Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria is the preferred adviser of numerous municipalities and governmental departments, including the Ministry of Transport and Communications and the Council of Ministers, for which the team provides advisory services on concessions, operations and financing matters in the transport sector. The core of the practice is the team’s extensive track record in port infrastructure matters, where it is active in advising on inland shipping issues and the implementation of relevant legislation. Specialist advice on air transport infrastructure, city transport infrastructure and metro extensions also comprise much of the team’s practice. Stoyan Barzakov heads the practice group alongside Magdalena Valova.
Firms in the Spotlight Transport (including shipping)
Transport (including shipping) in Bulgaria
Magdalena Valova; Stoyan Barzakov
Council of Ministers
Ministry of Transport and Communications
Trace Group Hold
- Advised Trace Group Hold on the legal aspects of a wide variety of infrastructure projects and represented the client in court.
- Assisted the Ministry of Transport and Communications with an analysis of the relevant legal aspects of opening a concession procedure for the Varna Ferry Complex.
- Assisted the Ministry of Transport and Communications with the task of analysing the possibility of terminating the concession contract for construction works on Plovdiv Central railway station.
The well-established transport practice group at Boyanov & Co. is noted for being ‘commercially minded and well versed’ in all aspects of the sector, offering a diverse range of services. The team excels in the aviation sector, where it advises foreign lessors on acquisition projects, in addition to related financing and security transactions. Regulatory, public procurement and infrastructure issues regarding railway and road transport projects are other core areas of focus for the team, alongside assisting overseas law firms with shipping issues. Team leader Raina Dimitrova is praised by clients as an ‘excellent lawyer’ and a ‘tremendous local resource’. Also the head of the firm’s commercial practice, she handles aircraft financing, tourism and procurement matters, among others. Senior associate Trayan Targov is also a key contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘Raina Dimitrova and Trayan Targov did an amazing job of making the muddy waters crystal clear in a cost-effective manner. Quite simply, it was the best experience we have had with local counsel.’
‘Raina Dimitrova and Trayan Targov were absolute stars, providing timely, clear, descriptive and cost-effective advice.’
‘Raina is very knowledgeable and experienced in dealing with cross-border aircraft leasing to Bulgarian airlines. Always willing to make herself available to get the deal over the line.’
‘Knowledge and capability to advise the London insurance market.’
‘Very clear advice and commercial, practical recommendations.’
‘I have worked with the Boyanov & Co. team on aircraft finance matters. The team is commercially minded and well versed in serving the needs of foreign leasing companies.’
‘Raina Dimitrova is an excellent lawyer and well versed in aircraft finance transactions in Bulgaria. She is a tremendous local resource for us.’
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services (Ireland)
Nordic Aviation Capital
Aurick One Limited
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
Aero Capital Solutions
Oaktree Capital Management
Airwork Holdings Limited
- Represented WIZZ Air in a series of landmark legal battles against the unification of airport passenger charges collected at the different passenger terminals of Sofia Airport, which gave rise to reimbursement claims of over €1m.
- Advised Nordic Aviation Capital on the sale of four aircraft to Bulgarian flag carrier Bulgaria Air against the background of an ongoing financial restructuring procedure under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code from which Nordic Aviation Capital successfully exited in June 2022.
- Advised British Airways in respect of liability claims related to a serious ground handling incident which occurred at the ramp of Sofia Airport.
Home to a team of ‘experienced and capable lawyers’ in the transport sector, Georgiev, Todorov & Co advises a host of domestic and international clients on the full range of matters emanating from the sector; the team counts BalkanTel, BMF Port Burgas and Port of Burgas among its core clients. Advising on implementing policy, project development, public procurement and concessions are among the team’s other specialisms, as is litigation. Recently, the team successfully represented Hemus Motorways in appealing the opening of the public procurement procedure for a high-value road maintenance project. Singled out as an ‘expert in the transport field’, Alexander Pachamanov leads the team, focusing on regulatory, competition and corporate issues in the sector. Tsvetelina Dimitrova is active on the shipping side of the practice, and is another key point of contact.
Other key lawyers:
‘The transport sector is very specific and requires legal support from experienced and capable lawyers. Georgiev, Todorov & Co. demonstrate that they have the full capacity, qualities and knowledge to meet all our requirements and expectations. The lawyers from the team are familiar with all the developments in the market and impress us with their in-depth knowledge, great negotiation skills and positive attitude to clients. The team is always ready to support the client and find the best possible solutions to each case and issue.’
‘The practice is unique due to its multidisciplinary expertise, including in specific sectors such as real estate, construction and transport, as well as offering brilliant legal assistance both in court and in relation to public procurement contracts. The lawyers are very well prepared, very persuasive, and have sound judgement. These are among the reasons why we chose to work with them on our complex, high-profile and high-value matter.’
‘Georgiev, Todorov & Co. has been our legal adviser for over five years. We have chosen their legal services due to their expertise in multiple fields and jurisdictions. The law firm was excellent in drafting its strategy, analysing all the relevant issues and negotiating the best solutions to our claims.’
‘Our team highly values the work of Alexander Pachamanov, an expert in the transport field who has industry-specific knowledge and a passion for his work. In addition, Tsvetelina Dimitrova has strong communication skills, creativity and is very responsive to various enquiries.’
Alfred C. Toepfer International
BMF Port Burgas
Bulgarian Branch Chamber “Roads”
Hemus Motorways AD
KG Maritime Shipping
Port of Burgas
Solaris Bus & Coach
Sofia Bikes Association
- Represented Hemus Motorways in appealing the opening of the public procurement procedure for the maintenance of the roads in the northwestern region of Bulgaria.
- Advised MTK Trans on agreements with the municipality of Sofia for the carriage of passengers by several city bus lines and assisted the client with collecting unpaid remuneration for the transport services performed.
- Assisted Duvenbeck Logistica with the execution in Bulgaria of a foreign court decision on the grounds of EU Regulation No. 1215/2012 on the collection of the purchase price for trucks.
Kambourov & Partners covers the full spectrum of matters in the transport sector, including corporate and financial transactions, tax, employment, competition, health and safety, IT and environmental issues. Advising clients on participation in large-scale projects is another core component of the team’s caseload, including the development of metro lines and highways and port concessions. The practice also has a growing specialism in mobility and connected car technologies; Audi is a key client in this area. The ‘strategic and methodical’ Stefan Tzakov co-leads the team with Atanas Shopov, who specialises in infrastructure matters in the rail, aviation, port and automotive industries. Associate Elena Apostolova is also a name to note.
Stefan Tzakov; Atanas Shopov
Other key lawyers:
‘The team combines expertise from all the relevant practices, including regulatory, corporate, public procurement, dispute resolution and construction, and provides seamless advice on all legal aspects of the transport sector. We have worked with them for many years and in terms of road infrastructure, underground construction and pipeline issues they have proven to be exceptional experts. Our long-term working relationship testifies to the quality of the work and the team members.’
‘The team stands out for its knowledge, true expertise and versatility. Stefan Tzakov and Atanas Shopov are the lawyers we mostly work with on transport matters. Stefan brilliantly handles public procurement and concession matters, and in addition to being a top-notch adviser, he is also an extraordinary litigator. Atanas handles the real estate and construction matters and his expertise, commercial approach, determination and negotiation skills really make him stand out among competitors.’
‘Kambourov’s transport practice draws in proven experts from multiple areas to create a powerful integrated team with the capacity to cover every possible aspect of the sector, including construction, corporate, concessions, public procurement, regulatory and litigation matters. They possess extensive knowledge of current and emerging legal issues and provide highly expert advice in a very efficient and comprehensive way.’
Consortium HSS-Monolit Sofia
Leo Aerial Systems
ICBCIL Aviation Company Limited (ICBC)
First Investment Bank
Cloud Investment Partners
- Advised the HSS-Monolit Sofia consortium on the design and construction of a new section of the third line of the Sofia Metro.
- Advised ICBCIL Aviation Company Limited in respect of the leasing of three Airbus A320-214 aircraft from Bulgaria Air AD.
- Assisted Kapsch with the implementation a toll system in Bulgaria, including advising on the multiple real estate, regulatory, construction, infrastructure, corporate and tax aspects.
Arsov Natchev Ganeva
Arsov Natchev Ganeva is most notable for its work in the aviation field, carving out specialist expertise in regulatory and compliance issues and litigation in the sector. One of the oldest aviation practices in the domestic market, the team regularly acts on behalf of a multinational client roster that includes major airlines, airports, aircraft leasing companies, manufacturers and private investors, among others. Fellow co-founders and managing partners Vladimir Natchev, a financing specialist, and Svetlana Ganeva, who handles a wide variety of complex litigation for ground handling operators, jointly lead the practice group.
Svetlana Ganeva; Vladimir Natchev
Italia Trasporto Aereo
First State Investments
Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications of the Republic of Bulgaria
Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana
International Air Transport Association
- Acted as legal consultant to Italia Trasporto Aereo, the state-owned flag carrier of Italy and legal successor to Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana.
- Advised First State Investments International Limited and AENA on preparing their joint bid for the Sofia Airport concession.
- Advised the Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications regarding the proposed concession for the state-owned Balchik Airport.
Danailova, Todorov & Partners
Danailova, Todorov & Partners frequently advises public transport operators on matters spanning project work, disputes and concessions. Of late, the group advised a transport sector client on the process of splitting up the company following a dispute between its owners. Name partner and public transport specialist Kaloyan Todorov leads the ‘very well organised’ team alongside fellow name partner Maria Danailova, who is knowledgeable about public procurement and tender offers.
Kaloyan Todorov; Maria Danailova
‘The team work very well together and cover plenty of diverse ground. They are very well organised, provide quick feedback and take very good care of their clients. The law firm has adopted legal tech and customer feedback tools that are used by professional IT companies. I enjoy the fact that my lawyers are up to date with the latest tech.’
‘Maria Danailova has deep theoretical knowledge while Kaloyan Todorov takes care of the business side of things.’
‘What sets them apart is that they are a reliable team, with flexible pricing and quick replies, and are helpful beyond what law firms typically do.’
- Advised a client in the transport sector on the process of splitting up the company.
- Advised a client regarding several significant and high-value transport projects.
- Advised a client on the amendment of a public services contract in one of Bulgaria’s bigger cities.
Advice on day-to-day issues in the transport sector, assitance with new transport projects, and representation in administrative and litigation proceedings are among the chief offerings of the team of ‘exceptional professionals’ at Dimitrov, Petrov & Co. The caseload of the team also regularly includes handling contract of carriage and bill of lading disputes, complex cases relating to EU law violations, and antitrust and unfair competition proceedings in the space. Practice leader Donka Stoyanova specialises in competition, dispute resolution, public procurement and administrative law, combining these areas of expertise to good effect when handling the full range of transport matters.
Other key lawyers:
Boyana Milcheva; Ivan Manev
‘I was impressed by the depth of legal knowledge from different practices – tax, commercial and regulatory. The full-scope service that you can get from DPC is something very valuable for my business.’
‘DPC have been our trusted advisers for years and we can recommend them as exceptional professionals in the area of transport, as well as many other areas of law. The team are young and very friendly. They know the industry well and try to speak our language instead of using complex legal concepts. The lawyers not only answer our questions but have also given us some very good ideas on how to improve our processes.’
‘Boyana Milcheva is a top lawyer who has provided us with invaluable support in terms of tax matters. Lately, we have also been working with Ivan Manev; he is still in a junior position but I think he is very competent and in my opinion he is going to advance quickly and deservedly in his career.’
Mega Trucking Bulgaria
- Advised Alex 96 on the sale of a Gulfstream G150 business jet.
- Represented Bulgaria Air in a complex case regarding the delayed payment of airport fees alleged to be unlawful state aid.
- Represented Inekon Group A.S. in a case for the recovery of receivables from the municipality of Sofia.
The large transport team at Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov brings together the firm’s across-the-board expertise to adopt an inter-disciplinary approach to transport matters. New practice head Anton Krustev was promoted to partner in January 2022 and leads much of the team’s work on large-scale projects, concessions, public procurement and complex litigation in the area of transport. M&A practice co-head Zdravka Ugrinova is another key name at partner level, advising on acquisitions, re-organisations and concessions in the sector, alongside Milan Pandev, who is noted for his acumen in projects and public procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Zdravka Ugrinova; Milan Pandev
Emma Capital Group
Multi Service Private Label
ERG Insaat Ticaret ve Sanayi
International Air Transport Association (IATA)
Wizz Air Hungary Kft
ASL Airlines Belgium
ICBC International Finance Limited
MAN SE, MAN Truck & Bus
MAN Truck & Bus Deutschland
Toto Costruzioni Generali
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles
The Export Import Bank of China (CEXIM)
Zim Israel Navigation Company
Sojitz Corporation of America
JMAC Air, LLC
Karsan Otomotiv Sanayii ve Tic
Patria Land Oy
Ford Otomotiv Sanayi
Rail Cargo Austria
- Advised ICBC International Finance Limited as Bulgarian law counsel on ship financing provided to the Navibulgar group.
- Advised Chariot Motors AD and Consortium Chariot Motors in relation to their participation in numerous domestic and international public procurement tenders for the supply of electric buses.
- Provided corporate, regulatory, employment and litigation support to Turkish Airlines.
Major transport infrastructure projects form the bulk of the workload at Schoenherr, although the team frequently handles the full suite of transport-related issues on behalf of a client list that includes BlackPeak Capital, Siemens Mobility and OMV Bulgaria. Stefana Tsekova heads the firm’s regulatory practice group and advises on acquisitions, project finance, public procurement, regulatory and corporate matters in the transport and logistics space. Dimitar Kairakov provides support at associate level and is another key name in the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their team is responsive, professional and always keeps to deadlines.’
‘Dimitar Kairakov is prompt, focused and delivers straightforward solutions.’
‘Schoenherr has a well-trained team and all of the attorneys are dedicated and accessible at all times. What sets them apart is the fact that they know us quite well and keep our corporate strategy in mind when dealing with our daily legal challenges. The personal touch and the amount of trust we have in them makes our work extremely efficient. Moreover, we are happy with the legal tech they provide and the flexible billing policy which further enhance workflows.’
‘Stefana Tsekova has huge experience and market insight.’
Yunex Traffic Austria
Euro Pool System
- Advised the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, as guarantor under a syndicated facility granted by three of Bulgaria’s largest banks (Unicredit Bulbank, DSK Bank and United Bulgarian Bank), in relation to the financing of MAXCOM, Chipolino and MAXBIKE.
- Advised BlackPeak Capital on an equity investment in EUShipments.com.
- Acted as exclusive legal adviser to Thales on public procurement projects for the modernisation of the Bulgarian state-owned railway infrastructure.