Interview with: Juan Germán Osorio, Legal Partner
Deloitte Asesores y Consultores | View firm profile
Juan German Osorio, introducing the opportunities, risks and benefits from the legal activity, within the client´s needs and the firm´s innovation and performance goals.
What do you see as the main points that differentiate [law firm name] from your competitors?
One of the main points that differentiate Deloitte Legal from our competitors is the fact that we can offer our clients a “one-stop-shop”, for Deloitte Legal is part of a greater structure, that offers professional services in Tax, Financial, Accounting and Transfer Pricing Advisory. In addition, approaches are also provided on a global-scale, which is beneficial for international clients. Therefore, by being part of a greater and organized structure, we have a competitive advantage that allows us to be leaders in the legal services market. Finally, Deloitte Legal has very strong politics regarding integrity, quality, independence and confidentiality. This allows our work to be “guaranteed”, for we are always on the track to innovate and keep giving a high-end service to our clients.
Which practices do you see growing in the next 12 months? What are the drivers behind that?
We are currently seeking to help our professionals grow, by optimizing the scopes of our legal team, incorporating different practice areas, increasing our levels of expertise and expanding our services to new clients. We are also willing to invest in our resources and workforce.
What’s the main change you’ve made in the firm that will benefit clients?
One of the most important changes we´ve been trying to implement is to accelerate processes with our clients. We are conscious of the urgency of most of their cases, and that´s why we are doing our best to prioritize every single task in the least possible time, without sacrificing quality.
Is technology changing the way you interact with your clients, and the services you can provide them?
Deloitte as a global firm is seriously committed to implement new technologies in order to facilitate our services provision. Currently, we are implementing three main applications: 1. DELA 2. Element 3. Corporate Compliance. Therefore, technology has changed our way of interacting with our clients in a very positive way. In addition, the challenges derived from the pandemic have allowed us to work one hundred percent remotely, and adapt to different platforms for communicating, both within the Team and with our clients. Furthermore, technological resources oriented towards brand´s design and identity, has allowed us to provide creative deliverables, presentations, and interactive products to our clients.
Can you give us a practical example of how you have helped a client to add value to their business?
A practical example of how we have helped a client to add value to their business was a recently registered, successful corporate merger between two leading transport and warehousing companies. The value added was reflected on the following results:
- The company´s profit was maximized and the equity was strengthen, as the competitive advantages of each of the Companies in the market were combined.
- Centralizing and unifying the management and administration of the Companies in the governing body of the same legal entity helped reduce costs, increase the efficiency of internal procedures, facilitate administrative controls and improve the results and productivity of the Companies.
- Simplification of compliance with tax, accounting and reporting obligations was achieved, as well as making administrative management of this type of business more efficient.
- We advised the merging companies through the employment substitution, complying with all Colombian Labor and Social Security laws in a gradual manner by setting two (2) effective employer substitution dates.
- Through this, we were able to comply with Colombian regulations, without disregarding the operative needs of both companies, these being firstly, adapting to the new business and marketplace and secondly, finalizing activities for the merged company.
- Equally as important, we drafted the “Employer Substitution Agreement”, in which we defined all transfer of personnel, labor assets and liabilities conditions, as well as the moment in which the new employer would assume all labor obligations, thus avoiding labor and social security conflicts that could arise from the employer substitution.
Are clients looking for stability and strategic direction from their law firms – where do you see the firm in three years’ time?
We are aiming to maintain our position and high-end service with our clients in a way to ensure certainty and stability. Trustworthiness is the most important element in our bond with our clients, and this can only be achieved through integrity and commitment in our work. In three years, we see ourselves providing more services to our clients, improving our team´s dynamics and focusing our efforts to build from ground up a finest, organized structure.