Mr Simon Catto > Addleshaw Goddard > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Addleshaw Goddard Offices
19 CANNING STREET
- Go to...
Mr Simon Catto
Simon is head of the dispute resolution team in Scotland and a solicitor advocate. He regularly handles complex and high value cases in both Sheriff Court and the Court of Session with a particular focus on commercial, contractual, insolvency and sports related disputes. Simon specialises in the full range of commercial, contractual and insolvency disputes. His clients range from insolvency practitioners, banks and public limited companies to small privately owned companies and partnerships. Clients also include UK football clubs and professional sportsmen in the fields of football and athletics. Simon is the appointed solicitor member of the board of the Scottish Court Service. He is also a member of the firm’s Scottish and UK managing boards.
Trained Ledingham Chalmers; qualified 1997; training partner HBJ Gateley 2006-07, qualified as solicitor advocate 2007, head of litigation department 2007 to date, member of managing board (Scotland) 2007, member of the UK board 2008.
The Law Society of Scotland; solicitor member Board of the Scottish Court and Tribunal Service; Solicitor Advocate.
Robert Gordons College; Edinburgh University (1994 LLB Hons; 1995 DipLP).
Acting for both companies and individuals, Addleshaw Goddard receives regular instructions arising from contractual, insolvency and fraud claims with particular expertise in shareholder disputes and breach of warranty claims. This offering is not least a reflection of the expertise of practice head and solicitor advocate Simon Catto, who routinely handles breach of contract and warranty claims alongside insolvency-related disputes.
Addleshaw Goddard‘s debt recovery practice is part of its wider finance litigation offering, which translates into particular expertise at this intersection and, subsequently, to regular instructions from financial institutions, while public and property sector players alongside utilities and SMEs also instruct the team. Simon Catto, whose commercial litigation expertise includes insolvency-related matters, heads the practice.
The sports practice at Addleshaw Goddard encompasses the full range of contentious and non-contentious sports-related issues. Simon Catto, who heads up the group, routinely acts for football players and high-profile clubs in a variety of disputes, with additional strength in complex issues relating to contracts and regulatory matters. Helena Brown is particularly skilled in sponsorship, data protection and consumer compliance matters. In recent team news, Tony McGlennan departed in September 2020 to take up a role at Stranraer Sheriff Court.
- Leading individuals - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Sport - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
- Debt recovery - Scotland > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- Real estate > Planning
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Employment > Employment