TMT: Independent local firms in Japan
Anderson Mori & Tomotsune is known for advising on TMT issues related to M&A, finance, regulatory matters, litigation, antitrust, corporate law, and the pharma sector, with particular expertise in IP-related work. In addition, the firm has experience in the drafting and negotiation of contracts, including services agreements. IP and technology experts Yasufumi Shiroyama and Yoshikazu Iwase co-lead the practice with Akihito Nakamachi, who has expertise in transactions for technology-driven clients; Tsutomu Miyano, who handles a range of matters for telecoms businesses; and competition and antitrust specialist Atsushi Yamada.
Yasufumi Shiroyama; Yoshikazu Iwase; Akihito Nakamachi; Tsutomu Miyano; Atsushi Yamada
Toyota Motor Corporation
Murata Machinery (Muratec)
Mochida Pharmaceutical, Co., Ltd.
Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd.
ADVICS CO., LTD.
Toyota Motor Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Taiyo Holdings Co., Ltd.
- Represented Mochida Pharmaceutical in a major collaboration and license deal with Amarin Corporation plc.
- Represented MEDRx Company Limited in a major collaboration and technology license deal with Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited.
- Represented SKPI in a cross-boarder(US and Japan) and unprecedented lawsuit, in which Hirano Tecseed Co., Ltd seeks a declaratory judgment that SKPI does not infringe certain US and Japanese patents of Kaneka Corporation.
- Client Firstface filed import suspension actions against Apple Japan before the Tokyo Customs. Firstface argues that certain iPhone products infringe some of its patents and seeks stoppage of importation by Apple of the infringing iPhone products.
- Client Seoul Semicon filed a patent infringement lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court, accusing the LED product manufactured by Everlight and sold by Mouser of infringing an LED patent of Seoul’s affiliate.
Atsumi & Sakai assists with the registration, protection, use and licensing of patent rights, model utility rights, design rights, copyrights, and trademark rights. The firm handles a range of issues relating to IT, data protection, privacy, and social media laws and policies in Japan. In addition, the practice provides a fintech team and has expertise in the increasingly prominent areas of IoT, big data, AI, and blockchain. Chie Kasahara leads the team and is known for IP, IT, TMT, and life sciences expertise. She also advises clients on licensing, transfer, development, and collaboration agreements.
- As legal advisors of the JBA, regularly participating in meetings and talks with various institutions and organizations and providing comprehensive advice and support to the JBA and its members including cryptocurrency exchange service providers on their crypto businesses.
- Supporting the MUFG Digital Accelerator Program as an advisor.
- Supporting the Fintech Business Camp Tokyo as a supporter.
TMI Associates provides a range of advice on IT-related business issues, particularly in relation to dispute resolution. The firm has overseas experience in IT and intellectual property rights, as well as expertise in the aerospace industries. The practice also has notable expertise in cybersecurity, IoT, and AI. Atsushi Igarashi leads the team and focuses on data protection, intellectual property, telecoms, and entertainment matters.
‘High quality with speed’
‘Communicate well with clients’
‘They have more knowledge and experience than other firms’
‘Mihoko Shintani stands out’
ARM Treasure Data Inc.
ANA HOLDINGS INC.
SAKURA Internet Inc.
Space Port Japan Association
- Provided ARM Treasure Data Inc. with legal advice regarding its unique platform service, in which analysis results obtained from data formed by linking varied information from both the vendor and third parties can be used to create personalised advertisements, as well as legal advice regarding the privacy of users of this service.
- Represented ANA Holdings for AVATAR-IN project (remote controlled robots and apps).
- Represented Airbus Ventures in investment to Japanese start-up.
- Represented SAKURA Internet Inc. in Japanese governmental project of making a platform of satellite data.
- Represented Japanese VC in legal due diligence for investment to satellite data business.
Specialising in fintech and data protection, Nagashima Ohno & Tsunematsu also advises in the area of IT, internet, broadcasting, and telecommunication business. The firm provides corporate, M&A, finance, and dispute resolution expertise, particularly for web-based services companies. Soichiro Fujiwara leads the team and is known for representing international and domestic clients in the areas of software, web service, online game, and telecoms services.
Broadridge Financial Solutions
Fuji Media Holdings, Inc.
Toyota Motor Corporation
- Assisted Arm acquire Treasure Data Corporation.
- Represented Toyota in the joint venture with Softbank regarding MaaS business called MONET Technologies.
- Represented Itochu Corporation in the acquisition of Excite by Xtec HP
- Advised Komatsu who set up a joint venture called “LANDLOG” with partners (i.e., SAP, Optim and NTT Docomo). LANDLOG operates an open IoT platform that accumulates all of the job site data through examination, land surveying, design, execution, maintenance, and processes.
Ushijima & Partners is particularly experienced advising ICT businesses in litigation and issues arising from big data analysis and internet defamation. The firm also has expertise in IP laws, trends in practical operations and government policy. The practice's client rosts includes financial institutions, ICT companies, retail operators, manufacturers of pharmaceuticals and sporting events organisations. Hiroyasu Kageshima leads the team and specialises in IT system development, personal data, fintech, data leakage, and defamation.
Iwata Godo covers the full spectrum of TMT work both domestically and internationally. Clients include Hi-Tech companies, IT firms, financial institutions, and fintech companies, as well as acting for businesses across the banking, energy, telecoms, media, pharmaceuticals, and electronics industries. The firm also provides innovation practice groups, handling IoT, AI, and fintech. Akira Matsuda leads the team and is known for a ‘high level of expertise and performance.’ He has particular expertise in the revised Japanese personal data protection law, as well as advising clients on GDPR and Singapore data protection law.
‘The firm can successfully and promptly grasp the core of the problem, with deep understanding of the businesses and circumstances around to provide the optimal solution’
‘Their response is always timely and cost is reasonable’
‘The firm satisfies in terms of quality, timely manner of their performance and cost’
‘Akira Matsuda is an expert in data protection, including personal information protection’
- Advice on client’s structuring of global transfer of non-personal data among the group and with the third parties.
- Regulatory and contractual drafting advice on the introduction of a digital currency issued by one of the so-called mega banks in Japan.
- Global coordination on review of the terms and conditions as to its AI-related application which runs online or offline.
- Global data protection and other regulatory advice on targeting ads on the client’s smartphone news app.
- Finance and regulatory advice on structuring of system through which foreigners may charge from overseas on Japanese prevailing e-money payment method.