Public procurement in Austria
A popular choice for contracting authorities, CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz Rechtsanwälte GmbH has notable expertise in the construction, healthcare, TMT, transport and waste management sectors. Department head Bernt Elsner and his team are frequently involved in cross-border projects and collaborate with the firm's local procurement specialists throughout central, eastern and southern Europe. Elsner also represents clients in procurement litigation and has extensive knowledge of compliance issues in tender procedures. Thomas Hamerl stands out for his skill in infrastructure and energy projects, with additional industry experience in telecoms, transport and retail. Associate Ruth Bittner provides key support in relation to public-private partnerships, the award of concessions and international relations.
Strabag AG, Salini Impregilo S.p.A.
Federal Ministry for Constitution, Reforms, Deregulation and Justice
WESTbahn Management GmbH
Leyrer + Graf
Sanifair / Tank & Rast
ELL European Locomotive Leasing
- Advising Strabag AG, Salini Impregilo S.p.A. on the tender for the largest section (lot) of the Brenner Base Tunnel (AP 218).
- Acting for nögig on phase two of the development and construction of a public glass fibre network in Lower Austria.
- Assisting the Federal Ministry for Constitution, Reforms, Deregulation and Justice with a procurement procedure related to electronically supervised house arrest.
Schramm Öhler Rechtsanwälte is a popular choice for contracting authorities, including federal provinces, municipalities, public corporations, the European Commission and the federal government. The department, which operates out of St. Pölten in addition to the firm's headquarters in Vienna, has notable expertise representing clients in challenges brought by auditors and before the courts. Johannes Schramm is an expert in contract law as well as PPP; Matthias Öhler is a business law expert and also acts as a civil law mediator; Georg Zellhofer is a key name for IT procurement; and Gregor Stickler shines in matters with a construction or facility management aspect.
‘Schramm Öhler impress with an excellent combination of legal expertise and market knowledge. Their expertise is distinctive within their field.’
‘They live up to their high quality standards every day, therefore they can guarantee a highly profound and very extensive counsel.’
‘The entire team is extremely competent and has in-depth knowledge of the legal area.’
‘Schramm Öhler provide unique knowledge in Austrian and European public tendering law.’
‘Schramm Öhler Rechtsanwälte went above and beyond to provide us with the support and documents we needed to facilitate our procurement in an effective manner.’
‘Gregor Stickler and his colleagues, especially Leo Haslhofer, form a great and reliable team. Not only are they aware of every procurement strategy and every detail of procurement law, but also their experience in general and in particular in the construction and in the facility management sector is outstanding.’
‘Gregor Stickler is a brilliant lawyer, extremely smart and quick-witted.’
‘Christian Gruber is a masterful procurement lawyer who shows precision and provides us with tailor-made solutions within tight deadlines.’
‘Andreas Gföhler is deeply knowledgeable about public procurement law. We value his availability, immediacy and accuracy.’
‘In IT-related procurements we mainly work with Georg Zellhofer who knows the industry and is absolutely top in responsiveness and quality.’
Climate and Energy Fund
Pension Insurance Institution
Vienna Chamber of Labour
University of Vienna
Vienna Social Fund
Vienna Hospital Association
WT Wien Ticket GmbH
Wiener Linien GmbH & Co KG
Museum of the city of Vienna
Wiener Stadthalle Betriebs- und Veranstaltungs-gesellschaft m.b.H.
Medical University of Graz
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Burgenland Hospital Association
CTR – Carinthian Tech Research AG
Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection
Federal Ministry of Internal Affairs
Provincial Government of Burgenland
University of Applied Sciences of Vienna
University of Applied Sciences of Wiener Neustadt
University of Applied Sciences of Wieselburg
Hospital Authority of Lower Austria
Niederösterreichische Verkehrsorganisations ges.m.b.H. (NÖVOG)
Ecoplus. The Business Agency of Lower Austria
Gesundheit Österreich GmbH
ADA – Austrian Development Agency
Austrian Workers’ Compensation Board for insurance against occupational accidents
Federal province of Lower Austria
- Advised the Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Consumer Protection on a procurement procedure concerning the implementation of supervisory audit services.
- Acted for the WT Wien Ticket GmbH on the procurement procedure regarding new ticketing software for its whole ticketing system.
- Advised the University of Applied Sciences Wiener Neustadt on two procurement procedures related to the delivery, implementation and regular maintenance/support of media and IT technology.
The sizeable team at Wolf Theiss Rechtsanwalte GmbH & CoKG lays claim to an impressive degree of specialisation. Three partners head the practice: the renowned Manfred Essletzbichler applies his international expertise to life science, telecoms, infrastructure, railway and energy work; Sebastian Oberzaucher advises primarily on project planning and implementation in connection with complex construction, supply and service tenders; and Silvia Fessl focuses on complex public services contracts, architectural competitions and general planning procedures. Counsel Philipp Marboe is noted for his familiarity with the public transport sector, often applying his knowledge to PPP railway projects.
‘They are able to identify the various obstacles and potential problems when it comes to procurement procedures. Not only does that require a vast knowledge of the concerning law, but also a deep understanding of the business and technical background of our company.’
‘What makes Wolf Theiss so unique is its outstanding professionalism and understanding of all a project’s deeper issues.’
‘Excellent team with high expertise and professionalism; provides highly qualified advice to contracting authorities as well as bidders and contractors.’
‘Wolf Theiss is the most modern law firm in the market. It is always the first to inform us of relevant legal trends and changes and the necessary adaptions. We also appreciate the organisation of the firm, which allows us to receive comprehensive advice on any legal issue (not limited to one specific area of law) with one single point of contact.’
‘Manfred Essletzbichler has decades of experience in the field of procurement law and knows the major Austrian players in the public as well as in the private sector by heart.’
‘Manfred Essletzbichler is a highly renowned expert in public procurement law.’
‘Sebastian Oberzaucher is one of the best public procurement lawyers in Austria. He has an extraordinarily open mind and is always open to new ways of thinking outside the box.’
‘We happily trust Sebastian Oberzaucher with our procurement issues.’
‘Philipp Marboe has outstanding knowledge of the public transport sector and the various issues that can arise in projects. He pays great attention to detail, yet never loses sight of the overall project, which is an absolute must when it comes to large projects.’
‘Sylvia Feßl is a very competent and understanding legal counsel. She is sensitive to the specifications of the business activities, so the cooperation is excellent.’
Amt der Niederösterreichischen Landesregierung (Government of Lower Austria)
Austrian Development Agency
Flughafen Wien Aktiengesellschaft (Vienna International Airport)
KHM – Museumsverband Kunsthistorisches Museum
ÖSTU-Stettin Hoch- und Tiefbau Gesellschaft m.b.H.
Vereinigte Bühnen Wien
Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region VOR
Wiener Krankenanstaltenverbund (Vienna Hospital Association)
Wiener Wohnen Kundenservice
Wiener Zeitung GmbH (and subsidiaries)
- Acting for Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region (VOR) GmbH on the reorganisation of the Austrian public transport sector as well as on several innovative projects within this sector.
- Advising Wiener Linien on the expansion and adaptation of a tram depot and the construction of a new urban area.
- Advising Wiener Wohnen Kundenservice GmbH on a tender for various ICT services and other projects.
DSC Doralt Seist Csoklich Rechtsanwälte GmbH is primarily instructed by contracting authorities to organise and handle public procurement procedures. The structuring and implementation of award procedures as well as the drafting of tender documents and contracts are the practice's strong suits. Oliver Sturm and his team guide navigate bidding parties through award processes and contract negotiations. The group is also well equipped to represent clients in public procurement review procedures. Key support is provided by associate Dominik Zimm, who advises both contracting authorities and tenderers.
‘Oliver Sturm has good understanding of the technical content in tenders.’
Municipal Office (Marktgemeinde Frauental an der Laßnitz)
Vienna Public Transport (WIENER LINIEN GmbH & Co KG)
Austrian National Bank (Österreichische Nationalbank)
Austrian Financial Market Authority (Finanzmarktaufsicht (FMA))
Traffic Organisation Company of the Federal State of Lower Austria (Niederösterreichische Verkehrsorganisationsgesellschaft mbH)
Municipal Office (Gemeinde Meiseldorf)
Rosenbauer Österreich Gesellschaft m.b.H.
City of Vienna – Housing Company (Stadt Wien – Wiener Wohnen Kundenservice GmbH)
Federal State of Lower Austria (Land Niederösterreich)
voestalpine Metal Forming GmbH (voestalpine Krems Finaltechnik GmbH)
Federal State of Salzburg (Land Salzburg)
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (Universität für Bodenkultur Wien)
University of Vienna (Universität Wien)
CASH MANAGEMENT AUSTRIA logistics for cash management and transport coordination LLC (GELDSERVICE AUSTRIA Logistik für Wertgestionierung und Transportkoordination G.m.b.H.)
Wilhelm Geiger Gesellschaft m.b.H., Umweltschutz Ost GmbH and Huber Umweltmanagement GmbH
Hochtief Group (construction company)
The Public Health Insurance Fund of Lower Austria (Niederösterreichische Gebietskrankenkasse)
Vienna Association of Hospitals (Wiener Krankenanstaltenverbund)
B. Braun Austria Ges.m.b.H.
Ministry of Finance
Vienna Business Agency (Wirtschaftsagentur Wien. Ein Fonds der Stadt Wien.)
Environment Agency Austria (Umweltbundesamt GmbH)
- Advising the Vienna Public Transport Company (“Wiener Linien GmbH& Co KG”) on the procurement procedures related to the construction of parts of the new subway lines U2 and U5.
- Assisted with the revision of the procurement documentation of the Traffic Organisation Company of the Federal State of Lower Austria to comply with the latest amendment to the Austria Public Procurement Act.
- Advised the Municipality of Meiseldorf on the procurement procedure regarding the refurbishing of multiple buildings in the city centre.
The public procurement group at Eisenberger & Herzog acts for public contracting entities and bidders, particularly on industrial infrastructure, complex services, energy and utilities. The team's service offering is enhanced by its collaboration with the firm's real estate practice, for instance in matters concerning PPP projects. Department co-head Ulrike Sehrschön is involved in tender proceedings, acting for contracting authorities and bidders in regulated sectors including infrastructure, energy and healthcare. Fellow co-head Wilhelm Offenbeck is based in Graz and regularly assists publicly owned awarding authorities with large-scale procurements.
‘Ulrike Sehrschön shows a strong focus on the clients individual demands and specific industry knowledge.’
‘Ulrike Sehrschön offers a very broad and hands on experience in public procurement matters as well as pragmatic, individual solutions in complex and very specific causes.’
‘Stefanie Vonbank is always very committed and extraordinarily competent in implementation.’
Holding Graz – Kommunale Dienstleistungen GmbH
Energie Graz GmbH & Co KG
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- Advised Wirtschaftskammer Steiermark on procurement issues and tendering for the procurement of advertising services.
- Assisted Energie Graz GmbH & Co KG with procurement matters and prepared a tender for the procurement of construction contracts for annual pipe-laying contracts.
- Acted for Holding Graz – Kommunale Dienstleistungen GmbH on public procurement matters and tendering for the general planning for the extension of the sewage plant treatment.
Fellner Wratzfeld & Partners advises hospital and healthcare sector clients as well as architects and civil engineering companies on real estate developments and infrastructure projects relating to public procurement. Rudolf Christian Pekar is able to draw on his experience in real estate and planning law to assist with public procurement matters, including assisting with real estate development transactions and public private partnership projects. Michael Hecht has environmental and construction law expertise.
Province of Lower Austria
Wirtschaftsagentur Wien. Ein Fonds der Stadt Wien
- Advising the Bundesimmobiliengesellschaft m.b.H. on the structure of one of the first Innovation Partnership procurement proceedings in Austria.
- Advising the province of Lower Austria on the procurement of numerous service contracts in connection with strategic environmental audit procedures.
- Acted for the Vienna Business Agency on the complex procurement of several multi-annual framework agreements.
KWR Karasek Wietrzyk Rechtsanwälte GmbH offers a wide array of public procurement services ranging from legal supervision of tendering procedures, grant counselling and tender preparations to legal support of public-private partnerships, appeal filing and representation before procurement review bodies. The department, which is led by Katharina Trettnak-Hahnl, has expertise in construction, health- and planning-related matters, frequently advising at the intersection of public procurement and building law. Mats Schröder combines his public procurement practice with knowledge of public and private business law.
‘Very responsive to our requests and highly pragmatic in finding solutions to our problems.’
ÖBAG— Österreichische Beteiligungs AG
Versicherungsanstalt öffentlich Bediensteter (BVA)
Wiener Netze GmbH
Energy IT Service GmbH (ARGE EDA)
Österreichische Galerie Belvedere
Amt der Burgenländischen Landesregierung
Wien 3420 Aspern Development AG
- Handled an award procedure concerning the general renovation of the Volkstheater in Vienna for Volkstheater GmbH.
- Advised on an award procedure concerning legal consultancy services for structural considerations with regard to financial institutions for Österreichische Beteiligungs AG.
- Prepared the tender documents and checked/evaluated the tenders concerning numerous different tender procedures for Wiener Netze GmbH.
Schiefer Rechtsanwälte GmbH
The public procurement department at Schiefer Rechtsanwälte GmbH operates from across five sites in Austria. Splitting his time between St. Pölten and Vienna, Martin Schiefer advises on building construction and civil engineering tenders. Vienna-based Gabriele Kondert advises on matters related to rescue services, civil protection and vehicle procurement. Ralf Blaha in Klagenfurt handles tenders relating to the energy and telecoms sectors. Salzburg-based Alexandra Mensdorff-Pouilly assists with tender proceedings concerning supply contracts, marketing and PR. Katja Schreibmayer in Graz advises on tenders relating to healthcare and transport services.
Österreichische Agentur für Ernährungssicherheit (AGES)
Provincial Government of Lower Austria
Wiener Wohnen Kundenservice
Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region (VOR)
Hauptverband der Österreichischen Sozialversicherungsträger
IT-Services der Sozialversicherung GmbH
Carinthian Provincial Government
Energie-Control Austria für die Regulierung der Elektrizitäts- und Erdgaswirtschaft (E-Control)
Burgenländische Krankenanstalten-Ges.m.b.H. (KRAGES)
Kärntner Landeskrankenanstalten-Betriebsgesellschaft (KABEG)
Austrian Power Grid AG OÖ Verkehrsverbund-Organisations GmbH Nfg. & Co KG (OÖVV)
Provincial Government of Styria
Flughafen Graz Betriebs GmbH
City of Vienna
SVD Büromanagement GmbH
Beteiligungs- und Liegenschafts GmbH (BELIG)
EuroSkills 2020 GmbH
Federal Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection (BMASGK)
Federal Ministry Republic of Austria Digital and Economic Affairs (BMDW)
Holding Graz Land-, forst- und wasserwirtschaftliches Rechenzentrum (LFRZ)
Niederösterreichischer Gesundheits- und Sozialfonds (NÖGUS)
Österreichische Gesundheitskasse (ÖGK)
Steiermarkbahn und Bus GmbH
Vereinigte Bühnen Wien
Wiener Krankenanstaltenverbund (KAV)
- Advised the Salzburger Verkehrsverbund/ Oberösterreichischer Verkehrsverbund on the negotiation of a new transport service contract with Bmvit and Schig.
- Handling claims management matters for the City of Vienna, Wiener Krankenanstaltenverbund (KAV) relating to the construction of the Krankenhaus Nord.
- Acted for the Federal Ministry Labour, Social Affairs, Health and Consumer Protection on the implementation of three calls for tender concerning the organisational reform of Austrian social insurance.
Cerha Hempel has recently shifted its focus from assisting contracting authorities to primarily acting for the bidding side, including handling self-purification and bid rigging. Georg Konrad specialises in infrastructure and technology projects; Stefan Huber is a key name in the field of higher education procurement; and Michaela Siegwart, who was promoted to partner in 2019, has experience of utilities procurement. The trio jointly head the practice.
Republic of Austria (Ministry of Finance)
CeMM – FORSCHUNGSZENTRUM FÜR MOLEKULARE MEDIZIN GmbH
Austrian Power Grid AG (“APG”)
Vienna International Airport
Consortium D-TOLL (Atlantia S.p.A., Kapsch TrafficCom AG, Autostrade Tech S.p.A.)
Stadler Rail Management AG
Traumatologische Gemeinschaft Burgenland
- Advising companies of the Switzerland -based Stadler group on tender procedures regarding the development, manufacturing and delivery (and maintenance, if applicable) of trains for various Austrian railways.
- Acting for the Consortium D-Toll comprising of Atlantia S.p.A., Kapsch TrafficCom AG and Autotrade Tech S.p.A. on the tender procedures regarding the sale of the shares in Toll Collect GmbH and conclusion of a new operating agreement between the Federal Republic of Germany and Toll Collect GmbH (HGV toll).
- Assisting the operator of the airport in Klagenfurt with procurement and public law matters, in particular with regard to the refurbishment of the runway.
Feuchtmüller Stockert Moick Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG
Established in 2017, Feuchtmüller Stockert Moick Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG's public procurement practice acts for public and sectoral contracting entities as well as private companies. The team, which has considerable sector expertise in construction and energy, is led by Karlheinz Moick and Sebastian Feuchtmüller. Moick handles award procedures with a specific focus on innovations and innovation partnerships and Feuchtmüller excels at procurement procedures relating to construction projects and electricity networks.
‘Each one of the Partners is specialised in a certain field.’
‘The Feuchtmüller Stockert Moick Rechtsanwälte team consists of young, committed and highly competent lawyers who approach every matter with the utmost seriousness.’
‘Sebastian Feuchtmüller is a highly experienced, efficient and personally committed lawyer with a particular passion for details.’
‘Karlheinz Moick has outstanding experience as a lawyer, contractor and specially as a procurer himself, therefore our first address for procurement law in Austria. Quick and exact answers and very flexible.’
Wiener Krankenanstalten- verbund (KAV)
Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse (WGKK)
Austrian Energy Agency (AEA)
Österreichische Forschungsförderungsgesellschaft (FFG)
PRO COR Medizinische Rehabilitation GmbH (PRO COR)
Gemeinde (municipality) Purkersdorf
- Advising Wiener Krankenanstalten- verbund on the handling of an open award procedure in the upper-threshold area for the procurement of security services for seven hospitals in Vienna.
- Assisted the municipality of Purkersdorf with awarding a service concession for the construction and operation of a natural burial facility through a negotiated procedure with prior publication.
- Advised Österreichische Forschungsförderungsgesellschaft on negotiations concerning the upper-threshold area for the award of support services of an international network, which promotes cooperation in the further development of digitised, integrated energy systems in Europe
Heid und Partner Rechtsanwälte GmbH
Saxinger, Chalupsky & Partners (SCWP Schindhelm) has a strong market position in Upper Austria, advising a number of public authorities and local operators in the region. Team head Hanno Liebmann advises contracting authorities and contractors on all phases of public procurement procedures; his knowledge of construction and contract law matters is another strength. The group has notable sector expertise in transport and infrastructure.
‘They finish their job in time, deliver what they promise and are good consultants, always looking for solutions.’
ASFiNAG Autobahnen- und Schnellstraßen-Finanzierungs-AG
Soravia Group and Soravia Equity GmbH
Kepler Universitätsklinikum GmbH
State of Upper Austria and Upper Austrian Traffic Association
Schiene OÖ GmbH and Upper Austrian Traffic Association
ABBAG – Abbaumanagementgesellschaft des Bundes
Salzburg AG für Energie, Verkehr und Telekommunikation
Knorr-Bremse Group and Dr. tech. Josef Zelisko GmbH
Vienna Insurance Group and Wiener Städtische Versicherung AG
I.K. Hofmann GmbH
Stern & Hafferl VerkehrsgmbH and Linzer Lokalbahn AG
Viega GmbH & Co KG
Asamer Kies- und Betonwerke GmbH
AMAG service GmbH
ABW Abbruch, Boden- und WasserreinigungsgmbH und Altlastensanierung und Abraumdeponie Langes Feld GmbH
NEC Deutschland GmbH
Helmut Uhrig Straßen- und Tiefbau GmbH
Energie AG Oberösterreich
- Advising Asfinag AG on controversial procurement issues arising from the redevelopment of the longest road tunnel in Austria.
- Assisting Soravia Group and Soravia Equity GmbH with a successful bid for a public tender regarding the new headquarters for Austria’s air traffic control agency.
- Advising Kepler Universitätsklinikum GmbH on procurement for the €105m construction of the campus building for the newly founded medical faculty of the Kepler University Linz.
The public procurement department at Schoenherr (Schönherr Rechtsanwälte) acts alongside the firm's real estate, IP and corporate practitioners to advise a broad range of clients from sectors including life sciences, gaming and export-oriented industries. The team, which is led by Johannes Stalzer, assists with tender documentation and public procurement proceedings, related legal opinions as well as representation before public inquiries and appeal authorities.
St.Jude Medical Medizintechnik GmbH
Wien IT GmbH
Thales Austria GmbH
Wiener Netze GmbH
Neue Heimat Tirol
- Advised WienIT on the procurement of a framework contract for postal services for the Wiener Stadtwerke Group.
In collaboration with the firm's M&A and corporate practice, Binder Grösswang handles public procurement issues including the scope of exemptions from the law, the design of legally compliant bidding consortia and subcontracting relationships with competitors. Johannes Barbist and his team also advise bidders on tender documentation, bid preparation and the administration of awarded contracts. Industry expertise spans from machinery and financial services to healthcare technology and commercial service.
‘Johannes Barbist is not only highly experienced, he is also down to earth and very easy to work with.’
‘Johannes Barbist gives real recommendations and does not hide behind the law.’
Breitenfeld Rechtsanwälte GmbH & Co KG
DORDA Rechtsanwaelte GmbH's public procurement team has a core focus on the life science and healthcare sectors, advising pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers as well as private hospital operators. Bernhard Müller stands out for his specific knowledge of tender proceedings for hospital information systems, radiological information systems and radiological image storage and archiving systems. In addition, the department is active in the field of defence and security, particularly cyber security.
‘Dr. Bernhard Müller and his team have an excellent legal sound knowledge. Their approach to new tasks can best be described as analytical, precautionary and goal-oriented.’
‘Bernhard Müller is well known for his excellent legal advice and furthermore we want to emphasise his widespread availability.’
‘Profound theoretical and practical knowledge and understanding of industry requirements.’
‘Practical and strategical thinking and approach. Excellent drafting skills with regard to structure and understanding of wording. Focus on the essential topics and issues.’
G4S Secure Solutions AG
Glaxo Smith Kline
DRF Luftrettung and ARA Flugrettung gemeinützige GmbH
HAGRO -Ventilation and Air-Conditioning Technology
Arbeitsgemeinschaft “Nichtsesshaftenhilfe” (Association for “Homeless Help”)
Karl Mach Gesellschaft m.b.H.
- Supported PremiQaMed Group on the first Austria-wide procurement procedure for outpatient rehabilitation services.
- Representing GSK in a review procedure concerning the tender for a pneumococcal vaccine.
- Advised CSL on an EU-wide tender for immunoglobulins.