A.S & Associates is a market leader in dispute resolution, with a particular emphasis placed on litigation and alternative dispute resolution. The team is especially known for acting for domestic and international clients within the energy, natural resources, manufacturing and financial services sectors. The team is currently focused on litigation relating to corporate, industrial, commercial, taxation and intellectual property matters. The team is led by Sayeed Abdullah Al Mamun Khan, with support from Farhana Khan and Supreme Court advocate Dewan Faisal.
Dispute resolution in Bangladesh
A.S & Associates
Sayeed Abdullah Al Mamun Khan
Other key lawyers:
Farhana Khan; Dewan Faisal
Durable Plastic Limited
Md. Sirajul Islam
Godrej Household Products (Bangladesh) Pvt. Limited
Sylvan Technologies Limited
Mr. Abul Basher and Mrs. Nasrun Nessa
Zulekha Akhter and others
Mr. Akter Hossain
Mrs. Khairunnesa, Omor Farq and others
National Credit and Commerce Bank Limited
Consumer Testing Laboratories Ltd
- Successfully represented majority shareholders of Basher Spinning Mills Ltd. in buying out the shares worth USD 20.1 million of minority shareholders, through Court process.
- Successfully represented Zulekha Akhter and others by filing a judicial review for absorption in their respective positions as permanent employee.
- Successfully represented a multidisciplinary engineering firm, Sylvan Technologies Limited, in recovering its long due payment from one of its distributors, arising out of a contractual arrangement regarding supply of 400 KVA substation.
Mahbub & Company
Mahbub & Company‘s highly experienced disputes practice is strong for acting on white collar crime matters, as well as judicial reviews. Increasingly, the team also handles dispute relating to employment and labour law, with a significant uptick in the amount of construction disputes as well. The firm’s debt recovery and insolvency litigation practice is also strong, acting both for banks and financially distressed companies. The team is led by industry veteran A. M. Mahbub Uddin and Saqeb Mahbub.
A M Mahbub Uddin; Saqeb Mahbub
Premier Cement Mills Ltd.
Metro Homes Limited
Sena Kalyan Sangstha
MF Consumers Limited
Mutual Trust Bank
DEPA Interiors LLC
SOCAR-AQS Limited Liability Company
Lal Teer Seed Limited
Marks Builders Limited
Muslim Aid UK
Singapore Telecommunications Limited
Kunlun Industrial Co Limited
London Guest House
Hotel Sky Line
Hotel White Rose
Bhulua Royal City
Honda Bangladesh Ltd.
Peninsual Steel Limited
Samsung S-1 Corporation
Ming Global Limited
Jubilant FoodWorks Ltd
- Represented an Indian food service company on a dispute arising out of a JV agreement
- Represented a Bangladeshi airline company in litigation against creditors
- Advised a Korean construction company on a dispute arising out of an airport expansion project
TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES
The dispute resolution team at TANJIB ALAM & ASSOCIATES is regularly instructed on high profile court litigation. In addition, the team has also been involved in numerous arbitrations, particularly within the energy sector. Its broad portfolio of work also includes patent cases, admiralty matters and company law disputes. The group represents a range of national and international companies within the oil and gas, mining and financial services sectors. Key members of the team are Tanjib-ul Alam, M. Saquibuzzaman and Kazi Ershadul Alam.
Tanjib-ul Alam; M Saquibuzzaman; Kazi Ershadul Alam
Robi Axiata Limited
Chittagong Port Authority
Sena Hotel Developments Limited
STS Holings Limited
The Coca-cola Inc.
International Beverage Bangladesh Limited
- Acted for Grameenphone Limited in a case against GP Employees Union wherein they declared themselves as a Collective Bargaining Agent (CBA).
- Acted for LafargeHolcim Bangladesh challenging the decision of the Ministry of Industries of Bangladesh to stop production of aggregates produced by the company.
- Acted for Desh Energy Limited in a claim against the Bangladesh Energy Regulatory Commission before the Honourable High Court regarding a 100 Mega Watt power plant.
The Law Counsel
The Law Counsel‘s litigation and dispute resolution team has a proven expertise in constitutional and administrative law issues, having been involved in a number of landmark matters. Other areas of expertise for the firm include insurance law, labour law and public law. Mediation is a growing specialism of the team, particularly in relation to property disputes. Key contacts on the team are senior partner Abdur Razzaq, employment specialist Ehsan Abdullah Siddiq and Imran Siddiq, who has a strong intellectual property practice.
Abdur Razzaq; Ehsan Siddiq; Imran Siddiq
‘Imran Siddiq and his team at The Law Counsel have made themselves my top pick for IP enforcement in Bangladesh. They impress at every turn with their knowledge of local law, as well as the unique legal and business climate of the country. Most recently, Siddiq and his team, particularly Chowdhury Ishrak Ahmed Siddiky, secured a licensing deal with our firm, where previous efforts by others had fallen short.’
Islami Bank Bangladesh Ltd.
Saudi Arabian Airlines Ltd.
RELX India Pvt. Ltd.
Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Ltd.
Delta Shipping Lines Ltd.
Dabur India Ltd.
PCCW Vuclip Singapore (Pte). Ltd.
Reel Tuz Kimya
Private client (victim of medical negligence)
Hellenic Garments Pvt. Ltd.
The Daily Sangram
Members of the Supreme Court Bar Association
Employees of the National Board of Revenue
- Represented Titas Gas Transmission and Distribution Ltd., the country’s leading natural gas distributor, before the Supreme Court in a dispute with its subscribers.
- Represented members of the Supreme Court Bar Association in a public interest litigation challenging the use of the Pegasus spyware in Bangladesh to intercept and monitor mobile phone communications of citizens.
Doulah & Doulah
The dispute resolution team at Doulah & Doulah is highly experienced in handling contentious investment, banking and construction matters for clients with the support of a strong transactional team. Recent years have seen an expansion of the firm’s debt recovery capabilities and its work in lease finance and project finance. Also of note is the firm’s expertise in the handling of foreign judgments and awards, having enforced many English judgments and arbitral awards in local courts. The work is led by A B M Shamsud Doulah with the support of Amina Khatoon and a number of skilled associates such as Mucktadir Rahman.
A.B.M. Shamsud Doulah
Other key lawyers:
China Harbour Engineering Company
Edinburgh Wollen Mills
Industrial & Commercial Bank of China
Bank of Nova Scotia
Air Charter Service
Maxim Garment Accessories
- Acting for Aercape in enforcing a debt claim against an air operator and twelve guarantors.
- Acting for General Electric Capital Aviation Service in an arbitration at LCIA in connection to recovery of dues from a local operator.
- Enforcing a legal claim for China Harbour against an Economic Zone Developer due to non-payment of dues under EPC Contract .
H & H Company
H & H Company‘s dispute resolution team is particularly active in the area of contentious intellectual property matters, for example, those involving trade mark infringements. The team’s broader workload includes all forms of commercial litigation, as well as a number of high-profile aviation and banking matters. The firm is also involved in litigations surrounding the recovery of money and enforcement of contractual rights for a number of domestic and international corporations. Syed Emran Hossain leads the team alongside M A Taher and a number of capable associates.
Syed Emran Hossain; M A Taher
Emami Bangladesh Limited
Malaysian Airlines Berhad
Gulf Airways BSC
Islamic Bank Bangladesh Limited
Halcrow International Limited
Samsung India Limited
Carrier Corporation 0
Sheraton International IP, LLC
Intercontinental Great Brands LLC
BASF Grameen Limited
- Successfully defended BASF Bangladesh Limited in a money claim at the preliminary stage of the suit filed by a former agent.
- Obtained injunction for Hiful Fuzul Shamaj Kallayn Sangstha and stopped encashment of huge amount of Bank Guarantees for its clients.
- Obtained restraining order from the court so that a delinquent cannot disrupt ongoing business of Emami Limited.
Sattar&Co.‘s dispute resolution and litigation team is particularly strong in the fields od commercial disputes and corporate litigation. In particular, the firm is well known for defending banks and other financial institutions within Bangladesh in front of the High Courts in relation to admiralty matters, company law and customs matters. The team is led by barrister Sameer Sattar, who previously worked at a number of major law firms in London with a practice focused around international arbitration and investment treaty arbitration. Other important members of the team are associates Mahbub Hassan and Khademul Islam Choyon.
‘The team is well knowledgeable and cooperative to manage this type of matter.’
‘They are capable to handle any kind of legal issues .’
‘Sattar & Co has a good grip on how to conduct and participate in the dispute resolution process. They have a good record of that. They provide their feedback and assistance within their commitment and try to mitigate every obstacle. They are updated and always keep an eye on the latest laws, ordinances etc. They have full support both technological and manual. They can take workload and can deliver the same within the time period.’
‘They are very keen to hear the client. They will hear you out in full and try to put themselves in a position for their client and think of solving pathways. they are very responsive and never make delays in making responses. They make their client understand the content of laws and procedural requirements.’
‘They listen to the facts and try to solve it in the form of law. They have a very good team to contact us from time to time to get appropriate information/ documentation. Finally, they are making files enriched with fact & truth which is very important for justice.’
‘As a team leader, Sameer Sattar personally oversees the case from day 1 till its complete procedure. He has a very strong personality & knowledge to make the things rationally acceptable.’
Sheltech Technology Limited
Proxima Beta Pte. Limited
The City Bank Limited
Dhaka Bank Limited
Bank Asia Limited
Kalyar Packaging Limited
Bangladesh TechnoSity Limited
CHB Building Technology Limited
IDLC Finance Limited
Mutual Trust Bank Limited
One Bank Limited
United Commercial Bank Limited
- Representing Sheltech Technology in a commercial arbitration against a Government-owned power distribution company. The dispute surrounds a supply agreement between the parties and invoking the force majeure clause for the non-performance of the contract due to COVID-19, whereby the client successfully obtained court to restrain the other party from encashing the performance guarantee.
- Representing Proxima Beta Pte. Ltd. in a high-profile dispute before the High Court Division of the Supreme Court of Bangladesh banning the popular mobile game PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (PUBG Mobile).
- Representing the majority shareholders in a complex company-law matter before the Companies Court.