Firms in the Spotlight Transport (including shipping)
Transport (including shipping) in Bulgaria
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria’s transport practice chiefly acts on behalf of the government, advising municipalities and ministries on port operations, railway and metro refurbishment and extension, and road infrastructure projects. The team is jointly lead by the ‘first-class’ Stoyan Barzakov and Magdalena Valova, who has extensive experience in drafting PPP arrangements and structuring public tender processes. Outside of government work, it assisted in Manchester Airport Group’s bid for the €3.9bn concession to operate Sofia Airport, and the European Railways consortium on the performance of its contractual obligations as the winning bidder of a tender to construct a section of railway.
Stoyan Barzakov; Magdalena Valova
‘A first class team that has an in-depth knowledge of transportation in Bulgaria and the Balkan Region.’
‘Market-leading in the aviation sector with an unparalleled knowledge of the legal and regulatory environment of the transportation sector.’
Consortium “European Railways”
Executive Agency Port Infrastructure
Ministry of Transport
Ministry of Transport, IT and Communications
Municipality of Pernik
Municipality of Plovdiv
Municipality of Ruse
Municipality of Veliko Tarnovo
Trace Sofia JSC
Manchester Airport Group
- Advising the Ministry of Transport, IT and Communications on the redevelopment of port infrastructure in Ruse.
- Advising a consortium of construction companies on the development and construction of a new railway line between Skutare and Orizovo.
- Conducted a review of feasibility study for the development of a new transport infrastructure plan for the Municipality of Veliko Tarnovo.
Boyanov & Co.’s transport practice is particularly active in aviation and aviation finance. In recent years, the firm has worked on aircraft lease arrangements and extensions, securitisation of a leased aircraft portfolio, and organising the transactional aspects of aircraft sales. The team, led by Raina Dimitrova, assisted Fraport with its concession bid for Sofia Airport, and counts WizzAir among its clients.
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services (Ireland) Limited
CIT Aerospace (currently Avolon)
Apollo Aviation Group (currently Carlyle Aviation Partners)
BOC Aviation Pte. Ltd. (former Singapore Aircraft Leasing Enterprise Pte. Ltd.)
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
General Electric Capital Aviation Services
Aviation Capital Group, US
- Advised Apollo Aviation Group in connection with the Bulgarian aspects of the securitisation of a portfolio of aircraft.
- Assisted and advised AerCap in connection with the termination of aircraft lease on the occasion of the airline bankruptcy and aircraft deregistration.
- Assisted GE Capital Aviation Services in connection with a transfer of title of a portfolio of aircraft.
Danailova, Todorov & Partners’ core focus is providing advice to municipalities, ministries and municipal transport operators on tender procedures, financing options, and issues pertinent to planned works and expansions. For consumers, the firm advised on producing the SkyRefund platform, which assists customers in claiming refunds and compensation in the event of cancelled and delayed flights. Kaloyan Todorov and Maria Danailova, joint practice heads, have expertise in public service contracts and public private partnerships, with experience drafting tender offers, structuring agreements with subcontractors, and evaluating bids.
Kaloyan Todorov; Maria Danailova
- Founded SkyRefund, an online tool which allows airline passengers to check their eligibity for compensation and refunds in the event of flight delays and cancellations.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co handles complex disputes for clients in the transport sector, including port operators, municipal transport authorities and engineering and construction firms engaged in infrastructure projects, and shipping and logistics firms concerning loss of or damage to cargo. The team is led by Ivan Todorov and Alexander Pachamanov, who acts for transport clients on regulatory, commercial, and competition law matters. Tsvetelina Dimitrova is a key contact, known for her ‘precision and detailed knowledge of EU law’, she acts for clients in aviation, urban transit, and railway construction.
Ivan Todorov; Alexander Pachamanov
‘The transport practice of Georgiev, Todorov & Co. is broad as the law firm covers shipping, aviation, as well as urban transport, which gives them a richer perspective of the issues. They have a high success rate and are experienced professionals with excellent litigation skills.’
ADM Bulgaria Logistics
BMF Port Burgas
Bulgarian River Shipping JSC
Goldair Holding Handling Bulgaria
Kambourov & Partners’ extensive transport practice counts engineering and construction firms, car manufacturers, bus fleet operators, airlines, and fee-collection subcontractors among its clients. It advises on M&A deals in the transport sector, tender participation, and ongoing contractual advice for winning bidders of infrastructural project tenders. The practice is jointly led by Stefan Tzakov and Atanas Shopov, both experts in public procurement, who have advised several winning bidders of concessions to build or operate major transport and shipping hubs.
Stefan Tzakov; Atanas Shopov
Consortium SOF Connect
Kapsch Trafficcom AG
Witte Automotive Bulgaria
- Advised Tesla on the regulatory aspects of its planned entry into the Bulgarian market.
- Advising Monolit Jsc. on the project for design and construction of a Sofia metro line.
- Handled the transactional and competition aspects of a merger between bus fleet operators Union Ivkoni and Etap Address.
Arsov Natchev Ganeva
The transport practice at Arsov Natchev Ganeva focuses on aviation. This includes aircraft leasing, airport concession agreements, contracts with ground handling teams and litigation. It also advises on general compliance in a highly regulated sector, including assisting clients to obtain licences and authorisations. In airport concession bids, the firm acts for both the government and bidders – most notably for First State Investment’s and AENA’s bid to operate Sofia Airport. Svetlana Ganeva and Vladimir Natchev lead the team.
Svetlana Ganeva; Vladimir Natchev
First State Investments
Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications of the Republic of Bulgaria
AS 24 Bulgaria EOOD
Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana S.p.A
International Air Transport Association
- Advised First State Investments and AENA on preparing their bid for the $3.9bn Sofia Airport concession.
- Advises Alitalia on an ongoing basis regarding its operations in Bulgaria.
- Advising IATA on its clearing operations between companies operating on the air traffic market.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co’s transport practice acts for domestic and international freight and shipping services. The team drafts contracts, prepares consignment notices, and ensures compliance with environmental regulations. The firm also advises logistics clients on employment issues and assists with debt collection. Another key focus is transport infrastructure; the team advised Manchester Airport Group on its participation in the bid to operate Sofia Airport, and acted for the airport in abuse of dominance proceedings before the CPC. Practice head Donka Stoyanova focuses on air transport and airport operations and services, while associate Tsvetelina Georgieva acts in disputes.
Manchester Airports Group (part of Vitosha Consortium)
Sisecam Automotive Bulgaria
Mega Trucking Bulgaria
(part of EWALS Cargo Care Group)
J Nap International Transportbedrijf
Tradenet Varna, Pharmnet, Mareshki pharmacy chain
- Advising Mega Trucking Bulgaria on an ongoing basis.
- Advised the lenders to one of the bidders for the €3.9bn Sofia Airport Concession.
- Acting for Sofia Airport in contentious matters before the Bulgarian CPC regarding allegations of abuse of dominance.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov’s wide-ranging practice handles major infrastructural projects, advising participants in high-value public tender procedures for railway, airport, and road construction projects. On the transport services side, the firm’s client base includes vehicle manufacturers, airline operators, and shipping firms. It is also highly experienced in competition compliance, environmental regulation, litigation, contract amendment, distribution agreements, and financing. Zdravka Ugrinova and Milan Pandev jointly lead the team; they also head the firm’s corporate practice, and the energy practice, respectively.
Zdravka Ugrinova; Milan Pandev
‘The advice was simply right, in a rather complicated matter.’
ERG Insaat Ticaret ve Sanayi AS
Daimler Chrysler AG
Wizz Air Hungary Kft
ASL AIRLINES BELGIUM S.A.
MAN SE, MAN Truck & Bus AG and MAN Truck & Bus Deutschland GmbH
Toto Costruzioni Generali S.p.a.
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles, S.A. (CAF SA)
The Export Import Bank of China (CEXIM)
Zim Israel Navigation Company Ltd.
Sojitz Corporation of America
JMAC Air, LLC
Karsan Otomotiv Sanayii ve Tic. A.S.
Patria Land Oy
FORD OTOMOTİV SANAYI A
CK Holdings Co., Ltd.
Alstom Transport SA
Rail Cargo Austria AG
Ekol Lojistik A.S.
XOP Logistics OOD
- Advised Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles on its participation in a €345m public procurement procedure to build and maintain 42 new trains.
- Advises ITS (Intelligent Transport Systems Association) on its participation in tender procedures to supply electric buses to municipalities.
- Advised Karan Otomotiv on its distribution agreements in EU member states.
Kinkin & Partners focus on maritime shipping and transport, advising on marine insurance, shipping finance, preparation of contracts of carriage, licence acquisitions for cargo transfer, and cross-border transport regulation. The firm is particularly experienced in contentious matters arising from breach of contract, ships arrest and cargo retention. Vladimir Kinkin leads the team, with Nikolay Radev advising on tax and insurance aspects.