Altay Mustafayev Law & Tax's team assists with cross-border loan facilities, restructuring and insolvency, cross-border debt capital markets transactions, cross-border M&A and tax advisory. It is frequently sought out by international firms to assist with local issues of multijurisdictional deals. The team is led by partner Altay Mustafayev.
Leading Firms in Azerbaijan
Altay Mustafayev Law & Tax
‘The team brings an excellent combination of international and local knowledge to solve complex legal problems.’
‘I would highly recommend them as knowledgeable of the local market.‘
‘Altay Mustafayev has deep local knowledge of the market and how all players interact. He has significant local experience and also significant experience working on international transactions.‘
- Advised BP on a commercial lease matter with Pasha Development.
- Advised Credit Suisse on a loan facility matter with ADY OJSC (Azerbaijan Railways)
- Advised Siemens on its exit from Oil and Gas Proserve LLC, a joint venture with SOCAR and Nobel Oil.
BM Morrison Partners LLC
BM Morrison Partners LLC has a focus on banking and finance and energy, and has seen an uptick in instructions relating to renewables. Clients include Gazprombank Joint Stock-Company, Zurich Insurance Company and Paprec. The team is headed by senior partner Farhad Mirzayev along with Aykhan Asadov and Delara Israfilova. Associate Leyla Safarova provides additional support.
Aykhan Asadov; Delara Israfilova; Farhad Mirzayev
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is forthcoming and eager to satisfy the client’s needs.’
‘I have enjoyed working with Aykhan Asadov.’
Eli Lilly and Company
Bolt Services AZ LLC
Agence Francaise de Developpement
Gazprombank Joint Stock-Company
Zurich Insurance Company Ltd
Shearman & Sterling (London) LLP for Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company PJSC – Masdar
- Advised Paprec on a high-profile international acquisition transaction involving a subsidiary in Azerbaijan.
- Defending Bolt Services against claim a in tort by a passenger.
- Assisting Gazprombank Joint Stock-Company with an update to a documentation package governed by English law due to refinancing by issuing corporate bonds governed by Azerbaijani law.
Dentons‘ team is able to draw on the firm’s global network of office to connect to experts in other practices and jurisdictions. The group has a particular area of expertise when it comes to the energy sector, and is currently shifting from a focus on oil and gas to assisting with projects relating to renewable energy, particularly wind power in Azerbaijan. James Hogan and Ulvia Zeynalova-Bockin are the key names.
James Hogan; Ulvia Zeynalova-Bockin
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was a pivotal key adviser in Azerbaijan’
‘Ulvia Zeynalova-Bockin is a fantastic lawyer from Azerbaijan. I have recommended several family offices and real estate funds in Singapore to use Ulvia’s services in Central Asia.’
‘The team is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Response is quick and written in a clear and easy manner to understand.’
‘Sabina Orujova is extremely helpful and knowledgeable with regards to Azeri law.’
Landesbank Baden Wurttemberg
Emirates NBD Bank PJSC
Azerbaijan International Mining Company
A pool of international creditors (including, among others, Asian Development Bank, European Investment Bank, International Finance Corp, and responsAbility Investments AG)
- Represented a state-owned company in a transaction for its transfer into the management of a private Turkish company.
- Represented Asian Development Bank, European Investment Bank, International Finance Corp, and responsAbility Investments AG (among others) as creditors to AccessBank in a successful tenor extension in relation to recapitalisation measures (contingency capital).
- Advised Azerbaijan International Mining Company on a production sharing agreement by the government in respect to a gold-mining project in Azerbaijan and on the procedures for its full implementation.
MGB Law Offices has been actively involved in drafting auction rules in the renewables sector, in order for the Azerbaijani government to attract foreign investments. The firm is also active in corporate, M&A, debt recovery and bankruptcy, mediation and commercial disputes and intellectual property matters. Ismail Askerov is the key name.
- Advised IFC on financing a major solar power project in Azerbaijan.
- Represented EBRD and DEG as Azerbaijani counsel in respect of a re-financing of a leading supermarket chain owner in Azerbaijan.
- Advised the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development and the consortium of international consultants on a newly enacted law on renewables energy and regulatory aspects of the development of the legal framework for the regulation of production of electrical energy from renewable sources and rules for conduction of auctions for granting licenses for the renewable energy projects.
Omni Law Firm
Omni Law Firm has experience across the board. In recent work, the team is advising the Ministry of Energy of Azerbaijan on its two first-ever renewable energy projects. Managing partner Roman Alloyarov and Ismail Zargarli are the key names.
Other key lawyers:
Ismail Zargarli; Afag Abdullayeva
‘Very efficient and professional’
SOCAR (State Oil Company of the Azerbaijan Republic)
Ministry of Energy of the Republic of Azerbaijan
MOL – Hungarian Oil and Gas PLC
Raiffeisen Bank International AG
Black Sea Trade and Development Bank
AZAL (Azerbaijan Airlines CJSC)
- Represented MOL in relation to the acquisition of Chevron’s interests in Azeri-Chirpaq-Gunashli Production Sharing Agreement and BTC Pipeline.
- Assisted the Ministry of Energy in the development of the first ever 240 MW wind farm project, involving ACWA Power as sponsor.
- Advised the Ministry of Energy in relation to the first ever 200 MW solar photovoltaic (PV) project, involving Masdar as sponsor.
BHM Law Firm LLC has a full-service offering with a particular focus on corporate and M&A. Areas of work include incorporation, tax advice, restructuring and insolvency. Its transactional experiences range from deal structuring, tax consulting, antimonopoly issues, employment advice and regulatory issues. The team is led by partners Mehman Sultanov, Gulnar Gurbanova and Javid Aliyev.
Mehman Sultanov; Gulnar Gurbanova; Javid Aliyev
‘BHM’s team consists of highly qualified and professional lawyers that are skilled and possess in-depth knowledge in a wide range of areas.’
‘They have always held successful contract negotiations with our foreign clients and achieved advantageous terms for our company.’
‘BHM Law Firm is one of the most reputable companies in the Azerbaijani market.’
‘They provide pragmatic, business-minded legal advice to the best of their ability.‘
‘They think outside the box and their problem-solving skills exceed expectations.’
‘The company has a good team of professionals. High level of diverse professional in all fields. The billing system is perfect. Collaboration is good.‘
‘There were various complex situations when Mr Sultanov and Ms Gurbanova were able to provide effective and long-term solutions.’
‘High level of diverse professionals in all fields.’
Baku City Circuit Operations Company (BCCOC)/Formula1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
Baku Maintenance Service (Baki Abadliq Xidmeti)
Park Chinar MTK
MCCANN Azerbaijan LLC
Havas Azerbaijan LLC
Qurman Plyus MMC
Mega Sighorta (Insurance) LLC
- Assisted Baku City Circuit Operations Company (BCCOC)/Formula1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix as official all-rounded legal services provider of the F1 for the delivery of the inaugural Formula 1 Games since 2015.
- Assisted Azerfon LLC with regard to the interconnection agreements signed with another market leading mobile operator.
- Assisted Azerenerji OJSC with respect to the major project on the construction of “Janub Power Plant” by 780 MW.
Capital Legal Services LLC advises across a wide range of industries, including oil and gas, banking and finance, capital markets, real estate and construction, manufacturing, transportation, chemicals and pharmaceuticals. The team is headed by managing partner Azer Aliyev, who is supported by senior associate Elnur Eyvazov. The group was further strengthened by a number of arrivals at a junior level.
Other key lawyers:
Deloitte & Touche LLC frequently works with its international colleagues on matters and handles matters relating to banking and finance, immigration services, employment, commercial law, regulatory compliance, M&A, intellectual property law and digital law, among other areas. The practice is led by Nuran Kerimov, Amina Bakhshiyeva and Bahar Kavuzova.
Nuran Kerimov; Amina Bakhshiyeva; Bahar Kavuzova
Hilton Hotel Baku
Fairmont Hotel Baku
Marriott Hotel Baku
Azerbaijan Industrial Corporation
Azerbaijan Investment Holding
Yapi Kredi Bank Azerbaijan OJSC
OJSC International Bank of Azerbaijan
Kapital Bank OJSC
Selective Marine Services
Beaver Management Services
SOCAR Gas Operating Company
- Assisted TechnipFMC with assessment of oilfield operations from perspective of licensing requirements, advised the company on statutory requirements for formalization of relevant license and permits.
- Advised Pasha Bank OJSC on the AML/CFT system of the bank for its compliance with the requirements of the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan and best international practices.
- Assisted Carlsberg with drafting and reviewing commercial contracts with vendors, suppliers and distributors, as well as assisting with a corporate restructuring process, as well as other commercial transactions.
VLM and Partners focuses on corporate and M&A, commercial law, criminal, disputes, banking, project finance, public private partnerships, energy, tax and employment matters. The team is able to draw on the presence of lawyers who speak English, Russian, Turkish, German, French Italian and Azerbaijani to assist clients in cross-border matters. The group is led by Vugar Mammadov.
Other key lawyers:
Vusala Babayeva-Nazirli; Ismayil Aliyev
‘Vugar Mammadov is a great lawyer and a very fine, sharp thinker.‘
‘Very professional and collaborative, on-time solutions.‘
- Assisted a client with matters related to commerce, criminal investigation and prosecution, finance and tax is provided.
- Advised a client on the termination of labour relations, ensured the consultation and the research on labour legislation.
- Advised a client on the project of establishment of a joint venture company with the participation of large companies from two countries.
Adrem Attorneys is a boutique firm with a focus on international arbitration and dispute resolution. Its international arbitration work has extended to work as a mediator for major international organisations. The group is also active in M&A and financial law. Managing partner Ruslan Mirzayev was personally approached by the Council of Europe to provide assistance regarding alternative dispute resolution, while Kifayat Nasirli has advised a major financial services company on due diligence and a share acquisition.
Other key lawyers:
International Consulting Expertise and Expertise Advisors
Council of Europe
- Advised Millikart on contract negotiations and share acquisition.
- Advised International Consulting Expertise and Expertise Advisors on developing international arbitration strategy and legislation in Azerbaijan under a project funded by the European Union.
Allied Legal Partners Law Firm
Allied Legal Partners Law Firm advises key clients in the oil and gas industries, in addition to work in the hospitality and the paper industries. The group has recently expanded its practice with the addition of dispute resolution and intellectual property services. Managing partner Samir Hadjiyev is the key name.
Other key lawyers:
‘They respond very quickly to requests, for clarification.’
‘The answers to our questions were clear and understandable, with reference to the legislation and local practice.‘
‘Team is very prompt in replies and provide multiple solutions.‘
‘Good service at competitive prices.‘
‘Samir Hajiyev – provides excellent solutions.‘
JSC Call Center
De Novo Advisors
De Novo Advisors is a relatively new firm which provides business consultancy services in addition to legal advice. Bringing experience from the private and public sectors, the firm represents clients from a wide range of sectors. Clients include Baku Hotel Company; Azer Maya Istehsal, the only yeast producer in Azerbaijan; JJ Dis Ticaret AS, a major investment company with operations in Azerbaijan and Europe; and A2Z Advisors, a leading IT company in Azerbaijan. The firm is led by Kamal Mammadzada and Nargiz Kazimova.
Kamal Mammadzada; Nargiz Kazimova
To The Moon Mobile
Baku Hotel Company
Azer Maya Istehsal
JJ Dis Ticaret
Advanced Industrial Solutions
Hotel Investments LLC
- Advising Hotel Investments LLC on the acquisition of the major mixed real estate complex in Baku, Azerbaijan, including restructuring of ownership in offshore and local companies.
- Advising Advanced Industrial Solutions on pre-arbitration proceedings in a multimillion dispute with the construction works contractor.
- Advising Flex Mobile the on sale of shares in a communication services company, including structuring of acquisition and preparation of the full set of sale and purchase related documents.
EKVITA is active in matters relating to oil and gas, commercial, litigation, arbitration and other fields of law practices. It acts for a mix of clients in the public and private sectors. The team is led by Ilgar Mehti and Sharaf Asgarova.
Ilgar Mehti; Sharaf Asgarova
‘Well-coordinated work of professionals, quickly and efficiently adapted to the conditions of quarantine.’
‘Capable, highly effective, client-oriented’
‘Ekvita law firm has outstanding technical competence and upholds this reputation. They provide excellent service throughout different practices of the firm. The team is extremely knowledgeable and is eager to resolve any issues.’
Herbert Smith Freehills
Ministry of Labor and Social Protection of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Caspian Marine Services
Fircroft Engineering Services (Northern) Limited
Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Azerbaijan
Nizami Ganjavi International Center
- Represented CAME SPA’s interests before the courts of all three instances of the Republic of Azerbaijan regarding commercial dispute arising from a debt obligation.
- Assisted development of new strategy, mission, vision and fully restructuring of the entire institutional setup and operation of the Ministry of Culture.
- Advised KONTI-RUS on all matters in the sphere of Intellectual Property and defending its interests before the courts of all three instances in complex IP disputes (more than 20 trademarks in dispute).
Ernst & Young Holdings (CIS) B.V., Branch Office in the Republic
Ernst & Young Holdings (CIS) B.V., Branch Office in the Republic works with the wider firm's multinational network providing legal advice across all major business areas. The team is headed by partners Arzu Hajiyeva and Hidayat Azimov.
Arzu Hajiyeva; Hidayat Azimov
‘The team is very helpful, easy to communicate with, and has very deep local and international law knowledge which makes very comfortable to work with them. People are very friendly.’
‘The individuals are very proactive, and always try to introduce new solutions for raised questions. When most of the competitors try to follow standard procedures and conservative rules, people at EY always try to innovate, analyze and introduce better ways for solving problems.’
GRATA International's team assists with lease transactions, loan agreements, multijurisdictional M&A and registration of trademarks, among other areas of law. Clients include domestic and international companies. Ummi Jalilova is the key name to note.
‘Ummi Jalilova – very attentive, knowledgeable and supportive and make sure to keep you up to date on case matters.’
‘Collaboration during pandemic was at the highest level taking into account how much care and attention to projects’ details GRATA demonstrated when working remotely. Adherence to the toughest deadlines set by our clients and us didn’t suffer at all.‘
‘What we like about this firm is that, big project or small, high service fee or not, global client or local -they always approach the clients with the same level of care.‘
Posco DAEWOO Ltd
Caspian IT Service Company
Azeri Adventure Motorcycle Tours
MasterCard Europe, SA
Abdi Ibrahim Ilac San. Tic. AS
Zetas AGT LLC
Zemin Teknoloji Uluslararası AŞ
KPMG in Azerbaijan
KPMG in Azerbaijan is active across a wide range of practice areas, including corporate and M&A, dispute resolution, real estate and tax advisory, among others. Head of tax and legal Farid Isayev is supported by senior legal manager Seymur Niftaliyev and assistant manager Shahlar Mammadov.
Other key lawyers:
Seymur Niftaliyev; Shahlar Mammadov
LUKOIL Europe Holdings B.V.
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy Eolica S.L.
Bank of Baku OJSC
Asian Development Bank
Azerbaijan Investment Holding
ASCO Holdings Limited
Karabakh Operating Company
Azerbaijan Investment Holding
- Assisted Azerbaijan Investment Holding with legal diagnostics of several state-owned companies for the purposes of checking the compliance of their activities with the applicable legislation.
- Advised LUKOIL Europe Holdings B.V. on a share transfer transaction by way of capital reduction.
- Conducted legal due diligence of a local distributor company for Asian Development Bank in order to understand its financial situation.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Legal works across areas including anti-bribery law, banking, finance and securities, corporate, compliance and commercial law, unfair competition, employment law, environmental safety, healthcare and oil and gas. Its clients include a number of banks and major oil and gas, drilling and maritime companies. Director Elchin Mammadov and manager Leyla Sadikhova are the names to note.
Other key lawyers:
- Advised an Azerbaijani oil and gas operating company on installation and construction of various facilities (living quarters, slug catcher and engineering software) on a water platform.
Turan Legal and Tax Services LLC
Turan Legal and Tax Services LLC works in the fields of pharmaceuticals, the tobacco industry, education services and oil and gas. The staff is 60% women, covering junior and senior positions, and the firm is focused on building relationships with startups and tech companies. The managing partner is Zalbey Aghadadashov.
Zalbey Aghadadashov; Andrey Garifulin; Agil Mirzayev; Hamid Ahmadov
We are working with Turan Legal and Tax Services for three years already. During this time, we saw how Turan Legal and Tax Services grow and improve. Thanks to their team, we faced no problems in scaling our business and provided an excellent legal consultancy in the of need. Moreover, they represented us before Courts in major cases where we were able to minimize the damages. They helped to create a contract management system and document controlling system at Buta. We are the major pharmacy chain in Azerbaijan, and face numerous legal issues on a daily basis. With Turan Legal and Tax Services, we are certain that none of those overwhelming tasks will be left undone and completed in the best way possible.
‘Their punctuality and sensitive approach helps us to overcome challenges we faced during the COVID pandemic which completely stressed out our operations. Many times they were on the clock non-stop to ensure that operations continue during difficult times.’
‘Hassle-free billing, technology in means of communication and implementation, collaboration on a daily basis and diversity of staff left us with a warm and cosy feeling after each and every approach of Turan. The high-tech equipment of Turan was one of the very important aspects we could not predict. They were able to proceed with modern technologies for the prompt response to addressed issues.’
‘We are more than delighted to outline the exceptional services of Ahmadov Hamid, Shirinov Sanan, Aghadadashov Zalbey, Mirzayev Agil and Alizamanli Anar.’
‘Zalbey Aghadadashov along with much experienced professionals of the team, Anar Alizamanli, Maarifa Pashayeva and Hamid Ahmadov and others provided quality legal services. Zalbey has proven to be an excellent manager of his team and was able to provide us with a first-class experience in fulfillment of every task given.’
‘Having experience in various areas of law and working with professionals from various fields, Zalbey diligently worked with for our matters requiring legal assistance and under his supervision the team of Turan Legal and Tax Services, in face of Maarifa, Anar and Hamid left us nothing but delighted enjoyment of our continues cooperation on daily basis.
‘Their exceptional knowledge in corporate law and corporate governance made our operations much faster and more efficient. Compared to other firms in Azerbaijan I worked with, Turan LTS is standing out by their client-specific approach, flexible in force majeure instances by adopting tech tools. In Azerbaijan, most of the firms, including law firms accept only bank transfers, however, at Turan LTS we were able to proceed with our payment hassle-free and without a visit to the bank.’
‘Zalbey Aghadadashov is one of the well-known lawyers in corporate management. He has brought together a great team of lawyers, specialized in almost every aspect of the law. We had searched for a start-up lawyer in Azerbaijan for quite a while, and Mr Anar Alizamanli and Mr Hamid Ahmadov fit our needs perfectly. They were highly knowledgeable of tech-specific details such as programming, structuring payment operations for start-ups, and e-commerce platforms. We had close contact with them in every step of the process.’
‘Since the very beginning of our cooperation with Turan Legal and Tax LLC, we had no doubt about the satisfaction of the services to be provided to us. We believe that diversity is the key to success and Turan Legal and Tax Services LLC is one of the very few companies that shared our beliefs at the time. Uniting a very diverse team with an exceptional educational and professional background, Turan Legal and Tax Services still provided us with an exceptional service related to legal matters of the educational and corporate field.’
Landau School CJSC
Fokus Optika LLC
Leznik & Co
MSDIS Holding LLC
Labor Group Limbak LLC
- Advised Landau School CJSC in the establishment of edu-tech company and completed comprehensive due diligence on operational legal risks.
- Advised on obtaining certificates of conformity for local and foreign cigarette brands (for 85 products).
BDO Azerbaijan LLC
BDO Azerbaijan LLC is part of an international network of firms. The firm has a particular focus on oil and gas, IT and telecoms, retail, logistics, marine, construction, manufacturing and technology parks. The practice is led by Yunis Salayev and Ruhulla Rahimov.
Yunis Salayev; Ruhulla Rahimov
‘My question was related to labour law/case advise. I have received answers to all my questions in a detailed, timely manner, provided with full explanations and clarifications even for minor questions.’
‘Proactive, propose different solutions, are attentive to needs and specific situations of the client.’
‘The team has good communication skills.’
‘Mr Yunis Salaev is a model professional who has a sharp understanding of client needs.’
‘BDO is great when is comes to its people and collaboration with the clients.’
‘Cost efficiency compared with their competition. We usually ask for competitive bids for majority of services and we found BDO always beating their competition on this front. so all in all, great value for money.’
‘Customer service is at the forefront. Transparency and responsibility of actions.’
- Reviewed and updated the Public Offer and User Agreement for DIGITAL CLASSIFIEDS OÜ in accordance with local legislation and international good practice.
- Assisted Bayer Pharma AG with the liquidation process including managing bank accounts of the representative office.
- Assisted Kentech Global Services B.V. with several manager appointments, including carrying out the state registration of the change of the directors of the branch with the relevant registration authority.
Caspian Legal Center
Caspian Legal Center provides tax and legal consultancy services. Its clients, which include the Four Seasons Hotel, Tetra Pak and Synergy, largely work in the fields of energy, oil and gas, IT, hospitality and construction. Managing partner Farid Nabili works on corporate and tax cases, assisted by legal manager Orkhan Beydiyev. Pari Gasimli has been promoted to senior associate, assisting with corporate and company law.
Other key lawyers:
Orkhan Beydiyev; Pari Gasimli
‘Transparency, good communication and suitable prices are the main reasons why we work with this firm.‘
‘They are quite responsible and can work with deadlines.‘
Four Seasons Hotel (International Hotel Chain)
British American Tobacco
Synergy Resourcing International
dm-drogerie markt GmbH & Co. KG
Gilan Holding LLC
HCL Technologies Ltd.
- Assisted Shanghai Electric Group with a detailed report regarding regulations on alternative power in Azerbaijan.
- Advised a retail company on a purchase agreement for large, mechanical spare parts.
- Advised a client on regulations for a planned online lottery business.
NOTEM LAW FIRM
NOTEM LAW FIRM provides services in various areas of business law, and its clients include local and international individuals and legal entities. The lawyers have experience across areas including corporate, migration, contract, IP, PPP transactions, investment and finance law, energy law, customs regulations, trade law and alternative dispute resolution. The head of the team is managing partner Anna Dreyzina.
‘We worked with the company and the service we received was very professional.‘
‘The individuals who deliver services are very qualified and educated. They know very well the country’s legal rules specifically for the entrepreneurs and commercial organizations. I can mention Anna Dreyzina, who helps us a lot, providing all the necessary legal assistance. She is very professional with outstanding knowledge of the legal processes in the country.‘
‘NOTEM team has the ability to timely and effectively respond to customer queries. They have a unique feature of continuous collaboration with clients.‘
SMART MARINE LLC
ZETA PLAY CJSC
1st FITNESS LLC
ТЕCНОСЕRV AC LLC
CONIM CERT LLC
AZERBAIJAN WOMEN ALLIANCE LLC
ZETA BEAUTY LLC
ZT TRADING LLC
HP OFFSHORE LLC
ROYAL CERT LLC
- Advised HOLBORN CJSC on the services of deregistration of shares, deletion of shares in the state register.
- Assisted HP OFFSHORE LLC with opening a bank account and making changes to registration information.
- Assisted MR JEFF LABS S.L. with a report on legal requirements in the Republic of Azerbaijan for each of the company’s verticals (Beauty, Fit, Relax and Laundry services) in Azerbaijan.
Remells Law Firm
Remells Law Firm has experience of assisting multinational and local clients with different aspects of their businesses in and outside Azerbaijan. It has particular expertise in a wide range of corporate and financial transactions. The firm has also developed its own software with elements of AI for contract drafting. Rashid Aliyev and Sabit Abdullayev are the key names.
Rashid Aliyev; Sabit Abdullayev
‘Partners of the firm are directly involved in the provision of legal services. So we as a client benefit directly from their experience.’
‘We have worked with Rashid Aliyev and Sabit Abdullayev. We have seen reasonable legal fees, quick turnaround and detailed review of all matters entrusted to the firm.’
‘Fast service and professional approach.’
Karabakh Operating Company
Port of Baku
Laduree International SA
SRC (Sixt Franchisee)
Team Industrial Services
- Advised Veyseloglu on a franchising agreement with a major international company.
- Advised the Port of Baku on matters relating to the supply of equipment for the construction of a fertiliser terminal from a European manufacturer.
- Advised Karabakh Operating Company (KOC) on drafting and negotiating agreements for procurement, engineering works, fabrication, transportation and installation of offshore facilities in Karabakh gas field in the Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea.