Interview with: Jose-Juan Mendez, Founding Partner and General Director
Méndez + Cortés S.C. | View firm profile
What do you see as the main points that differentiate mendez + cortes, s.c. From your competitors?
Mendez + Cortes, S.C. was established with a clearly defined objective, mainly to provide an individual and personalized service with the purpose of meeting clients’ needs through clear and convenient strategies.
Each case and client is important to us. We aim to accomplish our goals by:
- Providing prompt responses and immediate attention, through a personalized service.
- Always being up-to-date on matters affecting our practice.
- Actively participating in the legal arena by collaborating with the authorities in new proposals in order to improve the Mexican IP system.
- Assisting our clients with educational programs and lectures, as well as providing bulletins on legal news.
- Providing transparent and competitive prices. Therefore, we are predictable to our clients and they can easily budget their legal expenses.
- Using technology to enable our clients to get things done faster and inexpensively.
- Consolidating a strategic national and international network with experts even in other complementary areas with the purpose of satisfying our clients’ and responding professionally and ethically to their needs.
- Providing innovative and clear solutions that assist client concerns.
- Maintaining the great reputation and prestige of our lawyers, especially José Juan Méndez.
- Continually networking as part of international associations such as INTA, AIPPI, ASIPI, ECTA, ABPI, etc,
- Keeping our clients and colleagues informed about IP by providing dynamic articles and information.
Which practices do you see growing in the next 12 months? What are the drivers behind that?
We are sure that all aspects of intellectual property will grow in the near future. Moreover, during recent years we have noticed a constant growth in the practice (patents, trademarks, copyrights, etc). The numbers given by the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI) show the increase of IP protection in Mexico by domestic and foreign entities.
This situation is a result of the policies implemented by the Mexican government during the last few years, with the purpose of attracting foreign investment and the development of new technologies, particularly in the manufacture of goods areas. Some of these actions are as follows:
- Mexico holds the highest numbers of international free-trade agreements in Latin America. The potential entrance of the TPP means Mexico will become a very attractive country for trade.
- Recent amendments to the industrial property law (Mexico’s domestic IP law), particularly the entrance of the opposition system in Mexico, which creates a more efficient system for the protection and enforcement of IP rights.
- Incentives provided by the Mexican government to research and develop investments. Mexico is turning into a leading country in the export of manufactured goods.
- New opportunities for foreign investment in connection with increasingly active areas.
- Investment in local infrastructure.
The above mentioned activities, among others, are benefiting the Mexican economic situation and its level of competition in Latin America.
What’s the main change you’ve made in the firm that will benefit clients?
We have incorporated new technologies to our practice at Mendez + Cortes with the purpose of getting things done in quicker, more efficient way, and avoiding unnecessary costs to our clients. These includes:
- Patents, trademarks and litigation software (Mencort IP support software) that allow us to control and give proper support to our clients’ portfolios.
- Developing different procedures regarding each practice area in our firm.
- Constant personnel training to improve all areas in Mendez + Cortes, S.C., as well as customer service.
- Surveys that show us the opportunity areas of our Firm and how can we keep improving the quality in our services.
We are constantly working on and developing new relations with the authorities, participating actively in IP life, promoting changes in our local law. For example, we were part of the process of making the new opposition system in Mexico, which will be officially launched in August.
Is technology changing the way you interact with your clients, and the services you can provide them?
Our philosophy is a direct and warm approach to our clients and we will never change that. Direct contact and personalized service with our clients has always been our priority.
However, we use technology as an important tool in order to be more efficient every day. This helps us control important deadlines and avoid any mistakes.
We like to keep updated with the new trends. Nevertheless, we do not allow technology to change our philosophy of keeping a close and strong relationship by giving an individual and personalized attention to our clients’ concerns.
Can you give us a practical example of how you have helped a client to add value to their business?
First of all we analyze the client’s situation. Our main goal is to create a preventive policy of IP rights instead of a reactive policy for all clients.
In this sense, we understand that they probably do not know their IP potential. Therefore, once we have analyzed the client’s situation and we have solved their most urgent needs, we then offer them seminars and courses with the purpose that they can identify new opportunities in IP.
We present clear and suitable strategies to our clients so that they can optimize their intellectual capital. We give them legal advice on how to increase their capital by encouraging their staff to generate new technologies, and then we protecting those too. We help them to understand the value of a trademark, as well as the value of other less known but important figures, such as trade secrets, utility models, industrial designs, etc.
We help them to establish rules and guidelines in order that they may: i) identify IP opportunities, ii) identify potential risks with workers, distributors, suppliers, competitors, etc, iii) protect and organize their IP portfolios to obtain optimal benefits, and we help them to establish and a strong defense policy for their IP rights.
Are clients looking for stability and strategic direction from their law firms – where do you see the firm in three year’s time?
Mendez + Cortes S.C. initiated its activities three years ago, but the consolidated team has more than 25 years of experience in the field with a permanent and steady growth in both client numbers and revenue.
Three years from now, we see our firm consolidated as one of the top law firms because we are sure that our quality and professionalism is some of the best. Our lawyers are expanding their reputations, impacting the destiny of IP law in Mexico by always keeping constantly updated and attending international congresses and courses, and probably incorporating new partners with the purpose of creating a stronger team.
We always move forward by creating clear and shared goals within our team. This allows us to have a clear direction towards our achievements and results, always to the benefit of our clients.