Szecskay Attorneys at Law > Budapest, Hungary > Firm Profile
Szecskay Attorneys at Law Offices
KOSSUTH LAJOS TÉR 16-17
- Go to...
Szecskay Attorneys at Law > The Legal 500 Rankings
Hungary > Dispute resolution Tier 1Clients praise Szecskay Attorneys at Law's ‘exceptionally enthusiastic’ practitioners, who ‘search for new unorthodox and creative legal solutions with such flexibility that makes work with them so enjoyable.’ As one of Hungary’s best known litigation specialist practices, the group is consistently involved in high-profile Hungarian and international cases, often representing household names such as Sodexo and Richter Gedeon. Real estate, competition, pharmaceutical, energy and telecoms, public procurement litigation and damages actions are all growing areas of activity. András Szecskay is the rainmaker of the practice, which also includes team head Miklós Boronkay, an ‘extremely skilled legal professional’ and up-and-coming senior associate György Wellmann.
András Szecskay; Miklós Boronkay
Other key lawyers:
‘I work with György Wellmann. I am absolutely satisfied that all of our running cases are in excellent and professional hands. György is always available and delivers the solutions on time.’
‘The Szecskay team provides excellent legal advice. Not only are they strong from a technical legal perspective but they also tie that in with a very good understanding of the client’s business.’
‘Miklos Boronkay is an extremely skilled legal professional. He thinks out of the box and – together with his team – delivers high-quality work. He has an excellent understanding of the client’s business.’
‘I would like to single out Szecskay’s young, but already highly regarded partners Miklós Boronkay and György Wellmann from their litigation department. They are our go-to experts when we and our clients need assistance in Hungary.’
‘The practice is strong in both arbitration and traditional litigation. While delivering the same (or better) service as an international law firm, the tailored approach and flexible billing arrangements make them a much better value proposition.’
‘The team is reliable, providing excellent service and in the past 20 years always delivered the required results. I would like to mention György Wellmann who is extremely smart and providing top notch service.’
‘Very professional team and there is a great cooperation between the lawyers in the office.’
‘The dispute resolution team is exceptionally enthusiastic, searching for new unorthodox and creative legal solutions with such flexibility that makes work with them so enjoyable.’
DAF Trucks N.V.
DIGI Communications N.V.
Sodexo Pass International
CE Dynamic Kft.
Ambassador Project Kft.
Vintage&Prestige of Northampton Ltd.
Richter Gedeon Vegyészeti Gyár Nyrt.
MGI International Sales Co. Limited (Hong Kong)
Latvia MGI Tech SIA (Latvia)
- Representing various DAF Trucks entities in cartel damages litigations claims from over 100 plaintiffs in 27 parallel proceedings.
- Representing DIGI Communications in a public procurement challenge in which its bid, to participate in Hungarian National Media and Infocommunications Authority’s tender in respect to facilitation of 5G mobile network services, was refused based on alleged formal invalidity
- Representing Vintage&Prestige of Northampton Ltd, a UK vintage car dealer, to recover an unlawfully seized Aston Martin DB4 worth €500,000 from the Hungarian State. The case involves opening up ten years of investigative and court documents, including information provided by the UK authorities under legal aid.
Hungary > Employment Tier 1Szecskay Attorneys at Law demonstrates extensive capabilities in both day-to-day advice and litigated matters, and it acts for a broad cross-section of Hungarian and multinational clients. It has attracted new instructions from the Hungarian Outsourcing Association, Teleperformance Portugal and Bristol Meyer Squibb. Practice head Hédi Bozsonyik is increasingly in-demand for advice on home working policies and other matters connected with Covid-19. TMT, manufacturing and automotive sectors are key areas of activity. Katalin Grósz acts for clients in cases of breaches of contract, damages claims and many other labour disputes. Corporate lawyer Adrienn Tar also has a significant employment law practice.
Media Markt Saturn Holding
Swiss Post Solutions
- Assisted LogMeIn Inc with the sale of its Bold360 business, a leader in AI powered digital customer engagement to Genesys, the global leader in cloud customer experience and contact center solutions. The firm assisted with the TUPE (employee transfer) and all other employment related matters in connection with this transaction.
- Assisted DOQSYS Business Solutions (a system integrator, a significant player in the regional S2P automation and intelligent character recognition-based data capture market) in TUPE (transfer of employees) and all related employment matters in connection with the transaction involving the outsourcing of the document processing services of a US-based major car lease company.
- Advising Swiss Post Solutions, a global full-service provider in document management, on all employment related aspects, most recently in connection with collective rights and the negotiation of its Collective Bargaining Agreement and in the extensive reorganization of its workforce, including redundancies.
Gusztáv Bacher; András Szecskay
‘The main point is that the team is very reliable and very fast. They have great knowledge, especially in IP and copyright cases. We are very very happy to have such a good partner in Hungary’
‘David Kerpel always reacted very quickly and explained the special procedure in Hungary in detail. He also had creative solutions at the ready, which always led to the goal. His partner, Gusztav Bacher leads the team very well and gives his associates enough space to freely contribute their strengths.’
‘Great knowledge and valuable experience, good communication with the client’
‘Mr. Szecskay has a well-deserved reputation as a professional representative in IP matters, his capabilities are outstanding in litigation with a view to achieving agreement among the parties. Mr. Bacher has extensive experience and a great understanding of how the pharmaceutical industry operates.’
Ceva Santé Animale
Egis Pharmaceuticals PLC
Chapter 4 Corp (Supreme)
Zwack Unicum Rt.
Budapest Festival Orchestra
XO Trademarks LLC
CRU Hungary Kft.
MAN Truck and Bus SE
MGI International Sales Co. Limited (Hong Kong)
Latvia MGI Tech SIA (Latvia)
ART1ST DESIGN STUDIO LLC
- Represented Richter Gedeon, a major Hungarian pharmaceutical multinational in a petition to HIPO to grant a licence for manufacturing of Remdesivir, a medication which is used to alleviate Covid-19 symptoms.
- Advising DIGIC Pictures on copyright matters in connection with production of motion pictures. DIGIC Pictures is an 18-year-old animation studio based in Hungary that has made its reputation with its high-end 3D animation for feature films, commercials and within the video game industry.
- Representing the Hungarian subsidiary of CEVA Santé Animale SA, a French company, against Bayer Animal Health, which considers CEVA’s new veterinary product as being an infringement of its European patent No. 2 164 496.
Katalin Szecskay; Judit Budai
Other key lawyers:
Gránit Bank Zrt
- Providing ongoing comprehensive legal support to Gránit Bank Zrt. in connection with some of its bigger financing projects, including reviewing the loan documentation provided by the bank to its commercial clients and assisting in the re-registration of security interests in the case of portfolio transfers. The firm also advises Gránit Bank Zrt. on various other legal matters (such as corporate law issues).
Orsolya Görgényi; Sándor Németh
‘High quality M&A services in Hungary covering large and mid sized deals. Specialist lawyers are used for many areas increasing service quality.’
‘They are an independent Hungarian law firm with vast international experience and connections. They have real market experience and their legal solutions prove a very good understanding of business. You will hardly meet a team that is so responsive, aligned and puts their whole hearts in it to make a deal perfect.’
‘Szecskay Attorneys at Law has a very experienced commercial, corporate and M&A team, able to cover all legal aspects. They are very well coordinated, their advice is proactive and solution oriented and the quality across the team is consistent and high.’
‘Orsolya Görgényi: highly experienced M&A lawyer, perfectly understands and interpret transaction issues to client and perfectly understands market practices and standards. Good negotiator. Adrienn Tar is another very skilled lawyer in her team.’
‘Orsolya Görgényi is an outstanding M&A lawyer. She has a very profound legal background and a lot of negotiation experience in English. She reopened doors during negotiations that seemed to be shut by proposing new clauses and good compromises. She gained a high level of respect on the other side and has a very convincing impetus. ‘
‘Adrienn Tar and Bence Molnár are both very talented young lawyers with good commercial understanding.’
iData (Project Ferenc)
Supercharge (Project Neumann)
United Informatics / Gilder Investment
Johann Mader GmbH, Mader Logistic Kft
- Advised Spanish renewable energy and gas supplier Audax Renovables SA on the acquisition of a Hungarian power retailer, EKER from its direct owner, the local subsidiary of E.ON SE.
- Advised United Informatics / Gilder Investment on cross-border merger of the Dutch holding company into a Hungarian company within the group.
- Assisting the E.ON Group in connection with the sale of their 100% stake in the North-East Hungarian electricity distributor TITÁSZ to the OPUS Group.
Hungary > Competition Tier 2Szecskay Attorneys at Law‘s ‘individuals have a high level of knowledge, fast response times and work as a strong collective team’ to deliver ‘excellent service’. Highly active across a wide range of sectors, the practice excels in cartel and abuse of dominance investigations, as well as appeals against decisions made by the HCA and follow-on damages proceedings. Merger control mandates are a growing area of activity, handled by Bence Molnár. Other key lawyers include Gusztáv Bacher, whose practice straddles IP and competition law, and litigators János Vajda and Miklós Boronkay. Anikó Keller heads up the practice.
‘All the team members are very well educated, trained and have specialised experience and knowledge’.
‘The individuals have high level of knowledge, fast response times and work as a strong collective team. You feel their dedication to the firm and to their clients.’
‘This small law firm delivers excellent services. The level of their advice is up to international standards.’
‘Newly appointed Miklos Boronkay is extremely sharp, has in international orientation and is very pragmatic.’
DAF Trucks NV
Master Good Kft.
DIGI Communications N.V.
Emporia Style Kft.
Magyar Éremkibocsátó LLC
PPG Industries Inc
- Defending DAF Trucks in 26 court proceedings throughout Hungary against claims for follow-on damages on the back of the European Commission’s decision in case AT.39824 -Trucks and representing DAF at the EU Court of Justice in the landmark case C-451/18, Tibor Trans.
- Advising and representing DIGI before the Hungarian Competition Authority before the HCA and courts in connection with cases relating to unfair commercial practices.
- Representing the Hungarian leading poultry breeder and meat producer, Master Good before the Competition Authority in successfully obtaining a merger control approval for Master Good’s acquisition of turkey meat processor SáGa Foods from the UK-based Bernard Matthews Group. The case also included successfully defending Master Good in an unexpected post-clearance review of the concentration, initiated by the HCA due to misleading press articles. The HCA finally established that there was no infringement by Master Good.
Hungary > Tax Tier 2Szecskay Attorneys at Law has a strong track record acting for local and foreign clients in complex tax and customs litigation. Non-contentious work is also a key component of the practice; employment-related tax work has been a notable area of activity for the firm, specifically in the context of EU and non-EU clients’ employees working from abroad as a result of COVID-19 lockdowns. Róbert Dezsõ is a well-regarded litigator and the firm's main tax partner.
‘Professional knowledge and precise work’
‘Excellent competence and full attention.’
AMD Europe Kft.
Snohetta Innsbruck GmbH
Budapesti Ingatlan Nyrt.
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
AEV Europe Kft
Zebra Neo 2014 Kft.
- Continuing to advise Budapesti Ingatlan Plc. on all aspects of the company’s tax affairs, including the company’s successful transformation into a corporate tax free “real estate investment trust” and various contemplated foreign investments.
- Representing Noksel Celik Boru Sanayi, a major Turkish manufacturer from the steel pipe industry, in a customs-related dispute with its former Hungarian customs representative. The dispute involves disputes with both the customs representative and the customs authority.
Patrick Tausz; Attila Jásdi
‘Attila Jasdi is a very reliable partner, who is dedicated to solving problems and delivering results on time. His cooperation makes work easy, and after asking the right questions, he takes the task or challenge and comes back with meaningful alternative solutions.’
Aalberts Integrated Piping Systems Kft.
Auchan Hungary Kft.
Burger King (Fusion Investment Company Ltd.)
BIF (Budapesti Ingatlan Hasznosítási és Fejlesztési Nyrt.)
Ceetrus Hungary Kft.
Claire’s Hungary Kft.
Dunapack Packaging Hungary
Reckitt Benckiser Hungary
Meininger Hotels Hungary
Midas European Properties
Pharmaceutical Research Associates Hungary
- Advising Burger King (Fusion Investment Company) in relation to property maintenance and commercial leases of sites.
Hungary > TMT Tier 3Jointly led by Anikó Keller and Gusztáv Bacher, Szecskay Attorneys at Law‘s TMT practice demonstrates strong expertise in digital platforms and software, telecoms M&A, advertising and media law matters. It also represents telecoms clients in regulatory disputes with regulators and authorities.
Anikó Keller; Gusztáv Bacher
ID & Trust
XO Trademarks LLC
- Acting for DIGI in challenging the Hungarian Media Authority’s decision to refuse to pre-qualify DIGI Communications N.V. in the 5G frequency band auction.