Cobalt has a notable foothold in the transport industry and its team has experience of assisting with some of the biggest road and rail projects in Latvia. In the shipping arena, the firm acts for clients such as ship and cargo owners, as well as freight forwarders. Aviation is another area of note, with the team being the first port of call for clients such as AirBaltic and Riga International Airport. Team head Gatis Flinters is highly skilled in acting for international investors and is a key name in the market for the country’s growing emphasis on public-private-partnerships. In addition to handling non-contentious work for clients, the firm also has a strong reputation in contentious matters, largely owing to the expertise of senior adviser Ģirts Lejiņš.
Shipping and transport in Latvia
Other key lawyers:
Freeport of Ventspils authority
Moller Baltic Import
Riga International Airport
Skultes Kokosta SIA
Baltijas Sporta Auto SIA
- Advised European Investment Bank (EIB) and Nordic Investment Bank (NIB) on the financing of the Kekava Bypass road project, which is to become the first major private-public partnership (PPP) project in Latvia and the first large-scale PPP in the Baltics.
- Advised the Austrian company Swietelsky AG as a part of the winning consortium in the international tender for the construction of Rail Baltica train station and related infrastructure at the Riga International Airport.
- Advising IONITY Holding Gmbh on the development of high-power charging stations across Europe, including in Latvia.
Sorainen is instructed in the biggest road and rail infrastructure projects in Latvia and the Baltics, and it has also been very active in the digitalisation of the transport sector. The team is also highly skilled in contentious matters, with practice head Valts Nerets focusing on domestic and international issues concerning trade, transport and maritime issues. Other names to note include Ieva Andersone, who is knowledgeable about regulatory issues, and managing partner Eva Berlaus, who is experienced in handling corporate and commercial matters in the transport sector.
‘Team of great professionals. Available, business minded, with strategic thinking.’
‘Partner Valts Nerets is a skilled professional, always available, and true team leader.’
AS Nissan Nordic Europe
AE Industrial Partners
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR)
Wizz Air Hungary Ltd.
TUI AG Freight
One Bolt (Taxify)
Kekava ABT consortium
- Advising RB Rail AS and working together with the Governments of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania on establishing a European-width fast double-track Rail Baltica railway project.
- Advised Kekava ABT consortium on its contractual agreements with the government surrounding the Kekavan bypass.
- Acquired Domenikss, the representative of Mercedes-Benz in Latvia and one of the leading Latvian automotive industry company.
Ellex handles a wide array of work for clients in the road, rail, maritime and aviation industries. It assists with project finance transactions, procurement, M&A and regulatory matters. Raimonds Slaidiņš, who heads up the practice, is highly skilled in M&A and joint venture transactions in this space. Daiga Zivtiņa is experienced in acting for clients in shipping and transport disputes, while associate partner Maris Brizgo handles public procurement work. Associate partner Valters Diure, who handles aviation finance transactions, is another name to note.
Erste Group Bank AG
Nordic Aviation Capital
Heisterkamp Transport Latvia
Les Bergeries de Palombaggia
- Representing Volvo Trucks corporation in follow-on damages claims in Latvia in relation to European Commission decision regarding participation in trucks cartel.
- Advised Ford Motors on launch of new consumer app allowing customers to receive innovative services by connecting their cars via the app, such as navigation, service scheduling, promotional offers, etc.
- Advice on the development of a construction design of the aircraft maintenance and repair hangar, author’s supervision, and further construction in the territory of the Riga International Airport.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns‘ transport and shipping department draws upon the firm’s strengths in areas such as dispute resolution, employment, M&A, real estate, public and administrative law. Senior partner Māris Vainovskis is leading a multidisciplinary group that is acting for RB Rail on the Rail Baltica project. Ginta Krukle is an expert in public and administrative law. She is also skilled at conducting environmental assessments in relation to shipping and transport developments.
Other key lawyers:
‘Maris Vainovskis – charismatic professional in everything he does.’
RB Rail, JSC
“Latvijas Kuģniecība” JSC, subsidiary of VITOL S.a.r.l
Rīgas Satiksme, municipal JSC
- Provides day-to-day support and advice in complex matters to AS RB Rail, a 3.6-billion-Euro project, which involves construction of a high-speed rail line from Tallinn to the Lithuanian/Polish border by 2030.
- Represented LLC LatRosTrans in one of Latvia’s most complex cases, where the Belarusian company Druzba brought a claim against the client and requested to declare its ownership rights to technological oil located in a pipeline.
- Provide TNT with full-scope, daily advice on employment related matters across the Baltics.
TGS Baltic’s varied offering covers cargo damage and theft claims, major logistics agreements, as well as public procurement procedures. Andra Rubene, an experienced corporate partner, is heavily in this space. She leads the team alongside Ivars Grunte , who is skilled in cargo and insurance claims across road, rail and air transport. Associate Arina Stivriņa, who specialises in shipping law, is another key name.
‘An excellent team coming up with out-of-the-box ideas.’
‘Arina Stivrina is the mastermind of legal strategy.’
AS Latvijas dzelzceļš
Latvijas Balzāms AS
Inchape Motors group companies
Olaine Logistics SIA
Samson Materials Handling Ltd
City Bee Solutions / SIA „CityBee Latvija“
- Representation of AS Latvijas Dzelzceļš in court proceedings against the Latvian Competition Council.
- Provides Inchape Motors Group with an all-inclusive legal commercial, competition, dispute resolution and other assistance for all their business activities in Latvia.
- Assisted City Bee Solutions in the matters related to the VAT application to CityBee provided services, including evaluation of advance payment application.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Derling Primus) is highly skilled in procurement matters, with additional strengths in commercial, insurance and regulatory issues. Sintija Radionova jointly leads the team and is highly skilled in advising clients in the logistics and rail sector. Fellow practice head Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvējais notably strong in advising on public procurement contracts, counting Rail Baltica as a key client.
‘As shipping and transport area often demands knowledge in various jurisdictions, WALLESS team has always been professional and come up with the best solutions, even for the most complex problems.’
‘Partner Sintija Radionova has proved to be an exceptional legal professional endowed with wide area of expertise together with excellent work ethics and responsiveness.’
Alpha Shipping Company SIA
Havas Latvia SIA
KOOL Latvija SIA
LSEZ Dan Store SIA
Orlen Latvija SIA
Rizzani de Eccher SpA
Škoda Vagonka A.S.
TAV Airport group companies
UAVFAC TORY SIA
Modus Group companies – Baltijas Sporta Auto SIA
- Assisted Consortium “BERERIX” with regards to fulfilment of EUR 430.5m Rail Baltica public procurement contract.
- Advised Škoda Vagonka A.S regarding EUR 242m public procurement contract for the supply of 32 electric trains.
- Represented VAS “Starptautiskā lidosta Rīga regarding two separate amendments in excise tax regulation to fix logistic problems of the client.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Cukste Levin assists clients with contractual agreements, procurements, restructurings and shipping disputes. Vineta Cukste-Jurjeva leads the team, which acts for clients such as DHL Latvia and the Latvian Ministry of Transport.
Ministry of Transportation of Latvia
Latvian Road Traffic Safety Directorate
Bureau Ship Service
Latvian Passenger Rail Company
LDz Cargo NoEuropean Railway Lines
- Advised DHL Express Latvia on general support issues regarding contracts and regulatory compliance.
- Advised GEFCO on contract support and immigration issues for management.
- Advised Solaris Bus on a procurement dispute with a Latvian municipality.