Intellectual property in Czech Republic
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's market-leading intellectual property practice is led by Jiří Čermák and handles a range of complex patent matters and portfolio management. The team is experienced in handling Slovak law matters and regularly undertakes cross-border work in neighbouring Slovakia and Poland. Senior associate Kristína Bartošková represents clients in IP litigation and domestic arbitration, with a particular focus on domain name disputes.
Laufen / Roca Group
L’Oreal SA / The Body Shop
Československá obchodní banka, a.s. (ČSOB)
Bristol Myers Squibb
- Acting for Danone in a case concerning counterfeited baby powder products and a distribution network of such counterfeits.
- Representing Laufen/Roca Group in litigation concerning damages arising from trade mark infringement.
- Advising Baxalta and its affiliates on transfers of patents and trade mark rights related to its separation from Baxter International.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář has a reputation as a pre-eminent firm in the intellectual property space. Vojtěch Chloupek, who also acts as a specialist IP arbitrator, the team advises on patents, trademarks, and copyright, and handles IP litigation for a wide-ranging client base which includes leading domestic and international companies. Senior associate Andrea Jarolímková has expertise in data protection and advises clients on privacy matters. The practice group has been further strengthened with the addition of two new associates, Kateřina Floriánová and Denisa Švecová, who joined from local IP boutique Cermák a spol. and have extensive trade mark expertise.
Nadace Terezy Maxové dětem
Charles University in Prague
Biolandes Technologies SAS
- Successfully challenging potentially infringing trade mark applications by Centrepoint Verne by filing two opposition actions in the Czech Republic on behalf of Verne Global.
- Advising APS Holding, a leading debt recovery and investment platform in Central and South-East Europe, on the management of its trade mark portfolio and assisted with the registration of trade marks around the world.
- Advising Charles University in Prague on patent rights, licensing and the establishment of a subsidiary company.
ROWAN LEGAL is a name to note for intellectual property work, and is singled out for its 'absolute customer orientation and dedication to clients'. The team advises on the full spectrum of IP matters, such as international trade marks, copyright and patent registration, infringement and licensing, and regularly handles domestic and cross-border litigation. Led by IT specialist Josef Donát and Michal Nulíček, the team frequently works alongside the TMT practice. Other team members include senior associate Bohuslav Lichnovský, whose speciality lies in data protection, and of counsel Kristýna Kovaříková, who advises foreign companies on IP and IT law.
Josef Donát; Michal Nulíček
‘This is a great team full of professionals. The IP team has great knowledge and broad experience within IP law, including representing clients before the authorities. They have a business-minded approach, and provide great added value and innovative solutions. The team also co-operates closely with the TMT and dispute resolution teams, which means that there is a single point of contact and nothing needs to be duplicated.’
‘Michal Nulíček and Bohuslav Lichnovský are great professionals with vast knowledge of IP law. They bring innovative ideas and at the same time are very precise with contracts and licensing terms.‘
Hlavní město Praha (The City of Prague)
T-Mobile Czech Republic
SAP ČR, spol. s r.o.
Škoda Auto DigiLab
Cisco Systems (Czech Republic) s.r.o.
NVision Czech Republic
- Acting for the City of Prague in a copyright infringement dispute in relation to the use of unauthorised software.
- Acting for fashion brand Dragonfly trading in a cross-border trade mark dispute.
- Advising global packaging company Deufol on the registration of trade marks for its flagship product.
Allen & Overy
At Allen & Overy, the IP practice is led by Prokop Verner and advises a multinational client base on trade marks, patents, copyright and domain names, among other matters. The team also includes Markéta Císařová and associate Jakub Cech, who have experience in contentious IP and represent clients in litigation and arbitration before the national courts. The duo also focuses on unfair competition matters, and Cech has expertise in copyright enforcement online.
‘Marketa Cisarova and Jakub Cech have a fair and professional attitude, while remaining tough opponents. They make a good team; each of them is always ready to take over where the other left off.’
Škoda Auto DigiLab s.r.o.
- Advising Škoda Auto DigiLab on the IP aspects of Škoda’s connected cars and smart cities technology projects.
The IP practice at CMS has strength in handling complex domestic and international IP disputes, particularly for clients in the automotive and TMT sectors. Led by Tomáš Matějovsky, who counts a number of multinationals as clients, the team also advises on trade mark licencing and registration. Petr Beneš specialises in IP and regulatory matters, particularly advising on designs and patents.
Yolt Services, M7 Group and UPC DTH
Česká Asociace Satelitních Operátorů
- Advising ČSOB on IP issues and trade mark licensing in connection with the acquisition of a 45% stake in the Czech building savings bank Českomoravská stavební spořitelna (ČMSS).
- Representing satellite TV broadcasting service providers Yolt Technology Services, M7 Group and UPC DTH in several disputes with three major collecting societies in the Czech Republic over the royalty fees for satellite TV broadcasting.
- Advising a Czech association of satellite operators in negotiations with collecting societies over tariffs and rates of copyright royalties in the Czech Republic, as well as representing the client in judicial and mediation proceedings.
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law
HAVEL & PARTNERS s.r.o., attorneys at law advises on a wide range of IP matters, including registration and enforcement. The team regularly acts on matters in Slovakia as well as in the Czech Republic. The practice is headed by a trio of partners: Ivan Rámeš, who advises long-term international clients on the management of their IP portfolios; Robert Nešpůrek, who is noted for IP litigation; and the 'experienced and business-oriented' Jan Diblik, who focuses on the technology and media sectors.
Robert Nešpůrek; Ivan Rámeš; Jan Diblík
‘Ivan Rámeš is a highly skilled and co-operative expert in IP with very good knowledge of our business needs and internal procedures.‘
‘The firm’s main strength is its lawyers. HAVEL & PARTNERS is always able to form a team of qualified lawyers with expertise in the matter concerned. This allows them to quickly understand our needs and gain an insight into the matter.’
‘Highly professional and reliable. They surprised me with how precise and quick they are.’
‘Jan Diblãk is a very experienced and business-oriented lawyer, he is straight-forward and easy to work with. When encountering obstacles in our business, he does not stress the problem, but always searches for and finds a solution, or the best way to attain our goal.‘
Bank of China
Caesars Interactive Entertainment, Caesars Licensing Corporation
Český olympijský výbor (Czech Olympic Committee)
Czech Ministry of Justice
Hard Rock Café
Parfumes Christian Dior
- Advising Crocs on the enforcement of industrial property rights in the import and sale of counterfeits.
- Advising the Investment and Business Development Agency of the Czech Republic, CzechInvest, on IP issues.
- Advising Pivovary Staropramen in industrial property matters in the Czech Republic and Slovakia, as well as the wider EU region.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's 'very professional, accurate and accommodating' IP team has particular expertise in the technology sector, advising on traditional IP matters and tech-specific issues such as the implementation of large-scale IT infrastructure and software licensing. Under the leadership of Jaroslav Tajbr, the team has vast cross-border experience, regularly acting alongside the firm's offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong on IP infringement matters, and assisting the broader European network. Hana Gawlasová, who also heads the TMT practice, is recommended along with associate Petra Věžníková.
‘The whole team is absolutely professional. The selected specialists have absolutely exceptional knowledge and have a good sense of detail.’
‘Jaroslav Tajbr is a very experienced IP and commercial lawyer. He is very responsive and personable, his focus is on the client, and he wants to get the best results that he can for a client without wasting the client’s time or money.‘
‘Hana Gavlasova is very good, experienced lawyer and has a great understanding of the client’s business. She is very personable and doesn’t just oversee the work but does the work herself if needed and gets fully involved in a deal. She wants the best for the client.‘
Infor Global Solutions
Elixír do škol
Gruppo Teddy (Titantex)
- We are advising a Slovak technology start-up focusing on artificial intelligence; Rastislav Brencic on structuring its IP portfolio.
- Advised a client in the education sector on IP issues.
- Advised Czech-based company ERC-Tech on licensing.
- Working with the shareholders of ZOOM International a.s. on the implementation of a demerger and subsequent merger of management business. We provided intellectual and industrial property and licensing advice for the spin-off that resulted in the creation of Ytica.com a.s
Kocián Šolc Balaštík is described as 'flexible and competent' and advises on the full spectrum of IP matters, with a particular focus on the IT sector, acting for both local and international clients. Practice head Hana Heroldová is noted for her strength in the pharmaceutical and healthcare sectors. She is supported by Drahomír Tomašuk and Petra Mirovská.
Škoda Auto DigiLab
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
Národní divadlo (the Czech National Theatre)
Megiedon (now Profimedia.CZ)
School My Project
Ostravské vodárny a kanalizace
Pivní lázně Praha
- Represented Centrum chytrých fasád, as the claimant, in a dispute over copyright and a utility model, and subsequently represented the client in enforcement proceedings against the defendant.
- Advised Pivní lázně Praha on the IP aspects of its business, including its further expansion.
PRK Partners handles a wide range of IP work, particularly in the copyright protection arena. Led by Michal Matějka, the practice has expertise in the TMT sector, and regularly advises on the IP aspects of transactions. Patent and trade mark litigation also features in the team's workload. The team has the capacity to undertake cross-border work; Radan Kubr and Marek Procházka are the key contacts for international matters due to their Swiss law expertise.
CET 21 spol. s r.o. (member of CME Group)
Martin Joseph Barry, a founder of the non-profit entity reSite
Volvo Construction Equipment AB
SCS Software s.r.o.
Stock Polska Sp. z.o.o.
ICCI – International Cannabis and Cannabinoids Institute s.r.o.
- Advising TV Nova (a member of CME Group) on the Czech law relating to copyright, personal rights, trade marks and related rights.
- Advising Rolex on the protection of its IP rights in the Czech Republic.
- Advised the current majority owner of Zoom International on key IP-related matters in a demerger project and subsequent investment into the demerged entity.
Taylor Wessing Czech Republic's IP group is led by Karin Pomaizlová and has extensive experience of acting on IP enforcement and trade mark prosecutions for international clients, particularly in the pharmaceutical, tobacco, and food and beverage fields. Senior associate Martin Loučka is also recommended.