Demarest Advogados has a ‘top’ international trade team whose lawyers are ‘available to handle large dumping cases smoothly'. They advise on complex cases across a broad range of industries, such as automotive, manufacturing, steel, fashion, and food, and consistently appear in Brazil’s most significant trade remedies investigations. This includes assisting the Brazilian government on WTO matters, and advising on trade remedies cases initiated by other countries, including the United States, Europe, and Argentina. Practice head José Diaz is a popular name for anti-dumping disputes. Other key individuals include Victor Lopes, who is ‘very experienced in customs law’, Fernando Bueno, ‘an exceptional lawyer with outstanding strategic thinking and a great command of trade law’, and Camila Biral.
International trade in Brazil
‘It is a top team, they are available to handle large dumping cases smoothly, and they are fast and savvy with their input.’
‘Fernando Bueno is an exceptional lawyer with outstanding strategic thinking and a great command of trade law. Victor Lopez is very experienced and extremely knowledgeable in customs law.’
‘The team is knowledgable, proactive and a pleasure to work with. They know what clients need and are able to deliver in a short time-frame.’
‘Fernando is a very professional litigator. He has attention to detail and leaves no stone unturned.’
Varian Medical Systems
Tiffany & Co.
Roche Diabetes Care
National Industry Confederation
Shenzhen Cotran New Material
Tecumseh do Brasil
- Advising Brazilian Sporting Goods Industry Association (APICE) and its member companies and several Chinese manufacturers/exporters on the anti-dumping sunset review investigation and public interest assessment launched by the Brazilian Trade Remedies Authority on footwear products imported from China.
- Assisting USIMINAS in the anti-dumping and countervailing duties sunset reviews concerning cold-rolled steel from Brazil, China, India, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, initiated by the US.
- Representing CSN and Gerdau in a preliminary investigation linked to the sunset review to be initiated against Chinese exports.
Magalhães e Dias - Advocacia has established itself as a market-leading practice with a ‘profound knowledge of trade defence issues’. An already strong team was further enhanced by the recruitment of the highly rated associate Ana Luiza Sanches from Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law, where she was a partner. The team’s ‘excellent professionals’ are ‘fully committed to the demands of clients’, who instruct the firm on contentious and non-contentious matters. This includes support on anti-dumping investigations, public interest cases, public responses to trade negotiations, and requests for temporary tariff reduction. Gabriel Nogueira Dias oversees the department. Other key team members are partner Yi Shin Tang and senior associate Camila Emi Tomimatsu. Former co-head Francisco Niclos Negrao left the firm in February 2023.
Gabriel Nogueira Dias; Yi Shin Tang
‘Excellent professionals, fully committed to the demands of clients, profound knowledge of trade defence issues, in addition to having great credibility with public managers – Camila Emi and Ana Luiza Sanches are recommended.’
SEB do Brasil Produtos Domésticos (Groupe SEB)
MK Eletrodomésticos (Mondial)
ELETROS – National Union of Electrical Products Manufacturers
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Atlas Indústria de Eletrodomésticos
Tramontina – Cutelaria
Tramontina Farroupilha – Indústria Metalúrgica
Brazilian Machinery Builders’ Association (ABIMAQ)
Hasbro do Brasil Indústria e Comércio De Brinquedos e Jogos
IBÁ – Indústria Brasileira de Árvores
AMBEV – Cia. Brasileira de Bebidas (Anheuser-Busch/InBev)
ICs – Instituto Clima e Sociedade
- Representing Suzano, Eldorado, IBÁ and GTM Chemicals in the anti-dumping investigation, and in the parallel public interest analysis procedure, concerning the imports of liquid caustic soda from the US.
- Assisting Ambev and Sindicerv in a joint request for the temporary reduction of the import duties on flat-rolled aluminium for body cans due to shortage reasons.
- Advised Ambev on the sunset review and public interest analysis related to the sunset review procedure requested by Indorama regarding anti-dumping duties applied on imports of PET resin from China, India, Indonesia and Taiwan.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a solid track record in trade remedies investigations dating back to the early 1990s. This ensures an ‘unparalleled knowledge of the legal framework, process and practice, with a 360 degrees view’. Major exporters and manufacturers rely on the firm for key trade-related matters including sunset reviews, public interest proceedings, and safeguarding investigations. This extends to WTO disputes, as well as customs and international trade litigation in the administrative and judicial courts. Clients, including trade associations, come from a range of industries, such as energy, natural resources, chemicals, manufacturing, automotive, food, and fashion. Mauro Berenholc and Renê Medrado jointly lead the team, which includes an experienced team of counsel and associates.
‘Unparalleled knowledge of the legal framework, process and practice, with a 360 degrees view.’
‘Proactive, always ready, pragmatic and extremely knowledgeable and well informed.’
Primient Products Ingredients Brazil
Becton Dickinson Group
ABRABE – Brazilian Association for Beverages
McDonald’s (Arcos Dourados)
Indemil Ind. E Com.
IBÁ – Indústria Brasileira de Árvores
- Assisting the National Citric Acid Industry Association (ABIACID) on the original anti-dumping investigation on the imports into Brazil of citric acid and its salts and esters, originating in Thailand and Colombia.
- Assisting Benton Dickinson in a request for reapplication before the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat to reapply anti-dumping measures on imports into Brazil of disposable syringes originating in China.
- Advising ABRABE, a Brazilian association representing beverage manufacturers and importers in Brazil, in relation to its plea to reduce import tariff rates on glass bottles.
Azevedo Sette Advogados has an ‘extremely professional, responsive and competent’ team that ‘offers expert technical advice on trade remedies and customs matters while ensuring sound strategic counsel in an overarching approach’. Clients include domestic and international companies, such as major food producers and manufacturers, as well as trade associations and sovereign governments. The firm’s comprehensive service offering encompasses WTO disputes, trade remedies claims, import/export controls, trade sanctions, foreign trade policy, and domestic and international litigation. Practice head Luiz Eduardo Salles possesses ‘expert knowledge of trade remedies and WTO processes’. Recently promoted partner Lucas Bianchini has a strong track record in international trade, WTO, antitrust and competition. Senior associate Ingrid Bandeira Santos is also developing a good reputation in this space.
Luiz Eduardo Salles
‘The Azevedo Sette International Trade Law team offers expert technical advice on trade remedies and customs matters while ensuring sound strategic counsel in an overarching approach. Extremely professional, responsive and competent.’
‘I have worked with Luis Eduardo Salles. He is profoundly competent, multilingual and has expert knowledge of trade remedies and WTO processes.’
‘Personalised service, with full attention to the client’s needs. Excellence in service delivery.’
‘Luiz Eduardo Salles – one of Brazil’s leading experts in international trade, with the ability to propose highly creative and practical solutions to the problems presented.’
‘Technically, they are exceptional and I would entrust any of my clients to their care without a moment’s hesitation.
‘Luiz Eduardo Sales is one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever worked with on anti-dumping matters. His understanding of the various issues and his ability to comprehend complex calculations are excellent. I would highly recommend him. Ingrid Bandeira Santos is equally a delight to work with. She is always available, never misses an internal deadline, and has an in-depth understanding of the subject matter.’
Grinberg Cordovil Advogados (GCA) has an ‘extremely knowledgeable’ and specialised practice, with lawyers who are ‘proactive and a pleasure to work with’. The firm’s client base consists of domestic and international importers, exporters, as well as trade associations. They instruct the firm on anti-dumping investigations and various other international trade issues, including compliance and consultancy matters. Singled out for its strong track record in cross-border matters, the team is experienced in dealing with foreign entities, such as the US Department of Commerce. Leonor Cordovil brings ‘fantastic technical knowledge’ and an ‘easy methodology for sharing ideas’. Ricardo Casanova Motta has good expertise in international trade and related areas, such as customs, competition and antitrust. Additionally, senior associate Bernardo Leite is a ‘very professional’ litigator who leaves ‘no stone unturned’.
Leonor Cordovil; Ricardo Motta
‘Leonor Cordovil has fantastic technical knowledge, with an easy methodology for sharing ideas, suggestions and recommendations for clients, in the exact measure of their needs.’
‘The firm’s team is extremely knowledgeable of the matters they work on, providing personalised service with a focus not only on legal issues but also on business matters. Ricardo Motta is recommended.’
‘The team is knowledgable, proactive and a pleasure to work with. They know what clients need and are able to deliver in a short time-frame.’
‘Bernardo and Leonor are very professional litigators. They leave no stone unturned.’
The Dow Chemical Company
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Associação Brasileira do Alumínio (ABAL)
Aperam Inox América do Sul
- Successfully represented the Dow Chemical Company, as a foreign producer, in challenging the sunset review of the anti-dumping duty imposed on the imports of EBMEG from the US, leading to the termination of a duty in place for over 17 years.
- Advising Companhia Brasileira do Alumínio (CBA) on the administrative review of the anti-dumping duty imposed by the US against imports of aluminium foil from Brazil.
- Successfully advised Proquigel Química (Unigel Group), as an importer, on the investigation of dumping on imports of caustic soda from the US.
MPA Trade Law
Highly rated boutique MPA Trade Law has an ‘extremely dedicated team’ that provides 'excellent' assistance to domestic and international importers and exporters. A popular choice for Brazilian trade associations, the firm is frequently engaged in major trade investigations, policy initiatives, tariff negotiations and reduction requests. Lead partners Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo are routinely sought out by domestic and multinational clients from an array of sectors, including food, chemicals, and steel.
Claudia Marques; Rodrigo Pupo
‘Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo are excellent professionals, with a lot of technical knowledge and great personalities to work with.’
‘Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo – I believe they are the best international trade boutique lawyers in Brazil.’
‘MPA Trade Law has a work of excellent quality, and differs from other law firms as they carry out a deeper analysis and go beyond what is expected, never remaining only on the surface of the subject. The team is always available to support and are very proactive.’
Abal (Brazilian Aluminium Association)
Occidental Chemical Corporation
C.Vale Cooperativa Agroindustrial
Omron Healthcare Brasil
- Successfully representing Brazil’s Aluminium Association (ABAL) and OxyChem, a caustic soda producer, in the investigation on Brazilian imports of liquid caustic soda from the US.
- Success in assisting C.Vale in a dumping investigation in South Africa against Brazilian exports of certain poultry products.
- Successfully assisting Elekeiroz in the extension of anti-dumping (AD) duties on imports of butanol originating in Russia and South Africa.
Established in early 2023 by a team of international trade specialists who were formerly at Mundie e Advogados, MW Trade possesses over two decades of experience in trade remedies investigations. Trade associations, major international and domestic manufacturers and importers turn to the firm for advice on anti-dumping cases and sunset reviews. The group, which possesses strong connections with clients across Southeast Asia, Europe, Africa, Latin America and the US, is under the joint leadership of name partners Carol Monteiro de Carvalho and Andrea Weiss Balassiano.
Carol Monteiro de Carvalho; Andrea Weiss Balassiano
‘We choose to work with MW Trade because there’s a professional and experienced team of lawyers engaged in international trade law.’
‘Carolina Carvalho and Andrea Weiss Balassiano are professional and responsible.’
‘In addition to the high technical quality, service is provided directly by the partners Andrea Weiss and Carol Monteiro de Carvalho in an agile and personalised manner.’
Oswaldo Cruz Química
adidas do Brasil
Pou Chen Group / Apache Group / Dean Shoes and Tae Kwang Group
Abióptica – Associação Brasileiras das Indústrias Ópticas.
Nitriflex Indústria e Comercio
Ápice – Associação pela Indústria e Comércio Esportivo
- Representing Albaugh do Brazil, the only Brazilian exporter, in an anti-dumping investigation against the Brazilian exports of fungicides to Argentina.
- Representing Oswaldo Cruz Química in the anti-dumping investigation against the Brazilian imports of acrylate butyl from Russia.
- Representing Shandong Ensign industry in the sunset review of the anti-dumping duty applied against the Brazilian imports of citric acid from China.
Veirano Advogados has an ‘extremely proactive, organised’ team that is ‘always delivering information clearly and objectively’. The firm stands out for its ‘skill in dealing with technical issues’ on behalf of domestic and international importers, exporters, and trade associations. The team covers anti-dumping investigations and reviews, trade remedy proceedings, public consultations and WTO negotiations and disputes, where it represents clients operating in the automotive, chemicals, animal protein and health, paper products, and electronics industries. The ‘very technical and committed’ practice head Ana Caetano ‘stands out for her ability’ in both contentious and non-contentious matters. The well-regarded team of associates includes Lucas Biasetton, the ‘very proactive’ Maria Carolina Pereira, and the ‘extremely competent’ Mariana Boralli. Marina Martes left the firm in July 2021.
‘Veirano Advogados stood out to me for its skill in dealing with technical issues.’
‘The partner Ana Caetano certainly stands out for her ability in dealing with anti-dumping matters. She is very technical and committed. The associate Maria Carolina Pereira is also recommended for her knowledge and promptness. She is very proactive and attentive to details.’
‘Extremely proactive, organised, always delivering information clearly and objectively.’
‘Mariana Boralli is extremely competent.’
Brazilian Association of Chemical Industry (ABIQUIM)
Brazilian Association of Animal Protein (ABPA)
Cooperativa Central Aurora Alimentos
Dunkin’ Brands / Inspire Brands
Jaguar e Land Rover Brasil Indústria e Comércio de Veículos
- Represented ABIQUIM, the Brazilian Association for the chemical industry, in the class action against Brazilian trade regulation and practice on public interest proceedings that have resulted in the reduction, suspension and/or termination of anti-dumping duties.
- Represented Braskem, the domestic producer of polyvinylchloride suspension (PVC-S), polypropylene resins (PP), polyethylene (PE) and liquid caustic soda, in several different trade proceedings.
- Represented Vipal, producer of products for re-treading and repairing rubber tires, in several trade proceedings.
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law
Boutique Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law has a strong following among clients from the aluminium, petrochemicals, plastic and paper industries, which turn to the team for advice on the entire spectrum of international trade matters. The ‘always accessible’ group is led by name partner Carla Junqueira, who splits her time between Brazil and Argentina, and is ‘always at the forefront of actions’. The practice has a solid track record in trade remedies, trade policy and tariff adjustments, World Trade Organization (WTO) affairs, and related litigation. Former partner Ana Luiza Sanches left the firm in September 2022.
‘The Carla Junqueira & Associados law firm acts transparently and with integrity in dialogue with government authorities. The work carried out by the team is always based on the construction of materials that can support debates between the public and private sectors, always with reliable data and information.’
‘It is important to mention the leadership of Carla Junqueira, who is always at the forefront of actions and with innovative proposals for actions with the public authorities.’
Procter & Gamble Brasil
Brazilian Association of Producers of Cans for Beverages (Abralatas)
Movimento Down NGO
Gol Linhas Aéreas
- Representing P&G in a claim to exclude the polymer called absorbent gel material (AGM) from the list of exceptions to the Common Mercosur External Tariff, since the current alteration measure is only temporary.
- Represented Oxiteno in a case regarding a list of similar products produced in Brazil.
- Represented Abralatas in a reduction claim over the import duty levied on input aluminium coils used as the raw material for can manufacturing.
Madrona Fialho Advogados provides services ‘of the highest quality’ backed by its ‘in-depth knowledge of laws and regulations’ in international trade. Clients, ranging from major domestic and international companies to industry associations, appreciate the firm’s ‘agility, commitment, punctuality, and team work’. The practice advises on contentious and non-contentious WTO matters, international trade negotiations, policy studies, and trade remedy investigations. Key partners include Belo Horizonte-based Leonardo Canabrava, who specialises in trade and related antitrust issues, and the ‘excellent’ Lucas Spadano in São Paulo, who has a ‘high level of knowledge of national and international laws and regulations’.
Lucas Spadano; Leonardo Canabrava
‘Service of the highest quality. In-depth knowledge of laws and regulations. Agility, commitment, punctuality, and team work.’
‘Lucas Spadano – excellent professional, articulate, skilled, and with a high level of knowledge of national and international laws and regulations.’
ABRINQ – Associação Brasileira dos Fabricantes de Brinquedos
BYD Energy do Brasil
Wyda Indústria de Embalagens
Brazilian Machine and Equipment Industry Association (ABIMAQ)
Innovative Seed Solutions (“ISS”)
Sunew Filmes Fotovoltaicos Impressos (“Sunew”)
ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions
Confederação Nacional da Indústria – CNI (the National Industry Confederation in Brazil)
Clamper Indústria e Comércio
- Assisting CNI and 12 other industry associations with a study concerning the consequences of Brazil’s decision to accede to the WTO Government Procurement Agreement.
- Representing the Brazilian subsidiary of the multinational solar panel manufacturer BYD in judicial proceedings seeking the suspension of the effects of a government resolution to reduce import taxes on solar panels to zero the import taxes.
- Represented Rima in the sunset review of the anti-dumping duty applied to Chinese imports of powdered magnesium.
TozziniFreire Advogados possesses ‘technical and specialised knowledge' of international trade. The group acts for domestic and international clients in anti-dumping investigations and sunset reviews, and is also proficient in compliance issues. Clients rate the ‘extreme professionalism’ of the team, which is led by Vera Kanas, whose previous experience at Brazil’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and track record in WTO disputes are noteworthy. Lisandra Pacheco excels in customs and tariff issues.
‘A team committed to solving client matters. High technical and specialised knowledge.’
‘Up-to-date professionals with high technical knowledge. Vera Kanas is recommended.’
‘Technical capacity, specific knowledge, professionalism of lawyers, procedural assertiveness.’
‘High technical knowledge, with empathetic didactics to the client’s needs. Extreme professionalism and broadly ethical.’
‘Customs expertise and client focus’
‘Lisandra Pacheco – a reference in Brazil in customs and indirect (as well as COMEX). Always available and with effective ideas and strategies, in addition to exquisite technical performance.’
‘Tozzini Freire’s team is unique for its technical excellence, knowledge of the client’s business, and attention to detail. Firm with efficient management, transparent corporate governance and opportunities to value internal teams.’
‘Vera Kanas Gritz has above average technical knowledge.’
CMPC Celulose Riograndense
Valeo Sistemas Automotivos
Dover Fuel Solutions
- Represented CPMC Celulose Riograndense as a consumer of the product under investigation, in the anti-dumping investigation on the imports of caustic soda from the US.
- Representing Gazprom and Sibur as the only Russian exporters in the anti-dumping investigation in Brazil on the imports of butyl acrylate from Russia.
- Represented Valeo Sistemas Automotivos, as user, in the global disputes concerning the trade of aluminium laminates from China, which includes anti-dumping and countervailing investigations in Brazil.