The specialist shipping and transport practice group at Lex Law Offices handles a diverse range of issues arising out of the sector, including matters relating to bills of lading, sea way bills, shipbuilding contracts, sale and purchase agreements, personal injury claims and salvage issues, among others. The team also has demonstrable experience in contentious mandates, representing major domestic shipping companies in disputes at all levels of the Icelandic court system. Practice leader Lilja Jónasdóttir is a specialist in maritime and shipping law, and is supported by Birgir Már Björnsson.
Maritime and transport in Iceland
Other key lawyers:
Birgir Már Björnsson
‘Lex is already recognised in Iceland for their outstanding work in all areas of maritime law as well as general law.’
‘Lilja Jónasdóttir is an outstanding lawyer, especially in maritime law. She has the ability to see possibilities where there are few.’
- Representing Samherji in an investigation by the authorities in Namibia and Iceland into alleged bribes and money laundering in connection with the operations of Samherji in Namibia.
- Advised Síldarvinnslan in relation to the purchase of a 34.2 % share in Arctic Fish Holding.
- Representing Samskip in collecting damages from port authorities in Sweden, related to an injury suffered by an employee during docking in Sweden.
Maritime law specialist and chairman of the Icelandic Maritime Law Association Einar Baldvin Axelsson and aviation and aircraft finance expert Erlendur Gíslason co-lead a team at LOGOS, which stands out for its ‘experience and knowledge in the field’ and undertakes work that spans every aspect of the sector. In the shipping and maritime arena, the group is chiefly instructed on matters pertaining to contract of carriage issues, charterparties, port agency work, salvage claims, ship building contracts and personal injury cases, while also engaging in high-end litigation in the space. On the aviation sector front, the department equally excels, advising on aircraft acquisitions, leasings, financings and mortgage registrations.
Einar Baldvin Axelsson; Erlendur Gíslason
Other key lawyers:
Fannar Freyr Ívarsson
‘The team has great experience and knowledge in the field. It is by far the best team for both the local and international markets. Their office in London is also one of the main hubs for maritime law.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson is the most experienced in the team and with his knowledge and broad experience to cross over different industries a well.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson is by far the most capable, experienced and respected maritime lawyer in Iceland.’
‘The best office for maritime law in Iceland.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson has been outstanding in all his work for us, his deep knowledge of maritime law has helped us with handling various matters for so many years.’
‘Professional services with deep knowledge of the Icelandic corporate sector and international business and finance. They are well connected in Iceland, as well as in the global legal and aviation industry. They provide full service on aircraft leasing, financing and aircraft transactions.’
‘Erlendur Gislason is a great lawyer with years of experience in the aviation industry. We have worked with him for many years and have always received top service.’
‘Einar Baldvin Axelsson is almost like an in-house lawyer for our company. Very professional, reliable and quick to reply to all cases. I would always recommend the service of LOGOS with Einar Baldvin Axelsson in the front line. He knows our company very well and understands our needs.’
The Icelandic Coast Guard
The Shipowners P&I club
The Standard Club
Air Atlanta Icelandic
Atlantic Tank Storage
W.R. Berkley Insurance Nordic
- Reviewing terms and conditions of carriage for Eimskip Island and other Eimskip domestic and foreign subsidiaries.
- Defended TVG-Zimsen in the District Court of Reykjavík and the Appeals Court on a breach of contract matter and obtained a verdict of no liability and no damages on a claim for alleged delivery of cargo without production of a Bill of Lading.
- Advised Icelandair ehf., the Icelandic flag carrier, on a series of transactions in the introduction of the Boeing 737MAX 8/9 type aircraft into its fleet.
Juris maintains its reputation as a leading firm in the fishing sector and is particularly well regarded for its work on matters pertaining to fishing quotas and regulatory issues; it also has wider capabilities to handle the full range of work throughout the maritime and transport sectors. The team leverages its strength across the board to provide a multi-disciplinary approach to clients, offering expertise in associated tax, financing, dispute resolution, competition and corporate issues. Finnur Magnússon jointly leads the department with Sigurbjörn Magnússon.
Sigurbjörn Magnússon; Finnur Magnússon
‘They provide a very good service and have experts in all fields, with good contacts abroad if needed.’
‘Finnur Magnússon produces outstanding work and has a good response time.’
- Advising Ísfélag Vestmannaeyja on all aspects of its business, including vessel financing.