The practice at Deloitte Legal, which is particularly well known for its expertise in international taxation and transfer pricing, is led by Brian Leonard, who has a focus on advising Spanish and foreign multinationals on tax planning, M&A and corporate matters. He is closely supported by a sizeable group of experts, including Jose María Gómez Rosende, an expert in the tax structuring of M&A transactions; principal associate Jorge Martín Girola Mariño; and senior associate Irene Reoyo Serrano. Recent work highlights include its advice to Másmóvil on the process and structuring of the takeover bid launched by Lorca Telecom Bidco for 100% of the capital of Másmóvil Ibercom.
Tax: The Big Four in Spain
Other key lawyers:
José María Gómez Rosende; Francisco Martín Barrios; Ramón Laynez; Irene Reoyo Serrano; Jorge Martín Girola Mariño
Grupo Piñero & LogiTravel Group
Viajes El Corte Inglés
Asterion Industrial Partners
KPS Capital Partners
- Assisted an energy and electricity entity in Spain in a tax audit.
- Assisted a utilities industry player in Spain in recovering VAT amounts worth €20m.
- Assisted MÁSMÓVIL with all tax advice in the process and structuring of the takeover bid launched by Lorca Telecom Bidco for 100% of the capital of Másmóvil Ibercom.
EY Abogados is a ‘great tax firm’, with a ‘very solid’ practice that operates in all areas of taxation, with particular expertise in transfer pricing and multi-jurisdictional matters. The department is jointly led by managing partner Ramón Palacín, who has broad experience assisting multinationals in international tax and transfer pricing matters, supply chain solutions and controversy procedures; and Rocío Reyero, the firm's regional tax leader for Western Europe. Other key practitioners in the team include Araceli Sáenz De Navarrete, who according to a client has ‘an all-encompassing view of tax issues and an exceptional knowledge of the financial sector’; ‘VAT specialist’ Eduardo Verdún; and Manuel Paz.
Rocio Reyero; Ramon Palacín
Other key lawyers:
Manuel Paz; Araceli Sainz; Eduardo Verdún; Alberto García Valera
‘EY’s tax team is made up of attorneys with deep knowledge of tax matters and extensive experience in their application. Its availability and advice tailored to the client’s needs stands out.’
‘Its high knowledge and experience in the management of the issues stands out, together with its accessibility.’
‘The team is excellent in many respects. I would emphasize its ability to carry out comprehensive tax analyses involving several jurisdictions and in which direct, indirect and international tax issues are mixed. Technically they are very solid and prudent.’
‘Araceli Saenz de Navarrete is, in short, a machine of working with an all-encompassing view of tax issues and an exceptional knowledge of the financial sector. I would highlight her ability to analyze very complex problems and the alternatives she is able to put on the table.’
‘Eduardo Verdun is a VAT specialist with a deep knowledge of the financial sector and the functioning of the Spanish and European Tax Administration, which allows him to anticipate any possible problems with his advice. Absolutely reliable.’
‘A team with magnificent professionals who have diverse and rich experience (in the private field, in the Tax Administration and in the Government), passion to face the challenges of their activity and international vocation. In addition to its technical rigor, I would highlight its alignment with the client’s interests and for its broad vision and creative approach when solving problems.’
‘Araceli Saenz de Navarrete is one of the most complete, efficient and hard-working professionals that I know. Indefatigable, meticulous, with extraordinary attention to detail, prudent and rigorous. Her ability to coordinate teams of diverse advisers and respond in a timely manner stands out.’
‘I would highlight Ramón Palacín and Alberto García Valera.’
- Advised Schwarz on the acquisition of Ferrovials’ environmental business in Spain and Portugal for €1.13bn.
- Advised Permira on the acquisition of German/Spanish pharmaceutical company Neuraxpharm from UK private equity firm Apax Partners for €1.6bn.
- Advised on the sale of Grupo T-Solar to Cubico by I Squared for $1.8bn.
Alberto Estrelles heads the Spanish tax department at KPMG Abogados, Spain, which is particularly known for its dexterity handling tax audits, litigation and controversy projects. Víctor Mendoza, who heads the financial services tax practice in Spain, and skilled tax litigator Julio Cesar García, who has a solid track record acting in tax disputes before EU and national courts, are other names to note. Recent work highlights include representing the Spanish Banking Association in an appeal submitted against the Autonomous Community of Catalonia’s Tax on Empty Dwellings.
Other key lawyers:
Víctor Mendoza; Julio César García
Asociación Española de Banca
Imperial Brands PLC
EUROLOG CANOLA SOCIMI, S.A. (Patrizia)
- Acting on behalf of the Spanish Banking Association in Supreme Court proceedings challenging a judgment issued on 17 December 2019 rejecting the appeal submitted against the Autonomous Community of Catalonia’s Tax on Empty Dwellings.
- Advised Macquaire on the tax and accounting issues associated with the purchase of a 40% stake in Spanish utility company Viesgo from Wren House (Kuwait SWF).
- Advised Imperial Brands on tax issues arising from the $1.12bn sale of Premium Cigar RoW to Allied Cigar Corporation.