Intellectual property in Bulgaria
Boyanov & Co. advises on the full spectrum of IP matters, with expertise in trade mark portfolio management, patent registration, software licensing arrangements, and trade secrets. The firm’s IP work is supported by experienced litigators; head of the litigation group Kina Chuturkova has experience in acting in contentious matters ranging from unfair competition and trade mark infringements to protecting digital intellectual property against software piracy. Stela Sabeva heads the IP practice and advises on IP management as well as litigating in areas including copyright protection, licensing, and patent infringement. Natasha Andreeva, Rossiza Marinova and Marina Mollova are also key contacts within the practice.
F. Hoffmann-La Roche
Jacobs Douwe Egberts
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc
bet365 Group Limited
- Acting as a local agent of GlaxoSmithKline in relation to the management of a significant part of its trade mark portfolio in Bulgaria.
- Successfully defended the Coca-Cola Company and its subsidiary Atlantic Industries in an infringement case against a Bulgarian company that produced soft drinks with labels imitating the “Schweppes” trade mark.
- Advising Siemens Software PLM Inc. in relation to numerous cases of software piracy by local companies operating in the industrial engineering sector.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co supports companies in managing their trade mark portfolios, assisting clients in the pharmaceutical, food production, IT, gambling and retail industries. The team assists on identifying conflicting trade marks, and defending clients’ trade marks in opposition, cancellation and infringement proceedings. The team is led by Bilyana Angelova, who also heads the healthcare and life sciences practice group and whose expertise in IP matters covers patents, trade marks and franchise agreements. Software licencing is another key strength of the firm; it advises major clients in the IT sector, including Google, on copyright and licensing issues, and drafts bespoke master services agreements for software companies and electronic payment services. Alexandra Lassina is a name to note.
‘Perfectly organized team with extensive knowledge in many areas.’
‘Bilyana is performing like a rockstar: competent and precise, on time and in budget.’
Fox Networks Group Bulgaria
Genica – Genetic medico-diagnostic laboratory
Pepkor Europe GmbH (Pepco chain)
AgriGate Media OOD
Zonapharm OOD /
Zona Pharma OOD
Julia Kontogruni Ltd.
PhoneArena and Titan Gate
Al-Furat for Tobacco and Cigarettes Industry Co.
- Assisting Novomatic AG, one of the largest high-tech gaming technology companies, in trade mark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Drafting tailor-made master services agreement for AB Solutions, a fast-growing IT company.
- Advising Google on copyright matters, including review of copyright licensing agreements and respective general terms.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov’s intellectual property team advises on trade mark protection and enforcement - it acts for clients in disputes over trade mark infringements and before the Bulgaria Patent Office. The team is also engaged in enforcement proceedings against counterfeit goods, and is active in the protection of intellectual property rights in software licensing arrangements and IT acquisitions. The team is led by Kalina Tchakarova, supported by senior associates Dessislava Iordanova and Kamen Gogov, a certified trade mark and design attorney. Associate Patricia Cherkezova has a doctorate in EU intellectual property law and advises principally on cross-border transfers of copyrights and IP rights.
‘Business-oriented and agile. Excellent professionals and advisors.’
Sony Interactive Entertainment Europe
British American Tobacco Trading EOOD
Karelia Tobacco Company Inc.
Peak Apparel Holdings, Inc.
Carlsberg Breweries A/S
Karo Pharma Aktiebolag
Consortium Deutscher Baumschulen GmbH
Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited
Celgene Europe Ltd
Club CIO Bulgaria
Colian sp. z. o.o.
DeTeMedien Deutsche Telekom Medien GmbH
EMP Invest Bulgaria AD (Empower Capital Fund)
Fater (JV owned by Procter & Gamble and Angelini Group)
Froneri Bulgaria EOOD
Grapa Company Ltd
Halcor Metal Works S.A.
House of Monatic
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Ital Food Industry
Kwiat Enterprises, LLC
LivOn Laboratories, Inc.
My TV.BG EOOD
Orange Brand Services Limited
OTTO (GmbH & Co KG)
Prekiu zenklu valdymas, UAB
Red Bull GmbH
Rigo Trading S.A.
Sasol (USA) Corporation
Sazerac Brands, LLC
Skechers U.S.A. Inc. II
SOLEN Cikolata Gida Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Sirketi
The Travelers Indemnity Company
Transport for London
Truma Geraetetechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Universal 1440 Entertainment LLC
Universal Pictures International Limited
US Pharmacia International, Inc.
WIZZ Air Hungary Kft.
- Representing Avia International in opposition proceedings against a competitor’s application for registration of a similar trade mark.
- Assisted WizzAir with a trade mark registration, including successfully appealing an initial refusal.
- Acted for Goldman Sachs in proceedings against a Bulgarian copycat company operating a website acting as an online trading platform with a similar name.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co handles IP matters related to distribution contracts, software licensing and development, and patent and trade mark enforcement. IP rights in software is an area of particular expertise; it drafts various contracts relating to on line gambling websites, and handles trade mark registrations for software development clients. Ivan Todorov and Arno Mamasyan are the practice heads, while senior associate Tsvetelina Dimitrova leads on many of the team's mandates.
‘The practice is outstanding due to the team’s professionalism and tremendous expertise in the field. The lawyers provide tailored solutions for clients and meet tight deadlines.’
‘The law firm impressed us with their high level of professionalism, cross-jurisdictional knowledge of the intellectual property legal framework and excellent communication skills.’
‘The main lawyer we work with is the senior associate Tsvetelina Dimitrova. She has an eye for detail, perfectly understands the needs of the clients, and possesses excellent communication skills.’
Dench eGaming Solutions JSC
Software Point LLC
- Advised Dench eGaming on the conclusion of their licensing agreements for their online gambling platform.
- Advised Borica on its use of open-source code in payment processing software.
- Assisting Software Point with trademark registration.
Kambourov & Partners primarily advises clients in the media and manufacturing industries. For media clients, this has included acquisition of intellectual property assets relating to M&A deals, acting against unauthorised use of copyrighted fictional characters, and drafting contracts that protect recordings of live concerts. Notably the firm successfully represented a television production company against a defamation claim, brought by a former member of parliament mocked in a comedy sketch. The team also acts for manufacturers on the protection of their industrial designs. The ‘extremely accomplished’ Margarita Guigova leads the team.
‘In my opinion this practice genuinely has it all, the industry knowledge and experience, the skill, and the attitude. The team treats every issue with meticulous care, applying an impressively systematic approach.’
‘The practice is multi-disciplinary, excelling in all areas of intellectual property including copyright, trademarks, and patents. The team is strong in terms of both legal and commercial knowledge, with great industry insight, creative approach, flexibility and resourcefulness.’
‘Margarita is a strong advisor and litigator, calm, practical and profoundly knowledgeable. She has a quick, sharp mind and is a fantastic tactician and negotiator.’
COORS BREWING COMPANY – Kamenitza AD
Advance Media Group
New Films International
Amps on Air
- Provided advice to Advance Media Group on the IP aspects of their acquisition of Nova Broadcasting Group.
- Acted for Natalia Atanassova, an author, in a copyright dispute over the fictional character Roumen the Cat.
- Advising Mlin-97 and Maxinvest Holding, a packaged food manufacturer, on collaborating with the Walt Disney Company.
CMS advises on IP transfers, trade mark registrations and oppositions, and patent applications for clients in a range of sectors. A key strength of the firm is litigating in matters concerning the infringement of intellectual property including patents. Joint practice head Antonia Kehayova has experience advising international companies on protecting their IP rights in Bulgaria, while counsel and joint practice head Nevena Radlova is a registered trade mark attorney with expertise in patent and domain name registrations; he advised Wizz Air on winning back a domain name from a cyber squatter.
United States Polo Association
Sky International AG
Maison Saint-Herem Ltd.
Hagleitner Hygiene International GmbH/Hans Georg Hagleitner
backaldrin International The Kornspitz Company GmbH
Area 52 Trampoline Parks AD
- Acted for Hagleiter Hygiene International in IP litigation regarding patent violation.
- Advised The Kornspitz Company on trade mark ownership changes after a merger.
- Acted for Navigator Paper Figuera in trade mark opposition proceedings.
Delchev & Partners’ versatile intellectual property practice assists Publicis (a major French advertising firm) and Abraxas (a Bulgarian film studio) on an ongoing basis regarding copyright and neighbouring rights issues. It also advises software companies on IP protection and licencing issues, and food and drink producers on trade mark disputes and registrations. Ivan Marinov, an experienced litigator and arbitrator, leads the team.
Katarzyna Estate (Switzerland)
Abraxas EOOD (Bulgaria)
Publicis AD (France)
ZOV Solutions OOD
- Advises Publicis on an ongoing basis.
- Advises Abraxas on copyright issues on an ongoing basis.
- Handles copyright protection for ZOV Solution’s computer programmes.
Gugushev & Partners Law Office
The IP practice at Gugushev & Partners Law Office has experience in trade mark registration and defence matters, patent applications, and media-related copyright. Notably, the team has experience in litigation concerning geographical indication cases before the European Commission; it acted for Konservinvest, a food products manufacturer, in preserving its right to manufacture and market ‘lyutenitsa’. Petko Angelov and Yoanna Ivanova jointly lead the team.
Remix Global AD
Efficiency First Media AD
- Assisted Remix Global in registering EU and Ukrainian trade marks.
- Advised Rozaimpex in a trade mark dispute, concerning a competitor’s attempt to adopt a similar trade mark.
- Acted for Konservinvest in securing geographical indication status for ‘lyutenitsa’.
Kinkin & Partners assists clients with trade mark applications, oppositions and defence procedures in food production, financial services, and fashion industries. The team, led by Adriana Nacheva, also drafts agreements for the transfer of intellectual property in the pharmaceutical industry, and has experience in protecting trade secrets and industrial designs from infringing competitors.query inclusion
Alexandrova Design EOOD
Asclepion Medical centre – Humane Medicine Researches ltd.
The Bakers Jsc.
- Registered eight national trade marks on behalf of Tombou, a financial services provider.
- Represented The Bakers in a dispute arising from alleged trade mark infringement by a competitor.
- Acting for Asclepion Medical Centre on protecting intellectual property arising from clinical trials.
Penkov, Markov & Partners perform trade mark searches and due diligence, registrations, oppositions and renewals on an ongoing basis for clients in a wide range of industries. Practice head Vladimir Penkov advises on copyright and trade mark infringements. Ivan Markov is a key contact in the team. In 2020, Yordan Politov left the practice and is now an independent practitioner.
‘Very competent and easy-to-work-with team. Highly engaged for each and every case.’
‘The intellectual property practice team of Penkov, Markov & Partners provides the best possible advice ensuring maximum effectiveness and a customised approach to the client.’
‘They always provide excellent, timely and really useful and practical advice.’
Coca Cola Hellenic Bottling Company Bulgaria AD
Zlatna Panega Cement/ TITAN
Jos H. Lowenstein & Sons, Inc.
BA Glass Bulgaria
Klett Bulgaria Ltd.
Novo Staklo (New Glass) EAD
MVB Track & Bus Bulgaria /MAN SE
Build Invest – Sofia
Karelia Tobacco Company Inc.
Rinamar Ltd. (Guardium)
G Star OOD
Makter Consult Ltd.
Educational Center “Temida”
BSTD Consult Ltd.
Strimona Ltd./ Fencing Systems Ltd
ENCO Vending Ltd.
- Advises Naturprodukt, a pharmaceutical company, on trade mark registrations and renewals.
- Advises Klett, a publisher, on copyright issues.
- Assisted Jos. H Lowenstein and Sons, Inc., a chemicals manufacturer, on trade mark opposition proceedings.
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners’ broad IP practice handles trade mark registrations and protection, advises on media-related copyright disputes in addition to the protections of patents and industrial designs. In addition to working for private companies, the team has been awarded mandates by the government to advise on drafting laws governing the protection of designs in manufacturing and the impact of existing intellectual property laws on the Bulgarian film industry. The team, jointly headed up by Emiliyan Arnaudov, Sibina Eftenova, and Hristo Koparanov, is closely intertwined with the competition practice group. Peppy Kuzeva is also a key contact.
‘The team is made up of young and competent professionals who are available whenever necessary.’
‘The firm demonstrates an exceptional level of availability and willingness to engage beyond “the letter” of the agreement in terms of scope of work and deadlines.’
BTV Media Group
AIKO, Moemax – part of the XXXLutz group
Alpen Pharma Bulgaria
Harrison Clark Rickerbys Limited
Patent Office of Bulgaria
- Advises Alpen Pharma on an ongoing basis regarding the protection of its intellectual property.
- Acted for Desislava Karamfilova, an author, in proceedings arising from another writer’s unauthorised use of her copyrighted material.
- Represented HD Media in proceedings related to the copyright in music used in a television special.
Tsvetkova Bebov Komarevski has broad experience in drafting agreements including licencing arrangements, franchise and distribution agreements. Its expertise includes the registration and protection of trade marks; the fair use of trade marks and other intellectual property in advertising and marketing campaigns, and IP acquisitions and transfers. Clients include market-leading companies in IT, telecommunications and broadcasting, tobacco, and financial services. Notably, the firm acted for FC Barcelona in combating the importation of counterfeited branded goods. Ilya Komarevski is the head of the practice, while senior associates Dimitar Grozdanov, Philip Kiossev, and Victoria Tzonkova are names to note.
- Advised Karoll, a financial services provider, on domain name and trade mark registration.
- Acted for Barcelona F.C. in opposition procedures against an importer of counterfeited branded goods.
Wolf Theiss handles the structuring of IP transfers during mergers and acquisitions, the IP aspects of franchising and distribution agreements, trade mark protection, and the acquisition and licencing of patented technologies. An aspect of the firm’s work is the intersection of IP and labour law; the team advises on contracts that govern remuneration for employees’ intellectual property works. Anna Rizova and Richard Clegg jointly head the practice, while senior associate Hristina Dzhevlekova is a name to note.
Gramercy Emerging Markets Fund
- Successfully represented Balpex, a leading Bulgarian real estate magazine, in a claim initiated by a photographer alleging unauthorised use of his photos.
- Advised LyondellBasell Industries on the validity of e-signatures in Bulgarian law.
- Advised Fadata, an IT company, on the transfer of intellectual property in a M&A transaction.