Baker McKenzie is highly regarded for its expertise in complex banking and finance matters, including syndicated lending, trade finance, project finance, aircraft and shipping finance, acquisition finance, securitisation, and enforcement and recovery actions. The firm leverages its international network for multi-jurisdictional transactions and is markedly strong across Southeast Asia. Jointly headed by Justin Liang, Wayne Yang, and Bee Leay Teo (who specialises in compliance and regulatory issues) the team's size makes it well-equipped to handle large and complex transactions. Hao-Ray Hu, who has experience in fintech, and associate partner Evangeline Wang are also noted.
Banking and finance in Taiwan
EVA Airways Corp.
Cathay United Bank
E. Sun Comm. Bank
Yuanta Comm. Bank
Taipei Fubon Comm. Bank
ANZ Bank (Taiwan)
- Assisted EVA Airways Corporation as lessee in connection with lease novation from IGAF MSN 33755 B.V. to Sprite Aviation Netherlands No. 1 B.V. in respect of one Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.
- Acted as counsel in deal between Cathay United Bank and Taipei Fubon International Bank to arrange a syndicated facility to finance the development of a 30MW ground mounted solar energy project by Partners Group.
- Acted as Taiwan counsel for E. Sun Commercial Bank and its Cambodian subsidiary Union Commercial Bank in the refinancing of a shareholder loan to Orient Spark Limited, an SPV set up by Wanburg Pincus and its co-investors.
- Acted for Yuanta Commercial Bank and Yuanta Commercial Bank, Hong Kong Branch to arrange, a loan facility for North Haven Private Equity Asia Fortune Company Limited, a Cayman company.
- Acted for Taipei Fubon Commercial Bank in a $100m Syndicated Term Loan Facility for Bank of the Lao PDR.
Jones Day draws on its global banking, finance and securities practice in cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions. The team handles a full spectrum of banking and securities transactions, including secured and unsecured commercial loans and asset-based financing; project financing; real estate financing; acquisition and recapitalization financing; securitisation; acquisition and recapitalization financing; and mezzanine debt preferred stock financing. Practice head Raymond Wang has extensive experience in cross-Strait investment.
Cathay United Bank
Fubon Financial Holding Co. Ltd.
Neo Solar Power Corporation
Chinatrust Financial Holdings Co. Ltd.
- Advised Yulon in its syndicated loan of $300m from the Bank of Taiwan to finance a housing development.
- Assisted Neo Solar Power in the review, negotiation and translation of a loan from King’s Town Bank.
- Assisted Resonet Singapore with due diligence on its Taiwan subsidiary’s operations.
- Assisted StrongLED Lighting Systems in applying for convertible bonds.
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law
Lee and Li, Attorneys-at-Law's practice covers syndication lending, project financing, aircraft financing, ship financing, derivatives, factoring, distressed assets management, consumer banking and regulatory compliance. Clients include leading domestic and international banks, securities firms, insurance companies and other financial institutions.
Lin & Partners Attorneys-At-Law specialises in acting for investment banks and institutional investors, which it advises on a range of structured product and derivative transactions including equity-linked derivatives; fixed income-, currency- and commodities-linked derivatives; and convertible bonds. The team also handles matters involving banking litigation, real estate financing, trade financing, project financing, and anti-money laundering compliance. The practice is jointly headed by Kaiju Lee, who has a particular focus on financial regulatory matters, and George Lin, who is instrumental in the firm's developing fintech, blockchain and cryptocurrency practice.
Mercedes-Benz Financial Services Taiwan
Mercedes-Benz Insurance Services Taiwan
Mercedes-Benz Leasing Taiwan
Taiwan Green Power Co.
- Acted as external counsel for Paypal, providing regulatory advice on its day-to-day operations.
- Acted as external legal counsel for eBay.
- Acted as local counsel for Swiss Reinsurance Company and Swiss Re International.
- Advised Nutmeg Saving and Investment on robot banking.
Chien Yeh Law Offices has experience in handling a range banking and finance matters for corporates and financial institutions. In addition to financing transactions, the team handles a range of corporate matters for highly regulated financial institutions. The practice also covers contract drafting and negotiation of cross-border financing, syndication loans, financial leasing, project financing, and account receivable purchases. Chien-Ting Yeh heads the practice and senior counsel Emily Lee, who advises the Bankers Association of the Republic of China, is also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Bankers Association of the Republic of China
- Advised the Bankers Association of the Republic of China and assisted with promulgating self-regulation rules.
Formosan Brothers Attorneys at Law handles corporate finance matters including syndicate loans, term loans, project financing mandates, derivatives, and international financial planning. The firm acts for clients including commercial banks, financial holding companies and fintech companies. Key contacts include Lipu Lee, who leads the financing team, and compliance expert Terry Tu.
- Assisted a wireless antenna maker in preparing to apply for financing for expansion and restructuring.
- Assisted a commercial bank to incorporate an offshore banking unit in Hong Kong.
- Assisted a fintech company with compliance issues arising from the launch of a money transfer platform.
- Represented a commercial bank in recovering money confiscated in another country.
- Assisted a shipping company with financing to build two ships.
Lexcel Partners is best known for advising a wide variety of financial institutions. The group's primary focus is on general regulatory matters and licensing applications. The team acts for a number of asset managers, and regularly advises on the registration of offshore funds. Echo Yeh, Sue Su and Stacy Lo are the key contacts.
‘Stacy Lo is a reliable partner and mindful of potential risks.’
- Assisted BNP Paribas review and restructure their loan documentation templates.
- Assisted UBS to adjust their pledge structure and revise its documentation.
- Assisted HSBC to prepare the client documentations and regulatory application documents for launch of new business, including offshore bond trading and consigned trading of foreign securities.
- Assisted O-Bank to develop derivatives transactions client documentation, and provide related advices.
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm
Tsar & Tsai Law Firm's banking and finance team acts for banks and other financial institutions, both international and domestic. In the contentious space, the team advises on enforcement proceedings, including work-out arrangements and re-financing, debt collection and bankruptcy matters. Also of note, the team is increasingly expanding into the project financing space. Key contacts include Jackie Lin, who advises financial holding companies and banking institutions on a wide range of compliance issues, and Janice Lin, who represented the financing parties in the Formosa 1 offshore wind project. Lynn Lin is also noted.
Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank
Cathay United Bank
- Represented financing parties of Formosa 1 offshore wind farm (Crédit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank, Cathay United Bank, BNP Paribas, EKF Denmark’s Export Credit Agency, Fubon Bank, En Tai Bank, KGI Bank, DBS Bank, MUJI, ANZ Bank, and Société Générale).
- Represented Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group and syndicated banks in relation to a term facility of $61.8m.
- Represented financing parties of WPD offshore wind farm to successfully achieve financial close of the NT$94bn project financing.
Enlighten Law Group specialises in the resolution of financial investment disputes, in particular target-risk funds and high-risk derivatives, and have a strong offering in matters involving cutting-edge fintech, cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. Of particular note, the firm was involved in the first public ICO in Taiwan. The team has a developed capacity for cross-border and especially cross-Strait work, and is experienced in regulatory compliance matters across different global jurisdictions. Kunchou Tsai, Leon Huang and Laurence Kao jointly lead the practice group.
- Offered consulting services to Fountain Coffee to launch the first public ICO in Taiwan.
- Advised SDChain, a group of blockchain researchers, on regulatory compliance in their fundraising ICO.
- Acted as counsel for Cibizo, a joint venture launched by a Taiwanese fashion house and a Danish luxury goods company.
- Provided legal support for the creation of Contentos, a blockchain ecosystem.