AM Law Firm stands out in the market for its broad practice, encompassing both non-contentious matters and litigation. On the advisory side, the practice has a full-service offering to corporate clients, advising on contract drafting, employment matters, and compliance with Armenian tax and customs law. The team’s work on contentious matters includes challenges to the decisions of regulators, disputes between companies, and labour-related litigation; it also has a notable practice representing prominent Armenian politicians in defamation proceedings. Grigor Minasyan leads the team; other key partners include Vanik Margaryan, who has a broad practice across finance, corporate, and tax law, and David Hunanyan, who in addition to handling civil litigation also leads the firm’s criminal law practice. Narine Sargsyan is also praised by clients.
Leading firms in Armenia
AM Law Firm
Other key lawyers:
Vanik Margaryan; David Hunanyan; Narine Sargsyan
‘The firm is very responsive and thorough.’
‘We work primarily with Narine Sargsyan. She has been very responsive and thorough in her answers.’
PEI Develompent AM LLC
Sapphire Trading LLC
Aller Aqua AM LLC
Avetisyan Construction LLC
Data Trade LLC
Alfa Food Service LLC (Armenia)
Cabarco LLC (Adjarabet Armenia)
New Generation School
Arcada Construction LLC
Belasco Construction LLC
Yandex.Taxi BV (Netherlands)
Nikol Pashinyan (Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia)
Alen Simonyan (President of the National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia)
Arsen Torosyan (Former Minister of Health of the Republic of Armenia)
Armenian branch of the company QUESTRADE International Inc.
National Burn Center closed joint-stock company (CJSC) (Ministry of Health of the Republic of Armenia)
INGO ARMENIA Insurance Closed Joint-Stock Company (CJSC)
- Advised Checchi and Company Consulting on all aspects of the foundation and registration of a branch in Armenia.
- Advised a client on contesting a fine for alleged non-licensed activity.
- Representing the interests of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Armenia in cases of defamation and insult in the courts of the Republic of Armenia.
Concern Dialog law firm stands out in the Armenian market for the breadth of its practice, with a particular focus on contentious matters. The team’s litigation includes disputes involving tax, defamation, and unfair competition, and it is also well known for its work in labour and employment claims, acting for both employees and employers. The practice also represents government bodies in constitutional law disputes and additionally has a strong criminal law practice. Practice head Aram Orbelyan is highly praised by clients as a ‘top-notch lawyer’, while Narine Beglaryan leads on corporate and banking work. Elsewhere, Artur Hovhannisyan specialises in tax law, and Janna Simonyan heads the team’s employment practice. Lilit Karapetyan focuses on the mining sector.
Other key lawyers:
Narine Beglaryan; Artur Hovhannisyan; Janna Simonyan; Lilit Karapetyan
‘They offer out-of-the-box thinking and are client-oriented’
‘he firm is one (if not the only) firm in Armenia which is capable of staffing large due diligence projects involving multiple areas of law, and is particularly strong in mining.’
‘Aram Orbelyan is a top-notch lawyer, vastly knowledgeable and pragmatic. He is available 24/7 and extremely reliable. Narine Beblaryan and Lilit Karapetyan are also very good.’
‘During the cooperation with the team I have noticed a very important thing, that is the conscientious approach and responsibility in relation to their work, and, which is more important, they are able to give, to suggest more than one solution to the same problem.’
‘Our organization has been completely satisfied with the firm’s performance. The Firm formulates an effective strategy for each case that is assigned to them.’
‘Currently we work with the extremely professional Aram Orbelyan. Usually, depending on the issue, the company may assign a person from relevant department to work with. All their staff that we worked with are very professional, experienced, have excellent analytical skills; they are punctual, meet deadlines.’
‘The firm has all the key attributes and capacities to provide wide range of services: labour law, criminal law, corporate law etc., which large corporate organizations are faced with on a daily basis. People are very highly responsible and outcome focused, billing is flexible and sometimes they are open to new ideas and changes which suits companies objectives’ the most.’
Bankruptcy administrator of Stones LLC – Khachik Nazaryan
AAB Project LLC
Chiefs of the Communities of the cities of Abovyan, Tsakhadzor and Nor Hachn
Gagik Khachatryan (the former head of State Revenue Committee and ex-minister of Finance of the Republic of Armenia) and his sons Gurgen and Artyom Khachatryans (businessmen, shareholders of Ucom CJSC (Telecom )
K&P Law Firm has a broad practice in the Armenian market, providing advice on credit facilities, transactions, and day-to-day corporate matters. The practice is particularly active in Armenia’s real estate sector, where it advises construction companies on financings, the acquisition of permits, and the drafting of construction documents; it also acts for other clients, such as retailers, on property transactions and the negotiation of leases. Other sectors of focus for the firm include financial services and Armenia’s growing renewable energy space. Tatul Khudatyan and Vardan Stepanyan jointly lead the team, with Gayane Virabyan and Ani Nargizyan also names to note.
Tatul Khudatyan; Vardan Stepanyan
Other key lawyers:
Gayane Virabyan; Ani Nargizyan; Anna Hakobyan
‘An excellent, organized and friendly team of highly qualified lawyers.’
‘The team shows thorough knowledge and understanding of the complex practices in the financial services market.’
‘Vardan Stepanyan is certainly the driving intellectual lead of the team, highly responsible for all the team’s effective and business-oriented advice. He has thorough knowledge of the financial services market with a focus on Armenia-specific advice.’
‘Great experience with Vardan Stepanyan and Gayana Virabyan. Very thorough, reactive and practical-minded.’
‘K&P is a very organized and responsible team of young, knowledgeable and energy driven associates and highly professional, experienced partners who can resolve even the hardest issues in the best of client’s interests.’
‘The team is efficient, personable and highly diligent. The last year was turbulent in this region, and yet K&P team has navigated this period with the confidence and stable attitude.’
‘Our cooperation with Tatul Khudatyan proves that he is a highly professional problem solver. His comprehensive knowledge of the Armenian market and deal structures gives us confidence in our daily business activities and comprehensive business deals. He is a great negotiator and thoroughly represents our interests on all levels of negotiations both with private and public institutions due to his grasp of the mentality and business culture of the region.’
‘Gayane Virabyan was very skilled at outlining the legal landscape and the legal considerations for our business as it expanded into this new territory.’
HIMA UCO LLC
MoneyGram International Inc.
PROPARCO (Group Agence Française de Développement)
Tufenkian Holdings LLC
Siemens AG (and other Siemens Group companies)
Areg Energia LLC
Tavitian Vineyards LLC
Noy Invest Group LLC
Computron Industries Establishment
Sovrano LLC (Group of Associated companies)
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
C-Quadrat Ampega Asset Management Armenia LLC
Majid Al Futtaim AM LLC (MAF operating Carrefour brand)
Research Center of Maternal and Child Health
Elite Group LLC
- Provided legal consulting to PROPARCO concerning the negotiation, reviewing and finalising of a credit facility agreement in relation with a loan in the amount of 25,000,000 EUR to be made available by PROPARCO to the National Mortgage Company.
- Advised Majid Al Futtaim AM on five commercial lease transactions as part of the company’s expansion of its presence in Armenia.
- Advised Areg Energia on the negotiation, drafting and organising the execution of a general credit agreement, which secured the client a loan of up to 6,000,000 USD.
Legelata Law firm is noted for its work in the financial services sector, advising banks on regulatory compliance and transactions; the team also acts on the borrower side of transactions. Elsewhere, the firm counsels clients on compliance with a variety of regulations, including data privacy, advertising, and customs, with the management of intellectual property portfolios also a key focus. Managing partner Gor Margaryan focuses on banking and corporate law, while Arthur Buduryan became a partner in 2021 and has broad expertise. Alla Hakhnazaryan leads the team’s intellectual property and litigation work.
Gor Margaryan; Alla Hakhnazaryan; Arthur Buduryan
‘The team is young, they are open minded personalities and it is just a pleasure to cooperate with them. We were looking for a long time to find a partner like Legelata LLC. Legelata is doing everything possible to give your questions exhaustive answers.’
‘They offer professionalism and respond in a timely manner with flexibility.’
Sberbank of Russia
Lego Juris A/S
China Machinery Engineering
Z&A Stores LLC (franchisee of Burberry, Armani, Ralph Lauren and other luxury brands in Armenia)
Alfa-Bank open joint stock company
PNB Banka AS of Latvia
Granite Management Services
American Centre for International Solidarity (Solidarity Centre)
Herbalife Nutrition, Ltd.
- Assisted PNB Banka Latvia in management of the credit organisation, which was under the liquidation process by selling its assets and portfolios, including providing representation in courts with regards to pending cases and providing reporting to Central Bank of Armenia.
- Advised Coinstats on the structuring of a bankable group of companies in receiving venture capital for development of a cryptocurrency trading platform from well-known venture capital funds.
- Advised China Machinery Engineering on the transactional documentation in connection with a power plant project, aiming to create a less risky structure for performance of its obligations under the construction contract
ADWISE Legal provides comprehensive advice to corporate clients on a range of issues relevant to doing business in Armenia, including M&A transactions, contract drafting, corporate governance, and compliance with Armenian regulations. The team acts for established companies in Armenia as well as new entrants to the market, across sectors including technology, consumer goods, and financial services. In addition to providing ongoing advice, the team is also active in helping clients facing tax issues. The practice is jointly led by Ara Khzmalyan and Hayk Malkhasyan, both of whom have broad expertise and experience working in-house and in academia.
Ara Khzmalyan; Hayk Malkhasyan
DISQO AM CJSC
Coca Cola Hellenic Bottling Armenia CJSC
CMX Solutions LLC
Publicis Hepta LLC
ARGE Business LLC
Armenian Branch of World Vision International Beneficent Organization
Playrix Armenia LLC
Pretty Way LLC (“Vesta” Chain)
Systems Technology Institute CJSC
Lucin Organics LLC
Premier Urgence International Armenian branch
- Advised Lucin Organics, a local start-up business, on setting up production of organic handmade cosmetics and engaging a new foreign investor.
- Assisted Rimute Holdings Limited in entering the Armenian market through the acquisition of an Armenia-based game developer company.
- Performed successful lobbying activities on behalf of ARGE Business LLC to retroactively amend tax regulations so as to cancel a 150m AMD penalty imposed on the client.
At HAP, practice head Hayk Hovhannisyan recently returned to private practice after spending several years serving on the Supreme Judicial Council of Armenia. Under Hovhannisyan’s leadership, the team is noted for its work in litigation, handling commercial litigation, employment disputes, and challenges to procurement processes. The firm also provides broad advice to clients on corporate issues such as the establishment of companies, registering IP, and contract drafting. Gagik Grigoryan focuses on bankruptcy and banking law, while Anna Margaryan specialises in procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Gagik Grigoryan; Anna Margaryan
‘Hayk Hovhannisyan is a charismatic leader, very influential and prominent, brilliantly flexible mindset and knowledgeable, huge connections within political establishment of Armenia and the region, notable international connections at all levels. Gagik Grigoryan is an expert in bankruptcy and complex disputes. Anna Margaryan is a policymaker in state procurement and has a notable practice in urban development, strong in competition regulations and compliance.’
‘Managing partner Hayk Hovhannisyan is a star lawyer.’
‘Hayk is a resourceful and charismatic leader, he is a person of high integrity, and is a notable figure in the Armenian and regional legal market.’
‘Gagik Grigoryan is a known expert in bankruptcy law. He regularly speaks on important topics on media, trains insolvency office holders, publishes articles and is known as a precedent creator in bankruptcy law. His practice and developed doctrine is being used also for Insolvency Law Reform led by HAP since 2017 for the Armenian Government via EBRD. Gagik is very reliable and knowledgeable with a notable track record.’
‘Anna Margaryan is well known as a procurement and competition law specialist among experts and businesses. She has a notable track record in representing clients in state procurement disputes. Anna is also a master in urban development and planning.
‘We mostly interact with Anna Margaryan, whose responsiveness and ability to translate legal advice to practical business situation is much appreciated.’
Government of the Republic of Armenia
IBM East Europe/Asia Limited
State National Academic Opera and Ballet Theater
Shareholder of AmeriaBank
120 employees of Armenian Copper Program CJSC
Chief Conductor of NYCO Constantin Harry Orbelian
George’s Dom LLC
Step Logic Yug LLC
Ramkavar Azatakan All-Armenian Party
Union of Currency Dealers
Hermel Group LLC
- Representing the Republic of Armenia in an ICSID arbitration related to concessions.
- Acting for a shareholder of Ameriabank in strategic litigation for banking sector of Armenia, clarifying “squeeze out” and “buy out” regulations and corporate governance rules in banks and general corporations with a significant emphasis on protection right of ownership and fair trial.
- Represented Step Logic LLC in a complex public procurement dispute with the State Revenue Committee.
ILC (International Legal Consulting)
ILC (International Legal Consulting) specialises in providing advice to multinational companies on their activities in the Armenian market. The team is highly active in advising clients on a wide range of compliance and regulatory issues, including in the areas of data protection, antitrust, tax, and HR. The practice also handles corporate transactions and is frequently instructed on product launches in Armenia. Edith Khachatourian leads the practice and splits her time between San Francisco and Yerevan.
SMBC Aviation Capital
Marks and Spencer Plc
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company
Casio Computer Co., Ltd.
Telus Agriculture Solutions Inc.
Carl Zeiss AG
Church of Latter Day Saints
Habitat For Humanity
Macadamian Technologies Inc.
One Trust Technology Limited
- Worked closely with the Nasdaq US legal team in preparing a legal opinion covering compliance issues under Armenian legislation and international treaties, for submission to various regulatory bodies.
- Advised SMBC Aviation Capital on the sublease of a foreign-registered aircraft to an Armenian sublessee, prepared all requisite agreements and issued a legal opinion on the due execution and enforceability of the transaction documents in respect to the sublessee.
- Advised a renowned pharmaceutical company in relation to the distribution of its Covid-19 vaccine, on various regulatory aspects of vaccine labelling, pharmacovigilance, and data protection legislation.
The team at Grant Thornton Legal and Tax LLC provides day-to-day advice to a varied roster of clients, assisting with employment matters and corporate governance. The team is additionally particularly focused on advising clients on loan agreements, providing reviews of all relevant documentation. Hakob Tadevosyan, Aram Poghosyan and Tatevik Harutyunyan are the key partners in the team. All have broad experience acting for clients ranging from NGOs to companies in the financial services, healthcare, and technology sectors.
Hakob Tadevosyan; Aram Poghosyan; Armen Galstyan; Tatevik Harutyunyan
Howard Karagyozyan Medical Benevolent NGO
Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden NV (FMO)
Embassy of Switzerland in Armenia
Jan Viktor Klima
Frankfurt School Financial Services GmbH
Armenian Caritas Benevolent NGO
Lydian Armenia CJSC
- Advised Howard Karagyozyan Medical Benevolent NGO on complicated transactions in regard to real estate.
- Advised Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden in connection with the negotiations with an Armenian bank pertaining to issues of the local legislation, as well as a custody agreement governed by the RA legislation.
- Advised Lydian Armenia CJSC in connection with loan/credit agreements and study of related documentation.
Investment Law Group LLC
Investment Law Group LLC has a broad practice, advising clients on matters including corporate transactions, regulatory matters, and insolvencies. The practice acts for clients in an equally varied range of sectors, with a particular focus on mining, banking and energy. In addition to acting for Armenian companies, the firm also advises multinationals entering the Armenian market. Managing partner Artashes Kakoyan leads the team. Sayad Badalyan frequently acts for mining and energy clients, providing advice on transactions and compliance with Armenian environmental laws. Vahagn Dallakyan is another name to note in the team and leads on bankruptcy-related work.
Other key lawyers:
Sayad Badalyan; Vahagn Dallakyan
‘It provides comprehensive support on commercial, corporate and regulatory matters, and understands cross-border transactions very well.’
‘The team is advising on the full range of legal matters from commercial and regulatory to competition law. Vahagn Dallakyan leads the team we work with and always ensures that we get a timely, sharp, practice-oriented advice.’
‘The team is comprised of very professional and qualified lawyers. The managing partner is one of the most prominent lawyers in the country. Client orientation, focus on the substance and solution of the most complicated legal issues is the main advantage of ILG.’
‘Artashes Kakoyan and Sayad Badalyan – their service we appreciate a lot.’
Buy Armenian Inc
Agro Serv LLC
VOEB Service GmbH, 100% subsidiary of the German Association of Public Banks
The Black Sea Trade and Development Bank
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
VTB Bank PJSC
Les Laboratoires Servier SAS
- Providing legal support to Buy Armenian in establishing the branch office of the client in the Republic of Armenia and in development of the online sales platform’s terms and conditions for users in light of regulatory framework of RA.
- Providing comprehensive legal advice to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development on Armenian jurisdiction issues within the framework of the project of construction of a 100-120 MW solar power plant in Armenia.