Iain Sutherland > Dentons > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
1 GEORGE SQUARE
- Go to...
Corporate and Financial Services
Iain is a senior partner in Dentons’ Corporate team and is based in our Glasgow office. He advises on a broad range of corporate and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, MBOs/MBIs, private equity, venture capital, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He regularly co-ordinates multi-disciplinary teams and manages complex domestic and international projects across a range of sectors.
Trained McGrigor Donald; qualified 1995; Henderson Boyd Jackson 1996-99; Maclay Murray & Spens 1999; partner 2003 to date.
Belmont House School, Glasgow; University of Glasgow (1992 LLB (Hons); 1993 Diploma in Legal Practice).
Skiing; walking; spending time with family.
Dentons‘ Scotland corporate offering, which dates back to its 2017 takeover of Maclay Murray & Spens, handles high-value domestic and international deals for leading businesses, fund managers, investors and lenders. Key areas of focus for the firm include public and private M&A, private equity and venture capital, corporate restructurings and equity capital markets work. The team is headed by Brian Moore and Iain Sutherland, both of whom have considerable transactional experience. Derek McCombe handles corporate finance transactions, and equity and debt fundraisings. Senior associate Owen McLennan is recommended for work in the financial services industry. Former Maclays chairman Michael Livingston and fellow partner Gordon Hobkirk have both recently retired.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment