Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria is the firm of choice for mulitple government departments dealing with transport and related issues, and recently advised the State on an impact assessment of major amendments to the Automobile Transportation Act. The firm particularly excels in infrastructure development and procurement within the sector, whether road, rail or ports, where practice co-head Stoyan Barzakov brings many years' expertise to the market. The firm notably acted for Manchester Airport Group as unsuccessful bidder for the €4.3bn Sofia Airport concession.
Firms in the Spotlight Transport (including shipping)
Transport (including shipping) in Bulgaria
Andrey Delchev and Partners - Eurolex Bulgaria
Stoyan Barzakov; Magdalena Valova
Council of Ministers
“European Railways” Consortium
Manchester Airport Group
Trace Group Hold
- Advised Manchester Airport Group on participation in the Sofia Airport concession bidding procedure.
- Advised the Council of Ministers on an impact assessment of major amendments to the Automobile Transportation Act.
- Advised European Railways Consortium on the construction of a rail line between Skutare and Orizovo.
Boyanov & Co. has an impressive following within the aviation sector, where the firm handles contentious and non-contentious matters of the highest level. They include acting for Whizz Air in a dispute regarding airport passenger fees, and acting for Fraport as unsuccessful bidder in the landmark Sofia Airport concession, including subsequent litigation. The firm also handles public procurement and infrastructure for the rail and urban transport sector. Head of commercial Raina Dimitrova has considerable experience in airport finance and transport regulatory and procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Mihail Vishanin; Trayan Targov
Minsheng Commercial Aviation (Ireland) Company Limited
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
Macquarie Aircraft Leasing Services (Ireland) Limited
CIT Aerospace (currently Avolon)
Apollo Aviation Group (currently Carlyle Aviation Partners)
Nordic Aviation Capital
Engine Lease Finance Corporation
General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS)
Aviation Capital Group
Zephyrus Aviation Capital
Maverick Horizon Limited
- Represented Fraport in the €4.3bn concession tender for the Sofia Airport and in the appellate litigation that followed the concession award decision.
- Representing WIZZ Air in a series of landmark legal battles against the newly-introduced unification of the airport passenger charges collected at the different passenger terminals of Sofia Airport.
- Advised and assisted several international aircraft leasing companies (under aircraft leasing firm Aviation Capital Group) on the lease of three different Airbus A321 aircraft to Holiday Europe Ltd., thus taking on an important role in the formation of the fleet of this newly-founded Bulgaria-based airline.
An extensive transport practice at Georgiev, Todorov & Co comprises a full range of services from development of projects, commercial contracts and infrastructure to procurement, implementation of policies and litigation. Clients are drawn from all pillars of the sector - road, rail, air and shipping -, and notably include BMF Port Burgas, Alfred C. Toepfer International and Thales Austria. Regulatory, competition and corporate partner Alexander Pachamanov steers the multidisciplinary team that utilises the infrastructure expertise of Miglena Peneva and recently-promoted corporate and commercial partner Tsvetelina Dimitrova .
Other key lawyers:
Tsvetelina Dimitrova; Miglena Peneva
‘The transport sector, especially shipping, is very specific and requires legal support from experienced and capable lawyers. Georgiev, Todorov & Co. demonstrates that they have the full capacity, qualities and knowledge to meet all of our requirements and expectations. The lawyers from the team are familiar with all the developments on the market and impress with their in-depth knowledge, great negotiation skills and positive attitude to clients. The team is always ready to support the client and find the best possible solutions of each case and issue.’
‘We work very closely with Miglena Peneva, who is our trusted lawyer and main point of contact with the law firm. Miglena is a skilled lawyer, a prominent practitioner, familiar with all specifics of the national and EU procedures which allow her to find the best legal approach to every situation. She has exceptional knowledge and vision for the timely and successful solution of the cases.’
‘In order to deal with all challenges we face during our work we need a reliable law firm with excellent professionals that understand the specifics of our business. This is the reason why we work with Georgiev, Todorov & Co. for numerous years already. The lawyers are very diligent with in-depth knowledge of the effective Bulgarian and EU legislation and remarkable client-orientated approach.’
‘Our company relies mainly on the professionalism of Miglena Peneva. Her straight-forward approach to provide us with the most effective solution is remarkable. I admire her strong negotiation skills based on her extensive and successful practice in the transport sector. We highly recommend Miglena as a dedicated lawyer who will always help the clients to achieve their goals.’
Alfred C. Toepfer International
BMF Port Burgas
Bulgarian River Shipping
Goldair Holding Handling Bulgaria
KG Maritime Shipping
Port of Burgas
Solaris Bus & Coach
- Advised Alfred C. Toepfer International, part of ADM International, on the restructuring of its Bulgarian business, including the sale of ADM’s subsidiary operating port ADM Silistra silo on the Danube river, transfer of port licences, and defining employment relations.
- Advising G.P. Group on two high-profile projects worth approximately €133m– the construction of the railway tunnel Jeleznitsa, and on the repairs of the port terminal Rosenets, part of the Port of Burgas.
- Representing MTK Trans on the execution of a concession agreement amounting to approximately €70m for the urban transportation of Sofia Municipality.
Kambourov & Partners has a track record of major projects in this sector, covering aviation, rail, automotive and shipping, among others. More recently, it acted for SOF Connect, the winner concessonaire for Sophia Airport, in defending its contract in very high-profile litigation; the work was led by practice co-heads Stefan Tzakov and Atanas Shopov alongside administrative law partner, Todor Todorov . Noteworthy is the firm's niche following among the automotive industry where it advises clients such as Tesla. Uber and Whizz Air are also clients.
Stefan Tzakov; Atanas Shopov
Other key lawyers:
Consortium SOF Connect
- Advised the consortium SOF Connect on the successful defence of the award of the concession contract for Sofia Airport.
- Advising Tesla on regulatory matters.
- Advised Kapsch on the development and implementation of a toll system in Bulgaria.
Arsov Natchev Ganeva
Arsov Natchev Ganeva excels in the aviation sector, where it acts for both high-profile private companies and government bodies, including airline Alitalia, advising on all its business in Bulgaria, and the Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications. Notably, the firm advised one of the unsuccessful bidding consortia for the concession of Sofia Airport. Managing partner Svetlana Ganeva has a focus on regulatory and transactional matters in the aviation industry, while Vladimir Natchev leads on key industry matters.
Vladimir Natchev; Svetlana Ganeva
First State Investments
Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications
AS 24 Bulgaria
Alitalia Società Aerea Italiana
International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- Represented First State Investments International and its consortium partner, the Spanish airport operator AENA, in preparing their joint bid in the Sofia Airport Concession procedure.
- Advised the Ministry of Transport, Information Technology and Communications regarding the projected concession over the state-owned Baltchik Airport.
- Providing ongoing advice to AS24 Group, one of the main European suppliers of diesel by electronic card to haulage professionals.
Danailova, Todorov & Partners
Transport is a core area of practice at Danailova, Todorov & Partners, where name partners Maria Danailova and Kaloyan Todorov are dedicated practitioners in the field. They lead a small pool of associates on public and private contracts within the air, road and rail industries, including disputes, corporate issues, commercial contracts and procurement, among other matters. The firm continues to advise the SkyRefund platform which provides airline passengers with an easy tool to uphold their rights to compensation in accordance with EU law.
Kaloyan Todorov; Maria Danailova
- Advising SkyRefund on the launch of a joint initiative, together with foreign experts on air passengers’ rights, in order to uphold the existing EU legislation.
- Advised one of the largest transport operators in Bulgaria on various projects relating to the quality performance of the public transport service.
- Acting for an ICT company on all aspects of the commencement and implementation of an innovative project for transport monitoring in Bulgaria and the EU.
The strong regulatory practice at Dimitrov, Petrov & Co extends to the transport sector, particularly aviation where the firm attracts a number of significant clients in the industry. They include Manchester Airport Group, Sofia Airport and a national airline, while road and rail clients also instruct the firm. Experienced senior associate Donka Stoyanova heads the practice, and is specialised in dispute resolution, competition, public procurement and transport, while partners from across the firm assist where needed. Associate Tsvetelina Georgieva completes the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team provides first-class advice and services in all areas of business law. Their assistance with regard to the development of our projects from scratch has been invaluable. DPC has experts with different specialisations, including transport, who view our projects from different angles as needed and work together to provide a multi-faceted service. They have also come to know our business and team very well, which makes working with them so easy. They have a better approach to clients, a more transparent billing system, and provide better value for money than any other law firm we have worked with.’
‘Metodi Baykushev stands out with his dedication, wit and responsiveness. He possesses all the qualities and skills of a brilliant lawyer. Metodi is our main point of contact with DPC and I think I can also call him a good friend. Another lawyer definitely worth mentioning is Pencho Stanchev. He is very knowledgeable, confident and friendly. He always gives competent answers to our questions in no time. Tsveteina Georgieva is very diligent and straight to the point.’
‘We worked with DPC on an aircraft transaction and they were very knowledgeable of the pecularities of the aviation industry. It will be hard to find another Bulgarian firm that can match DPC in the area.’
‘We worked with Metodi Baykushev, a partner at DPC and worked with him on a range of transactions. Extremely pleasant to work with. Very business oriented.’
‘The company is competent in specific matters.’
‘Fast, quality consultations, commitment, responsibility, precision. Tsvetelina Georgieva, Zoya Todorova and Boyana Milcheva are recommended.’
Manchester Airport Group
Sisecam Automotive Bulgaria
Mega Trucking Bulgaria (part of EWALS Cargo Care Group)
Tradenet Varna, Pharmnet, Mareshki pharmacy chain
- Successfully represented Sofia Airport in a complex case before the Bulgarian CPC regarding alleged abuse of dominance via predatory pricing.
- Advising the lenders of the Vitosha Consortium, which included Manchester Airport Group, in its bid for the concession award procedure of Sofia Airport. Work included legal advice on collateral validity and set up, local enforcement rules, dispute resolution options, etc.
- Advising Alex 96 on acquisition of a Gulfstream G150 business jet.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov shines in large-scale infrastrure projects and public procurement within the transport sector, earning roles on big-ticket matters, such as acting for Alstom Transport in appeal proceedings following the tender for the design, construction, and rehabilitation of railway infrastructure by the National Railway Infrastructure Company. Top-rated lawyers from across firm provide a comprehensive service to a sizeable client base that includes Ryanair, Wizz Air, Turkish Airlines and Daimler Chrysler. Zdravka Ugrinova and Milan Pandev are the key contacts.
Zdravka Ugrinova; Milan Pandev
‘A solid practice and detail-oriented service.‘
‘DGKV’s transport and infrastructure practice is one of the leading and the largest teams on the Bulgarian legal market. DGKV is able to deliver profound knowledge and time sensitive legal advice to the global aviation, marine, rail and shipping industries.‘
‘Milan Pandev is one of the best professionals for his vast experience in handling large-scale projects. He offers broad experience in transport and infrastructure matters and manages his team well. Milan is one of the most reliable lawyers in the region, extremely professional, responsive and always on the top of the issues. Lilia Kisseva has broad experience in the fields of general corporate, M&A and transportation. She is an excellent adviser. Lilia is professional and thoughtful.’
ERG Insaat Ticaret ve Sanayi
Wizz Air Hungary
ASL Airlines Belgium
MAN SE/MAN Truck & Bus/MAN Truck & Bus Deutschland
Toto Costruzioni Generali
Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)
The Export Import Bank of China (CEXIM)
Zim Israel Navigation Company
Sojitz Corporation of America
Karsan Otomotiv Sanayii ve Tic.
Ford Otomotiv Sanayi
CK Holdings Co.
- Advised ERG and SSB as a consortium bidding for the Sofia Airport concession.
- Represented Italian infrastructure contractor Toto Costruzioni Generali in securing a pending and future dispute in connection with the implementation of a €131m infrastructure contract in Poland.
- Acted for Alstom Transport in the appeal proceedings before the Bulgarian competition authority regarding the results of the tender for the design, construction, and rehabilitation of railway infrastructure, carried out by the National Railway Infrastructure Company.
An expanding transport client base at Schoenherr (in cooperation with Stoyanov & Tsekova) includes some national air carriers, automotive manufacturers and logistics companies, as well as a range of businesses supplying products and services to the transport sector. The firm advised Alstrom on the public procurement for the maintenance of public railcars launched by the Bulgarian Railway Company. The multidisciplinary team is led by head of regulatory, Stefana Tsekova and includes regulatory associates Radoslav Chemshirov and Dimitar Kairakov .
Other key lawyers:
Radoslav Chemshirov; Dimitar Kairakov
‘Schoenherr (in cooperation with law firm Stoyanov and Tsekova) proves its strong commercial focus, expertise and commitment to quality by understanding that the legal advice they provide is crucial to their clients’ business decisions.’
‘We valued the in-depth knowledge in dealing with international and local legal, regulatory and commercial ssues, delivered with comprehensive legal expertise and practical know-how focused on our specific needs.’
Pro Danube International
Dexia Crédit Local
Türkiye Ihracatçilar Meclisi (TIM)
Uluslararasi Nakliyeciler Dernegi (UND)
- Advised Alstom in an open public procurement tender procedure, announced by the Bulgarian Railway Company, for the multimillion-euro maintenance of railcars for public needs.
- Advising OMV on a permanent basis regarding their business activities in Bulgaria, including, but not limited to, maintaining its port licence and port operator permit, development of electric car charging points, logistic and transportation of dangerous goods via road, river and railway.
- Advised Leoni on its entry into the Bulgarian market by incorporation of a Bulgarian subsidiary.