Bell Gully offers an experienced transport practice, with clients including New Zealand’s most significant companies and operators such as Air New Zealand and Auckland Transport. In Wellington, Andrew Beatson is a key figure in the resource management and infrastructure spaces, and Hugh Kettle focuses on major infrastructure projects and banking transactions, working with public sector bodies. In Auckland, Natasha Garvan focuses on environmental and resource management matters.
Transport (rail, road, air and sea) in New Zealand
Other key lawyers:
Air New Zealand
Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency
City Rail Limited
Tainui Group Holdings
- Advising Auckland Transport and NZ Transport Agency on Te Tupu Ngātahi (The Supporting Growth Alliance).
- Advised City Rail Link Limited and its predecessor AT on all aspects of the City Rail Link project.
- Advised Tainui Group Holdings on a nationally-significant and highly strategic project to develop an inland port at Ruakur.
With offices in Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland, Buddle Findlay‘s transport team has broad coverage and is able to undertake nationally significant projects such as Auckland Transport’s City Rail Link project. Paul Beverley is a recognised expert in infrastructure projects and Māori law issues, including those relating to transport projects. Auckland-based national chair Jennifer Caldwell regularly acts for local authorities on environment and resource management issues. She is ably supported by a team featuring Tom Bennett on procurement and construction, alongside Vanessa Evitt and senior associate Mathew Gribben on local government and regional infrastructure developments. Patrick Mulligan left the practice.
‘Highly collaborative working in an integrated way alongside the project team’.
‘Jennifer Caldwell is an outstanding partner who is solution-focused and highly dedicated.’
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
Greater Wellington Regional Council
Hutt City Council
Kapiti Coast District Council
- Advised Waka Kotahi on obtaining the approvals for the Te Ara Tupua – Ngā Ūranga to Pito-One Shared Path Project.
- Advised Auckland Council and Auckland Transport on the project alliance agreement and related governance arrangements for the City Rail Link.
- Advising Waka Kotahi on Project NEXT, the National Ticketing Project.
Dentons Kensington Swan’s full-service transport department has a strong record in handling major PPP projects, and is a regular advisor to major New Zealand transport agencies. Auckland office managing partner and real estate specialist Matthew Ockleston worked with other key names Paul Buetow, Christina Sheard, and Nicky McIndoe advising NZ Transport Agency on the Northern Corridor Improvements Project. McIndoe leads the national environment and planning team, and her work focuses on the Resource Management Act, heritage, conservation, public works, and local government legislation relevant to infrastructure.
Other key lawyers:
Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency
Ministry of Social Development
Grand Complex Properties Limited
Universal Homes Limited
Tāmaki Regeneration Limited
Fletcher Building Limited
Fisher & Paykel Appliances Limited
Oji Fibre Solutions
Downer New Zealand
CPB Contractors/ CIMIC
- Advised Waka Kotahi on the development of the Business Case through to the current construction process for the NCI Project and the new Rosedale Bus Station.
- Advising Waka Kotahi on a number of complex matters relating to the SH1 Whangārei to Port Marsden Highway.
- Advising Waka Kotahi on all matters relating to environmental and planning approvals and land acquisition, as part of the SH58 project.
Russell McVeagh offers significant breadth and depth in the transportation sector. The firm advises on a range of matters in the aviation sector, including planning, regulatory control provisions of the Commerce Act, and on process and methodologies for establishing airport landing charges. On the shipping side, the team has specialist maritime law expertise and its expertise includes advice on chartering and drydocking arrangements and ports and berths access. Key partners in Auckland include Daniel Minhinnick, the national chair of the environment, planning and natural resources group, and Allison Arthur-Young, who specialises in development and large-scale infrastructure projects, along with district and regional planning policy. Simon Pilkinton advises infrastructure providers and major urban developers on all aspects of resource management and environmental law, with expertise in the water, municipal waste, and ports sectors. On the commercial side, Mei Fern Johnson advises on M&A and investment in (and procurement of) infrastructure, transport and energy (including oil and gas) projects, and collaborative contracting.
Auckland International Airport Limited
Panuku Development Auckland Limited
KiwiRail Holdings Limited
New Zealand Airports Association
Ports of Auckland Limited
Bus and Coach Association
Mana Coach Services
- Advising KiwiRail on the environmental approvals required for the project, Intermodal Freight Hub.
- Advised NZ Infra on the consenting strategy, legislative reform and property acquisition aspects of NZ Infra’s provision of light rail from the City Centre to Mangere in Auckland.
- Advising Auckland Airport on the suite of planning approvals required to enable the development of a longer second runway at Auckland Airport.
Simpson Grierson‘s transportation expertise spans all areas from planning and funding, to construction and ongoing operations, with a long-standing reputation for working on major projects in the Auckland region. Working primarily with government entities, practice head Gerald Lanning is collaborating with real estate specialists Michael Wood and Nick Wilson on Auckland Transport’s acquisition of the properties required for the Auckland Manukau Eastern Transport Initiative project. Infrastructure lawyers Michael Weatherall and Michael Sage are also highly recommended, as is special counsel Lisa Curran for construction matters.
City Rail Link Ltd
Fletcher Residential Limited
CPB Contractors Limited
Wellington City Council
Tauranga City Council
Queenstown Lakes District Council
Christchurch City Council
- Advising Auckland Council on the renewal of the Northcote Town Centre on Auckland’s North Shore.
- Advising the New Zealand Transport Agency on its acquisition programme.
- Advised Auckland Council and Panuku Development Auckland on obtaining consents for the necessary infrastructure to enable Auckland to hold the 36th America’s Cup in 2021.
The Christchurch-based transport and logistics practice at Anthony Harper advises on a wide range of complex planning, transactional, and regulatory matters, including working with global freight forwarder, Hellmann on its novel Covid-related aircraft charter and block space purchase agreements with Air New Zealand for the carriage of freight. Key contact Chris Dann ‘provides very high-quality advice‘ and is an expert in the logistics and shipping sectors.
‘Detailed knowledge of the Port and Maritime industry. Significant history of providing legal advice and support in this specialist area. This includes international transactions for sale and purchase of expensive equipment.’
‘Chris Dann provides very high quality advice and has a high attention to detail.’
Auckland International Airport
China Eastern Airways
First Global Logistics
Hellmann Worldwide Logistics
Kings Transport and Logistics
Lyttelton Port Company Limited
Mercedes-Benz New Zealand
Scales Storage and Logistics
- Advised Hilton Haulage on the establishment of its global logistics and freight forwarding business division.
- Advised Lyttelton Port Company Limited on a range of template and bespoke port and logistics services agreements.
- Advised Rhenus Group on the purchase of shares in three separate companies comprising Malcolm Total Logistics Group.
Focused on the shipping and logistics sectors, Hesketh Henry has a strong record in transactional and contentious matters, many of them with an international element. Clients praise its ‘strength in New Zealand admiralty law’ and board multi-jurisdictional expertise. Dual-qualified England and New Zealand maritime lawyer Simon Cartwright offers ‘practical advice and solutions’; he works alongside Alan Sherlock, a specialist in marine insurance, and transactional lawyer Ruth Allcoat.
‘Strength in NZ admiralty law and practice as well as admiralty law in other jurisdictions like UK and UAE.’
‘Approachable and clear communications International knowledge Practical and pragmatic advice.’
‘Reliable, knowledgeable, contactable and responsive.’
‘Simon Cartwright, knowledgeable in maritime and insurance law; able to offer practical advice and solutions.’
Charterers P&I Club
TPT Shipping Limited (in administration)
- Advised Charterers P&I Club and its assured TPT Shipping Ltd on its response to a number of claims made by vessel operators in relation to letters of indemnity.
- Representing an international shipping liner company in defence proceedings against a claim brought by New Zealand cargo owners and insurers in the New Zealand High Court.
- Representing the owner of a heritage Camper & Nicholson yacht in claims against the repair yard that carried out work to replace the anti-fouling on the hull in 2013.
MinterEllisonRuddWatts has extensive expertise advising constructors, developers and government bodies through all stages of the project lifecycle. Aviation, ports and maritime infrastructure are a core source of work, with matters encompassing funding, procurement and construction for large-scale projects. Key figures include Auckland-based infrastructure specialist Sarah Sinclair and corporate partner Mark Forman, and Wellington-based Briony Davies.
‘The firm is highly responsive, commercially attuned and has strong industry knowledge. Its focus is on substantial matters and the practice integrates seamlessly with our team.’
‘Highly responsive and commercially attuned with strong industry knowledge. They focus on substantial matters and are integrated seamlessly with our team.’
Ports of Auckland Limited
Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Authority
Ministry of Transport
Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association Inc
Wellington Gateway Partnership
Metrobox Limited and Pinnacle Corporation Limited
- Advising the Ministry of Transport on the Auckland Light Rail project.
- Advising an international joint venture comprising UGL Rail Services Pty Ltd and ComfortDelGro Transit Pte Ltd on their involvement in a procurement process for the operation of the Auckland metro rail network.
- Advising the Transmission Gully project on historical claims made by the JV against the client and NZTA, and the ongoing impacts of COVID-19 on the project.
Recognised for its long-standing maritime expertise, Wilson Harle is instructed on contentious cases, namely arrest matters, cargo claims and contract disputes by vessel owners, port companies, international carriers and their insurers or P&I clubs. Auckland-based litigator Felicity Monteiro leads the team, assisted by senior associate Kerryn Webster.
Other key lawyers:
‘Felicity Monteiro is an excellent lawyer, very responsible and quick to react.’
Cargill Ocean Transportation (Singapore) Pte
The Standard Club HK
- Represented Cargill Ocean Transportation in claims brought against vessels visiting New Zealand for alleged misdelivery of cargo.
- Representing The Standard Club HK, the charterers of the seized vessel TS Index, in an application made for arbitration.