Robert Lands > Howard Kennedy LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Howard Kennedy LLP Offices
NO.1 LONDON BRIDGE
- Go to...
Robert Lands is an intellectual property, data protection, and commercial contracts specialist with over 20 years of experience. He is Head of the IP & Commercial team.
Robert is a Partner advising a number of brands, technology, art, entertainment, fashion and retail clients.
He works closely with creative industries in particular on intellectual property matters, including copyright, trade marks, design rights, database rights, and domain names.
Through his thorough understanding of GDPR, he supports clients to navigate data protection laws.
Clients additionally call on Robert to assist with commercial contracts such as franchise agreements and IT contracts, and with related commercial work including advising on advertising and sales promotions.
Robert is a voting member of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
He is also Worldwide Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of Meritas, the global alliance of independent law firms.
With substantial expertise in the fashion, entertainment and culture sectors, Howard Kennedy LLP’s contractual expertise spans franchise issues, supplier contracts, distribution agreements, endorsements and content distribution mandates. Group head Robert Lands regularly handles retail, technology and creative industry matters, and Alex Watt is a key contact for advertising, marketing and brand work.
‘Media heavyweight‘ Mark Stephens co-heads the broad media & entertainment practice at Howard Kennedy LLP, where he focuses his expertise on international and regulatory matters. Robert Lands leads alongside Stephens and is a specialist on the intersection of IP and data protection as they pertain to the creative industries. The firm’s advertising offering is spearheaded by Alex Watt who advises companies on licensing, franchising, publishing, and various forms of gaming. On the contentious side, particularly for her work on matters pertaining to reputation management, privacy, data protection, and freedom of speech, Elizabeth Morley is a key contact at the firm.
Led by Mark Stephens the skilled team at Howard Kennedy LLP advises museums, galleries, dealers and public art organisations on a vast array of issues relating to the resolution of disputes and the recovery of stolen and looted items of art and cultural property. It also advises many charities, artists and estates as well as photographers, photo libraries and ultra-high-net-worth individuals on a whole host of issues. Daniel McClean is recommended; Alex Watt has an eclectic mix of clients including Middle Eastern art galleries and American art dealers; Elizabeth Morley is well-regarded; and Robert Lands has a particular focus on the visual arts sector.
London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
Howard Kennedy LLP‘s IP practice continues to act for a wide range of clients, covering trade mark and content licensing issues, as well as the commercial exploitation of IP rights. The team is adept at handling franchising, sponsorship and endorsement agreements for international brands and personalities, as well as advising on IP acquisitions. The ‘excellent’ Robert Lands leads the ‘first-rate’ team, which works closely with clients in the creative industries.
- Art and cultural property - London > Private client
- Media and entertainment (including media finance) - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Commercial contracts - London > Corporate and commercial
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design - London > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Art and cultural property
- Public sector > Civil liberties and human rights
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Private prosecutions
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: general
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Industry focus > Hospitality and leisure
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Corporate and commercial > Partnership
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Real estate > Residential property
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Private client > Family
- Real estate > Planning
- Dispute resolution > Professional discipline
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Property finance
- Employment > Immigration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport