og Pension
- Representing DBU (Danish Football Association) in an ongoing dispute with the Danish Football Players association regarding coverage for national team players.
- Representing Gjensidige Forsikring in a Supreme Court case regarding the interpretation of art. 3 in the Motor Insurance Directive and the interpretation of the Vnuk-ruling by the ECJ under Danish Law.
- Representing Tryg Forsikring in an €80m possible reclaim matter arising out of a fire in Belgium.
Horten provides a full-service insurance offering, handling both contentious and non-contentious work for major insurers and brokers in the Danish market. The team has a particular focus on commercial insurance disputes, often with cross-border elements. The ‘very talented’ Christina Steen heads up the practice and specialises in professional liability insurance and matters pertaining to the liability of executives and board members.
‘The team is high qualified within insurance. They always provide concrete and useful advice at a very high level.’
‘Christina Steen is very talented and has many years of experience within insurance. She always provides excellent and usable counselling.’
‘Unique expertise in insurance issues, especially regulatory. Very few law firms offer insurance law advice. Horten is able to provide such services in even the most complicated matters.’
‘The main qualities of the team are availability, reactivity, very good communication. Advice, risk analysis and follow-up of the case given were of an excellent quality. It was highly appreciated.’
Willis Towers Watson
Gable Insurance AG
The Appeals Board of the Patient Compensation Association
- Advising Allianz on various product liability matters.
- Representing a former board member of a Danish company in a case, which is part of the so-called “beneficial owner” group of cases.
- Advising various national and international insurance companies on Danish legal and regulatory requirements for insurance activities in Denmark.
Kromann Reumert has extensive experience in the pension, life and non-life insurance sector. It advises both Danish and foreign companies, with practice co-head Jens Steen Jensen working primarily with financial institutions, advising on insurance regulation concerning M&A, corporate law and capital markets matters. Jakob Rosing jointly leads the group that also has expertise in marine and transport insurance and product liability, D&O liability and prospectus liability cases. For litigation and arbitration matters, Jens Rostock-Jensen is recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Jacob Høeg Madsen; Jens Rostock-Jensen
‘Jacob Høeg Madsen is a leading legal adviser in respect of the regulatory framework concerning life insurance and pension funds.’
AIP Management (PKA)
Arch Re Accident & Health
Chubb Insurance Company of Europe
Global Dental Insurance
P+ (former DIP & JØP)
Norli Pension Livsforsikring
Velliv, Pension & Livsforsikring
Royal and Sun Alliance (RSA Group)
Dahlberg Assurance Agentur A/S
Lockton Companies LLP
- Acted for Finansiel Stabilitet in pursuing a claim in arbitration against the D&O underwriters of the former management of Capinordic Bank.
- Assisted Lockton Insurance Brokers Denmark ApS with entering into an agreement (asset deal) with respectively Penfor Pensionsforsikringsmæglerselskab P/S and Skinnerup Consulting regarding purchase of certain business from them.
- Representing engineering consultancy COWI and its liability insurer If Insurance in a dispute concerning construction of a campus building.
Lundsgaard & Partnere is a litigation boutique specialising in litigation and arbitration proceedings. It is instructed on a large number of professional liability cases representing directors, board members and financial institutions in court proceedings and preliminary investigations. The team also has expertise in post-M&A disputes that often involve private equity funds and W&I insurance claims. Practice head Søren Lundsgaard is an expert in professional liability insurance and also advises on policy conditions.
‘I think the most unique thing they have is being involved in more or less all the relevant D&O cases on the side of the insured. I also think their approach to the actual defence of the insured group is quite unique. They understand the court room dynamics and the dynamics in a group with many D&O that are sued. It is not only the facts that are relevant. It is the whole defence strategy.’
‘Søren Lundsgaard is top of his field. He’s a personality in the whole field of D&O liability and is a key figure overall in the Danish Insurance and Liability network.’
‘Very good insurance litigation boutique law firm.’
‘Søren Lundsgaard is an excellent litigator and always keeps focus of the overall goal and strategy of the dispute.’
‘I like that the firm is specialized in the few things that they do. This reassures me that they are capable and up to date with the issues they are dealing with.’
‘Personal and solution oriented. A good atmosphere even when it is tough.’
AIG Europe Limited
AIG UK Ltd
Codan Forsikring A/S (RSA)
FSN Capital Partners A/S
New Nordic Advisors
- Advised FSN Capital Partners A/S in relation to an M&A dispute where Warranty & Indemnity insurance limit was paid for damages related to its acquisition of the target company.
- Regularly advises cross-boarder insurance companies as coverage counsel in complex legal disputes.
Nielsen Nørager handles a broad range of insurance matters, including disputes, insurance contracts, and the drafting and amendment of insurance conditions. The practice is jointly led by Michael S. Wiisbye, Jan Presfeldt and Michael Kjær Lauritsen, and regularly participates in board work for trade associations including the Danish Association of Insurance Law and the International Insurance Law Association. It also has particular expertise in regulatory insurance and reinsurance mandates.
Michael S. Wiisbye; Jan Presfeldt; Michael Kjær Lauritsen
‘The firm seems very well organised.’
‘Michael Wiisbye is one of the most skilled insurance-lawyers I have worked with. He has a great combination of being a very orderly, patient and calm and at the same time he always comes up with hard-hitting arguments and has a very strong rhetoric.’
‘Michael Kjær Lauritsen has a special ability to quickly get into a complex problem, form an overview, layout a strategy, and communicate legal arguments in an efficient and understandable way without losing sense of detail. He is also very pleasant even when he is put under great pressure.’
If P&C Insurance
Alm Brand Insurance
Skuld Marine insurance
- Represented one of Denmark’s largest corporations, Danfoss A/S, in a dispute with two insurance companies concerning coverage for a world-wide recall of defect valves used in automobiles and many commercial products.
- Represented the Danish insurance company Codan Insurance in a dispute regarding the infection of thousand of pigs.
- Represented ALKA (on behalf of the insured) in a Supreme Court case establishing legal principles concerning whether a person who is passively watching a wrongful action can be held liable for his/hers passive participation, or whether only the person actively causing the damage can be held liable.
Poul Schmith acts on both national and international insurance matters, representing major players in the insurance and pension industries including claim adjusters, corporate enterprises and, primarily, the Danish Government. The practice is led by the ‘fantastic’ Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen, who has extensive experience as an advocate in court as well as in arbitration and mediation proceedings. The group also has expertise in the defence of liability and policy-based coverage issues, with Sigrid Majlund Kjærulff being the name to note in this area.
Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen
Other key lawyers:
Christian Bo Kolding-Krøger; Sigrid Majlund Kjærulff; Inge Houe
‘The Insurance team operates with outstanding professionalism and has the proper approach in public sector disputes with the extra element of political context. In regards to personal injury, the team has the leading professionals in the industry, with excessive knowledge, experience and talent. The team excel in understanding what the client needs and have a remarkable foresight in difficult cases. Furthermore, they always provide the client with extremely useful and practical advice, because of their insight into the industry.’
‘The team is assembled by the leading experts in their legal niche of insurance law. In complex cases, drawing on competencies from other parts of the firm so you get the right legal advice every time.’
‘The individual specialists have all familiarized themselves with our needs, our history, values and can thus give us legal advice that surpasses the pure legal sparring within insurance law – it embraces all aspects of our company DNA.’
‘The team is composed of the best experts in insurance law, who have a wide range of different legal niche areas.’
‘What distinguishes the law firm, Poul Schmith, from other law firms is the understanding of the public sector and the actions in the political space.’
‘My experience of this team is that they are extremely well coordinated and well resourced. It comprises strong and experienced lawyers. There is consistency in the service delivery and they understand their clients’ needs. They have excellent advocates who provide solid legal advice in a very commercial manner. I was impressed by the coordination between teams and the breadth of their service offering.’
‘Henrik Nedergaard Thomsen is a fantastic advocate – he is smooth and compelling. He also provides extremely commercial advice and fully understands his clients’ needs. He is extremely user friendly (in my experience for both Scandinavian and UK clients).’
‘Sigrid Majlund Kjærulff goes the extra mile and then some for her clients. She has an excellent grasp of the detail. She is a real team player and an absolute pleasure to work with. Her organisational and project management skills are invaluable.’
AXA XL, a division of AXA
The Travelers Indemnity Company
Lloyds Insurance Company S.A.
Canopius Managing Agent Limited
Sedgwick in Ireland
AIG Europe Limited
Chubb European Group SE
Tryg Forsikring A/S
Sedgwick in Denmark (Sedgwick Leif Hansen A/S)
Codan Forsikring A/S
Garantifonden for Skadesforsikringsselskaber (Guarantee Fund for Non-Life Insurers)
DSB (Danish State Railways)
Force Technology A/S
City of Hillerød
City of Ringsted
City of Slagelse
City of Ballerup
City of Federiksberg
City of Mariagerfjord
City of Federikssund
City of Norddjurs
Banedanmark (Rail Net Denmark)
Bygningsstyrelsen (Danish Building and Property Agency)
Naturstyrelsen (Danish Nature Agency)
Politiet (Danish National Police)
Erstatningsnævnet (Victims’ Compensation Board)
Civilstyrelsen (Civil Affairs Agency)
Arbejdsmarkedets Erhvervssikring (Labour Market Insurance)
Ankestyrelsen (Social Appeals Board)
Patienterstatningen (Patient Compensation Association)
Ankenævnet for Patienterstatningen (Patient Complaints Board)
Styrelsen for Patientklager (Danish Agency for Patient Complaints)
Finanstilsynet (Danish Financial Supervisory Authority)
- Representing Travelers in a cross-border product liability related recourse claim regarding the failure of capacitors causing malfunction in vacuum pumps and recall of a substantial number of vehicles in the US market.
- Represented AXA XL, a division of AXA in an international arbitration regarding a professional indemnity insurance coverage claim in relation to certain renewable energy facilities.
- Represented Canopius and Lloyd’s in several disputes in relation to building damage insurance policies, including coverage litigation brought by the insured against the insurer and recourse litigation brought by the insurer against the developer.
Andersen Partners is best known for its insurance litigation expertise, handling the full spectrum of issues for clients with operations in Kolding. Practice leadership is split between Ulrik Christrup and Christiane Feist, who are based in Kolding and Hamburg, respectively. The group has particular expertise in transport damages, with Lissi Andersen Roost being the name to note in this area.
Ulrik Christrup; Christian Feist
Other key lawyers:
Lissi Andersen Roost