Boyanov & Co. advises domestic and foreign clients across the telecoms, technology, pharma, fashion, food and beverages, and tobacco sectors on the full spectrum of IP matters, such as trademark enforcement, patent prosecution and copyright protection, among others. The team has an enviable client list of global brands and well-known companies, including Lego, Chanel and Monster Beverage Corporation. Experienced principal associate Stela Sabeva leads the practice group and is supported by senior associate Marina Mollova. Head of litigation Kina Chuturkova is another key member of the team.
Intellectual property in Bulgaria
Other key lawyers:
Kina Chuturkova; Marina Mollova
‘Stela Sabeva and Marina Mollova provide a great service, are very responsive, reliable and provide high quality work.’
‘The team at Boyanov & Co. are a great team of lawyers, totally committed to the work they do. Everyone that we have encountered has been very professional and empathetic toward us. They are excellent at every level. They are a pleasure to work with.’
‘Marina Mollova and Stela Sabeva are very able lawyers with excellent attention to details and very good experience in intellectual property. They are extremely tenacious and always do their best for the client.’
Meril Life Sciences Pvt.
Monster Beverage Corporation
F. Hoffmann–La Roche
Siemens PLM Software Inc
- Advised LEGO on various cases related to enforcement of its IP rights in Bulgaria.
- Represented Chanel in a court case for imposing contributory liability for trademark infringements of the biggest local e-commerce platform.
- Successfully represented Monster Beverage Corporation in four cases of oppositions against the registration of marks confusingly similar to the client’s earlier marks.
Dimitrov, Petrov & Co ‘has great expertise in various IP matters, including complex trademark prosecution’, in addition to contentious and non-contentious mandates relating to copyright, patents, franchising, brand licensing and marketing promotions and advertising. The team counts global players, including Novomatic, Google and The Walt Disney Company, among its key list of clients. Biliyana Angelova leads the practice group and has experience in transactional and contentious IP mandates. Angelova is supported by senior associate Asya Vladimirova, who is praised by one client as a ‘star of the team’.
Other key lawyers:
‘Asya Vladimirova is the star of the team and together with Bilyana Angelova, they are a great tandem.’
‘The team has great expertise in various IP matters, including complex trademark prosecution matters. When it comes to any IP related questions, I feel very comfortable with DPC. All lawyers are extremely professional, open and friendly and it is a real pleasure to work with them.’
‘I have worked with Bilyana Angelova and Asya Vladimirova. Both have been excellent in their knowledge and responsiveness.’
‘Very professional team, we receive answers from more and more new people, the quality of the advice is constantly high.’
The Walt Disney Company
Soul Machines Limited
Zona Pharma & Zonapharm
PhoneArena & Titan Gate
Al-Furat for Tobacco and Cigarettes Industry Co.
- Assisting Novomatic in trademark opposition and cancellation proceedings.
- Providing legal support to the Bulgarian subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company on contentious and non-contentious IP matters.
- Assisting mobile.de with regard to the protection of the trademark on the territory of Bulgaria.
Djingov, Gouginski, Kyutchukov & Velichkov’s IP practice group counts Facebook, Instagram and Carlsberg Breweries, to name a few, among its roster of notable clients. The team handles the full scope of contentious and non-contentious matters, from registration and enforcement of patents, trademarks, designs, geographical indications and copyrights to execution of licensing. Team leader Kalina Tchakarova, who regularly advises clients on strategies to secure enforceable brand protection, has built the practice over 20 years and is supported by senior associates Desislava Iordanova, Kamen Gogov and associate Patricia Cherkezova.
Other key lawyers:
Dessislava Iordanova; Kamen Gogov; Patricia Cherkezova
‘Djingov, Gouginski, Kytuchukov and Velichkov is a national law firm with a strong foothold in the local Bulgarian market, but with an excellent international network and an outstanding IP team.’
‘We particularly appreciate their quick, extremely competent handling of cases and the trustworthy way in which they deal with our clientele at all times.’
‘One can completely rely on the colleagues at Djingov, Gouginski, Kytuchukov and Velichkov. The firm is a matter of course for us and has been the first point of contact for IP issues in Bulgaria for over ten years.’
‘Partner Kalina Tchakarova and associate Patritsiya Cherkezova are utterly experienced, excellent strategic thinkers and clear advisors who have an outstanding position in the Bulgarian IP market. They react extremely quickly, communicate clearly, handle cases convincingly – and, above all, extremely successfully.’
Carlsberg Breweries and Carlsberg Bulgaria
- Representing Facebook, Inc. in trademark enforcement matters.
- Acting for Instagram regarding an opposition against similar national trademarks.
- Assisting Economedia with the filing and registration of EUTMs.
Georgiev, Todorov & Co provides ‘excellent legal advice and court representation for all intellectual property matters’, ranging from licensing and copyright issues to patent and trademark registrations, among others. The team includes key adviser Tsvetelina Dimitrova, who has ‘valuable experience in the sector’ and represented Nexo Capital in an appeal against the Patent Office for the deregistration of a trademark, alongside practice co-leader Arno Mamasyan. Other key members include managing partner and team co-leader Ivan Todorov, and ‘excellent associate’ Margarita Ivanova.
Other key lawyers:
Tsvetelina Dimitrova; Margarita Ivanova
‘The law firm provides us with excellent legal advice and court representation for all intellectual property matters, as well as on corporate and commercial issues. We are particularly impressed with how quickly and efficiently they resolve the matters with which we require legal assistance.’
‘The team is very client oriented, and they always respond to our needs with care. Some of the reasons why the practice is unique is the combination of excellent litigation skills and consultancy, as well as the extensive use of various encrypted applications which made it easier and safer to communicate despite the pandemic of COVID-19.’
‘Tsvetelina Dimitrova: She is a rising star in the team, has great work ethics, an efficient approach and is willing to think outside the box. Intellectual property is one of her specialisms and she has excellent knowledge and valuable experience in the sector.’
‘Our team mainly works with Tsvetelina Dimitrova and Margarita Ivanova. Among the strongest qualities of Tsvetelina are organisational skills, knowledge of EU regulations in both corporate and intellectual property law, her attention to detail and commercial awareness. Margarita, on the other hand, is an excellent associate with great research skills, who is very easy to communicate with.’
‘Georgiev, Todorov & Co. has been our trustworthy partner for several years now. Their team is always prepared on time, has a very diverse skill set and a real passion for their work. The lawyers not only want to solve the issue but also contribute to the future success of the company. In addition, due to the limitation of meetings in the past 12 months, their team was open to using various social platforms such as Zoom and Microsoft Teams so more urgent issues are discussed in a timely manner.’
‘We regularly work with Tsvetelina Dimitrova, who is an exceptional lawyer. She is very dedicated and attentive. She has demonstrated excellent knowledge in this field and provided us with irreproachable legal services.’
Catalana de Investigacion y Desarrollo de Electronica SL
Dench eGaming Solutions
Finance Group 2013
- Protected the interests of Nexo Capital for de-registration of a trademark by appealing a decision of the Patent Office before the court.
- Advised Evros K&P in relation to the company’s ability to import goods with the trademark of a luxurious brand on the territory of Bulgaria.
- Advised Catalana de Investigacion y Desarrollo de Electronica SL on possible legal actions to be undertaken against Mar 2000 Ltd., a company which has imported identical toys from China under the same brand.
Kambourov & Partners ‘provides premier advice in key pillars of intellectual property law, from registrations, oppositions, and renewals of industrial property to franchise agreements and licensing’. Noted for its capability in representing local and multinational companies in contentious trademark, patent and copyright cases, the team has a strong reputation acting for clients across the media and telecoms sectors, among others. ‘Rigorous’ partner Margarita Guigova, who has 15 years’ experience in this space, leads the practice group and is supported by senior associate Yana Todorova, who is ‘an asset to the team’.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has exceptional legal, technical, and personal skills, complemented by great team depth.’
‘Margarita is undoubtedly and unsurprisingly at the top of her field. It goes without saying that she has in-depth legal knowledge and wide experience. What makes her truly unique to us is that she knows our universe and understands our company’s objectives. She is rigorous and creative at the same time, and she always hits the ground running.’
‘Yana Todorova is very knowledgeable, energetic, and highly responsive. She has great listening and relationship management skills. Extremely efficient and an asset to the team.’
‘They are exemplary. The IP practice provides premier advice in key pillars of intellectual property law from registrations, oppositions, and renewals of industrial property to franchise agreements and licensing. It is the best for brand protection.’
‘The team not only knows our company’s industry inside and out but also a lot of other closely related industries – a circumstance which perfectly complements their legal advice, adding a layer of priceless commercial awareness.’
‘The team is proactive, fast-moving, competent, and powerful. Most importantly, it channels reliability and trust – a key ingredient in any long-term business relationship. What distinguishes them most from other firms is that we simply trust them, and they have gained this trust by continuously delivering fantastic results.’
‘Margarita Guigova and Yana Todorova are great professionals, with deep business understanding and sense of urgency.’
‘Strong professionals with great capability of solving business issues.’
‘Margarita is outstandingly business-oriented and careful to proactively adjust to clients’ needs. She is fast-paced, solution-oriented, innovative and has an innate ability to simplify matters while keeping everything professional and of a high standard.’
Bulgarian Telecommunications Company
Motion Picture Association
Chivas Holding Limited
Slavena Vatova and Ekaterina Evro/ Recepti za zivota
Radio Veselina/Magic FM & TV/The Voice Radio & TV/Radio Vitosha
Ivaylo Ruschev/Meat Revolution/Tandem Popovo
Nova Broadcasting Group/NetInfo
Molson Coors Beverage Company/Kamenitza
Imvestia and Primo Plus
New Films International
- Represents BTC in court proceedings related to collective management in the digital environment.
- Provides ongoing advice and assistance to MPA on a broad range of issues.
- Advised Chivas Holdings Limited in relation to a breach of intellectual property.
The IP team at CMS benefits from the firm’s global network and acts for domestic and multinational clients across the media, telecoms, life sciences and healthcare sectors on a range of matters, from registration of trademarks to licensing, franchising and copyright issues. Counsel Nevena Radlova leads the team, as well as the competition practice group, alongside senior associate and litigator Antonia Kehayova. Counsel Anna Tanova is also noted.
Nevena Radlova; Antonia Kehayova
Other key lawyers:
‘We work with Anna Tanova from the Sofia office. She is an expert in the field of media and copyright law. She is an exceptional professional with considerable experience in license agreements always offering useful and elegant solutions. Anna has demonstrated flexible thinking and in-depth understanding of the needs of a small media company operating in multiple markets.’
Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters
Bulgarian Association of Cable and Communications Operators
Hagleitner Hygiene International/Hans Georg Hagleitner
- Advising Association of Bulgarian Radio and TV Broadcasters on legal matters relating to all aspects of the Association’s activities, including all matters related to the implementation of copyright directives and other amendments of the copyright legislation.
- Advising Bulgarian Association of Cable and Communications Operators in relation to copyright issues and providing legal analysis concerning copyright and legislative amendments.
- Representing Hagleitner Hygiene International GmbH/Hans Georg Hagleitner in several IP litigation procedures related to violation of rights on EU patent and EU industrial design.
Gugushev & Partners Law Office
Praised for its ‘deep knowledge of EU regulations in the field of intellectual property’, Gugushev & Partners Law Office has ‘strong litigation experience’ in this space and counts fashion corporations, cosmetics companies, IT firms and TV channels among its roster of clients. ‘IP guru’ Yoanna Ivanova leads the practice and has an ‘impressive track record’ advising clients on a broad range of mandates, including registration and licensing of patents, trademarks, industrial designs, as well as copyright issues. Key clients include Konservinvest, Rozaimpeks and Efficiency First Media.
Other key lawyers:
‘We are working primarily with Yoanna Ivanova. So far, we are extremely delighted with her professional approach and outstanding legal expertise. She is an exceptional expert in IP and her comprehensive advice and polished business approach are unique for the legal sector.’
‘Gugushev & Partners have a unique business approach, understanding of the IP market, large team of legal professionals and in-depth knowledge of EU trademark and IP legislation.’
‘Regarding intellectual property matters, we worked mainly with Yoanna Ivanova, the leader of IP at the law firm, who is very close to any trends on the market and is part of several national IP organisations. She is responsive and impressive, provides a professional approach to each matter and has strong IP expertise.’
‘They are a powerhouse of a law firm. By having them as our legal partner, we have many different legal areas covered, as well as many distinguished legal professionals at arms reach. They are easy to communicate with, provide very comprehensive advice and are always solution-oriented, looking for the best outcome for our business. Moreover, the IP team of Gugushev & Partner is renowned on the market and also has very strong litigation experience which is crucial for us.’
‘Yoanna Ivanova is an IP guru, who impressed us with her efficiency and precision in addition to her extensive experience which stood out at every step of the way.’
‘Very professional, deep and profound knowledge of EU regulations in the field of intellectual property, block exemptions and unfair competition. Quick response and deep analysis and research done on a short notice’
‘Yoanna Ivanova has a very impressive track record and never fails to see the business opportunity in any legal matter she has handled for us. Yoanna Ivanova possesses thorough knowledge of any and all IP and patent legal matters. Her team brought enormous benefits to our organisation and their work has been impeccable.’
‘They have deep knowledge of the IP market and have developed strong understanding of our company’s business. What we value the most is the personal touch.’
Efficiency First Media
Residence City Garden
- Representing food producer Konservinvest and the owner of the trademark for “lyiutenitsa” in various court and administrative procedures, against a claim brought by the owner of a Geographical Indication (GI) for the same product, registered in Bulgaria.
- Advising Arthesis in connection to the process of patent protection both on national and international levels.
- Representing Mall Varna in a series of proceedings related to trademark infringement.
Penkov, Markov & Partners’ compliance and intellectual property team ‘provides tailor-made advice’ on contentious and non-contentious matters, from trademark opposition cases, copyright disputes, patents and industrial designs issues. Named partner Vladimir Penkov, who is active in negotiations and settlements regarding trademarks over software, jointly leads the practice alongside senior associate Smilena Hrusanova, who combines her expertise in competition and IP to handle infringement cases. The team acts for clients across the pharmaceutical, tobacco, consumer goods and fashion sectors.
Vladimir Penkov; Smilena Hrusanova
Other key lawyers:
‘We highly recommend the whole IP team at Penkov, Markov & Partners, both with regard to services such as trademark registration to complex opposition cases, copyright disputes, etc.’
‘Vladimir Penkov stands out as a highly skilled and experienced expert in the field of IP law. He is very responsive, and his team provides tailor-made advice.’
‘Brilliant legal knowledge as well as understanding of the client’s needs, swift and valuable answers.’
‘Dedication, professionalism and personal attention.’
‘They pay attention to the customer’s needs, try to understand not only the legal part of the issues, but the business logic behind it and to find the best solution for the customer.’
Coca-Cola Hellenic Bottling Company Bulgaria
Heineken Group and Bulgarian subsidiary Zagorka
Karelia Tobacco Company
Berlin-Chemie AG/Berlin-Chemie/A.Menarini Bulgaria (part of Menarini Group)
MAN SE/MVB Truck & Bus
Naturprodukt/Dr. Theiss Naturwaren
XL Energy Marketing s.p.zoo
Zlatna Panega Cement
Pension-Insurance Company Doverie/Vienna Insurance Group
Our Home is Bulgaria Foundation
Bulreal/Stock Bazaar Ilianci
TBI Bank/4 Finance Holding
BA Glass Bulgaria
Pierre Fabre Dermo-Cosmetics/Eczema Foundation Bulgaria
Xella Bulgaria/the Xella Group/Ytong
- Representing Berlin-Chemie in a parallel import case against the counter-party BestaMed, who has repackaged and rebranded a medicinal product of the group in breach of the criteria in the legislation and the practice of ECJ.
- Ensuring the compliance of Klett’s textbooks and online platform “Izzi”, and assisting in negotiations with telecoms companies offering subscriptions, and analyses of third parties terms and conditions.
- Advising EHS Consulting on a share deal acquisition, including providing practical and tailor-made advice on the vesting of the copyrights over works created by employees in view of the limitations in the Bulgarian legislation.
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners
Popov, Arnaudov & Partners’ caseload includes copyright protection, registration of trademarks, patents and designs, as well as drafting the legislative amendments aimed to transpose the DSM and SatCab directives, assigned to the team by the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture. Managing partner Emiliyan Arnaudov jointly leads the practice alongside Sibina Eftenova, who also heads the commercial law and regulations department, and Hristo Koparanov, who has experience in trademarks and copyright disputes. Notably, the team acts for clients in the TMT sector on IP matters.
Emiliyan Arnaudov; Sibina Eftenova; Hristo Koparanov
Ministry of Culture of Bulgaria
Aiko Multi Concept
Digital Signal Processing Algorithms
Art Project Depot
HS Hydro&Spa SRL
- Assigned by the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture to draft the legislative amendments aimed to transpose the DSM and SatCab directives.
- Successfully represented HD Media in a dispute with Musicautor, regarding licensed copyrights.
The ‘small but very focused and experienced team’ at Schoenherr (in cooperation with Stoyanov & Tsekova) handles a range of contentious and non-contentious matters, including trademarks, copyrights and design, as well as the IP aspects of corporate and commercial transactions. ‘Knowledgeable’ practice leader and senior attorney Ventsislav Tomov has 16 years’ experience in this space and advises clients on the protection and enforcement of their IP rights, among other matters. Associate Kristina Bozhinova is another key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
‘Small but very focused and experienced team.’
‘Ventsislav Tomov is our key contact. On all occasions, he has been accessible and is knowledgeable.’
Subway International B.V.
Heta Asset Resolution Bulgaria
Power Horse Energy Drinks
Power Horse Energy Drinks
Gallup International Association
- Advising Subway in a franchising trademark dispute.
- Advised and represented a leading automotive manufacturer in customs seizure and criminal proceedings against an importer of IPR infringing automotive spare parts.
- Advising Dimitar Madjarov-2 on the creation of an innovative meat products brand and matters of IP.
Wolf Theiss advises domestic and international companies across the TMT, outsourcing, financial services, food and healthcare sectors on a range of matters, including the IP aspects of cross-border M&A deals, licensing agreements and prosecution of IP disputes before administrative and judicial courts. Transactional and regulatory partner Richard Clegg, who acts for technology-sector clients on IP matters, jointly leads the practice alongside managing partner Anna Rizova, who acts for global corporates in transactions involving the transfer of know-how.
Richard Clegg; Anna Rizova
Square Inc. (Tidal)
The Financial Times
Insight Venture Partners (GTM Hub)
- Advised Square on IP and data protection matters vis-à-vis the Bulgarian operations of Tidal, the global music and entertainment platform.
- Advised the Financial Times Group on the negotiation of a commercial “Build Operate Transfer” agreement with Xoomworks Ltd (UK) for the development of a software and IT business for the FT, and a core element of the BOT Agreement was the treatment of IP.
- Advising IAC on the acquisition of a Bulgarian app developer working in the field of digital health solutions, and providing IP advice.
Delchev & Partners’ caseload includes patents, industrial designs and copyright issues, as well as contentious matters, including acting for Perrigo Pharma International DAC in relation to a trademark dispute. Ivan Marinov heads the practice group and is noted for his experience in copyright and related rights. In addition to pharmaceuticals, the team counts television and print media companies, producers and performers, among its list of clients.
Perrigo Pharma International DAC
- Advising Teva Pharmaceuticals on intellectual property matters related to SPC protection and SPC validity challenge in Bulgaria.
- Advising Perrigo Pharma International DAC in relation to a trademark dispute in Bulgaria.
Tsvetkova Bebov & Partners acts for its roster of clients on anti-counterfeiting legal actions, registration of trademarks and designs, transfer of copyrights and patents, as well as licensing matters. Following the departure of Ilya Komarevski in September 2021 to Komarevski Dimitrov & Partners, Nikolay Bebov leads the practice group and advises on software licensing agreements and copyright issues. Litigator Victoria Tzonkova is a key member of the team.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising CrazyLabs on the transfer of IP rights and drafting of employment agreement IP clauses in Bulgaria
- Registered a trademark to be used by GoForth Consulting.