The dedicated and highly specialised international trade team at Demarest Advogados is ‘very business-oriented and client-focused‘. The team specialises in trade remedies, WTO cases and free trade negotiations, and has acted on behalf of the footwear, clothing, steel, food and chemicals industries. The team has also assisted Brazilian companies in trade remedies cases in the US, including those targeting the export of steel rubber and silicon metals. Practice head José Diaz has over 20 years in the market and an established track record in anti-dumping and related disputes. Other key individuals include Oswaldo De Moraes, who has advised on tax, international trade and customs matters for over 45 years, Camila Biral, Victor Lopes and Fernando Bueno, who made partner in January 2022.
International trade in Brazil
‘They have the deepest bench and they are very knowledgeable and technically solid in trade remedies and customs procedures. They have a lot of expertise and can handle large cases without problem. They did excellent work in an anti-dumping case. They are very business-oriented and client-focused. They have political sensibility and good relations with government officials. They are team players and easy to coordinate the work with them.’
‘The firm has vary solid bench, with partners Jose Diaz Setti, Fernando Bueno and Victor Lopes as their leaders. Fernando is extremelly skillful and knowledgable of all the details of an antidumping process. He has a clear sense of the trade off in the different strategic choices. Victor Lopes has perfect command of the customs procedures in Brasil. Milena Acevedo is very knowledgable on WTO regulations and international trade policy.’
‘Hands-on, being able to imagine how a business environment reacts to certain requests.’
‘Pragmatic and well organised.’
‘Fernando is a very clever lawyer with a great sense of humor.’
Government of Brazil
National Industry Confederation (CNI)
National Tyre Industry Association (ANIP)
Sports Industry Association (Ápice Brasil)
- Assisting ANIP (the National Tyre Industry Association) in the anti-dumping sunset review investigation on Brazilian imports of certain types of bus and truck tyres originating from China.
- Representing the domestic industry (Arcelor Mittal, Gerdau and CSN) in the Brazilian investigation of dumping and subsidies against imports of hot-rolled steel flat products. The dumping investigation was against imports originated from Russia and China.
- Defended McCain Group in a French fries’ investigation against Germany, France, Holland and Belgium.
Pinheiro Neto Advogados has a solid track record in representing companies and trade organisations in high-profile trade remedies investigations. This includes advising on sunset reviews, public interest proceedings and safeguards investigations, both for importers and exporters. The team is co-led by the highly experienced Mauro Berenholc and Renê Medrado, and works in conjunction with partners in the tax team such as Carlos Henrique Tranjan Bechara on customs issues. Advice on anti-dumping featured prominently on the team's workload in 2020; examples included its advice to clients on measures put in place on the imports of disposable syringes from China during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Mauro Berenholc; Renê Medrado
General Motors do Brasil
GRU Airport (Concessionária do Aeroporto Internacional de Guarulhos)
Tetra Pak Group
Becton Dickinson Group
ABIACID (Associação Brasileira da Industria de Ácido Cítrico e Derivados)
- Assisting BASF in the second sunset review proceeding initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat in a view to renew the anti-dumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of butyl acrylate originating in the US.
- Advising Becton Dickinson Indústrias Cirúrgicas in the second sunset review proceeding initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat concerning anti-dumping measures in place on the imports into Brazil of disposable syringes originating in China.
- Assisting Tetra Pak in the anti-dumping investigation initiated by the Brazilian Foreign Trade Secretariat concerning imports into Brazil of aluminium laminates (plates, strips and foil) originating from China.
Azevedo Sette Advogados' international trade practice is 'extremely knowledgeable, efficient and composed of real team players'. It has established itself as a strong choice for advice on trade remedies and WTO law, trade sanctions and import/export controls. The firm has represented clients in significant matters involving trade partners such as the US, China, Canada, India and Australia, and also advises on domestic measures and investigations. Practice head Luiz Eduardo Salles is very well respected in the market and has represented Brazil before the WTO. He is backed by an experienced team of associates, including Ingrid Bandeira Santos and Lucas Bianchini, who represent a mix of exporters and domestic petitioners and importers.
Luiz Eduardo Salles
‘An excellent trade law team that has practical insight into the needs of its clients. Luiz Salles has exceptional leadership skills and stands out as the leading customs and international trade lawyer in Brazil.’
‘The team is extremely knowledgeable, efficient and composed of real team players. It is not easy to find a team of lawyers who have all these qualities. Luiz Eduardo Salles and Ingrid Bandeira Santos are key contacts. Luiz has an exceptional knowledge and had uncommon negotiating skills. He is a very honest person. Ingrid is also a great lawyer, extremely diligent and acute. They are certainly among the best trade lawyers in Brazil.’
BF International Consulting
Permanent Mission of Brazil to the WTO
ELETROS – Brazilian Association of Manufacturers of Electric and Electronic Appliances
Abiplast – Brazilian Plastic Industry Association
CNI – Confederação Nacional Da Indústria (National Industry Confederation)
COPACOL – Cooperativa Agroindustrial Consolata
- Advised Brazil’s Mission to the WTO in Geneva on the dispute brought by Brazil against Indonesia on import barriers to Brazilian chicken exports.
- Represented the Brazilian Plastic Industry Association (ABIPLAST) in the termination of the anti-dumping duties on polyvinyl chloride (PVC) imports from South Korea and the suspension of the duties from China after 11 years.
- Represented ELETROS and ABIPLAST in a dispute concerning the public interest analysis of the application of anti-dumping duties on imports of polypropylene (PP) from India, South Africa, South Korea and the US.
Grinberg Cordovil Advogados (GCA) fields a team of highly dedicated lawyers with a strong focus on international trade remedies, especially anti-dumping investigations, as well as general trade compliance and consultancy work. The firm acts for several leading companies and trade associations, and regularly represents clients abroad, as was the case with Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio, which it assisted in a US investigation into dumping and subsidies on imports of aluminium sheets from Brazil. Leonor Cordovil and Ricardo Cassanova Motta are both leading figures in the area, representing clients from across a range of industries.
Leonor Cordovil; Ricardo Motta
‘The GCA team is very responsive and insightful. They are quick to respond to inquiries and provide guidance on key legal issues. Their advice has been not only useful, but essential at key points in our matter. The GCA attorneys with whom we work are not only knowledgeable and professional, but incredibly friendly. I genuinely enjoy corresponding with them, and look forward to our work together. Stand-out partners and associates include Leonor Cordovil, Ricardo Motta, and Bernardo Leite.’
‘The office’s dedication and knowledge is something that makes it unique. A well-connected team, with a long period of time working together, that manages to deliver excellent results and, also, due to a long-term partnership, can help with versatility and agility, which is always necessary for our company.’
‘Leonor is a great lawyer with excellent people skills.’
The Dow Chemical Company
Dow Brasil Sudeste Industrial, Rohm and Haas Química
Rohm and Haas Texas Inc., Rohm and Haas Chemical
Lignotech Brasil Produtos de Lignina
Associação Brasileira do Alumínio (ABAL)
Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio
Novelis do Brasil
- Represented Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio in a US investigation into the practice of dumping and subsidies on its imports of aluminum sheets from Brazil and other origins.
- Assisted Companhia Brasileira de Alumínio in challenging a request made by Alcast to extend to aluminum coils a tariff reduction applicable to unwrought aluminium.
- Advised Dow Group on Brazil’s sunset review of the anti-dumping duty imposed on imports of butyl acrylate originating from the US.
Magalhães e Dias - Advocacia is a specialised economic law boutique with a strong emphasis on international trade law and related regulatory and antitrust matters. The team handles a mix of litigation and consultancy work, including advice on anti-dumping investigations, public interest cases, tariff barriers and WTO agreements. It works with an impressive range of domestic and international clients, including household goods, appliance and raw material manufacturers. Gabriel Nogueira Dias is a leading choice for strategic judicial and administrative disputes, while Francisco Niclós Negrão is highly experienced in advising importers and exporters on anti-dumping procedures. Déborah Melo is a key contact at the associate level.
Gabriel Nogueira Dias; Francisco Niclós Negrão
‘Specific technical expertise in a very specialised law field. Extreme dedication to cases and ease of contact, at any time, both with partners and associates.’
‘Francisco Niclós Negrão stands out in the anti-dumping law market, for his deep technical knowledge and experience.’
SEB do Brasil Produtos Domésticos (Groupe SEB)
MK Eletrodomésticos (Mondial)
ELETROS – National Union of Electrical Products Manufacturers
Suzano Papel e Celulose
Atlas Indústria de Eletrodomésticos
Tramontina – Cutelaria
- Successfully advised Hasbro in a request for the reduction of the import tax against the Brazilian imports of toys from China, from the rate in Brazil of 35% to 20%.
- Representing Eletros in the sunset review procedure requested by Abividro over an anti-dumping duty applied against the imports of colourless float glass and in the related public interest analysis procedure.
- Representing Terphane, the sole domestic producer of PET film, in the public interest proceedings regarding the anti-dumping measures imposed on the PET film imports from China, Peru and Egypt.
MPA Trade Law
International trade and WTO law is the core focus for MPA Trade Law, which represents a broad array of international and domestic importers and exporters, including major trade associations. 2020 saw the firm advising on an increasing number of trade-related sustainability regulations and practices affecting Brazilian exports of agricultural and processed products. Reflective of the team's status in the market was its work for the CNI (Brazil's National Confederation of Industry) on two trade policy studies relating to structural changes to the Brazilian Chamber of Foreign Trade. Other traditional areas of support include anti-dumping investigations and related public interest inquiries, sunset reviews and negotiations regarding tariff changes. Lead partners Claudia Marques and Rodrigo Pupo have established extremely good reputations.
Claudia Marques; Rodrigo Pupo
‘Strong technical and organisational ability and resilience in the face of political difficulties.’
‘Claudia Marques and Roberto Pupo are both professional, courteous, and excellent trade lawyers.’
ABINT (Brazilian Association of the Nonwovens and Technical Industries)
CNI (Brazil’s National Confederation of Industry)
Omron Healthcare Brasil
Giti Tire Group
Tigre Materiais e Soluções para Construção
- Advised on several trade policy studies for the CNI, such as: new barriers and trends in international trade; an assessment of Brazil’s foreign trade chamber (CAMEX); and Chinese programmes on aluminium support.
- Advised ABINT on an anti-dumping investigation on Brazilian imports of phthalic anhydride originating in Russia and Israel.
- Assisted Petrom on an anti-dumping investigation on Brazilian imports of phthalic anhydride originating in Russia and Israel and a corresponding public interest inquiry.
Mundie e Advogados fields an experienced team with over 20 years' experience in trade remedies investigations, including Brazilian anti-dumping cases and sunset reviews. As well as domestic clients, the practice has a good track record representing foreign importers from key trading partners, including China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Indonesia, South Africa and Mexico. In 2020, the firm was kept busy assisting in negotiations concerning tax exemptions to medical products in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Key partners include Carol Monteiro de Carvalho and Andrea Weiss Balassiano, who have both established strong reputations in this area.
Carol Monteiro de Carvalho; Andréa Weiss Balassiano
‘The team with which I worked was very technical, mastered the issues and was very committed to the deadlines to be met.’
‘I recommend Andrea Weiss Balassiano. She demonstrated a gift for the subject, dedication and commitment.’
Sasol Limited Company (South Africa)
Jinan Shengquan Group Share Holding
Jinan Shengquan Double Surplus Ceramic Filter
Ranpak Holdings Corp
Adidas do Brasil
- Assisted petrochemicals company Sasol in the sunset review of the anti-dumping investigation against the imports of polypropylene (PP) resin from South Africa, India and South Korea.
- Represented SQ Group, a Chinese manufacturer of ceramic filters, in the sunset review related to Brazilian imports of refractory ceramic filters (foam filters) from China, which resulted in a 72% reduction in import duties.
- Advised Brazilian rubber producer Nitriflex in a public interest assessment procedure (PIA) initiated by ABIARB and Sindibor aiming to terminate the anti-dumping duty applied against the Brazilian imports of NBR rubber from France and South Korea.
Veirano Advogados has a focused team led by highly experienced trade specialist Ana Teresa Caetano, who has an impressive track record in contentious and non-contentious WTO issues. This expertise extends across a range of industries, including auto parts, chemicals and petrochemicals, paper, electronics and tyre manufacturing. 2020 saw the firm handling several high-profile trade remedy cases and sunset reviews, including representing interested parties in proceedings linked to PP and PVC, phenol, float glass and tyres. Caetano is ably supported by key associates Marina Martes, Lucas Biasetton and Mariana Boralli.
Ana Teresa Caetano
‘High quality in the work delivered, clarity in the arguments, allied to punctuality and compliance with the agreed deadline.’
‘Ana Caetano – High seniority with deep technical knowledge of international trade law, being widely recognized even abroad. For her international exposure, Ana Caetano manages to add value and prepare bold legal strategies, which I have particularly never noticed in other professionals in the market. Marina Martes – Qualified professional, with quick return and attentive to the customer’s needs.’
‘The practical and academic experience of Veirano Advogados lawyers is an important differential. The leadership in the area of trade defense is very secure and every detail of the related administrative process is worked out and carried out carefully and completely.’
‘Dr. Ana Caetano is a firm leader in the area of international trade/trade defense and her experience and relationship and engagement with important stakeholders in this area are essential for the good result usually presented by Veirano. Lucas Biasetton is a very helpful and agile component of the team, with excellent quality of resources and information coordination with clients and interface with the authorities. Mariana Boralli is another very helpful and agile member of the team.’
BMW do Brasil
Confederação Nacional da Indústria
Industrial Levorin / Neotec Indústria de Comércio e Pneus Limitada
Jari Celulose, Papel e Embalagens
Rhodia Poliamida e Especialidades
Swarovski Crystal Components
- Represented Braskem in the sunset reviews and public interest proceedings regarding AD duties applied on imports of polypropylene resins (PP) from India, Korea and South Africa and AD duties applied on imports of polyvinylchloride suspension (PVC-S) from China and Korea.
- On behalf of CNI, prepared a position paper evaluating the status of the WTO Appellate Body (AB) and Dispute Settlement Mechanism and recommended alternatives.
- Represented Rhodia in the sunset review and public interest proceeding regarding AD duties applied on imports of phenol from the US and the EU.
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law
Carla Junqueira & Associadas Trade Law has impressive credentials for trade remedies work across several key sectors, including paper, petrochemicals, plastic and steel. Its work spans advice to domestic and foreign clients on trade policy and tariff changes, WTO matters and trade-related litigation. Name partner Carla Junqueira divides her time between Brazil and Argentina, reflecting the firm's ability to take a broader view of Mercosur-related matters. Ana Luiza Sanches is based permanently in São Paulo, and has a good track record in anti-dumping investigations and public interest proceedings.
Carla Junqueira; Ana Luiza Sanches
‘Ana Luisa is always excellent in discussions. She meets deadlines and is always willing to help clients. Carla Junqueira has a lot of experience for the work.’
‘Up-to-date work, well formulated and delivered within the stipulated deadline.’
Procter & Gamble Brasil
China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Light Industrial Products and Arts-Crafts (CCCLA)
China Writing Instrument Association (CWIA)
China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (CCPIT)
Ball Aerosol Packaging Brasil
- Advised AkzoNobel on a review of anti-dumping duties applied on imports of butyl acrylate from the US into Brazil.
- Represented importer Procter & Gamble in an administrative proceeding concerning a bilateral safeguard investigation on imports of nonwovens from Israel into Brazil.
- Represented Brazilian chicken producer Korin Agropecuária on a customs pre-litigation case regarding re-importation of soybeans from Brazil to Argentina.
Fialho Salles Advogados
Fialho Salles Advogados has a particular focus on trade remedy investigations and WTO matters, and is also well versed in related issues such as customs. The team is especially popular with major industry bodies, and provides strategic and advocacy support to the CNI on domestic regulations and international trade negotiations, including Mercosur issues and public interest cases. Belo Horizonte-based partner Leonardo Canabrava is especially strong on international trade and antitrust issues. In São Paulo, practice head Lucas Spadano handles contentious and non-contentious trade, competition and IP issues.
Leonardo Canabrava; Lucas Spadano
ABRINQ – Associação Brasileira dos Fabricantes de Brinquedos
BYD Energy do Brasil
Wyda Indústria de Embalagens
Innovative Seed Solutions
Sunew Filmes Fotovoltaicos Impressos
Centro de Inovações CSEM Brasil
Confederação Nacional da Indústria – CNI (the National Industry Confederation in Brazil)
Clamper Indústria e Comércio
- Represented RIMA Industrial in an anti-dumping sunset review concerning imports of metallic magnesium from China.
- Advised Wyda Indústria de Embalagens on an anti-dumping investigation of Chinese imports of flat-rolled aluminium.
- Represented the Brazilian Association of Toy Manufacturers (ABRINQ) in public consultation procedures concerning a proposal to lower the import tariff applied to toys.
TozziniFreire Advogados provides strategic international trade advice to its long-term clients, which include several key players in the auto parts, tyre and biotechnology industries, among others. Particular areas of expertise include supply chain issues and trade compliance. The firm was involved in several high-profile matters in 2020, including representing Greiner Bio-One in a sunset review of anti-dumping duties on the import of vacuum blood collecting tubes, which was of particular significance in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Well-regarded practice head Vera Kanas has a good track record in WTO matters, having previously worked in the WTO's legal affairs department. Marcelo Calliari is also active in this space.
‘Strong professionalism, expertise and cohesion.’
‘Vera Kanas is a true business partner during the most complex negotiations.’
‘They are differentiated in terms of strategy, proactivity, global vision of issues and the way to provide the best answer for the client. Performance above average and with excellent results. I always recommend.’
Sumitomo Rubber Industries
- Representing Greiner Bio-One as petitioner in the sunset review of the anti-dumping duties on the imports of vacuum blood collecting tubes from several origins, and in the public interest proceeding related to the possible use of this product in fighting the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Representing Sumitomo Rubber Industries and Sumitomo Rubber do Brasil as exporter and related importer in the sunset review of the anti-dumping duties on the imports of tyres for buses and trucks from Japan and other origins.
- Representing Valeo in the anti-dumping investigation on the import of aluminium laminates.