Demarest Advogados has an ‘exceptional‘ international trade team, which regularly handles ‘very complex cases and processes large volumes of information and documentation‘. The firm is regularly found on Brazil’s largest trade remedies investigations, with expertise covering a wide range of industries, including manufacturing, steel, fashion, food and automotive. This experience extends to trade remedies cases initiated by other countries, including matters in the US, Europe and Argentina. WTO cases also feature prominently, with the Brazilian Government often instructing the firm. Practice head José Diaz is highly experienced in anti-dumping measures and related disputes. Other key partners include Oswaldo De Moraes, who has over 45 years’ experience, Camila Biral, Victor Lopes and recently promoted partner Fernando Bueno, ‘a brilliant lawyer who can put together very complex filings and has a great sense of strategy’.
International trade in Brazil
‘The team is very sound; they can handle very complex cases and process large volumes of information and documentation. It is an exceptional team.’
‘Fernando Bueno is a brilliant lawyer who can put together very complex filings and has a great sense of strategy.’
‘Demarest offers a wide range of high quality legal services. The ability to understand the client’s business environment and provide guidance quickly and through a very result-oriented dialogue is a very positive differential.’
‘José Dias and Fernando Bueno, as well as the entire international trade team, stand out.’
National Industry Confederation (CNI)
Brazilian Sporting Goods Industry Association (APICE)
National Tyre Industry Association (ANIP)
- Advising Brazilian Sporting Goods Industry Association (APICE) and its member companies and several Chinese manufacturers/exporters on the anti-dumping sunset review investigation and public interest assessment launched by Brazilian Trade Remedies Authority on footwear products imported from China.
- Assisting Aliança Bike in an application for the reduction of import duties on bicycle components.
- Assisting USIMINAS in the anti-dumping and countervailing duties sunset reviews concerning cold-rolled steel from Brazil, China, India, Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom, initiated by the US.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a ‘spectacular‘ practice with ‘knowledge of cases of great complexity‘. The dedicated team has been involved in trade remedies investigations since the early 1990s. The lawyers have strong track records advising domestic manufacturers and exporters on sunset reviews, as well as public interest proceedings and safeguard investigations. Their expertise also covers WTO disputes and support in related customs and international trade litigation before the administrative and judicial courts. The firm’s credentials are built around a strong connection with multiple industries, including energy, natural resources, chemicals, manufacturing, automotive, food and fashion. Clients, including major multinationals and trade associations, praise the team’s ‘excellent professionals‘ including practice heads Mauro Berenholc and Renê Medrado, and associate Cora Mendes. Since publication, João Rafael L. Gândara de Carvalho has been raised to the partnership – with effect from January 2023.
Mauro Berenholc; Renê Medrado
‘Spectacular firm. Great knowledge of cases of great complexity, lots of experience and excellent professionals, including Mauro Berenholc and Cora Mendes.’
General Motors do Brasil
Indústria Brasileira de Árvores (Ibá)
GRU Airport (Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Guarulhos )
Vertex Farmacêutica do Brasil
Tetra Pak Group
Becton Dickinson Group
ABIACID (Associação Brasileira da Industria de Ácido Cítrico e Derivados)
- Assisted Pfizer in the analysis of customs, commercial and regulatory constraints for the exportation of Covid-19 related pharmaceutical products, including vaccines, as the products were manufactured in Brazil.
- Assisted Becton Dickinson Indústrias Cirúrgicas in the second sunset review proceeding concerning antidumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of disposable syringes originating in China.
- Acted for BASF in the second sunset review proceeding concerning anti-dumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of butyl acrylate originating in the US.
Azevedo Sette Advogados is a popular choice for WTO disputes and trade remedies claims. The ‘very professional‘ team, whose lawyers ‘cover a lot of areas of expertise‘, including trade sanctions, import/export controls, foreign trade policy, and related domestic and international litigation, is a ‘trusted local counsel' for several international companies. Clients range from major manufacturers and food producers, to trade associations and sovereign governments, including Brazil. Practice chair Luiz Eduardo Salles is an ‘excellent trade lawyer‘ who is ‘well known among the Brazilian trade officials'. Senior associates Lucas Bianchini and Ingrid Bandeira Santos are also names to note.
Luiz Eduardo Salles
‘Azevedo Sette is a trusted local counsel for us. They cover a lot of areas of expertise, and we find them intellectually honest and forthcoming about what they can and cannot do. They are one of our first stops when we are seeking local counsel in Brazil.’
‘Luiz Eduardo Salles is our main contact at the firm. He is an excellent trade lawyer with strong experience and expertise. He is well known among the Brazilian trade officials, and very friendly and easy to work with. We very much enjoy working with him all these years.’
‘One of Brazil’s best trade remedies teams. Truly capable of handling complex matters.’
‘Excellent command of the issues and technical skills. Excellent language skills. Luiz Eduardo Salles has been an exceptional counterpart in a complex trade dispute. His instinct and his legal talent are immense.’
- Advised Brazil’s Mission to the WTO in Geneva on its dispute against Indonesia on import barriers to Brazilian chicken exports.
- Represented Oxiteno in a series of anti-dumping proceedings on EBMEG imported from France, Germany and the US, including sunset reviews (Germany and the US) and an original investigation (France).
- Represented Copacol (Cooperativa Agroindustrial Consolata) in the investigation initiated by South Africa on exports of Brazilian poultry.
Grinberg Cordovil Advogados (GCA) has a specialised team with good experience of anti-dumping investigations and other international trade issues, including compliance and consultancy matters. Clients include major domestic and international importers, exporters and trade associations. The firm, which is noted for its cross-border capabilities, has longstanding relationships with several major multinationals, including chemicals company Dow. The team is also well placed to act in high-profile representations before foreign entities, including the US Department of Commerce. Leonor Cordovil and Ricardo Cassanova Motta are key contacts for related mandates. Senior associate Bernardo Leite is another name to note.
Leonor Cordovil; Ricardo Motta
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Associação Brasileira do Alumínio (ABAL)
Aperam Inox América do Sul
LANXESS Indústria de Produtos Químicos e Plásticos
- Assisted Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio on the investigation of subsidies on the US imports of aluminium sheets.
- Representing The Dow Chemical Company and Union Carbide on the sunset review of Butyl Cellosolve anti-dumping duties imposed by Brazil.
- Advising Proquigel Química, Unigel Participações and Unigel Plásticos on the investigation of dumping on Brazilian imports of caustic soda from the US, and on the corresponding Public Interest Analysis.
Magalhães e Dias – Advocacia is a highly rated boutique with a strong focus on international trade and related antitrust matters. Combining a strong selection of lawyers and economists, the firm applies a holistic response to its clients’ contentious and non-contentious needs. Clients operate in a range of key industries, and the firm is particularly prominent in anti-dumping investigations, public interest cases, public responses to trade negotiations, and temporary tariff reduction requests. ‘Excellent care and case follow-up‘ and ‘extreme commitment‘ from the deep team of senior and junior lawyers ensure an impressive degree of client loyalty. Practice heads Gabriel Nogueira Dias and the ‘excellent‘ Francisco Niclós Negrão share nearly 40 years of market experience. The firm has a strong group of senior associates, including Camila Emi Tomimatsu , who is praised for her ‘professionalism‘.
Gabriel Nogueira Dias; Francisco Niclós Negrão
‘Excellent care and follow-up of the case, in addition to an extreme commitment and differentiated degree of depth.’
‘I would highlight the work and involvement of Francisco Niclós Negrão so that each delivery is excellent. I would also highlight Camila Emi Tomimatsu’s professionalism and close follow-up.’
‘The great differential is the personalised service and level of depth of knowledge of the team. They are always available and I am always amazed at the high level of services they provide. Engagement and dedication are always present in everything they do.’
‘Francisco Niclós Negrão is currently one of the best lawyers, if not the best, in the area of international trade in the country. He has an incredible depth in his analysis and, at the same time, a great power of synthesis highly valued by those who are on the side of the company and need to pass the information to management in a clear and direct way. In addition, he is highly respected by the authorities for his knowledge. His fluency in English and Spanish, in addition to Portuguese, is a great differential, especially for companies with presence in several countries.’
SEB do Brasil Produtos Domésticos (Groupe SEB)
MK Eletrodomésticos (Mondial)
ELETROS – National Union of Electrical Products Manufacturers
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Atlas Indústria de Eletrodomésticos
Tramontina – Cutelaria
Tramontina Farroupilha – Indústria Metalúrgica
Brazilian Machinery Builders´ Association (ABIMAQ)
Hasbro do Brasil Indústria e Comércio De Brinquedos e Jogos
IBÁ – Indústria Brasileira de Árvores
AMBEV – Cia. Brasileira de Bebidas (Anheuser-Busch/InBev)
ICs – Instituto Clima e Sociedade
- Advised HASBRO on a request for the reduction of the import tax against the Brazilian imports of toys from China.
- Representing Suzano, Eldorado, IBÁ and GTM Chemicals in the anti-dumping investigation, and in the parallel public interest analysis procedure, concerning the imports of liquid caustic soda from the US.
- Represented Terphane, the sole producer of PET film in Brazil, in three public interest analyses proceedings, including the review of anti-dumping measures against imports of PET film from Peru, Bahrain, China, Egypt and India.
MPA Trade Law
MPA Trade Law is a highly experienced trade boutique that represents an impressive mix of domestic and international importers and exporters. Brazilian trade associations also regularly instruct the firm on high-profile trade investigations and policy initiatives. Further areas of expertise include advice on non-tariff barriers, trade policy, and sustainability regulations and practices. Department heads Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo share over 40 years’ market experience. An expanding associate team includes Vitor Leite, who has a notable track record in major investigations, trade negotiations and tariff reduction requests. The firm has recently been involved in several significant matters affecting the food, chemicals, and metals industries.
Claudia Marques; Rodrigo Pupo
Abal (Brazilian Aluminium Association)
Tigre Materiais e Soluções para Construção
CNI (Brazil’s National Confederation of Industry)
ABINT (Brazilian Association of the Nonwovens and Technical Industries)
Omron Healthcare Brasil
C.Vale Cooperativa Agroindustrial
- Representing Brazil’s Aluminium Association (ABAL) and OxyChem, a caustic soda producer, in the investigation on Brazilian imports of liquid caustic soda from the US.
- Represents C.Vale, a poultry producer, in a dumping investigation in South Africa against Brazilian exports of certain poultry products.
- Represented Petrom Petroquímica and Elekeiroz in the investigation on Brazilian imports of phthalic anhydride from Israel and Russia.
Mundie e Advogados' trade practice adds value through its ‘quality of service and availability‘. The firm represents domestic manufacturers, importers, multinational companies and trade associations from across a wide range of industries. The team has been involved in a number of high-profile anti-dumping cases and sunset reviews, with clients coming from key Brazilian trading partners, including China, South Africa, Mexico, USA and Taiwan. The firm’s lead partners, Carol Monteiro de Carvalho and Andrea Weiss Balassiano, are fully plugged into the market and considered ‘top Brazilian trade practitioners who know what they are doing and get good results‘.
Carol Monteiro de Carvalho; Andréa Weiss Balassiano
‘Carol Monteiro de Carvalho is an expert lawyer in the area, who has worked with me and with several partners of mine in the International Trade area.’
‘Quality of service and availability to help the client and add value.’
‘Andrea Weiss Balassiano and Carol Monteiro de Carvalho lead a trade practice that stands out in Brazil because of their knowledge about Brazilian trade remedies law and practice.’
‘Andrea Weiss Balassiano and Carolina Monteiro are top Brazilian trade practitioners who know what they are doing and get good results.’
Sasol Limited Company
Oswaldo Cruz Química
Jinan Shengquan Group
Exxon Mobile Química
adidas do Brasil
Pou Chen Group / Apache Group / Dean Shoes and Tae Kwang Group
Abióptica – Associação Brasileiras das Indústrias Ópticas
Nitriflex Indústria e Comercio
- Representing Ápice (Associação pela Indústria e Comércio Esportivo) in the anti-dumping review and in the Public Interest Assessment (PIC) concerning the anti-dumping measures applied against imports of footwear from China.
- Representing Oswaldo Cruz Química in the anti-dumping investigation against the Brazilian imports of acrylate butyl from Russia.
- Assisting Viasat in building an effective customs structure to import foreign equipment necessary to promote the Brazilian government’s goal of universal access to broadband internet.
Veirano Advogados has an experienced and focused trade team that provides ‘great support‘ and ‘excellent service‘ to domestic and international importers and exporters, as well as trade associations. The ‘knowledgeable‘ lawyers have a deep understanding of several key industries that have undergone investigations or required representation, including auto parts, chemicals, animal protein and health, paper, rubber tires, and electronics. This includes support on WTO negotiations and disputes, anti-dumping investigations and reviews, trade remedy proceedings and public consultations. Practice head Ana Teresa Caetano has a strong reputation for contentious and non-contentious issues. Experienced associate Marina Martes is another standout individual.
‘Veirano’s team showed excellent service compared to other firms we have worked with and when we needed technical knowledge on the subject we are dealing with, it was possible to notice that all the people were very were knowledgeable, and could provide us with great support.’
‘Veirano has a complete and dedicated team, whose expertise is unquestionable and very focused on each client.’
‘Ana Caetano has unquestionable technical knowledge and solid experience in administrative jurisprudence.’
Associação Brasileira de Proteína Animal (ABPA) / Brazilian Association of Animal Protein
Cooperativa Central Aurora Alimentos
Dunkin’ Brands/Inspire Brands
Merck Sharp Dhome (MSD – Animal Health)
Química Amparo (Ypê)
Rhodia Poliamida e Especialidades (Rhodia)
- Representing the Associação Brasileira de Proteína Animal’s interests in the WTO dispute brought by Brazil against a set of EU Regulations concerning different criteria of salmonella control in fresh poultry meat and poultry meat preparation.
- Representing Braskem, a domestic producer of polyvinylchloride suspension (PVC-S), polypropylene resins (PP) and liquid caustic soda, in several trade proceedings.
- Representing Aurora, a Brazilian producer and exporter of poultry products, in the anti-dumping investigation by the South African Customs Union (SACU) on imports of poultry products from Brazil, Denmark, Ireland, Poland and Spain.
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law is a popular boutique that provides an ‘excellent technical and personalised service’ with ‘friendliness and efficiency‘. The team often acts in major anti-dumping reviews affecting key industries, including plastics, aluminium, paper and food products. Other areas of expertise include trade remedies, trade policy and tariff changes, WTO matters, and trade-related litigation. Name partner Carla Junqueira, who divides her time between Brazil and Argentina, is a ‘great leader’ who ‘always acts with strategic perspective‘. The ‘super dedicated and competent‘ partner Ana Luiza Sanches is praised for her clear communication and prompt responses.
Carla Junqueira; Ana Luiza Sanches
‘Impeccable service, availability, a group of prominent women, who know a lot and who understand the need of the client.’
‘The firm has a transparent way of working and with an ethical team specialised in international trade.’
‘Professional lawyers, experienced and very attentive and helpful. In addition to their extensive experience, they also take actions in support of the right of people with disabilities and also in the fight against violence against women. They work with us in Brazil and abroad, including Argentina.’
‘Excellent technical and personalised service, and understanding of clients’ needs. Efficiency.’
‘Carla Junqueira, and Ana Luiza Sanches – super dedicated and competent.’
‘They always seek the best format to meet the demands presented in international trade matters.’
‘Carla Junqueira always acts with strategic perspective, predicting gains, losses and consequences of each step to be taken in the process. A great leader.’
‘Ana Luiza Sanches – highly technical, responds promptly, is competent, polite and kind.’
Procter & Gamble Brasil
Movimento Down NGO
- Advised the NGO Movimento Down on the reduction of import duty levied on products for differently-abled people.
- Advised Korin Agropecuária on the liability of contaminated containers shipped from Argentina to Brazil.
- Assisted AkzoNobel in a review of anti-dumping duties applied on imports of butyl acrylate from the US into Brazil.
Fialho Salles Advogados
Fialho Salles Advogados has a ‘very good team‘, which represents a broad mix of industry associations, and domestic and international companies. The ‘always very friendly‘ group works closely with colleagues in the tax practice to offer a comprehensive service that is commended for its ‘technical knowledge‘ and ‘good communication‘. The firm provides strategic advocacy and litigation support across key areas, including international trade negotiations, policy studies, trade remedy investigations, and WTO matters. Lead partners include Leonardo Canabrava in Belo Horizonte for trade and related antitrust issues, and São Paulo’s Lucas Spadano for trade, competition and IP.
Leonardo Canabrava; Lucas Spadano
‘Very good team led by Lucas Spadano: technical knowledge, good communication and always very friendly in serving clients.’
Weg Electric Corp
ABRINQ – Associação Brasileira dos Fabricantes de Brinquedos
BYD Energy do Brasil
Wyda Indústria de Embalagens
Innovative Seed Solutions
Sunew Filmes Fotovoltaicos Impressos
Centro de Inovações CSEM Brasil
ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions
Ministry of Economy
Clamper Indústria e Comércio
- Represented RIMA Industrial in the sunset review of anti-dumping duty applied to the imports of metallic magnesium from China.
- Advised Confederação Nacional da Indústria and 12 major industry associations in the development of a study concerning Brazil’s accession to the WTO’s Government Procurement Agreement.
- Represented ThyssenKrupp in challenging requests for temporary reduction of the import tax for informatics and telecoms goods (BIT) and capital goods (BK).
TozziniFreire Advogados has a ‘highly specialised‘ international trade team that offers clients ‘360° knowledge of each theme and the impacts and benefits‘. The ‘attentive, competent, objective, ethical and strategic‘ practice head Vera Kanas brings over 20 years’ market experience, including time spent working on WTO disputes for Brazil’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The lawyers regularly advise domestic and international clients on trade remedies and compliance issues, including anti-dumping investigations and sunset reviews. There is close co-ordination with the tax practice on related customs and tariff issues, an area where partner Lisandra Pacheco is particularly experienced.
‘Highly specialised team, with unique relationship level with each client, understanding their purposes and strategies. Advanced technical quality, involvement, 360° knowledge of each theme and the impacts and benefits. They are absolutely market benchmarks, both in Brazil and abroad.’
‘Vera Kanas and Isabelle Ruiz Guero are both attentive, competent, objective, ethical and strategic professionals.’
‘Technical quality, competence, attention, and great client care.’
‘I’d highlight Lisandra Pacheco.’
‘Quickly understands the client’s needs, and practical knowledge of customs and trade matters.’
Sumitomo Rubber Industries
Valeo Sistemas Automotivos
CMPC Celulose Riograndense
- Represented Greiner Bio-One Brasil in the sunset review regarding the anti-dumping duties applicable to the imports of blood collection tubes.
- Representing Correias Mercurio in the application procedure to reduce the tariffs applied to the importation of steel cords used to produce conveyor belts in Brazil.
- Representing CMPC, a pulp producer in Brazil, in an anti-dumping investigation into imports of caustic soda from the US.