TMT in Austria
With a 'long proven track record and outstanding reputation' in TMT, Dorda Rechtsanwalte GmbH's 'unique' Vienna-based practice continues to stand out in the field. Work comprises advising banks on IT projects involving outsourcing and the creation of online and retail banking activities. The team also works for insurance companies and IT-related start-ups before and after they enter the market. Led by the exceptional Axel Anderl, the team provides full services in the IT field, with a client base consisting of leading international and national players. Other key names include Nino Tlapak Bernhard Heinzl, Heinrich Kühnert, Bernhard Müller and Elisabeth König.
‘Detailed expertise in IT-solutions and disputes.‘
‘Good quality, swift responses. They understand the need of the client.‘
‘Dorda has a long proven track record and outstanding reputation when it comes to legal challenges in telecommunication, technology and media.‘
‘Axel Anderl and his team are experts in data privacy and have a great understanding about the needs of an IT company. The know how and handling all our demands were outstanding.‘
‘Axel Anderl’s team demonstrates extensive legal experience, provides great industry knowledge and is always a pleasure to deal with.‘
‘In my opinion DORDA is unique in its open, collaborative work approach with clients and in its approach to support legal solutions that are practical for us as a client.‘
‘The responding time is in general very quick. Normally, you get the answer directly in the call. Furthermore, the law firm has a very broad business understanding what is crucial to find business-oriented solutions.‘
‘Axel Anderl is a top lawyer, nice person to work with. He understands what is relevant for the client.‘
‘Nino Tlapak stands out due to his high readiness of mind – grasping the core elements and focus areas in a short period of time despite complex and highly technical project related topics.‘
‘Axel Anderl, Nino Tlapak and Bernhard Heinzl absolutely stand out from the mass of lawyers in the mentioned IP and IT related areas with their responsiveness.‘
101 Coding and Design
A. Menarini Pharma GmbH
Austrian Reporting Services GmbH (AuRep)
BAWAG P.S.K. Bank für Abeit und Wirtschaft und Österreichische Postsparkasse AG
Bausparkasse Wüstenrot AG
Digital Hero GmbH
Do & Co AG
Erste Bank Group
Flughafen Wien AG /Austro Control
Global Second Opinion
Hausbetreuung Attensam GmbH
Hugo Boss AG
IXOLIT New Media Development GmbH
Jochen Schweizer GmbH
Kommunalkredit Austria AG
LeasePlan Österreich Fuhrparkmanagement GmbH
Louis Vuitton Malletier
M7 Group SA
Moet Hennessy Selection
OTTO Immobilien GmbH
PE Digital GmbH
Puck immobilien app service GmbH
sIT Solutions AT Spardat GmbH
Styria Media Group
Trodat GmbH / Trotec Laser GmbH
TTTech Computertechnik AG
VIG – Vienna Insurance Group / twinformatics GmbH (VIG Group’s IT service provider subsidiary)
UNIQA Group 3 No
WEIN & CO Handelsgesellschaft m.b.H.
Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG
WT Wien Ticket GmbH
- Assisting Wüstenrot with establishing a greenfield outsourcing project to set up the respective infrastructure for online and retail banking activities.
- Advising Erste Bank Group on various IT- and outsourcing related matters.
- Advising the Vienna Insurance Group on various IT projects.
The TMT practice at Cerha Hempel is renowned for its expertise and strong client base in telecoms, technology and e-commerce. Over recent years, the team has developed a particularly strong reputation for providing data protection advice. Led by practice heads Hans Kristoferitsch and Georg Konrad, the team works across the CEE region for retailer Spar, advising on all IT-related issues. The practice also has a strong list of longstanding clients in the sector, including Samsung.
Consortium D-TOLL (Atlantia S.p.A., Kapsch TrafficCom AG, Autostrade Tec S.p.A.) / Autostrade Tech S.p.A.
Flughafen Wien AG
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE)
Samsung Electronics Austria GmbH
SES Spar European Shopping Centers GMBH
SPAR Business Services GmbH
SPAR Österreichische Warenhandels-AG
Wien ENERGIE GmbH
- Advising food retailer Spar on all IT and TMT matters.
- Assisting HP Inc. as well as its Austrian subsidiary HP Austria with all areas of IT law.
- Acting for Asfinag on all TMT matters.
Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG's TMT practice combines IP, media law, e-business, data protection, competition, regulatory, corporate and dispute resolution work. The 'young and dynamic' team has particular expertise in IT outsourcing, cloud computing, e-commerce, online entertainment and media, data protection/information security and telecoms. The team is led by Georg Kresbach and the 'experienced and pragmatic' Roland Marko. Recent highlights include representing Facebook in civil and criminal proceedings in Austria as well as at the CJEU. The team also represented YouTube in a liability dispute concerning the monetisation of videos on its platform. Senior associates Paulina Pomorski and consultant Martin Tauber provide additional support.
‘Young and dynamic, knowledgeable and easy to work with.‘
‘Very professional and very helpful.‘
‘Very dedicated lawyers with great technical knowledge.‘
‘The team provides quick and pragmatic advice and is capable of dealing with highly complex IT and IP matters and is highly recommended for both national and international projects.‘
‘They are very good communicators.‘
‘Roland Marko is very experienced and pragmatic. Easy to communicate with.‘
- Representing Facebook in civil and criminal proceedings in Austria as well as at the CJEU alleging the infringement of copyright and personality rights of the former leader of the Austrian Green Party, Dr. Eva Glawischnig-Piesczek
- Representing YouTube in a liability dispute concerning the monetisation of videos on its platform.
- Advising Ralph Lauren on the implementation of free Wi-Fi services in its company stores.
The practice at Baker McKenzie advises global and multinational clients on every aspect of TMT, with particular expertise in computer hard- and software, social media, search engines, and cloud computing, as well as data protection issues. Lukas Feiler leads the team, having previously worked as a software developer and system administrator at IT companies in Vienna, he has in-depth technical knowledge. Senior associate Martina Grama provides additional support, particularly on IP-related matters.
STANDARD Verlagsgesellschaft m.b.H.
- Acting for a leading national newspaper in a landmark case related to data protection, which considered the issue of consent and the “significant detriment” test.
Eisenberger & Herzog is the longstanding local counsel to a number of leading multinational corporations in the TMT sector, including Microsoft and Samsung. Led by Andreas Zellhofer, the team has particular expertise in IT matters but also has a focus on media mandates and licensing agreements. A recent highlight saw the team acting as lead counsel for Samsung on a strategic investment in Austrian high-tech company TTTech for autonomous driving.
‘Eisenberfer & Herzog is one of the few law firms in Austria that really do technology and telecoms work.‘
- Act for Microsoft Corporation, Microsoft Ireland, and Microsoft Austria on various high-profile matters, including representing the client in a landmark case before an Austrian court.
- Acting as lead counsel for Samsung on a strategic investment in the Austrian high-tech company TTTech for autonomous driving.
- Assisted Supertreat with the sale of its mobile app business to Israeli gaming company Playtika.
Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Knyrim Trieb Rechtsanwälte OG
Lansky, Ganzger + Partner (LGP)
Lansky, Ganzger + Partner (LGP)'s TMT practice has a 'broad technical base', and particular expertise in media law, representing a client base spanning Austrian media companies and publishers, internet providers and software companies, and personalities from the entertainment industry. Led by co-heads Gerald Ganzger and Katharina Raabe-Stuppnig, the team is strong in copyright matters, with other work also including international publication agreements.
‘At LGP, we particularly value their broad expertise and fast response times.‘
‘LGP has a broad technical base, can be reached quickly, is a top court speaker and very experienced in dealing with the media.‘
VGN Medien Holding GmbH (“Verlagsgruppe News”)
Radio Energy (member of the French NRJ Group)
Bohmann Druck und Verlag Gmbh
Cup Solutions GmbH
Lowe GGK Werbeagentur
Gruner + Jahr GmbH & Co KG (media house)
Verlag Holzhausen GmbH
- Advising the online platform and the print branch of Austria’s largest magazine publisher VGN Medien Holding (“Verlagsgruppe News”) on media law, unfair competition law, labour law and copyright law as well as representation in numerous legal proceedings.
- Assisting the Austrian subsidiary of a French radio, broadcaster, Radio Energy, with broadcasting law relating to tender offer management for the procurement of radio frequencies as well as with contract drafting and review, advertising law, copyright law and unfair competition law.
- Advising one of Austria’s most famous advertising agencies and member of the Lowe network (Lowe GGK Werbeagentur GmbH) on all questions relating to copyright law which arise in its day-to-day activities.
The TMT practice at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte)'s Vienna office advises clients on e-commerce, outsourcing and cloud services matters, while also handling data protection and fintech work, with additional expertise in cross-border matters. The team recently advised OMV on its global outsourcing of IT operations and telecoms services to international providers. Thomas Kulnigg, who has experience of cross-border and cross- practice projects, leads the team. Wolfgang Tichy, Günther Leissler and Michael Woller are other key names.
‘Schoenherr delivers excellent work.‘
‘Even though Schoenherr is one of the largest firms on the market, the service always feels personal and when our legal needs shifts to a different specialisation you don’t feel like you are simply handed over to someone else.‘
‘Excellent knowledge of current market developments and market standards; very strong technical and negotiation skills.‘
‘Günther Leissler has an excellent understanding of data privacy issues, Wolfgang Tichy is perfect in e-commerce matters.‘
‘Wolfgang Tichy and Serap Aydin really understand the business needs.‘
‘Wolfgang Tichy is extremely capable.‘
‘Wolfgang Tichy is very hands on, always solution oriented and has a wealth of experience.‘
Raiffeisenlandesbank Wien Niederösterreich
FWU Life Insurance Lux
Novomatic Group of Companies
PCS Professional Clinical Software
Ulbrich of Austria
Vienna Insurance Group
Österreichische Post AG
Salesianer Miettex GmbH
Greiner Bio One
- Advised OMV on its global outsourcing of IT operations and telecoms services to international providers.
- Assisting Uniqa with a change to its finance systems (including its IT basis) for the adoption of the new IFRS 9 and 17 accounting standards
- Acting for Salesianer on the group-wide cross-border implementation of a new ERP system.
Binder Grösswang has 'an excellent understanding of the law and technology' and a long tradition in telecoms, advising major Austrian telecoms providers across a variety of legal aspects. The team is very active in e-commerce and domain name law, as well as regularly conducting IP and IT due diligence and assisting with regulatory issues and IT projects. Led by the 'experienced' and 'responsive' Ivo Rungg, the team also has expertise in internet-related IP and IT issues, including big data, machine-to-machine communication and internet service provider services.
‘Excellent understanding of the law and technology.‘
‘Fast responses, very knowledgeable, inform about side effects so that client gets the full picture, taking care with common sense and business attitude.‘
‘Ivo Rungg and Dr. Hellmut Buchroithner are experienced, responsive and provide hands on legal advice.‘
‘Ivo Rungg is very experienced in IT and software contracts and outsourcing projects.‘
‘Philipp Spring is very experienced in data protection law, assists numerous clients in GDPR-compliance matters.‘
‘Dr. Barbist is extremely knowledgeable, and as a client you feel very safe and well taken care of.‘
‘I regularly work with Dr. Ivo Rungg and Dr. Hellmut Buchroithner. Their legal advice is of high quality and practical.‘
Springer Maschinenfabrik GmbH
Tiroler Glashütte GmbH (Riedel)
Evonik Industries AG
- Advising Tiroler Glashütte GmbH (Riedel) on the launch of a newly designed online sale and distribution system including the set-up of respective cooperation agreements with distributors using the client’s platforms for sales activities.
- Assisted Xerox Austria with an outsourcing agreement, where services were provided to an Austrian IT-company.
- Advising on the implementation of an artificial intelligence-based platform that provides health-related data and information to doctors and patients.
The 'extremely professional' TMT team at CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH receives instructions from prestigious global clients concerning major, business critical and transformation projects. The team, led by Johannes Juranek, works on transactions in the media and telecoms sector, as well as advising on IT matters and regulatory mandates in the media space. A recent work highlight for the team was representing Sky TV in two regulatory disputes against the Austrian public broadcasting station ORF regarding the transmission of certain sports events. Gabriela Staber has a focus on TV, new media and sport.
‘Everyone we worked with answered within the period stipulated, gave a competent, comprehensible analysis and offered further assistance. The team is extremely professional.‘
‘The atmosphere of the law firm is very pleasant and welcoming, staff is friendly and courteous.‘
‘Dr Johannes Juranek has a very high level of expertise and offers pinpoint solutions.‘
‘Johannes Juranek is easy to reach and if not available he suggests a new near-term appointment.‘
‘Johannes Juranek is very professional and experienced, not only in Austrian law. He’s well connected internationally.‘
CNT Management Consulting GmbH
Johnson & Johnson
EU Networks Limited
Humanomed Consult GmbH
- Advising Comcast on media regulation matters.
- Assisting an international insurance company with reviewing software licensing and implementation contracts with regards to warranty claims.
- Representing Sky in two regulatory disputes against the Austrian public broadcasting station ORF regarding the transmission of certain sports events in ORF’s programme ORF Sport Plus.
The TMT team at GEISTWERT 'is very well known on the Austrian IT and IP legal market'. The team has a strong focus on IP, IT and data protection. Juliane Messner and Max Mosing 'have a clear understanding of the interfaces between law, business, especially project work, and technology'. The 'very hands-on and practical' Constantin Kletzer and the 'go-to' Alexander Schnider are also noted alongside the experienced Rainer Schultes.
‘Geistwert has an outstanding reputation within my environment, namely the Austrian tech start-up scene. Geistwert is here often named as the firm to go to.‘
‘The team’s unique strengths and key capabilities are: very efficient, very pragmatic, very solution-driven and they love technology which is key to understanding our business.‘
‘Geistwert is a great firm – it is a very down to earth and very un-Austrian a legal market that can be very conservative. In that sense Geistwert is the exception as it has a super international outlook.‘
‘Fast, hands-on advice in complex situations.‘
‘Juliane is a brilliant brain and she is always very focused on the clients needs. I am very impressed that she is able to deliver custom tailored structures/advice. She has a deep industry knowledge and she always finds a good solution.‘
‘Juliane Messner and Max Mosing are not only legal rock stars in their core field of IT and IP, but they have a clear understanding of the interfaces between law, business, especially project work, and technology.‘
‘Alexander Schnider is the go-to lawyer in Austria for interactive entertainment, he knows the business as such and our business goals like no other.‘
‘We love Constantin Kletzer – he really is very hands-on and practical, bringing the solutions we need.‘
Austrian National Library – Österreichische Nationalbibliothe
aws – start-up-promotial-society of the Austrian Ministry of Commerce
IQVIA (formerly IMS-Health)
LTS – South Tyrol Association of Tourism Organisations
Wien Tourismus – Vienna Tourist Board
Austrian Society of Court Experts – Hauptverband der Sachverständige
South Tyrolian Hotel Association – HGV
- Assisted Payback (cashback service provider) with its market entry, in particular with regard to e-commerce and data protection law.
- Assisting state-owned organisations with implementing GDPR.
- Advised a chain of clinical laboratories on a strategy for the cross-border implementation of the GDPR.
Höhne, In der Maur & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG
Höhne, In der Maur & Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG carries out work both for media companies, such as creating a legal framework for selling personalised tickets for a client's event, and for individuals, including representing a politician against a defamatory statement/slander on a social media platform. The practice, led by Thomas Höhne, Georg Streit and Markus Dörfler, particularly focuses on online media and e-commerce. Data protection law is 'excellently handled', including one matter for an individual against a well-known social media site.
‘The areas that are important to us, such as association law, copyright law and data protection law, are among the focal points of the law firm and are excellently handled. Thomas Höhne provided us with the best possible support for very complex problems relating to association law. Maximilian Kralik and Alexander Koukal in the area of copyright law and Markus Dörfler in data protection matters are also to be mentioned very positively.’
‘Outstanding specific know-how and strong commitment to the client, in particular the lawyer Mag Georg Streit.’
edition a GmbH
Ulrich Seidl Film- und Fernsehproduktionsgesellschaft
Prisma Film- und Fernsehproduktion GmbH
Golden Girls Fimproduktion & Filmservices GmbH
- Assisted a concert promoter with legal questions arising from personalised tickets.
- Represented a politician who was falsely accused by an online medium of covering up a criminal offence committed by asylum seekers.
- Acted for a client in taking legal action against a well-known online social media network.
andréewitch & partner rechtsanwalte GmbH
Dr Norbert Wiesinger, Law Offices
Dr Norbert Wiesinger, Law Offices focuses on telecoms work, with clients including Verizon and Amiga. The firm recently advised ORS on compensation for the loss of frequency allocations. Practice head Norbert Wiesinger has 'excellent, in-depth knowledge', with particular expertise in regulatory developments; he led the team in successfully representing a client in regulatory proceedings against T-Mobile.
‘This is a small, specialised firm. I observe a high level of expertise in TMT. Pricing is usually very moderate considering the expertise and quality of work. I appreciate Dr Wiesinger’s expertise, service orientation and fair pricing.’
‘Dr Wiesinger is fast to the point without long explanations. He can grasp very complex issues and can formulate to us in simple words the correct direction we need to take. Very great to work with and very professional. Very precise and can listen carefully to the task at hand. Dr Wiesinger is trustworthy and and very helpful. He can adjust complex law to the perfect needed part and can even train the person in legal aspects.’
‘Dr Wiesinger has excellent, in-depth knowledge, both about the market conditions of public infrastructure and telecommunications and the legal requirements and necessities of these sectors. He delivers perfectly usable advice and strategic insight in legal procedures.’
‘Great individual advice, short response times and profound knowledge of usually complex fields of regulation and law. We have been working with Norbert Wiesinger for at least 15 years. Excellent personal advice, knowledgeable and flexible.’
‘Dr Wiesinger has exceptional expertise in the field of telecommunications and is our lawyer of choice when it comes to matters relating to telecom law and regulations.’
ORS Österreichische Rundfunksender GmbH & Co KG
ORS comm GmbH & Co KG
Amiga Telekom GmbH
Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG
atms Telefon & Marketing GmbH
Inmarsat Global/Ventures Ltd
Schindler Fahrtreppen International GmbH
Kwak Telecom Ltd
- Represented ORS Österreichische Rundfunksender GmbH & Co in proceedings against the regulatory authority to recover losses caused by the transfer of the 700MHz frequency allocations to mobile providers.
- Represented atms Telefon &Marketing GmbH in regulatory proceedings aimed at lowering SMS termination rates.
- Acted for Verizon in regulatory proceedings and supported several technical projects, including Telematics and Verizon Connect.