Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria stands out in the field of port infrastructure and inland shipping, where the team acts for multiplicities and government departments, including the Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications, on concessions, operations and financing matters. Also noted for its capability in airport, road and rail infrastructure projects, the group advised the Council of Ministers on an impact assessment of amendments in the Automobile Transportation Act. Stoyan Barzakov acts as lead adviser to Manchester Airport Group and Trace Group Hold and heads the practice group alongside Magdalena Valova.
Firms in the Spotlight Transport (including shipping)
Transport (including shipping) in Bulgaria
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria
Magdalena Valova; Stoyan Barzakov
Council of Ministers
Ministry of Transport, IT and Communications
Manchester Airport Group
Trace Group Hold
- Advised Manchester Airport Group on participation in the Sofia Airport concession bidding procedure.
- Advised Council of Ministers on impact assessment of major amendments in the Automobile Transportation Act.
- Advised the Ministry of Transport, IT and Communications in relation to concession of river ports.
Boyanov & Co. has a ‘deep understanding of aviation industry specifics’ and acts for foreign lessors on aircraft lease and acquisition projects with Bulgarian airlines, in addition to regulatory issues, financing and security matters. The team represented Wizz Air in two landmark appeals regarding an unjust discrimination challenge to Sofia Airport’s terminal charges, highlighting its litigation capability in this sector. Praised as ‘one of the best aircraft finance lawyers’, head of commercial Raina Dimitrova leads the practice, which also counts public procurement procedures in railway and urban transport in its caseload.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team of Boyanov & Co. has an outstanding legal competence based on a thorough knowledge of Bulgarian law and a deep understanding of aviation industry specifics, including its international dimensions.’
‘Raina Dimitrova is a brilliant lawyer and very knowledgeable on Bulgarian law and other local requirements in connection with cross-border aircraft leasing to Bulgarian airlines.’
‘Very skilled in aircraft finance matters in Bulgaria.’
‘Raina Dimitrova is an exceptional lawyer with focus, dedication, and a sharp eye for details.’
‘Raina Dimitrova is one of the best aircraft finance lawyers in Bulgaria.’
Genesis Aircraft Services Limited
Rolls-Royce & Partners Finance
FedEx Express Europe
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services
Nordic Aviation Capital
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
Maverick Horizon Limited
- Representing WIZZ Air in a series of legal battles against the introduced unification of the airport passenger charges collected at the different passenger terminals of Sofia Airport.
- Advised Dubai Aerospace Enterprise on the lease of five aircraft to the Bulgarian airline GullivAir.
- Advising the Bulgarian subsidiary of FedEx Express Europe on a regular basis on a variety of legal matters concerning its day-to-day activities, with respect to legal issues in relation to the provision of shipping and transportation services in Bulgaria.
Counting BMF Port Burgas, BalkanTel and KG Maritime Shipping among its key list of clients, Georgiev, Todorov & Co’s diverse caseload includes project developments, public procurements and concessions, in addition to the implementation of policies and litigation. Alexander Pachamanov leads the practice group and focuses on regulatory, corporate and competition matters in this space, while real estate and construction partner Miglena Peneva handles major infrastructure projects. Tsvetelina Dimitrova, who advises clients across the shipping and vehicle manufacturing industries, is a key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
Miglena Peneva; Tsvetelina Dimitrova
‘Miglena Peneva is a hard-working, goal-driven professional, whose specialism is real estate and construction, as well as projects and public procurement, and therefore is able to see all legal implications of the issues which most often leads to an effective result for the client. In addition, she is an excellent litigator with outstanding negotiation skills and this allows her to represent us in court if needed.’
Alfred C. Toepfer International
BMF Port Burgas
Duvenbeck Logística S.L.U.
KG Maritime Shipping
Port of Burgas
Solaris Bus & Coach
Sofia Bikes Association
- Advising the state company Port of Burgas on a dispute with a licensed distribution grid operator, which was a subject of consideration by the Court of Justice of the European Union.
- Supporting Solaris Bus & Coach S.A. on its participation in public procurements projects in Bulgaria for delivery of trolleybuses.
- Represented Sofia Bikes Association in the negotiations with Sofia Municipality for a first-of-its-kind concession for renting bicycles in Bulgaria.
Kambourov & Partners has demonstrable experience in large-scale projects, pertaining to metro lines, as evidence by its advice to consortium HSS-Monolit Sofia on a public procurement procedure for the design and construction of a new section of the Sofia metro, as well as highways and port concessions, among others. The team continues to expand its expertise in the automotive sector, with new client gains including Toyota. Stefan Tzakov focuses on state-related matters in this space and leads the practice alongside Atanas Shopov, who specialises in infrastructure projects.
Stefan Tzakov; Atanas Shopov
Other key lawyers:
‘A very responsive and reliable partner firm. Reasonable approach and provide practical advice.’
ICBCIL Aviation Company
Consortium HSS-Monolit Sofia
First Investment Bank
Alstom Transport S.A.
Toyota Motor Europe
- Advising ICBCIL Aviation Company on the leasing of three Airbus A320-214 aircraft from Bulgaria Air.
- Advised the consortium HSS-Monolit Sofia on a public procurement procedure for the design and construction of a new section of the Third Line of the Sofia metro.
- Advising SAAB on the development and construction of transport infrastructure for the needs of the Bulgarian military aviation.
Arsov Natchev Ganeva
Arsov Natchev Ganeva is noted for its expertise in the aviation sector, where the practice acts for airlines, aircraft leasing and manufacturing companies, lending institutions and government departments. Financing specialist Vladimir Natchev heads the transport team alongside Svetlana Ganeva, who focuses on regulatory and transactional mandates, as well as representing ground handling operators in disputes. The Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications, Italia Trasporto Aereo and First State Investments are among the practice’s key roster of clients.
Svetlana Ganeva; Vladimir Natchev
Italia Trasporto Aereo S.p.A.
First State Investments
Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications
AS 24 Bulgaria
Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana
International Air Transport Association
- Representing Italia Trasporto Aereo S.p.A., the state-owned flag carrier of Italy, in labour and other civil claims.
- Consulted First State Investments International Limited and its Consortium partner the Spanish airport operator AENA, in preparing their joint bid in the Sofia Airport Concession procedure.
- Consulted Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications regarding the projected concession over the State-owned Baltchik Airport.
Danailova, Todorov & Partners
Danailova, Todorov & Partners’ transport practice group is jointly led by named partners Kaloyan Todorov, who is praised for his ‘thorough experience in the field of transport’, and the ‘very knowledgeable’ Maria Danailova. The team continues to support the online based platform SkyRefund, which provides airline passengers with assistance to claim compensation, in representing the company’s clients in initiating court proceedings. The group also acts for public transport operators on a range of projects.
‘Kaloyan Todorov is very business oriented, great communication and problem-solving skills. Very adept in negotiations. Maria Danailova is very experienced and knowledgeable, knows when issues will arise before they occur and knows how to take all necessary precautions in order to finalise a deal successfully and risk-free.’
‘Danailova, Todorov & Partners are very professional and they get the job done. They are very adaptable and knowledgeable not only in the legal but also business aspects of the field of transport. They always provide practical solutions and maintain excellent client communications throughout the consulting process.’
‘Both Mariya and Kaloyan are great professionals. Regarding transport, I was consulted primarily by Kaloyan who has thorough experience in the transport field. I particularly appreciate his business acumen and his ability to go beyond simple legal consultations.’
‘Danailova, Todorov & Partners is a very special law firm. Boutique, highly specialised and professional. I think they are the definite leaders in this field in Bulgaria. They are very innovative and have a personal approach to their clients.’
‘I would like to point out both Maria Danailova and Kaloyan Todorov. They are fantastic experts and I am very pleased with their work. Both are very knowledgeable, professional and they were personally involved throughout the consulting process. They were very responsive also, provided feedback in a matter of hours and were very organised.’
PORR Gradezhnistvo – Niederlassung Sofia
PORR Bau – Niederlassung Sofia
Air Cargo Lines
- Advised a Bulgarian municipality regarding the performance of public transport in the context of and pursuant to the grant agreement under the Operational Programme Environment 2014-2020.
- Advised and assisted an air transport company on the acquisition of an aircraft, performed due diligence, and assumed the responsibility of an escrow agent.
- Partnered with SkyRefund to provide legal support and initiate court proceedings on all cases falling under local jurisdiction.
Notably, Dimitrov, Petrov & Co handles contentious matters arising out of the aviation sector, as the team’s caseload includes defending Bulgarian and international carriers in disputes concerning carriage contracts and bill of ladings, among others. On the non-contentious side, the practice focuses on day-to-day activities and transactions, including advising Alex 96 on the acquisition of a Gulfstream G150 business jet. Team leader and newly promoted partner Donka Stoyanova combines her expertise in competition law and dispute resolution to handle antitrust and unfair competition cases in this sector.
Other key lawyers:
Tsvetelina Georgieva; Pencho Stanchev
‘The team is very well structured, there are high-quality lawyers with diverse knowledge, background, and qualifications at every level. They are up to date with all European and local regulations and are very proactive in alerting us to anything we need to know. They have a very good international contact network which we have found very useful on several occasions.’
‘Donka Stoyanova and Tsvetelina Georgieva have been extremely helpful. Pencho Stanchev has also stepped in lately and demonstrates impressive knowledge.’
‘Works at the highest standard, able to manage transactions efficiently and highly specialised.’
Mega Trucking Bulgaria
Mareshki pharmacy chain
- Advised Alex 96 with regard to the acquisition of a Gulfstream G150 business jet.
- Representing Most 81 in a dispute with a well-known trader of passenger cars, vans and trucks.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov has an impressive client list which includes well-known airlines including Ryanair, Wizz Air and Turkish Airlines, among others. The interdisciplinary practice is well-placed to advise on the life cycle of major infrastructure and transport projects, from corporate, financing, public procurements and real estate to regulatory and dispute resolution. Practice co-leader and M&A partner Zdravka Ugrinova assists transport-sector clients with acquisitions, concessions and other corporate matters, and fellow practice head Milan Pandev focuses on public procurement procedures.
Zdravka Ugrinova; Milan Pandev
ERG Insaat Ticaret ve Sanayi
Wizz Air Hungary
ASL Airlines Belgium
MAN SE/MAN Truck & Bus/MAN Truck & Bus Deutschland
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)
The Export Import Bank of China (CEXIM)
Zim Israel Navigation Company
Sojitz Corporation of America
Karsan Otomotiv Sanayii ve Tic.
Patria Land Oy
Ford Otomotiv Sanayi
CK Holdings Co.
Rail Cargo Austria
- Advising ERG Insaat Ticaret ve Sanayi and SSB Sauerwein & Schaefer Bau in their capacity as one of the bidders for the Sofia Airport Concession tender process.
- Represented Turkish Airlines in relation to numerous insurance cargo claims and passenger claims under Regulation (EC) No 261/2004.
- Represented Bulgarian Employers’ Association Innovative Technologies BRAIT and Automotive Cluster Bulgaria in an appeal before the Supreme Administrative Court of Decision No. 32 of the Council of Ministers for non-recognition of client as representative organisation of the employers at a national level.
Schoenherr (in cooperation with Stoyanov & Tsekova) leverages the expertise of other practice groups across the firm to advise clients in the transport and logistics sectors on matters involving M&A, construction, project financing and regulatory issues, as well as litigation mandates. Head of regulatory Stefana Tsekova acts for clients in the Balkan region and Eastern Europe on a range of transport-related matters, and is supported by associates Radoslav Chemshirov and Dimitar Kairakov, who are key members of the firm’s regulatory group.
‘Brilliant lawyers, fast to understand and react to client needs.’
‘Schoenherr has been doing a fantastic job. All the lawyers are solution-oriented, highly knowledgeable and very responsive. They really understand our business and corporate goals and demonstrate excellent ability to professionally address every issue arising from our activities.’
‘Experience, promptness and high-quality service.’
‘We work with most of the lawyers in the firm. They are expeditious and competent.’
China Development Bank
VA Intertrading AG
DIF CIF 1 Rail Transport 2 B.V.
- Advised China Development Bank with respect to a €330m loan agreements to support projects in Bulgaria under the Belt and Road Initiative.
- Advising OMV Bulgaria OOD on the renewal of its port licence and port operator’s permit for Port Vidin.
- Advised DIF CIF 1 Rail Transport 2 B.V. on international private law questions regarding the sale and transfer of (and the creation of securities in relation to) rail cars manufactured and registered in Bulgaria.