Government relations in Brazil
Mattos Engelberg Advogados
Mattos Engelberg Advogados' Caio Leonardo Bessa Rodrigues is a pioneer in the field of government relations in Brazil. The firm's Brasília office assists clients in the gamut of work in this space, from monitoring government and legislative developments and representing clients before government agencies (including defence of their interests during decision-making processes), to crisis management. Armando de Queiroz Monteiro Bisneto stands out for his experience representing industry associations. Specialist associate Renata Montenegro is also a key member of the team.
Procter and Gamble
Benq / Casio
MJ Alves & Burle Advogados e Consultores
Established in 2017, MJ Alves & Burle Advogados e Consultores specialises in advocacy in Brazil and acts for clients before Congress, the higher courts and numerous governmental bodies. In this space, domestic and multinational companies across myriad sectors - as well as industry associations - turn to the firm for representation in sensitive matters. Government relations specialist Fernanda Burle has substantial international experience. She works alongside Leandro Modesto Coimbra and name partner Marcos Joaquim Gonçalves Alves, who has an impressive public law and tax litigation background and has developed a strong reputation for government relations work in recent years.
The government relations practice at TozziniFreire Advogados represents domestic and international companies and non-profit entities, assisting them with the monitoring of legislative and regulatory proposals, interaction with public officials, and participation in parliamentary investigations and public hearings. Cláudio Coelho de Souza Timm heads the practice, which also benefits from the input of the full-service firm's compliance and tax experts.
Hospitals AC Camargo, Benificência Portuguesa, Sirio Libanes and Moinhos de Vento
- Assisting a client in negotiations with the Brazilian Ministry of Health regarding the waiving of penalties initially imposed upon it.
- Ongoing representation of a trade association in all government relations’ matters since 2016.
- Assisting a client with its government relations campaign to amend a Federal District law that deals with the regularisation of public areas occupied by non-profit associations.
Cescon, Barrieu, Flesch & Barreto Advogados has an impressive government relations consultancy practice, advising clients on a broad range of public policies and legislative proceedings. Promoted to partner in February 2019, the highly regarded Luciano Inácio de Souza leads the practice; he also covers compliance, white-collar matters and investigations. Associate João Paulo Dornelas often has an active role in the department's cases.
‘The team is very knowledgeable, ethical and hard-working.‘
‘Luciano Inácio de Souza is a very dedicated lawyer, with great expertise in lobbying and public relations.‘
World Wildlife Fund – WWF
Proteste (Consumer Organization)
Instituto Identidades do Brasil
- Advises Proteste on several legislative proceedings, especially the discussion regarding the establishment of a new Consumer Parliamentary Front (Frente Parlamentar do Consumidor) consisting of a group of representatives and senators defending consumer rights and policies.
- Monitoring specific bills at the Brazilian Congress for the global NGO World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on a pro-bono basis.
Cesnik, Quintino & Salinas Advogados
Cesnik, Quintino & Salinas Advogados occupies a niche in the market; the specialist media and entertainment firm represents major industry players in government affairs and public relations matters before Congress and government bodies. Roberto Drago Pelosi Jucá and associate Luizio Felipe Gomes Rocha are the names to note.
The Walt Disney Company
Associação Brasileira das Desenvolvedoras de Jogos Eletrônicos (Abragames – Brazilian Association of Electronic Game Developers)
Investimage Asset Management
- Planned and advised on the first institutional trip of the new Walt Disney Company’s country manager in Brazil to meet executive and legislative officials.
- Represented a client in Congress to approve a bill concerning the extension of tax benefits in the audio-visual area.
Perman Advogados Associados
Government relations and public law specialist firm Perman Advogados Associados works with companies across the technology, education, infrastructure, aviation, energy and agribusiness sectors. Notably, Bruno Perman is the president of government relations institute, IRelGov. Perman co-heads the practice alongside Andrea Hoffmann Formiga, who assists clients in their strategies before various government agencies, particularly CADE (the Brazilian Competition Authority) and trade defence authorities. Thaís Strozzi Carvalho is another key contact.