Brodies LLP fields a team of dedicated, full-time tax specialists who advise across an array of real estate and corporate transactions in addition to related disputes. Isobel D’Inverno fronts the practice and is particularly knowledgeable of both Land and Buildings Transaction Tax (LBTT) and Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) and is particularly well placed to support on the structuring of inward investments; she regularly serves as advisor to the Scottish Government and Revenue Scotland alongside Alan Barr, an authority on the full array of personal and business tax matters. Other standout names include Karen Davidson, an expert in respect of the private equity and corporate transactions, as well as senior associate Heather Gibson who often advises overseas corporates on arising tax responsibilities.
Corporate tax in Scotland
Other key lawyers:
Alan Barr; Karen Davidson; Heather Gibson; Heather Thompson
‘We work primarily with Karen Davidson. She is a strong all round tax lawyer, which a particular strength in employment taxes. She is responsive and a very strong technical lawyer who is a pleasure to work with.’
‘Brodies know our funds, clients and assets well and have worked with us over many years. They are also able to bring new developments to our attention and inform us of any opportunities or implications which may arise.’
‘We work with Isobel D’Inverno and the team – the deep sector and client knowledge makes them invaluable.’
‘Isobel d’Inverno is a partner with a deep knowledge of her area and supported by a team who clearly likewise know their subject who worked well with our other legal advisors on a particularly technical piece of advice.’
‘The answers given are clear and concise and not caveated.’
‘We liaise with Brodies on a regular basis in relation to employment and tax advice. The team are always very approachable and respond within agreed timescales. The advice is always delivered at an appropriate level. Expertise in a range of areas – while our requirements tend to focus on certain areas the solicitors are able to direct to other colleagues when required.’
‘We mostly work with Heather Gibson in the Tax team. Heather is always approachable and friendly, she has developed a good understanding of our organisation and tailors her advice accordingly. Any advice provided is delivered at an appropriate level – usable for non tax experts. Agreed timescales for work are always met.’
Borderlink Broadband Limited
TPG Europe LLP
Mirador Analytics Limited
BAE Pension Trustees
- Instructed by BAE Systems to purchase the WaveGarden Scotland from Tartan Leisure Limited on a sale and leaseback basis.
- Instructed by Gresham House to establish a new woodland fund aimed at generating voluntary carbon credits under the UK Woodland Carbon Code.
- Advised the shareholders of Mirador on their tax position in relation to the acquisition of the company by US based Datavant group.
Dentons calls upon its extensive international footprint to support clients on a broad variety of domestic and international tax matters; examples include the planning and structuring of corporate transactions and reorganisations, employment taxation and share schemes, real estate tax, cross-border deals and VAT. Gwen Souter, the team’s practice head, is also a charted accountant and caters to a mixture of listed companies, multinational entities and privately held businesses; her team includes Lorna McCaa, dual-qualified as a charted tax adviser, whose expertise spans corporate and property transactions, tax-efficient employee incentivisation schemes, SDLT, LBTT and capital allowances.
Other key lawyers:
Lorna McCaa; John Finnick
M&G Real Estate (various funds)
The PRS REIT plc
The Edrington Group Limited
Axle Group Holdings Limited
Hurricane Energy plc
Scottish Equity Partners LLP
Bute Island Foods Limited (and its shareholders)
Evolution Equity Partners
John Lewis Partnership
Marshall Motor Group Limited
- Providing a full range of tax advice to Sigma Capital Group plc in relation to a £188m recommended all cash offer for its entire issued and to be issued ordinary share capital by Six Bidco Ltd, a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of investment funds managed by PineBridge Benson Elliot LLP.
- Advising Evolution Equity Partners as Lead Investor on Elliptic’s $60m Series C funding round. Elliptic’s business of cryptoasset risk management meets demand for a product that did not exist in any material way until recently.
- Acted for the shareholder sellers of Bute Island Foods Limited who founded and built the business, a leading producer of vegan cheese, to a Canadian multi-national. This was a significant and high value transaction for an area of Scotland outside the main population centres.
Burness Paull LLP operates across a broad variety of mandates including the tax aspects of corporate, real estate, private equity and international transactions. Ronnie Brown heads the practice and notably serves as advisor to a number of accountancy and law firms in both London and Scotland, especially in respect of LBTT; his team is also geared to support owner-managed businesses (OMBs) and individuals and routinely advises on employment-related tax matters, recently serving a number of public and private sector clients on the new off-payroll working rules. Director Nicola Williams is a new arrival from Dickson Minto WS and joins with a track record in advising on the tax aspects of share schemes, M&A, angel investment and private equity.
Other key lawyers:
Claire Macpherson; Nicola Williams
‘Burness Paull are always approachable, responsive and willing to take the time to explain and ensure that you understand the situation fully.’
‘Everyone at Burness Paull represents the firm to the highest standards.’
The Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited
Access UK Ltd
Kings Park Capital
Brookfield Renewable UK Limited (“BRUK”)
Lonsdale Capital Partners L.P.
London & Scottish Property Investment Management
Savannah Energy PLC
- Advised London based private equity firm Lonsdale Capital Partners L.P. in the sale of Cross Rental Services. The team provided general tax advisory services in relation to the sale, including negotiation of tax indemnities and warranties.
- Advising a Finnish listed company (UPM-Kymmene Oyj) on the disposal of a UK-based asset to a buyer based in Turkey. The group provided detailed tax structuring and transactional advice.
- Providing tax advice to Access UK Ltd in relation to their ongoing expansion.
At MacRoberts LLP, the team delivers transactional tax advice to both corporate entities and individuals, acting on matters such as property-related VAT, land and buildings transaction tax, tax-efficient structuring, the off payroll working rules and employment-related tax. Ainsley MacLaren heads the practice, leveraging over 25 years of dedicated tax work at both legal and accounting practices; her expertise spans VAT, share schemes and cash-based incentives, SDLT and buildings transaction tax.
Breedon Aggregates plc
J & J Denholm Limited
Menzies Distribution Limited
Renaissance Care (Scotland) Limited
Scottish Power Transmission
Scottish Salmon Company
Student Loans Company
Tillicoultry Quarries Limited
Wm Morrison Supermarkets plc
- Provision of advice in relation to the tax warranties and tax indemnities in relation to the sale of shares in Sutherland Independent Limited and Buchanan & Associates Financial Planning Limited to IWP as it continues its consolidation in the financial planning market.
- Acting for Tillicoultry Quarries Limited on the provision of VAT and land and buildings transaction tax advice in relation to the acquisition of 4 concrete plants in Scotland by Tillicoultry Quarries from CEMEX UK. This deal was a key strategic acquisition for Tillicoultry Quarries’ in broadening its geographic reach for ready mixed concrete products. The deal follows on from the acquisition by Tillicoultry Quarries of 14 new sites from BreedonAggregates in November 2020.
- Acting for the shareholders of JBB Ground Care Limited in relation to the sale of their shares to Nurture Landscapes Holdings Limited, providing advice on tax warranties and tax indemnities and other transaction-related tax matters.
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Services provided by Shepherd and Wedderburn include corporate transaction, real estate, share scheme, LBTT, SDLT, capital gains and income tax planning advice. Stephen Miller is particularly accomplished in terms of corporate acquisitions, disposals and restructuring in addition to property transactions and developments meanwhile Douglas Sinclair is a go-to for stamp duty compliance, venture capital relief and business disposals; both are charted tax advisers and members of the Charted Institute of Taxation.
Stephen Miller; Rodger Cairns
Other key lawyers:
Well known US-based gaming company
Major UK housebuilding firm
Well known UK telecoms company
Well known food retail business
Established fish farming company
Major investment bank
Well known trading company
Asset management company
Large listed telecoms company
- Advised a leading US gaming company on the tax aspects of its acquisition of a UK-based games developer and two gaming development houses.
- Advised a client on the tax aspects of the Initial Public Offering of a fast-growing client in the food retail sector, including a pre-IPO restructuring.
- Advised a leading investment bank on the tax aspects of funding the development of four purpose built student accommodation schemes.